My Antonia - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: dasenebler on 07-15-2010

My Antonia (named after the Willa Cather read), is a continually-hopped imperial pilsner. This lager for ale lovers is citrusy, sweet and refined.

My Antonia started out as a collaboration beer when Sam brewed it at Birra del Borgo (hope you can read Italian) outside Rome, Italy, with owner/brewer Leonardo DiVencenzo in October 2008. In 2010, we began brewing My Antonia here in Delaware for U.S. distribution.
Reviews: 547 | Hads: 1,748
1.85/5  rDev -54%

Doesn't even taste like a pilsner, tastes like a pale ale with more body, and isn't really that interesting.

Seems like the folks who think this is a good pilsner are IPA fanboys, not people who like actual pilsners. This is not how a pilsner, even an imperial pilsner, ought to taste. The hops are totally wrong. The beer basically tastes like pure overpowering standard Dogfish Head hops, nothing else.

Disappointed. Should not have trusted IPA fanboys (poor taste) to review beer! Shame on me. I was hoping that since Dogfish 60 minute is a pretty good IPA this would be better, but this has more nasty overpowering unbalanced hop flavor than the 60 minute! It's not even an interesting mix of hops, it's not even floral in character. It's nasty. Agh! I think it's the West Coast hops, because Noble hops do not taste that disgusting.

I pray for the day when more craft brew drinkers grow taste buds and realize how disgusting over-hopped beers are. After the first few years, you ought to realize that bitter beers are bad. Not to mention that hops are estrogen-mimickers. Say hello to testicular cancer!

Down the drain she goes! I don't feel like getting a headache from this impure over-hopped swill.

Executive Summary:
too sweet
doesn't taste like a pilsner - more like a pale ale

Simply adding "Imperial" or "Double" to the name of your style doesn't make up for defects.

This beer is neither clean nor crisp like a lager should be, and the drinker is presented with a sickening fruity sweetness.

It is not light in body or flavor, and the sledgehammer hops make this beer an overall unpleasant experience.

The flavors do not blend, and the heat of the alcohol sticks out like a sore thumb.

Dogfish makes wonderful ales of all sorts, but their first lager offering leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, literally and figuratively. Why not try something a little simpler, and work your way up to the "extreme" pilsner when you get that mastered?

2.72/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I typically don't go for pilsners, but was willing to give this one a try due to it being an imperial. For me, it started off good, but something in the finish didn't sit well on my palette. I found this beer to be drinkable, but not enjoyable.

2.78/5  rDev -30.8%

Served on-draught into a generic beer glass in Trastavere, Rome. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a two finger head of soft cream, decent thickness, and good retention. Colour is a transparent yellow.

Sm: Musty hops, fringe esters, and light amber hops. Aroma is of moderate strength.

T: Cream, amber hops, and unwelcome bittering hops. I hate the IPA-ish bittering hops, but leave it to Dogfish Head to throw them in there. It's alright, but the balance is off and the build is awful for a pils.

Mf: Coarse, fairly dry, and a bit too thick. Wretchedly done for the style.

Dr: This is an outright perversion of the style. The price is high (this was in Rome), and the quality is rather limited. I'll try it in bottle form back in the states, but it's far from high on me list.

2.81/5  rDev -30.1%

750ml capped bottle. Bottles on 2011 0711.

It pours a slightly hazy amberish gold. It has a bit white head that leaves some nice lacing.

The smell is big. But I wouldn't equate the scent to a pils. It smells like sweet pastry with some orange and noble hops.

The flavor is okay. Don't know how to categorize it. Not very bitter, some of it on the back end. It mostly is just light malt sweetness with a hint of orange. Very sweet, too much so.

Example of a failure when imperializing a style that aybe shouldn't be.

2.87/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish snifter. Bottle two of my three DFH big beers

A- pours a transparent shade of orange with a very puffy, three finger slightly offwhite head. Lots of carbonation. Looks gorgeous

S- mild aroma of grassy hops, but I'm not getting a lot going on here. Disappointing

T- there's definitely a hop flavor here, though it seems pretty muted. Bottle is two months old, so it shouldn't be this degraded....more of a sweetness to it as opposed to that solid crispness I'm looking for in a pilsner

M- medium bodied. At least this is solid....just what I'm looking for

O- this has the makings of a good beer, and I really don't think the hops should have fallen off as quick as they have....but what can you do? I'd try it on draught if I saw it, but I don't think I'd buy it in bottles anymore

3.01/5  rDev -25.1%

Sticky lacing, decent head, typical pilsner color.

Smells like a pilsner too. Grassy hops in there as well.

Nothing really subdued or interesting. Tastes how you'd expect a hoppy, high abv pilsner to taste.

Very well carbonated, dry clean finish.

Good for a pilsner I suppose, but the taste isn't too refined or memorable. Not too drinkable either.

3.05/5  rDev -24.1%

DFH My Antonia has a cloudy yellow body with a thin white head. Retention and lacing are both fairly solid.

The aroma has a good bit of sweetness, some pale malt and a ton of aggressive hops.

I'd been wavering on whether to grab a 750 of this at the beer store, so when I saw it on-tap I jumped on it. Lots of hops here, with grapefruit rind, a bit of pine, some more citrus, and a ton of bitterness. Despite the large amount of hops in this one it is too sweet. Instead of cracker or bready from pale pilsner malts I just get tons of sweetness. The yeast lends a little bit of a peppery flavor, and the finish is biting bitterness and a good blast of alcohol.

Aggressively bitter and a bit hot.

I didn't even want to finish the 10-12 oz pour of this one. I actually handed the thing off to a friend an ordered something else. Maybe I'm just a crisp, noble hop type of pilsner guy.

3.05/5  rDev -24.1%

750 ml bottle split between a pilsner flute and a 500 ml snifter. A very thoughtful holiday gift from someone that pays almost as much attention to the beers I've tried as I have. Not generally a pilsner fan, but this was my first imperial and I was quite intrigued.

Look- Opaque orangey-bronze, hefty head with decent retention and light lacing. A little sediment out of the end of the bottle. This beer really wowed me out of the bottle, though it's much darker than any pilsner I've seen before.

Smell- Bold yeasty funk, grassy hops, and banana and apple notes. Mild alcohol. Interesting scent, if somewhat overpowering out of the snifter. Out of the flute I got almost nothing. Again, it's interesting but I'm not a big fan and the funk seems out of place in a pilsner.

Taste- Fairly mellow after the smell, mild hops, light malt, and some alcohol. Nice, but nothing in particular stands out and it's a bit heavier than I'd like.

Mouthfeel- Snappy! Crisp, moderate carbonation, smooths out quickly and finishes cottony. Pretty decent, and definitely the most pilsner-like attribute this beer has.

Overall- As I mentioned, I'm not a big pilsner fan as a rule, but this beer grew on me a bit as the bottle emptied. It's definitely enjoyable, though I probably wouldn't pick it up again. I do have to dock it points though, because it really comes off to me as a crisp APA rather than a pilsner. I appreciate what the brewers were trying to do but it's got just a bit too much going on and the elements don't all mesh well for me. Not as "clean" as I was hoping for, if that makes sense.

3.1/5  rDev -22.9%

A - Hazy gold with soft white head

S - Straw, light hops. Not much of a nose

T - Straw, light hops, and a light funk that you didn't expect.

M - Medium body with light astringent finish

O - Decent imperial pilsner with good light sweetness and straw

3.1/5  rDev -22.9%

A- a simply massive off white head looms over the hazed golden amber body. on the initial pour, the foam fills nearly the whole glass and takes its dear sweet time settling. the hoppiness is evident by the head's wrinkly pitted surface, which is punched with more holes than baby swiss. thick globs and drips of lace are already encrusting themselves onto the glass. another attempt at filling it results in a column of foam rising above the lip of the pokal and wobbling like gelatin.

S- extreme fragrant hoppiness, and something that tells me this one may be too sweet for me. let's hope not. the floral notes come out to me first in the form of wisteria, jasmine, lilies, plumeria, etc. lemony and herbal are next with lemon zest, grapefruit, thyme, and basil and some grassy things. a bit of pale, cracker and biscuit malt show through here and there, but i'm still marveling in the beautiful expression of hops. and my expression is: "hell mothafu#$%&n' yeahhhh".

T- yep i was right. too sweet. damn it sam, why do you always do this to me! i know it's imperial and all but come on! delicious tropical pineapple, mango, grapefruit and lemony hops are all but obliterated by the sugary malt sweetness. it's bordering on unpleasant. alcohol flavor is brash and unmasked and at a meek 7.5%, it feels like something closer to 10% although its heat has yet to be felt. grainy and bready malt flavors are also hidden behind the thick blanket of sadness. finishes sweet and cloying with a shiver as hop flavor begins to overtake the sugars. hops become meaty and savory long on, with herbal and earthy notes coming to the forefront. i had very high hopes for this when i saw it on the shelf, but now i'm feelin' blue.

MF- hearty bodied with great bottle conditioned tight carbonation. alpha acids and hoppy feelings abound paired with an alcohol dryness and some powdery yeast, however sticky sugary yuck sticks to every facet of the palate.

D- although it's undeniable this beer was made with quality ingredients and craftsmanship, what i poured out of this bottle was a disappointing imbalance resulting in a ridiculously over hopped beer being subsequently over malted. or maybe underlagered? i don't know but i think the yeast needs to eat some more of the sugar and bump up the abv... or just make it one hell of a fragrant regular pils. but then again, that wouldn't be off-centered now would it?

3.12/5  rDev -22.4%

Served from bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter (proper!). Poured a golden yellow-orange with a three finger white head that subsided to a half finger very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wheat, grain, spice, pepper, bubblegum, and alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, bubblegum, grain, wheat, floral, spice, pepper, and alcohol. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty average brew. Nothing really stood out on this one for with the exception of the alcohol if I am honest. This made the enjoyable aspects of this one really lost in the booze going on. This was a bottle with some decent age on it so I would have expected the alcohol to be completely gone, but alas, there it was glaring back at me. Glad I got to try this one finally and get it out of my cellar, but I doubt I would do so again.

3.13/5  rDev -22.1%

A - poured in an ugly tumbler, very undeserving of a beer billed as an Imperial Pilsner. It has a light gold color, looks like piss. Not as effervescent or burnt looking as I expected either.

A - The aroma is hoppy, but not spicy or even malty. This smells more like an American pale ale than a German Lager. There's an aroma, but it's inappropriate.

T - Messy. This beer, true to DFH, is very malty. The hops play a role in the flavor, but don't lend the crispness or zest that's expected of a good Pilsner. Actually, they taste like American varietals - this biggest disappointment about this beer. Further, the beer is just too sweet and heavy to be any sort of interpretation of the Pilsner style...

Worst of all, it's not just a failed Imp Pils, it's not even a sub-par Helles Bock.

M - Pilsners are known for their dryness and drinkability. There are beers exceeding 7.5% alc which maintain that quality, so there's no reason this beer shouldn't. By being fat and messy, it doesn't even taste like a Maibock, it justs tastes fat and messy.

O - I like DFH and what they've done for the craft brew seen, but their projects soooo often seem to miss the mark. This is another example.

There are not too many Imp Pilsners out there. I consider that unfortunate because I consider Continental terribly underused by American brewers, and the lean malty profile of a Pilsner is a great starting point for hoppy beers.

I really hope other brewers use the traditional Pils as their benchmark for Imperial Pilsners, and not My Antonia.

3.14/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured from a 750 ML into my trusty "Crab House" pint glass. I paid $8 for this at Total Wine.

A- Looks great. Light yellow and bubbly, almost like champagne. Seems promising. 1/2" head with some decent lacing on the glass.

S- Here's where it starts to get weak. I really can't smell much of this beer at all. Some hop aroma masked by some citrus. Maybe this bottles is old. I mean it isn't going to be too fresh coming from DE to FL and sitting in a distro center for God knows how long and than how long was it on the shelf? Although Total Wine turns some shit quickly, who knows.

T- Good, not great. Just like the smell. It's clean but doesn;t stand out in any particular way.

M- Fairly weak also, kind of like a hoppy lager. not too bad, not too good.

D- My wife and I are drinking this one. She likes it, I'd pass on another one.

3.14/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

As much as I love Dogfish Head brews (the 90 minute is my fave) the effervescence is overpowering to the taste. This is a decent tasting brew. It's just a tough drinking beer.

3.15/5  rDev -21.6%

A- Pale golden body with an eggshell foamy one inch head.

S- Light floral hop notes typical of a pilsner, sharp spiciness, I can detect the malts backing this all up.

T- Boozy syrupy spicy hops, I'm surprised by the amount of booze detected here being that its only 7.5. This boozy character keeps getting in the way of the enjoyment of this brew, besides that factor the hops taste delicious.

M- Not as light and crisp as the typical Lager but it is an Imperial so its appropriate for the style.

D- The booze was just too distracting for me to really enjoy this bottle.

3.16/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours into my DFH snifter a slightly hazy, light amber color with about an inch+ of creamy white head and decent lacing. Aroma is light: some hops, a bit of grass, some yeast, maybe some lemon peel. Mouthfeel is of a medium body. Taste is of yeast, a bit of hops, maybe a hint of spice. This is my second attempt at this brew. I am still unimpressed. It tastes like a slightly better version of a cheap, mass produced pilsner.

3.16/5  rDev -21.4%

soapy white foam rises about 1 finger, an absolute torrential frenzy of carbonation in the body, lacing is good and the head retains shape when swirling and swigging, pilsner tone but just a shade darker than golden straw, a nice looking brew

sweet yeasty seltzer, some floral honey notes, hints of lemon, hints of bannana, for some reason I am thinking aventinus light

taste etc...
yeasty banana tone with a strange bitterness, teetering on cloying, the carbonation is close to weisthephaner weiss (nice) but something about the flavor is slightly amiss, the ABV kind of plays a hide and seek game, sometimes it is there, sometimes you forget about it...
the bitterness up front really seems out of place, like an over hopped weiss or something to that effect

I personally did not like this one, something about the flavors is wrong for me. it has some merits and may be in your wheelhouse but it just does not fluff my guff

3.17/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I'm not much of a pils fan, but I will definitely say that this one tops my list of the style. Dogfish's continual-hop M.O. puts the hops in the spotlight from a beautiful bouquet of hop aroma to a well balanced hop bitterness.
Overall, I do feel that My Antonia is just a lesser form of the 60 Minute, which I would take any day over this brew.

3.18/5  rDev -20.9%

Shared a 750ml bottle with a fellow craft beer lover last night ... thanks for the bottle Chuck!

When I got a chance to try this, I was excited, as the "Imperial Pilsner" has been a favorite since I had Sam Adams' Imperial Hallertau Pilsner for a couple years, while it was out. I thought that the epitome of the style. Let's see how Sam C. and DFH do by comparison. BTW, no date found on the bottle, so that's an unknow commodity in this review.

Pours into the glass as a light straw-yellow colored brew, with a bit of haze. Could be chill haze; or hop protein material ... not sure.

Smell is pretty light (especially when compared to the aforementioned Sam Adams offering) for an Imperial pilsner. My standard homebrewed Bohemian pils has more nose than this! Not impressed.

Tastes like it is under attenuated (translation for non-brewers - too sweet). This is, afterall, supposed to be a crisp, clean lager, with a biting hop presence. It is not crisp, nor biting in hop character. The sweetness is almost cloying. Mouthfeel is medium, which I guess is at least decent for the style. Doesn't feel quite "imperial" to me though.

Overall, I was disappointed in this DFH offering. I've been a fan of DFH since first trying their 60 and 90 minute IPAs. They do those very well. Their seasonals appear to be a bit dodgy (to use a Brit term). Punkin ale is fusel ... Imperial Pilsner is way too sweet ... what the heck is going on Sam? For the cost of this bottle ($8), you could purchase a six pack of Victory Prima Pils and come out WAY ahead in quality and quantity. As a final note, after my buddy and I finished the DFH Imperial pils, we opened a bomber of my own homebrewed Bohemian pils. We both agreed that my homebrew was far superior.

I don't know if this is a case of just an old bottle that is well past its prime, or if DFH totally missed the mark. I only know that I won't be buying any of it in the future. If you're curious, give it a shot, but I can't recommend it personally.

Na Zdravje!

3.27/5  rDev -18.7%

Smells great, looks a bit hazy for a pils. Mouthfeel is average for a pils. Taste is a bit disappointing as it has a strange bitterness to it that I have not experienced in a pils or an Imperial pils. About 2 fingers of head and I drank this out of a pilsner glass. Almost a weird chemical aftertaste. Not great not terrible. Very middle of the road-I was hoping for so much more. Cheers!

3.28/5  rDev -18.4%

Had a glass at Tap and Table in Emmaus, PA. I was looking forward to this brew as DFH always makes interesting beer and I can never get enough imperial pilsners.

I was a bit disappointed when the bartender served this up, however. The taste was dominated by apple juice (where'd this come from?) and had a very soft mix of floral and citrus hops. There was a decent bitterness, but the smooth and spicy nature of the beer reminded me a lot more of a Belgian IPA. I'd pass on having this again.

Reading the other reviews I wonder if something went awry with my batch. Only DKter's review below sounds at all like the beer I tried.

3.28/5  rDev -18.4%

This Imperial Pilsner is a far cry from the mass-produced American lagers, but not quite on the level of most DFH beers. There's a funky and bitter floralness to the flavor I didn't enjoy tasting as much as I enjoyed the smell. Points for uniqueness, but I won't be seeking this one out again.

3.29/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

750ml served in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

A - Hazy pale straw with a thick 2 finger head takes forever to sink. The beer leaves behind some nice chunky lacing.

S - Straw, alfalfa, pilsner malts, grainy, lemons, grassy, musty lager yeast, some skunk upfront but that fades as it sets.

T - Spicy hops upfront, lemongrass, citrus - lemons, and mandarin oranges, chalky yeast, sweet grainy malts, the peppery hops keep going into the finish. Some green medicinal notes come out as well as some astringency toward the peppery citrus finish.

M - Medium body, very smooth feel with adequate carbonation. Dry finish.

There's something strange coming from this beer. Not sure if these hop varieties play well together. I didn't love it as much as I'd hoped. Lemon cough medicine kept coming to mind. Smells better than it tastes.

3.3/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours with three to four fingers of quick-rising head that is slow to disappear. Appears heavily carbonated. A pale straw-yellow with slight green earth notes to it.

Smell - Hoppy, florally and fresh. A bit of a lemon zest to it as well. Smells earthy.

Taste - Floral and earth tones are present all-throughout. The hops used are malty, fresh, and delicious. Quite grassy overall with slight malt on the tongue.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - A slight ethanol taste on the swallow can sometimes take away from the earth and grass notes. Light bodied and easy to drink in a flash. A good beer; but nothing fantastic.

My Antonia from Dogfish Head Brewery