My Antonia - Dogfish Head Brewery

My AntoniaMy Antonia

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.50% ABV

My Antonia (named after the Willa Cather read), is a continually-hopped imperial pilsner. This lager for ale lovers is citrusy, sweet and refined.

My Antonia started out as a collaboration beer when Sam brewed it at Birra del Borgo (hope you can read Italian) outside Rome, Italy, with owner/brewer Leonardo DiVencenzo in October 2008. In 2010, we began brewing My Antonia here in Delaware for U.S. distribution.

(Beer added by: dasenebler on 07-15-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of My Antonia Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a golden straw body with a thick creamy head that sticks around, and loads of visible carbonation. Great lacing.

S: A sweet, yet dry aroma of lemon citrus hops, light pilsner malts, crackers, spices, & a bit of honey like sweetness.

T: Upfront lemon hoppy bitterness balanced with some sweet pilsner malts. Spices, honey, and biscuit malts all play out nicely together.

M: A very light, crisp, and refreshing mouthfeel with loads of carbonation.

D: I'm not usually a pilsner drinker, but this is really nice. Great mix of flavors and very well balanced. Very easy to drink.

BrewCrew2010, Feb 15, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -6%

Bottle. Pours hazy-golden with a short lived white head and lovely carbonation. Aroma is musty and hoppy. Full, crisp body. Biscuit malt is balanced on the palate by herbal hops with hints of orange fruit. Pleasant, long, hoppy finish. Nice, delicious brew.

mikeg67, Feb 14, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

I had high hopes for this beer, but was a little let down. Stylistically a muddle and not impressive in either direction. Still quite tasty and enjoyable but I had to let go of the idea of it being a pils - imperial or otherwise.

A - pours a hazy straw-yellow/gold with a dense and pillowy two fingers of head; good retention; significant lacing

S - lightly spicy hops with a preponderance of generically west coast pine/citrus/floral hops all around; hint of toasted malt; sweet malt and a honey note as well; I suppose the malt is detectably pils, but...

T - plenty of lightly spicy pine/citrus/floral hops start to finish - well-integrated into the body; more of the honey-inflected malt with toasty notes; good length and nice floral/malty finish; tastes like an IPA with a slightly Germanic influence

M - dense and creamy; rich almost syrupy texture; CO2 is right on - not very high, but keeps things alive; the mouthfeel is the best part of this beer

D - really quite drinkable, but I don't think I'll go back to it

nezelrac, Feb 13, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

pours a burnished golden-yellow with a touch of haze to it; two finger creamy off-white head shows good retention and great lacing. overall a very nice presentation.

nose is citric hop-forward with background notes of malt, honey, and maybe a hint of pepper.

crisp, hoppy flavor is reminiscent of an IPA, and while there is some style overlap, the pilsner malts remind you what it is. well perceived sweet, honey-like presence. 7.5% ABV is well hidden. reasonably complex and balanced. not the biggest fan of the style but this is tasty.

smooth, medium-bodied mouthfeel with prickly carbonation. decent drinkability.

perrymarcus, Feb 09, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -21.6%

A- Pale golden body with an eggshell foamy one inch head.

S- Light floral hop notes typical of a pilsner, sharp spiciness, I can detect the malts backing this all up.

T- Boozy syrupy spicy hops, I'm surprised by the amount of booze detected here being that its only 7.5. This boozy character keeps getting in the way of the enjoyment of this brew, besides that factor the hops taste delicious.

M- Not as light and crisp as the typical Lager but it is an Imperial so its appropriate for the style.

D- The booze was just too distracting for me to really enjoy this bottle.

foogerd, Feb 07, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

Served in my new Troegs sunshine pilsner glass. Amazing clear golden in color with a soapy white cap. Left tremendous lacing all throughout.

Smell is heavy with German hops as soon as the cork was popped. Earthy and medicinal notes and just flat out green grass. Spicey hops all in the background the entire whaft.

Taste was a bit of a let down to me.I thought it had a tremendous German and American hop billing but I found this entirely too sweet. Mostly what I am getting is a helluva alot of carapils,and sweet sugary sugars.

Mouth is full bodied for a pilsner and kind of thick for my liking. There is a nice bitterness left from citrus and green hopping but still too sweet on the palate.

This was my first offering of a Double Pils. Maybe I am just not used to the style but to me this was too sweet and not very good in the drinkability department.

TheFightfan1, Feb 06, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden straw color with a tall off white head.

Scents of sweet grass, alfalfa honey, biscuit malts, lemon.

This is really impressive. DFH has really pulled of what I would consider the benchmark of what I would expect for this style. It has nice lightly sweet honey-biscuit malt flavor up front then it moves in a floral/ grassy note and a touch of lemon peel. The finish is sweet and has a tropical/ candied lemon flavor.

Great medium carbonation with a nice soft feel. The viscosity is a touch higher than for regular pilsner but spot on for an Imperial.

I'm really impressed by this beer. It's big on flavor and very unique. Plus although it's an Imperial it's still refreshing. A very nice break from the giant hop bombs and huge roasted imperial stouts.

UA8, Feb 06, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -6%

A-Pours a very effervescent and golden color with two fingers of thick, white head.

S-Smells of piny, orange, and herbal hop notes with some light, grainy, malt.

T-It kind of reminds of Squall in that it has a lot of hop flavor but hardly any bitterness. I get orange and pine with big herbal hops and a light husky malt on the finish.

M-Very lightly carbonated with a light and slightly sticky mouthfeel.

D-Really easy drinking, I was expecting quite a bit more bitterness from the other examples I've had of this style. It's a very interesting and complex beer that I'm glad I got to try, but not sure I would purchase again.

samie85, Feb 05, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

750mL bottle poured a tulip. Thanks to cjacobsen for sharing!

(A)- Clear golden yellow color with a decent white head.

(S)- A dry piney citrus kick in front of some mellow/subtle honey sweetness.

(T)- Same as the smell. A good dryness and piney citrus kick.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Lightly hoppy and sweet. Minimal bitterness.

(D)- A good imperial pilsner. Smooth and crisp with an ample hop addition. Pretty good

sweemzander, Feb 05, 2011

My Antonia pours a gold color. It's nice and clear. Looks bright gold with perhaps an orange tint when held to light. The head is white and stands about a finger and a half tall. It's relatively quick to recede, leaving a moderate amount of sticky lace in its wake.

The first whiff reveals a very healthy dose of Pilsner malt. If you're wondering if this might be mistaken for an IPA, the answer should be a resounding 'no.' It's a little sweet smelling but not overly so. Hops are a little strong in the mix. They smell mostly grassy and herbal. Noble hops? I believe so. There's a bit of pepper, but that's about it in terms of spices. Alcohol is masked well. Not bad. Not bad at all.

The flavor is good. I still think there's little questioning its Pilsner status. The Pilsner malt base is slightly sweet and sturdy. The hops are definitely noble - grassy and herbal. They add a little bitterness, and dry it out quite a bit. Spicy pepper and a spicy yeast flavor add nice depth. Yeast is more notable than you'd think, and has a positive overall effect on the flavor. Alcohol is masked very well. It's not much of a factor. Finishes spicy, grassy, and a little dry. Good stuff.

My Antonia has a medium body that's nice and smooth. Carbonation is relatively light and lends to its smooth feel. Drinkability is good. For a lager style beer, this is tasty and quite impressive. I like it. It goes down relatively smooth and easy.

My Antonia is an impressive Imperial Pilsner. It's not my favorite, and doesn't come quite close to displacing Sam Adams Hallertau Pilsner. Nonetheless, it's an impressive beer for the style. In terms of critiquing it, I don't have much to offer. Maybe add some sort of citric hop? I don't know. Nonetheless, it really is good as it is. Definitely worth checking out.

prototypic, Feb 05, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -9%

Dogfish Head My Antonia is a very sparkling, slightly hazy golden lager with a huge, pillowy white head that has outstanding retention and lacing. It has a doughy aroma with a little grass and spice. It's pretty full bodied; lively, but smooth with a really clean, dry finish. It has a simple, well hopped taste. There's a leafy bitterness. It's a little sweet and a little boozy. It goes down real nice.

yesyouam, Feb 04, 2011

Poured from a 750ml bottle into two pint glasses.

A - Pours a hazy golden straw color with some light orange hues. Looks nice and refreshing and pours quite thick and syrupy. I'm intrigued. A nice three finger white head develops and has great retention leaving a nice amount of stringy lacing on the glass.

S - Smell is of sweet notes and grapefruit hops. Smells pretty hop forward with alot more hops than I was expecting for a Imperial Pils.

T - Taste is of pineapple and grapefruit hops. Some sweet toffee notes follow and then the ending taste is very clean. No left over mouthfeel, not even bitter hop taste.

M - Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Great carbonation to back up the hop flavor.

D - A easy drinker that is quite nice and refreshing.

S -

Tifore, Feb 04, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

22oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass

This beer poured out thick feeling and produced a beautiful off-white head that stayed fluffy for several minutes. The color was somewhat hazy but golden and the bubbles were slow rising. There's a nice hoppy citrus aroma I wasn't expecting. Distinct crisp grapefruit notes lead me to believe there's more hops in this beer than you'd expect for a pilsner style. The heavier mouthfeel tips off the high alcohol content.

The grapefruit aroma is now tasting like a pineapple flavor. Crisp, with very little lingering after taste, this beer finishes clean with a slight hint of creamy butterscotch that reminds me of the 90 Minute IPA.

This is an excellent beer that I liked a lot more than I thought I would. It's a very enjoyable beer to treat yourself to.

mjrod2142, Jan 30, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +11%

750mL bottle, purchased in Columbus for something like $8. It pours a golden-orange color, slightly hazy with a wet looking foam on top. Very nice aromatics, this definitely has a pilsner base but the hops are amped up big time, not quite the same as Sam Adams Hallertau but maybe a first cousin. Rather than Hallertau hops this has plenty of Saaz style spiciness, also some juicy citrus that I associate more with American IPAs. It tastes very nice, not really a refined pils but rather more of an agressive IPA. Lasting bitterness in the aftertaste but it's a flavorful bitterness so I like it. Creamy mouthfeel, very good match with the flavors, overall an excellent beer. I'd be happy to have it again any time.

TurdFurgison, Jan 30, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +4%

750ml poured into a pilsner glass.

I was saving this one for the last month or so, but just picked up another one so I came home and cracked it right away.

I am not generally a pils fan, but the continually hopped part captured my interest.

What a tasty beer. Has the fruity and bitterness of those west coast hops and the subtle and pleasing sweetness of the pils malts.

I found this beer extremely drinkable and am looking forward for the next bottle.

PalatePilot, Jan 30, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

A - deep golden yellow, the slightest bit hazy, with a big eggshell head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S - Clean malt profile with light hop background. A nice, simple balance.

T - This is a nice and crisp beer. The hops are mostly bitter, with a little bit of a lemony flavor too. Its nicely balanced, with the light malt flavor not being overpowered by the bittering hops.

M - Light, but intense carbonation. A tad bit drying. Feels pretty good, nothing too exciting.

D - Very easy to drink! And I like it!

ColdPoncho, Jan 29, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

my my my antonia,what a beer,grassy hop flavor.This beer begs to be savored.Clean finish,slightly cloudy brew.Only problem is the price tag,but found them to be much cheAPER IN NY STATE.Wish they would decide to brew this year round.would be nice to get this in 12oz bottles.

Aggie69143, Jan 29, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

I was pleased to see this on the tap menu at Cobblestone's - served chilled in a goblet.

The clarity is like crystal - practically transparent with sudsy white foam atop which has an almost shiny smooth topography. The bead is fine and lace sticks like sap to the goblet-no carbonation is visible in the liquid. A strong herbal fragrance with hints of sweet leafy hops and floral alcohol esters w/ mild pils malt aroma which reminds me of my first taste of Pilsner bier in the Fatherland w/ hops and malt given equal creedence. The yeast provides a mild sulfur accent which gives the impression of a traditional european pilsner smell. The feel is wonderful -it is both dry and slightly bitter w/ a mild tinge of sweet pils character with light amount of toastiness and medium amount of carbonation and bitterness with a semi-dry finish.

The taste has herbal sweet and lightly malty qualities with low bitterness in the flavor and smooth lemony noble hop accents. The gentle alcohol flavor and spice provides some contrast to the mild honey-like tinge from the malt. There is a mild level of fruitiness and toasted elements in the flavor with hints of floral noble hop tinges throughout. I almost get a sweet golden delicious aspsect from the pils near the finish which is probably yeast derived. I find this to be a wonderful Imperial Pils -a beer I would drink daily if given the chance. It is not boring to me, very flavorful and it fits the style well. I would recommend this to German Pils fans and it went well with my brats with spicy dijon mustard countering the fattiness well.

Slatetank, Jan 26, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

750 ml capped bottle into a couple of Pilsner glasses.

Pours a crystal clear copper, with 2 ½ fingers of foamy bright-white head. This retains with a big dollop of froth in the middle of the glass that stays very rich and coats the sides of the glass with heavy sticky lacing. Just a great look to this. The aroma is grassy, spicy, and citric with some tight malty grains underneath. The zesty fruit and bread character here just drive this.

The taste is earthy bitterness and fruit, which is undercut by a nice soft biscuit-like sweetness from those Pils malts. The finish is dry and very pithy feeling with a lingering spiciness. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied, with a pleasant easy carbonation in the mouth. Maybe just a touch of alcohol creeps out underneath but this is relatively silky smooth overall and yet still manages to have a bit of a snap to it as well.

VERY well done take on the Imperial Pilsner style here, with a flavorful and nicely balanced character that is driven home by the ridiculously smooth body on this. I initially split this because I thought that it was going to be a warm and overly sweet affair but was pleasantly surprised to find the opposite. Heck, I could have drunk this whole bottle my self! An excellent job by Dogfish Head keeping this one accessible despite the higher ABV.

Kegatron, Jan 25, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Not my favorite style, but usually because tangy lager yeast takes over. There are some notable exceptions that are quite pleasant, and I'd add this one to that list. Crisp and dry, with just a touch of tanginess, and lots of floral and some earthy hops. Pours a pale amber/golden with a somewhat thin head, but some lacing as well. More tanginess in the nose, more hops in the flavor. Quite smooth,very dry, and quite enjoyable.

Georgiabeer, Jan 25, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin off white head that slowly faded away and left lacy patterns of bubbles floating on the surface.
S: There are aromas of citrus and floral hops in the nose.
T: Grapefruit flavors from the West Coast hops prominently stand out in the overall taste, which has a mild amount of bitterness. The flavors also have some notes of grainy malts and hints of malty sweetness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and somewhat crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. There are some hints of dryness in the finish.
D: The beer is rather drinkable because the alcohol is well hidden from the taste.

metter98, Jan 25, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

A: light golden color with a medium cloudy opacity. This is different for a pilsner. Huge billowy white head that leaves a nice ring of sticky lacing.

S: Typical pilsner malt on the nose, with an almost saison like grassiness.

T: crisp, almost like a pilsner saison hybrid. Lemon zest, hay and a combo of german and american hops create an unusually pleasant pilsner experience! another win for DFH!

M: medium carbonation, creamy, smooth. I'd say this is medium bodied, but probably holds true given its an imperial pilsner. It does feel heavier than a normal pils. Rolls right off your tongue. Very clean.

D: Easy drinker, very refreshing.

julian, Jan 24, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

My first experience with this beer was luke warm on a train out of the bottle. I recently picked up another bottle to properly enjoy it out of a glass.

A - Good yellowish head, beer was cloudy with a nice amber color
S - Can smell some citrus nothing to overwhelming or to really write home about
T - Hoppy with good carbonation and some citrus grapefruit flavor, tart finish
M - Soft, Thick, and Fizzy. nice
D - at 7.5 abv it is a heavy beer and this is reflected in its ok drinkability

My Antonia is a nice pilsner from dogfish, but I think I will be sticking to their ales and other offerings.

BizzyQU, Jan 24, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +1%

209th review on BA
bottle to pilsner

App- Dark yellow pour with some minimal looking bubbles that radiate upward from the bottom of the glass. A huge 3 finger head with soft white craters.

Smell- A very soft smell on this one. Has a touch of hops and the pils malt. Not much I am getting besides some bread dough or biscuts.

Taste- A very deceptive beer on first taste. Has a taste I can't pinpoint but it lends itself to a fruit. It's a bit generous with the sugars/ginger that DFH likes as well.

Mouth- Light/medium body with a med/high carb feel to it.

Drink- DFH does it again. Off centered ales for off center people. I am beginning to think I am not normal. Not the best pils in the world but still pretty good as its meant to be different

FosterJM, Jan 23, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Review from notes 1/19

A: Clear golden color with a fluffy white head. Leaves very nice lacing.

S: Lots of grassy hops and a little bit of pine. There is also a really nice lemon scent.

T: The initial taste is dominated by hops, but not very bitter. It is much more earth/grassy. There is a nice spiciness as well. The pilsner malts come through at the end, but the hops mute them a little bit.

M/D: Medium bodied, has a slightly bitter finish, but not a negative at all. Very nice carbonation for a pilsner. Overall very enjoyable, one that I will pick up again for sure.

mdaschaf, Jan 23, 2011