My Antonia - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: dasenebler on 07-15-2010

My Antonia (named after the Willa Cather read), is a continually-hopped imperial pilsner. This lager for ale lovers is citrusy, sweet and refined.

My Antonia started out as a collaboration beer when Sam brewed it at Birra del Borgo (hope you can read Italian) outside Rome, Italy, with owner/brewer Leonardo DiVencenzo in October 2008. In 2010, we began brewing My Antonia here in Delaware for U.S. distribution.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of My Antonia Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a DFH snifter. Not my usual style, but I'm game. Gold, looks pilsner/IPA-ish. Finely bubbled easily-rousable foam.

I'm surprised at how close this smells to what I would normally think of a pilsner smelling like. It smells like a pilsner, albeit with some citrusy American hops and more-intense pilsner malt.

Taste is much cleaner than I would normally expect a DFH beer to be. Which is actually pretty true to style. Clean, crisp malt backbone, allows grassy and citrusy hops to come out and play. Slightly resiny on the palate, but nothing really that viscous.

Would have to be one of the more drinkable Imperial Pilsners out there. Who would have thought A) DFH brews a lager, B) it's actually hewing very close to style guidelines? Pretty solid work here, I think. I know some will probably knock this for not being wild and crazy, but to me this shows better brewing range than I really expected out of DFH. When you brew something like World Wide Stout or 90 Minute IPA, you can hide flaws, but this, not so much. It's clean, it's damn tasty. No real flaws I can taste. I'm probably even underrating this a bit.

I also like the fact that this is unquestionably Imperial, but at 7.5%, not as high as others that have been seen in this style. This is a good strength for this beer.

A - Served with a clear, golden body that had a one finger, white head...the head showed nice retention and slowly fell into a wispy cap which late gave way to a strong bead...nice lacing...there was actually some suspended sediment just hanging out

S - The nose featured bready and grainy malts...grassy hops were present...and a fruity aroma was also lingering

T - The hops jump out first and actually have a bright, West Coast presence to them...they provide a different fruitiness to the beer...the middle was sweet with caramel and other fruity flavors...the middle also showecased the bready malts...grass hops finished the beer and gave it an Earhty flavor

M - Light bodied...crisp and refreshing like a pilsner should be...nice bitterness

D - This one did not blow me out of the water...this was a "good" pilsner...I expected a little more West Coast hop flavor and something different coming from DogFish Head...but like I said, don't get me wrong, this was a "good" beer

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

This beer poured a clear gold color and formed a nice big foamy off white head that coated the sides with lace. A medium amount of carbonation is present and it looks like a float. An aroma of grain, light hops, lemon and pepper. The favor was of malt, hop, bread and lemon with a hint of pepper. The body is light and the finish slightly astringent.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a nonic.

Pours a clear golden colour with a massive three fingers of head that retains some nice, fluffy head all the way down. The smell is very hoppy, with tropical fruits. Nice bready pilsner malts are also present. The taste on this is also very good, it's almost like a hybrid of a delicate pilsner and a tropical fruit bomb of an IPA. The bready delicate pilsner malts are present, along with some nice bitter hops and tropical fruits, both very well balanced. There's also just a touch of alcohol present, but nothing distracting. Basically just tastes like an amped up pilsner in the best way possible. As it warms it gets grainy and astringent, this one is surely to be enjoyed chilled.

The mouthfeel feels medium bodied and well-carbonated, but there's a bit of a hop stickiness that I find a little bit out of place with the balanced flavor profile. The drinkability is very good as well. I'm glad Dogfish has a lager out in production. Of course, it's very big and very Dogfish, but it's still great.

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

Clear, golden color with a thick, foamy white head. Aromas of earthy grains and fresh dough, with some grass, too. Taste is firm, and very dry from a dominant profile of hops. Quite bitter, and not the softer, easy-drinking grain flavors that one might expect in a pilsner. It is pleasant to drink but bone dry. Given the one-dimensional and bitter flavor profile, I think it would be better matched with some ripe cheese and fruit, rather than as a stand-alone.

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a light gold, huge, fluffy head, doesn't recede. Had some hop scents, some bready notes. This was not what I was expecting from a pilsner, but not in bad way. More hoppy than I expected, crisp and did follow through with some biscuity essence. The mouthfeel was crisp and is a drinkable pilsner. A nice offering from DFH.

4.75/5  rDev +19%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1pint 9.4oz bottle into a Pilsener glass. The label has a short description of the beer and its abv. (7.5%) No freshness date.

Appearance: It has a light hazy with a nice golden hue and a tall rocky head to top it off. (The last glass has a much heavier haze.)The head has excellent retention and it clings to the glass leaving lots of thick chunky lacing behind.

Smell: This is lovely and full of fruity pale and biscuity sweetness with juicy hops. Notes of pineapple, peach and floral/citrusy hops fill the nose.

Taste/Palate: To start with I must say that there was less hop bitterness than I was expecting from the continually-hopped beer. What was there was in very good balance. As with the aroma I picked up nice tropical fruit notes on sweet pale biscuity base, complemented with citrusy hops. The finish is fruity and balanced with pleasant hop bitterness. On the palate it has a firm medium feel with nice lively and balanced carbonation.

Notes: This is just an outstanding lager beer and I would highly recommend this to anyone!!!

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Thanks goes out to Hojaminbag for this brew.

750ml
Bottled In: 2010 2B

Poured into a DFH glass a very nice hazy golden yellow color, nice carbonation, very nice two-finger creamy white head, with some very nice sticky lacing to follow. The nose is malty, with some nice hop notes, slight citrus note. The taste is slightly sweet, bitter, malty, hoppy, with some citrus notes. Medium Body, nice dry/bitter finish. Drinkable, a very nice brew, glad I've gotten a chance to try it.

4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

750mL bottle poured a tulip.

A- A clear golden color, that leaves about an inch of off white head. A good amount of lacing as well.

S- Sweet smell of honey, with hints of citrus, great job DOGFISH!

T-Taste just like the nose, fantastic sweetness, with a bit of hops.

M- Perfect amount of carbonation, some what creamy, subtle.

D- I loved this pilsner, great beer from Dogfish, will buy it every time.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

750 ml bottle, bottled in 2010 2B.

Pours typical pilsner color being golden straw with a nice 1.5 finger bone white head that laces better than any pilsner ive ever poured.

Beautiful floral aromas for a pilsner, hops are dominant with citric and floral quality's. Pilsner malt is present but plays a backbone role and doesn't overkill.

Taste is very unique, almost like a hybrid of an IPA and pilsner. Hops are very present more so than any pilsner Ive ever encountered. Lemongrass with some pine clippings balanced oh so well by a pilsner malt crispness.

Medium mouthfeel with an amazing crispness, great full active carbonation makes this one a crisp refreshing pils.

Great drinkability and very flavorful for a style that doesn't usually get this hopped up.

3.03/5  rDev -24.1%

Sticky lacing, decent head, typical pilsner color.

Smells like a pilsner too. Grassy hops in there as well.

Nothing really subdued or interesting. Tastes how you'd expect a hoppy, high abv pilsner to taste.

Very well carbonated, dry clean finish.

Good for a pilsner I suppose, but the taste isn't too refined or memorable. Not too drinkable either.

4.72/5  rDev +18.3%

I've seen some reviews claiming this beer, "doesn't taste like lager/pilsner." All I can say in response is, Duh!

I'm not usually a lager guy, but as soon as I saw the pour on this beer I was interested. The head was thick and cream-colored, balanced on top of a beautifully honey-colored brew.

The aroma was impressive. Honey, flowers, amazing hop depth.

Then I tasted it...

The mouth feel is smooth and close to perfect. And, as expected, the hops jump right into your head. Slightly sweet up front with a bite of hop bitterness at the tail end.

This is easily the best pilsner I've ever tasted. From the sight, smell, feel and flavor it ranks very high in my all-time favorite beers. Definitely worth taking time to enjoy.

By the way... I drank this beer alongside a freshly made bowl of smoked tomato soup with bacon and a provolone & gouda grilled cheese.

Executive Summary:
too sweet
over-hopped
doesn't taste like a pilsner - more like a pale ale

Simply adding "Imperial" or "Double" to the name of your style doesn't make up for defects.

This beer is neither clean nor crisp like a lager should be, and the drinker is presented with a sickening fruity sweetness.

It is not light in body or flavor, and the sledgehammer hops make this beer an overall unpleasant experience.

The flavors do not blend, and the heat of the alcohol sticks out like a sore thumb.

Dogfish makes wonderful ales of all sorts, but their first lager offering leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, literally and figuratively. Why not try something a little simpler, and work your way up to the "extreme" pilsner when you get that mastered?

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

purchased at joe canals in Egg harobr township NJ
bottle 750ml
drank on 2/22/11

My Antonia pours with a cloudy amber color with a creamy, frothy head. You can smell the hops right off the top of the pour as it went into the glass. It was a clean, smooth drink with the nice bite of hops but not too much where your taste buds are hurting. It is a smooth drink from first sip to bottom of the glass. The extra kick is the higher ABV, which is needed here, I think if it was lower the beer would suffer.

This is the best Pilsner I've ever had. It pours out a real nice hazy thick golden yellow letting you know that they put some quality hops in this. You take a smell and yup they sure do. You get that grapefruit. herbal, tea and some pine hops with the grainy sweetness from the malts. The taste is exactly like this with the flavor rolling across your tongue just like any quality IPA with that herbal piney grapefruit taste with some tea like tasting hops coming from the Noble hops they use. It leaves you with that sweet German pilsner malt that you'd find in quality German beers and then ends with the herbal, tea, grapefruit and piney hop bitterness that almost reminds me of a bit toned down version of a West Coast IPA mixed with Noble hops.

The smell and taste of this beer is so amazing for a Pilsner that they should literally send this to any of the big 3 breweries just to let them know what a real one can taste like... do they even know? I can't see how they don't. This beer reminds me of the Prima Pils by the Victory brewing company very much actually. I like this better though because its a bit more complex and has a thicker and creamier mouthfeel.

Dogfish can really brew their ales but this proves they know how to really brew a lager just as well. Amazing mouthfeel doesn't feel light at all and the 7.5 alcohol is covered up as much as possible for a lighter pale beer. It's covered up so well and you don't that typical beery alcohol yeasty taste you'd get from most lower quality pilsners. This is like a German IPA and I really wish they could brew more of this one year round! With that being said this beer deserves way more notice than it gets.

3.83/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a wine goblet.
Cloudy gold in color, with a big billowing head of bright white foam.
Aroma-Faint, perfumy hop notes
Taste-Sweet, mildly toasted malt, leading to a bit of a hoppy bite in the finish. Seems like a pale ale/pilsner hybrid. A bit more on the subtle side as I was expecting a big dose of Saaz hops and more fuller flavor.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a cloudy copper color with a generous off-white head. Head falls very slow revealing a nice clinging lace that coats the whole glass.

First thing I notice in the aroma is the hops, odd for a pilsner but the again this is DFH and this is an imperial. Sweet malt is in the nose as well.

Bold flavor. Sweet malt body followed immediately if not at the same time with nice herbal hops. Bit if warming booze in the finish even at 7.5%.

Medium bodied in the mouth, coating in an oily way but quite biting.

Good stuff. Love an imperial pilsner and this one is interesting.

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured a straw golden color with a finger and a half of hand, with good retention. Lacing present.

S: Lacking on smell for me. The hops very present in the taste are no where near as present in the nose. A minor hint of malts. Lemon and maybe some honey here as well.

T: Unavoidably hoppy, to the point where I can't even detect the malts here. I consider a pretty big fan of Czech pils, but I'm not feeling the same here when I drink the beer. I'm by no means an expert on hops, nor can I tell them apart when I drink the beers...I dunno call it lack of experience maybe. Like another reviewer said this hopping tastes distinctly IPA to me. I can't even taste the yeastiness of a lager here. Hey...not saying they're lying just can't detect it. Almost to the point where I'm about to say I don't like this style, but I know that's not true. Well whatever.

M: Mouthfeel however...I know they say you should review by the style, But I'm not quite sure how these styles are 'supposed' to feel, so I'm going on my own. As a lover of IPA, this is very smooth, probably the one lager aspect of I can detect.

D: Probably because of my like of IPAs I could drink this all day. The highish ABV is hidden well also. Would be cool to find this on tap somewhere. I would certainly drink it. Just don't see as a Imperial Pilsner that I've had. Could have had bad examples?

4.03/5  rDev +1%

My Antonia, poured into a pilsner glass, is a slightly hazy straw yellow color with a thick meringue head on top. The foam dissolves slowly leaving behind thick clumps of lace on the sides of the glass. Steady streams of bubbles rise from the bottom.

The aroma is light with grainy pale malt notes and light lemon essence.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is very smooth, sticky, with mild carbonation. The flavor is sweet with well balanced citrus notes. Light fruity notes of lemon zest with hints of peppery spice are balanced with sweet pale malt. It finishes mildy bitter with hints of grass. Once gone the grassy bitterness and sweet malt lingers on the palate.

This is an easy drinking well balanced beer. Seems a bit sweet for the style. I'd like to see it somewhat drier and more bitter. Overall though this beer would go great with dinner or as something to drink while watching sports.

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a slightly hazy golden-orange color with a small white head that recedes quickly leaving average lacing.

Aroma is clean with mild grain and aromatic and fruity hops.

Taste starts with sweet grainy malts, then fruity, spicy and aromatic hops. Ends with a mild bitter note.

Mouthfeel is very whole and tasty, with a medium body and high carbornation.

Overall a very nice and easy to drink imperial pilsener. Highly sessionable despite the abv.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

700ml brown bottle with a parchment colored label hand scripted font. Bottled in 2010. Pours a perfect golden yellow with a slight haze. Beautiful dense foamy head, leaves some great lacing along the glass. Hops dominate the aroma, noble, spicy, earthy, some pungent blue cheesiness. Some German malts back there, bready with a drop of honey. Medium to full bodied with a fluffy texture. Some malt sweetness up front just before a spicy hop kick in the teeth. Spicy, peppery, earthy hop flavors and finishes pretty much the same. Kind of a palate shredder. Some more sweetness and fruit flavors emerge as the beer warms up. Really fun beer, tasty and super hoppy, I love it!

Cheers!

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into NB globe from 750ml bottle.

A: Slightly hazy with a little head. Bold straw color. A finger and a half of head.

S: Citrus, orange.

T: Citrus flavors again, clean.

M: Medium body.

D: Very drinkable; not as complex as I though it would be but still pretty good.

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a golden straw body with a thick creamy head that sticks around, and loads of visible carbonation. Great lacing.

S: A sweet, yet dry aroma of lemon citrus hops, light pilsner malts, crackers, spices, & a bit of honey like sweetness.

T: Upfront lemon hoppy bitterness balanced with some sweet pilsner malts. Spices, honey, and biscuit malts all play out nicely together.

M: A very light, crisp, and refreshing mouthfeel with loads of carbonation.

D: I'm not usually a pilsner drinker, but this is really nice. Great mix of flavors and very well balanced. Very easy to drink.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Bottle. Pours hazy-golden with a short lived white head and lovely carbonation. Aroma is musty and hoppy. Full, crisp body. Biscuit malt is balanced on the palate by herbal hops with hints of orange fruit. Pleasant, long, hoppy finish. Nice, delicious brew.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

I had high hopes for this beer, but was a little let down. Stylistically a muddle and not impressive in either direction. Still quite tasty and enjoyable but I had to let go of the idea of it being a pils - imperial or otherwise.

A - pours a hazy straw-yellow/gold with a dense and pillowy two fingers of head; good retention; significant lacing

S - lightly spicy hops with a preponderance of generically west coast pine/citrus/floral hops all around; hint of toasted malt; sweet malt and a honey note as well; I suppose the malt is detectably pils, but...

T - plenty of lightly spicy pine/citrus/floral hops start to finish - well-integrated into the body; more of the honey-inflected malt with toasty notes; good length and nice floral/malty finish; tastes like an IPA with a slightly Germanic influence

M - dense and creamy; rich almost syrupy texture; CO2 is right on - not very high, but keeps things alive; the mouthfeel is the best part of this beer

D - really quite drinkable, but I don't think I'll go back to it