My Antonia - Dogfish Head Brewery

My AntoniaMy Antonia

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.50% ABV

My Antonia (named after the Willa Cather read), is a continually-hopped imperial pilsner. This lager for ale lovers is citrusy, sweet and refined.

My Antonia started out as a collaboration beer when Sam brewed it at Birra del Borgo (hope you can read Italian) outside Rome, Italy, with owner/brewer Leonardo DiVencenzo in October 2008. In 2010, we began brewing My Antonia here in Delaware for U.S. distribution.

(Beer added by: dasenebler on 07-15-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of My Antonia Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

750 ml bottle, bottled in 2010 2B.

Pours typical pilsner color being golden straw with a nice 1.5 finger bone white head that laces better than any pilsner ive ever poured.

Beautiful floral aromas for a pilsner, hops are dominant with citric and floral quality's. Pilsner malt is present but plays a backbone role and doesn't overkill.

Taste is very unique, almost like a hybrid of an IPA and pilsner. Hops are very present more so than any pilsner Ive ever encountered. Lemongrass with some pine clippings balanced oh so well by a pilsner malt crispness.

Medium mouthfeel with an amazing crispness, great full active carbonation makes this one a crisp refreshing pils.

Great drinkability and very flavorful for a style that doesn't usually get this hopped up.

3.03/5  rDev -24.1%

Sticky lacing, decent head, typical pilsner color.

Smells like a pilsner too. Grassy hops in there as well.

Nothing really subdued or interesting. Tastes how you'd expect a hoppy, high abv pilsner to taste.

Very well carbonated, dry clean finish.

Good for a pilsner I suppose, but the taste isn't too refined or memorable. Not too drinkable either.

4.72/5  rDev +18.3%

I've seen some reviews claiming this beer, "doesn't taste like lager/pilsner." All I can say in response is, Duh!

I'm not usually a lager guy, but as soon as I saw the pour on this beer I was interested. The head was thick and cream-colored, balanced on top of a beautifully honey-colored brew.

The aroma was impressive. Honey, flowers, amazing hop depth.

Then I tasted it...

The mouth feel is smooth and close to perfect. And, as expected, the hops jump right into your head. Slightly sweet up front with a bite of hop bitterness at the tail end.

This is easily the best pilsner I've ever tasted. From the sight, smell, feel and flavor it ranks very high in my all-time favorite beers. Definitely worth taking time to enjoy.

By the way... I drank this beer alongside a freshly made bowl of smoked tomato soup with bacon and a provolone & gouda grilled cheese.

Executive Summary:
too sweet
over-hopped
doesn't taste like a pilsner - more like a pale ale

Simply adding "Imperial" or "Double" to the name of your style doesn't make up for defects.

This beer is neither clean nor crisp like a lager should be, and the drinker is presented with a sickening fruity sweetness.

It is not light in body or flavor, and the sledgehammer hops make this beer an overall unpleasant experience.

The flavors do not blend, and the heat of the alcohol sticks out like a sore thumb.

Dogfish makes wonderful ales of all sorts, but their first lager offering leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, literally and figuratively. Why not try something a little simpler, and work your way up to the "extreme" pilsner when you get that mastered?

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

purchased at joe canals in Egg harobr township NJ
bottle 750ml
drank on 2/22/11

My Antonia pours with a cloudy amber color with a creamy, frothy head. You can smell the hops right off the top of the pour as it went into the glass. It was a clean, smooth drink with the nice bite of hops but not too much where your taste buds are hurting. It is a smooth drink from first sip to bottom of the glass. The extra kick is the higher ABV, which is needed here, I think if it was lower the beer would suffer.

This is the best Pilsner I've ever had. It pours out a real nice hazy thick golden yellow letting you know that they put some quality hops in this. You take a smell and yup they sure do. You get that grapefruit. herbal, tea and some pine hops with the grainy sweetness from the malts. The taste is exactly like this with the flavor rolling across your tongue just like any quality IPA with that herbal piney grapefruit taste with some tea like tasting hops coming from the Noble hops they use. It leaves you with that sweet German pilsner malt that you'd find in quality German beers and then ends with the herbal, tea, grapefruit and piney hop bitterness that almost reminds me of a bit toned down version of a West Coast IPA mixed with Noble hops.

The smell and taste of this beer is so amazing for a Pilsner that they should literally send this to any of the big 3 breweries just to let them know what a real one can taste like... do they even know? I can't see how they don't. This beer reminds me of the Prima Pils by the Victory brewing company very much actually. I like this better though because its a bit more complex and has a thicker and creamier mouthfeel.

Dogfish can really brew their ales but this proves they know how to really brew a lager just as well. Amazing mouthfeel doesn't feel light at all and the 7.5 alcohol is covered up as much as possible for a lighter pale beer. It's covered up so well and you don't that typical beery alcohol yeasty taste you'd get from most lower quality pilsners. This is like a German IPA and I really wish they could brew more of this one year round! With that being said this beer deserves way more notice than it gets.

3.83/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a wine goblet.
Cloudy gold in color, with a big billowing head of bright white foam.
Aroma-Faint, perfumy hop notes
Taste-Sweet, mildly toasted malt, leading to a bit of a hoppy bite in the finish. Seems like a pale ale/pilsner hybrid. A bit more on the subtle side as I was expecting a big dose of Saaz hops and more fuller flavor.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a cloudy copper color with a generous off-white head. Head falls very slow revealing a nice clinging lace that coats the whole glass.

First thing I notice in the aroma is the hops, odd for a pilsner but the again this is DFH and this is an imperial. Sweet malt is in the nose as well.

Bold flavor. Sweet malt body followed immediately if not at the same time with nice herbal hops. Bit if warming booze in the finish even at 7.5%.

Medium bodied in the mouth, coating in an oily way but quite biting.

Good stuff. Love an imperial pilsner and this one is interesting.

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured a straw golden color with a finger and a half of hand, with good retention. Lacing present.

S: Lacking on smell for me. The hops very present in the taste are no where near as present in the nose. A minor hint of malts. Lemon and maybe some honey here as well.

T: Unavoidably hoppy, to the point where I can't even detect the malts here. I consider a pretty big fan of Czech pils, but I'm not feeling the same here when I drink the beer. I'm by no means an expert on hops, nor can I tell them apart when I drink the beers...I dunno call it lack of experience maybe. Like another reviewer said this hopping tastes distinctly IPA to me. I can't even taste the yeastiness of a lager here. Hey...not saying they're lying just can't detect it. Almost to the point where I'm about to say I don't like this style, but I know that's not true. Well whatever.

M: Mouthfeel however...I know they say you should review by the style, But I'm not quite sure how these styles are 'supposed' to feel, so I'm going on my own. As a lover of IPA, this is very smooth, probably the one lager aspect of I can detect.

D: Probably because of my like of IPAs I could drink this all day. The highish ABV is hidden well also. Would be cool to find this on tap somewhere. I would certainly drink it. Just don't see as a Imperial Pilsner that I've had. Could have had bad examples?

4.03/5  rDev +1%

My Antonia, poured into a pilsner glass, is a slightly hazy straw yellow color with a thick meringue head on top. The foam dissolves slowly leaving behind thick clumps of lace on the sides of the glass. Steady streams of bubbles rise from the bottom.

The aroma is light with grainy pale malt notes and light lemon essence.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is very smooth, sticky, with mild carbonation. The flavor is sweet with well balanced citrus notes. Light fruity notes of lemon zest with hints of peppery spice are balanced with sweet pale malt. It finishes mildy bitter with hints of grass. Once gone the grassy bitterness and sweet malt lingers on the palate.

This is an easy drinking well balanced beer. Seems a bit sweet for the style. I'd like to see it somewhat drier and more bitter. Overall though this beer would go great with dinner or as something to drink while watching sports.

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a slightly hazy golden-orange color with a small white head that recedes quickly leaving average lacing.

Aroma is clean with mild grain and aromatic and fruity hops.

Taste starts with sweet grainy malts, then fruity, spicy and aromatic hops. Ends with a mild bitter note.

Mouthfeel is very whole and tasty, with a medium body and high carbornation.

Overall a very nice and easy to drink imperial pilsener. Highly sessionable despite the abv.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

700ml brown bottle with a parchment colored label hand scripted font. Bottled in 2010. Pours a perfect golden yellow with a slight haze. Beautiful dense foamy head, leaves some great lacing along the glass. Hops dominate the aroma, noble, spicy, earthy, some pungent blue cheesiness. Some German malts back there, bready with a drop of honey. Medium to full bodied with a fluffy texture. Some malt sweetness up front just before a spicy hop kick in the teeth. Spicy, peppery, earthy hop flavors and finishes pretty much the same. Kind of a palate shredder. Some more sweetness and fruit flavors emerge as the beer warms up. Really fun beer, tasty and super hoppy, I love it!

Cheers!

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into NB globe from 750ml bottle.

A: Slightly hazy with a little head. Bold straw color. A finger and a half of head.

S: Citrus, orange.

T: Citrus flavors again, clean.

M: Medium body.

D: Very drinkable; not as complex as I though it would be but still pretty good.

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a golden straw body with a thick creamy head that sticks around, and loads of visible carbonation. Great lacing.

S: A sweet, yet dry aroma of lemon citrus hops, light pilsner malts, crackers, spices, & a bit of honey like sweetness.

T: Upfront lemon hoppy bitterness balanced with some sweet pilsner malts. Spices, honey, and biscuit malts all play out nicely together.

M: A very light, crisp, and refreshing mouthfeel with loads of carbonation.

D: I'm not usually a pilsner drinker, but this is really nice. Great mix of flavors and very well balanced. Very easy to drink.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Bottle. Pours hazy-golden with a short lived white head and lovely carbonation. Aroma is musty and hoppy. Full, crisp body. Biscuit malt is balanced on the palate by herbal hops with hints of orange fruit. Pleasant, long, hoppy finish. Nice, delicious brew.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

I had high hopes for this beer, but was a little let down. Stylistically a muddle and not impressive in either direction. Still quite tasty and enjoyable but I had to let go of the idea of it being a pils - imperial or otherwise.

A - pours a hazy straw-yellow/gold with a dense and pillowy two fingers of head; good retention; significant lacing

S - lightly spicy hops with a preponderance of generically west coast pine/citrus/floral hops all around; hint of toasted malt; sweet malt and a honey note as well; I suppose the malt is detectably pils, but...

T - plenty of lightly spicy pine/citrus/floral hops start to finish - well-integrated into the body; more of the honey-inflected malt with toasty notes; good length and nice floral/malty finish; tastes like an IPA with a slightly Germanic influence

M - dense and creamy; rich almost syrupy texture; CO2 is right on - not very high, but keeps things alive; the mouthfeel is the best part of this beer

D - really quite drinkable, but I don't think I'll go back to it

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

pours a burnished golden-yellow with a touch of haze to it; two finger creamy off-white head shows good retention and great lacing. overall a very nice presentation.

nose is citric hop-forward with background notes of malt, honey, and maybe a hint of pepper.

crisp, hoppy flavor is reminiscent of an IPA, and while there is some style overlap, the pilsner malts remind you what it is. well perceived sweet, honey-like presence. 7.5% ABV is well hidden. reasonably complex and balanced. not the biggest fan of the style but this is tasty.

smooth, medium-bodied mouthfeel with prickly carbonation. decent drinkability.

3.13/5  rDev -21.6%

A- Pale golden body with an eggshell foamy one inch head.

S- Light floral hop notes typical of a pilsner, sharp spiciness, I can detect the malts backing this all up.

T- Boozy syrupy spicy hops, I'm surprised by the amount of booze detected here being that its only 7.5. This boozy character keeps getting in the way of the enjoyment of this brew, besides that factor the hops taste delicious.

M- Not as light and crisp as the typical Lager but it is an Imperial so its appropriate for the style.

D- The booze was just too distracting for me to really enjoy this bottle.

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

Served in my new Troegs sunshine pilsner glass. Amazing clear golden in color with a soapy white cap. Left tremendous lacing all throughout.

Smell is heavy with German hops as soon as the cork was popped. Earthy and medicinal notes and just flat out green grass. Spicey hops all in the background the entire whaft.

Taste was a bit of a let down to me.I thought it had a tremendous German and American hop billing but I found this entirely too sweet. Mostly what I am getting is a helluva alot of carapils,and sweet sugary sugars.

Mouth is full bodied for a pilsner and kind of thick for my liking. There is a nice bitterness left from citrus and green hopping but still too sweet on the palate.

This was my first offering of a Double Pils. Maybe I am just not used to the style but to me this was too sweet and not very good in the drinkability department.

4.72/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden straw color with a tall off white head.

Scents of sweet grass, alfalfa honey, biscuit malts, lemon.

This is really impressive. DFH has really pulled of what I would consider the benchmark of what I would expect for this style. It has nice lightly sweet honey-biscuit malt flavor up front then it moves in a floral/ grassy note and a touch of lemon peel. The finish is sweet and has a tropical/ candied lemon flavor.

Great medium carbonation with a nice soft feel. The viscosity is a touch higher than for regular pilsner but spot on for an Imperial.

I'm really impressed by this beer. It's big on flavor and very unique. Plus although it's an Imperial it's still refreshing. A very nice break from the giant hop bombs and huge roasted imperial stouts.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

A-Pours a very effervescent and golden color with two fingers of thick, white head.

S-Smells of piny, orange, and herbal hop notes with some light, grainy, malt.

T-It kind of reminds of Squall in that it has a lot of hop flavor but hardly any bitterness. I get orange and pine with big herbal hops and a light husky malt on the finish.

M-Very lightly carbonated with a light and slightly sticky mouthfeel.

D-Really easy drinking, I was expecting quite a bit more bitterness from the other examples I've had of this style. It's a very interesting and complex beer that I'm glad I got to try, but not sure I would purchase again.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

750mL bottle poured a tulip. Thanks to cjacobsen for sharing!

(A)- Clear golden yellow color with a decent white head.

(S)- A dry piney citrus kick in front of some mellow/subtle honey sweetness.

(T)- Same as the smell. A good dryness and piney citrus kick.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Lightly hoppy and sweet. Minimal bitterness.

(D)- A good imperial pilsner. Smooth and crisp with an ample hop addition. Pretty good

My Antonia pours a gold color. It's nice and clear. Looks bright gold with perhaps an orange tint when held to light. The head is white and stands about a finger and a half tall. It's relatively quick to recede, leaving a moderate amount of sticky lace in its wake.

The first whiff reveals a very healthy dose of Pilsner malt. If you're wondering if this might be mistaken for an IPA, the answer should be a resounding 'no.' It's a little sweet smelling but not overly so. Hops are a little strong in the mix. They smell mostly grassy and herbal. Noble hops? I believe so. There's a bit of pepper, but that's about it in terms of spices. Alcohol is masked well. Not bad. Not bad at all.

The flavor is good. I still think there's little questioning its Pilsner status. The Pilsner malt base is slightly sweet and sturdy. The hops are definitely noble - grassy and herbal. They add a little bitterness, and dry it out quite a bit. Spicy pepper and a spicy yeast flavor add nice depth. Yeast is more notable than you'd think, and has a positive overall effect on the flavor. Alcohol is masked very well. It's not much of a factor. Finishes spicy, grassy, and a little dry. Good stuff.

My Antonia has a medium body that's nice and smooth. Carbonation is relatively light and lends to its smooth feel. Drinkability is good. For a lager style beer, this is tasty and quite impressive. I like it. It goes down relatively smooth and easy.

My Antonia is an impressive Imperial Pilsner. It's not my favorite, and doesn't come quite close to displacing Sam Adams Hallertau Pilsner. Nonetheless, it's an impressive beer for the style. In terms of critiquing it, I don't have much to offer. Maybe add some sort of citric hop? I don't know. Nonetheless, it really is good as it is. Definitely worth checking out.

3.63/5  rDev -9%

Dogfish Head My Antonia is a very sparkling, slightly hazy golden lager with a huge, pillowy white head that has outstanding retention and lacing. It has a doughy aroma with a little grass and spice. It's pretty full bodied; lively, but smooth with a really clean, dry finish. It has a simple, well hopped taste. There's a leafy bitterness. It's a little sweet and a little boozy. It goes down real nice.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into two pint glasses.

A - Pours a hazy golden straw color with some light orange hues. Looks nice and refreshing and pours quite thick and syrupy. I'm intrigued. A nice three finger white head develops and has great retention leaving a nice amount of stringy lacing on the glass.

S - Smell is of sweet notes and grapefruit hops. Smells pretty hop forward with alot more hops than I was expecting for a Imperial Pils.

T - Taste is of pineapple and grapefruit hops. Some sweet toffee notes follow and then the ending taste is very clean. No left over mouthfeel, not even bitter hop taste.

M - Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Great carbonation to back up the hop flavor.

D - A easy drinker that is quite nice and refreshing.

S -