My Antonia - Dogfish Head Brewery

rAvg: 4
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.50% ABV

My Antonia (named after the Willa Cather read), is a continually-hopped imperial pilsner. This lager for ale lovers is citrusy, sweet and refined.

My Antonia started out as a collaboration beer when Sam brewed it at Birra del Borgo (hope you can read Italian) outside Rome, Italy, with owner/brewer Leonardo DiVencenzo in October 2008. In 2010, we began brewing My Antonia here in Delaware for U.S. distribution.

(Beer added by: dasenebler on 07-15-2010)
ferrari29

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from bottle into stemmed Tulip glass

A - Beer pours with a yellow/gold body; slightly cloudy for a pilsner; there is a lot of lacing & plenty of sticking; two finger white head formed and dissipated pretty quickly; poured with a confident amount of white head

S - Deep airy lager/pilsner smell; some malt tones come up light in potency but aroma is buried deep; you really have to dig to get some scents out of this one; definitely not to rough, but just the right amount

T - Smooth, clear taste; malt notes come up at the middle of the tongue; dry and very unique for a pilsner brew; still has that traditional bitter-tart pilsner feel but very smooth and not as bitter as one would expect

M - Creamy and light; solid blend of carbonation and consistency; remains creamy and carbonated from start to finish

D - I like this drink, its another great brew from the folks at Dogfish; the flavors are complete from start to finish and its not really missing much

12-25-2010 20:42:22 | More by ferrari29
dogfishandi

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

750ml bottle at fridge temp poured into a bulb style glass. "bottled in 2010 2b" stamped on the neck.

pours out a really nice looking deep gold/ orange color with a huge fluffy, billowy pure white soapy head. sticky lace all over the glass, great retention.

noble hops are most noticable, grassy, lemon citrus, raw herbal hops, a bit of a mineral like lager aroma, and a touch of grains.

wow tasty, very true to style. lots of lemon citrus, grassy, raw herbal pellet hop, grains and lots of mineral like lager funk. lots of sharp aggresive DIPA like bitterness.

very clean mouthfeel, feels like just what it is, an imerial pilsner. lots of lingering hop bitterness.

im very glad i tried this beer. aggressive american like hop bitterness in the lager style is definatly something we need to see more of. IMHO, recommended.

12-25-2010 06:23:49 | More by dogfishandi
Gmann

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a slightly hazy honey color with a huge dense pure white head that left some rocky lacing on the glass.

The aroma is of a fairly dry cracker malt, honey, and some juicy hops. Definitely some american hops in this one. Very light grapefruit, lemon, and some grassy yet buddy hops. A bit sweet for a pils.

The taste is of an extraordinarily smooth malt, not very sweet, not very dry. Kind of has a bright sweetish flavor but it avoids having any distinct flavors whatsoever. There seems to be a slight honey & berry sweetness but it is quite subtle. The hops are not assertive in the flavor, they add a slight bitterness in the end but that is it. The beer doesn't taste much like a pils but it is still tastey and smooth.

The feel is moderate with active carbonation; quite balanced on the palate; perhaps finishes slightly bitter.

This is a tough beer to rate. As a pilsner, imperial or not, it misses the flavor and feel mark. The malt might not be too off since it is an "imperial version" of the style but the hops are way off. I don't pick up much in the flavor profile and the flavor lacks an edge. That being said this beer is damn smooth and very tastey, its just a loose interpretation of the style. IMHO an imperial pils is not a style that needs to be made but it had no effect on my rating.

12-24-2010 05:50:10 | More by Gmann
WesWes

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

The beer pours a beautiful gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a clean, pilsner malt scent along with a moderate hop aroma. It's incredibly balanced. The taste is great! It has a smooth pilsner malt flavor, dry and clean; no graininess. The hop character is outstanding. It's aggressively bitter up front with a nice mix of both noble and west coast hops. There is a mild citrus edge along with solid floral character. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good drinking beer. This is an interesting take on the pilsner style; traditional with a nice modern twist.

12-23-2010 02:08:36 | More by WesWes
vtfan77

3.88/5  rDev -3%

A- Light gold with a huge, billowing head that takes its time going down and leaves tons of lacing along the sides of the glass as it does so.

S- Big time leafy hop aroma with a bright citrus character as well, like fresh-cut lemons. Not much in the way of malt, but that's not a big deal given the style.

T- Rather sweet upfront, with a shortbread cookie-like malt that is quickly joined by grassy hops. Bitterness hits mid-palate and builds to a strong finish, where it is joined by a hint of alcohol. Finishes clean and dry with a strong herbal bitterness.

M- Medium-bodied and a little syrupy; the carbonation seems a bit low.

D- You can certainly feel the alcohol in this one even though it isn't extremely high. It's got nice flavor, but it seems a bit heavy at times. I'll certainly be able to finish the bottle, but I won't want more.

A nice amped-up pilsner from DFH here. I haven't had lots of imperial pilsners, but this one seems pretty good for the style. It retains alot of its pilsner character while still cranking up the flavor. It's quite enjoyable overall. I'd get it again if I were in the mood. Recommended.

12-22-2010 20:51:54 | More by vtfan77
PicoPapa

Connecticut

3.68/5  rDev -8%

750mL bottle with Bottled In 2010 2B. Pours a cloudy golden color with a medium head. Lots of lacing. Aromas of citrus, namely lemon, and a bit of a skunky smell along with cut grass. Tastes like a hopped up pilsner. Lemon peel aftertaste. Mouthfeel is kind of creamy. Overall this is like someone took Miller High Life and added some more hops, flavor and alcohol and put it in a 750mL bottle. A bit pricey for what it is. Decent but I wish I had drank this one in the summer.

12-22-2010 05:00:38 | More by PicoPapa
number1bum

3.4/5  rDev -15%

Pours a slightly hazed but mostly clear, ever so slightly orange-tinted, rich golden color. Generates a solid 3 inches of bone white head, which keeps exceptionally well. It's thick and rich, leaving a beautiful web of lace on the sides. Quite nice.

Smell is very hoppy, although it's very American as well. When I think pilsener, double or not, the first thing I think of are those wonderfully grassy, spicy, lemony noble hop aromas. This is more citrusy and passion fruity, orange instead of lemon and without any grass or spice. That's ok I guess, although I'm needing to re-calibrate my expectations here. Has a pale malt sweetness to it with some bready notes as well. It is a nice nose, although I do very much wish they had used German hops.

Taste is also very Americanized, with lots of citrus and fruity hop flavor and also a substantial hop bitterness. There is some bready and grainy malt notes but they are overwhelmed by the hop bitterness in particular. Hops are also somewhat earthy and resiny. Lots of flavor, but not the flavors I am looking for. Still, I can't knock this too badly because it is quite flavorful, but I'm still quite disappointed in the lack of any noble hop characteristics.

Mouthfeel is on the plus side of a medium body and feels too heavy. It's crisply carbonated and that helps, but it's also very bitter and not super clean in the finish.

I wanted to like this so much more, and it's really not a bad beer by any means, but I do think that DFH missed the mark here. A pilsener with American hops isn't really a pilsener at all. The pilsener malt base is shattered by the amped up bitterness, and at the end of the day I'd feel a lot more comfortable calling this some flavor of IPA. I haven't rated it lower for that reason. Maybe it's a double pils for hopheads who don't love pilseners. I do love pilseners, and hops as well, but I don't think this particular marriage quite works. Not for me, at least.

12-22-2010 03:01:45 | More by number1bum
birderbeerer

3.78/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Golden yellow, creamy head, sticky lace. Mostly translucent--a good pour shows the carbonation clouding below the head and rising to support it. As the head settles, the beer takes on a more hazy appearance.

S: Hops. Light but distinctly piney hops.

T: A hoppy pilsner. Interesting. A smooth and creamy pilsner but hop forward. Tangy. I like this. The hops give bite to an otherwise light lager.

M: Pretty sharply carbonated and the hops leave a slight sticky film.

This is well done. A hoppy and sweet pilsner.

12-22-2010 02:11:40 | More by birderbeerer
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a semi clouded golden haziness, full on creamy textured off white head. Lacing forms fine and speckled down the sides of my chalice. Aromatics first address my nares with grapefruit/citric rinds, herbal/grassy qualities and a touch of booze reaching my senses. Overall an intense hoppiness is brewing even before I taste it. Flavor is abrasively bitter initially as it warms up and the malts open up a bit the pilsner malt adds enough sweetness to dance around a bit with the malts. True perfect balance between malts and hops never occurs this is a hop odyssey, continuously hopped imperial pils. Grapefruit/bitter rinds, herbal grassiness big booze and sugary malts hit altogether on the palate with no real direction. A lot of big hitters show up with no clear leader to choreograph what happens on the palate. Overall mouthfeel is big a bit heavy, carbonation is kicking. Super bitterness with a wave of booze and malt bringing the finish amongs the big hop bomb of a beer this is. Is it the West Coast hop additions that make this beer pretty hard to handle, I like west coast hops but I'm not sure about them in a pilsner malt profile. Drinkability takes some getting used to, it grew on me as I sipped and temperature change had a big effect on my overall opinion of this offering. Under attenuated the yeast didn't fully perform here, a pils that finishes this sweet didn't ferment out all the way, I'm glad they didn't dump this one. Experimental style I've been drinking their different versions of this from Prescription Pils, to Golden Shower, to Golden Era, back around to the collaboration with the Italian brewer that brings us this bottled release My Antonia is better than earlier attempts at an Impy Pils, but keep striving for perfection because we're not there yet, at least in this newly bottled big bottle release.

12-21-2010 06:56:28 | More by WVbeergeek
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Saw it. Bought it, no hesitations. Although I didn't drink it out of a Styrofoam cup, I at least shared it with family.

Appearance:
A clean straw-colored yellow that gives off an essence that is distinctly pilsner. A foamy white head forms and laces down the sides of a thin glass with ease. The beer has small bubbled, light carbonation throughout the duration of the drink, but loses its head after a few minutes.

Smell:
This beer is quite hoppy and is accompanied but a sweet yeast undertone. I am not getting a lot of the golden malt from this beer, but it is "continually hopped," so what did I expect coming from a brewery like DFH? There are also subtle notes of a lemony sweet/sour and faint ethanol.

Taste:
A distracting bitter upfront with a subtle sweetness in the aftertaste. There is still a lingering bitterness in the aftertaste as well. I am reminded of a typical DFH IPA, but there is a light, refreshing crispness that follows the beer down. I am surprised that this beer is as strong as it is, thoughtfully masked by the beer's bitter tartness. I prefer this beer at room temperature because otherwise the malt has no chance against the hops. However, I liked it cold because it offers a refreshingly gulpable beverage.

Mouthfeel:
Bitter initially, but the residual sweetness builds towards the end of the glass. I was uncertain as to whether this beer would suffer for its intense hoppiness up against such a light beer style, but it's a new adaptation on a classic recipe. I am torn between warmer or colder temperatures, I would say pour it cold and let it warm over time (it's a big enough bottle to do so).

Drinkability:
A great accompaniment to a relaxing evening surrounded by other beer appreciators. I would prefer this beer as a summer release, but will still crack like a whip released in the winter months. I have never had a pilsner to match this beer's bitterness or strength, it almost in a class of it's own. In having brewed a strong pilsner myself, I can testify that it packs the punch of a homebrew. It also won't punch a hole in your wallet like some other other DFH craft brews, for which I am greatly thankful.

Cheers.

12-21-2010 02:58:47 | More by ThePorterSorter
Zodijackyl

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours cloudy gold with a substantial frothy white head that leaves plenty of lacing and sticks all the way down the glass. Aroma starts with crisp hops (cascade?) which give way to mild grains and some fruit aromas - yeasty nutty banana and some citrus.

Taste has a very pronounced yeasty banana taste. There is a very crisp mix of hops over clean grains - the taste is a bit stronger than a classic pilsner, but the pronouncements of flavor are the yeast and hops much more than the malt. Mouthfeel is very crisp and smooth with some thickness from the yeast and bite from the hops. Very drinkable for a beer of its strength and style.

12-21-2010 02:22:51 | More by Zodijackyl
JamnesCameron

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a New Holland High Gravity Series tulip.

Pours a clear golden hue with a huge, rocky, stark white marshmallow cream head that has staying power. Thick lacing down the glass.

Aroma of citrus and earthy hops. Malty backbone. Lemons.

First sip is of a firm bitterness, with a sweet malt backing. Lots of citrusy hops, mostly lemony. Short finish of lemons and bitterness that fades away. Very refreshing for a bigger beer.

Mouthfeel is light, not watery, with a slick, almost salty feel.

Very drinkable. Very good beer, but nothing really memorable about it.

12-21-2010 00:56:05 | More by JamnesCameron
avalon07

South Carolina

3.8/5  rDev -5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pilsner glass. Had a golden yellow color and a cloudy consistency. There was a big, bright white, creamy head. Excellent lacing.

S: A nice malty, slightly hoppy smell, with traces of citrus.

T: Tasted of grainy malt, some hops, and a touch of lemon. Not as dynamic or flavorful as other Imperial Pilsners I've tried, but a decent flavor.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a dry finish. Light-bodied.

D: A good, solid, drinkable beer.

12-20-2010 13:11:31 | More by avalon07
obywan59

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

750 ml bottle.

Pours a transparent but just slightly cloudy golden color with a 1 1/2 finger pure white big-bubbled head leaving slight lacing. A few large bubbles of carbonation early. Looks like a more substantial pilsner, which it is. I went for broke on the 2nd pour and poured into the bottom of the glass. The result was a 6 finger head just filling my Schneider Weisse glass (the closet thing I had to a pilsener) pretty cool. Translucent this time with wispy clouds of motionless sediment suspended throughout, and thicker, very sticky lacing. The head becomes pretty chunky as it recedes. I'm knocking the appearance up a bit from my original 4.0.

Has a very refreshing aroma. Grassy, piney hops backed by sweet malt. Like Mosstrooper has stated, it's not a hop-bomb, but it finds a happy medium between, say, a hoppy Stone brew and a regular pilsner.

Sweet malt and spicy hops up front with bitterness coming through in the middle. Sweet and bitter then duke it out to the end.

Borrowing from the previous reviewer, I have to say that the mouthfeel really is buttery. A bit prickly on the first glass and a bit of alcohol burn. More smooth later on.

A good drinker. Pleasant taste and a great aroma. A very happy encounter.

12-19-2010 07:29:38 | More by obywan59
Brad007

Vermont

4.2/5  rDev +5%

Pours a bright yellow/gold color with a thin head into my glass. Very much appropriate for the style.

Lots of grassy hops followed by buttery malt. Much like a standard pilsner ramped up.

Tongue is greeted by grassy hops followed by rich, buttery malt. Mmmm. Slightly crisp as well with some booziness.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering buttery malt/grassy hops that have a great dynamic. Carbonation is a bit high though.

The only gripe is carbonation. Regardless, this is an interesting take on an uniquely Americanized version of the standard pilsner. Worth it if you like SA Imperial Pilsner and others.

12-19-2010 03:55:13 | More by Brad007
Kendo

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Poured from the 750 ml into a pilsner glass, Body is bright, clear golden with a 1+ finger bubbly white head. Good rings of lace.

S: Like a pilsner - floral and grassy hops. Touch of sweetness too.

T: Grainy cereal malt underneath, then finishes with those noble hops - grassy and floral. Sweetness fights the bitterness in the aftertaste. Could use some lemony bitterness - or rather, a bit more (there's some).

M: Slight syrup-like slickness to the feel. About medium in heft. Nice carbonation.

D: Solid. Slickness slows it down a bit.

12-18-2010 22:15:58 | More by Kendo
Naugled

3.73/5  rDev -6.8%

good appearance, deep yellow, carbonation bubbles rising, silky white head.

Smell seems to be a bit off. Some veggy notes.

Flavor is ok, it tastes like a stronger version of a pilsner, I guess like it should. Hops are there, but not up front. Nice gentle hop flavors. Bitterness does linger though.

rich smooth somewhat full body and mouthfeel.

very drinkable

12-18-2010 21:03:55 | More by Naugled
aasher

Indiana

4.2/5  rDev +5%

My 200th review! Big thanks to JHamm for this bottle! I would also like to preface this review by saying that I don't traditionally even like pilsners but I had to try My Antonia, being a big DFH fan, so we'll see how this goes.

And we have a gusher! I was shocked by that. My puppy got to try it and apparently he thought it was pretty good by the looks of the floor. It poured a murky, honey like yellow with a three finger spongy white head. It smells better than I thought it would, being a pilsner. It smells of honey cream and is very light on the hops. The taste too is light and has light honey cream accents to it. I surprisingly like it. It has the typical ultra smooth mouthfeel typical of DFH 750mls and is also pretty crisp as well. It's very drinkable, especially for the style. This is one pilsner I'm a fan of.

12-18-2010 06:23:18 | More by aasher
Mosstrooper

Poured from 25.4oz bottle into 400ml Radeberger Seidel

Appearance: Pours a very bright and slightly hazy yellow-gold color with a large white head that dissipates at an average rate, leaving behind spots of lace. The bright gold is extremely inviting.

Smell: A cross between a pilsner and an IPA- some grainy aromas are evident with some grassy hints. The hops, though, truly shine- herbs, flowers, and a slight earthiness alongside a lot of lemon zest. This does not, though, smell like a hop bomb.

Taste: Begins with some sweet bready grain and citrus, middling out to some herbal and flowery flavors, and finishing with hop flavors reminiscent of (though not quite as powerful as) a West Coast IPA. Lingering hints of both a malty pils and a hoppy IPA are both prevalent at the end, but so well-balanced. If I could give this a seven for flavor, I probably would.

Mouthfeel: Lighter in body with well-rounded carbonation and a refreshingly dry finish. The finish has the assertiveness one would expect from an ale, yet the cleanness one would expect from a pilsner.

Drinkability: This is a wonderful brew. It marries so well wonderful pilsner flavors with the best parts of an IPA. The joy of this, though, is that nothing dominates anything else- it is hoppy, yet very accessible and easy to drink, but still has the noticeable malt profile of a pilsner.

I don't know how Dogfish pulled it off...

12-18-2010 06:04:54 | More by Mosstrooper
baconsausage

Vermont

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%

On tap at three penny taproom!!!! Dogfish extravaganza!!!

A: golden straw color. Little to no head.

S: a little grassy, malty sweetness. A little hop Aroma.

T: malty sweet up front, a loiter bitter in the back. Malt is balanced by what hops there are. Reminicent of other euro pils. A great beer with my taquitos to cut the spice.

M: good, lightly carbonated, alcohol is hidden well. Could drink this all night!

12-16-2010 23:07:14 | More by baconsausage
beersensei305

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Active Review from a bottle picked up yesterday.

Appearance: Hazy straw gold, with nice carbonation. Perfect head... pearl white big and foamy almost like meringue. Great retention and good lacing.

The aroma is not complex but it gives off a big smell for a pilsner. Very hoppy is what you noticed of the first whiff and then you can pick out the sweet malts. It actually reminds me of some Belgium beers I have had in the past.

I was expecting this beer to be sweeter but it is actually quite bitter, yet there is great balance. The beer is malty up front with a great big kick of hops in the back end. I can't pick up any more flavors but there is something to be said for simplicity when it's done well.

Medium bodied a tad dry and bitter. The ABV is hidden well and has great drinkability. I will definitely stop by to pickup more.

12-16-2010 02:01:30 | More by beersensei305
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev +2%

Bottled in 2010. Served in a rectangular pint glass. Bought this at Total Wine in Fort Myers, FL.

A - Pours with copious white foam that settles to a thick persistent cap, leaving behind chunky, splotchy lace. Transparent golden body with lots of tiny bubbles.

S - The hops have faded quite a bit here, but there's still a residual herbal and grassy character. Pilsner malt, with notes of apples, stone fruits, and biscuit.

T - Taste has more hop presence, with leaf and lemon zest peeking out. Pilsner malt, with some buttered biscuit as well. Bitter finish that is quite appropriate for the style. Alcohol is well-hidden too.

M - Smooth texture, medium-low carbonation, medium body, and a hint of alcohol warmth.

D - This is quite good. I'd really love to try this fresh to see how much impact the hop aroma had. But it's an enjoyable, well-crafted pilsner. One of the better Dogfish Head beers for certain.

12-15-2010 20:48:51 | More by MasterSki
Bendurgin

Maine

3.8/5  rDev -5%

Reviewed from some notes I took last night. Poured this into a pint glass. The body is a slightly hazy straw color with a white fluffy head about two fingers large and soapy lace. The smell is very grainy with a slight lemon zest and a slightly bitter hop finish. The pallet follows the nose nicely. Big grains and horsefeedy flavors with a tart twinge and bitter finish. The mouthfeel is kind of buttery with good carbonation and a light body. When it comes to pilsners unless they are terrible they always rank high on drinkability for me. Probably one of my favorite styles to drink.

12-13-2010 20:52:51 | More by Bendurgin
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

GLASS: Pokal
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
BOTTLED IN: 2010
Big thanks to ShadesOfGray for this one!

This one pours a crystal clear liquid that is sunset orange in color. A 3+finger head of off-white colored foam sits on top...all dense and creamy looking. The retention is great and the lacing is plentiful and very sticky.

As is the case with pilsners, in general, there's not a lot going on in the nose. It's quite subtle. There are light hints of hay and grass. Light notes of apples and pears, with perhaps a slight trace of peach. A sweetness that is not unlike belgian candi sugar. Mild touches of biscuit-like yeastiness.

Sweet maltiness comes out first, presumably to lure you in, unawares. A touch of biscuit comes out, then....hops. They come on pretty aggressively, yet not in an extremely bitter fashion. This actually has a decent amount of balance to it, which is nice. There is a good deal of citrus hop presence here, with a trace of pine, lots of earthy/grassiness and a good dose of spiciness. It floats along on top of that candi sugar/malty sweetness, each element not letting the other get out of balance.

Medium-bodied with a high level of carbonation, filled with bubbles of varying size, but it contains a good amount of those little tiny ones, which give it a nice dose of creaminess.

Aside from some warmth, near the bottom of the first glass, the 7.50%abv is nicely hidden with this one. Combine that with the nicely balanced flavor here and you've got a pretty drinkable beer.
So, I don't, personally, want to drink this all of the time, but, as far as pilsners go, I could drink this one. It's not the one to win me over, but it will get me to come visit from time-to-time.

12-09-2010 01:57:41 | More by coldmeat23
drpimento

Wisconsin

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Guess I have to say that this is a quintessential Imperial Pils. Not perfectly pleased with it, but that's splitting hairs a bit. Anyway: Poured a large, foamy, frothy, off white head that doesn't give up and lots of lace. Color is hazy dirty amber. Aroma is floral, malt, perfume, spice, caramel. Body is ok and so is carbonation. Finish is like flavor and a bit boozy. If this beer didn't try so hard, it might be a lot better. Still damn good.

12-06-2010 07:03:39 | More by drpimento