My Antonia - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: dasenebler on 07-15-2010

My Antonia (named after the Willa Cather read), is a continually-hopped imperial pilsner. This lager for ale lovers is citrusy, sweet and refined.

My Antonia started out as a collaboration beer when Sam brewed it at Birra del Borgo (hope you can read Italian) outside Rome, Italy, with owner/brewer Leonardo DiVencenzo in October 2008. In 2010, we began brewing My Antonia here in Delaware for U.S. distribution.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of My Antonia Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

3.96/5  rDev -0.8%

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Dogfish Head - My Antonia [A continually hopped imperial pilsner] (750ml ---> Dogfish Head Curved Pint Glass : 7.5% ABV)

Every other beer I've reviewed so far having been an ale, I felt it fitting when I finally got around to a Dogfish beer, that I'd choose their "lagerific" brew - as they put it... Pouring a orangeish/gold color, it quickly formed a 2.5 inch head made entirely of large bubbles that dissipated moderately quickly... It left behind a decent amount of lacing as the aroma of earthy/spicy hops rose from the hazy brew... On the nose is the drier malts integrated with the earthy hops, as well as a fair amount of green apple and traces of citrus hidden in there also... Upon tasting it, a spicy, yet still somewhat mellow bitterness hits your tongue, with the pilsner malt coming through on the second "wave..." It finishes strong in it's dry malty flavor, but the apples make a small cameo, popping up in the background from time to time as the beer makes a curtain call... The mouthfeel is actually fantastic, as it serves as a good balance to the style and serves as a good platform to host the flavors!! Overall I'm pleased to have indulged in trying this brew from Dogfish, as it is far from what was expected... I'm not the biggest fan of lagers, so this was slightly out of my comfort zone when I decided to try this beer, but I'm glad I proceeded with the gameplan as it worked out swimmingly... This brew was composed of enough "old-school" back bone to be able to host and compliment the "new-school" funk Dogfish head loves to apply to their concoctions!! Another good brew - Cheers!!

2.6/5  rDev -34.8%

3.16/5  rDev -20.8%

3.96/5  rDev -0.8%

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

4.8/5  rDev +20.3%

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

3.95/5  rDev -1%

3.78/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from 4/22/13 Poured into a Stella Artois glass.

Pours up a hazy golden color with a white head. The aroma is of honey and fruit with hints of biscuit. The flavor falls a bit short, probably a result of being rather old. There is a subtle bitterness which counters the sweet peachy notes. There are other fruity flavors as well like bitter orange and maybe pears as well. The mouthfeel is quite nice. There is a nice light crispness to this beer. Overall, I like this beer. It is crisp and refreshing. I need to try a fresher bottle to compare.

3.52/5  rDev -11.8%