My Antonia - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: dasenebler on 07-15-2010

My Antonia (named after the Willa Cather read), is a continually-hopped imperial pilsner. This lager for ale lovers is citrusy, sweet and refined.

My Antonia started out as a collaboration beer when Sam brewed it at Birra del Borgo (hope you can read Italian) outside Rome, Italy, with owner/brewer Leonardo DiVencenzo in October 2008. In 2010, we began brewing My Antonia here in Delaware for U.S. distribution.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of My Antonia Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

A - Pours golden in color, opaque, bright eggshell head.

S - Malts, hay, grain and honey notes.

T - Light hops with a bit of honey sweetness. Malty, but not overdone, with a hay aspect.

M - Light bodied with medium carbonation. Very crisp and easy drinking.

O - Nothing special but it's a well done pilsner.

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from 750 ml bottle into New Belgium snifter. Bottled in 2012, no idea when. Likely near the end of shelf life.

A- pours a very hazy, cloudy butterscotch color. Mountains of foam settle in unevenly across surface of the brew. Good lacing shows after the original, cream-colored head starts to dissipate.

S- honey. Honey and dry hay. I am an IPA guy, so I don't know if this is right for the style, but I really like the smell.

T- Honey, buttered biscuit and sweet malt. As an IPA drinker, I don't really know what I am looking for, but this is nice with a really strong hoppy bitter finish. After all of that sweet smell and sweet start, the bitter finish is a home run.

M- hits the mouth with hard carbonation, and hits the throat with soft, oily liquid. Nice job from DFH on this one. The burn is quick up front, and non-existent on the swallow.

O- It may be unfair for me to rate a Pils because I only drink IPA these days, but this heavily-hopped offering from DFH is a great transition for me. I had it on tap (cask) a few months ago and I loved it. This bottle reaffirms that love. Good show. Not an IPA, but a great beverage overall.

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

750 poured into a Duvel Tulip (2012 C 18:32)

A: A light orange-ish yellow hue with a thick head that sticks around for a bit. Also, has some decent lacing.

S: It smells very citrusy, but not a typical hops citrus scent. It smells almost like a semi-dry apple cider and has a similar coloring. You do get the yeasty scent from it being a pilsner as well.

T: It has a very light hop profile, with the pilsner yeast coming through. I'm not sure if the hop profile is due to time or is just normal though. It kinda tastes like an old IPA. However, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The pilsner side of it bolsters that flavor and maintains it.

M: It has a very smooth feel with only a slight bit of coarse carbonation. A quite nice mouthfeel.

O: This is my first pilsner and thus my first double pilsner. I had wanted to get a 2013 bottle, but instead I had to settle for a cheap 2012 bottle. I wish they used M/Y dating. Overall thought this is a quite nice beer from DFH. I bet it is much better fresh with more of a hop profile (hopefully), but it holds up over a year. At least here in MD around me this one is hard to find fresh. Also, this is one of the cheaper DFH 750s ($8-12). I don't know but I feel as if this one might benefit from being a core beer.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

4.14/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Despite pilsners typically being my least favorite style of beer, I love Dogfish Head so much i decided to give My Antonia a try. This may have been a good jump into the pilsner game for me as it seems to be a bridge between a true pils and something more intense like an IPA. It pours an interesting cloudy off yellow with a huge fluffy white head that is glued to the side of the glass. Smells of fresh hops, lemon and grapefruit. Hints of yeast and spice. Wonderful aroma. Flavor is not at all what I expected. Hops, pine, lemon, touch of honey and some bread at the end. Flavor is well balanced and not in your face like some imperials can be. Mouthfeel is very light and refreshing. Great summer beer. Overall, I really love this beer, definitely my new favorite pilsner.

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass, light golden straw colored with an insanely huge white head that lingers leaving good lacing, hazy

S: fresh bright malt with a nice loading of citrus hops, grass, grain

T: sweeter up front then fades to a lasting citrus hop bitterness, clean palate

M: lighter and heavily carbonated, alcohol completely hidden, refreshing

O: quite a nice lager