My Antonia - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: dasenebler on 07-15-2010

My Antonia (named after the Willa Cather read), is a continually-hopped imperial pilsner. This lager for ale lovers is citrusy, sweet and refined.

My Antonia started out as a collaboration beer when Sam brewed it at Birra del Borgo (hope you can read Italian) outside Rome, Italy, with owner/brewer Leonardo DiVencenzo in October 2008. In 2010, we began brewing My Antonia here in Delaware for U.S. distribution.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of My Antonia Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

750 poured into a Duvel Tulip (2012 C 18:32)

A: A light orange-ish yellow hue with a thick head that sticks around for a bit. Also, has some decent lacing.

S: It smells very citrusy, but not a typical hops citrus scent. It smells almost like a semi-dry apple cider and has a similar coloring. You do get the yeasty scent from it being a pilsner as well.

T: It has a very light hop profile, with the pilsner yeast coming through. I'm not sure if the hop profile is due to time or is just normal though. It kinda tastes like an old IPA. However, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The pilsner side of it bolsters that flavor and maintains it.

M: It has a very smooth feel with only a slight bit of coarse carbonation. A quite nice mouthfeel.

O: This is my first pilsner and thus my first double pilsner. I had wanted to get a 2013 bottle, but instead I had to settle for a cheap 2012 bottle. I wish they used M/Y dating. Overall thought this is a quite nice beer from DFH. I bet it is much better fresh with more of a hop profile (hopefully), but it holds up over a year. At least here in MD around me this one is hard to find fresh. Also, this is one of the cheaper DFH 750s ($8-12). I don't know but I feel as if this one might benefit from being a core beer.

4.14/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Despite pilsners typically being my least favorite style of beer, I love Dogfish Head so much i decided to give My Antonia a try. This may have been a good jump into the pilsner game for me as it seems to be a bridge between a true pils and something more intense like an IPA. It pours an interesting cloudy off yellow with a huge fluffy white head that is glued to the side of the glass. Smells of fresh hops, lemon and grapefruit. Hints of yeast and spice. Wonderful aroma. Flavor is not at all what I expected. Hops, pine, lemon, touch of honey and some bread at the end. Flavor is well balanced and not in your face like some imperials can be. Mouthfeel is very light and refreshing. Great summer beer. Overall, I really love this beer, definitely my new favorite pilsner.

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass, light golden straw colored with an insanely huge white head that lingers leaving good lacing, hazy

S: fresh bright malt with a nice loading of citrus hops, grass, grain

T: sweeter up front then fades to a lasting citrus hop bitterness, clean palate

M: lighter and heavily carbonated, alcohol completely hidden, refreshing

O: quite a nice lager

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

3.75/5  rDev -6%

A: poured into a pilsner glass to a clear and light yellow with a three finger dense white head that is slow to fade
S: smells of citrus rind and a bit of malt sweetness
T: slightly bready malt with ample amounts of clean citrusy and slightly piney bitterness with a bit of light sweetness from the malt to provide a bit of balance, slightly herbal and woody flavors as well. swallow brings more citrusy and piney hops with a bit more malt sweetness
M: lighter side of medium with ample and slightly prickly carbonation. refreshing finish
O: a very tasty beer, a bit simple but such is the style and this one is clean and refreshing with a solid dose of hop flavor

4.59/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Slightly more orange in color than a typical pale lager, with the most incredible floral hop aroma and delicate, refined taste. I guess this one qualifies as imperial pilsner due to comparatively high alcohol content. Certainly a lager brewed right. Enthusiastically recommended!

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%