Saison Du BUFF - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 08-05-2010

Plans call for Saison du BUFF to be a 6% alc/vol Saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This beer will be brewed three times, once at each brewery using the same recipe.
Ratings: 1,511 | Reviews: 440
2.87/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Had in a four pack I picked up in Delaware. I thought this was only a one time thing but I guess they keep brewing it. Pours yellow, mostly clear, with a super fluffy head. Smell is... Odd. I can't put my finger on it but there is a ton of spice and herbs here. Somewhat medicinal. Had one sip and I don't like this at all. So I let it warm up, still bad. Very medicinal in the herb choice, almost like a liquid Ricola cough drop. Drain pour. Had another bottle a few days later, drain pour. Not good.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

Shocked by the low rating in this beer. Amazing looking and mouth feel and very good smell and taste.

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 6/10/14 at 42 degrees into a flute
Aroma upon opening the bottle is overpoweringly nauseating but it quickly drops to a somewhat pleasant parsley odor.
Head large (10.5 cm, aggressive pour), white, frothy, diminishing to irregular frothy ring and partial frothy layer
Lacing fair – irregular islands and archipelagos of small to medium bubbled froth.
Body light yellow, hazy, effervescent
Flavor odd. Not picking up any of the yeast phenolics or fruity esters of a normal saison, just a vegetable taste, more like parsnip than parsley, no rosemary or sage, light peppery bite; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light, watery, carbonation watery

Appearance 4, Aroma 3.5, Flavor 2.5, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.25

3.57/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 year old bottle. Nice hazy, darkish orange in appearance. Get the rosemary and sage on the nose but not as in your face as I had hoped. Also a little citrusy. The flavors seemed muted, but definitely an herbal taste. Easy drinking but very carbonated...too much in my opinion. Overall a drinkable saison but nothing spectacular. I'd buy every year to see how they do it but wouldn't buy multiples.

3.74/5  rDev -0.8%

Bottled 06/19/14 Poured into a tulip glass.

L- Muted yellow, hazy, three finger white head, a few tiny particles.

S- Lemongrass, yeast, the herbs come through but not in an overwhelming way.

T- Similar to aroma, lemongrass, yeast, and some of the herbs, mostly rosemary and sage coming through. Little bit of hops on the finish.

F- Medium, nice high carbonation that is typical of the style.

O- This is like many Dogfish Had beers in that it takes a bit for your palate to warm up to the flavor combination but I think the herbs work well here. They are not over done and maybe the fact that it's almost a year old has something to do with that but the Saison yeast is still the main flavor of this beer. I really liked the carbonation level of this beer and really reminds me of Saison Dupont in it's look.

3.89/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy pear color with a massive head and sediment on the bottom. Earthy, herbal, spicy, bready and fruity; particularly tropical fruits. Complex taste; fruits, bread, leafy, and alcohol. Predominant among these is the herbs and spices which makes this stand apart from other saisons. Also a hint of tobacco. Light mouthfeel, zesty carbonation and dry finish.
Overall I like this one even if it's not my favorite from dog fish head. The intense herb infusion tends to overpower and lose balance, however, I applaud DFH's continued efforts in taking it to the extreme.

2.85/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Golden color, surprisingly brilliantly clear. Pours a big white head, fluffy and with decent retention.

Slightly unpleasant minty aroma, definitely smells of a spice beer. No malt, no hops.

First flavor thought that came to mind for me was mouthwash. Slightly minty and sweet. Spices/yeast also provide a medicinal flavor early, amplifying the minty mouthwash sensation.

Fairly thin body and moderate high carbonation provides for a refreshing mouthfeel.

It looks good and feels good, but smells and tastes bad. I tend to love DFH's core "normal" beers, but often am disappointed by their goofier offerings. This falls under the latter category. Trying not to dwell on how much I wasted on a 4-pack of this swill.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Look: Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle with massive amounts of thick and fluffy foam (4+ finger). The appearance is a crystal clear yellow and gold. The head sticks around for a long time before diminishing but never totally vanished. There were quite a few ‘bubble-streams’ shooting up from the bottom.

Smell: The first scent is of tart fruit with a strong yeasty and sour orange follow up.

Feel: This is a bit fuller in feel than expected but not quite reaching the medium level. There was not much effervescence on the tongue and it feels a bit slippery.

Taste: At first there is a rush of sourness and bitterness that fades into hops, lemon, orange, bread, and earthiness. There is a slight sourness throughout, but it doesn’t overpower the other flavors that dance around. There are other notes of pepper and 1 of everything from an herb garden.

Overall: I stay away from lighter and sour beers so I was a little nervous with this one. This was much better than I expected as there was not too much sourness and plenty of other flavors mixed in. I may just like Saisons if I can find similar ones to this one. I am quite pleased with the balance of this one and it has helped me get in touch with my sour side.

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Although this may not be my favorite beer, and I'll never buy it again, I appreciate it. I don't really care for saisons, but this was really well balanced. The herbs were all there and noticeable, but not overpowering like other herbal beers.

This went well with Italian grilled chicken on a Michigan spring day.

3.32/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Too tart for me, but gd mouthfeel like oj 3.75

3.57/5  rDev -5.3%

At 15 bucks a case this is the best deal I've ever gotten on craft beer! Must have been a fire sale maybe out of code but it's drinking great. If your store got some of this fire sale I'd definately not hesitate. Well worth the 75 cents for a bottle

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

$2.49, 12oz bottle from Copper Vine dated 06/10/14, poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- 1-finger, fluffy, off-white head. The hazy, golden-orange body has some yeast floaties from a sloppy pour. The head settles in to a lingering foam and leaves nice, lacy webs on the glass.

S- Lemony and funky at first. Black pepper aroma comes through pretty strong as well. The spices mentioned on the label are there, just not so bold. I probably wouldn't have picked them out on my own.

T- Wow! It starts off with the classic saison flavor, yeasty funk, some lemon, and soft wheaty malts. Then, those cooking spices kick in. Pairing the rest with a Little Caesars hot-n-ready might be a good call. It definitely comes off as an Italian inspired sipper. Maybe a little heavy on the added spice. A sweetness returns in the finish.

M- Medium body and carbonation. A little long in the finish as it comes back to sweet.

O- An interesting take on a saison. Not quite my cuppa tea, but I respect what they were going after. Probably a one-and-done.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Brilliant gold with a light copper tint under a finely bubbled white foam collar that hugs the glass leaving a fine sheet of lace.
S: Citrus, fruit, light herb – first sniff very herby.
T: Some ripe fruit with a slight funk, herbs, a little vegetal. M: Smooth, medium body and carbonation.
O: Manages to pull off the Scarborough Fair herbs without being offensive.

4.34/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Those spices just made my pallet tingle I loved this the spices that were in it threw me off but it was great I want more!

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Cloudy and golden, with fluffy white head. Smelled citrusy hops and honey, maybe some stone fruits (peach). Couldn't pick out herbs at all, which really confused me, but I did get some spice. White pepper in the finish, almost like a Gruner Veltliner. I bought this beer, because the concept interested me. I don't feel that DFH delivered, this time.

4.64/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dogfish Head knows what they are doing.

4.82/5  rDev +27.9%

Loved it so much I copied the recipe for homebrew.

2.77/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Is this really a saison, though? It drinks like a belgian. I did not enjoy this.

4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Cloudy yellow, white head, extensive, tight-bubbled lacing.

S - Farm-cut grass, green herbaceousness, primarily sage. Earthier notes, as well.

T - This is a pleasant saison, with a nice sour wheat note combining with the floral and spice notes. Some funkiness in the front, acidic bite in the close, and throughout the leafy herbs play subtly without become overwhelming.

M - Fairly brisk, smooth, with a nice rounded close.

O - This is an interesting experiment, building off a solidly produced saison base, this beer delivers enough of its herb themes to evidence its commitment to these ingredients without allowing them to undermine the drinking experience. Not necessarily something I'd grab often, this is still a well executed beer.

3.39/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Really nice clear, yellow color with thick head. Nose is really odd....I've seen some really interesting descriptions for the smells from saisons, but this one is tough for me....I'm not opposed to some funk, as a saison should be, be the herbs really give it an unpleasant initial impression....almost a drain pour. Now the taste, completely different ballgame.....actually quite pleasant.....good mouthfeeel, citrusy, light....one of the first beers where I'm disconnected from the smell and taste.....physiologically, not sure how that happens, but it did. Wouldn't buy again, but wouldn't turn one down either if purchased for me.

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: Light golden hazy body with a short fluffy white head. Some faint visible carbonation. The head doesn't last long and leaves scant lacing.

Aroma: It has a very potent "Saison" characteristic on the nose. Strong sour aroma like rotting fruit, black pepper scent, pungent mildew. All the horrible scents that are expected in a great Sason. Horray!

Taste: I get a light wheat flavor with a bit of tangy bite. There is a spicy hop bitterness and I am distinctly picking up thyme and what tastes to me like oregano. Overall it is a light tasting beer that heavily showcases this spicy and even somewhat floral flavor.

Mouthfeel: It is a light beer that finishes halfway dry and leaves a coating of spicy bitterness on the mouth. It works out very nicely.

Overall: It is a very unique tasting beer that I probably wouldn't drink more than one of, and it doesn't currently leave me craving for another. However it is very well crafted and leaves enough room in the overall flavor that the spice in the beer doesn't consume it entirely. I would not recommend it specifically to Saison drinkers, but rather to pale ale and IPA drinkers who are always searching for new hop flavors (specifically herbal ones). This actually does a fair job of scratching the itch for new hop flavors (even though it is predominantly flavored through cooking herbs). I would recommend it.

4.53/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle, poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, cloudy, deep, golden color with a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that almost, not but quite, completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Pretty aromatic, with strong notes of toasted malt and Belgian yeast, imparting aromas of toasted French baguettes and tons of spices and herbs, such as black pepper, cardamom, coriander, clove, lavender, parsley, rosemary, sage and thyme. I also get some lemony-citrus, candied sugar, honey and finally, lots of piney hops.

Taste: Wow! Delicious! Strong flavors of bready, toasted malt up front, imparting flavors of English muffins and French baguettes, followed by some good amounts of honey-like sweetness, spices of black pepper, cardamom, coriander, clove, lavender, parsley, rosemary, sage and thyme, some piney, hoppy bitterness and Belgian yeast. The beer has a very short finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and pretty effervescent as there is quite a bit of carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 6.8%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a very delicious, outstanding, American version of a Belgian Saison. It has great, balanced flavors of toasted malt, spices, citrus, funk and hoppy bitterness. Highly, highly, recommended!

4.61/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Brown with off white head. Thick head.
S: Very pleasant aroma of herbs (Sage is a dominant herb aroma) sage, rosemary, parsley. Fruity aroma from yeast, slight malty and hoppy aroma.
T: Taste follow the nose - slight sweetness, sage with herbs and spiceyness, finish is dry, crisp, slightly bitter.
M: Medium to full body is unusual for the style but makes for a pleasant drink. Good carbonation.
O: Very enjoyable ale. Pair with Italian food.

4.44/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

another great dogfish head. they've got it figured out

1.78/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

A total drain pour for me. I could not even get through my 5 oz tasting glass. Glad I just bought 1. This one is not for me

Saison Du BUFF from Dogfish Head Brewery