Saison Du BUFF - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 08-05-2010

Plans call for Saison du BUFF to be a 6% alc/vol Saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This beer will be brewed three times, once at each brewery using the same recipe.
Reviews: 431 | Hads: 1,516
1.46/5  rDev -62.1%

My husband and I bought this beer at Dogfish in Rehoboth. We opened it tonight. We first served it in tulips, and then tried half pints.

Appearance: The appearance was yellow with a thick head.

Smell: No one else has mentioned the fact that this beer smells like cat urine. I could also smell thyme and dill, both of which I like very much.

Taste: This my first saison/farmhouse type beer. Although I enjoyed the dill/thyme taste, I could not get over the urine smell when the glass was at my lips. We switched glasses to see if would improve things for me, and it did slightly, but not enough to enjoy drinking this beer.

Mouthfeel: It was a very light beer. I like light beers very much in the summer. If it tasted better, it would be a great summer beer.

Drinkability: I just could not get over the smell. We have seven bottles left, so I am hoping to trade. (866 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

A golden orange with a decent white head that quickly becomes a small white head and then gravitates to the edges. Decent retention. A very herby aroma, totally unique to me to be coming from a beer, with a sweetness to it. That aroma is right there in the flavor too. A nice malt base to this and the herbs kick in mid stream. Very up front; gMedium bodied to this, not much carbonation at all. I enjoyed my first few sips but the more of it I drank the more I found the flavor to start to become too much and I barely could finish the bottle. (544 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -37.1%

had this on tap when Stone first released it. didnt enjoy it so much, but decided to give the DFH bottle version a try.

pours a slightly hazy straw color with a huge, soapy almost white head that sticks around forever and leaves tons of lacing.

aroma is mostly herbs, with rosemary being the strongest for me. some yeasty aromas and a hint of bread dough. too much herbs.

flavor starts off with some yeasty funk and a bit of pepper and lemon, but is quickly overtaken by the herbs which become way too much in the same fashion that many fruit beers rely too much on the fruits. herbs stick on the tongue way too long and strong and have me reaching for my water to cleanse the palate for the next sip. It starts off tasty, but quickly goes downhill.

velvety smooth with a good amount of carbonation. hindered by herbal aftertaste that tingles the tongue unpleasantly.

has a decent saison start promising to be a refreshing and tasty beer, but the flavors pull way too far away from that to make drinking this a struggle. probably my last attempt to enjoy this beer. Its just not for me. (1,092 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -34.5%

12oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

Pours a hazy light golden color and creates a half finger head with adequate lacing. The herbal smell is overwhelming and smells more like thyme and sage, a very grassy smell. Nothing like anything I've had before. The initial taste is better than the smell until you swallow and then you go right back to that grassy sage and thyme overkill. However, it goes down smoothly and the carbonation is just right. Dogfish says they are off-centered and this beer certainly sticks to that theme. But, I'm going to stick with their more traditional offerings. (610 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -34%

A- Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow color with a huge, soapy white head. Head has descent retention and leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Smell is herbal, yeasty and a hint of bread dough.

T- Taste is yeasty funk, herbal and a bit of pepper. Quite a bit of herbs almost over kill.

M- Light in body and good amount of carbonation.

D- Pretty interesting ingredients listed on the bottle for sure. Just think they go better on food rather than beer. Found this one on the harder side to drink. Just didn't have the beer taste that I really enjoy. (549 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -33%

If you have ever wanted a beer that smells like a fancy country store soap, or wondered what would happen if Simon and Garfunkel started brewing, you have found your beer. It exemplifies why rosemary, sage, and thyme are not standard ingredients for beer. At $3.99 per 12oz bottle, make sure you buy just one. I found it interesting and unique, but had no desire for another one. Though it did leave me feeling clean :) (419 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average. Bottled 2012.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger white colour head, quite thin, without any cream and of poor (~30 second retention). Colour is a clear yellow. Appears overcarbonated. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Lemon peel, spices, honey, fresh clean barley, and sugary clean malts. A mild strength aroma.

T: Lemon peel and spices over top a clean malted barley foundation. The spices are interesting and somewhat subtle. Not a full-bodied or well rounded beer by any means. Hints of straw. Simple and somewhat bland, but enjoyable for what it is. No real layering. No yeast or alcohol come through.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Too thin. A bit watery. A bit undercarbonated.

Dr: It's alright for what it is, but I wouldn't get it again. Somewhat drinkable but unremarkable. A bland saison. Dull and boring.

C- (1,172 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Cloudy and golden, with fluffy white head. Smelled citrusy hops and honey, maybe some stone fruits (peach). Couldn't pick out herbs at all, which really confused me, but I did get some spice. White pepper in the finish, almost like a Gruner Veltliner. I bought this beer, because the concept interested me. I don't feel that DFH delivered, this time. (350 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -31.7%

Being in the company of a giant usually produces a streak of fear--listen to Odysseus cry out to the gods in the shadow of Polyphemus or witness Gulliver screaming in terror at the sight of the Brobdingnag. But what about being in the company of three giants? Oddly enough, in the case of Dogfish Head, Stone, and Victory, it doesn't spark a triple helping of fear. Rather, these three brewing powerhouses coming together for Saison du Buff caused a wave of eager anticipation.

Pouring from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass presents a light golden, sparkling beer with a frothy head that quickly dissipates with not even the reminder of lacing left to grace the glass. Nearly immediately, strong herbal notes waft through the air, with an undercurrent of lemongrass, white pepper, and just a drop of pine resin. Sipping the beer confirms the promise of herbs--in fact, the first few swallows are akin to homeopathic medicine, with all of the subtlety afforded by a thyme-based cough elixir. Later, though, a bit of spice fights its way through before finishing on a sweeter rosemary note. It feels light and joyful in the mouth, but any promise of sessionability is marred by the medicinal dose given to the taste buds.

Perhaps, Odysseus and Gulliver's first reactions weren't incorrect--any giant, even those that are benign or gracious, cannot escape the nature of his size. A giant's tiny misstep is viewed from the lower perspective as an enormous error, a short stumble is seen as a crashing fall. Because saisons are best when balanced, any tipping toward one extreme or another can be a tragedy to the essence of the style--so when a trio of brewing giants makes such an imbalance, it is unfortunately magnified in the mouth and heart of this reviewer. (1,763 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured nicely... But thats as far as I can really say neat things about this one. I loved the idea of the various spices. To me, the sage seemed too pronounced and overshadowed the other herbs.
I do have to add that as w hole I am not a huge fan of Saison style.
I do always give credit to DogFish Head brewers. They can come up with all sorts of different variations on beers (377 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -30.6%

Pours cloudy yellow gold color with a 2 finger foamy white head that was full of bubbles and faded very slowly, leaving nice spotty lacing and a creamy layer on top.

Smells of herbs up front, like a spice rack; after a few more sniffs I could make out thyme, rosemary, mint, parsley, allspice or cumin and other floral herbs and spices. There was some elements of biscuit, yeast and bread, but the herbs dominated the nose and made the whole smelling experience off – it does not smell like beer at all.

Tastes like a Belgian initially, with thyme, rosemary, pepper, coriander, parsley, light floral hops, yeast, grass, hay, straw, toasted grains and vegetables; like the nose, the herbs seem over the top and were too much for my liking – this tasted better than it smelled, but it was too spicy and herbal to be refreshing.

Mouthfeel is very smooth with very light carbonation, a light/medium body, and a semi-dry earthy herbal finish that was spicy and trailed off with a very complicated mix of herbs and spices.

An interesting experiment, but not what I expected and another beer I’m glad I tried but I would not try again unless it was a food pairing designed to compliment this beer. Each sip had sensory distortion as the aroma coming up through my tulip glass just blasted me with herbs and kept the overall experience out of synch. Gotta support the cause and the craft beer movement, but these misses are like collateral damage in the war to keep the beer machine flowing. One and done on this collaboration. (1,533 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -27.5%

I had this one in a pint glass. Poured with a thick 3-4" of head. The color was a really nice, murky yellow. I knew this wasn't the saison I was looking for when I took a whiff. Instead of the spicy fruity tones of a saison, I got hops. The taste was more of the same. DFH does hops. I was intrigued to see them produce a style that traditionally leans more on spice for flavor. But with DFH and Stone on the label, it had to be hops in the bottle. It isn't a bad beer, it just isn't a good saison. (498 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -27%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

And the trifecta is finally complete. Like the other iterations, this one pours a slightly hazed golden straw topped by a strong finger of white froth. The nose comprises sage, greens, coriander, parsley (beyond the darker miscellaneous greens already mentioned...), onions, cardamom, and orange peel. The taste is similarly herby and spicy, though to a much greater and bitterer extent. Some gourd flesh finds its way in there, too, along with a hint of walnuts near the finish line. The body is a heavy light, with a light moderate carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Overall, like the others in the set, I am just not a fan of the multi-herb and spice combo. At least not in this particular delivery method, anyway. (751 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Golden color, surprisingly brilliantly clear. Pours a big white head, fluffy and with decent retention.

Slightly unpleasant minty aroma, definitely smells of a spice beer. No malt, no hops.

First flavor thought that came to mind for me was mouthwash. Slightly minty and sweet. Spices/yeast also provide a medicinal flavor early, amplifying the minty mouthwash sensation.

Fairly thin body and moderate high carbonation provides for a refreshing mouthfeel.

It looks good and feels good, but smells and tastes bad. I tend to love DFH's core "normal" beers, but often am disappointed by their goofier offerings. This falls under the latter category. Trying not to dwell on how much I wasted on a 4-pack of this swill. (728 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Saison Du Buff, Dogfish label. Generally, ale brewed with parsley, sage, and rosemary does not get me too excited. However, the trifecta of Dogfish Head, Victory, and Stone, does. So, worth a shot...

Holy giant head! At least several inches with a conservative pour into a big wine glass. Nice straw color, clearish, with little champagney bubbles. Aroma is pretty unusual - very herbal as expected, with the rosemary taking charge, and also a lemony bite and a good dose of hops. Interesting, yes. Desirable, eh, I dunno... all depends on the flavor, which iiiiss...

Eh, not bad actually. Much more subdued herb factor, nice and subtle, but definitely present. There's a bit too much lemon going on here as well, not entirely sure where that's coming from. Odd grainyness, sort of like an average lager. Hmm, messy mouthfeel. All in all this is a cool beer but really not coming together well. The herbal trio is an interesting idea but the sage and rosemary are just too strong. Maybe different herbs, different result. But, this ends up a jumble. Still, admirable. (1,069 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass at Green House Tavern in Cleveland. Drank in the same Session as Victory and Stone's SdB in order to compare

A - Hazy Grapefruit pour with a two and a half finger head that settles into inch-thick fluffiness. Leaves a healthy spiderweb lacing down the side of the glass

S - A sharp bite of citrus that moves quickly into a nice herbal aroma that unfortunately is too heavy on the Rosemary. Eases into a light mintiness near the end. I could use a little more of the rest of the herbs so there's more balance with the Rosemary.

T - A little too flat on the flavor. The herb was where it needed to be (although again a little heavy on the Rosemary) but not enough funkiness or citrus that I look forward to in a Saison. I think I picked up a little sweetness that took away from the taste as well.

M - Great liveliness and carbonation, and finishes quick. Would be quenching if it weren't for the slightly cloying taste.

D - All in all, I'm not impressed with this enough to ever try it again. This collaboration was a bit of a disappointment for me, as Stone's was the only one I'd try again. Still, points for trying. (1,162 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Had in a four pack I picked up in Delaware. I thought this was only a one time thing but I guess they keep brewing it. Pours yellow, mostly clear, with a super fluffy head. Smell is... Odd. I can't put my finger on it but there is a ton of spice and herbs here. Somewhat medicinal. Had one sip and I don't like this at all. So I let it warm up, still bad. Very medicinal in the herb choice, almost like a liquid Ricola cough drop. Drain pour. Had another bottle a few days later, drain pour. Not good. (501 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -24.4%

A-Clear straw color. Head is frothy and smallish. Head leaves tons of lacing. Body of the beer is transparent.

S-not much barnyard in the nose. No funk but you can smell the parsley, sage and rosemary. Subtle hoppiness. Definitely a unique take on the style.

T-Quite like the nose. All the things that are described on the bottleare there...perhaps too much. Kinda tastes like Bath and Body Works bathsoap. It gets less tasty after every sip. But would pair well with a nicely seasoned pork chop.

M-Lighter bodied with a bunch of carbonation. A bit dry. Crisp, but the flavors block its potential crispness.

O/D-Not a big fan of this. The spices are too noticeable. At least this was not too pricey at under $3 for a small bottle. Won't try again. (751 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured into a tulip.

4.5 A: Lightly hazed medium yellow color. The carbonation is a bit aggressive and gave a big healthy three plus finger head. Head is white and can only be described as a dense froth. Good retention and plenty of lacing. Definitely a looker.

4.5 S: Big healthy amounts of herbs. I can smell the parsley and rosemary very well and imaging the rest of the aromas can be attributed to the sage and thyme (I don't use them ever so I have no idea what they smell like by themselves). Lemon zest citrus and a touch of general light fruitiness. Very nice here too.

2.0 T: The taste is a bit of a disappointment after the appearance and nose. The herbalness that made the nose so nice works against in the taste. A general vegetal herbalness (reminiscent of when I made a pale ale with yerba mate) simply doesn't work that well. Overly dry with a bit of lemon and not much else fruitiness. Alcohol is also slightly apparent. Grassy hops. Overall a bit yeasty as well.

3.0 M: Medium body. There's plenty of carbonation, but it is a "dead" carbonation in opposition to "spritzy" carbonation. In a saison, I want the latter everytime. Not particularly smooth either. It's a bit chewy.

2.5 D: Not terrible, but not too good either. I'm not sure where they went wrong, but the herbs don't work as well in this one as it some others. I wouldn't mind having this on occasion, but not for $3/bottle. (1,409 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle to pint glass. 2nd of the 3 in the series.

Appearance: Cloudy and hazy yellow. Looks similar to a hefeweizen. Thin top covering layer of pure white.

Smell: Clean crisp smell. Bit of yeast, some faint fruit. Parsley in the background.

Taste: Very crisp up front. Strong flavors of parsley and other herbs. Faint vegetative flavor. Hops are earthy and hard to distinguish between the spices. Yeast is present but also hard to detect.

Mouthfeel: Astringent and harsh up front. Fades to a moderate carbonation level.

Drinkability: The stone beer is a bit smoother, and has more complexity. The spices are more in the background and after taste. In the DFH version the spices are too up front and dominate the charateristics of the beer. Its tough to remember that this is a saison. (795 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

12 ounce bottle in my Siebel Institute Tulip.

A - Large ice cream cone head. Color is yellow to light orange with slight carbonation. Slight lacing is apparent

S - spices, slight grass and slight lemon

T - muted spices at the finish are overpowering. Soapy undertones

M - Carbonation and body is in line with the style.

Drinkability - This spices in this saison didn't quite work. Instead of adding taste they kind of drowned out the beer. Just didn't work for me. Not a bad beer but not great either. (507 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

a: This was a slightly hazy straw colored yellow. It poured with a medium sized sticky head.

s: I called Stone's version hoppy, but after walking past our thyme plant, I think that was what I primarily smelled. Here I found relatively strong herbal notes that weren't as strong or as fresh smelling as the Stone version. The herbal aromas are reminiscent of hops though. The bubblegum and clove yeasty notes are very different than the Stone Du Buff. This was interesting but Stone's was a good deal better.

t: This is pretty far removed from the Stone version I enjoyed so much. It was more muddled tasting and blander overall. The musty, earthy spices clashed with the sweet banana and bubblegum yeast. Thyme was the strongest spice flavor as with Stone's, but it wasn't as fresh or zesty tasting. There is a strong peppery clove aftertaste.

m: Peppery, champagne like carbonation is spot on for a saison.

d: A beer brewed with parsley sage rosemary and thyme is a gimmick. These spices weren't selected for beer purposes but for novelty's sake. I can discern the thyme and possibly the rosemary, but I have a hard time believing that parsley can have any impact at all. Regardless, I did like the Stone version so this was a very disappointing surprise. I can't believe how different this was. (1,301 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -20.8%

12oz Singleton into a Balloon glass

I picked up 2 of each Dogfish, Victory and Stone on this one at Argonaut. My guy there told me not to pull the trigger, I didn't not listen. Par usual, I should have.

L: Lots and lots and lots of soapy head.

S: Light and Crisp. Lots of aromatics, but not overwhelmingly so. Which is surprising considering the label. Heavy wheat in the front of the nose, the 4 seasonings (particularly rosemary and thyme heavy) in the back.

T: Soapy. Thyme hits first, light and refreshing. Something off about the finish ... rosemary and beer aren't friends ...

F: Light and bubbly, but wears out its welcome.

D: Not as refreshing or delicious as a Saison should be. And somewhat weird.

This ... is a phenomenally arrogant beer. Typically when I say that, it's a complement. In this case, it's not. These 4 herbs (with the exception of parsley) are each strong as hell in their own right, and typically are not mixed ... at least not more than 2 at a time. They tried to do the impossible, and found it impossible. Not nearly what I'd expect from a collaboration between these 3 brewers. (1,115 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -20.8%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Very mellow yellow golden, looks like a ipa. Monster frothy 3 inch white head

SMell - Lots of hops, lemon, grapefruit many spices. Floral yeast smell also.

Taste - Starts off with some pine hop flavor, then the spices and sour yeast kick in. You can really taste the minty sage and rosemary. Has that burnt dogfish head hop kick hidden under all the spices.

Mouthfeel - Very sour minty bitter taste left on tounge. Aftertaste lasts forever, and its a odd one at that. No burn or warming, just bitterness on tounge.

Drinkabilty - Im having a hard time finishing this. Very strange spices mixed in giving this a odd flavor. WOuld like to try this without the rosemary and sage. Could be a decent pilsnar with strong hop presence, like victory prima pils. Not for me, i wouldnt recommend this strange brew. (845 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sharing a single with my buddy Aw Yeh on my back patio. Poured into a Jackie O's pint glass.

Appearance - A slightly opaque banana yellow with an extremely soapy head. Extremely clumpy lacing.

Smell - A light farm-like smells. A very grassy and herbal nose that smells naturally medicinal. Some definitive banana and wheatgrass. Very green and plant-like in the smell.

Taste - Not a bad saison. A bit of an unexpected splash. The sage is very apparent in the forefront, with trickles of black pepper and lavendar. Spicy on the palate with hints of light lemon peel.

Mouthfeel and Overall - Light bodied and unique, as I've come to expect from Dogfish Head. A nice collaberation between Stone, Victory and DFH. A bit of a skunky aftertaste in the end. (754 characters)

Saison Du BUFF from Dogfish Head Brewery