Saison Du BUFF - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 08-05-2010

Plans call for Saison du BUFF to be a 6% alc/vol Saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This beer will be brewed three times, once at each brewery using the same recipe.

1.25/5  rDev -66.8%

1.46/5  rDev -61.3%

My husband and I bought this beer at Dogfish in Rehoboth. We opened it tonight. We first served it in tulips, and then tried half pints.

Appearance: The appearance was yellow with a thick head.

Smell: No one else has mentioned the fact that this beer smells like cat urine. I could also smell thyme and dill, both of which I like very much.

Taste: This my first saison/farmhouse type beer. Although I enjoyed the dill/thyme taste, I could not get over the urine smell when the glass was at my lips. We switched glasses to see if would improve things for me, and it did slightly, but not enough to enjoy drinking this beer.

Mouthfeel: It was a very light beer. I like light beers very much in the summer. If it tasted better, it would be a great summer beer.

Drinkability: I just could not get over the smell. We have seven bottles left, so I am hoping to trade.

1.5/5  rDev -60.2%

1.5/5  rDev -60.2%

1.75/5  rDev -53.6%

1.78/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

A total drain pour for me. I could not even get through my 5 oz tasting glass. Glad I just bought 1. This one is not for me

1.91/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

A golden orange with a decent white head that quickly becomes a small white head and then gravitates to the edges. Decent retention. A very herby aroma, totally unique to me to be coming from a beer, with a sweetness to it. That aroma is right there in the flavor too. A nice malt base to this and the herbs kick in mid stream. Very up front; gMedium bodied to this, not much carbonation at all. I enjoyed my first few sips but the more of it I drank the more I found the flavor to start to become too much and I barely could finish the bottle.

1.96/5  rDev -48%