Saison Du BUFF - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 08-05-2010

Plans call for Saison du BUFF to be a 6% alc/vol Saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This beer will be brewed three times, once at each brewery using the same recipe.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,475 | Reviews: 426

4.72/5  rDev +25.2%

One of my favorite beers from last year - had the Victory version. Was glad to see it was brought back. Visited the Dogfish Head brewery in Milton in early April and bought a case of this. Poured into a Victory Golden Monkey snifter glass.

A: Pours a clear gold with good carbonation. Okay white head that fades to some small lacing.

S: With all the herbs added to this beer, I honestly can't tell them apart. What I do know is that the aroma is very inticing with the lemon Citra hops mixing beautifully with what I view as Italian herbs. To me, this one screams Italian cooking and/or food, and I just love the bouquet of herbal notes it gives off.

T: Like the smell with a strong lemon-like quality. Tastes pilsner sweet with the herbs again producing a great, intriguing quality. The alcohol is barely noticeable.

M: Nice & dry with a touch of sweetness from the malts. Some good bitterness at the back end.

O: A well done collaboration beer. This is a saison that really hits the spot. Good timing, too, because the weather has certainly heated up recently here around Philly.

I also agree with the review directly below in that the only real problem with this beer is the price tag. At roughly $52 for a case, it's not the cheapest of craft beers. But I certainly like it, and look forward to brewing a homebrew version with the recipe straight out of Stone's book. Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Information: I had this beer back when it was originally released in May of 2010 by Stone. I was in Virginia Beach, and Grape & Gourmet (the best bottle shop in the area) got a shipment in on my second day there. The beer is a collaboration between Stone, Victory, and Dogfish Head. All three breweries plan to release it again in 2012 starting with DFH in March….Victory in April….and Stone in late May.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange color with almost two fingers worth of off-white foam floating on top. The head has finally settled to a thin and spotty layer after almost 10 minutes or so. There’s some pretty good head retention and lacing on the glass.

Aroma: The herbs definitely come through nicely in the smell. Particularly the sage and the thyme. I’m also getting fresh cut grass and a touch of lemon zest in there as well. The typical characteristics of a good farmhouse ale are also present, but they’re in the background.

Taste: I’m getting wheat and grains up front followed closely by a hint of lemon. After that, it’s the herbs’ time to shine! I’m getting the rosemary and sage in full force, but I feel like I can taste the thyme and parsley as well. There’s another dose of malts and grains towards the back end. A refreshing finish with a touch of hop bitterness, tart lemon, and lingering herbs.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall: A unique, refreshing, and darn tasty Saison.

Morey’s Bottom Line: I found this beer really refreshing back in 2010 while BBQing by the pool at our resort. It’s unseasonably warm today, and it’s like deja vu. I really like this beer a lot. You would never guess that it’s 6.8%. The only thing that will keep me from drinking this all summer long is the price. At $3.99 per 12oz. bottle, it’s just not within my budget. If you see this on the shelf, I highly recommend grabbing a 6 pack (or at least a couple of bottles).

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

3.61/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

2012 release, DFH version. Tulip glass.

A: Pours a very light golden, brilliant clarity, with about a finger of snow white head. Pretty good retention and some lacing.

S: The spice foursome dominates the nose (particularly the rosemary) with a pronounced savoryness, although the underlying malt pushes through a bit.

T: Similar, a lot of the savory spices come through. Lengthy finish with kind of a pepper/bitter thing going on.

M: Medium body and carbonation, with some nice crispness.

O: I can only imagine that there must be an awesome food pairing here. Thanksgiving? Maybe. Unfortunately, though, I just don't find these particular spices to be that appetizing in a beer. I don't see enough of the saison character here either--it's mostly overwhelmed. Some lemon or citrus would go a long way in balancing the spice.

4.26/5  rDev +13%

Bottle poured into a Portsmouth Brewery goblet.

Impressive looking - golden-colored with minimal head. Smells yeasty as a good saison should.

I can definitely taste the herbs here - it seems like the thyme sticks out more than the others but I'm not sure. I enjoy cooking with thyme and parsley so this is right up my alley. Also a subtle bitter aftertaste which this IPA fan likes.

I had soured a bit on DFH after trying a couple of sub-par offerings recently, in particular the PJ 20 ale which tasted slightly better than Budweiser. They've redeemed themselves with this one. A very unique saison that I would have more of it it wasn't so expensive.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured into a Nostradamus flute glass. Pours a light orange straw color. Thin, fine off-white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of bready malt, sage and other european herbs. Nice intriguing aroma. Flavor follows, with a nice laid back bready malt and complex herbs. I can pick out sage, but the herbal component is well blended and nothing really dominates. The herbal level seems perfect for the malt backbone to support. Thought I detected a hint of funk in the finish, but it may be the herbs. A very nice, medium to heavy body with creaminess. I thought this was very nicely balanced and has an interesting flavor.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip- pours a very hazy golden yellow, a 1.5 finger white head, fine retention and some nice lacing.

Smell is very enticing and mild- smells like pine hops to me (don't know if there are any in there though...), a little bit of sage and a little bit of rosemary. And some nice yeast.

Taste is pretty mild and well balanced- a little tartness up front (only slight), followed by some pale malt sweetness, and then a little herby taste (more like sage than parsley or rosemary) with what again seems to me to be pine hops at the end. Definitely a little rosemary at the very end though.

Mouthfeel is fine- light body, moderate carbonation. A little prickly, crisp, pretty refreshing. Maybe a little better than the Victory because of the appearance and the aroma but might not taste as good. Hard to say.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Saison Du BUFF from Dogfish Head Brewery