Saison Du BUFF - Dogfish Head Brewery

Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

Plans call for Saison du BUFF to be a 6% alc/vol Saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This beer will be brewed three times, once at each brewery using the same recipe.

(Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 08-05-2010)
4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle purchased at a local bottle shop poured into my DFH signature glass. I wasn't a big fan of the Stone version so I'm hoping DFH did a better job.

Beer is yellow and has a subtle haze to it. Forms a big white head of small and medium bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate and steady.

Aroma is sweet and hoppy. Mild breadiness and mild spice. Smells quite good.

Beer is quite bitter, its got some strong rosemary and thyme flavors in the forward palate but not much else. Its mildly sweet and finishes slightly dry. I do like this better than the Stone version, now I guess I need to go get the Victory version. A very good beer, I still am unsure if this is a saison though.

drabmuh, Sep 04, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a translucent pale golden color with a TON of carbonation bubbles. Has a large, foamy, white head that dissipates slowly and leaves copious lacing.

Smell: Has a bracing citrus smell backed by intense herbal notes (I'm assuming the parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme indicated on the label).

Taste: Starts with a grassy, hoppy bitterness up front (reminds me of Cascade hops but not sure if that's what it is). Develops into a yeasty, citrusy flavor with strong herbal backing. Quite complex and tasty.

Mouthfeel: Fairly crisp and refreshing but seems to be lacking a little body.

Drinkability: An excellent saison even if it isn't exactly to style. I'll be really interested to see if the Victory and Stone versions match up (I guess they should, theoretically, since it's the same recipe).

wahhmaster, Sep 04, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Light golden appearance with a substantial, foamy head
S - Some notes of orange and floral, the herbs, particularly sage and basil, come through as it warms.
T - I get some soft orange or orange blossom when I drink this, which very, very vaguely reminds me of an orange soda with the carbonation. Some light hops, but I get no real sense of the herbs that are in this.
M - Nice carbonation and hops, this is kind of light to medium bodied, with a nice, soft feel to it.
D - This is a nice beer, has some good flavor, but the flavors aren't really as pronounced as they are in the Stone and Victory versions of this beer, at least in my opinion.

Poured into tulip glass.

dzni, Sep 03, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours with a fluffy two-finger head atop a clear gold body. The lacing is good, retention is decent.

The aroma is interesting. Subtle herbal notes combine with citrusy hops to create something I've never quite experienced before.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, but with a solid hop bitterness. I feel like I can really taste the parsley and sage, not so much the other spices. These herbs influence the hop character, making for a piney, woody and herbal flavor profile. Malts provide a cracker-like backbone. Surprisingly clean with a tangy, semi-dry finish. Mouthfeel was light, with soft and lively carbonation.

This is a very interesting and worthy Saison that is definitely not to-style.

dasenebler, Sep 02, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +24.1%

I have to shamefully admit the Stone release of du Buff passed me by with out my knowledge. But seeing this beer in the local beer store caused me to be filled with joy and great expectations.

The beer pours an idyllic pale golden color with a white head and beautiful carbonation. Upon bringing this beer close to your nose you are presented with a potent aroma that is more associated with a roast turkey than a beer. Intrigued, I took a sip, the traditional Belgian sour is there in a crisp clean way but masked behind the array of herbs. The rosemary, and thyme I find are most prevalent and serve to brilliantly complement the the slight malt character. The end result is a Saison that is not only unique, bit highly enjoyable. While Stone snuck by, Dogfish was discovered in a happy coincidence, Victory will be hunted down.

jfdean, Sep 01, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -13%

12 oz bottle.

It pours a nice clear gold with a bright white head that billows high. As it recedes it leaves some pretty nice lacing.

I really liek the smell. It is herbal, yeasty and hoppy. It jsut smells liek freshness, the rosemary, sage, thyme, and parsley are all noticeable, the hops are bright and citrussy, and the yeast is nice and spicy.

The taste isn't as good but it is interesting. The yeast is the driving flavor with plenty of spice. The parsley is the most prominent herb in the flavor. The thyme and the sage also are there but much less. There is a slight bit of hop bitterness but not so much hoppy flavor.

Overall it is an interesting brew, but it gets tiring after a little while, at least it was only a one off.

crossovert, Sep 01, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -21%

12oz bottle to pint glass. 2nd of the 3 in the series.

Appearance: Cloudy and hazy yellow. Looks similar to a hefeweizen. Thin top covering layer of pure white.

Smell: Clean crisp smell. Bit of yeast, some faint fruit. Parsley in the background.

Taste: Very crisp up front. Strong flavors of parsley and other herbs. Faint vegetative flavor. Hops are earthy and hard to distinguish between the spices. Yeast is present but also hard to detect.

Mouthfeel: Astringent and harsh up front. Fades to a moderate carbonation level.

Drinkability: The stone beer is a bit smoother, and has more complexity. The spices are more in the background and after taste. In the DFH version the spices are too up front and dominate the charateristics of the beer. Its tough to remember that this is a saison.

jslot38, Sep 01, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -5%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint.

(A)- Pours a clear yellow goldenrod color that produced a huge fluffy white head with some awesome retention behind it with clumps of lacing all over.

(S)- A burst of lemon and rosemary spice with lots of pine and thyme in there; a spice cabinet in a bottle.

(T)- A fresh burst of lemon peel with a light piney rosemary combo in the middle. Finishes with more spicy lemon and light honey sweetness.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Has a much better balance of the spices than the Stone bottling; not as bitter or palate numbing in the spice category.

(D)- Still an interesting take on the style. Fresh, with that spice cabinet kick.

sweemzander, Aug 31, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a soft gold color, slight haze. Head is thick, crisp and bright white in appearance. It sticks quite a bit as time goes on.

Whoa: a lot of citrus on the nose! Coriander sneaks in through the back door.

The taste is full of fruit flavors: lemon, tangerine, mango: Dry finish and some spices (more of the coriander along with orange peel) on the tail end.

The body has a solid presence. You can feel the carbonation dancing on your tongue. Overall, very drinkable with some interesting flavors hiding throughout.

brianjay, Aug 31, 2010

A: poured into duvel tulip, pours clear yellow with a finger and a half white head which fell slow and laces well.
S: very strong rosemary and sage, along with a bit of citrus and dry malt.
T: rosemary and sage are first noticed, then a lemon citrus and lightly sweet malt. herbal flavors linger long.
M: medium-high carbonation, slick and crisp.
D: much like stones, except price per bottle is much cheaper and would be cheaper to have a few.

rootbeerman, Aug 31, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Bought a bottle at Groton Market. Dogfish label. Served in red wine glass.

A - Pours a relatively clear straw yellow. Head forms nicely and retreats quickly, leaving behind spare lacing. Occasional small bubbles can be seen shooting up.

Ar - Aroma is delightfully flowery with a hint of lavender. Almost invokes the color purple.

T - Body is light and releases a fair amount of effervescence if swirled. Bouquet is herbal and some hints of candy are present along with a good hit of spice in the middle that I can't quite identify (if I had to pick from the ones listed on the bottle I'd prob pick sage). Finish is crisp and hop dryness stays appropriately. As the beer warms up, the herbal flavors and notes definitely take over and even release a strong grapefruit finish.

D - A good sippin beer for sure. After finishing one I definitely have a craving for another one to see if I could come across more flavors and smells. A six pack would be a good start for three friends and an even better start for two.

Overall a very enjoyable experience. Definitely worth checking out if you are new to Saisons (this is a good but different take) or if you are bored with the Saisons you've been drinking.

AARomanov, Aug 31, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

Figured I'd review this one here as this is the DFH bottling of this beer that I'm drinking.

Pale golden color with mild white head that recedes to a lasting film on the surface of the beer. Aroma comes out only with warming, a bit of paler malt and then strong herbal notes, I'm getting more of the rosemary and thyme than anything. Tastes similar in that there are strong herbal notes on top of an otherwise unremarkable saison. Bitterness is high, but not necessarily due to hopping, which appears to be largely grassy and herbal as well. MF is slick, but could be creamier, as it stands the beer lies flat on the palate. Drinkability is ok, but the flavors in this one make it a tough drink. Definitely interesting, just not exactly the most enjoyable beer I've ever had.

LordAdmNelson, Aug 30, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

A: A honey yellow color. Bright with a good head.
S: Nice strong citrus scent with rosmary with parsley and other herbs. Really smells like something you could drink with some grilled fish.
T: Great bright and acidic flavor that has a real melange of herbs to give it a spice and a kick that almost finishes with a sweetness.
D/M: Light, crisp, and refreshing that tickles the tongue. Great beer for the season. I like the creativity.

pzrhsau, Aug 30, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Found this single bottle yesterday at Jerry's Liquor Mart in Somerville. Refrigerated at served in a 0.4 L stange. I deliberately stirred up any yeast in the bottle (little if any) and poured it on top. Beer pours a pale golden yellow color with a respectable white head. Big, spicy aroma of yeasty esters with non-descript hoppy/herby flavors in there too.

Flavor is complex and runs over the palate satisfying all parts. After the assault of carbonation, there's a citrusy pale ale component, followed by another bright/acidic flavor which is definitely herbal but still doesn't taste specifically of parsley, sage, rosemary, or thyme. The backbone of the beer does have a nice barley malt flavor to it, but the aftertaste is dry and not at all annoying. If I had to guess, I'd say the thyme flavor comes across as the hot variety, rather than the "roast chicken" variety, and the rosemary is really tempered, not at all overpowering as it typically can be. The rosemary beer flavor does actually remind me of CBC's Weekapaug Gruit from a few years back.

hreb, Aug 29, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into tulip.

Has a good looking 2-3F of foamy white head, over a chill-hazed golden body. Plenty of carbonation flowing up. Decent lacing.

Like an amazing golf shot, the aromas are uuuseful. Wow. Had sampled this on draft during its Philly Beer Week release event at Victory, and the aromas are no different - bursting with herbal goodness. Sage, parsley, and some mint in the back.

Analagous to the pucker of a good lambic, this one bites you sharply with freshly cut herbs - really cool. Hops are sharp and European. Plenty of lingering grassy flavor.

Mouthfeel is really nice - maybe a bit thin relative to others in the Saison world. Carbonation and flavors cut sharply, with a bone dry finish.

This one ranks high on the drinkability meter, although more than a few might cause some palate fatigue.

BeerImmediately, Aug 28, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

A- hazy golden orangery straw color

S- Extremely herbaceous, with rosemary and parsley coming through on the nose with a slight minty-grass base.

T- Again extremely herbaceous right off the bat. Very refreshing on the palate when it is the mouth. Parsley in the begining that fades into a sweet rosemary finish with lots of resins coating the mouth. I love resiny hops, but here it doesnt work to well with the effects coming from the herbs. The resins affects the mouthfeel score negatively even though the carbonation levels are nice and the finish is approaching the dry side.

Overall- this is a very interesting beer one that I am pleased to try. I will most likely have this again only to sample the differences of each breweries batch.

nas5755, Aug 28, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -6.4%

Picked up from the foodery, sounded interesting...

Poured from the bottle into standard pint glass, slightly hazy gold with white head that laced lightly.

Smell is interesting, herbal, earthy. tough for me to pick out the specific herbs but interesting.

Taste is better as it warms, very atypical for the saison, a little to earthy/vegetal, but the herbs are interesting. A bit of spicy, yeasty flavors as well.

Mouthfeel is good, well balanced, flavors are a bit biting but carbonation is good.

Not quite drinkable enough for a saison, a bit too many odd flavors.

mvanaskie13, Aug 27, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks to shertz for sharing this 12oz poured into a 1/2 pint.

A - lightly hazy golden liquid with frothy white cap and moderate lacing the bead is fine

S - The smell is as promised "hellaciously herbaceous" -The beer smells like an herb garden -lots of basil floral notes and earthy green elements from the blend

M- The feel is one of the least positive parts for me w/ slight resinous and sweet and almost astringent qualities when rolled around the mouth with the sasion yeast's high carbonation doing its best to lighten the feel, but it has a full effect on the palate

T - I love the way the herbs come at you with a mild vegetal, herbed and fresh unprocessed flavor with the effect of chloryphyll in tact it is acidic when combined with the tangy aspects of the belgian yeast. It is like drinking a saison and having a meal together in one. I think this is the best possible treatment if you are gonna go all herbal with a beer, but it doesn't pull any punches either

D - I like herbs as much as anyone, I grow basil and oregano but the drinkability is not extremely high since the herbs dominate and come off as a bit domineering in this ale. I could see one here or there, but not in regular rotation IMO

Slatetank, Aug 26, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -13%

Pours a light golden color. The aromas are of spices (gardeny, peppery, not sure yet) also could be from the hops or yeast.

Taste is dominated by the spices (which are a bunch of cooking spices (sage, rosemary, etc.) according the label. Kinda hard to keep drinking because of the oddness of this beer.

I had an idea mid-way through however. Went to the fridge, grabbed some leftover Chinese noodle and had some dinner with this beer. Made it much more enjoyable to consume with food. A surprising enjoyable brew once married with other food/spice flavors. Not a saison if you ask me but I guess it has to go in some category.

claspada, Aug 25, 2010
1.48/5  rDev -60.7%

My husband and I bought this beer at Dogfish in Rehoboth. We opened it tonight. We first served it in tulips, and then tried half pints.

Appearance: The appearance was yellow with a thick head.

Smell: No one else has mentioned the fact that this beer smells like cat urine. I could also smell thyme and dill, both of which I like very much.

Taste: This my first saison/farmhouse type beer. Although I enjoyed the dill/thyme taste, I could not get over the urine smell when the glass was at my lips. We switched glasses to see if would improve things for me, and it did slightly, but not enough to enjoy drinking this beer.

Mouthfeel: It was a very light beer. I like light beers very much in the summer. If it tasted better, it would be a great summer beer.

Drinkability: I just could not get over the smell. We have seven bottles left, so I am hoping to trade.

guess98224, Aug 24, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

pours a light golden color, minmal foam forms on top
smells earthy like there's been grass sprinkled into the bottle
this has a great light herb taste to it
goes down very smooth, the drinkability of this is really amazing

while i thoroughly enjoyed this beer, it felt a little too light for me and it felt like it was lacking a certain oomph to it.
however, this is really a great beer that I will certainly try again.

BillHaverchuck, Aug 23, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a DFH snifter glass

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a thick white head consisting of a lot of small bubbles. Nice lacing down the glass.

S: A nice aroma of citrus and lemon upfront. The spices hit on back end, and also a grassy component. The spices on the nose come much more obvious as the beer warms.

T: The spices come through on the taste as well, as well as some pepper. There is a very small hop kick, which doesn't surprise me that much being that it is from DFH. Leaves a nice aftertaste.

D/M: Nice carbonation, early on a lot of small bubbles were being released from the bottom. Has a light mouthfeel, and the 6.8% is hidden very well. I had no problem putting this one down, but I don't know how many I would want to drink in one night. Overall, quite enjoyable.

mdaschaf, Aug 23, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

I like Saisons a bit more traditional tasting, but this was pretty good even though it has a few more elements going on. Pours a very slightly hazy gold color with lots of tiny bubbles and a delicate, medium size white head. A bit less than average retention and some lacing.

Aroma was surprising...grassy earthy background but an almost perfume like herbal aroma.

Taste had saison earthy/grassy thing going on, a good bit of lemon zest and a very strong presence of aromatic herbs. I am more of a Hennepin/ Dupont kind of guy with Saisons, but this was pretty good - if different.

Mouthfeel is about right for the style. Right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is average - the herbs are nice in small doses and one to two bottles of this would be very welcome. These flavors would get old given a few of these beers. Definitely a worthwhile experience, but I would prefer a Hennepin when I am in the mood for a Saison.

JayQue, Aug 22, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Pour is really nice looking, and it takes until I smell it to realize it isn't an IPA. It is a bright golden yellow with uncharacteristically perfect clarity. Light visible carbonation rises inside feeding the huge 2 finger fluffy, rocky white head. It fades to a a good, thick skim and leaves behind tons of sticky lacing.

The nose is full of the delicious herbs. The rosemary and thyme are particularly notable. There's a slight hint of citrus complementing the fragrance.

This is definitely a light and refreshing beer. The herbs take center stage again, and the sage definitely becomes more apparent in the taste than in the smell. Rosemary still dominates. The citrusy hops come across brightly bitter, and a light yeastiness adds body. The overall feel is light, effervescent and bright. A perfect summer beer, and really enjoyable with Latin fare. Could drink this all summer.

kels, Aug 20, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

a: Pale golden color with a small finger thick head that remains for about a minute or so.

s: Some typical saison smells: lemon(grass?) and pepper. The sage, thyme, and rosemary aromas are present.

t: Delicious. In essence it is very much a saison but at the same time a good diversion from the standard. Great crisp herbal flavors in this brew. This hides the 6.8% abv very well.

m: Dry, refreshing, and smooth.

d: More please. Thankfully I bought a four pack of this.

Haven't tried the other two of these yet so I can't compare :/

jlenik, Aug 19, 2010