Saison Du BUFF - Dogfish Head Brewery

Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

Plans call for Saison du BUFF to be a 6% alc/vol Saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This beer will be brewed three times, once at each brewery using the same recipe.

(Beer added by: SaCkErZ9 on 08-05-2010)
4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Really good.

I think the best between Victory, and Stone.

I really like the play of the parsley, sage, Rosemary and thyme and the hops. well done!!!

3.24/5  rDev -14.1%

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy golden with tall, long lasting, fluffy white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of funky yeast, bready malt, ripe pears, spices and some herbal hops. Body is medium and crisp. Herbs, spices, funky yeast, bready malt and ripe fruit fill the mouth. Finish is long and spicy. Interesting brew, but too much herbs for me.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head's Saison Du BUFF a couple weeks ago for $2.89 at Cork N Ale. This is my first time seeing this beer around and I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a simple design to it that represents all three brewerys that collaborated on this beer, I think it's just a little eye catching. It poured a cloudy yellow color that took on more of a golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy and slightly bubbly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the Saison yeast being the first to show up and it imparts a typical saison yeast like aroma with just a slight bit of funky wet hay that leads into a peppercorn and grassy aroma. Up next comes a fruity aroma with a nice apricot and lemon aroma seeming to stick out the most and it goes right into the the herbs with them all coming together to make one flavor neither one sticks out the most. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, but the strong saison yeast and strong herbs were a little intense at first.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma, but much lighter and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with some grainy and bready malts being the first to show up and it leads right into some saison yeast which is much lighter than it was in the aroma and it's not nearly as spicy or funky. Up next comes a light fruity flavors that's similar to the fruity aspect that I got in the aroma, but it's much lighter and it's followed by the herbs which are a little lighter than they were in the aroma, but they impart that same mixed herb aspect. On the finish there's a lighter amount if bitterness with a grainy bready, saison yeast, light fruity and herbal aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I was expecting it to be a little more intense like the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, slightly prickly, dry on the finish, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of the style, the herb worked well with it and they weren't overpowering when it came to the taste, but there was nothing about it that really wowed me, i thought it was nice, but it wasn't anything special. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, crisp, slightly prickly, dry on the finish, not too filling and the taste doesn't do the best job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, I don't have any urge to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both good and I thought the aroma was pretty unique and a little intense. What I like the least about this beer was the taste and the drinkability, they held this beer back a little and they could use a little work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I'm glad I tried it, but it isn't something that I feel the need to revisit anytime soon and I can't say I would recommend it as a great Saison. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, the combination of herbs with this saison wasn't bad, but it wasn't something that really wowed me and in the end I wanted a little more out of this beer. It's not my favorite Dogfish Head beer and it's for sure not a favorite of the style. I appreciate the effort it took to make this beer, keep up the solid and unique work.

4.19/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a cloudy, straw/gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of sage, pale malt, hint of hop, hint of sweet malt, hint of yeast, and a hint of rosemary. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong pale malt, yeast, slight rosemary, slight sage, and a hint of sweet malt. Overall, good appearance, aroma, body, and blend. The herbs are easily discernible in both body and aroma, but are not overpowering.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%