Join our email list →

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

American IPA | 6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,719 | Hads: 10,787
4.16/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look - transparent dark golden colour in a glass with a nice frothy white 2 finger head. Carbonation steaming from the bottom of the glass.

Smell - Getting a lot of malt coming through. It's not an overly hoppy aroma that just hits you in the face, but the deeper you smell, it gets very juicy. Smells nicely balanced.

Taste - yup. Just like the smell leads on. A lot maltier than a typical west coast IPA, but the hops are still there in the middle of the palate. I like this style of east coast IPA. For me, it's a perfect balance between hops and malt.

Tasted in a Spiegelau IPA glass from a 12 oz bottle. Look is hazy,with a medium head and thin white lacing. Smell is mild esters, floral hops, citrus fruits with cookie malts and buttery yeast aromas.
Taste is hop oils, juicy citrus and bitter herbs with doughy toasted grains. Feel is medium in body with a dry bitter finish.

3.34/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

1/21/16 Washington DC (16 oz draft pour into standard pint glass at The Laughing Man). Pale blonde, mild carbonation, nominal white quickly dissipating head with minimal lacing.Citrus and lemon and malt aroma. Citrus, malt and grassy sweet taste. Strong texture, nice going down. Not very hoppy. Overall decent offering.

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Clear golden that pours a small, quickly dissipating head. Very light lacing.
Smell: Citrus hop top with a nice malt base. Very subtle grass notes.
Taste: Citrus hops with earthy tones and malt. Definitely some grapefruit and orange notes on the citrus end of things. The malt is sweet. Very nice balance.
Feel: Medium body, medium carbonation. Sharp finish.
Overall: A well balanced IPA that is a wonderful beer. Recommended.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

This is a great IPA, and I'm happy that I can find it in NYC. It is nicely carbonated leaving a good head after the pour. The flavor is spot on, a balanced IPA with nothing weird going on. This brew is definitely worth having over and over again. Well done.

I am admittedly not the biggest fan of DFH. I recall an article in The New Yorker from several years ago wherein Sam Calgione, the DFH founder/brewmaster/guru and Garrett Oliver, brewmaster of Brooklyn Brewery, were interviewed, separately, about their respective businesses and offerings, and Mr. Calgione just came across as an elitist and egomaniac. And some of that hubris shows up in his beers, many of which are just downright weird and silly. No beer on earth should have some of the stuff he throws into the tun. I'm all for experimentation, but there are limits. ... Okay, rant over, onto their best and most simple beer, the 60 Minute IPA. It is one of those rare IPA's that, to my palate, pleases on many levels but still speaks directly to the hophead craving we all get from time to time. It is also equally pleasing in the bottle and on draught. I'm not sure if this is considered their "flagship", but if not, it should be. Restraint and balance were both in command with this one, can't say the same for either the 90- or 120-minute versions, which are, in my view, all out assaults on your salivary glands. 60-minute stands up very nicely to any of the other top-shelf IPA's out there, and it's very wide availability makes it an easy find in my neck of the woods. Recommended.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a bottle, bottled on my birthday, 11/17/15. Look is a translucent, see through golden copper, with a bubbly copper head. Smells kind of like a good smelling cleaner, with a very distant malty resinous undertone. Low alcohol content for the style, at least of the dozen or two I've tried now - I'm used to a bit more, and am not getting buzzed enough on my sixer, haha.

I got a lot of a "kolsch" vibe from this IPA, some of the tones on both the nose and the taste remind me a tad of some kolsches I've tried -- that cleaner-type vibe (faint ammonia?) and certain taste it leaves on the mouth and specifically throat. I don't mean that in a big mean negative way, just hard to point the finger on, I've drank many a six pack of kolsches (Saint Arnold Lawnmower, etc) happily. I am just judging it based on it being an IPA.

That being said, there is something to this beer that sets it apart from others. It has a pretty huge amount of flavor from the moment it hits your pallet, sending like 5 or 10 different malty/lite hoppy flavors your way before it settles on the tone described above. Could use some more hoppiness/IBU or maybe just alcohol haha. I can definitely see the uniqueness and why DFH has built a name for themselves, they are kind of giving me a St. Arnold vibe, a commercial level craft brewer worthy of their large size and influence. (I'm from Texas.) I might have to try a few more to find my favorite though. Maybe the 90 next time? Cheers!

4.56/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The look of this brew out of the bottle is dark golden with a nice white head. Bubbles shooting up the glass like crazy. The smell of this beer is pretty nice, not super potent, but still really good. It's got citrus, maltiness, a little honey, and some juicy smell to it. The taste is great. So balanced in my opinion. Perfectly bitter, piney, juicy and the perfect amount of malt to balance the hops. Mouthfeel is medium and dry finished. Overall, 60 min IPA is great. I will definitely drink this one again.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

A- Deep, golden color. Head was 2 fingers, but died to a fingers worth. Head was bright-white in color. Some carbonation could be seen streaming up from the bottom of the glass. Looks like a classic American IPA for sure.

S- Sweet, biscuty malts. I'm getting citrus hop notes of grapefruit, pineapple, and orange. It's a juicy type smell. There also is a light scent of a dank, oily, hoppiness as well. Very nice and inviting.

T- I get sweet malts and citrusy hop notes right upfront. Again like in the nose, I am getting grapefruit, pineapple, and orange flavors. There's a spicy hope quality as well. I am also picking up a pale, caramel type malty flavor too. Grassy and earthy notes are detected. The finish is fairly on the dry side.

M- The mouthfeel is on the light side of medium. It's not too heavy as far as an IPA is concerned. The beer is very crisp tasting. It is extremely refreshing. There is a bit of a hoppy oily, slickness to the brew. But I think the mouthfeel is good for as far as an IPA is concerned.

Overall this beer is awesome. Even though my overall rating averages to a 3.75/5, I'd give this brew an A average. If you like IPAs and want something very drinkable with a little more abv than a session IPA, this is the beer for you! So much flavor and so easy to drink. There is no wonder why this is such a loved IPA within the craft beer community!

3.52/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Forget the hype of larger numbers, higher percentage, teh more hopziz!

60 is far better a beer than 90.

Aromatic, fresh, herby, bright. Nothing like the musty, raisiny, unidentifiable funk that is 90. Different strokes for different folks.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours a slightly hazy golden with a nice white head.

S: Earthy pine hop nose with some light caramel

T: Piney hop flavor with moderate bitterness. A bit of citrus, some caramel sweetness and graham cracker.

F: Medium light body with medium carbonation. Slick mouth feel.

O: This is a well executed IPA. The bitterness and flavor hops are nicely balanced as is the malt under tones. A beautifully balanced, hop forward ale. Lemon citrus notes fill in a complex flavor profile. It's not a session IPA but it drinks like one. One of my favorite brews.

1.73/5  rDev -57.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Murky, muddled, bitter, quickly dying fizz, this brew always fails to impress me even if I spent years between tasting, but friends seem to like to talk it up. It has a little bit of hoppiness. If it had no label, I wouldn't know the brand, nor would I ask.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

We got this in a Trader Joe's mystery bag as a gift from a friend. Poured from 12 oz. bottle (bottled on 10/06/15) into a tulip glass. Paired with spicy Thai curry. Perfect match!

Look: Beautiful golden color and clear. Small off-white head that persists only at the edges. Great lacing as you drink it.

Smell: Classic IPA hop scents: piney, floral, citrusy. A bit of honey. I love the smell.

Taste: Subtle and not very bitter for an IPA. Nicely balanced, you can actually taste the malt, which I like. Doesn't taste quite as good as it smells, but still very good. The bitterness lingers in the aftertaste and invites you to drink more.

Feel: Medium carbonation, a little thin/watery.

Overall: An awesome, balanced IPA for someone like myself who isn't a hop-head.

from tap in a pint glass, look was medium amber color with a healthy head and good lacing, smell was hoppy straight IPA w no citrus hint, straight IPA, taste followed smell, strong IPA with minimal hints of any citrus and a very straight forward IPA, feel was medium carbonation and medium length hoppy throughout.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Light copper, slight haze and great foam lacing. You can immediately tell this is a well crafted beer. It has a unique flavor for an IPA, definitely taste the piney/resinous hops, but there is a unique bitterness that almost reminds me of bakers chocolate. Hmm. Also love the mouthfeel, would definitely do this one again.

4.14/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Nicely balanced with moderate sweetness and distinctive hops - some of the fruity piney notes of a traditional american ipa but also some more vegetal grassy hops that seemed reminiscent of a pilsner. Pretty moderate bitterness in the finish. A tasty and intriguing IPA even if it doesn't approach my favorites. Bonus points for uniqueness.

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottled on 9/21/15. Poured clear gold with one inch white head. great lacing. Smell is dank, pine, and bready. Taste is similar with citrus as well. Light and not bitter for an ipa. Balanced indeed. Cheers!

3.98/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Smell is a citrus bomb, malt sweetness, and a hint of pine. Taste does not have a lot of bitterness for an IPA, but instead has well-blended citrus and floral notes. Not the most flavorful IPA, but really clean and incredibly drinkable.

4.14/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Pours golden copper in color with nice steady fizz and a great white head. This looks wonderful in the glass.

Some citrus and fruity hops in the aroma. Slightly floral as well.

Juicy, hoppy flavor. Very fresh tasting. Citrus and earthy tasting hops. Not a wild combination of hop flavors involved here, but very flavorful and excellently done.

Perfect body, perfect carbonation, perfect mouthfeel. The head never leaves the glass until the last sip. A well-balanced, truthfully excellent IPA in my opinion.

3.64/5  rDev -10.3%

I dunno. I kinda liked the nose -- it makes you realize what a landmark beer this was, because so many other (subsequent) IPAs smell like it. Vaguely citrusy, sort of freshly herbal -- it just smells like hops + a clean and present maltiness. The bitterness doesn't seem very apparent at first, but it kind of wears on you as you go. And that clean maltiness grows in stature, offering some alcoholic sweetness. Combine that with the bitterness, and it gets a little tough to keep slugging down. I dig what it's done for the growth of the IPA and American craft. But, frankly, it's not something I'd often reach for.

3.51/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours pale copper. Small 1/2 inch head, goes away pretty quick.

Smell is largely underwhelming. Slight malt sweetness and some fruity hops. Much more restrained than I thought it'd be.

Taste is about what the aroma suggested. Malty sweetness, some citrus and juicy hops, low bitterness, and a slight pine way off in the back. Also pretty subdued.

Mouthfeel is light and almost watery for the style. Although refreshing, and very sessionable, I want a bit more body in my ipas.

Overall, I was hoping for more after trying 90 min. Pretty subtle flavors. Would make a great fridge stocker, could pound them anytime, but not something I'd lust after.

4.14/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle poured into pint glass. Pours a somewhat dark golden color with a nice retaining white head. Great lacing.

Smells floral with a small hint of caramel.

Smooth taste with a touch of sweetness, small bitterness and malt.

I enjoy this beer and consider it a great regular. I find a lot of similarities between 60 minute and 90 minute IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours copper with a very wide white foam head with low retention. Smells hoppy and fruity. Taste is bitter but friendly. Overall a great sesionable IPA

Sorry but I rate beers only on taste, This one for me was a 3/5. It's good but that is about it. I think that the 90 min might be better because I did catch myself wanting a little more booze with all the flavor in this beer. It's not busting with flavor but it does have your typical ipa bitterness along with a mild but noticeable citrus which I am not crazy about. I just think it wasn't necessary to put it in there at least not as noticeable as it is. Anyway if you haven't tried this beer then give it a shot but you might be better off with 90 min if you like your flavors with some kick if you know what I mean.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

From 12 bottle into nonic pint glass.

L- pale, clear straw/ orange almost golden color, about a finger of white head. Leaves a white ring cap on beer but very little lacing

A- herbal, earthy, resinous, medicinal hops.

T- taste is the same as aroma with a little malt sweetness. Not much bitterness

M- low carbonation, dryness that makes you want another sip, fairly thin overall

O- I have trouble seeing a 90+ rating. I was wanting to try this beer for awhile and finally got the chance. I'm glad I waited til the second beer to review since I didn't care for it at first. Don't think I'll be buying these too often. East coast IPAs just aren't my thing

60 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery