60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 2,671 | Hads: 10,415

Amazing beer from DFH. Dark golden color with a nice off white head that stuck around longer than I expected. Loved the aroma on this one, lots of hops and grapefruit. The taste was about the same, great. I was surprised to find that it wasn't extremely bitter but had a lot of citrus flavor to it. Obviously one of my favorite beers. (334 characters)

Sorry, just had to comment on this useless snob comment (really what does this add)

"I would call it a good IPA for beginners." Um, no. Thanks for giving away that you drank it out of bottle. Why not just funnel it next time.

For those that care to actually taste it... take the bottle out of the fridge, let sit for 20 minutes. Pour in to GLASS (DUH). Enjoy. Please disregard reviews of IPAs directly from a bottle. Good grief.

This is a full bouquet full flavor IPA, Citrus but with adequate offsetting malt, particularly as proper consumption temperature is reached. Ridiculously clear.

No, I don't work for DFH, but calling it IPA for beginners is dumb. (662 characters)

Smells delicious hits you with a really rich hop smell full of citrus fruits tropical fruits grapefruit and a bit of pine in the back. You can also smell the rich amount of English Barley they use. Taste is like the smell. A lot of malted barley with an amazing balance of citrus, tropical, grapefruit and some piney hops. Somewhat lighter in color than the 90 minute but that is probably because of the way the barley is roasted and the amount thrown in.

Some people say this needs more hops but that is because the balance is unreal and as Sam Calagione says the continually hopping is unique to the style and that it adds more of a hop taste and smell without being too crushingly bitter... It's still bitter though so it definitely won't disappoint hop heads.

You should really just buy it as fresh as you can and let it warm a bit then the hop bitterness comes more into play. I can't wait till I have this on tap one day to taste the difference. I'm drinking a very fresh one though bottled on 9/03/2010 so I'm reviewing it at the peak of it's freshness that you could probably get in the bottle.

All in all Dogfish Head is worth all the hype especially if you know the difference between a craft beer and a fizzy yellow beer. If you know the difference than you would know that this is some really good stuff. Again great job Sam. (1,343 characters)

Rather than state why I love this beer so much, which I obviously do, I'll simply say this: PLEASE BRING IT BACK TO TENNESSEE! Pulling out inventory this summer was a dark day in the state's history. I've struggled to find any IPA that matches Dogfish 60's taste, aroma and overall drinkability. (295 characters)

12oz. Bottle Poured a perfectly clear straw gold with a 1 finger eggshell white head. It diminished slightly to a half finger and got nice and creamy. Looks more like a pilsner than an IPA. A ton of carbonation coming up from all over the glass. The head stuck on here throughout. Stayed nice and creamy. Smells very grassy. This grassy/earthiness is followed by a small touch of citric hops towards the end. The strong grass is slightly off putting but as it warms it mellows and there's more citrus coming forward. As it warms more I can smell the caramel maltines coming through as well. Taste is good. Different than what I thought it'd be from the smell. There's a good hop bite up front followed by a piney bitterness that makes its appearence during the swallow. A very solid malt backbone lasts throughout the drink to balance everything nicely. Every now and then I can pick up some alcohol in my nose and throat. The mouthfeel is good. Medium bodied. Coats the mouth with every sip. Drinkability is up there. It's easy drinking. Good mouthfeel and balanced. (1,067 characters)

Holy mother! This is hands down the best IPA I have ever had the peasure of drinking. While I was not very impressed with the 90 Minute IPA, the 60 Minute IPA is simply superb. Amazing pine hop smell that is possibly the best smelling beer ever. Nice orange creamy pour with a slight head. Beautiful hop taste that I believe is pretty bitter (although others do not find it very bitter). After tasting this, it will be hard to ever find another IPA as good. Also, I NEVER give a beer a 5 all the way around and this one gets it for sure. Perfect beer! (551 characters)

Appearance - Very nice dark golden color, very effervesant (you can tell that it is bottle conditioned), the head sticks around throughout, it looks like a beer should look. 5/5

Smell - The smell of this beer is great, it reminds me of Dale's Pale Ale. You get a lot of nice floral hops and rich malt. 5/5

Taste - The taste follows the smell. It is an exceptional blend of floral and bitter hops with a perfect malty backbone. It is hoppy yet not overwhelming as the hops and malts work in perfect harmony. Rich and smooth, simply incredible. 5/5

Mouthfeel - Very smooth, perfect carbonation from being bottle conditioned. 5/5

Overall - This is what beer should taste like. It is full of flavor yet not overwhelming and smooth enough to drink a few of. Its my new favorite beer. Nearly perfect. 5/5

PS - I have read where a lot of people enjoy the 90 minute better than this beer yet I found this one much more tasty. The 90 minute is much thicker and malt forward, it comes off almost too sweet. The 60 minute is perfectly balanced and actually tastes like an IPA. (1,070 characters)

Living on the West Coast, IPA's are king. Unfortunately, the majority of IPA's here do nothing but destroy the palate, leaving people unable to enjoy what lies beneath the hops. This beer does an exemplary job of allowing you to taste everything the beer has to offer without drowning you with hops. One of the few IPA's that can be drank as an everyday beer (or session beer as it's called). (395 characters)

I think this is my favorite IPA so far!! That is saying a lot! The pour was great highly carbonated nice 1 inch lace, smell is of citrus notes out of this world The taste I will say nothing I will let it speak for itself. Mouthfeel is WOW!! Overall please try this brew if you can it is amazing!!!:) (299 characters)

I thought I knew may favorite IPA then I discovered Dogfish head 60 minute IPA. I first had it on draft and I was surprised at the perfect balance of bitterness and floral notes with a modest ABV% for an IPA of course. It is a everyday IPA that is my new go to beer when I'm in the mood to just drink some beer! This high hop concoction is the perfect pairing with spicy food. (376 characters)

This is the baseline standard by which I measure all other IPAs. Amazing hop flavor without being too citrus or too sweet. The perfect IPA and one of the few beers I award a perfect "5". Will drink any time, any place. (218 characters)

poured into a pint glass from a bottle. bottled on 2/19/13 and poured on 3/30/13

A- hard pour produces 4 full fingers of bubbly white head. the body is a clean golden orange with lot of visible carbonation. the head retains quite heavily. Lacing is medium-heavy.

S- Wow, what an herbal hop smell! it smells like fresh hop vines. It's very pungent and intoxicating. Taking a deep inhale produces a euphoric feeling.

T- it's perfect. it's a hop bomb from heaven that washes away and leaves just enough lingering to make you come back for more. it's a great blend of citrus and herbal, while still maintaining a nice balance of sticky malt sweetness.

M- medium-light bodied, a good bite from the carbonation, and very dry.

O- AMEN! MY FAVORITE IPA TO DATE HAS RISEN! I love bell's two hearted. summit's saga ipa is in my heart forever. stone's ipa is amazing. but NOTHING has hit me like this one the first glass. It's an herbal aroma, which is such a change up. I'm a little burned out on citrus. The flavor blends, from citrus, to herbal, to malty sweetness. It's sessionable in the ABV and mouthfeel. I'm happy to call this my favorite IPA. Cheers. (1,155 characters)

Dogfish head makes great beers, but I must say they nailed it with their IPAs. Over all I enjoyed everything about this beer.

A: This brew has a creamy white head that will start at about an quarter of an inch and decrease to about half that. As I drank this brew, the head would stick to the glass, and become almost sticky. The brew itself is a nice deep amber color with a nice amount of carbonated bubbles.

S: The smell is what you would expect from an IPA, with a nice hoppy aroma. It gives off a nice citrusy, and grassy aroma that balances with the flavor very well.

T: The over all taste is what sets this IPA apart from the rest, much like its bigger brothers this is a well balanced brew. Not too bitter, the hops seem to be balanced well allowing this IPA to be a great started for anyone venturing into the IPA world.

Overall this is one of the greats, I recommend this beer for anyone including those who tend to stray from IPAs. I recommend pulling a bottle out and letting it sit on the counter for 15 - 30 minutes, pour into a glass at room temperature and enjoy. For about $10 - $12 bucks for a six pack you cant go wrong. This is a perfect beer for beginner craft beer drinkers. (1,204 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

Have a 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: hazy yellow with a nice thick head and good lacing.

Smell: Heavy Hops with a citrus and a hint of pine. Smells delicious!

Taste: A strong but smooth hoppy bite. I can taste some citrus and piney tones. If you are a hophead this is on top of the list!

Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth, and some moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Excellent session beer that is not too heavy on the alcohol only 6%. One of the best IPAs that I have every had. I drink it all of the time!

Comments: A fine beer! (553 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

This is the beer I have had out of a bottle to date. The color of this beer was nice rich amber color with a nice white head. The head lasted about 1/3 of the beer. The smell was a floral hoppy aroma that was just about perfect for an IPA.

The taste was a nice bitter hop flavor that balanced with a nice malty background. This beer was all about tasting the hops and it accomplished this nicely. The mouthfeel was the perfect thickness for an IPA, very smooth.

Overall a great beer and the best beer I have haed out of a bottle. Only bummer is that it is not easily found in california, but that's what UPS is for. If you see this, try it you won't be dissappointed. (673 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

If you love IPAs, this is a must have. Lighter then the 90 min IPA, and less potent then both the 90 min and the 120 min, this is a wonderful start into the world of Dogfish Head beers... which happen to be one of my favorite. Once you have had this one, make sure to hit up the 90 min IPA as well! (298 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

12 oz bottle into Barilla spaghetti sauce jar.

A: Beautiful light amber with 3 finger white head that dissipates to nice big bubbled film and a good collar. Lacing is also very nice all up and down the jar.

S: Smokey spicy hoppiness! Orange-cloverish.

T: Orange-clover mellow-smoky spicy hoppiness. yum!

M: preat-a-near-perfect son.

D: Very nice guzzler-face. yes!!! (371 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

i just need to say that dogfish 60 minute fresh from clean taps in the tall dogfish pilsner glass is damn near epiphany so piney and full of resinous hop as close to perfection as i have ever experienced in a beer... the appearance, nose, mouthfeel, taste, and overall drinkability is tits... that is all, no joking, TITS!

a- golden, glowing with a reddish middle, tight head that beautifully sits atop my beer the whole way through

n- hop, pine, citrus bready goodness, great stewed fruity pineforesty depth to this one

t- this is what makes me an ipa drinker, such resiny cannabis hoppiness, so refreshing, a sweet fruity elixer, i don't even notice i've finished my first, i'm already enjoying a second!

m- great beer, thirst quenching, medium bodied beer... slightly aggressive carbonation (probably the only fault in this beer- however slight)

o- a top 10 beer for me when served fresh and out of a proper tap into a proper glass, great affordability, and availablity really worthy of go-to status... rockstar (1,020 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

Excellent Beer. No conditioning sting. Yellow with orange tinge (reflected color.) Foaming head quickly dissapating. Somewhat pine aroma. Dry smoked oak flavor. Wonderfully hopped, beautifully bitter! This is how beer SHOULD taste! I cannot wait to get my hands on the other higly hopped IPAs... (295 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +21.4%

a: Great amber color and clear

s: Hoppy! Some pine but mostly grapefruit and citrus

t: medium body, crisp. Starts off a little sweet and then the hops hit with that great grapefruit taste. As it warms it becomes a little more balanced.

m: crisp

d: easy to drink. great

great session beer. if you want something a little more balanced go to stone ipa (which is great as well). This is just perfect for me though! (421 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

Presentation - 12 oz. bottle that proclaims "the continually-hopped, bottle-conditioned India Pale Ale"

Appearence - Hazy orangish-amber hue with medium white head. Frothy lace hangs to the glass as you drink.

Aroma - Smacks of citrusy hops

Mouthfeel - light carbonation bite, slightly slick medium bodied feel.

Taste - slight malty sweetness that blends well behind a powerful citrusy hop precense - I always burp hops afterwards. Turns rather bitter (in a good way, IMO) at the end and leaves a bitter, clean taste that fills the back of your throat, mouth, and lips. I should add that there is something distinctly DFH about the hops in this IPA which I think sets it apart from all others - a sort of deeper, fruity/earthy taste that is unique to the DFH line. I can't adequately describe it, but try for yourself to see.

Drinkability - Unless you are averse to hops and a bit of bitterness, then the moderate alcohol and medium body make this a great session beer which goes down easily.

Final Words: From my description, this may seem kind of bland, but I promise you that this a great tasting brew. The first sip of every bottle immediately relaxes my whole body and mind. I think that it sets itself apart from other APA's and A-IPA's because of its full flavor and great balance. Not as intense as its 90- and 120-min cousins (or other bigger IPA's, for that matter) but an extremely well balanced, very hoppy, exceedingly enjoyable beer. I have to say that this is one of my all time favorites from my favorite style, and it's THE beer that got me into 'good' beer. Lacks the creativity of other DFH offerings, but is otherwise a pinnacle of microbrewery success. (1,691 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

Wow Wee! Many have attempted, and many have fell short. This brew is something special - 60min of one succulent hop being kicked around like a soccer ball. Simply delicious and nutty on the aroma. Some may pass it up and just say... "It's ok, a little too hoppy for me" - and that when I'm still taking a sniff and taking twice, who wants to get naughty with this brew? Nobody! Now - mind you, I've had it on tap at the Brewery in Rehobeth Beach and at the brewery in Milton, DE. Bottles are great! Draft will make you begging for more. Enjoy! (543 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

One of my favorite beers.

Appearance.- Light amber, clear, white head, good retention.

Smell.- Really hoppy.

Taste.- Malt precent, nice buttering not overpowering.

Mouthfeel.- Well carbonated, easy drinking.

Overall.- Love it!

Better if the bottle is fresh. (263 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

This is my favorite beer of all time. It has a rich deep copper color, nice thick head. The smell...heaven. It smells like resiny hops and to me coffee hints on a nice rich roast. First taste was amazing. Malty coffee, big hops but not too bitter. rich hop flavor is amazing. the only thing better than this beer, is to roll hops around in your mouth. Mouthfeel is heavy, but sooo drinkable. great effort once again dogfish head. (429 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

from a bottle to a pint glass

A - lovely gold color, 1 finger head, good retention and lacing

S - to die for. notes of apple and pineapple, hops, very slight alcohol in the background

T - hoppy all the way through, with a rollercoaster of different shades of hop bitterness, leaves a spicy malt finish that lingers. lots of happy "ahhhh!"-ing after each sip

M - well carbonated, medium bodied, sticks around and keeps the hop bite coming

D - perfect to sit back and sip on for 20+ minutes and just relax

one of my favorites. still probably won't top Goose Island as my favorite IPA, but this is undoubtedly a strong second (628 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last