Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,700 | Hads: 10,587
1.58/5  rDev -61.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Thought I was drinking coffee seriously when I buy beer I want it to taste like a beer it smelt like I was in a star bucks very grainy in my mouth disgusting after taste that wont go away, way over priced.

One positive note my wife thought it smelt yummy. (she hates the smell of real beer)

1.76/5  rDev -56.7%

Bottled 1/15/11

Appearance - Extreme clarity and golden color ( basically the same color as miller high life). Surprising for an IPA, looks more like a pilsner. No head at first. Second pour was more vigorous and created a head. Very nice lacing as I drink, but that's the only strong point.

Smell - peachy smell, slightly grassy. Aroma is very weak.

Taste - bitterness upfront. hops backed by slight burnt rubber taste. the more i drink, the less I enjoy the beer. Imagine slimy aluminum/wet towel taste. I wish I could describe it more precisely.
Long-lasting and unpleasant after-taste, which worsens as you empty your glass. If you've experienced a "gusher bug", you will know the taste I'm talking about.

Either 1) my taste buds are off tonight, 2) this beer is no good or 3) I have a bad bottle.

Mouthfeel - thin beer, thin head, feels quite dry.

Drinkability - Blech! It will be painful to go through this 6-pack.

In fairness, I cracked open a second bottle because I was so surprised at how bad this one was. This is my first time drinking it. The second one was a better, but my taste buds are annihilated so I am unable to review it. And yes, I am familiar enough with IPAs. While not a strict hop-head by any means, I do love me some hops. I am currently even growing 5 kinds of hops!

1.82/5  rDev -55.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

A--Sparkling gold with one finger of white head that recedes pretty quickly and leaves almost no lacing

S--Bread, faint hops, and uh oh...cigarette ashes. Why do I smell cigarette ashes? Or is that burnt cheese? Either way, it does not smell good. I'm already suspecting I have a bad bottle

T--Yep, cigarette ashes. This tastes nothing like an IPA. This has to be a bad bottle, at least I hope so. But after just "finishing" a disgusting 2009 Aprihop, my confidence in Dogfish Head is not very high right now. I'm going to continue this review and if in the future I drink it again and it is good then I will update it.

M--Just fine

D--Drain pour

I need to go break open a bottle of 90 min. to renew my confidence in this brewery. But they are 0 for 2 tonight.

1.85/5  rDev -54.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I guess I really don't Like ipa's very much look was avarage smell very strange Taste goes with smell really weird like pine needles and o.e. haha mouthfull let's just say no

Sorry just can't see what people like about this beer besides the bottle

1.96/5  rDev -51.7%

This beer pours a sparkling gold with 1 finger head and lasting lace. The aroma is of grapefruit, lemon, and dough. The flavor has caramel and sweet malt notes with grapefruit and a mild hoppy bitterness. As it warms it all fades except the bitterness which leaves a mild aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light-medium. Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA is a decent brew, recommended.

2.02/5  rDev -50.2%

Appearance: Got this one in a trade with ludachris, thanks man. Came in a cyan and olive bottle with a picture of what I assume is a dogfish on it. Cloudy gold/yellow color that poured with a finger of head that laces decently and retains quite well. However, the beer itself also seems to have some carbonation issues at first glance as I'm not see very much of it.

Smell: Overpowering smell of citrus hops on this one which isn't surprising given the style, however it's way out of control. A lot of dry, hay like smell mixed with mild pine needles too. The strength is perfect, and it's not unpleasant but this is setting alarms off in my head that this beer is going to be way too dry and bitter.

Taste: Well my predictions via the smell were correct. It starts with a hay like flavor and then turns to a slight touch of grapefruit near the middle that is annihilated by the bitterness till the end by a taste I can only describe as dry hops mixed with burnt, dried pine needles. WAY too bitter for my tastes, and the only reason I don't grade it lower, is because I'm to understand a large amount of bitterness is normal for the style.

Mouthfeel: Leaves a god awful bitter aftertaste that leaves the mouth as dry as a bone. It's carbonation is surprisingly decent, but the problem is in only serves to enhance the terrible taste. Also, it is abundantly clear that this beer has a high alcohol content. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact I'm not catching any sort of chemical flavor, I'd rate this a 1.

Drinkability: Well I find the taste and the feeling it leaves in my mouth to hamstring it's drinkability. It's carbonation makes it lack smoothness, and it's dryness doesn't make you feel refreshed at all. Thankfully it is decent on the gut, but that's not saying much. I can't finish this beer, which is always a bad sign.

<Edit: After 10 minutes after drinking, I got a vicious case of gut rot, making this my first 1 score in the field of drinkability>

Final Thoughts: Having never had a IPA outside of Alexander Keith's (which I know isn't a good example of the style) I thought I'd give this stuff a try. If this is an A- beer for the style, then this style must not be for me. I drain poured this at the halfway mark it was so god awful. The only redeeming quality is the smell, and there is more to a beer then a nice aroma. There is no balance to this beer, the bitter and dry nature is out of control. It's very rare I have a beer that completely puts me off of a style, but this stuff does it. I'm more inclined to try another Japanese style beer sooner then another IPA because of this beer. Stay away unless you thrive on dry bitterness.

2.03/5  rDev -50%

Recently revisited this Ale, after a fairly long layoff. Pours ok, the nose is a chocolate stout, bitter coffee, decent head. A very strange nose. the first hit on the taste buds is coffee, ending bitter like an IPA should. Half way thru the head is completely gone, no lacing at all, it looks like it's been sitting overnight, and went stale. After living off other IPA's , definitely a dissappointing brew. Advertised as a cask ale. I'll pass on this one in the future, the heavy coffee influence is definitely a turn off.

2.16/5  rDev -46.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

The packaging looks cheap and plain. It has a very Spartan appearance.

The smell upon opening is one of molasses and moldy hay. So far, not too bad.

Unfortunately, this is the worst beer I've ever tasted, hands down. To be fair, I'm not much of a fan of IPAs. This is by far the most extreme hoppiness I've tasted in any brew, including IPAs. It's akin to taking a swig from a bottle of orange bitters. It's overpowering and disgustingly bitter. When I managed to taste anything but hops, there were traces of metal and burnt molasses, not pleasant at all.

This beer is completely overrated IMHO.

2.23/5  rDev -45.1%

Pours a three-fingered white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Cloudy amber color. Very hoppy nose. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Nothing like the 90 & 120 minute IPAs Dogfish has, this is a 'normal' IPA that is loaded with hops - hopheads line up for this one. $2.00 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, Ma.

2.28/5  rDev -43.8%

I've had this one a few times now and I have to say its not a favorite by any means, probably because I'm not a fan of unbalanced hoppy beers, ie standard IPAs that being said heres what I got overall.

Sight: Deeper yellow in color than that of an every day lager perhaps a bit orange.

Scent: Very large amounts of citrus on the nose, particularly grapefruit as well as soap and possibly fresh cut grass or some form of vegetation.

Taste: Not as bitter as a few other IPA's I have had before, like the nose suggests the flavor offers citrusy fruit flavors such as Grapefruit, lemon/lime, Soap, Grass, and rice.

Feel: Very silky oily even which is cut only by the bitterness on the tongue.

Drinkability: Personally I wouldn't have more than one of these at a time, If That.

2.29/5  rDev -43.6%

Poured into a mug resulted in a slightly hazy gold color with two fingers of frothy white head. Very grainy scent. Taste is also grainy, with some subdued hoppy flavors and minor bitterness. Somewhat watery and left a weird, unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth.

Received this as a gift from a friend who came to visit. This and other items I received from other brewers had a bottled data of February. Everything else I have tried has been fine, but this one is below average, odd given the overall average score here.

2.36/5  rDev -41.9%

Among the most macro-looking of DFH beers, its foamy cap is its most impressive appearance feature. The beer is totally translucent and, even for an IPA, it looks watery. Let's face it--I got into beer advocacy and reviewing brews for the likes of 120 and Fort--not for relative weenies like this. Still, I'll keep in mind that this isn't trying to be those. For the most part, it's an average-looking beverage.

I don't really like the smell. It's oddly malty. It is an IPA, right? That's the same style as a Two-Hearted or a Green Flash West Coast. I suppose Two-Hearted more commonly squares up against 90min, but this here 60min doesn't offer up much in the way of odors. I smell more malty backbone than hoppy body and, for an IPA, that's subpar.

The taste is more like the smell than the look. It actually tastes malty. There's not that much to it. Other than a simmered-down ABV, why would you drink this instead of 90min? Besides, if you need to or want to tone it down, have a macro lager...or a pilsner. Though I love DFH and embrace their adventurous appeal to extremists (I'm enjoying this one out of my purchased DFH glassware), this single offering would leave me unimpressed with a brewery I know to be remarkable. It's really carbonated and more sweet than hoppy. It's homogenous and uniform-tasting throughout but, unfortunately, it's blah.

Mouthfeel is the best part of an otherwise "okay" beer. The malty sweetness and big brewery type of carbonation let this one tickle the tongue and cheeks. The aftertaste, however, leaves something to desire...like hop. I'm not always looking for a hop monster to rip my teeth apart when I reach for an IPA, but I do expect to feel some hop goodness. I don't, really. Though I like the citrusy touch more characteristic of West Coasters (and Two-Hearted), I don't always have to have that either. With the 60min, I'm nevertheless looking for something that's simply not here. Not only is it not a great beer, it's not a good beer. Even within a beer collection that includes something for everyone, there's no place for this 60min IPA.

2.36/5  rDev -41.9%

Reviewed on 7/26/08. On tap at the Peculier Pub. Pours a clear gold/orange with a thick white head that left nice lacing. Aroma of dull citrus, pine, grassy hops. Flavor is an odd pine bitterness, pepper. Very watery palate. I don't know if this was a bad tap line...but this was gross and not enjoyable.

Update 8/3/2008: Had this in a bottle, bottled 7/10/08 so I know it's fresh. Ugh, the same super bitter, nasty hops with no malt backbone. Near undrinkable for me. Wow, what an overrated beer.
6/4/5/2/10 (2.7/5)

2.38/5  rDev -41.4%

Serving Size is a standard 12fl.oz bottle

Appearance: Pours a clear golden yellow w/ a very slight head. Leaves some lacework behind

Smell: hops w/ a touch of malt sweetness

Taste: Crisp w/ an immediate taste of grapefruit?! Goes from sweet to sour and just gets a little more sour

Mouthfeel: A little rough at times on the palate

Drinkability: Worth a try but I don't care for the Grapefruit like taste

I'm just not a fan of this drink like others are. Maybe I'm not a fan of IPA's in general....that being said this drink is somewhat enjoyable and goes down pretty well, I just don't like the taste I get which makes me shy away from the drink. I'll try the 90minute and give it a shot

2.4/5  rDev -40.9%

Before I start I should say I'm trying to find a bottled on date because I suspect this may not be the freshest. Pours clear and copper with thick, 2 finger, white head. Smell is terrible. I do get some intense piney/spruce hops and touch of caramel, I'm overwhelmed by a skunky smell. I really cant put my finger on it, but its not nice. Taste wasnt bad, but again I hope this was a bad batch. It had some nice hop bitterness, with a touch of citrus, and it had a good malt backbone, more of a dryer malt. But still, something just a little off. Mouthfeel was fine, but a less than appealing aftertaste left behind. Overall not the best. I bought a 6 pack and took me about 10 days to drink all of them, trust me...thats not normal. I kept a bottle to see if I can find a freshness date and will certainly re-review if I did get a bad bottle.

2.41/5  rDev -40.6%

A - Mostly clear yellow/copper with a almost white head.

S - Hops? Not citrus or grapefruit as expected. Mostly earthy with cat piss.

T - Blech! As the smell....the taste is an offputting earthy cat pee. Not getting any citrus/grapefruit....no pine....no herbal notes...nothing I look for in an IPA.

M - Ok...but flavor is just too objectionable.

O - Once again; DFH continues to disappoint. I really want to find something of theirs that I like as I feel rather lonely as one of the few who just dislikes their stuff. But; my palate is the judge and does not deceive me. This was just not enjoyable at all. I dumped it halfway through and opted for a Goose Island IPA instead, to satisfy my IPA fix.

2.44/5  rDev -39.9%

Tasted this one along with several IPA's at once, including the 90 minute and Brooklyn Breweries IPA. This one came in a distant last place in my book.

Color was a straw with little to no head and hardly noticeable bubbles.

Aroma - Astringent aroma. I'm sure there's a kinder word for it but the aroma reminded me of cat pee. I'm sure it was just super hoppy, not bad or anything. But, of the beers I was sniffing, I liked this one least.

Taste - Bitter, bitter and more bitter. Dry. I'll admit, I think I'm more sensitive to bitter than some reviewers, so there is some bias there. But this one seemed unbalanced to me. Nothing but bitterness assaulting my taste buds. As I continued to drink I become desensitized to the bitterness and was able to enjoy it a bit, but why subject yourself to half a beer of lemon pucker face, when there are other, better balanced options available?

Mouthfeel - light feeling with very few bubbles.

I love some of Dogfish Head's (90 minute) other offerings, but this one is not for me.

2.45/5  rDev -39.7%

I have heard rumors of DFH beers being tainted between batchs and taking on a huge coffee flavor and aroma and this was my first experience:

Appearance: Beautiful dark caramelly crystal clear body with huge foamy head with great lacing.

Smell: Smells like old dunkin donuts coffee with stale milk. THis is the off batch.

Taste: Tastes like it smells with little to no hop bite.

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation as i would expect from the appearance. Light on the palate density wise.

Drinkability: Not for me. I have had this in the past and it was fantastic. This was an off batch for sure.

2.53/5  rDev -37.7%

It poured a nice medium dark yellow with not a lot of foam. The smell is what warned me of what was to come. The aroma was like smelling a bunch of pitch on a pine tree. I had this kind of beer before. First taste told me that I had a heavy tasting pine tree. The first and last taste of this beer was like I was chewing on pine needles and pitch, combined. The second sip never reached my mouth, instead it was poured down the drain!

2.54/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

If you are looking for an IPA that is more on the mellow side versus other IPAs this one is for you. I like my IPAs strong with a big, hoppy bite and a pungent nose. This IPA is good but not great. Kind of bland in the context of IPAs.

2.55/5  rDev -37.2%

poured from 12oz bottle into tumbler pint.

appearance is an average aipa. golden in color with small head, minimal lacing. smells of strong bitter hops and tastes of it too. also notes of pine on the tongue. mouthfeel is average, had to knock off a half a point due to the strong bitterness and strength of the hops. maybe i need to have another one at a different time and edit my review but imo this was not a very well balanced aipa. i prefer the 90 min over this. still not bad if you prefer the hoppier/ bitter side of aipa's.

2.56/5  rDev -36.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into oversized wine glass. Bottled 11/21/06.

A: Orange/amber color little head and very little lacing.

S: Sulfur...WTF? Maybe its bad. Mild hops.

T: Little bit o' hops but really just bitter. No malt at all.

M: Thin, carbonated and watery. Very carbonated and prickly.

D: Whatever...it's not that bad but it's not really good.

Unimpressive...can't wait to try the 90 minute.

2.56/5  rDev -36.9%

12oz bottle poured into a Bell's tulip... Pours a clear copper with a nice bright white head. Good retention and lacing but the head itself looks like a weird slimey plastic cap... The aroma is exceedingly malty, way way way too sweet. Whopper malt, bread, caramel a touch of pine on the finish... The taste is equally malty and totally off for an ipa. Light grapefruit with a weird malt metal finish. If I didn't see the server pour the beer, no way in the world I would have none this was an ipa.

This is not an ipa, whatever style it is, not worth drinking.

2.57/5  rDev -36.7%

"The continually hopped" IPA was left at my house by Big, so I thought I'd give it a quick review.

It looks like Budweiser, only a little darker. No head, no lacing. Boring.

Smells hoppy. I'll admit, hoppier beers are growing on me. I've never been a fan, but I may be turning into one. This one may be a bit too hoppy for me, and I can tell that by the smell.

Tastes okay. Too hoppy for me personally, but there's another taste in there that's alright. Still, it's a bit too bitter.

Mouthfeel isn't impressive to me. It's way too carbonated to the point where it stings the tongue.

I'll pass on this next time. I hear a lot about this beer, and I am guessing it gets high marks from others on this site (I don't read ratings before reviewing), but it seems like a lot of hype to me.

2.6/5  rDev -36%

Based on the other reviews on this one, I figured this would be really good. It's not.

Poured into a pint glass from the bottle. No head... as in Zero. Color looks like a darker ginger ale (the soda). No body to it. Mouthfeel is like water. And what's with the strange metallic flavor? Tastes like the copper on the cap seeped into the bottle.

Not impressed. Not a fan.

Did I just get a bad bottle?

60 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery