60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,348 | Reviews: 2,750
4.64/5  rDev +13.4%

60 Minute pours a sparkling golden amber, with a dense, bright white cap. Sticky lace trails in erratic smears and chunks on the glass , leaving little floating on the beer.
The aroma is sharp and floral- a victory garden and freshly squeezed OJ - sugary malt is in the background, but not un-noticed. Intensly hoppy but somhow balanced aromas invites the alpha acid lover in for more.
Flavors of soft doughy malt up front fade and blend into amazing and complex hop flavors on all levels. The aroma plays a big role in the flavor of this beer as you can pick out and match the aromas and flavors that flood your senses.
Very mellow, medium mouth feel support the hop dominance and while slightly on the thin side, provides exceptional balance and drinkability. Bitterness throughout and in the finish are less than I expected and allows the lingering hop flavors to be enjoyed instead of being over powered as in many more heavily bittered IPA's.
Outstanding example of the style, with a Dogfish Head twist. A great beer for those looking to really tastes hop flavors.

4.59/5  rDev +12.2%

This has been on draft via Randall the Enamel Animal for quite some time now at Bling Tiger, and I have to say, it has been my "finishing" beer on more than one occaison.
There should probably be a separate category for this when it is served via Randall, because the fresh hops really makes a difference that can't be duplicated any other way.
The appearance is dark golden honey, with an average head and nice, sticky lacing. This beer smells phenomenal -- especially if you're a hop head. This must be what it's like to take a bath in hop oil-infused water. When you drink this puppy, the hops are omnipresent, but I don't find them to be completely overwhelming like so many other attempts at strong IPAs. The plentiful malt backbone really stands up to its acidic foe and takes it like a man. I taste pinenuts, orange doughnut, rosemary, and a very floral profile. I appreciate good IPAs, but I am not a hophead. As such, the long, lingering bitterness that haunts you after many over-the-top IPAs is not appealing to me. But this -- this I could drink all night.

3.22/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a dark straw-yellow color with a nice head. Aroma was hoppy and pleasant but somewhat subdued. Not overpowering. The taste was less than stellar. All I could taste were the hops, and I didnt find them pleasant. Very similar flavor profile to a SNPA, which I dont care for either. If you it, you will like this one too. Other than the taste, this beer was fine. Its not a bad taste, it just doesnt sit well with me. I traded a Stone IPA for the DFH and I lost in the deal. Not a bad beer, but not one I will go out of the way to buy.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

This is a solid IPA. Had this one on tap at the Moan and Dove, great place by the way. Good foamy head, which laces ALL the way down the glass, very snowflakey, very nice. Smells citrusy, lots of hops, lots of pizazz. Taste is very hoppy as expected. So many hops that it tastes bitter, which I think is what DFH might have been going for and is what makes this beer more unique than the average IPA. Mouthfeel; this tastes like a dry wine or something of the sort, almost feel like I need a glass of water after this one. Very interesting indeed. This beer is a standard IPA, very drinkable, but with an intriguing extra bitter/dry kick.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Straw golden body with low carbonation, looks very much like a lager actually. Head is big and rocky medium sized bubbles, off-white, great clumps of lace and good retention.
The nose is hops, hops and more hops. A muscular spiced bitterness daring you to taste it.
This is one hell of a hoppy brew, delivers everything the smell promises. Hops so strong and powerful without being over the top. Malts are floating on top of the hops like the surf on a wild ocean, only way I know how to put it. Really a beer that can easily stand on it's own. Big presence, big smell and taste. Hay, grass, citrus and subdued and weak banana/pear. Very good lingering aftertaste dominated again by the hops.
Mouthfeel is excellently rough and textured, some coating.
Very good drinkability.
This is a brew that needs help from noone, I cant really think of anything this would go well with as it demands all your attention.

-Oelergud

3.72/5  rDev -9%

Pours a murky orange with chunks floating in it. Foamy, rocky head, just a bit of lace. Clean, grassy citrus smell. Taste is surprisingly not all that hoppy, just a bit of bitterness, but there's a honeyish sweetness to it-not bad, but not what I'm looking for in an IPA.

Overall, not a bad beer, but not something I'd drive to Wisconsin for again...

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours honey apricot-amber type gold hue with a quick 1 finger head settling down to a brush of foam within seconds. This one leaves a very nice lace on the glass especially for a bottled beer.

Smell is honey and malty and clean --almost ocean-like maybe a bit salty.

The taste is strong hops with some berries, fruit and malt. This one is hoppier than the Shelter pale ale they make and I still like this one better. It just tastes fresher. The mouthfeel is dry and salty but excellent.

Drinakbility is the one weakness. I am just not that much of a hop-head although Dogfish head is one of the better hoppy tasting beers readily available to me. Maybe I could have more than a couple - I don't know and I am not gonna try --at least tonight.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Found a slew of DFH beers in Boulder at Liquor Mart on my way back to Utah, so I decided to smuggle some in...

Pours a lightly hazed orange-copper with a puffy, fibrous off-white head.

Smell is big. As soon as the cap came off, the hop oils started attacking my olfactory center. Resinous cannabis (Columbus hops?) smells come strong, with whiffs of fir sap and citrus peel. Since I've evolved into a hop head, I've come to love smells like this.

The taste is, as expected, very hop-oriented. Starts off with a flash of sugary malt, letting you know this actually was brewed using some barley. The resinous hops come in strong and stay strong into the citrus-bitter finish. I picked up some lingering patches of sweet malt as well. A nice IPA, although the hop taste was on the verge of being only two-dimensional.

Mouthfeel is sticky, medium-large bodied. I would drink this more often if it was available in either MN, or UT!

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours dark amber with a big ol' puffy head. This'll get your mouth watering before you even smell it...

...and when you do, DANG. I hate to use a fey adjective like "pretty" to describe a beer, but this smells awfully pretty. If a girl's hair smelled like this, you'd fall in love with her instantly. The hops are evident in the nose, but it mostly smells flowery and citrusy. You'll want to spend a little time here before taking a sip.

And when you do, again, wow. Mucho hops, but balanced nicely with a malty/fruity finish.

Mouthfeel: I'll say the same thing that Linda Lovelace probably said about John Holmes- very thick and satisfying in the mouth.

This has such a strong and distinctive taste that I think you'd burn out on it if you drank more than a few at a sitting. But gaw-damn, this is a great beer. One of my absolute favorite IPAs.

4.59/5  rDev +12.2%

On tap 8/24/04 at Buffalo Wing Factory in Sterling, VA.

Clear golden color with a lower off-white head and decent lace. Who wrung out the wethops in my pint glass ?!? Huge fresh citrusy grapefruit hop aroma !! Nice hoppy taste without being too bitter -- decent balance for the amount of hops involved... Medium bodied and smooth with a pleasant bitter finish.

OK OK Maybe now I see why this one is so highly regarded now that I have had the draft version ... Much much better than the bottled version !!

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

Sam Caligione is a genius when it comes to IPA's and hops
Although this beer isn't a monster IPA, it is by far one of the better ones offered in this area after a much anticipated arrival.
Served "Randallized" this beers appearance is a burnt- orange color topped with very a small amount of creamy white head that quickly disappeared.
The aromas are citrusy and sweet. The floral aroma of the hops kicks in as you put the glass to your lips. (oh my the hops). Cascade and Amarillo hops make a fine marriage in this beer and are not overpowering even with the randall hopping process applied.
The flavors are carmel and apricot followed by a dry bite of hops.
The finish is hoppy and dry without a lingering oily taste.
I was very impressed with the "Randall" and this beer, and look forward to trying it bottled as soon as I can find some and pick it up.

4.46/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Before I start, let me preface this by stating this draft sample was served through a newly-installed Randall, so this may differ from the bottled or standard-draft version. Will compare/contrast when I have the chance.

Pours a clear, orange amber, light with a thin to nonexistant head. Wonderful, bright, bright fresh hops aroma right on top; floral, herbal, fresh-cut grass but not enough to be off-putting.

Taste is rather thin and light for the style but with the same fresh, herbal taste present in the aroma. I expected a palate-raping experience from the effect of the Randall but instead its effect was subtle, more in the aroma than in the taste. Pale malt, gentile hops, very drinkable. Finish is back-of-throat dry.

Light mouthfeel, flavors the breath with hops. Immediate massive hops burps even with a small sample. Easily quaffable, the effect of the Randall is obvious and appreciated. A welcome departure from some of the overwhelming West Coast hop monsters.

I finally got around to tasting the last of the DFH "minutes". This is quite different than the higher octane versions, but it does restore my faith in DFH ales that aren't trying to be different ( the seemingly normal Shelter Pale Ale is a disaster)

Appearance: A bright copper color with abundant carbonation and a lacy white foam head of about an inch. Classic.

Smell: A very strong scent of hops with some citrus.

Taste: A very good IPA in my book. This had a dry malt base that stood up well to the hopfest that is this beer. Hops hops and more hops give a fruity, piney, flavorful taste and an alluring crispness in the finish. Not as sweet as some other IPAs, but not as bitter either. A nice middle ground IPA with distinguished hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Decent, the amount of carbonation gives this a lively feel, not overdone.

Drinkability: Good. I could have a couple and still not have my pallete shot to pieces. Nice middle of the road ABV, and a solid all around beer from one of my favorite breweries.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

12 oz. bottle that pours a reddish-golden color with a nice head that goes down to fine whitel lacing that remains present on side of glass. Aroma is of a pleasant hop with a slight floral scent. Taste has much more hoppiness then in aroma. Bitterness is present throughout taste especially coming through on the short crisp finish. Mouthful is that of an easy drinking beer.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

On tap at Fat Heads.

Fantastic hoppy aroma.

Crisp, spicy flavor that lingers longer than some double IPAs.

Deep amber color.

Very good lacing.

This beer has a lot of flavor while only having a 6% ABV content.

It has a decent mouthfeel and is not overly filling.

4.37/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a beautiful golden amber with a nice big head from the 12oz bottle. The 1 inch head sticks around awhile. Smells of hops....pine and citrus scents come through. The first sip is all hops and damn is it good. Not too bitter and it even leaves a nice aftertaste. This is one of the first proper American IPA's I've tried and I like it alot. I'm a big fan of the hops and this brew definetly delivers. I'm excited to try the 90 and 120 minute versions after all I've read on here. Overall, this is a great brew....one I will look forward to coming back to in the future.

4.07/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a light copper color with a thick and long lasting slightly amber head.

Aroma is all about the hops, very fresh- slightly citrusy, slightly resiny- like a powerful perfume. There’s also a hint of caramel.

Full bodied with plenty of residual sugar and caramel to support all those hops, and the perfect touch of bitterness.

This beer is extremely well put together though I would hesitate to classify it as a session beer.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours deep, golden-orange with a nice two finger head. Nose is filled with hints of sweet hops and malt. The nose is a little deceiving when it comes to the hops, because the first taste is filled with that great hop flavor. As the beer began to warm caramel and citrus flavors filled the glass. The beer had a long, nicely bitter finish with strong flavors of grapefruits. An excellent beer.

4.54/5  rDev +11%

The beer pours a briliant hazy golden color with two fingers of head that stick around after the initial pour, which is nice to see. The sweet hop in the nose is just beautiful. It is grapefruit and floral that makes me want to just sit and smell the beer. I can't wait to try this beer. A bit of a let down in my book. The hop in the nose is not given justice by the hop in the flavor. The flavor has a nice grapefruit sweetness from the hop and malt, but there is just a bit of weakness in the bitters. I want them to stay on my tongue longer than they do. The beer is moderate to thick in my mouth with a moderate carbonation that just nicely dances on my tongue. As IPA's go, this one is very drinkable, but I would like the bitter to stay on my tongue more and make me pause a bit between sips to clear that feeling. Overall, this is a good offering. I would pick it up again, but I am also looking forward to trying the 90 minure again after not having it in 3 years. I think that will be more to my liking.

Edit: I think the flavor is not as weak as I thought last time I had it. I think the flavor renders this one very drinkable. The bitter hits hard upfront, but then fades, but doesn't completely die. This is a fine beer

3.71/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Don't believe the hype? I first tasted this beer a few years ago and reviewed it under my old profile. I find myself tasting it again and approaching it at another angle.

With so many hoppy beers on the market these days, the east coast breweries have not asserted themselves with their IBUs the way west coast brewers have.

As a result, I found this beer to be not as balanced! That right, I think their 90 minute IPA is actually more balanced than the 60. There's too much malt and not enough hops in the 60.

Overall, the taste is good... no oxidation, no dms, low to no diacytel. I do think the body of the beer is a little heavy to go with the current hop levels...

I give it slightly lower scores for the appearance because the bottle says it is bottle conditioned. Quick question... where's the yeast? Is this false advertising? I bought a six-pack and the first two bottles have absolutely no yeast in them. The beers are perfectly clear and I swirled the remaining 1/6th of the beer and added it to my glass. Nothing. What's up with that?

2.23/5  rDev -45.5%

Pours a three-fingered white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Cloudy amber color. Very hoppy nose. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Nothing like the 90 & 120 minute IPAs Dogfish has, this is a 'normal' IPA that is loaded with hops - hopheads line up for this one. $2.00 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, Ma.

4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

Oh yeah, been waiting to try this one forever. Packaging is a twelve oz bottle with a cool, minimalist design. Packaged on date on the side indicates this one is pretty fresh.

Pours out into a classic vision of the style. TONS of carbonation bubbles roll up and form an ample, sticky looking, big-bubbled off white head. The body is a murky tangerine-orange color and continues to be very active with lots of carbonation through-out. Head-retention is nice, and keeps a nice cap of foam on the brew most of the way through.

The smell…juicy with fruity-hop aromas but there is a swelling of sweet malts there to accompany it very nicely. The hops come to me mainly as juicy citrus and apricot aromas…very inviting.

Well, if the hops were a bit subdued in the aroma, they make their big show in the taste. Although a nice sweet, sticky wave of malt dominates the front it is completely taken over by a beautiful fresh hop flavor. I’m almost getting a candy-sweet flavor in the middle, and a hint of yeasty nuttiness where the malts merge with the hops across my palate, it’s lovely. It’s spicy through-out and especially in the finish. Obligatory big citrus hop flavors in the finish as well. I can’t taste the alcohol in this one at all but I can feel it ever so slightly in my belly. The mouthfeel is medium, and hints at sticky at points...which in this instance, is a good thing.

I really, really enjoy this IPA, it did not let me down one bit and I had high hopes for it. Big and hoppy, but with subtle nuances as well. Now, can’t wait to try the other IPAs from DFH. Big ups jlervine for swinging through with this one!

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

On the hand pump at The Drafting Room in Springhouse, PA on August 4, 2004. Cludy, tawny orange pour with awesome cakelike head. Tons of sticky lace and head retention while this one goes back.

Soft grassy hops, piney, less sharp than the bottled version. Dry lasting lingered finish.

Flavors are just overall juicy hops with sweet smoothness that lead to a great feel and exceptional drinkability. Extra smooth and hoppy.

Last swigs: Great smooth cask conditioned gentle hop perfection. Our founding fathers would be proud.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

3.3/5  rDev -19.3%

20 oz imperial pint in a tradition english pint glass

beer arrived suprisingly clear and light amber with very thin head that fairly quickly faded to virtually nothing, but I've never seen a beer with such little head leave such a large amount of lacing all the way down.

Smell was pretty typical IPA hoppy with strong citrus doiminating and a hint of pine and alcohol underneath.

Taste was good. Nicely hoppy and dry, but there was a sharpness to the finish that I just didn't care for.

very good, but not one of the all time greats.

4.19/5  rDev +2.4%

Draught pours a clear golden copper color with a pretty short-lived light beige head. Medium to lower carbonation. There's a depth in the hop aroma that encompasses a grassy, botanical type aroma as well as some good, crystally homegrown. (Sorry for the non-beer suggestion, but hops are a genus cousin to marijuana, and the recognition is purely objective) Malt profile's a bit biscuity and sweet, but the dryness of the hop counterbalance this. It's wonderfully carfted, and a refreshing change of pace as opposed to other U.S. brewed IPAs. Unique hop profile that makes it wholly enjoyable in the American IPA style, it stands out.

60 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery