Microbrew Invitational

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American IPA

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002

Reviews: 2,748 | Ratings: 10,959
4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: I poured this beer at the same rate I'd pour any beer into a glass but this beer behaved differently... so differently that there was almost an accident. The head built so quickly that before I knew it, I had only poured a third of the bottle and the head was at the top of the glass. Many BAs describe the size of the head with their fingers - In this case, it would've made more sense to measure the size of the beer, which appeared to be a side-effect of the head. The creamy, beige head was five fingers easy and very dense. It barely broke down but as it did, it began to look and feel like egg whites when they reach the "stiff peaks" stage. It was so bizarre. Its texture also resembled the top of a rootbeer float a bit too. The small amount of beer in the glass was a cloudy light amber color.

Smell and taste: As expected, this beer announced its all-hop bouquet right off the bat and with force. A blast of citrus, huge tangerine, some orange and grapefruit with a background aroma of grass and hay. Sometimes, I detected a slightly skunky characteristic (maybe from the yeast in the bottle?) in my nose and mouth. As I chewed through the mountainous head to get to the beer, things at first, tasted citrusy and spicy, maybe a little peppery. Towards the end of the taste, an ever-so-slight bitter tang was left on my tongue that begged me to drink more. As I finished the bottle and the beer had a chance to warm, other flavors began to expose themselves - mellow caramel malts, a sulfur taste I experienced more than a couple of times and oddly enough, something berry-like grabbed me right before I finished the entire beer (this confused me).

Mouthfeel and drinkability: It's medium-bodied and very carbonated (hence the massive head I suppose). The slightly higher ABV is barely noticeable. Nonetheless, this is a complex and exciting beer; It's captivating, like a great beer should be, and entirely drinkable. Had I had another I would've poured it immediately. It was so much fun to drink.

Note: This beer really surprised me. I'm not normally a hop-head, but for this beer, I found myself becoming one. This is a really unique beer and everyone should try it at least once. In fact, it left two other beers I tried later on the same night, tasting completely bland, and these were malty, bigger beers.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

I understand why this beer exists. I really do. And it is well crafted, with a fantastic looking pour, complete with fluffy, sticky mousse and deep amber color. But it's not "beer" nearly as much as it is hop infusion. And they are good hops, ambling the complete range from stern, pig iron bitterness to the most delicate, resiny mint aromatics. Pine, lemon, grapefruit, pot and sap are the only flavors in this "beer" and whatever malt component is there is strictly contributing body - not flavor. And as for yeast? Forget it. Any nuance of peppery, zesty fruit is obliterated by the hop extracts. The yeast contributed alcohol - nothing more.

Perhaps it's a love-it-or-hate-it beer. Then this must be a wishy-washy review. But I can't get away from the very negative answers to several of my usual quality questions: How much imagination did this require? How classic is it - how many generations of beer drinkers have endorsed it? Is it complex? Is there drama? Does it change as it is consumed? Is the last drink better than the first?

I'm afraid in years to come we will look back on this recipe as a caricature, a fad. It is a good demonstration of one important beer ingredient - but not "beer" itself; no more than pepper is steak au poivre nor more than pepperoni is pizza.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

I’d always been partial to the 90-minute version of DFH, but recent posts on this beer, made me come back to it. It pours clear gold to orange with a thick, rich white head. Small champagne bubbles rise from the bottom to renew the head, which settles pleasantly as a lace. The nose is amazing on this beer. It’s like putting your face in a pile of hops. Rich floral/grass/pine aromas rise from the glass. Just a hint of grapefruit too. The taste is an explosion of hop taste. A tongue awakening of flower, pine, and grapefruit, a mild sweetness comes from the malt. This has a very slick mouth feel, and seems very drinkable. I’m glad I picked up this 6 pack.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

This beer pours a golden orange with a nice foamy head. The lacing is quite intricate. The nose is all hops, with hints of caramel and sweet malt. The taste is all hops. It is hard to taste the malts that peek through in the nose. The beer is really good but one-dimensional. I would like to taste the malts a little more. The mouthfeel is a bit oily but still smooth and refreshing. The drinkability is great. I enjoy this IPA.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

One inch of dense, cream-colored foam tops the hazy, dark orange-amber liquid. There are some dark floaties in there buttressing the bottle conditioning claim. Lots of 'M's of lacing, like geese in shopping mall landscapes. Huge citrus/pine hops in the nose, some nuts below. The hops are reflected in the front, with pepper, nuts and grapefruit. A foamy middle is milky, and quite sweet. Delicious, fresh hops and tangy, ripe fruit in the finish. This is really, really tasty. A nice, sweet cream complements the fresh, bitter hops. Just a great, fresh, juicy, tasty IPA.

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

This beer pours a copper hue with a medium sized white head that diminishes a little too quickly. The smell is very weak, maybe my nose is stuffed or something. Anyways, the aroma is really lacking which is weird considering how nice the 90 min smells. The taste has a nice hop consistency and hop complexity. Flavoring hops and bittering hops are both there. The flavored hops are mostly floral in taste. Malt seems a bit weak to me, there could definitely be some more malt here. The finish is very dry except for a pine needle hop flavor that lingers. All in all a good IPA, but there are better out there imo.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Very clear. A light golden color with a slight tint of green??? Small, white bubbles. Head dissipates rather quickly. Smell is piney. You can really tell the hops are plentiful.

Light body, but not too light. Taste starts and ends with more hops than I have tasted in other IPA’s. Dry finish.

I have got to say this is one of my favorite American IPA’s. The flavor is more intense than any light bodied IPA I have ever had. A very good session beer, but at 6% ABV be careful. Thank you Dogfish Head!

Edit: Since this review, I still love this beer but have had others that are just as good if not better. Again, still a fave, but not what I once thought it was...

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Had this beer for the first time at the 2004 Vermont Brewers Festival. Best beer I had that day.

Pours with a golden body and light, thin head with all sorts of lace. The aroma is a nice blend of flowers and pine pitch, stronger than most IPAs without having any of the unpleasant "cough syrup" notes. Taste-wise, this beer is chock full of hops, but the hops comes through in an extraordinarily smooth manner, with some nice floral tastes, a soft bite, and a nice dry finish. My new benchmark for an IPA.

3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

This beer is really enjoyable. I picked up a sixer for 8 bucks alittle steep but worth it. After reading other reviews I decided to try it for myself. It had a great cloudy tanish color and the smell was nice. Light hoppiness and a smooth white head. The flavors in my mouth were refreshing and light in comparison to some other IPA's. At 6% abv it has a kick after a few. Nice all around flavor though not a very over powering aftertaste. I realy like that feirce hop bight and this beer was lacking it. Overall it is a good IPA enjoyable and drinkable. Next time I think I am going for the 120 Min IPA.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

As I poured this one out I could immediatey notice the piney citrusy aroma. I prefer the citusy smell though. It had a nice color and foam.
This one tasted a little different from your typical I.P.A. There was'nt alot of oak or citrus aroma or flavor. I really liked it. It was different. Which is a good thing I think.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

Had this one at the Dogfish Head Brewing and Eats in Rehoboth Beach, DE. Excellent beer, I must say. I already gave the bottled version a raving review, but, on-tap, wow. Better than the bottle.

Pours a light golden amber color with a small head, about one finger. The Belgian lace is all over the glass in a beautiful pattern. The aroma was somewhat piney from the abundance of hops. The taste is like pine and mint, reminds me of a good gin. I like the extra hops, but this one, the hops are blended perfectly as not to overwhelm the drinker.

Damn fine beer and my favorite IPA. Dogfish rocks.

Poured a deep amber, slightly hazy with a generous sand coloured head of medium hold and better-than-average cling. A fine rise of smallish CO2 bubbles vigorously made their way to the cap of foam to feed it. Pleasing to the eyes.

The aromas: What can one say but saturation of hops. Fresh resiny, peppery hops dominate the aromas and leave but little room for the faint notes of citrus and orchard fruits that rose up as the beer gained in temperature. There is some complexity but you have to work at getting there... more reward in the end.

In the pie hole it goes: Powerful hops and then a balancing malt followed by soft caramel mingling with a rather passive lemon/lime combo. A long and oily bitterness lingers on the palate for what seems like years. As the beer warms, the malt makes another more remarkable appearance and lends the beer some complexity and harmony.

Another powerful offering from Dogfishead (I think they have shares in american hops companies). Really big and boisterous brew that can't leave you indifferent.

4.77/5  rDev +17.5%

My wife and I both had a pint of this beer on a lazy summer afternoon at The Taphouse Grill in Norfolk (Ghent). Originally we were going to have Racer5, but they were all out. On a whim I asked the bartender if they had anything on cask, and whenI found out they had Dogfish 60, I couldn't resist! By the way, this is my first experience with cask conditioned beers.

Poured a hazy (very hazy) orange/yellow color with a frothy white head. Nice lacing the whole way down.

This beer gave off a grassy, faint aroma. Nothing overwhelming here. (this is a good thing, to me). I think I spent a few minutes actually just looking at this beer. It looked extremely beautiful.

First sip: WOW. This beer was served somewhat warm (Im guessing this is how cask beer is served), and this only intensified what I was tasting out of this beer. I was initially expecting a huge hop presence, as I have been drinking fairly hoppy IPA's as of late. Not the case here. Everything was balanced exceptionally. Nice creamy malts, and sweet hops came through...lemon, but not overbearing, some faint grapefruit flavors, a little bit of grass, tapering off with a very, very buttery finish. Lasting flavors are sustained in the back of the tongue and throat. This beer just stays on the palate, long after each sip. The mouthfeel of this beer was incredible!

This beer was a masterpiece. It seems like this beer has benifited a lot from the cask conditioning. It just seemed so very round and mellow. I've enjoyed 60 minute from the bottle before, and I think it is a stellar brew anyways, but the cask version is simply amazing.

I will definately be seeking this beer out again. Oh yeah...the price for each pint of this glorious nectar? $3.50. Can't beat that!

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance:

Light Brown with little head.

Smell:

Hops, but I can detect some malt characteristics.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Wow! By far the best IPA I've ever sampled(pre Stone IPA). This beer manages to perfectly blend the sweet malts and bitter hops together into a wonderful flavor. Most IPA's I've had overwhelm you with the hops, which I don't care for. This is a masterpiece!!!

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%

a great brew from a great brewery. pours out an amber color with a 1" fuffy sticky white head. smell is hoppilicious with some citrus notes. Taste is awesome. one of the better ipas that i have had the pleasure of tasting. again very hoppy with some grapefruit in the back. slightly bitter aftertaste. great mouthfeel. I could drink these babies all night long. badass ipa.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Was able to finally grab this brew at Mahars last night. The brew poured to an orange color with a nice white head that lasted for a while and broke down to a small amount of lacing. The aromas from this brew were very nice, a lot of citrus aromas that where highlighted with orange, grapefruit and then some floral tones. The taste mostly revolves around the hoppyness of the brew but you can notice enough of a malt flavor. The flavors scream hop compared to everything else going on, not the hoppiest IPA (AIPA) out there but is a fantastic representation. This is simply a very good beer and one that I am happy to have finally tried. Will be looking for this one again and hope to try it on tap soon.

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%

Presentation: 12oz. bottle poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Hazy gold. Pours with decent head and retention. A nice lacing coats the glass.

Smell: Floral, citric hops and bready malt.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Citric, herbal hops coupled with a mild biscuity malt. The finish is very dry and hoppy.

Overall: An all-around good American IPA. Recommended.

4.19/5  rDev +3.2%

rustic brown, clear as a bell. 1/4" of ivory foam settles to a thin and bubbly topping. sticky patches of lace coat the glass. massive floral hop aroma with citric and sweet malty undertones...smells like a freshly-mowed field of hops, if there was such a thing. light to medium bodied, even carbonation, nice crispness. surprising amount of sticky malt sweetness with notes of vanilla and brown sugar appear first, followed by blast of pungent floral hop flavor. muted bitterness. manages to finsih dry with hints of orange peels. certianly quaffable.

wow, i'm impressed. i don't know if this was a fresh keg or what, but this one seemed light years better than i remember the bottled version being. imagine 90 minute without the solvent alcohol vapors and overload of sticky sweetness and barbaric hopiness, and this is what you have. balanced, with an original twist on the ipa flavor. excellent.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

A glowing, "light" orange appearance. Almost a rust-like look.
Bright white 1" head that kept it's retention longer than expected. Very nice, spider-web like lacing.

Strong hop aroma, packed with a citrus, grapefruit nose.

The taste of this American I.P.A. is like biting into an exotic, island fruit. Extremely juicy tasting; had me looking for pulp in my glass. Nice hints of floral aromatics in the aftertaste.

For a hophead the strength of the hops and the flavors that they provide is heavenly, but not overpowering. Newbie's beware: if you're not use to a really flavorful I.P.A., this may scare you away from the style.

Very palatable! Crisp and not heavy at all. Wonderfully refreshing especially on a warm summer afternoon.

I guess there was no surprises that this was very hoppy, hugey piney/lychee/citrus characters. Malts aren't as evident as the hops...no surprises. Malts were nutty, lightly sticky. Lovely full flavour, rich, intense and with a dry bitter finish. Really well made and really tasty. classy, well made.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown long neck w/ a 'packed in' month notched-out.

The first pour yielded a nice clear orange color w/ lots of fine bubbles racing upward creating a 1/2 inch or so white head that had staying power.

The hops shot-out with their fresh and leafy splendor - almost minty. Fresh, Fresh, Fresh glorious hops!

Beautiful balance of whole, crisp hops flavor backed by a just enough doughy malt to even things out. The hop character stands firm, without being too bitter-dry. Not the hoppiest of IPA's, but definitely one of the most balanced and refined. Outstanding freshness (again)!

Mouthfeel is silky, soft, creamy and a touch oily. Carbonation is fine and quite active which gives it's medium body livliness.

I could honesty drink more than my share of this fine ale. It doesn't build on the tastebuds and become astringent like a lot of heafty IPA's out there.

Overall an outstanding IPA. With this category becoming saturated and somewhat predictable through the years, Dogfish finds a way to keep this ale unique and interesting. One of my favorite US hand crafted (bottled) IPA's to date.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours out a cloudy orange color with a small head. One of the more cloudy IPA's I've seen yet. I could smell the beer as I was pouring it and expected a huge aroma, but when I put my nose up to it, it was suprisingly subtle. Very citrusy aroma, with a hint of fruit (some orange, peach, and grapefruit were present). Real smooth tasting. Slightly bitter, but well-balanced and not overpowering. This beer goes down very easily for a decently-strong IPA. Definitely recommended.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Another very solid IPA (I love this style of beer).

This one pours out to a dark gold to almost light orange in the glass with a decent head and lively carbonation. The aroma is straight grapefruit. The taste is where this one shines, with the hops hitting your tastebuds hard but giving way to a residual sweetness of the malt that compliments rather than fights the hop bitterness.

A session IPA easy. Its nice to see Dogfish Head products now available in Michigan.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

This is an interesting beer. Based upon what I had read about it, I thought the hop aroma would be more prominent, but it wasn't. It reminded me more of citrus and a touch of cinnamon, with a light hop background. As it breathed, however, the hops became more pronounced.

The head was light and creamy, and left nice lace rings around the glass as I drank it. The bitterness came to the fore upon sipping, in a very good way. It was a nice, hoppy flavor, and yet quite smooth. A very good beer, and one I would have no problem drinking again. Good for sitting around the house and snacking on nachos or bagel bites.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

Pours a nice golden color, with a tight, white head on top. The aroma of this beer promises hops, and that promise is kept.

The flavor is strongly of hops, with just enough malt backbone to keep you from puckering up. The bitterness gets up in your face and says hello in a clean-finishing sort of way.

I typically prefer a larger malt backbone on an IPA, but the bitterness is so clean on this beer that I don't really miss it. It's refreshing. It'd easily go well with a snack or a pizza, and one could knock a few of these back with unconscious ease. It satisfies the hop craving without getting in the way. Every once in a while, while drinking it, you stop and think, "This is a good beer."

60 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery