60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
johlendorf

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

DFH was one of the breweries that got me started. Time to show some respect with a review.

A = Clear amber. Thin white head dissipates quickly.

S = Smokey hops. Deceivingly light considering the flavor.

T = Strong citrus hops. Bites. Huge fresh hop flavor. Clean finish.

M & D = Clean. Not too much carbonation, but nice. Just right for a 6% but not especially drinkable.

Love it. DFH is readily available on the east coast.

03-06-2009 23:22:50 | More by johlendorf
jnn4v

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Had this on draft at the Old Brogue in Great Falls. I've had this beer many times before, but never took the time to rate it. It's a great beer overall, especially if you're in the mood for a hoppy kick in the teeth. Here goes.

A: Copper, light tan color. Maybe a bit golden. Clear without haze or sediment.

S: Had some good floral scents with hints of grapefruit, pineapple, and pine. However, after a few minutes I started noticing something that reminded me of peat or an Islay scotch, which is disconcerting for an IPA.

T: Clean bitterness. Crisp. Not as much of the fruit or citrus as I had initially smelled or than I had hoped for (or that they had hopped for?). However, the pine was still there (although nothing crazy like Sierra's Torpedo). Just general dry hop bitterness more than anything else. Very little malt or alcohol taste.

M: Good medium bodied, clean IPA. Nothing particularly noteworthy here other than it's good.

D: Above average drinkability. Moderate ABV, clean, clear, not too terribly unbalanced, although it definitely leans more towards hop character than anything else.

03-05-2009 20:53:07 | More by jnn4v
strangemusic

British Columbia (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

I'm going to re-review this beer, I've had quite a few of them since my first opinion on it, and I said then that I thought it was a grower: I can certainly confirm that suspicion now. I found it initially a bit of a strange beast, especially in the aroma, but it seems to have found its niche with me. I'm still impressed with the drinkability of this beer, it's clean and refreshing and I can knock a couple of them back with ease. Something about the smell and taste turned me off in my first review, but the clean, fresh hoppiness of this beer has become something I can certainly live with. It's not astonishing, but if I can get it I will certainly drink it, ideally without taking it too seriously. I still want to try the 90 Minute though!

03-04-2009 04:15:03 | More by strangemusic
jkendrick

Colorado

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

A: Very golden and clear, almost no orange as one would expect from an IPA. Pillowy white head with minimal lacing

S: Some piney hops but very malty for an IPA

MF: medium body with prickly carbonation

T: For an IPA, the hops take a backseat to the malt. It is kind of biscuity and hops flavors are difficult to identify.

D: Very astringent and palette killing despite not having the very present hops flavors I enjoy. Very strange for such a drinking experience to come from an IPA with such subdued hops. The malt does balance the aftertaste.

03-03-2009 16:09:22 | More by jkendrick
Beejay

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Clear, golden amber. Nice white head on top. This is what beer looks like in commercials.

S: Not the onslaught of hops that I thought. Very nice.. Almost a biscuit scent to it... with a little bitter kick from the hops.

T: Oh my. I am not an IPA person, but this is without a doubt the best IPA I have tried in a long long time.. Nice, not too bitter, with a nice malty kinda bread like taste. Clean and very refreshing..

M: Clean with a good bit of carbonation, leaves a little bit of a coating in your mouth

D: I could see buying a few sixers of this, which was a great surprise considering I am not a fan on the style. But this is very very good. The IPA for people who don't like IPA...

03-02-2009 02:48:36 | More by Beejay
robclark19

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

This is a non-standard review; but I think it makes a good point.

This is the beer that got me into good beer. One day I got a wild hair up my ass and bought a 6-pack of this one summer, years ago. I never enjoyed a bud light since then.

I feel lucky that this was my first voyage into microbrewing, because it is a phenomenal beer. I've come a long way since I bought that first 6 pack, but it is still the standard for me. This is the best ~6% IPA on the market. No IPA matches it's drinkability while still being complex and aggressive. If you are a veteran of IPA's this offering might seem underwhelming, but in my opinion it is the definition of the style. If you don't like the 60m IPA then you will never like IPA.

03-01-2009 23:11:28 | More by robclark19
beermanWV

West Virginia

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance-
Slightly cloudy with moderate head retention.

Smell-
Hops with some citrus scents. The hops predominate, but you do not get the strong hop aromas as many other IPAs.

Taste and mouthfeel-
Nice crisp hop taste that lingers. I was expecting a stronger hop presence. The taste of hops varies as you drink the beer, instead of one constant hop bomb.

Drinkability-
Very drinkable. I could drink many of these in one sitting. Good for hot summer days outside, or good for anytime inside.

A solid IPA, but not the best out there. If you have the choice between 60 minute, and 90 minute, go for 90 minute.

03-01-2009 22:50:01 | More by beermanWV
mempath

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

a-pours a bright, deep amber with a huge head that diminishes very slowly, leaving a consistent, spare lacing. foam stays thick in the center

s-grassy, hoppy (loving) punch to the olfactory sense...smells like it might be intense and made only for the hop-head in you (whether you like it or not). two minutes later, something cerealish and malty stakes its claim.

t-another world class IPA for sure! very balanced attack of signature hoppiness (what else) and some hybrid bitter-sweetness i really want to explore (kind of like the cayenne-butterscotch sense i get in many a good bourbon or rye whiskey). PAs and IPAs are unmistakable...and are similar in characteristics. the hard part is discerning the many differences, quite subtle. this is just as astounding as good ole SNevada PA...but they control completely different domains of the known universe. this really informs me that i need to educate myself on the characteristics of different hops, how they are used, when they are thrown in, how often, how much...

m-somehow i am dumbstruck. i can't untangle the taste from the mouthfeel. it was a seamless experience from the first sip. this is a first. even though a layer of foam lingers at the top half way down the british pint glass, i get thick cereal and that continuous palate-to-olfactory oscillation of hoppy ambience with unexpected, generously given stabs of bitterness. whew!

d-i'd session this, easily...but i would like to slalom and session this and two other PA/IPAs...just to train the tasting apparatus to hone in on the subtle differences. out of nowhere, i can see this making friends with manchego cheese and walnuts. but for now i am content to knock this out as it is. congrats DFH, again. i hope the 90 minute proves as astounding. or moreso...

03-01-2009 16:01:07 | More by mempath
OzarkElmo

Missouri

2.8/5  rDev -31.5%

Feb 28, 2009
Bottled on 12-11-08. Pour into Stella glass. Slight head diminishing to very thin head. Clear medium amber color. Okay, this aroma is not like I've encountered in my recent foray into APAs and IPAs. I do not like the smell! Yeasty to me. More "woody" aroma and bitter taste than the Libery Ale, Odell, Goose Island and Bridgeport IPAs. It gets better with each taste, but overall give me the other ones anyday. I read where someone said only get it on tap, that if bottled it gets bad - well this one is 2 1/2 months from bottled date, maybe that has something to do with my experience. Purchased room temperature from a store one week ago and it has bee in 38-40 degree fridge temperature since. I'd like to give a better rating, as I do enjoy beer, but this one is at the bottom of the category for me at this time. Maybe next time...Okay, let's move on to next time - a week later. Even worse - hated drinking it. If anyone reads this and works for the Delaware brewery, send me some stuff to change my mind or get the hell out of business. Sorry, but what a waste of my hard-earned $$$

03-01-2009 02:55:46 | More by OzarkElmo
dukedevil0

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Single 12oz from Famous Liquors in Lombard, IL.

A: Pours a see-through light amber color with a little bit of white head

S: Muted scents of sweet, earthy hops and some pine.

T: Tastes just like it smells...sweet hops and pine

M: Light and thin, but not far off from what an IPA should be

D: totally easy to drink, with no alcohol perceived, solid flavor, etc

03-01-2009 01:41:23 | More by dukedevil0
Yesac

Georgia

3.3/5  rDev -19.3%

A - Cyrstal clear pale yellow/amber in color. Medium bright white head.

S - Weak yeast smell.

T - Suddle malt and yeast taste.

M - Very thin bodied not much aftertaste.

D - Easy to drink, as its thin and un-complex. However the taste just isn't there.

02-28-2009 23:09:00 | More by Yesac
jeffsala

12oz bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip Glass.

A - Somewhat clear amber in color. The Duvel Glass encourages a lasting head, but it quickly faded.

S - Wonderful hops with notes of citrus.

T - My favorite characteristic of a IPA is the dry finish that makes you want to drink more. This IPA doesn't disappoint in that regard.

M - This beer leaves a pleasant hop aftertaste.

D - This is a very good IPA, but I don't think its great.

I had a much better example at this beer at the Gaithersburg MD, Dogfish Head Restaurant (they don't brew there). My favorite was a hand mixed version of the 60 min and 90 min that I thought was outstanding.

02-28-2009 00:47:52 | More by jeffsala
Prostman81

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

I'm going to try out all the DFH beers, and had to start with this one. Picked up a sixer of 12oz bottles.

Nice color, a little darker than I expected but still totally fine. Definitely has more of a malt thing going on here. Smell has a nice balance of malt & hops, but leaning more towards malt.

Taste is smooth. Just what you'd expect from a PA, but with more character due to the extra hops. A great session beer, I had finished 3 of these before I even knew it. This has made me very eager to try the DFH 90. I think this would also be great as an intro for someone curious about the IPA style.

02-27-2009 18:15:43 | More by Prostman81
bowersdm

3.18/5  rDev -22.2%

12oz bottle poured into a bavarian pilsner.

A - amber with 3cm of white head.

S - hops and only hops: notes of grapefruit, pineapple, and pine. the smell is pretty floral too.

T - hops and only hops: the same as above, except the beer has a substantial bitterness that I don't find enjoyable. I partially enjoy the flavor of hops, just not the bitterness.

M - pretty good. it's an IPA, so I don't expect it to be an ooze.

D - definitely not my favorite IPA. it's too bitter for my tastes.

02-27-2009 06:59:55 | More by bowersdm
TMB0424

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a crystal clear golden straw body with a one inch fizzy white head. Holds up for awhile, leaving sticky lacing everywhere when it finally starts to disappear.

Smell is a little weak - oily, citrus hops are there but it's not very strong at all. Grapefruit, orange peel, pine. I'm also getting a hint of a cinnamon aroma, which seems a little out of place.

Piney, citrusy hops dominate the taste with hints of lemon juice, orange peel, and pink grapefruit. It's balanced pretty well by a bready malt backbone and some sweetness. Strong hops don't go overboard, though.

Mouthfeel is good - it's crisp as anything - but it did feel a little watery. Very refreshing, great carbonation. Extremely drinkable with the lower ABV. A great beer to either sit and enjoy or to session with, in my opinion.

02-25-2009 14:16:00 | More by TMB0424
itcomesnpints

3.68/5  rDev -10%

Lacy, golden translucence.

Smells funky, with an almost complete lack of hop aroma. Budweiser comes to mind.

Taste is luckily much better than the smell. Nice and bitter. Some citrus.

Nice carbonation. Dry and crisp.

Easy to drink this one but the disappointing smell keeps this IPA well below the top tier.

02-25-2009 00:57:08 | More by itcomesnpints
timtim

District of Columbia

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

really enough has been said about this beer for everyone to get the idea. the only thing i'd like to note is that out of the bottle, this beer really only tastes great for a few days after bottling. it seems to go downhill very quickly after that. from a well maintained and clean tap line and served at the proper temperature, this is really an outstanding beer. in my opinion, worth it on tap and a pleasure every time, but the bottle imbiber should beware.

02-24-2009 01:01:46 | More by timtim
Beertarded

3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

After drinking the 90 minute a few weeks before, I was really looking forward for this. And frankly it was a bit of a let down.

It poured a nice crystal clear amber color with an attractive all white head, and it smelled like a great hoppy IPA -- with a huge hop resonance. But the flavor was denser than I had hoped for. The hop character was really up front and destroyed any other quality. Though, in the after taste it left a real nice clean hop finish that I truly enjoyed.

02-23-2009 20:52:38 | More by Beertarded
KenC411

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance
A tan beer with few bubbles capped with a thin head barely hiding the beer below. The head forms no peaks. As the beer is consumed, a thick lace clings to the mug.

Smell
The smell of hops and a hint of orange rind beckon me to consume it.

Taste
An initial hop bite swirled with an orange flavor dance in the mouth. A slight coffee taste is also noted.

Mouthfeel
The beer is almost cream-like, coating the tongue and palate its medium fullness and then lingering with a hoppy aftertaste.

Drinkability
The beer goes down easily, and is exceptionally tasty.

02-23-2009 04:50:01 | More by KenC411
UDbeernut

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

on tap a bier Markt poured into a standard pint glass

a: nice tan/ amber color, translucent unlike the bottle sample. Small silky head with nice retnetion does reduce to a lace cap

s: mild earthly hop aroma, Citrus notes, A good amount of malt and yeast aroma

t: solid malt flavor from this IPA. Hops are earlty and very subtle. Slight citric tones as it warms

m&d: good buttery mouthfeel, finishes slightly dry but had a good degree of drinkablility. One of the easiest IPAs to drink that I have had.

A solid IPA that claims to be nothing but.

02-21-2009 12:29:54 | More by UDbeernut
unclejimbay

4.9/5  rDev +19.8%

1/10/09, DFH 60 min IPA, 6.0 ABV, bottle>Imperial Pint Glass, 209 cals p12os
A - 5.0 - Perfect 2 finger head, fluffy with a variety of foam/bubble sizes. Light amber/copper color, noticeable carbonation, excellent head retention.
S - 4.5 - hoppy aroma but sweet. Somewhat mild on aroma for an IPA, followed but various notes of toffee/malt/citrus
T - 5.0 - Malty hop balance. Spot on for a very enjoyable IPA in my opinion. A perfect mix of hops and malt for a very "balanced" IPA that really is right on in my book!
MF - 5.0 - Medium carbonation, Medium+ body
D - 5.0- This is on of my favorite IPAs to date, balanced but hoppy and not to strong for sessions @ 6.0% ABV!

02-19-2009 16:49:13 | More by unclejimbay
gatornation

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

this is a great ipa with a low abv @ 6% for an ipa ... it pours a beautiful apricot color.. with outstanding lacing ...the smell is an oily hoppy floral malty citrus smell ..nice ...the taste is great its bready, doughy.malty all with a lingering oily hop taste nice.. it just slides down and you have soon finished and you want another.... i like ipas and this is in my top 10 ipa's..i like this ipa it is on the rotation.

02-17-2009 23:58:02 | More by gatornation
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

Pours clear amber, with a very whispy, thin white head, and lacing from top to bottom.

Aroma is a bit of caramel, biscuity malt, citrus and pine hops.

Taste is a combination of big, malty body, bread and biscuit, not overly sweet, combined with the firm pine and citrus hit of the hops at the end, though the bitterness waits to come on in the finish. Excellent, well balanced IPA -- went great with steak fajitas.

02-17-2009 14:27:15 | More by JohnQVegas
BARFLYB

3.3/5  rDev -19.3%

12oz bottle into a standard pint glass. 2 month old bottle. Have not had this in years.

A- 60 minute pours out a bronze golden color with a 3/4 inch white head that stayed up for a few minutes. A skim of foam remains at the surface leaving spotty lace. I can see through the glass, not hazy.

S- The continuous hop method shows its colors here as i get a lot of hops giving of more floral aroma's then citrus, Some malt that gives off bready aromas, some yeast.

T- Starts off with a nice cookie like taste from the malts backed by some slight bitter hop action. A switch from the usual. Some citrus flavors all around with a earthy finish somewhat grassy.

M- Light to semi medium body with good carbonation. An equal mix of malts and hops make this an easy drinker. No trace of alcohol with a bit of a metallic taste in the end while finishing dry.

D- Very drinkable and session worthy at a nice price. One of the more drinkable beers out of the DFH lineup. This is not as good as I thought it was 5+ years ago when i loved it. Perhaps my palette changed or the recipe has, or a bad bottle. Anyway give this one a go

02-17-2009 02:09:54 | More by BARFLYB
Coorskid33

Rhode Island

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

A~ Clear and light copper in color. Nice 2 finger head. No visible carbonation.

S~ Sounds weird but it smelled like celery. lol! Weird but ok I guess. Maybe the correct term is earthy.

T~ Hops and bitterness. Floral and citrus flavor all at once. Very good.

MF~ Holy Hops!

D~ Solid. If you like hops then go buy a six pack of this beer as soon as you can. I enjoyed it.

02-15-2009 17:54:44 | More by Coorskid33