60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
PatrickJR

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

Had this on-tap at the Carolina Ale House in Wake Forest, NC.

A - Hazy golden/amber with about a finger of white head. Retention is great and lacing was everywhere.

S - Lots of floral and pine with a rounded sweetness of honey and caramel. Flowers soaked in caramel came to mind.

T - More of the nose. Big sweet malt background with butterscotch and honey with huge piney overtones. Some fruitiness pulls through as well, though indistinct. Apples maybe? Full floral impact hits late palate with managable bitterness.

M - A little too flat and thick for my tastes, perhaps this is a result of it being on draught. Body was medium with almost no carbonation. Coupled with the sweetness, the beer verged on cloying.

D - I had to drink the pint I ordered rather fast, and it was exceptional. Though this has never been one of my favorite beers from the bottle (I actually much prefer the 90 Min) it was very rewarding on tap.

03-27-2009 19:29:41 | More by PatrickJR
natasharai

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Poured with a good amount of foamy off white head that dissipated to a thin layer leaving a little lacing. The beer is a lighter golden orange color, and really clear.

Smell: Very sweet, strong caramel, small flowery hops, and some alcohol is also present.

Taste: Pretty sweet, with a bitter hop character that is a little piney/flowery. Smoothes out in the end to a small roasted malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not much carbonation, very smooth feeling, slightly dry

Overall: Very drinkable AIPA!! Very sweet and smooth. The hops are pretty mellow considering the style.

03-27-2009 05:01:06 | More by natasharai
JZED

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

A: Pours a copper amber color with a nice 1 inch off-white head and solid lacing.

S: The aroma presents with earthy hops and hints of citris and pine.

T: A well balanced taste with bold and flavourful hops throughout.

M: Smooth on the palate with a decent amount of carbonation.

D: A very drinkable IPA.

O: One of the most flavorable IPAs I have tried to date. I look forward to trying the 90-minute and 120-minute IPAs

03-25-2009 02:35:03 | More by JZED
dEM1972

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Clear amber in colour with a half hearted, fluffy white head that quickly disappears; crisp, clean, hoppy aroma, very fresh; crisp, hoppy, bitter and refreshing taste that doesn't seem to be as sharp as a lot of the previous IPAs; bitter, hoppy aftertaste

03-24-2009 16:02:22 | More by dEM1972
Mardukk

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a copper color with a very slight haze. Quickly fading head with some lasting lacing.

Smells of bready malt combined with citrus hops and a hint of alcohol.

Citrus hop taste w/ a nice malt backbone. I had this a bit too warm which is making the alcohol very pronounced.

Medium to heavy carbonation. The well balanced malt and hops make this easily drinkable (especially for an IPA).

Good easy drinking and well balanced. One of my favorite IPA's.

03-24-2009 01:24:56 | More by Mardukk
BigMike

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottled on date of 1/20/09 on the bottle.

Poured into a pint glass.
Yellow/orange color with a nice two finger head.
Very good lacing and retention.

I can smell pine/spice and citrus in the nose.

Nice citrusy hop flavor that finishes up very smooth and sweet.

This is a crisp and clean ipa. Tasty and fresh. It's a nice alternative if you're in the mood for something lighter then the 90 minute.

Overall, i thoroughly enjoyed this offering from DFH

03-23-2009 01:27:44 | More by BigMike
hoppyhobby

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

A - Pours to a clear yellow color with a moderate off-white head

S - Subtle hops and bready.

T - Good balance of hops and malt. Not bitter at all.

M - Clean, crisp and tickles the sides of the tongue.

D - A very drinkable IPA. This one is probably preferable by the masses as you progress to the extremists with the 75, 90 and the 120 is for the bravest of souls.

03-22-2009 21:36:56 | More by hoppyhobby
buschbeer

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

I poured into a pint glass to a half inch of head. There is not a lot of aroma, some pine, citrus, and malt. It is not as hoppy as some I.P.A.'s. I thought it was a very drinkable beer. I'm not a huge I.P.A. fan, but I do crave them from time to time. I think overall it is a pretty good beer.

03-22-2009 16:56:35 | More by buschbeer
Sean9689

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Had on-tap @ FFF's BrewPub.

Looks light amber/copper in color with off-white head. Hint of hops but nothing that overpowers me with smell. Light hops, distinct finish, which I enjoyed. I really enjoy this IPA and could easily drink this all day/night long. Prefer the 90 over the 60.

03-22-2009 05:40:12 | More by Sean9689
ROBORB

3.35/5  rDev -18.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. This beer pours a yellowish/orange hue with a nice tight 1 finger head. The aroma consists of pine and citrus. The initial taste is very nice but for whatever reason I keep getting a weird aftertaste. While I enjoy most of the dogfish brews this is not one of my favorites. Perhaps I had a bad bottle. Will re-review when tried again.

03-21-2009 03:42:34 | More by ROBORB
AdmiralDiaz

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a clear copper body with a large off-white head with good retention and nice lacing.

S: Faint pine on top of moderate hops along with a bready malt. Kind of weak overall, not strong scented by any means.

T: This is a very malty IPA lots of malt with bread along with some caramel toffee notes. Small finish of hops along with a pine bite that becomes increasingly more bitter with warmth. This is an interesting one.

Overall: Decent carbonation but could use a bit more it's light-medium in body. Pretty drinkable.

03-21-2009 01:01:49 | More by AdmiralDiaz
DannyS

Served in a tulip glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - Appropriate IPA medium amber with a thin head that leaves good lacing.

S - Floral hops and sweet toasty cereal grain on the nose. Not like adjuncts, but like fresh toasted wheat or oats. Gets a tad boozy as it warms up.

T - Good amount of hops and hop bitterness, well balanced with a dash of citrus and sweetness.

M - High carbonation compliments the slightly weighty mouthfeel.

D - Actually pretty drinkable for an IPA. The bitter resin of the hops gets a bit strong as one drinks, but I could see myself enjoying a couple of these with dinner.

Overall - A nicely balanced IPA; tastes like it would go really well with food. Will likely buy a couple more of these and have them the next time I make a roast.

03-21-2009 00:41:33 | More by DannyS
andrewgator

4.05/5  rDev -1%

Appearance is typical for an IPA maybe slightly redish. Poured into a pint glass with a decent head and great lacing.

The aroma suprised me. Not the typical cascade hop smell in other IPA's has more of a earthy floral hop aroma that really got me excited to taste it.

The taste is very well balanced not to heavy on the bittering hops and if finishes with perfect balance. I wasn't expecting as much malt flavor. The ringwood yeast gives it an interesting cedar note, and leaves a slight hint of diacetyl.

The drinability is great although maybe a little bit too carbonated for my taste. All in all this is a new favorite and a great choice at run of the mill grocery stores and liqour stores.

I have been in the dark and not tried this beer till now. Way better than I expected.

03-20-2009 00:22:01 | More by andrewgator
whoneeds8

3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured into pint glass liquid gold, with a nice one finger white head. Good retention and great lacing all the way down.

Smells of floral hops, not much else. Taste was a bit of a let down for this style. The hop bite up front was nice, but the end of the taste was a little watered down. I guess you could say there wasn't much of a finish. The carbonation is a great level which good amount of bubbles in the glass.

Overall, this is a nice AIPA but there are better out there for this price.

03-19-2009 22:28:49 | More by whoneeds8
berserker256

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

These hopped-up I.P.A.s are getting more and more expensive so when I saw a 6 pack at Meijer for $8.49 I was all over it. Nice deep bronze color and a huge white head like ocean foam. The aroma is not as overpowering as many of the other I.P.A.s I've had. Much more subtle aromas of pine and citrus. Almost an earthy plant kind of smell. It tastes more malty than I had expected. Not to say that malty is one of the top characteristics of this beer, because it's not, it just has a sweeter type of malty taste than I expected. The flavor is very mild. I detect the bitterness from hops and the piney aftertaste and just barely a hint of citrus fruit. Nice almost creamy texture and medium body. Pretty easy drinking. The beer is now 3/4 gone and foam residue is stuck to the wall of the glass and refuses to dissappear. This is a pretty easy drinking six-percenter. A mild I.P.A.... In a good way.

03-19-2009 16:56:06 | More by berserker256
projectflam86

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

A- Pours nice golden amber color with a nice lacey head.

S- Strong hoppy nose with scents of pine and citrus.

T- You've got to love your hops for this one. Strong hop bitterness initially leading to a nice malty citrus flavor. Eventually finishes with a bitter hop aftertaste that lingers for a bit.

M- Medium light body with a fairly high amount of carbonation.

D- Nice brew but those bitter hops can take their toll on your taste buds if you want to have more than a couple.

03-17-2009 21:29:01 | More by projectflam86
biggred1

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Golden honey blonde with a pure white head of suds that leave fine lace on the glass. Smells like citrus hop and cake batter with faint herbal notes. Tastes fresh and floral with fruity grapefruit and lemon zest and buttery grain. Medium bodied with a slippery resinous mouthfeel. Very refreshing, one of the best.

03-16-2009 19:28:55 | More by biggred1
bsend

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured this 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

The beer pours a nice golden, orangey color. It lets some light through and straddles the line nicely between being too hazey or too light. The beer had a nice 1 finger head.

The smell is decent for this IPA. Great notes of hop and light amounts of citrus make this really pleasing to see.

The taset is phenomenal. The right mix of hop and refreshing flavor. One of the better IPAs on the market.

Playing around the mouth, this beer feels great. Nice amounts of flavor felt around the mouth with a over all light body.

This beer has great drinkability. Its really easy to get into a few of these during a beer tasting session.

Final Thoughts - I would definitely call this my standard IPA if it wasnt for the price. Great beer overall. Well worth the price, try this beer from the ingenous brewers known as Dogfish Head.

03-16-2009 19:15:31 | More by bsend
techcommdood

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance
Poured cleanly from a 12 oz bottle into a standard American pint glass. A war golden color with a finger and a half of head. Solid lacing on this beer from the heavy hop load.

Smell
Picking up all kinds of florals mixed with citrus and honey.

Taste
Very hoppy both up front and to the back of the tongue. Complex sweetness and bitterness throughout. Mild citrus rind permeates the bitterness.

Mouthfeel
Decent carbonation and slightly thick, quickly dries out on the tongue.

Drinkability
Goes down very easily. The initial sip is very quenching but dries quickly, begging for another sip.

Overall
A staple IPA to have around, to be certain. Not as complex as the 90 or 120 minute varieties, but a solid if not monster IPA in and of itself.

03-14-2009 23:25:32 | More by techcommdood
alkemy

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into a pint glass, I would describe the color as a slightly light amber. The scent is of grapefruit, orange, and pine...all the prereq's for a great IPA. I loved that the hops taste was balanced perfectly between the citrus and pine. It often seems that these two flavors tend to lean too far to one side. The beer leaves nice lacing, although I didn't realize it until the conclusion of my very short tasting. Although I could have just been thirsty, this beer went down quick! Taste was superbly balanced and easy to drink and with the lower ABV, I can see why Dogfish refers to it as "the session beer for hardcore beer enthusiasts"

03-13-2009 00:25:59 | More by alkemy
CampusCrew

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Beautiful IPA, classic

appearance: golden amber hues

smell: loaded loaded hops, very plesant for a hop fans. Extreme freshness

taste: Very strong hops aroma, this beer is loaded, nice grapefruit taste

mouthfeel: high carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: classic IPA, perfect

03-12-2009 20:08:05 | More by CampusCrew
biegaman

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

An icy complexion of the pan-fried pancake; its golden glossing looks crisp and tasty. Haze interrupts clarity but the beer still appears filtered and clean. Head retention is ample and the white paste adorning its top seems insistent on leaving thin strands of itself behind. If you order an IPA this is exactly what you hope to see served.

American IPA's are illustrious for their bold, brazen pageantry of hops. Although this example is intended to show a little more restraint than its bigger brother the 90 Minute IPA, it still manages to be quite the spectacle with pungent, earthy hop cones being on full display. That said, a strong biscuity malt underlines and assures us there will be balance.

Perhaps more so than expected. The flavour is about as malty as hoppy, I'd call it a coin flip. Although I love the taste of this ultra-biscuity, super chewy cookie dough flavour, I'm a little surprised that all the pungent, green, earthy hop character has been reserved for the finish only. This doesn't have quite the vibrancy of citrus or spice as do other offerings.

The emphasis on hops is quite apparent but seems to result, in part, from a skimping out on malt. This tastes very malty, to be sure, but it feels a little on the light side and the hops are now starting to make for a lightly acidic, astringent mouthfeel. Working my way through the bottle I'm beginning to sense it could stand to use a little more base (for textural purposes) to support the hop acidity and bitterness.

The 60 Minute is my least favourite of Dogfish Head's hoppy trio and it has nothing to do with the fact this is a lower strength beer. Not entirely for subjective personal taste either, although that surely has a lot to do with it. It's because I've found a lot of inconsistency bottle to bottle and quite simply, I've come across many better crafted IPA's.

03-09-2009 22:50:49 | More by biegaman
cvfish

Louisiana

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

A - This beer poured a golden orange color that produced a white fluffy head that had great retention and left some good lacing on the side of the glass

S - The aromas produced were floral and fruity hop flowers

T - The taste of this particular IPA had a muted malt character and some fruitiness as well as some floral flavors and a bit of hoppy bitterness to finish the palate off

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light to medium body and a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This is a sessionable IPA, not going to blow you away with hops or complex flavors, but you will be able to drink several of these while watching a game

03-08-2009 01:36:59 | More by cvfish
uno99

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

I nearly fell over when I saw this 6 pack of DFH sitting in my LCBO. I've never seen any US craft brews here before so I instantly made up my mind to buy it. I did however pay $15 for it, which is $3 more than my usual Maudite 6 pack.

I was thirsty when I got home so I popped a bottle open without refrigerating so serving temp is probably 65-70.

A: poured into a Guinness pint gives a bright one finger head that sticks around and leaves some nice lacing even in my dirty glass

S: Nice hop aroma: citrus; lemon and grapefruit. smells really sweet. Slight alcohol twinge. some roasted malt in there too.

T: Excellent malt backbone to the hop presence. This is wonderfully balanced. The hop bitterness lingers for about a minute after your sip but its not overpowering and intense.

M: quite thick but the carbonation keeps things afloat in the mouth without letting it get too sticky. It does stick to the teeth and mouth a bit though so I took .5 off for that.

D: I'm glad I have 5 of these left and I think this will be even better once it reaches 55 degrees or so.

I'm not a huge IPA fan but this beer has opened my eyes a bit to how balanced one can be. Great job DFH just wish it were cheaper :S

03-07-2009 00:48:55 | More by uno99
KBoudreau66

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a dark copper colored with one finger of white head that dissipates right away. A lot of carbonation going on. A little bit of spotted lacing at the top of the glass.

Smells of floral hops, pine, grapefruit, and slight caramel malts in the undertone.

Nice and hoppy up front. Piney, and earthy. Some malts in the background, but is overpowered by the hops. Unbalanced, but who cares the hops are great.

Medium bodied, carbonated maybe a little bit dry, but crisp.

I like the 90 minute better, but at $9.99 for a 6-pack when you pay the same price for only a 4-pack of 90 min. The 90 minute is better, but not so much better that I would give up two extra bottles for it.

03-06-2009 23:58:10 | More by KBoudreau66