60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

One finger white head fades too a ring-although in a mason jar- clear copper color.  Hoppy, duh, juicy piney fresh citric hops.  Taste follows, bitter finish, piney.  Nice amount of crystal malt.  Drinks well, bubbly and clean, a little strong for a session beer but you get the picture.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

A - Crystal clear light copper in color with fluffy 1 inch head that slowly fades to a thin rim. I'm using the official DFH glass that I got with a case a few months ago, so hopefully this is the optimal drinking glass.

S - Slightly musty simcoe hops that give off an earthy pine and grass vibe. There is also a bit of citrus in the aroma too. This is such a unique aroma, and I'm really looking forward to this beer.

T - Piney earthy bitter hops right up front. Then there is some grass and malt. This beer tastes like it came from the earth, and it is fantastic. I'm sure this comes from the continuous hopping, but the flavor is so grounded, rich and full. There is also a fantastic toasted malt backbone that holds up great with the hops.

M - Moderate body with very subtle carbonation.

This is a fantastic solid beer. A lot of times DFH goes overboard and creates beers that are just hard to swallow, but this one is one of the most approachable. The hops are earthy and the malt is toasty and rich. This is one of my favorite IPAs, and I will be sure to have it many times in the future.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a nice amber color with a small head that doesn't dissipate too fast. The head sticks to the glass just a little bit. It smells of citrus hops and maybe some caramel or toffee. The hops are not all that present, but are definitely there. Caramel malt notes as well. Medium carbonation and light bodied. It goes down pretty smooth. This IPA is a little on the light and malty side for me. I still think its pretty good and I would drink it again, but I'd rather have a 90 minute.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into your average pint glass, the copperish golden ale produces a just off white head that beautifully peaked just above at the rim settling to just under a cm after three minutea leaving a nice aftermath of lacing (one which has painted the glass now that I am halfway through it.

The aroma was of refreshing citrusy hops which were pleasant to the nose without being overpowering. The cleanliness also came through as I took the first sip of the light-medium bodied ale which was just carbonated enough to help bring out the taste. Here the piney hops seemed to be much more present as was the maltiness of the beer.

I tend to like an IPA with just a bit of maltiness to it and Dogfish head does just that. It still showcases the hops inherent to the style yet is also has the bready, heartier qualities that I tend to want more of in a beer as fall approaches.

2.7/5  rDev -34%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- Amber-pale gold. 1 finger worth of head, light at creamy.

S- Citrus hops dominate at first then this really super rich carmel smell comes in. Very malty, some pine notes.

T- Pine bitterness first, citrus and bready towards the middle and a carmel malt finish. After taste consisted of Carmel and pine needles.

M- Standard IPA, light to medium bodied. Fair amount of carb.

D- Carmel malts just over power and make this beer so so. To "sweet" like to keep drinking to be honest.

The carmel malt of the beer is to much. I mean come on. When I went in for the first sip, i felt like i was about to drink a carmel candy. The after taste followed suit. Its an average IPA that I really tried to like.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Living in landlocked Kansas, I am unfortunately unable to procure any of Dogfish Head's beer, though as a beer nerd I'm obviously aware of the brand. I've always wanted to try the 60 and 90 minute IPAs, mainly due to the use of the Rube Goldberg contraption that allows the beer to be continuously hopped. But does it actually make the beer taste better? We're going to try and find that out tonight.

We're starting off with the 60 minute IPA. Let me just say that, while the label is okay, I really like the copper cap with the Dogfish Head logo. It's simple, understated, and quite nice. (I know it's weird to comment on a cap, but this one stood out, at least for me.) This is just a 12 ounce bottle out of a six pack poured into a rudimentary (though functional) tumbler. It pours a light gold, lighter than I was expecting, with a nice crowning head. Solid head retention out of this one. Good clarity as well. Crisp citrus hop aroma dominates the nose. Initial taste is surprising. I know this is an IPA but it's got a higher level of bitterness that I was anticipating, which isn't a bad thing. Mouthfeel on this is smooth, almost slick. It can just catch you off guard if you aren't expecting it. Taste is very much hop-forward. Dogfish Head likes to say that this is an East Coast IPA but I don't know if I agree. It certainly has west-coast leanings, both with the hop profile and bitterness levels. This thing is like a tidal wave. Hops crash into your taste buds, with waves of pine, citrus and grapefruit hitting first. As the tide of hops recedes, solid biscuity and light caramel malt sweetness finishes things up. As IPAs go, this is somewhere above ordinary, bordering on the extraordinary. If I had reliable access to this beer I'd probably pick it up all the time as my IPA of choice. Very nice offering and a steady example of the American IPA style.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

a: Pours straw colored and clear. About an inch of head that fades fairly quickly and leaves sticky lace. A lot of visible carbonation.

s: Fruity and spicy, like tangelos and grapefruit. A good hoppy smell backs it up. The clean, citrusy aroma is nice and inviting.

t: Very bitter, but in a nice way. A lot of grapefruit flavor and bite which is really brought out by a nice balance of hops. Has a grassy feel on the palate but a clean, though sharp, finish.

m: Fairly thin bodied but still fills the mouth well. Has a nice amount of carbonation that brings out the flavors instead of masking them.

d: This beer is very dry on the palate and finishes very crisply. The taste associated with the bitterness may drive some people away but I am personally a fan.

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thought I already reviewed this one but guess not. Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a pale golden amber color. One finger white head shows amazing retention that sticks around the entire beer. Sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Citrus hops come bursting onto the scene that make my mouth water literally. My only problem with Dogfish Head is that they have this over the top caramel malt heavy aroma to them. This tends to over take the entire aroma for a split second before the pine ending balances it out.

T- Big bitter pine bite from the get go with this beer. There is a light citrus balance to this pine but even it get snuffed out toward the ending of the front. Big caramel bready malts in the middle of the beer. I mean this is all I can taste for a couple of seconds...it turns from a hop bomb to a malt bomb in a heartbeat. The ending of this comes back to a piney hop flavor and throws the balance back into this IPA.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Lots of hops and a little bit of malt left on the palate. The aftertaste is alcohol, bready malts (heavy), and light pine hops. The alcohol comes into play and drys the palate out (medium). This is a balanced but unbalanced beer if that makes sense. The flavor was clean tasting for the most part and crisp for sure.

D- The one thing I usually don't like about east coast IPA's is the malts that tend to be over the top. Dogfish Head sadly is one of those breweries that do it. I think that the beer itself is good and might be sessionable to the right person. Sadly, this beer is not one for me.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Finally, I found a 60 Minute single on the shelf, secretly assuming that a full 4 pack would not let me down. The color was a very transparent amber, with a respectable eggshell head.

The nose had good hop complexity, potency seemed a bit lacking however, or maybe I was just expecting too much. Grapefruit, clean soap, and some grass barely edged out the sweet malt. Somewhat of a chlorine like tinge from the aroma seemed a bit out of the ordinary.

Ah the flavor is smooth, balanced, and interesting. It's not strong, but screams drinkability. Soapy grapefruit, and a nice dash of cinnamon and spice from the malt keep each other in line.

The body is on the light side of medium, with mild carbonation. It's definitely easy to drink, as I could drink it all night. But it's no heavy hitter, but I suppose that's where the 90 & 120 Minute come in....

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Served in a pint glass

I've had this beer before when I really wasn't an IPA fan, but now that I'm growing a taste for the hop-load I'm going to review it. The DFH 60 minute pours a slightly hazy copper orange color, finger of puffy white foam, and some beautiful lacing down the glass. The aroma as would be expected is strongly of hops, specifically piny and citrus aroma. There is also the detection of caramel malts making an appearance on the nostril, but they are not necessarily in balance. The flavors of hops and malt however are in balance. During the initial sips there is a tangy bitterness on the palate that grows on the tongue the more you consume the beer. That is a bit too bitter still for my liking, but overall it is a fine drinking beer and something that is quite pleasant for an IPA.

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

One of the most interesting IPAs I have had. The piney hops come through along with the thirst quenching mouthfeel. Clear orange appearance with white lacey head. Spicy, piney, and tasty on a nice summer night. Could take down a sixer without thinking about it. One of my go to's in the throughout the year.

3.63/5  rDev -11.2%

12oz bottle served in SA Perfect Pint. Bottled on 9/17/10.

A: Clear, bright golden color. Orangish hues in some lights. Two fingers worth of ivory head diminishes quickly and leaves some clingy lace.

S: Floral and slightly spicy hop aroma. Some sweet carmel-like malt in the background. A little bit of black pepper. Faint citrus and pine.

T: Very flavorful. Juicy citrus balanced out by a solid malt backbone. A hint of spruce. The moderate to high bitterness compliments all of the flavors very nicely. Slight astringency and a flash of butterscotch in the finish bring the score down a bit.

M: Carbonation is well done. Medium bodied.

D: Full of flavor and easy to drink. Interesting enough to have several. This is a deceptive beer. The bitterness is not overwhelming, but it is significant enough that is will dull the palate considerably over the course of 2-3 beers.

This is one of the beers that got me interested in Craft. It's nice to go back and revisit the old standards. It is so easy to get caught up in seeking out the next big thing, that sometimes we forget just how good the classics are.

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass, (second was poured into a snifter) I had to have a couple of these, to form an opinion. It poured into the glass with the color of a light tea. The head was a couple centimeters, but dissipated fairly quickly but lacing continued throughout the glass..

Smell is citrus, didn't expect the smell, was delightful. Though it wasn't in your face had to change glasses to get the aroma out a bit better. The first glass I used was one of those standard pint glass that everyone puts their logo on. the second was in a snifter.

taste like the smell was fruity, hops of course, but not as much as I was craving.

Very drinkable, but not something that I wanna drink through the night.

I do like it a lot and will go there again...

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Felt the need to buy a sixer of this after hearing about the shortage in the area.
Bottled on date of 10/1/10. Mega-fresh!

A-Beautiful dark golden in color. Almost perfectly clear, only a touch of haziness.. Head is big and white with good retention.

S-I'm a bit congested, but even I can smell the big, beautiful earthy and herbal hops going on here. Nice citrus undertones.

T-Palate-blasting hops here. Sharp, citrus tastes as well. I'm not identifying much malt here. Maybe a tid-bit of caramel?

M-A little heavily carbonated for the style. Body is medium. The bitterness lingers for a bit afterwards. I can feel it all over my tongue.

D-Pretty low abv for the style allows one to have a few of these in an evening. The taste is pretty sharp, and a bit heavy on the carbonation will prevent this from being too sessionable.

Notes-I know this is a staple IPA, but I had forgotten how good this was. This was bottled a mere two weeks ago, and I don't think I'll ever be able to drink one more than two months old or so ever again.

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

I had this one many times, but never reviewed it. Here goes:

A: Straw gold color, a tinge of cloudiness, but we're not exactly getting into dreamland territory. Beautiful 1-2 inch foamy head that kept its retention throughout the session.

S: There is something about the DFH bottled beers that bothers me: I always get a very distinct melted plastic smell combined with the hops. Is this just me? The draft version (at the Alehouse a few miles away) doesn't possess this undesirable characteristic. However, bottled DFH is still better that A-Game efforts from many other breweries.

T: Citrus, dark malts (darker than it is on draft), and a nice wet floral finish.

M: No ABV detected and nice fluffy carbonation that sustains itself to the last drop. The muted sugar is spot on IMO

D: This is easily at least an A- beer on draft. The next time I am at the Alehouse (which I go at least once a month), I want to revisit this brew and update this review.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Had this beer at the Varsity Theatre on Frnaklin street in Chapel Hill, NC while I watched Toy Story 3.

A - Pours a nice amber color with a creamy head that dissipated to leave some lace.

S - Fruity, hoppy, a little alcohol

T - Absolutely excellent! Citrus and grapefruit hoppiness that gives way to a slightly sweet malty aftertaste. One of the best tasting beers I've had.

M - Moderately high carbonation that fits the style of the beer quite well, pulling out the tangyness of the hops.

D - I could drink these all day

I've only had one of these, but after more experience with it I can see it becoming one of my favorites, even a fridge-staple!

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale amber color that is pretty clear. Had a very nice, 1-finger head.

Smell: Has a strong fruit aroma that indicates a nice hop presence. Quite inviting for a hophead.

Taste: Has a bit of that grapefruit flavor one gets from a high amount of hops. Yet, it's quite smooth. Very good.

Mouthfeel: Has a mild body that's not too watery.

Drinkability: Very good. It's not the best, but it's very good and it's something I could see being a mainstay in my refrigerator.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

I can't believe I haven't entered a review for this one yet. Well, now's as good a time as any, I s'pose. It pours a clear golden amber topped by a finger or so of white foam. The nose comprises grapefruit, mandarin oranges, honeydew, and sweet, sweet caramel. The taste is heavier on the pine, but the fruitier hoppy notes remain, joined with the aforementioned pine in a joint domination of the sweet caramel beneath. Imagine the mutants in Futurama. The body is a heavy light/very light medium, with a light carbonation and a finish that really seems like it wants to be dry. Overall, a very nice hop-forward IPA, as good this time as it has been in the past.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Copper color, mild carbonation, poured a 2 fingered head and retained a finger sized head. Left a nice lacing.

Smell- Nice strong piney hop aroma, slight citrus aroma.

Taste- Very piney hop taste that lingers on the palate, slight malt taste helps to balance the hops. Leaves you wanting another sip.

Mouthfeel- mildly carbonated, light feel in mouth and slight oil from hops left on tongue.

Drinkability- Very drinkable, makes u wanna come back over and over again and explore the diffrent subtleties of the hops and also the backround flavors.

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

A- Clear gold with moderate carbonation and head. Turned into a thin film soon after.

S- Citrus and floral hops. Slightly weak sadly, but what I did smell I loved.

T- Citrus greets you right off the bat and then slight notes of pine and hop oil take over. The hops in this don't have much of a bite, but are very hard to ignore. Has some caramel taste which balances the bitterness, but I like how it stays focussed on the hops.

M- Thin and watery, but good carbonation saves it somewhat and makes it almost creamy.

D- I remember my first one of these before I was familiar with IPAs. It was so intense and I couldn't decide whether I liked all the bitterness or not, or all the bite I thought it had. Now I find myself thinking of this as being considerably smooth and easy to down. I almost wish it had more kick now like it did the first time.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Got this beer on tap at the flying saucer in Charlotte.
Pours an orangish amber body with finger length white head.
Smells of crsip citrus hops an dslight caramel and toasted malt sweetness.
Taste of caramel malt and some tostey biscuit all under a blanket of citrus and piney hops with a moderate bittering finish. Not much alcohol burn on the finish.
Mouthfeel is moderat and silky.
Very drinkable IPA without to much bitternes and harshness

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottled on 9/25/10

I'm not sure how it is that I have not gotten around to reviewing this beer yet, since it is one of my all-time favorites.

Pours a crystal clear light orange amber with a fluffy white head that has very good staying power and leaves sticky sheets of lace.

The aroma is wonderfully pungent and hoppy in this fresh example. Orange and some pine are the main players, but there is also a bit of herbal spice in there. The malt character is very biscuity, and really accentuates the citrus notes of the hops.

The flavor is everything I have come to know and love about 60 Minute. Wonderful hop flavor, yet balanced at the same time. Dank citrus zest, pine and pithy orange mix with that same herbal spice from the nose. The bouquet is well accented by a nice caramel malt sweetness that gives the beer a bit of a bready flavor. It is evident that this is a fairly bitter IPA, but it comes off as clean and not bracing.

The mouthfeel is medium and fairly smooth with a good amount of carbonation. The finish is definitely dry, but not overly so. Pine and bitter grapefruit linger on my palate after swallowing.

Super drinkable, and a legendary east coast IPA that deserves all the hype. I have to get one of these every few months, and usually end up drinking more than one. This is a great beer to quaff at cookouts, when watching a game, or even having an ugly sweater party. A true classic.

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

a- nice light orange/brown color, decent head, just a thin layer of foam after a little while
s- unidentified fruit smells dominate a good hops smell
t- nice mild bitterness and good fruity taste with just the right amount of caramel
m- nice slightly creamy mouthfeel
d- i very much enjoy this beer and will grab it again some other time, its a good beer for enthusiasts and beginners in the ipa world

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Dark yellow/gold pretty clear, a tiny bit of haze to it. Nice eggshell white head that forms a nice cap and collar. Good lacing.

S: Pineapple and light citrus hops. Sweet like candy malt.

T: This has got a near perfect balance of hops and malt. Fruity, pineapple, citrus and pine hops. Its not so much a carmel or toffee malt backbone, its just a plain old sweeter malt taste. Finishes with a moderate grapefruit bitterness that lasts. I would love to try this fresh, it was bottled 7/28/10.

M: Medium body. Moderate carbonation. Feels thicker and creamier than it is because of all the micro carbonation bubbles.

D: Goes down easy. This would be my go to IPA if we could get it in MN... Hopefully one day soon.

3.6/5  rDev -12%

Bottled on 9/2/10 A, so for the cooler at Giant Eagle, I guess this is pretty fresh. In keeping with the theme of many of my recent reviews, this is one that Ive had lots of times before but have never reviewed.

A- Really nice looking. Its a really clear, pale coppery gold color. Lots of little bubbles are racing up to feed a big, white pillowy head. Lots of lacing, pretty good retention.

S- Unfortunately this doesnt smell really hop forward. Its pretty balanced. Malts are coming through easily. Bready, crackery and somewhat corny actually. Hops are mostly just flowery.

T- The taste is a bit more hop forward but nothing crazy. I wouldnt imagine this would fade out too much in only a month but who knows. More of the same crackery and bready malts and juicy citrus and floral hops. The citrus is faint and not too easy to pinpoint.

D- I remember when I first had this beer. It was way back before I found BA. I thought it was pretty aggressive and bitter. I actually had a hard time drinking it. Now it goes down super easy and isnt bitter to me at all.

60 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery