60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

I was surprised given the experimental and forward thinking nature of Dogfish Head that I gravitated toward the 60 Minute when looking for what in my mind has become a classic IPA.

The pour was decent but the head retention was definitely lacking. There was almost nothing of the head left by the time I put the glass down after pouring.

The citrusy smell of hops was perhaps the best part of the experience. The bitterness was nicely balance and was not over powering. Definitely a nice relaxed Dogfish beer to have with a larger group.

3.68/5  rDev -10%

Another beer I can't believe I've yet to review.

A: The pour is a clear light amber color with a thin white head which dissipates to a thin layer but leaves some nice sticky lacing.

S: The nose is mildly hoppy with some pine and grapefruit. There's quite a bit of toasty, bready malt in the background as well.

T: The flavor is more reminiscent of a pale ale than an IPA. The bitterness is there with some nice resinous pine quality, but not all that much in the way of citrus character. The malt is again toasty and fairly pronounced on the front end.

M: The body is medium with a low to moderate level of carbonation and a lingering bitterness on the tongue.

D: As I mentioned, this is quite similar to a pale ale and as such, is quite easy to drink. Certainly one of the tamer DFH offerings, but sometimes that's a good thing.

Now that I've acquired a bit more knowledge in terms of beer and further developed my palate, I've decided to re-visit some of the beers I rated early on. This, one of my personal favourites, happens to be one of them. This re-rating resulted in a slightly lower mark.

Pours a clear and brawny orangey-gold with a finger and a half of creamy white head that displays decent retention and leaves large sticky patches of lace.

Fresh pine, grapefruit rhine, a bit of pineapple, and a nice hefty dose of bready malts, with a touch of caramel in the nose.

Hoppy goodness coming from the citrus and pine notes hit the palate first and gradually move to the sides of the mouth, making way for the sweet buttery and bready malts.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, creamy, and displays an all around good balance between malt and hops.

This beer not only made the American IPA my favourite style, but also really opened my eyes to the craft beer industry. I'm a bit disappointed that it turned out not as good as I remembered it to be, but I'm sure I was a bit nostalgic about it from the time I first had it to now. Still none the less an excellent American IPA, and one that I'll be happy to buy time and time again.

3.63/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance - Golden orange, just shy of amber, with about two fingers of head on the pour. As the glass empties a kind of fog hovers over the liquid line, but never seems to dissipate. Little bit of lacing.

Smell - Grassy hops, sourdough bread, little bit of grapefruit, and a faint whiff of alcohol.

Taste - Grassy, piney, resiny hops flavor. There's a little bit of citrus in the backdrop, but it's not a key player; this is definitely an East Coast IPA. A sweet malt character comes in toward the back end, and finishes a little dry, but not too dry.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth, but at the same time it didn't seem like it was missing any carbonation. A dry, slightly oily finish.

Drinkability - This is a smooth, tasty East Coast IPA that the average beer drinker and the craft brew fan might find common ground.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

A - pours a faint copper with a foamy 1/2 finger head

S - Piney hops dominate; there are also some malts present

T - Taste is very similar to the nose. The palate is dominated by piney hops; there are some citrus hops present, but they are very much overshadowed by the pine. There is also a nice sweet and grainy malt backbone to help balance some of the hops. Overall, this is a very bitter IPA.

M - smooth and full bodied with some good carbonation

D - This was a good IPA. The hops are almost too much though as the bitterness took something away from the drinkability of this one for me.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

A: bronze/golden beer, great head with a regular poor. Tuns of lacing.

S: Hoppy, but I find a hint of a biscuity smell.

T: wonderful, simply great. I would drink a case of this if i could handle the alcohol.

M: The mouthfeel is alright, you can feel the carbonation.

D: I'm not sure about this one, the alcohol content is solid, but the problem with this is the fact that it can fill you up rather quickly. If your trying to go all night i wouldn't recommend this craft. However if your going for just a couple of brews, I would recommend this one in a heartbeat.

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

A-poured into a pint glass a nice rich head about 1/4 in.bone white with nice sticky lacing. Golden/amber color that is very clear,and has a good amount of carbonation.

S-earthy hops with an underlying piney nose. Can smell a nice amount of caramel and biscuity malt in the backround as well.

T-distinct hop flavor with a nice lemon zest and earthy fruits. Piney oils are on the tongue as the beer disipates. Nice clean finish without too much sweet caramel.

D/M- very nice and smoth IPA. Wonderful velvety texture and smooth finish.

a- nice two finger creamy head that fizzles down to a half a finger that doesnt give up. some thick lacing at the top. very good carbonation inside the honey tan liquid. thick long lacing like marshmallow lace

s- caramel citrus syrup with pine sprinkled in

t- there is caramely sweetness with a dry finish balanced with big hops, citrus grass and pine, the bitterness just rounds it out. a little bready, mostly it stays sweet to me.

m- smooth, soft and enjoyable carbonation, just a little sappy

d- 6% is above what i typically call session beer but Dogfish Head doesnt play around. goes down slow

goes well in spaghetti sauce

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured 12 oz. bottle into DFH signature glass.

A-white thick lasting head sits atop a light copper colored beer. Carbonation strong.

S-american citrus hops / slight malt flavor.

T-balanced slightly more on the hops compared to the malt but it has caramel sweetness w/ a little added complexity from the English ale yeast I think.

M-light body which makes it very drinkable.

Overall great fairly easy drinking (session-able) ipa with enough hop aroma and subtle complexity to keep it interesting.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

My fav IPA for drinkability.

A- Nice golden sunset color.

S- Citrus aroma with a slight bread smell.

T- Great balance for an IPA. Hoppy but also Malty.

M- Good mouthfeel.

D- I could easily drink more than one of these, that's impressive since I am not a huge IPA fan.

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Apearance - Pours a light yellow with an orange hue. A decent 2 finger head the left good lacing.

Smell - Hoppy citrus smell right off the back, following by a slight bread scent. The scent is well balanced.

Taste - Taste similar to the smell, citrus and hops. It is a little weak, and I didn't get that nice bite that you can get from some other IPA's.

Mouthfeel - Good mouthfeel, not overly dry like some IPA's can be. I can taste the alcohol, sometimes tastes like it could be even higher than 6.00%.

Drinkability - I could drink a few of these, they go down pretty easily.

Overall, it is a pretty solid beer, and a decent IPA. It's good, yes, but I think it is a little overhyped.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Overall a very good IPA as you can see by the marks, but I was expecting more. I have had it before, but never to write a review on and compare to other beers.

Maybe it is all the hype I hear about how good it is, but I think Harpoon makes an IPA that rivals it.

Definitely a smooth beer, you can tell its quality ingredients, the consistency is excellent, excellent appearance, pour is great, but the taste is lacking a little bit for me, needs a little more flavor, maybe more thickness would be the thing.

I will try the 120 next, maybe that is the ticket, but the 60 minute is just above average for me, esp. at $9.99 for 6. Needs more.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Pours a clear, golden-orange color with about an inch of frothy head. Bubbles rise to the surface by the thousands. I dig how the foam doesn't totally die out...even after I let the beer warm for a few minutes there is still a nice layer of frothy, hoppy goodness waiting for me.

This has a very nice hop smell; spiced pine and citrus aromas abound, with a hint of sweetness fighting for attention in the background.

Mmm. The taste is really very good. Now I wish I had compared this head-to-head last night with Founders Double Trouble because the profile is similar. The hop presence is definitely floral and piney. Carbonation is moderate and it gives way to a smooth and lingering display of sour citrus - sort of like an orange with a lot (but not all) of the sugar removed.

The head is a fighter and it's trying to stay alive as I work my way down to the halfway point. The rings on the side of the glass are creeping up on perfection. The head contributes to a fuller mouthfeel - creamy in some respects but thin in others.

This is a great IPA. I should disclaim that I've grown to be somewhat of a DFH "fanboi," and I think that this beer is illustrative of the fact that their product lines deal in varying degrees of perfection. One of these days I'm going to hit the 60, 90, and 120 in chronological progression because I think each is the perfect preface to the next.

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass, producing a golden honey color with a light, foamy white head. Left mild lacing in the glass.

Smelled of citrus and hops, also getting a little sweetness.

Taste pretty much followed the nose, a little pine in there, mild grapefruit, sweetness is present, followed by a little bitterness on the finish.

Seemed a little thick in the mouth, and the spices stuck around.

A drinkable IPA, not as intense as others, but one I would have again.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

As good as any IPA that I ever have. Everything about it is the quintessential IPA. Really good hop aroma, great hop flavor, perfect color; just a great ipa from every point. I had this on a very hot day and it was a little strong for that but this is a never-miss IPA.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Pours a orange-yellow hue with a thick white fluffy head. Aroma has mixes of citrus, spice, and grain. Taste pretty much follows the aroma only the spice part is a little bit stronger. Good thickness and carbonation; not too much alcohol in the taste, so it could be an anytime beer. Although for an IPA, I expected a slightly higher alcohol %.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

A- Pours a light yellow with an orange hue. Two inches of foamy white head that last awhile. Lots of rising carbonation. Lots of lacing.

S- Citrus, pineapple, a candy like sweetness, and faint hints of bread. The scents are subtle, balanced, and welcoming.

T- The taste follows the nose. The flavors are very good but a little week for an IPA.

M- The mouth-feel is awesome, very wet and refreshing, with great balance between light body and medium carbonation. Not quite what I want in an IPA. Almost feels like a good lager.

D- I could quaff many of these. Almost as easy to drink as water.

F.T.- This is one of the best beers that Ive had, but I scored it low because I dont find the taste and mouth-feel true to the style.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Dark golden amber with a nice white head. The lacing is decent.

S: Grapefruit and citrus hops for sure. A little bit of a candy sweetness in there as well.

T: Great bitter pine hop taste, with a slightly fruity backing. This taste should be the standard for IPAs. Also, the first beer off of a new keg, doesn't get much better.

M: Very smooth with great carbonation.

D: Lower ABV combined with an excellent taste, easy to put several down.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

My favorite seesion IPA hands down.

A- clear dark golden color, with a slightly off-white thick foamy head that leaves way to good lacing on the glass.

S- Citrusy fruity hop aroma, with a slight malt backbone. great aroma for an IPA in my opinion. very inviting.

T- well balanced between malt and hop. first impression is of malty,nutty sweetness. gradually works its way into great citrusy grapefruit hops. mild bitterness in the finish but is very pleasing.

M/D- good mouthfeel, light-medium bodied. perfect for this beer. this is my session IPA when im in the mood to drink more than 1 or 2 IPAS.

4.05/5  rDev -1%

12 oz bottle served at 51F in a tulip.

Bought a sixer of this hoping it would be a cheaper substitue for the 90-minute, and yet nearly as good, but alas it was not to be. No doubt about it, this is still a great IPA, but it does pale in comparison to the most excellent 90-minute, and at least in bottled form, I guess I will continue to stick with the 90-minute despite the additional cost.

Homing in on taste specifically, the 60-minute simply does not offer the depth and nuance of flavors that the 90-minute offers. Both the hop and malt profiles are substantially more subdued. The taste is still balanced, mildy sweet with a fair amount of citrus. Some very slight bready yeastiness as well.

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

A- clear, golden amber with chunly eggshell head that laced very well

S- grapefruit, hops and overall sweetness

T- dry and bitter all throughout with pine, citrus and a good malt base

M- light/medium body, lively carbonated, lingering aftertaste

D- good, but nothing spectacular

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

a - deep golden color with a little haze, head retention was good.

s - mild toasty malts. with an amazing burst of citrusy hops.

t - semi sweet malts on the front end. some very evident yeasts flavors come out and the deer finishes with a full hop bitterness.

m - meduim bodied and well balanced

d - this is the IPA i keep in my fridge most of the time. one of my favorite brews. cheers!

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Captain Lawrence pint glass.

A: Vigorous pour generates a 2 finger coarse, white head with great retention. Beer is clear orange, showcasing an ample amount of carbonation. Lacing is frothy but stays close to beer level.

S: Citrus hoppiness, rubbery, a surprising hint of nuttiness and coffee. Nose is very subdued for an IPA, likely due to the foreign coffee scent.

T: Hits hard with coffee upfront, citrus hops linger in the back a bit before becoming more and more apparent as the surprising coffee bitterness starts to fade. Not too hoppy at all, very balanced. Piney hops more present in the second sip along with a citrus sweetness balancing it out. Fades with piney hop character that lingers just a touch before it fades. A really odd IPA to say the least, but neverthless, an enjoyable combination of flavors.

M: Light bodied, and as my mouth confirms what I see, highly carbonated and refreshing. Watery mouthfeel with a finish that isn't overwhelming. Leaves a certain stickiness on my lips and my tongue but also surprisingly dry for the style.

D: Strange beer but I like the combination. Mouthfeel is appropriate for the style and while the nose is a bit lacking (I'm expecting a little more over the top and... *sniffable) the flavor is not. Glad this one is a local as I'm sure I'll be revisiting it soon.

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The rarest of sights, a straight forward DFH! Looks nice, standard looking pale. A decent, and frankly unique bouquet, can't put my finger on it.

Taste, not exactly citrus or grapefruit hop. Intriguing. Not to heavy, a little sweeter than my taste for an ipa. Pays homage to the traditional I guess. Grows throughout, what was supposed to be a straight forward ipa has some difficult to pinpoint nuances. Nice.

Drinkability, I deduct some points for the high cost of this beer. If its price was $7 instead of 9-10, I'm all about giving it a higher drinkability. But alas, no.

A- Pours out a clear brown orange color with a 1 finger head that sticks around for a while. Some lacing on the sides of the glass

S- Floral and citrus hopes, smells like grapefruit

T- Sweet malt, then grapefruit hops, sweet malty backbone

M- Medium body, persistent carbonation. Dry, bitter citrus finish

D- Solid IPA, but there are many better. The other DFH IPAs are great, so I think DFH could do a little better on this one

60 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery