60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
rousee

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours honey apricot-amber type gold hue with a quick 1 finger head settling down to a brush of foam within seconds. This one leaves a very nice lace on the glass especially for a bottled beer.

Smell is honey and malty and clean --almost ocean-like maybe a bit salty.

The taste is strong hops with some berries, fruit and malt. This one is hoppier than the Shelter pale ale they make and I still like this one better. It just tastes fresher. The mouthfeel is dry and salty but excellent.

Drinakbility is the one weakness. I am just not that much of a hop-head although Dogfish head is one of the better hoppy tasting beers readily available to me. Maybe I could have more than a couple - I don't know and I am not gonna try --at least tonight.

09-13-2004 02:03:17 | More by rousee
alexgash

Connecticut

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Found a slew of DFH beers in Boulder at Liquor Mart on my way back to Utah, so I decided to smuggle some in...

Pours a lightly hazed orange-copper with a puffy, fibrous off-white head.

Smell is big. As soon as the cap came off, the hop oils started attacking my olfactory center. Resinous cannabis (Columbus hops?) smells come strong, with whiffs of fir sap and citrus peel. Since I've evolved into a hop head, I've come to love smells like this.

The taste is, as expected, very hop-oriented. Starts off with a flash of sugary malt, letting you know this actually was brewed using some barley. The resinous hops come in strong and stay strong into the citrus-bitter finish. I picked up some lingering patches of sweet malt as well. A nice IPA, although the hop taste was on the verge of being only two-dimensional.

Mouthfeel is sticky, medium-large bodied. I would drink this more often if it was available in either MN, or UT!

09-07-2004 02:40:39 | More by alexgash
diamonddave

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Pours dark amber with a big ol' puffy head. This'll get your mouth watering before you even smell it...

...and when you do, DANG. I hate to use a fey adjective like "pretty" to describe a beer, but this smells awfully pretty. If a girl's hair smelled like this, you'd fall in love with her instantly. The hops are evident in the nose, but it mostly smells flowery and citrusy. You'll want to spend a little time here before taking a sip.

And when you do, again, wow. Mucho hops, but balanced nicely with a malty/fruity finish.

Mouthfeel: I'll say the same thing that Linda Lovelace probably said about John Holmes- very thick and satisfying in the mouth.

This has such a strong and distinctive taste that I think you'd burn out on it if you drank more than a few at a sitting. But gaw-damn, this is a great beer. One of my absolute favorite IPAs.

09-06-2004 01:42:56 | More by diamonddave
RBorsato

4.58/5  rDev +12%

On tap 8/24/04 at Buffalo Wing Factory in Sterling, VA.

Clear golden color with a lower off-white head and decent lace. Who wrung out the wethops in my pint glass ?!? Huge fresh citrusy grapefruit hop aroma !! Nice hoppy taste without being too bitter -- decent balance for the amount of hops involved... Medium bodied and smooth with a pleasant bitter finish.

OK OK Maybe now I see why this one is so highly regarded now that I have had the draft version ... Much much better than the bottled version !!

09-03-2004 16:01:47 | More by RBorsato
mudhoney

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Sam Caligione is a genius when it comes to IPA's and hops
Although this beer isn't a monster IPA, it is by far one of the better ones offered in this area after a much anticipated arrival.
Served "Randallized" this beers appearance is a burnt- orange color topped with very a small amount of creamy white head that quickly disappeared.
The aromas are citrusy and sweet. The floral aroma of the hops kicks in as you put the glass to your lips. (oh my the hops). Cascade and Amarillo hops make a fine marriage in this beer and are not overpowering even with the randall hopping process applied.
The flavors are carmel and apricot followed by a dry bite of hops.
The finish is hoppy and dry without a lingering oily taste.
I was very impressed with the "Randall" and this beer, and look forward to trying it bottled as soon as I can find some and pick it up.

09-02-2004 16:57:23 | More by mudhoney
assurbanipaul

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Before I start, let me preface this by stating this draft sample was served through a newly-installed Randall, so this may differ from the bottled or standard-draft version. Will compare/contrast when I have the chance.

Pours a clear, orange amber, light with a thin to nonexistant head. Wonderful, bright, bright fresh hops aroma right on top; floral, herbal, fresh-cut grass but not enough to be off-putting.

Taste is rather thin and light for the style but with the same fresh, herbal taste present in the aroma. I expected a palate-raping experience from the effect of the Randall but instead its effect was subtle, more in the aroma than in the taste. Pale malt, gentile hops, very drinkable. Finish is back-of-throat dry.

Light mouthfeel, flavors the breath with hops. Immediate massive hops burps even with a small sample. Easily quaffable, the effect of the Randall is obvious and appreciated. A welcome departure from some of the overwhelming West Coast hop monsters.

09-02-2004 05:36:16 | More by assurbanipaul
99bottles

I finally got around to tasting the last of the DFH "minutes". This is quite different than the higher octane versions, but it does restore my faith in DFH ales that aren't trying to be different ( the seemingly normal Shelter Pale Ale is a disaster)

Appearance: A bright copper color with abundant carbonation and a lacy white foam head of about an inch. Classic.

Smell: A very strong scent of hops with some citrus.

Taste: A very good IPA in my book. This had a dry malt base that stood up well to the hopfest that is this beer. Hops hops and more hops give a fruity, piney, flavorful taste and an alluring crispness in the finish. Not as sweet as some other IPAs, but not as bitter either. A nice middle ground IPA with distinguished hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Decent, the amount of carbonation gives this a lively feel, not overdone.

Drinkability: Good. I could have a couple and still not have my pallete shot to pieces. Nice middle of the road ABV, and a solid all around beer from one of my favorite breweries.

08-29-2004 18:55:11 | More by 99bottles
matyp99

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

12 oz. bottle that pours a reddish-golden color with a nice head that goes down to fine whitel lacing that remains present on side of glass. Aroma is of a pleasant hop with a slight floral scent. Taste has much more hoppiness then in aroma. Bitterness is present throughout taste especially coming through on the short crisp finish. Mouthful is that of an easy drinking beer.

08-28-2004 19:53:41 | More by matyp99
wbickerton

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

On tap at Fat Heads.

Fantastic hoppy aroma.

Crisp, spicy flavor that lingers longer than some double IPAs.

Deep amber color.

Very good lacing.

This beer has a lot of flavor while only having a 6% ABV content.

It has a decent mouthfeel and is not overly filling.

08-25-2004 03:25:04 | More by wbickerton
orbitalr0x

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a beautiful golden amber with a nice big head from the 12oz bottle. The 1 inch head sticks around awhile. Smells of hops....pine and citrus scents come through. The first sip is all hops and damn is it good. Not too bitter and it even leaves a nice aftertaste. This is one of the first proper American IPA's I've tried and I like it alot. I'm a big fan of the hops and this brew definetly delivers. I'm excited to try the 90 and 120 minute versions after all I've read on here. Overall, this is a great brew....one I will look forward to coming back to in the future.

08-25-2004 03:04:32 | More by orbitalr0x
TongoRad

4.05/5  rDev -1%

Pours a light copper color with a thick and long lasting slightly amber head.

Aroma is all about the hops, very fresh- slightly citrusy, slightly resiny- like a powerful perfume. There’s also a hint of caramel.

Full bodied with plenty of residual sugar and caramel to support all those hops, and the perfect touch of bitterness.

This beer is extremely well put together though I would hesitate to classify it as a session beer.

08-23-2004 17:21:34 | More by TongoRad
HopGoblin

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours deep, golden-orange with a nice two finger head. Nose is filled with hints of sweet hops and malt. The nose is a little deceiving when it comes to the hops, because the first taste is filled with that great hop flavor. As the beer began to warm caramel and citrus flavors filled the glass. The beer had a long, nicely bitter finish with strong flavors of grapefruits. An excellent beer.

08-23-2004 03:04:35 | More by HopGoblin
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

The beer pours a briliant hazy golden color with two fingers of head that stick around after the initial pour, which is nice to see. The sweet hop in the nose is just beautiful. It is grapefruit and floral that makes me want to just sit and smell the beer. I can't wait to try this beer. A bit of a let down in my book. The hop in the nose is not given justice by the hop in the flavor. The flavor has a nice grapefruit sweetness from the hop and malt, but there is just a bit of weakness in the bitters. I want them to stay on my tongue longer than they do. The beer is moderate to thick in my mouth with a moderate carbonation that just nicely dances on my tongue. As IPA's go, this one is very drinkable, but I would like the bitter to stay on my tongue more and make me pause a bit between sips to clear that feeling. Overall, this is a good offering. I would pick it up again, but I am also looking forward to trying the 90 minure again after not having it in 3 years. I think that will be more to my liking.

Edit: I think the flavor is not as weak as I thought last time I had it. I think the flavor renders this one very drinkable. The bitter hits hard upfront, but then fades, but doesn't completely die. This is a fine beer

08-22-2004 04:48:46 | More by kmpitz2
Sixpoint

3.68/5  rDev -10%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Don't believe the hype? I first tasted this beer a few years ago and reviewed it under my old profile. I find myself tasting it again and approaching it at another angle.

With so many hoppy beers on the market these days, the east coast breweries have not asserted themselves with their IBUs the way west coast brewers have.

As a result, I found this beer to be not as balanced! That right, I think their 90 minute IPA is actually more balanced than the 60. There's too much malt and not enough hops in the 60.

Overall, the taste is good... no oxidation, no dms, low to no diacytel. I do think the body of the beer is a little heavy to go with the current hop levels...

I give it slightly lower scores for the appearance because the bottle says it is bottle conditioned. Quick question... where's the yeast? Is this false advertising? I bought a six-pack and the first two bottles have absolutely no yeast in them. The beers are perfectly clear and I swirled the remaining 1/6th of the beer and added it to my glass. Nothing. What's up with that?

08-22-2004 03:55:13 | More by Sixpoint
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.2/5  rDev -46.2%

Pours a three-fingered white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Cloudy amber color. Very hoppy nose. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Nothing like the 90 & 120 minute IPAs Dogfish has, this is a 'normal' IPA that is loaded with hops - hopheads line up for this one. $2.00 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, Ma.

08-21-2004 22:56:18 | More by jdhilt
FormatKid

Tennessee

4.72/5  rDev +15.4%

Oh yeah, been waiting to try this one forever. Packaging is a twelve oz bottle with a cool, minimalist design. Packaged on date on the side indicates this one is pretty fresh.

Pours out into a classic vision of the style. TONS of carbonation bubbles roll up and form an ample, sticky looking, big-bubbled off white head. The body is a murky tangerine-orange color and continues to be very active with lots of carbonation through-out. Head-retention is nice, and keeps a nice cap of foam on the brew most of the way through.

The smell…juicy with fruity-hop aromas but there is a swelling of sweet malts there to accompany it very nicely. The hops come to me mainly as juicy citrus and apricot aromas…very inviting.

Well, if the hops were a bit subdued in the aroma, they make their big show in the taste. Although a nice sweet, sticky wave of malt dominates the front it is completely taken over by a beautiful fresh hop flavor. I’m almost getting a candy-sweet flavor in the middle, and a hint of yeasty nuttiness where the malts merge with the hops across my palate, it’s lovely. It’s spicy through-out and especially in the finish. Obligatory big citrus hop flavors in the finish as well. I can’t taste the alcohol in this one at all but I can feel it ever so slightly in my belly. The mouthfeel is medium, and hints at sticky at points...which in this instance, is a good thing.

I really, really enjoy this IPA, it did not let me down one bit and I had high hopes for it. Big and hoppy, but with subtle nuances as well. Now, can’t wait to try the other IPAs from DFH. Big ups jlervine for swinging through with this one!

08-18-2004 02:12:28 | More by FormatKid
blitheringidiot

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

On the hand pump at The Drafting Room in Springhouse, PA on August 4, 2004. Cludy, tawny orange pour with awesome cakelike head. Tons of sticky lace and head retention while this one goes back.

Soft grassy hops, piney, less sharp than the bottled version. Dry lasting lingered finish.

Flavors are just overall juicy hops with sweet smoothness that lead to a great feel and exceptional drinkability. Extra smooth and hoppy.

Last swigs: Great smooth cask conditioned gentle hop perfection. Our founding fathers would be proud.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

Serving type: cask

08-15-2004 03:59:13 | More by blitheringidiot
oracle

Indiana

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

20 oz imperial pint in a tradition english pint glass

beer arrived suprisingly clear and light amber with very thin head that fairly quickly faded to virtually nothing, but I've never seen a beer with such little head leave such a large amount of lacing all the way down.

Smell was pretty typical IPA hoppy with strong citrus doiminating and a hint of pine and alcohol underneath.

Taste was good. Nicely hoppy and dry, but there was a sharpness to the finish that I just didn't care for.

very good, but not one of the all time greats.

08-14-2004 01:25:23 | More by oracle
crookedhalo

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

Draught pours a clear golden copper color with a pretty short-lived light beige head. Medium to lower carbonation. There's a depth in the hop aroma that encompasses a grassy, botanical type aroma as well as some good, crystally homegrown. (Sorry for the non-beer suggestion, but hops are a genus cousin to marijuana, and the recognition is purely objective) Malt profile's a bit biscuity and sweet, but the dryness of the hop counterbalance this. It's wonderfully carfted, and a refreshing change of pace as opposed to other U.S. brewed IPAs. Unique hop profile that makes it wholly enjoyable in the American IPA style, it stands out.

08-11-2004 08:13:42 | More by crookedhalo
dave750

Rhode Island

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear red/gold in color with a medium white head that disappears rather quickly, but leaves some lace. Sharp hop aroma is joined by black pepper and leather with a hint of chocolate coming in late.
The crisp bitter hop initial taste remains strong to the finish. Chocolate blends in at mid-taste and strengthens toward the end. Zesty, herby hops and a bit of spearmint also emerge in mid-taste along with hints of oak and soil that fade in and out. Medim-thick body with very good carbonation and a good balance with a heavy bias to hops as per style.
A very drinkable beer. Bitter, but in a pleasing way. Enough other flavors present to balance the hops.

08-07-2004 21:11:43 | More by dave750
dmbfrat420beers

Germany

4.93/5  rDev +20.5%

Presentation - 12 oz. bottle that proclaims "the continually-hopped, bottle-conditioned India Pale Ale"

Appearence - Hazy orangish-amber hue with medium white head. Frothy lace hangs to the glass as you drink.

Aroma - Smacks of citrusy hops

Mouthfeel - light carbonation bite, slightly slick medium bodied feel.

Taste - slight malty sweetness that blends well behind a powerful citrusy hop precense - I always burp hops afterwards. Turns rather bitter (in a good way, IMO) at the end and leaves a bitter, clean taste that fills the back of your throat, mouth, and lips. I should add that there is something distinctly DFH about the hops in this IPA which I think sets it apart from all others - a sort of deeper, fruity/earthy taste that is unique to the DFH line. I can't adequately describe it, but try for yourself to see.

Drinkability - Unless you are averse to hops and a bit of bitterness, then the moderate alcohol and medium body make this a great session beer which goes down easily.

Final Words: From my description, this may seem kind of bland, but I promise you that this a great tasting brew. The first sip of every bottle immediately relaxes my whole body and mind. I think that it sets itself apart from other APA's and A-IPA's because of its full flavor and great balance. Not as intense as its 90- and 120-min cousins (or other bigger IPA's, for that matter) but an extremely well balanced, very hoppy, exceedingly enjoyable beer. I have to say that this is one of my all time favorites from my favorite style, and it's THE beer that got me into 'good' beer. Lacks the creativity of other DFH offerings, but is otherwise a pinnacle of microbrewery success.

08-02-2004 02:50:09 | More by dmbfrat420beers
oxmasterscream

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance: I poured this beer at the same rate I'd pour any beer into a glass but this beer behaved differently... so differently that there was almost an accident. The head built so quickly that before I knew it, I had only poured a third of the bottle and the head was at the top of the glass. Many BAs describe the size of the head with their fingers - In this case, it would've made more sense to measure the size of the beer, which appeared to be a side-effect of the head. The creamy, beige head was five fingers easy and very dense. It barely broke down but as it did, it began to look and feel like egg whites when they reach the "stiff peaks" stage. It was so bizarre. Its texture also resembled the top of a rootbeer float a bit too. The small amount of beer in the glass was a cloudy light amber color.

Smell and taste: As expected, this beer announced its all-hop bouquet right off the bat and with force. A blast of citrus, huge tangerine, some orange and grapefruit with a background aroma of grass and hay. Sometimes, I detected a slightly skunky characteristic (maybe from the yeast in the bottle?) in my nose and mouth. As I chewed through the mountainous head to get to the beer, things at first, tasted citrusy and spicy, maybe a little peppery. Towards the end of the taste, an ever-so-slight bitter tang was left on my tongue that begged me to drink more. As I finished the bottle and the beer had a chance to warm, other flavors began to expose themselves - mellow caramel malts, a sulfur taste I experienced more than a couple of times and oddly enough, something berry-like grabbed me right before I finished the entire beer (this confused me).

Mouthfeel and drinkability: It's medium-bodied and very carbonated (hence the massive head I suppose). The slightly higher ABV is barely noticeable. Nonetheless, this is a complex and exciting beer; It's captivating, like a great beer should be, and entirely drinkable. Had I had another I would've poured it immediately. It was so much fun to drink.

Note: This beer really surprised me. I'm not normally a hop-head, but for this beer, I found myself becoming one. This is a really unique beer and everyone should try it at least once. In fact, it left two other beers I tried later on the same night, tasting completely bland, and these were malty, bigger beers.

07-31-2004 10:58:39 | More by oxmasterscream
putnam

3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

I understand why this beer exists. I really do. And it is well crafted, with a fantastic looking pour, complete with fluffy, sticky mousse and deep amber color. But it's not "beer" nearly as much as it is hop infusion. And they are good hops, ambling the complete range from stern, pig iron bitterness to the most delicate, resiny mint aromatics. Pine, lemon, grapefruit, pot and sap are the only flavors in this "beer" and whatever malt component is there is strictly contributing body - not flavor. And as for yeast? Forget it. Any nuance of peppery, zesty fruit is obliterated by the hop extracts. The yeast contributed alcohol - nothing more.

Perhaps it's a love-it-or-hate-it beer. Then this must be a wishy-washy review. But I can't get away from the very negative answers to several of my usual quality questions: How much imagination did this require? How classic is it - how many generations of beer drinkers have endorsed it? Is it complex? Is there drama? Does it change as it is consumed? Is the last drink better than the first?

I'm afraid in years to come we will look back on this recipe as a caricature, a fad. It is a good demonstration of one important beer ingredient - but not "beer" itself; no more than pepper is steak au poivre nor more than pepperoni is pizza.

07-25-2004 00:28:44 | More by putnam
carln26

Missouri

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

I’d always been partial to the 90-minute version of DFH, but recent posts on this beer, made me come back to it. It pours clear gold to orange with a thick, rich white head. Small champagne bubbles rise from the bottom to renew the head, which settles pleasantly as a lace. The nose is amazing on this beer. It’s like putting your face in a pile of hops. Rich floral/grass/pine aromas rise from the glass. Just a hint of grapefruit too. The taste is an explosion of hop taste. A tongue awakening of flower, pine, and grapefruit, a mild sweetness comes from the malt. This has a very slick mouth feel, and seems very drinkable. I’m glad I picked up this 6 pack.

07-24-2004 23:49:58 | More by carln26
Maestro

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

This beer pours a golden orange with a nice foamy head. The lacing is quite intricate. The nose is all hops, with hints of caramel and sweet malt. The taste is all hops. It is hard to taste the malts that peek through in the nose. The beer is really good but one-dimensional. I would like to taste the malts a little more. The mouthfeel is a bit oily but still smooth and refreshing. The drinkability is great. I enjoy this IPA.

07-22-2004 22:31:53 | More by Maestro