60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
jsimon816

Maryland

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a pint glass, brewed-on date 5/14/06.

Nice clear golden tint with a tight frothy head.

Pleasant grassy smell.

Clean, smooth taste with a mellow hop aftertaste.

Pleasing mouthfeel, not over carbonated.

Very easy drinking beer, a great treat for the end of the work day.

09-21-2006 22:50:37 | More by jsimon816
simmons

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

This I think is Dogfish Heads best flagship beer because of its drinkabiity and how well ballanced it is. This beer looks like how many beers do, yellow in color, very clear, nice creamy white head and perfect carbonation were you see little bubbles rising from time to time. The aroma for this beer is just full of hops and is very floral. As for the taste there is a nice clean malt taste followed by a mild bitterness plenty of flavoring hops to make you smile. If im ever stuck on an IPA or just want something to sit back and enjoy this is my number one pic.

09-20-2006 00:03:52 | More by simmons
JohnnyM2002

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass at 50 degrees.

Pours a light golden with a short-lasting head...smells grassy and hoppy with some lemon lingering in the background. I was expecting a similar taste to the 90 minute IPA, and it resembles that...but not as well-balanced. There's a hoppy kick, but it borders being a little too bitter for my taste. The 90 minute is by far supreme, but this is a nice choice if none is available.

09-18-2006 01:44:38 | More by JohnnyM2002
cash22

3.3/5  rDev -19.3%

60 Minute IPA - 'The continually-hopped India Pale Ale.'

Serving Type - 12oz Bottle no freshness date
Apperance - nice amber with a small head
Smell - like hops!
Mouthfell - good, strong hop flavors true to the style

The 90 minutes seems more balanced with malt sweetness when compared to the 60. In my opinion the 60 has much more of a bitter bite to it.

09-17-2006 12:32:12 | More by cash22
TurdFurgison

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

DFH 90min is one of my all-time favorites, so I tried this "little brother" expecting to slam it somehow (something like "I know 90min, I'm friends with 90min, and you sir are no 90min").

But actually 60min has a lot going for it. Appearance is it's weakest attribute, due to clear and pissy yellow color (although the head was poofy which is nice). The smell and taste are really good, more malty than you see from most IPA's. Nice and thick mouthfeel, this came through as a strongly above average and well balanced IPA.

09-13-2006 23:28:27 | More by TurdFurgison
addmorehops

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

I have actually had this at the restaurant in Rehoboth and I'm sorry to say it has taken me 4 years to buy a six pack.

Broad flavors typical of AIPA with exceptional hop pallet and a unique but subtle smoky/oaky edge. Conservative hop blast compared to their 90. A must for hopheads looking for a good session beer or a good match for spicy food.

Cheers!

09-10-2006 02:12:17 | More by addmorehops
TechMyst

4.95/5  rDev +21%

Excellent Beer. No conditioning sting. Yellow with orange tinge (reflected color.) Foaming head quickly dissapating. Somewhat pine aroma. Dry smoked oak flavor. Wonderfully hopped, beautifully bitter! This is how beer SHOULD taste! I cannot wait to get my hands on the other higly hopped IPAs...

09-08-2006 05:30:28 | More by TechMyst
SilentSabre

North Dakota

3.7/5  rDev -9.5%

I must say, this was better than average, but just. Pour was a crystal clear medium golden straw with a white fluffy head that faded away in about 40 seconds. Several streams of CO2 bubbles steadily rise to fuel the patchy lace work that floats on the liquid's surface. Nice looking lacing sticks to the edges of the glass when tilted. Looks nice, but nothing super special IMO. Pine resin and citrusy grapefruit, while present, are more subtle than I was expecting. Smell is quite tame, indeed. The taste, like the smell, has your typical Cascade / Centennial hopped IPA characteristics, but again, isn't as assertive as I was expecting. Mouthfeel is fairly "par for the course" with a medium body and moderate carbonation. This is a good IPA. Not great or fantastic, simply good. I would, however, buy this again.

*I must give thanks to my mother for bringing this back from Florida for me, as DFH is not distributed in Ga. as of my writing this review. Thanks, mom!

09-06-2006 22:08:48 | More by SilentSabre
plaid75

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger white foamy head. There was good retention and excellent sticky lacing.

The smell was very well balanced. A strong peppery and citrus hop aroma was offset nicely by a sweet smelling biscuity malt.

The taste was a nice combination of peppery hop resin and butter cookies. A nice satisfying flavor. Mild huskiness.

The mouthfeel was full with a dry finish.

Overall a very drinkable AIPA. Very sessionable.

09-06-2006 02:54:21 | More by plaid75
cwachtel

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Pours a very nice light golden color...I expected a little deeper hue but thats not a negative. Thin head that disappears quickly but nicely laces the glass. I didn't find much in the way of hop aroma...I would have liked a little more. But that is more than made up for in the taste! Great hop flavor without overpowering the beer. Very well balanced. Mouthfeel and carbonation levels were perfect to me. Finishes well without leaving too much of a hoppy aftertaste.

I have found my new favorite IPA!

09-04-2006 19:49:44 | More by cwachtel
daliandragon

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Well balanced nose, with sweet chocolate malt flavorings to match the brisk hops. Body is a transparant light amber with a fluffy, fast-fading head and moderate lacing.

Big hops right out front in the flavor but its more gentle, round, bitterness than
the face puckering blast of the 90 minuute. Welll crafted, reminds me a bit of Brooklyn's IPA. Also, better balanced than most IPAs, with nutty malt runnning step for step with the hops.

Overall, a solid, sessionable IPA although I'm still looking for a trademark product from Dogfish Head to go gaga over but haven't found it.

09-04-2006 02:50:14 | More by daliandragon
jasonjlewis

4.58/5  rDev +12%

Like the 90 minute ipa but less bitter. I like the 90 minute better.

I had this beer after trying chimay and having a cherry wheat, because I wanted a hop fix, but not an overboard wone.

Appearance: Great, nice, large head, with good retention

Smell: citrusy, lemony, pleasant

Taste: Nice and bitter. I love the hop profile. A nice bite, but I don't find it overberaing. A lot of balance to the beer.

Mouthfeel+ drinkability: Very crisp. I could drink this beer all night. VERY VERY sessionable. Won't destroy the palate for changes to lighter styles.

09-04-2006 02:40:12 | More by jasonjlewis
diamondc

3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

My favorite beer style is definetly IPA and I found the 60 Minute IPA a tad overrated. The pour had a lot of head and the lacing was VERY sticky after the head coming down to one finger thickness. I'm not sure this is a good thing. After warming up I tasted more syrup'y citrus than the hops that I really like. I couldn't taste much malt or caramel like the other reviews. The 'born on date' was in April so I guess this was in the light too much or something. Maybe I need to try a bottle of the 90 to get the real deal IPA from Dogfish.

09-01-2006 06:29:40 | More by diamondc
quasimoto

3.45/5  rDev -15.6%

A - Light copper/ orange with nice bith frothy head that is lacing like a beast.

S - Piney citrus hops dominate this one Some floral, but not overpowering. Some dry crackery malts are in there with what appears to be some paper bag... Its still good though.

T - almost a biscuity malt is in there. But it is well balanced by the hops. There is lies the problem with me. I loathe amarillo hops. They are muddy and dry, and unpleasant.

M - Smooth mouthfeel. Nice and slick, slightly dries out on the end but not much.

D - Sam and Bryan....they are masters in my book of drinkable beers.

08-30-2006 23:56:47 | More by quasimoto
Deconstructionis

West Virginia

3.03/5  rDev -25.9%

I'm one who just doesn't get the fuss over this brewery. None of its beers which I've tasted much impress me but this is the most drinkable. I suspect that overpricing your products leads some to assume they must therefore be exceptional.

This pours a cloudy orange with a very sudsy pale tangerine head. The aroma is hoppy, sour citrus and the overwhelming pine that is omnipresent in the Dogfish IPAs. It's a medium/light bodied brew with high carbonation. Unlike the 90, and of course the 120, there is no unpleasant raw alcohol burn to drown out all flavor but the suspicion that the alcohol in the those is drowning out a tasty well balanced base proves false. the pine taste just dominates more in the absence of the alcohol, although with this one you can actually taste the malt.

All in all, it's not a bad ale but the only spectacular thing is the price

08-30-2006 12:35:53 | More by Deconstructionis
uconnalum2

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours an orange-brown color with a small head. Lots of hops smell. The taste is crisp and hoppy with some bitterness in the aftertaste. Nice smooth mouthfeel. Very drinkable. I had this on a hot day and it was refreshing and went down smooth. A decent beer to have on hand.

08-23-2006 03:35:39 | More by uconnalum2
MmmIPA

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

12 oz. poured into a pint glass.

A-Pretty light colored, very nice head.Very thick head at that also.Great retention.

T-Nice and hoppy,Smells of citrus,grapefruit.

S-Very hoppy,flowery and citrus smelling.

M-Very good,nice and bitter just the way I like em.The taste almost explodes in your mouth.

D-Loved it! I will pick up more,I wanna try the 90 minute ipa Dogfish offers.I wonder what the difference is.I would love to find this on tap, I reccomend to anyone who drools over ipa's.Very good Dogfish!

08-23-2006 03:08:43 | More by MmmIPA
BlindPig

3.7/5  rDev -9.5%

I feel like this brew is lacking for an IPA. It pours a light orange/copper color. Thin off white head. Smells citrusy hops. Maybe some grapefruit and orange? Taste is kind of weak. It's not as full on as I was expecting and will keep on expecting out of a IPA. Not to bitter. Has a lighter citrus hop flavor. The aftertaste is a light bitter but not near strong. I feel like this could be a Pale Ale. Its right on the edge between a IPA and a PA. Overall good brew but is lacking for me. It does go down very easy though.

08-22-2006 07:14:48 | More by BlindPig
rustymoore

Tennessee

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a golden amber with a nice thick head and good lacing. Almost as tasty as it's big brother the 90 min but it just doesn't quite do as well for a couple of reasons. First is the lower alcohol content...everyone wants more bang for their buck right? Second is the decrease in hop flavor...this one is just a little more watered down but overall I could drink this one more regularly because a more affordable price.

08-20-2006 21:47:32 | More by rustymoore
Gaisgeil

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

This i just a good, well made IPA, well suited to everyday drinking. Not over the top, but not middle of the road either. Pours a bright and clear gold in color with a loose white head with good retention. Nose is very nice, very hoppy and fresh some malt detectable. Taste is well balanced, but definitely hoppy and interesting; bold. Mouthfeel is a bit creamy, but light and refreshing. Drinkability is quite high, a good session candidate.

Slàinte!

08-19-2006 10:25:20 | More by Gaisgeil
MaltyGoodness

4.5/5  rDev +10%

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear apricot color with a small white head that thins. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a variety of hops including some piney and citrusy scents. There is also a bit of caramel maltiness luring around.

The flavor is very savory and mimics the smell. A well balanced blend of hops with an underlying caramel maltiness that are in harmony. Very well rounded.

Medium body, creamy texture.

This is a delicious beer and a great example of what this style can be. It's often in my fridge, and yet somehow this is the first time I have reviewed it.

08-19-2006 00:39:04 | More by MaltyGoodness
gmfessen

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a pint glass, beer has a nice head with lacing that loves to hang around. In appearance - clear golden colored brew, beautiful. It has a citrusy hop smell, with a taste to follow that actually has more of a malty taste than I would normally expect in an IPA. Medium body, with a creamy head. Overall, a good beer, very drinkable indeed. I would recommend trying this beer.

08-16-2006 00:29:06 | More by gmfessen
cjgator3

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours an orangey amber color with sticky white head that stuck all over the glass for the entire duration of the drink. Aroma is sweet malt and floral hops. Taste is delicious! Taste starts out sweet giving way to a nice bite from the hops. The sweet almost doughey malt does stand up well next to the hops. Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy that just makes the mouth drool. Overall, this is an excellent brew. DFH did a superb job on this one!

08-15-2006 22:31:07 | More by cjgator3
edbeered

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

This pours a very pale straw color, with a 1/4 inch white head that fades quickly, leaving a small amount of lace on the glass.The smell is of piney hops. The taste has elements of piney and citrussy hops, with a mild sweet malt backing, The hops are rightly dominant, but not overpoweringly so. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing. I would love to taste this on tap sometime. Nice one!

08-15-2006 19:56:55 | More by edbeered
hunteraw

China

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Pretty light in color, more gold than amber or orange. Moderate head, which leaves nice lace. Fairly clear.

Smell: Fresh hops aroma, of course. Pine and citrus. Some sweetness in the background.

Taste: Bready, bitter - a little sweeter than I remember it being the first time I had it. Hop notes are citrus, spice and grass.

Mouthfeel: A little thicker in the mouthfeel than I'd expected. Carbonation is perfect.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, sessionable, but expensive.

08-14-2006 22:06:06 | More by hunteraw