60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz bottle with a bottled on date of 6/25/07 served in a pint glass
60 Minute pours a slightly hazy light copper to amber color with a thin white head that dissipates pretty quickly. The smell is nice oily hops not just the usual citrusy hoppiness either it is a bit deeper here pretty piney as a matter of fact, it is actually quite refreshing for an American IPA. The taste is interesting the bitterness is on the high side but the hop flavor is subdued and I'm really only getting a lot of hoppy oily flavor. The malt flavor may be just a bit too light for this beer but since the bitterness isn't such a quick punch to the mouth like many other IPAs it doesn't really leave you looking for more malt. Mouthfeel is better than decent almost syrupy thick surprisingly thick for an IPA but again it works in this case. For an IPA with bitterness this high this beer is also surprisingly drinkable like I've said before this is a different kind of IPA, different in a good way it makes me wish some more American brewers would mix it up a bit and bring us a bit more with their IPAs.

fank2788, Aug 28, 2007

Pours a clear golden amber with orange hue. Pearl frothy head that laces as it dies to a collar. Smells of citrus and grassy with a tiny bit of spice and lots of hops. Tastes of hops but mildly so. Grapefruit, orange rind and pine. Finishes bitter. Feels medium in the mouth. This is a refreshing brew. An intro to the delicious IPA series by Dogfishead.

franksnbeans, Aug 26, 2007

Served on tap in clear pint glass and eaten alongside cheese pizza

A: Hazy golden with medium foamy head and lots of lacing

S: Piney, grassy hops with citrus

T: Oily hops with fully cooked malt flavor. Delicious.

M: Dry with nice long aftertaste

D: Excellent and no wonder it is a standard-bearer

argock, Aug 26, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Out of 12 oz bottle, no date.

a - pours a darkish gold color, with little head. Light amount of carbonation bubbling.

S - not as strong as I thought this IPA would be. Just a subtle hop character hits. A little of the malt flavor comes through.

T - Interesting flavor here - starts with more of a malt flavor, and then slowly transitions to a bitter hop note. Generally not a strong flavor. I do actually enjoy the aftertaste here, which seems to be the acid of the hops.

M - Has a smooth mouthfeel to it. Carbonation is generally light. Feels like good quality.

D - It flows down nicely for me. Its an interesting change of pace. I could drink one or two of these.

The high reviews of hophead beers on BA are starting to swing me - I'm actually craving it more. DFH is a good way to satisfy that craving.

katan, Aug 21, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

I was able to find this brew along with the 90 and 120-minute IPAs at my neighborhood beer store. I thought I'd go with the 60 since I don't have too many IPAs under my belt, and didn't want to overwhelm myself and make a harsh judgment on IPAs based on a 120. Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass dark gold. Very attractive 1-inch head that fades rather quickly. Smells of very light hops and a hint of citrus, but not overwhelming the nostrils. Probably not the most appealing scented beer, but still calls to be drunk. The taste was a pleasant surprise. Light hops taste with some hints of citrus, and amazingly light on the palette. Medium-bodied and not too carbonated. Overall, wonderful beer and probably a great IPA to start off with. If these were more widely available around where I live, Magic Hat and Dogfish's IPA would have to contend for my brew of choice to session with.

zerofear13, Aug 20, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into my pint glass out of a 12 oz bottle. This beer is a clear medium deep golden color. Head is about half an inch thick when poured. Settles to a thin surface film layer withing 5 minutes of being poured with a nice white ring lining the inside of the glass and some good lace. Aromas of pine, citrus, and hops are strongly present. Tastewise the pine hops and a citrus, grapefruit like taste are present. As the beer warms, a malty sweetness becomes more apparent. A hint of spice is also present. Very good balance here. Finishes clean. Has a full bodied, crisp and smooth mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink, especially as it warms up a bit. I think this beer is an excellent example of the style.

Eric

neenerzig, Aug 20, 2007
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A good standard AIPA. Bright piney hops flavors combine with slightly carmel maltiness. But the hops are the real winners in this combination. Bitterness is great for style, though slightly too much for my mouth at this time. And while the lacing is great, the color is kinda yellow and doesn't give the best impression to my eyes. All in all a beer I would enjoy again, but would probably choose it's big brother beers first over it.

zdk9, Aug 19, 2007
2.33/5  rDev -43%

Serving Size is a standard 12fl.oz bottle

Appearance: Pours a clear golden yellow w/ a very slight head. Leaves some lacework behind

Smell: hops w/ a touch of malt sweetness

Taste: Crisp w/ an immediate taste of grapefruit?! Goes from sweet to sour and just gets a little more sour

Mouthfeel: A little rough at times on the palate

Drinkability: Worth a try but I don't care for the Grapefruit like taste

I'm just not a fan of this drink like others are. Maybe I'm not a fan of IPA's in general....that being said this drink is somewhat enjoyable and goes down pretty well, I just don't like the taste I get which makes me shy away from the drink. I'll try the 90minute and give it a shot

livingregret, Aug 17, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

This classic brew pours a solid orange with big-time citrus aromas hitting you with some hoppy pine sap smells also there. Taste is alive with hop oils and a little bit of citrus and pine needles. This brew is thick and in your face with a nice grapefruit-like aftertaste. This is a big beer, more drinkable than the 90-minute and 120-minute incarnations. This is a real American classic.

saintwarrick, Aug 15, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

A nice dark golden color and a scent like walking through the wood in a perfect summer day when the wildflowers are in complete bloom and the leaves of hundred year old trees shade the trail...Well, maybe that's a bit over the top but the brewery itself is fond of pushing itself that way sometimes and it is fun to play along and the claims I just made are kinda/sorta spot on what I was thinking before I turned the volume up on them there.
The most important part of this "continually hopped India Pale Ale" made by the people who proudly claim that they make "off centered ales for off centered people" is how it tastes. I dunno what kind of weird experiments the Dogfish Head brewmasters out in Delaware are doing to their hops but I hope they keep doing it. GRAPEFRUIT!!! That's what I'm tasting? It's all about the hops here and they have have this total sour-n-sweet smack and a sharp and spicy yet somewhat clean finish. Tart yet sweet...Bitter yet sparkling. If you're one of those people who likes the balance and complexities between the hops and malt this may not be your thing but if you're not afraid of hoppy zing as I am but sometimes feel that a twist and turn needs to be thrown into the works every now and then this 6%er totally hits the spot.

Dalem, Aug 15, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

This Dogfish Head pours a beautiful, clear, golden hue with a compact, bright, white head of foam that leaves some thick lacework as it slowly falls. I can't quite place the aroma...it's almost neutral, perhaps a hint of toasted grain?

This beer tastes great; with crisp, cedary hop flavors that work well with the simple toasted malt flavors. A touch of orange citrus hops character comes out after this warms up. The mouthfeel is wonderfully smooth enhancing the overall experience. The clean and balanced finish enhances drinkability, but lacks the bitter smack of hops that one would expect in an IPA.

Overall, a very clean, drinkable IPA that lacks complexity, but scores high in its drinkability.

marcobrau, Aug 13, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

I am surprised I had not reviewed this.

A-Pale copper hue with a shaving cream thick two finger off white head. A nice stream of bubbles replaces it. Nice lace.

S-Piney/grapefruity soapy hops and a twinge of malt sweetness.

T-Crisp up front with the grapefruit hops hitting on the follow through. Goes from sweet to bitter to very bitter on the aftertaste, maybe slightly soapy but very refreshing. the toasted malt sweetness comes out with the pretzels I am eating.

M-Creamy and rich, on the thicker side with a tight carbonation that is damned near perfect.

D-This is an above average IPA, a great beer that can be sessioned. Very well balanced despite being well hopped.

sleazo, Aug 10, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Simple bronze color with a gold hue to it. Head is above average, decent creamy sand colored base.

S: Grapefruit rind, cantelope, little bit of watery OJ, basic breadiness with just a hint of pine in the lows.

T: Begins sort of watery with a mild orange juice sweetness. A hint of lime zest prowls through with a caramel base ensuing quickly. Little bit of dirty pine bitterness with some metallic aspects. Finishes sort of grainy across the back sides of the tongue and long lingering bitterness

M: Thin and hard across the palate.

D: Smells way better than it tastes.

Westsidethreat, Aug 08, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Man I love this beer!

C - clear, pale gold
A - Smooth, smooth hops - you know it has a strong hop aroma if I can smell it.
T - Great hop smack. Perfect blend of bitterness to aromas (as expected from the amount of dry hopping they do).
M - good solid carbonation.

I picked this up at the brewery and it was bottled three days ago!

Perfect drinkability and solid head retention on this one.

pieper, Aug 08, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

(Bottled on 6/11/07, enjoyed on 8/5/07) I started pouring slowly, then slightly toward the hard side about halfway through this 12 oz bottle and I still got barely any head out of this thing. Regardless, it is a beautiful light brown color I love to see in my IPAs.
Smells citrusy and hoppy, but not as downright sexy as I'd like.
On first sip the sweetness hits big and the hops follow it up bigger, which suddenly drop out for half a second and then come back big again. COOL. I like that, almost makes me forget about the big sweetness up front (I hate that).
The beer goes down ultra smooth. Great mouthfeel, no doubt about it.
Not my favorite IPA but worth a try nonetheless. Definitely one of the better ones out there.

Buttstorm, Aug 05, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

I can't believe I have never reviewed this one yet...it's one of my go-to beers.

60 Minute pours a copper-amber color with a with a 2+ finger head of off-white bubbles. Sticky lacing marks the glass after each sip.

Good, hoppy aroma. Cirtus, floral, some lighter caramel to help balance it. It's an IPA and it smells like one.

I love the flavor of this one...maybe it's because it's one of the first IPAs that made me say say "damn...I love these hop things". The hops show up in a broad range of flavors from citrus to floral to pine. Just enough malt sweetness to make it really enjoyable and to keep from looking like that guy in the old Keystone Light commercials. You know the ones..."bitter beer face".

Nice medium body with average carbonation. Drying, slightly bitter aftertaste has me longing for another sip. These go down so easily, especially on-tap, that I can get into some trouble if I am not careful. Don't take my word for it, though, pick up a sixer for yourself.

Imstillthegman, Aug 05, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. This bottle has been aged in my fridge for 2 months and 12 days.

Yeast suspension was very present. Good head with a thick white lacing that hugs the glass.

Floral hop is big on the nose. Malts are present along with a musky yeast smell.

Lots of hop burn, with oil and herbal notes. The malts hold there own against the hops. The yeast gives a nice alcohol note. The finish is bitter from all the hops. Not surprising, but very welcome.

Great IPA. You can drink it like water and it's not expensive at all.

ghostmech007, Aug 05, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +1%

Color: Light Orange, Off-White (Cream-Colored) Head

Smell: Fresh, Clean 'Piney' Hop Smell

Taste: Mildly Sweet, Distinct Hop Character with a Grassy/Earthy Aftertaste--"Tastes like it's Green"

Body: Lighter-Bodied, Bubbly

Feel: Semi-Clean Finish with Moderate Bite. Slight, Noticable Build-Up Under Tongue

Drinkability: Obviously less hopped than 90/120 min, but would believe I could enjoy 2-3 of these in a single sitting.

Other: Good Sipping Summer Beer

Personal Rating: 80%

foxmul924, Jul 30, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Light copper-yellow color with a 3-finger off-white head that really holds with some lacing. A nice hoppy aroma with light citrus highlights and a hint of banana I thought. The flavor is a beautiful hop/malt blend with a floral finish. A bit of alcohol noted and a fairly creamy feel. Very full bodied and flavored but so nicely blended that I think you could easily handle a few or more of these at a time.

Durge, Jul 29, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

A - Light orange-brown. Not much head, but very nice lacing as the beer goes down.

S - Getting some citrus, a little bit of apricot.

T - Citrus and apricot up front, and plenty of hop bittering on the back end. Just a touch of alcohol.

M - A little sharp at first from the carbonation, but not bad. Full, but not smooth or soft. You know it's in there.

D - I like this beer. I've been on a bit of a beer journey lately, and I said "I won't go back if I forget to review a beer." For this beer I broke that rule, because I thought it deserved it. A nice solid example of a IPA.

enfield249, Jul 27, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.89. It seems to have become a regular offering, as it's been available for several months now. No freshness date.

The beer poured a hazy orange-copper color with a big off-white head that took some time to drop. Sheets of lace were left on the sides of my EWU pintglass.

Not surprisingly, the nose was hoppy. I got hints of lemon and peppery spices, along with a bready maltiness in the background.

The first flavor that hits the taste buds is an herbal hop bitterness. The lemon-like citrus flavor noted in the smell is more restrained in the taste. Once again, the bready malts can be tasted in the background. This tasted good, but not as good as the nose. It seemed like a better balance could do wonders for this beer.

The body seemed to me to be a litle too light. The mouthfeel was moderately oily, but less so than many IPAs I've had in the past.

A good IPA, but not one that blows my socks off. All things considered, I'd rather have the 90 Min.

woemad, Jul 25, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -10%

Appearance - Transparent golden/copper in color with a 1 finger head that quickly dissipates into thin froth across the top of the glass. It has a constant stream of bubbles that rise to the surface of the glass.

Smell - Slight scent of hops and the tiniest bit of malt. Extremely bready. Also the scent of grains, something grassy.

Taste - The first taste is an immediate hop bite. Though immediate, it is not overpowering, and is very well balanced with the malt. Tastes like citrusy liquid hop bread.

Mouthfeel - Great level of carbonation. Slight dry feel in the finish. Light to medium bodied.

Drinkability - Very good. Goes down very smooth and is easily sessionable at 6% ABV.

A decent IPA, but I would rather have an Avery IPA or a HopDevil. When it comes to Dogfish Head, I will reach for the 90 Minute everytime.

MiguelMandingo, Jul 23, 2007
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a clear, light copper color. Nice, thick, off-white head. Wonderful cascade hop nose with some caramel sweetness and a bit of grassiness. Medium-full body. Well balanced. Lots of hop flavor and not too bitter. Good, lively mouthfeel and the drinkability was excellent.

Pretty good IPA. Not over-the-top. I liked it.

shererjt, Jul 23, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

I tried this for the first time last summer, and it became one of my favorite beers, a status it retains even after I have tried many more. The 60 Minute pours a clear amber with a frothy head that sticks around, leaving lace all the way down the glass. To the nose, it betrays pine and citrus hops with traces of grain that are present as well in the taste. It's not too bitter like many IPAs, the hoppiness is more aromatic and at the edges of your palate rather than the donkey-punch many deliver. At the end a faint maltiness that blends well with the outdoorsy hops and it doesn't feel like you're left with IPA dragon-breath. It is clear and refreshing feeling in the mouth, light, it's not going to coat your mouth or anything, and at 6%, I could drink these all day and all night. Dogfish Head's staple IPA is my favorite example of the style.

robrobrob, Jul 17, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Served a nice crisp light amber with a thin diminishing head. Nice pine hops in the aroma with some citrus present as well. The taste is very well balanced with citrus dominating the hop profile. The beer is very refreshing and light for 6%. This is definitely one of the best widely available IPAs.

atsprings, Jul 16, 2007