60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours very light golden orange, small sudsy white head. Retains well and leaves some lacing. Good smell, citrus, a little tropical fruit and a slight bready scent. Taste is faint, but good. Light citrus, apricot, and a light tropical zest to it. Floral hops with a slightly bready finish. Taste suffers as it warms up however. Mouthfeel is a bit thin but helps but the highlight of the beer which is drinkability. Kind of falls in the same category as SN Pale Ale - well-liked and accessible for the masses, easy to drink and but also quite tasty. I'm noticing it becoming more and more commonplace in bars which is good. A great beginner IPA.

3.68/5  rDev -10%

bottled on 12/22/09.

Clear golden with light orange hues, nice lacing, an egg shell white head, about an inch and half thick.

Two months in the bottle aromatics are earthy, minty, slightly grapefruity hops with a yeasty ringwood nose.

Some earthy lightly lemon hops upfront in the flavor and a bold crisp malt, very bread dough slightly sweet sugar cookie, very clean and crisp. A little bit of pine and oak in the finish.

Hop bitterness is right on, lighter side of medium body, very slight alcohol warming, mostly accentuated from the bitterness.

Extremely drinkable, I have to say the beer is night and day on draught and in bottle, but I have had eight month old bottles that exhibit really interesting notes. I prefer it fresh and on draught, but a solid IPA.

4.24/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured a clearer than expected fine bubbling champaigne fizzing bottle into pint glass to fit the good firm off-white head. Good lace from long-lasting foam. Very delish hop smell wide and blossomy. Taste of hops all around just barely noticeable light malt, with good thoroughly encompassing solid mouthfeel hanging bitter on tongue for quite a while after each swallow. Maybe it's just in my mind, left from what I've read about the continuous hopping method in this brew, but I'm getting tongue news that hops are of all sorts except citrus, and all giving their every sort of taste to this excellent ale. The hop bitterness I love is in this beer solid, elegant, thorough, tho lacking the sharper more acid edge some hop blossoms can contribute.
I'd drink this all the time if it cost $3 less per six-pack. Even at its current price, I'm honored when I feel rich enough to get it on my IPA rack in kitchen fridge.

3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

Worth a try.

A - Medium gold. Decent head.

S - Earthy burnt toasty smell, which was surprising for it's color. I really liked that it had that kind of unusual complexity considering the style. Nice hop aroma.

T - Balanced hop bitterness with a touch of sweet malt. Not complex, but balanced and tasty.

M - Clean, yet coating and viscous.

D - Good, but the bitterness adds up quick on this one.

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

A- poured a golden orange color with a nice foamy white head that dissapates quickly. thin lacing

S- biscuity/caramel malt with some grapefruit/pine hop trying to hide the alcohol. (i say trying cuz i can detect it)

T- same as smell.

M- medium light bodied. good carbonation.

D- can work a 6 no problem.

Overall- this to me is a good starter ipa but not really a hop head's ipa. the malt just comes out alil to much and the hops could be alil more attacking but whatever... i would put this in a great beer classic category but just not a hoppy ipa for me. pick up a 6 if you haven't tried it. you won't be upset.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

A pale yellow colour with thick white head and lacing down the glass. Basically, looks like you'd want an IPA to look like. Has a nice citrusy hop smell, with maybe a bit of grassyness to it. The citrus hop flavour is there, with some pine and malt. Quite a nice IPA. I could drink several of these in a row easily.

I think this was the first IPA I ever had when I first started to get into beer. Plus its one of the few American IPA's we can get in Ontario, and I typically compare every IPA to this as my baseline for what I want in a single IPA.

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

I was surprised given the experimental and forward thinking nature of Dogfish Head that I gravitated toward the 60 Minute when looking for what in my mind has become a classic IPA.

The pour was decent but the head retention was definitely lacking. There was almost nothing of the head left by the time I put the glass down after pouring.

The citrusy smell of hops was perhaps the best part of the experience. The bitterness was nicely balance and was not over powering. Definitely a nice relaxed Dogfish beer to have with a larger group.

3.68/5  rDev -10%

Another beer I can't believe I've yet to review.

A: The pour is a clear light amber color with a thin white head which dissipates to a thin layer but leaves some nice sticky lacing.

S: The nose is mildly hoppy with some pine and grapefruit. There's quite a bit of toasty, bready malt in the background as well.

T: The flavor is more reminiscent of a pale ale than an IPA. The bitterness is there with some nice resinous pine quality, but not all that much in the way of citrus character. The malt is again toasty and fairly pronounced on the front end.

M: The body is medium with a low to moderate level of carbonation and a lingering bitterness on the tongue.

D: As I mentioned, this is quite similar to a pale ale and as such, is quite easy to drink. Certainly one of the tamer DFH offerings, but sometimes that's a good thing.

Now that I've acquired a bit more knowledge in terms of beer and further developed my palate, I've decided to re-visit some of the beers I rated early on. This, one of my personal favourites, happens to be one of them. This re-rating resulted in a slightly lower mark.

Pours a clear and brawny orangey-gold with a finger and a half of creamy white head that displays decent retention and leaves large sticky patches of lace.

Fresh pine, grapefruit rhine, a bit of pineapple, and a nice hefty dose of bready malts, with a touch of caramel in the nose.

Hoppy goodness coming from the citrus and pine notes hit the palate first and gradually move to the sides of the mouth, making way for the sweet buttery and bready malts.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, creamy, and displays an all around good balance between malt and hops.

This beer not only made the American IPA my favourite style, but also really opened my eyes to the craft beer industry. I'm a bit disappointed that it turned out not as good as I remembered it to be, but I'm sure I was a bit nostalgic about it from the time I first had it to now. Still none the less an excellent American IPA, and one that I'll be happy to buy time and time again.

3.61/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance - Golden orange, just shy of amber, with about two fingers of head on the pour. As the glass empties a kind of fog hovers over the liquid line, but never seems to dissipate. Little bit of lacing.

Smell - Grassy hops, sourdough bread, little bit of grapefruit, and a faint whiff of alcohol.

Taste - Grassy, piney, resiny hops flavor. There's a little bit of citrus in the backdrop, but it's not a key player; this is definitely an East Coast IPA. A sweet malt character comes in toward the back end, and finishes a little dry, but not too dry.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth, but at the same time it didn't seem like it was missing any carbonation. A dry, slightly oily finish.

Drinkability - This is a smooth, tasty East Coast IPA that the average beer drinker and the craft brew fan might find common ground.

3.51/5  rDev -14.2%

A - pours a faint copper with a foamy 1/2 finger head

S - Piney hops dominate; there are also some malts present

T - Taste is very similar to the nose. The palate is dominated by piney hops; there are some citrus hops present, but they are very much overshadowed by the pine. There is also a nice sweet and grainy malt backbone to help balance some of the hops. Overall, this is a very bitter IPA.

M - smooth and full bodied with some good carbonation

D - This was a good IPA. The hops are almost too much though as the bitterness took something away from the drinkability of this one for me.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

A: bronze/golden beer, great head with a regular poor. Tuns of lacing.

S: Hoppy, but I find a hint of a biscuity smell.

T: wonderful, simply great. I would drink a case of this if i could handle the alcohol.

M: The mouthfeel is alright, you can feel the carbonation.

D: I'm not sure about this one, the alcohol content is solid, but the problem with this is the fact that it can fill you up rather quickly. If your trying to go all night i wouldn't recommend this craft. However if your going for just a couple of brews, I would recommend this one in a heartbeat.

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

A-poured into a pint glass a nice rich head about 1/4 in.bone white with nice sticky lacing. Golden/amber color that is very clear,and has a good amount of carbonation.

S-earthy hops with an underlying piney nose. Can smell a nice amount of caramel and biscuity malt in the backround as well.

T-distinct hop flavor with a nice lemon zest and earthy fruits. Piney oils are on the tongue as the beer disipates. Nice clean finish without too much sweet caramel.

D/M- very nice and smoth IPA. Wonderful velvety texture and smooth finish.

4.01/5  rDev -2%

a- nice two finger creamy head that fizzles down to a half a finger that doesnt give up. some thick lacing at the top. very good carbonation inside the honey tan liquid. thick long lacing like marshmallow lace

s- caramel citrus syrup with pine sprinkled in

t- there is caramely sweetness with a dry finish balanced with big hops, citrus grass and pine, the bitterness just rounds it out. a little bready, mostly it stays sweet to me.

m- smooth, soft and enjoyable carbonation, just a little sappy

d- 6% is above what i typically call session beer but Dogfish Head doesnt play around. goes down slow

goes well in spaghetti sauce

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured 12 oz. bottle into DFH signature glass.

A-white thick lasting head sits atop a light copper colored beer. Carbonation strong.

S-american citrus hops / slight malt flavor.

T-balanced slightly more on the hops compared to the malt but it has caramel sweetness w/ a little added complexity from the English ale yeast I think.

M-light body which makes it very drinkable.

Overall great fairly easy drinking (session-able) ipa with enough hop aroma and subtle complexity to keep it interesting.

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%

My fav IPA for drinkability.

A- Nice golden sunset color.

S- Citrus aroma with a slight bread smell.

T- Great balance for an IPA. Hoppy but also Malty.

M- Good mouthfeel.

D- I could easily drink more than one of these, that's impressive since I am not a huge IPA fan.

3.67/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Apearance - Pours a light yellow with an orange hue. A decent 2 finger head the left good lacing.

Smell - Hoppy citrus smell right off the back, following by a slight bread scent. The scent is well balanced.

Taste - Taste similar to the smell, citrus and hops. It is a little weak, and I didn't get that nice bite that you can get from some other IPA's.

Mouthfeel - Good mouthfeel, not overly dry like some IPA's can be. I can taste the alcohol, sometimes tastes like it could be even higher than 6.00%.

Drinkability - I could drink a few of these, they go down pretty easily.

Overall, it is a pretty solid beer, and a decent IPA. It's good, yes, but I think it is a little overhyped.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Overall a very good IPA as you can see by the marks, but I was expecting more. I have had it before, but never to write a review on and compare to other beers.

Maybe it is all the hype I hear about how good it is, but I think Harpoon makes an IPA that rivals it.

Definitely a smooth beer, you can tell its quality ingredients, the consistency is excellent, excellent appearance, pour is great, but the taste is lacking a little bit for me, needs a little more flavor, maybe more thickness would be the thing.

I will try the 120 next, maybe that is the ticket, but the 60 minute is just above average for me, esp. at $9.99 for 6. Needs more.

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a clear, golden-orange color with about an inch of frothy head. Bubbles rise to the surface by the thousands. I dig how the foam doesn't totally die out...even after I let the beer warm for a few minutes there is still a nice layer of frothy, hoppy goodness waiting for me.

This has a very nice hop smell; spiced pine and citrus aromas abound, with a hint of sweetness fighting for attention in the background.

Mmm. The taste is really very good. Now I wish I had compared this head-to-head last night with Founders Double Trouble because the profile is similar. The hop presence is definitely floral and piney. Carbonation is moderate and it gives way to a smooth and lingering display of sour citrus - sort of like an orange with a lot (but not all) of the sugar removed.

The head is a fighter and it's trying to stay alive as I work my way down to the halfway point. The rings on the side of the glass are creeping up on perfection. The head contributes to a fuller mouthfeel - creamy in some respects but thin in others.

This is a great IPA. I should disclaim that I've grown to be somewhat of a DFH "fanboi," and I think that this beer is illustrative of the fact that their product lines deal in varying degrees of perfection. One of these days I'm going to hit the 60, 90, and 120 in chronological progression because I think each is the perfect preface to the next.

3.92/5  rDev -4.2%

12oz bottle into a pint glass, producing a golden honey color with a light, foamy white head. Left mild lacing in the glass.

Smelled of citrus and hops, also getting a little sweetness.

Taste pretty much followed the nose, a little pine in there, mild grapefruit, sweetness is present, followed by a little bitterness on the finish.

Seemed a little thick in the mouth, and the spices stuck around.

A drinkable IPA, not as intense as others, but one I would have again.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

As good as any IPA that I ever have. Everything about it is the quintessential IPA. Really good hop aroma, great hop flavor, perfect color; just a great ipa from every point. I had this on a very hot day and it was a little strong for that but this is a never-miss IPA.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Pours a orange-yellow hue with a thick white fluffy head. Aroma has mixes of citrus, spice, and grain. Taste pretty much follows the aroma only the spice part is a little bit stronger. Good thickness and carbonation; not too much alcohol in the taste, so it could be an anytime beer. Although for an IPA, I expected a slightly higher alcohol %.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

A- Pours a light yellow with an orange hue. Two inches of foamy white head that last awhile. Lots of rising carbonation. Lots of lacing.

S- Citrus, pineapple, a candy like sweetness, and faint hints of bread. The scents are subtle, balanced, and welcoming.

T- The taste follows the nose. The flavors are very good but a little week for an IPA.

M- The mouth-feel is awesome, very wet and refreshing, with great balance between light body and medium carbonation. Not quite what I want in an IPA. Almost feels like a good lager.

D- I could quaff many of these. Almost as easy to drink as water.

F.T.- This is one of the best beers that Ive had, but I scored it low because I dont find the taste and mouth-feel true to the style.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Dark golden amber with a nice white head. The lacing is decent.

S: Grapefruit and citrus hops for sure. A little bit of a candy sweetness in there as well.

T: Great bitter pine hop taste, with a slightly fruity backing. This taste should be the standard for IPAs. Also, the first beer off of a new keg, doesn't get much better.

M: Very smooth with great carbonation.

D: Lower ABV combined with an excellent taste, easy to put several down.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

My favorite seesion IPA hands down.

A- clear dark golden color, with a slightly off-white thick foamy head that leaves way to good lacing on the glass.

S- Citrusy fruity hop aroma, with a slight malt backbone. great aroma for an IPA in my opinion. very inviting.

T- well balanced between malt and hop. first impression is of malty,nutty sweetness. gradually works its way into great citrusy grapefruit hops. mild bitterness in the finish but is very pleasing.

M/D- good mouthfeel, light-medium bodied. perfect for this beer. this is my session IPA when im in the mood to drink more than 1 or 2 IPAS.

60 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery