60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

I really like this I am surprised it took this long to get around to reviewing it.

This is a model beer for a east coast style ipa well balanced and very smooth.

A - golden copper small head clear liquid.

S - light citruis with a light malt smell as well.

T - rally nice crispy, smooth really nice.

m - has a malt feel that stays around abit.

D - was one of the few craft beers available at disneyworld at full service restaurants as well as a regular resort beer. This is good stuff and is very drinkable !!!

3.87/5  rDev -5.4%

Good beer nothing specia

bitterness or hopps flavor is much weaker then most IPAs that i have had however it was just as flavorful as the others
maybe more since the hopps did not over power the beer

if drinking more then one IPA is too much for you i would suggest this one

color is golden

beer does not keep a head

12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass
Pours a golden amber with a 2-finger head which dissapates to a thin film. Lacing isn't heavy but present throughout. Nose is floral, a mild hop smell of grapefruit, resin and grass. Mouthfeel is light to medium with carbonation evident. Taste is, at first, some citrus bitterness, then some malt sweetness kicks in - caramel, brown sugar, bread. Finish is some mild leafy bitterness. I wouldn't say this is a perfectly balanced brew but it is refreshing. For the price, ABV and availability, this is a go-to beer for me often.

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. It has a nice, deep golden color, with a solid, rocky, foaming head. The aroma is strong hops, pine and zest from the northwest varities that are used, with interlaced citrus notes (some say oranges, I think lemon). It has a firm and warming mouthfeel. The flavor profile on this I.P.A. is admirable due to its balance. There is a solid malt background here to compliment the hops. On the other end the warrior hops they use give it a nice, powerful bitterness that at the same time is so clean it's amazing. The amarillo and whatever their "mystery" hop is remind me of cascade on steroids. There is pine zest a plenty to take your palate on tree climb. Dogfish Head describes this as a "sessionable" I.P.A., which brings a smile to my face. In its own, Sam Calagione inspired way it is just that.

My second pint at Pour 24 (New York, New York), Las Vegas.

After the Stone Ruination IPA this seemed a bit watery and weak, my fault for the other I ordered them I suppose.

Hops, like all US IPA's this tries to outhop the next brewery, it failed though.

Pleasant mix of hops for aroma and bitterness, but laked the umph I'd just had with the Stones beer.

Can I call it an average US IPA?

4.26/5  rDev +4.2%

An exceptional looking brew: amber golden in hue, only slightly opaque. Creamy head, superb retention, lots of lacing on the glass. What more can I ask for?

Nose is also superb: cereal malts, caramel, cream or butter, pine, and herbal hops.

One of the best IPAs I've had to date. Smooth, yet complex. The hop bitterness is kept well in check by a bready malt character, with a touch of caramel for sweetness. A lasting, bitter finish. Great stuff.

Mouthfeel is slightly creamy, slightly thin, decent carbonation.

I can't believe I've taken so long to review this brew... I can probably only handle a bottle or two in a setting, so its sessionability is pretty low, but as a sipper, it's fantastic.

Superb.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Mostly clear and very effervescent, 60 minute IPA appears a light orange hue and has a decent sized head that leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is not as big as I prefer, but what's there is pretty decent. Fresh hops with a good malt backbone.

T: The first thing I noticed was that this beer was fresh. It's extremely important to drink IPA beers fresh, especially if reviewing. Next, this beer is considerably better on draft than in a bottle. That being said, 60 minute IPA was much tastier than I expected or remembered. In particular, the balance of hops and malts was very well done.

M: Clean, with crisp carbonation and a bitter finish.

D: High drinkability. A solid beer. Easy to toss back a few of these.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

12oz bottled May 12, 2010.

Pours clear golden amber with a large three-finger off white head that starts off very pillowy and rocky, leaving some nice lacing. Reduces to a ring and wispy cap and doesn't really leave much lace aside from what's left of the original head.

Aroma is citrus, floral hops, some grass and a little pine, some light bready malt. Inviting, but only moderately strong aroma.

Flavor is quite juicy and hoppy with good bitterness, citrusy, particularly oranges, some earth, grass, a bit of malt sweetness in the middle. Finishes with good bitterness and just a touch sticky.

Medium bodied, medium carbonation, goes down easy.

First time I've had 60 Minute in quite a while, glad I jumped on this fresh batch, very nice.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

overall, this was a fantastic beer. it poured golden amber and smelled of citrus. as the beer warmed, it smelled very sugary as well as a strong note of citrus. tasted clean and smooth, left a hint flavor after finished. i enjoyed this it, very refreshing on a warm evening

From 5/20/10 notes.

a - Pours a golden-amber color with an inch of white head and light carbonation.

s - Smells mostly of piney and citrus hops.

t - Tastes of piney hops, citrus hops, smooth caramel malts. Some bitterness from all the hops.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Smooth and easy to drink.

d - 60 Minute is a pretty good IPA. Has some nice pine and citrus hops and a little bit of bitterness. Have had many times and will definitely have again; a standard go to IPA.

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

This truly is an exceptional IPA
The benchmark of where an American Style IPA wants to be. Makes you want more
You need to drink this beer!
Great tickly nose, complex, bitter withour being spiteful.Long clean finish Wonderful drinkability. Keep them coming DFH!

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Pours a clear light yellowish-orange. 1" of a medium-to-short lived light, white head with only light lacing.

S: Strong toasted coffee and chocolate smells. Like a Left-Hand Milk Stout in an IPA.

T: Sweet chocolate malts with a light caramel finished with a coffee hops that layers on the mild bitterness sip after enticing sip. Alcohol is undetectable.

M: Smooth medium body. Good carbonation.

D: While this doesn't possess the bitterness that I tend to look for in an IPA, the interesting flavor profile, full-bodied lightness, and satisfying yet pallet-saving, layered hop bitterness make this very drinkable. Definitely would drink again. - AB

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark, slightly cloudy golden color. A modest off-white head forms, retaining small islands on the top of the beer throughout. Slight sticky lace.

Smell: Pine hops is the first thing I notice, but there is a strong sweetness here as well. Toffee malt, citrus hops, and a resiny aroma all round out the nose.

Taste: Tingly, fresh, and juicy. A sweet and a biscuity malt are both present, almost fighting against the impending hops. Don't worry, the hops win. A touch of spice before citric hops lead the hop profile. A mild alcohol flavor sneaks through along with a resiny pine hoppiness. Leaves a light bitter, oily aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Great creamy feel, backed by strong carbonation. It feels great sitting in my mouth, and while I enjoy the smooth creaminess, the carbonation goes about lifting any oils off my tongue. Some hop oiliness, but not too extreme.

Drinkability: Not a truly exceptional taste, but the smooth and creamy mouthfeel complements the taste so well, vastly increasing the drinkability. A long time standby, I am glad I finally reviewed it.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a clear amber color with a small white head and low carbonation.

Scent of caramel, leafy hops, a hint of resin, sugars, and grain. Pretty malty for an IPA, but not too malty.

Taste of caramel, grain, grassy, bitter hops, tropical fruit, and some sugar. A nice balanced IPA with a good amount of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium light bodied and slick.

4.19/5  rDev +2.4%

Served in pint glass. The beer pours surprisingly light golden in color with a decent off-white head that thins to a film. The lacing that this beer leaves is more like a wall, impressive.

The aroma is hoppy floral and grassy, but very smooth and backed up with a brown sugar sweetness. The flavor is well balanced between a strong hop bitterness and malt sweetness. Nothing is over the top, it is all very balanced and pleasant. There's a strange coffee like flavor in the finish as it warms.

Mouthfeel is nice and bitterness isn't overwhelming. Overall it's pretty great.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Dogfish Head: 60 Minute IPA (Bottled: 05/05/10) (Tasted 05/19/10)
12 oz. bottle, poured into an imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear golden amber beer with some attractive pillows of foam sitting atop it. Head stays pretty firm at three millimeters, sudsy spots of lace around the edges.
Odor: Bread crust in the background, grapefruit and apricot hop aroma in the forefront, very pleasant, soft hop aroma.
Consistency: Light end of medium bodied, moderate, but prickly carbonation.
Taste: Full backdrop of crusty dark bread, a little bit of yeast fruitiness to back it up. Hop flavors mirror the aroma, grapefruit and apricot with hints of pine sap bitterness in the mix. Malt sweetness flows low, balanced, but the bready flavors stay strong into the clean finish, mixing well with the lingering grassy hop flavor on the tongue.

Like many people, this was one of the beers that introduced me to the American, specifically, East Coast style American IPA. Tasty stuff.

3.68/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

NOTE: I am tasting this one just before 90-Minute and comparing the two for my own sake.

Amber to light orange in color with a head that immediately rises and then sinks back to a frothy covering about 1/4" thick. Lace sticks to the side in a display that speaks to the quality control of the brewing process.

The smell of hops is intense with citrusy esters. There is a slightly sweet smell, but I don't think it's the malt coming through. I'll be surprised if I taste any malt in this beer.

The taste shoots straight to the back of your throat with a grapefruit assault that lingers in a pithy aftertaste on the palate. This does subside a little as you continue to drink. I do detect a wee bit of the caramel malt in the middle of the tongue, so I was wrong there. I do not find the flavors to be well-balanced and the intent of this beer seems to be to make a hop head orgasm.

I know IPAs are supposed to be highly hopped, but it is possible to balance them and eliminate overly assertive aftertastes. Weyerbacher does it with their Simcoe DIPA, Green Flash manages it as does Lake Placid IPA. Dogfish Head does not do so here and that may never have been their intent. All I know is that the overly bitter feel in my mouth is not to my liking.

A pint that I will have difficulty finishing. I've had better IPAs and I have to admit that I am disappointed as I've heard great things about this IPA and expect better from DFH. Again, I may be missing their intent and this may be exactly what they were going for.

2.28/5  rDev -44.3%

I've had this one a few times now and I have to say its not a favorite by any means, probably because I'm not a fan of unbalanced hoppy beers, ie standard IPAs that being said heres what I got overall.

Sight: Deeper yellow in color than that of an every day lager perhaps a bit orange.

Scent: Very large amounts of citrus on the nose, particularly grapefruit as well as soap and possibly fresh cut grass or some form of vegetation.

Taste: Not as bitter as a few other IPA's I have had before, like the nose suggests the flavor offers citrusy fruit flavors such as Grapefruit, lemon/lime, Soap, Grass, and rice.

Feel: Very silky oily even which is cut only by the bitterness on the tongue.

Drinkability: Personally I wouldn't have more than one of these at a time, If That.

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%

A - a bold, rich copper orange-yellow with pretty bubbles coming up from the bottom pretty much constantly. Head is cream white and not real large. Retention and lacing are middling.

S - Fruity hops and malt. Orange rind. Bready.

T - Citrus hops, orange, bread, and yummy brown sugar malts. This is really nice. Very very balanced and crispy hops at the end.

M - So smooth and so well balanced. Really the highlight of this beer. Bready and chewy - pretty full bodied for an IPA. Carbonation is perfect and complementary.

D - Very drinkable overall but it is pretty filling. Even though it is only 6% ABV, I don't know if I'd session with it. Very well-hopped. I look forward to buying this frequent and often as a cheaper alternative to 90 minute. This beer is hardly a step down from 90 minute, and altogether more drinkable.

4.07/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into my Terrapin pint glass.

Appearance: Clear golden with a one-finger white head. Good lacing. This would look really nice if it were hazy instead of transparent, but I guess that's personal preference.

Smell: Citrusy hops, very appealing. There's an undertone of sweet malts too.

Taste: Lives up to the expectations set by the smell. This is a very pleasant IPA, with the bitterness and maltiness in perfect balance. It's really not that bitter at all, actually, and I'd normally not like that in an IPA, but hell, I like this as it is.

Mouthfeel: Good, not too watery.

Drinkability: This is an IPA with only 6% ABV? And it tastes good? Sounds like a session beer to me!

I can't think of many instances when I'd go for this over a HopDevil or a Hercules Double IPA, but I like this, especially if I wanted something hoppy but not too strong to make a night out of.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Had this one on tap at Bernards in Columbus, Ohio in a pint glass with a burger.
A: Amber, it leaves rings of white lace and keeps its film and collar.
S: Biscuit caramel, grapefruit leafy hops, a light apple characteristic, chestnuts and hazelnuts, and maltier than it looks.
T: Piney, sharper hops than expected from the aroma, which leaves a very nice leafy aftertaste. Everything else comes off like it smells.
M: Midly syrupy, but creamy and frothy.
D: Awesome. I basically sessioned this one.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

From bottle to pint glass. Bottled on 3/11/10. Consumed within two weeks.

A: Pours with a 2 finger frothy creamy eggshell colored head. The head becomes slightly rocky as dimpled impressions form. Very good retention and finally recedes into a film that lasts forever. The body is remarkably clear, orange-amber in color. Continental sized patches of lace adorn the glass.

S & T: Heavily malted for the style, even still as I would liken the 60 Minute IPA to an English style more than American. Caramel, cookie, honey wheat bread, toffee and nuts, all heavily toasted. Above average hop content of pine and resin. There is a faint hint of honey, if honey existed in sugar-free form. Suggestions of fresh roasted peanuts come to mind.

M: Medium full bodied mouthfeel, especially for an IPA. Creamy and mouthcoating. An appropriate level of carbonation provides a moderate crispness to the semi bitter finish. Lightly sweet.

D: Excellent take on the American IPA. Very original and on the extreme right edge of what I consider the East Coast IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice dark copper color. A one finger off white head with good lacing.

A malty and citrus aroma. Maybe a bit of caramel.

Very smooth flavor followed by a nice kick of hops. Great bitterness on the finish. Every drink gets better. Nice even feel to this beer.

Has a nice medium body with a good amount of carbination, but not too much. I would say
It is around the medium to medium full on carbination. Makes for a very drinkable beer.

Could definitely drink a few of these with no problem. Great IPA!

3.52/5  rDev -13.9%

A: poured an iced tea brown with a very thin head that left very little sticky lacing on the glass.

S: It's wierd but I think I smell some chocolate malts with faint hooppy notes in the back. Aa I keep whiffing I also get slight caramel aromas.

T: seems like the malts carry this beer with a very faint hoppy flavor in the end just like the nose. I guess It does have like a slight chocolate coffee flavor. Weird but not bad, it gives complexity.

M: meduim body with some good carbonation to accent the overall flavor of the beer.

D: pretty decent brew from DFH. I think I like this better than the 90min.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Dogfish 60 minute IPA pours a copper color, with a small head. It smells bitter, and full of hops. It is very flavorfull, very bitter, and full of hops. After one I could always go for another. Overall a great beer, and must have, the only reason I didnt give it perfect scores is because the 90 minute IPA is even better.

60 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery