60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -10%

On tap at the Falls Church Alehouse.

A: Copper colored with a decent head and good lacing throughout.

S: Citrus hops with a little bit of caramel-ish malt.

T: Fresh citrus hops. A little bit bitter, and the copper/caramel malt is a nice touch, showing off some biscuity flavors. Too much malt, in the end.

M: Light-to-medium mouthfeel with good carbonation.

D: Fairly nice all around. Formerly one of my go to IPAs.

Thorpe429, Apr 24, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1%

A 12 ounce bottle purchased at the Beer Stop in Hazleton for $1.75. Poured into my Imperial pint glass and appears a crystal clear rich apricot color with about an inch of dense off white lingering foam. Smells and tastes of citrus fruits such as lemon, orange, and grapefruit, sweet caramel malts, bread/biscuits, and mildly resinous pine. Medium in both body and carbonation. Overall, a very well made IPA. Check it out if you see it around.

ClockworkOrange, Apr 24, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

A- Nice fluffy head, light clear orange color.

S- Very hoppy, not the usual cirtrus and floral found in an IPA. The smell is grassy and smells like hop pellets. 60 minute has a toasted malt aroma with a hint of carmel malt.

T- Not super bitter like most IPAs. Pungent grassy hops dominate the taste, but there is a nice balance between the toasty malt. The hops carry well into the after taste, where there is citrus and hint of honey.

M- Nice smooth mouthful with nice carbonation.

D- Great drinkability have pounded many in a night and sitting .

TheNightbird, Apr 24, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a New Belgium short-stemmed wineglass apparatus.

Appearance: Cyclone of carbonation within a clear amber body. Head is soft, white, soapy-creamy, and about one finger in height. Decent retention and great blanket-like lacing. Looks like the clearing of an Etch-a-Sketch when swirled about.

Smell: Grapefruit, herbal hops, toasted malts, and earth. Kind of woody and a bit salty.

Taste: Lots of toasted malt with piney hop resin taking over in the finish. Not very bitter especially for the style. Lime and grapefruit make up the citric quotient. Still getting a bit of salt. Some caramel in the beginning too. Bitterness picks up toward end of session, but is still mild. Definitely unique, but seems a bit lacking.

Mouthfeel: Pretty active carbonation in this one which produces a little tingle throughout the mouth. Oily, medium to light in body, and refreshing. Mouth-coating is alright. Maybe a tad thin.

Drinkability: Wasn't too thrilled by this one. I could knock back several of them easily, but there are some many other better IPAs that I could say the same for. This is a good beer, but I won't be buying it again.

ThreeWiseMen, Apr 23, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -23%

Dogfish usually has great beer. I bought this lucky sixer @ wholefoods...i assume they keep up with their beer stock. tasted fine, i guess i'm just spoiled with californian IPAs. it did do the trick and gave a decent buzz...but came short o flavor compared to other IPAs. still, worth a try...i like it.

erp2, Apr 22, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

Had it on tap while on vacation in Florida. To be honest I'm pretty new to the beer scene, well at least good beer. this was exceptional though. I'm always one to keep an open mind and exspand my horizons and this definitily opened a new world of beer loving to me.

Keithmac115, Apr 22, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -40.8%

Before I start I should say I'm trying to find a bottled on date because I suspect this may not be the freshest. Pours clear and copper with thick, 2 finger, white head. Smell is terrible. I do get some intense piney/spruce hops and touch of caramel, I'm overwhelmed by a skunky smell. I really cant put my finger on it, but its not nice. Taste wasnt bad, but again I hope this was a bad batch. It had some nice hop bitterness, with a touch of citrus, and it had a good malt backbone, more of a dryer malt. But still, something just a little off. Mouthfeel was fine, but a less than appealing aftertaste left behind. Overall not the best. I bought a 6 pack and took me about 10 days to drink all of them, trust me...thats not normal. I kept a bottle to see if I can find a freshness date and will certainly re-review if I did get a bad bottle.

bunnyhustle, Apr 21, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

ABV 6.0%, 60 IBUs, Bottled On 11/07/08, drank on 4/20/09

Aroma: Surprising light, floral and citrus aroma. I suspect the beer's hops have faded. This might be another case of an old beer.

Appearance: The beers pours, clear, copper with tall whit head that persists.

Flavor: Well balanced between the malts and hops. Not enough hops for an American IPA.

Mouth feel: Smooth medium bodied beer that tingle the tip and sides of the tongue.

Overall Impression: I very good beer, but it doesn't taste like an IPA nor a beer of 60 IBU. I still enjoyed drinking it and they are going down easy...

Birmingham, Apr 21, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

a nice golden-yellow body with a 1.5 finger head which reduced to a nice ring of foam. good amount of lacing hanging around. plenty of small bubbles heading for the surface.

man, that is a nice smell of hops. the pine, citrus, and some herbal notes (aka simcoe, amarillo, and warrior). i didn't notice any malts or sweetness in the smell. the draft here was nice and fresh and better smelling than the bottle.

a nice bitter taste. the hops are here, with the spicy and citrus notes really taking up the majority of it. there's a note of malt and body to back it up, but the bitterness dries things up. mmm...

good carbonation on this one, helps the fullness of the body. not too oily or heavy. tingles the tongue.

could easily have a few of these (and have in the past). a nice IPA which is easy to get and really tasty.

beerorRIP, Apr 20, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Sitting here enjoying a DFH 60MIPA and realized: "I haven't reviewed this one yet". So...sitting now at the computer typing this.

Always a pleasure enjoying anything Dogfish Head brews. This one is no exception. Great golden color with a nice white foamy head. Great lacing that seems to last an eternity.

Great smell of floral and spice which is brought to reality with the same taste. Still like to identify a few of the undertones in the DFH brews...seems to be in quite a few of them.

Only ting I didn't rate a 4.5 on this brew was the appearance. I gave it a 4 as I would with any fine filtered IPA, but I really do enjoy an unfiltered IPA, or bottle conditioned. Other than that...4.5 across the board!

tpet96, Apr 20, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance - Pours a golden color with a white, foamy, 3 finger head. Nice head retention, leaves a nice lace on the glass.

Smell - Smells of lemon and citrus hops.

Taste - mildly sweet with lemon and orange flavors. Hops, malt, and biscuit flavors are present. Leaves a slight biscuit aftertaste with some sweetness. Nice balance.

Mouthfeel - Nice carbonation, easy to drink, light to medium bodied. Some bitterness, but not harsh at all.

Drinkability - Very drinkable. It would be easy to drink several of these. I will need to pick up more of this next trip to Wisconsin.

hardy008, Apr 19, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Clear, gold color, carbonated. Thick soapy head with sticky lacing

S: Clean, woodsy-pine smell. Some floral notes as well, and some lemon peel.

T: Very smooth. Malt character has a dry citric start with some grapefruit, lemon then is followed by a very smooth malt sweetness. The hops kick in at the finish to balance, and linger in the aftertaste. Hops are piney, more grassy in the back of the tongue. Very delicious beer.

M: Carbonated, good body. Get slight hop oil on the tongue which is great, and some slight alcohol warmth which is odd because this beer is only 6%.

D: Insanely drinkable. One of the most smoothest IPAs I've had. Great balance, malt and hop flavors are nice, and very easy to drink. A very well made IPA.

Beefeater57, Apr 17, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

A: pours a cryltal clear orange amber color, with generous white head and lacing

S: hoppy piney and fruity notes

T: although not over powered by the hops there isn't much malty sweetness. the flavors are of pine, fruits, and citrus, with a toasty flavor on the back end

M: smooth with a medium about of carbonation

D: very nice and light, i like it

lonestar1836, Apr 17, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

Thanks again abbddull for the hook-up!

This is got to be one of the best IPA's to ever cross my lips. Just great all-around. I love everything about it except that It's not available in my region(yet?!?).

It's got a golden-honey color with a pencil-thin head. Smell is perfect with a nice hop sting in the nose. Where this beer really shines is its taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability, all are off the charts. I'm hard-pressed not to give this all 5's. It was very worthwhile for me to have sought this out. If your a fan of IPA's put this one at the top of your to-do list!

ironlung, Apr 17, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured light golden color, with decent 2 finger head. Smell was of hops of course, but actually had more malt sweetness than I had expected. Taste, nice sweet malt up front, then slight bitterness, then a bit more sweetness than nice finish of bitterness. Bitterness wasnt as pronounced as I had expected, although it was really nice. Good medium mouthfeel.

Overall, this was a really good IPA, not what i expected, this is my first DFH brew, and I was impressed. Way more balanced then I had expected going in, pleasantly suprised. I could drink several of these in a sitting.

webbcreative, Apr 17, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Appears a clear golden color with plenty of white, frothy head. The beer has good lacing and head retention. Smells are of grapefruit and piney hops, there's a bit of a sweet backbone to it, but the hop smell dominates. Taste is also dominated by the hops, as with most IPA's. Plenty of bitterness and citrusy tastes. Most of the taste is of grapefruits. Very smooth and very drinkable, plenty of carbonation. One of my favorite IPA's at this point.

kbeals, Apr 15, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -36.4%

Pristinely clear gold appearance. Large white head with sticky lace and great retention.

Smelled of macro sugar ick at first pour--this seemed to die down with the head. Wet, earthy light grains under herbal hops. Peppery.

Consistant, mild hop bitterness--fairly light for an IPA. Primarily a heavy herbal hop oil with miserable grainy, sugary malt. Grapefruit rind hopiness here and there.

By far the best part of this beer is the lingering hop oil. It's like hop take-out; one can take a sip and bring hop taste with him/her for hours. Mouthfeel is oily and crisp, almost champagnish--like Miller High Life.

I hear tell that many Dogfish Head beers are underattenuated--I wonder if that's the macro ick that pervades this beer?

donkeyrunner, Apr 14, 2009

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 14 oz mug

A: pours a deep golden/faint orange hue with a foamy white head, 1 finger thick; tiny bubbles percolating up the side of the glass; slight lacing clings to the side of the glass.

S: first notes are citrusy (grapefruit, orange); floral, herbal hoppy notes; also picking up woodsy notes of pine, maybe cedar. Overall, the aroma was not as pronounced (perhaps it would be better to say pungent?) as the Stone IPA which I tried a couple days prior.

T: hoppy bitterness followed by citrusy, rind-like flavors; slight sweetness from the citrus fruit, yet it is balanced by peppery, herbal and wood flavors; slight malty, biscuit flavor peaks through after the initial hoppy outburst; finish reminds me a lot of a dry wine, leaves a hint of cottonmouth that begs for another sip.

M: carbonation is crisp and tingly, but creates a slightly slick mouthfeel; carbonation fits what you would expect from such an up-front, citrusy/hoppy ale.

D: 6% ABV isn't too powerful, but the alcohol does establish itself with a bit of peppery flash; however, I think this IPA is relatively easy to drink because it didn't try to wreck my palate like my experience with other IPAs.

Still early days in my foray into IPAs, but that being said, the 60min IPA definitely feels like a good intro IPA. It doesn't overdo the hop bitterness, and still lets you dissect its blend of sweet, spicy and herbal note.

Buschyfor3, Apr 14, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Nice clear copper, head dissipates quickly, but doesn't disappear altogether. Very light lacing.

S - Big on hops with a bit of a sweet citrus note.

T - As has been mentioned, the initial flavor is malty, but the hops kick in and dominate the palate in the finish with a nice, subtle and quickly fading grapefruit tartness.

M - I think the mouthfeel is fantastic, decently full with just the right touch of carbonation.

D - Very drinkable, now one of my favorite session beers, and being that they are selling it at all of my beer stops these days, I'm all set.

moosington, Apr 13, 2009

A - Bright copper, nice fluffy head leaves fast to noting. Some spotty lacing.

S - At first, lots of hops, extreme hops. It left quick though and now it's smelling a little macro like. Perfume is there, though and that isn't macro.

T - Malt with nice hop profile to back it up. Very perfumed, even in taste.

M - Medium body, good balance, etc.

D - Real easy to drink.

srandycarter, Apr 13, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -23%

12 oz bottle served in pint glass

A: a very handsome crystal clear beer with a nice light copper color, but head was lacking, only thin wisps of snow white lacing, the color of the beer had to dimension either, seemed thin looking.

S: To the this had a rancid or rotting apricot or peach aroma. To be sure of this I saved the 6 pack I bought and drank them over time. It was consistent in all the beers.

T: The rancid rotting apricot peach appeared in the taste as well. Now, it's not like you can't drink it, it's not a spitter, but the flavor is there. It also has a sharp bitter flavor.

M: thin to medium mouthfeel some silkiness

D: average, I've had 60min that was better than this but none the less, this was the quality of the beer that was available and thats just too bad. Also this is not the first bad beer I've had from DFH. Their beer is fantastic fresh, especially in the brewpub, but to me, it doesn't travel well.

Sorry, I want to jump on the bandwagon and love DFH, but this was disappointing.

Naugled, Apr 12, 2009
1.98/5  rDev -51.6%

Appearance: Got this one in a trade with ludachris, thanks man. Came in a cyan and olive bottle with a picture of what I assume is a dogfish on it. Cloudy gold/yellow color that poured with a finger of head that laces decently and retains quite well. However, the beer itself also seems to have some carbonation issues at first glance as I'm not see very much of it.

Smell: Overpowering smell of citrus hops on this one which isn't surprising given the style, however it's way out of control. A lot of dry, hay like smell mixed with mild pine needles too. The strength is perfect, and it's not unpleasant but this is setting alarms off in my head that this beer is going to be way too dry and bitter.

Taste: Well my predictions via the smell were correct. It starts with a hay like flavor and then turns to a slight touch of grapefruit near the middle that is annihilated by the bitterness till the end by a taste I can only describe as dry hops mixed with burnt, dried pine needles. WAY too bitter for my tastes, and the only reason I don't grade it lower, is because I'm to understand a large amount of bitterness is normal for the style.

Mouthfeel: Leaves a god awful bitter aftertaste that leaves the mouth as dry as a bone. It's carbonation is surprisingly decent, but the problem is in only serves to enhance the terrible taste. Also, it is abundantly clear that this beer has a high alcohol content. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact I'm not catching any sort of chemical flavor, I'd rate this a 1.

Drinkability: Well I find the taste and the feeling it leaves in my mouth to hamstring it's drinkability. It's carbonation makes it lack smoothness, and it's dryness doesn't make you feel refreshed at all. Thankfully it is decent on the gut, but that's not saying much. I can't finish this beer, which is always a bad sign.

<Edit: After 10 minutes after drinking, I got a vicious case of gut rot, making this my first 1 score in the field of drinkability>

Final Thoughts: Having never had a IPA outside of Alexander Keith's (which I know isn't a good example of the style) I thought I'd give this stuff a try. If this is an A- beer for the style, then this style must not be for me. I drain poured this at the halfway mark it was so god awful. The only redeeming quality is the smell, and there is more to a beer then a nice aroma. There is no balance to this beer, the bitter and dry nature is out of control. It's very rare I have a beer that completely puts me off of a style, but this stuff does it. I'm more inclined to try another Japanese style beer sooner then another IPA because of this beer. Stay away unless you thrive on dry bitterness.

TheHammer, Apr 10, 2009

I am not a big hop head like many out there, but I did enjoy this beer more than a Dubbel that I tried on the same night, which is my favorite style of beer.

A- Good looking beer. A nice copper color with decent retention and good lacing.

S - Hops

T - Def hoppy at first, but hints of citrus come through

M - Little bitter in the mouth

D - Def could have a few of these in a row. I actually like it

drink1121, Apr 08, 2009
1.8/5  rDev -56%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

A--Sparkling gold with one finger of white head that recedes pretty quickly and leaves almost no lacing

S--Bread, faint hops, and uh oh...cigarette ashes. Why do I smell cigarette ashes? Or is that burnt cheese? Either way, it does not smell good. I'm already suspecting I have a bad bottle

T--Yep, cigarette ashes. This tastes nothing like an IPA. This has to be a bad bottle, at least I hope so. But after just "finishing" a disgusting 2009 Aprihop, my confidence in Dogfish Head is not very high right now. I'm going to continue this review and if in the future I drink it again and it is good then I will update it.

M--Just fine

D--Drain pour

I need to go break open a bottle of 90 min. to renew my confidence in this brewery. But they are 0 for 2 tonight.

alcstradamus, Apr 07, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

12oz. bottle into shaker pint on 4/5/09.

A - Poured a clear amber/orange body with vigorous carbonation and one-finger foamy, off-white head that retained well and left some thick, sticky lacing.

S - Herbal and earthy hops with a splash of citrus backed by grainy and bready malts as well as a bit of sweet caramel. Some mild alcohol notes also emerged as the liquid warmed up.

T - Potpourri of hop flavor with herbal, earthy, citrus and some slightly medicinal notes with an underlying toasted grainy malt character and some sweet caramel notes. Finishes with an herbal hop bite and plenty of toasted grains.

M - Medium body with a mild syrupy texture and moderate carbonation. Finishes slightly dry on the palate with moderate hop bitterness.

D - While 60-minute is a bit more drinkable than 90-minute overall, it's definitely not as aromatic or flavorful than its more hopped counterpart. However, this is a nicely balanced IPA that is quite easy to drink.

ffejherb, Apr 06, 2009