60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured into tumbler, decent head, dissipates at medium speed and lingers on top. The foam left thin, but happy lacing. The color is a nice, orangey coppery amber. Smells almost buttery for some reason, this is most likely just my freak palate at the moment. There is some nice toffee, medium aromatic hops, a tinge of hay, fruit and some alcohol. Taste is crisp and clean, not dry like an English IPA. The bitter hops hit perfectly, and dissipate with out killing you (not that killing you with hops is ever bad), I get some sweetness, with toffee or chocolate at times, all is extremely well balance though. This for a long time has been one of my favorite staple IPAs simply because it wont kick you're ass with high ABV or its crazy hops, but you can drink so many and feel happy. This is not an IPA that will thrill you, but it will definitely please you. Honestly its worth keeping around, thanks again Dogfish head.

mmcave, Oct 08, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

What can I say about any Dogfish Head beer? It is a great beer just like all of the other one. I drank this from a bottle that someone gave to me. The beer is 6.0% and it is an IPA, even though it doesn't taste like a normal IPA. It is a nice weak beer that someone can drink a lot of, thus it is an easy beer to drink. I recommend drinking this beer and all of the Dogfish Head Beers.

jrb1001, Oct 06, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a very light crystal clear golden color with tons of streaming carbonation. 1 finger white head leaves some lacing. Looks like a pilsner with how light and clear it is.

Nice floral and citrus hop aroma, on the lighter side actually, for an IPA. Maybe a little tiny bit of caramel malt coming through.

Very smooth taste. One of the more subdued IPAs. Spicy hops on the tip of the tongue, then a little touch of malt sweetness in the middle before a dry finish. Nice balance.

Lighter bodied for an IPA, spicy on the palate. Again, very much like a pilsner.

Highly drinkable because the hops aren't as overbearing as in some (especially after a couple). This doesn't destroy your taste buds. Seems like a perfect session beer.

johnniemarg, Oct 02, 2006

This is definetly my favorite IPA from Dogfish. I like it much better than the 90. Pours a dark-yellow color with very little head. not overly hoppy so it doesnt kill your mouth for other beers. A very drinkable 6% and you really cant taste any alcohol whatsoever. Could definetly sit down and to a session of these as apposed to the others from Dogfish.

TrickKnee, Oct 02, 2006

pours a light golden honey color with very little head. Nose is of sweet malt, some floral hops and alcohol. Strong floral hop taste in the flavor but it balanced out well with the malt sweetness. The alcohol is not as evident as I expected give the high ABV. Very smooth with a dry finish and a nice lingering bitter hop aftertaste. I think the high alcohol content will keep this from being a session beer, but I could definitely have another.

Fuller, Oct 01, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into a pint glass, very straw yellow in appearance with a white head that when drank quickly will stay the entire drink. Smell is very hoppy with that citrus flair that we love from DFH. Taste is amazing same just a slight bit weaker and softer than its big brother, goes down very smooth. Has that hop bitterness as well. I enjoy drinking this fine creation from DFH highly recommend.

gunnerman, Sep 30, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Excellent beer. I was forced to try it this summer as I searched for something decent among the BCM at the local gas station near the beach. I was very surprised to find such a reputable brand along with a bunch of crap - and I had to go for it.

This style is usually a bit too hoppy for me, but after about half a glass - I was really enjoying it. Not sweet at all, very dry and hoppy. Bitter yes, but probably appropriate for this style. Definitely good with meat.

alysmith4, Sep 28, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

This was my first taste of Dogfish Head, but it certainly won't be the last. A: A medium gold with a thin head and light lacing. S: Strong and pleasing hoppiness with a crisp finish on the nose. T: Very clean mildly malted start with a slight alcohol kick and hops galore to finish. It results in an unbelievably balanced clean finish with min to no aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light to med with proper coverage and body. D: Extremely drinkable but with 6% ABV prolonged sessions could be very pleasing/dangerous. I sampled a cask IPA @ Boscos brewpub in Nashville recently that is almost identical to 60 min. I am very impressed as IPAs are not my usual bag, but this one is just perfectly balanced.

veech, Sep 26, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -13.7%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Nice amber color with a strong, white head.

Smell: Good hop aroma, lots of citrus.

Taste: Definite hop presence but not quite as much as I expected. There's something missing in the middle. Finishes with a clean hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Good medium, not too sticky on the tounge.

Drinkability: Good drinkability for an IPA.

I love DFH beers, but this seems to be missing a good blend of hops throughout the taste that I have seen in other beers.

psinderson, Sep 25, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

AP: Clear, active Pale Amber color. Big Fat 2" thick foamy all-white head. Good retention, leaves behind some nice thick foamy rings.

Nose: Sweet malted Barley and an herbal hop with some citrus ellements.

Taste: A very sweet (mild for DFH though) malted barley flavor with a mellow hop ending.

MF: Lively, good bite, relatively smooth thanks to the constant foamy lacing.

DA: Not as Potent in the ABV department as some other DFH offerings, but very true to the style and one fine IPA. Very easy to drink.

GratefulBeerGuy, Sep 24, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: The body is much lighter gold than you would expect for the style. The head is a bright white, full, and leaves sticky lacing.

Smell: Lots of grapefruit in the nose, all big hop scents, very nice.

Taste: Malty, but not as sweet as I am used to. The hops are the star of the show, however, bitter, but the grapefruit citrus flavors are delicious and give a real fresh flavor to the beer. A very easy to drink and well crafted IPA.

Drinkability: I tried the xx minute beers in descending order, and each one had their own virtues and were a good represetative of their respective style. This fits the IPA mold, and is very good vs. the style.

TastyTaste, Sep 24, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz bottle -> imperial pint
bottled on: 7/20/06

Pours an yellow orange with a nice big creamy head that faded to a fluffy pillow and left thick sticky spiderweb lace all over the glass. Carbonation looks just about perfect not too much not too little.

Nose: Piney and citrus hops combine. Malts peek through as it warms.

Taste: Oranges and pine needles up front, with a delicate malt background. This one seems hoppier than i remember. A mellow bitter aftertaste lays on the tongue and stays there.

Feels good in the mouth with just enough carbonation.

A good session beer that seems to be popping up all over. Always great when you're at a place that has only macro's, SamAdams, and oh yeah dogfish!! I prefer the 60 to the 90 for sessions, but the 90 to the 60 for an after dinner snack.

beerphan, Sep 23, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a pint glass, brewed-on date 5/14/06.

Nice clear golden tint with a tight frothy head.

Pleasant grassy smell.

Clean, smooth taste with a mellow hop aftertaste.

Pleasing mouthfeel, not over carbonated.

Very easy drinking beer, a great treat for the end of the work day.

jsimon816, Sep 21, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

This I think is Dogfish Heads best flagship beer because of its drinkabiity and how well ballanced it is. This beer looks like how many beers do, yellow in color, very clear, nice creamy white head and perfect carbonation were you see little bubbles rising from time to time. The aroma for this beer is just full of hops and is very floral. As for the taste there is a nice clean malt taste followed by a mild bitterness plenty of flavoring hops to make you smile. If im ever stuck on an IPA or just want something to sit back and enjoy this is my number one pic.

simmons, Sep 20, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass at 50 degrees.

Pours a light golden with a short-lasting head...smells grassy and hoppy with some lemon lingering in the background. I was expecting a similar taste to the 90 minute IPA, and it resembles that...but not as well-balanced. There's a hoppy kick, but it borders being a little too bitter for my taste. The 90 minute is by far supreme, but this is a nice choice if none is available.

JohnnyM2002, Sep 18, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -19.3%

60 Minute IPA - 'The continually-hopped India Pale Ale.'

Serving Type - 12oz Bottle no freshness date
Apperance - nice amber with a small head
Smell - like hops!
Mouthfell - good, strong hop flavors true to the style

The 90 minutes seems more balanced with malt sweetness when compared to the 60. In my opinion the 60 has much more of a bitter bite to it.

cash22, Sep 17, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

DFH 90min is one of my all-time favorites, so I tried this "little brother" expecting to slam it somehow (something like "I know 90min, I'm friends with 90min, and you sir are no 90min").

But actually 60min has a lot going for it. Appearance is it's weakest attribute, due to clear and pissy yellow color (although the head was poofy which is nice). The smell and taste are really good, more malty than you see from most IPA's. Nice and thick mouthfeel, this came through as a strongly above average and well balanced IPA.

TurdFurgison, Sep 13, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

I have actually had this at the restaurant in Rehoboth and I'm sorry to say it has taken me 4 years to buy a six pack.

Broad flavors typical of AIPA with exceptional hop pallet and a unique but subtle smoky/oaky edge. Conservative hop blast compared to their 90. A must for hopheads looking for a good session beer or a good match for spicy food.

Cheers!

addmorehops, Sep 10, 2006
4.95/5  rDev +21%

Excellent Beer. No conditioning sting. Yellow with orange tinge (reflected color.) Foaming head quickly dissapating. Somewhat pine aroma. Dry smoked oak flavor. Wonderfully hopped, beautifully bitter! This is how beer SHOULD taste! I cannot wait to get my hands on the other higly hopped IPAs...

TechMyst, Sep 08, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -9.5%

I must say, this was better than average, but just. Pour was a crystal clear medium golden straw with a white fluffy head that faded away in about 40 seconds. Several streams of CO2 bubbles steadily rise to fuel the patchy lace work that floats on the liquid's surface. Nice looking lacing sticks to the edges of the glass when tilted. Looks nice, but nothing super special IMO. Pine resin and citrusy grapefruit, while present, are more subtle than I was expecting. Smell is quite tame, indeed. The taste, like the smell, has your typical Cascade / Centennial hopped IPA characteristics, but again, isn't as assertive as I was expecting. Mouthfeel is fairly "par for the course" with a medium body and moderate carbonation. This is a good IPA. Not great or fantastic, simply good. I would, however, buy this again.

*I must give thanks to my mother for bringing this back from Florida for me, as DFH is not distributed in Ga. as of my writing this review. Thanks, mom!

SilentSabre, Sep 06, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger white foamy head. There was good retention and excellent sticky lacing.

The smell was very well balanced. A strong peppery and citrus hop aroma was offset nicely by a sweet smelling biscuity malt.

The taste was a nice combination of peppery hop resin and butter cookies. A nice satisfying flavor. Mild huskiness.

The mouthfeel was full with a dry finish.

Overall a very drinkable AIPA. Very sessionable.

plaid75, Sep 06, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +10%

Pours a very nice light golden color...I expected a little deeper hue but thats not a negative. Thin head that disappears quickly but nicely laces the glass. I didn't find much in the way of hop aroma...I would have liked a little more. But that is more than made up for in the taste! Great hop flavor without overpowering the beer. Very well balanced. Mouthfeel and carbonation levels were perfect to me. Finishes well without leaving too much of a hoppy aftertaste.

I have found my new favorite IPA!

cwachtel, Sep 04, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Well balanced nose, with sweet chocolate malt flavorings to match the brisk hops. Body is a transparant light amber with a fluffy, fast-fading head and moderate lacing.

Big hops right out front in the flavor but its more gentle, round, bitterness than
the face puckering blast of the 90 minuute. Welll crafted, reminds me a bit of Brooklyn's IPA. Also, better balanced than most IPAs, with nutty malt runnning step for step with the hops.

Overall, a solid, sessionable IPA although I'm still looking for a trademark product from Dogfish Head to go gaga over but haven't found it.

daliandragon, Sep 04, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +12%

Like the 90 minute ipa but less bitter. I like the 90 minute better.

I had this beer after trying chimay and having a cherry wheat, because I wanted a hop fix, but not an overboard wone.

Appearance: Great, nice, large head, with good retention

Smell: citrusy, lemony, pleasant

Taste: Nice and bitter. I love the hop profile. A nice bite, but I don't find it overberaing. A lot of balance to the beer.

Mouthfeel+ drinkability: Very crisp. I could drink this beer all night. VERY VERY sessionable. Won't destroy the palate for changes to lighter styles.

jasonjlewis, Sep 04, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -18.6%

My favorite beer style is definetly IPA and I found the 60 Minute IPA a tad overrated. The pour had a lot of head and the lacing was VERY sticky after the head coming down to one finger thickness. I'm not sure this is a good thing. After warming up I tasted more syrup'y citrus than the hops that I really like. I couldn't taste much malt or caramel like the other reviews. The 'born on date' was in April so I guess this was in the light too much or something. Maybe I need to try a bottle of the 90 to get the real deal IPA from Dogfish.

diamondc, Sep 01, 2006