60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
2.9/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured out an amber colorwith a huge head. Lots of floaters in it hops maybe?Grapefruity type hop smell ,not too bad.Taste is hugely hops but not very balanced in my opinion.Missing something but unsure of what its missing.Id rather just skip over this one and go straight to the goods with their 90 minute ipa.

tweeder263, Dec 24, 2004
3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

Wow! I had heard good things about this beer, but I was still surprised at how good it was. Appearance - nice golden brown, typical IPA color, 1" straw-colored head that lasts a good while and leaves lacing all around the glass. Smell - very good. Citrusy, maybe a hint of pine? Taste - ah, the pine really comes through here. After the first sip, I thought, "man, this is like drinking a Christmas tree," but that description doesn't really do the beer justice. The piney taste is definitely there, but it's not overpowering by any means. It gives a unique character to the beer that is great in my book. Mouthfeel - good, but nothing special. Drinkability is pretty high, though the pineyness might be a turnoff for some. Overall I rate this beer very highly - it certainly won't be my last.

PossumJenkins, Dec 23, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer pours very clear with a pale tea-like color with a nice fluffy off-white head. The smell of fresh cut grass and hay and the punch of hops will make your mouth water! The taste reveals a nice malt backbone translating into a nice lightly sweetened biscuity base blending nicely with the pungent hop bite and bitterness. It has a medium bodied mouthfeel and finishes just slightly dry. Very, very nice!

Notes: This is my idea of a very well crafted IPA. It's not overboard with the hops, but you definitely know they are there. Beautifully done!

Note #2: This beer's label states bottle-conditioned. The bottom of my bottle had absolutely NO yeast ring or sediment to be seen. I don't think it's bottle conditioned.

BeerAngel, Dec 23, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +10%

Appearance: Clear copper-amber color, good white head and nice lacing.

Aroma: Huge, absolutely unique hop aroma: peppery, earthy, even pine-like aroma, reminiscent of toasted bread (not the bread-like malt scent). This is one of the best IPA's I've ever smelled.

Flavor: Burst of hop flavor, which seems to remind me of pepper and oregano, and pine needles, and dried lemongrass. Bitterness is high, but this beer is more about hop flavor than stingingly high bitterness. A solid malt base gives balance and body to the beer. Finish is dryish, but not astringent.

Body: Medium-full body, medium carbonation.

Quite fine IPA. I like this lots better than the 90 minute, and infinitely more than the 120 minute. Very unique beer.

allengarvin, Dec 20, 2004
3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

This is my first beer of the night and the 12oz bottle pours a nice clear, copper color. The head is very thin and dissappears just as quickly. The smell of this beer is very nice, with a strong grapefruit and pine aroma. The smell of this beer is very fine for an IPA and makes you want the first sip. The first sip has a nice piney and mild citrus taste. I am a little dissappointed in the strength of the hop flavor in the beer. It has a nice taste in the beginning but does not hold up very well. The mouthfeel is also a bit on the thin side. The beer did have a nice hoppy finish. This is a very drinkable session beer..

ddarden, Dec 08, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

It pours like a lager, very similar in color with a thin head that dissipitated and no lace. The aroma is of slight hops. And, not suprisingly, those hops follow into the flavor of the beer. The flavor has hints of unripe citrus that hit the tongue with the first sip and then follow through into the finish. The hops are slightly bitter, but as is appropriate for an IPA.

MuddyFeet, Dec 08, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

I had this out a 12 oz bottle and served in a tulip glass. Packaged on date notched for October.

Hazy yellowish orange in color. Puffy white head. Lacings are over the glass.

Whiffs of oranges and a floral aroma.

Juicy and chewy hop profile. Citrus fruit and sharp hop bite on the finish. There is a slight alcohol 6.0% ABV warmth in each sip, nothing too much. Good drinkability level as your tastebuds are getting a work out.

Another great American IPA by DFH.

Hibernator, Dec 04, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

This poured a medium golden, with a slight amber tint, sudsy head that left slight lacing all the way through.
smell was slightly floral, fruity and complex, one of the best smelling beers I've had.
taste was floral up front, with a bit of malt and hop bite in the middle,and a nice dry, but smooth finish. reminded me a bit of the Lagunitas that the LongBeachBum gave me, mouthfeel was bubbly and crisp, good finish,
This is very unique and good tasting beer, fairly well balanced, but with the edge goin to the hops which are very nice, good drinkability, quality stuff all the way!

steinlifter, Nov 20, 2004
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

My bottle looks just like the picture. Ingredients conform to the purity law. I didn't notice any freshness info.

Pours a clear, slightly orange gold under a one finger off-white head that settles quickly to patchy film but leaves very nice lacing. There's definite pine in the nose, but it is not overwhelming, and is accompanied by a hint of sweet bread. The mouth is quite well carbonated and fairly light-bodied. There's a definite malt presence as the taste experience opens, sweet and almost fruity. This is balanced by a raw pine bitterness that is pervasive but not excessive. The pine is a bit harsh, perhaps slightly unfinished. The raw, almost espresso bitter is dry, inviting another swig. This is a great introductory IPA.

Globetrotter, Nov 19, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Here goes my 1st review:
Poured from a 12oz bottle.

Appearance: Nice amber hue with a small head and a circular lacy to the bottom of my pint glass.

Smell: Plenty of citrus in this one, grapefruit stands out. Also a hint of nutmeg and pine.

Taste: Damn tasty IPA. The time I had a 60 minute, I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. I love IPA's but this one took me few to come around. Now its a staple in my fridge. Smooth with plenty of hop bitterness to please.

Drinkability: A very drinkable IPA in my opinion. Hop bitterness doesn't overwhelm. In fact, let me finish this one off and go grab another. A fine brew indeed.

SwillBilly, Nov 16, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

12oz bottle Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA...

This brew poured a orange/amber color with a substantial head that dissipated quickly. There was almost no lacing.

Huge grapefruit, spicy, hoppy, resin-like aroma.

Grapefruit, bitter, floral, spicy hops flavor with the correct amount of malt for that almost perfect balance, great taste.

Clean bitter finish with a burst of flavors detected on the back of the tongue.

IPA beers are not my favorite, but I thoroughly enjoyed this IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery. I will definitely keep this one around.

Prosit!

ThreePistols, Nov 13, 2004
4.93/5  rDev +20.5%

Great beer here. I can now get a six pack regularly. This beer looks great not overly amber still pale enough with a decent lingering head. The smell is an offering of citrus blend and spicy hop notes. It has a beautiful body, not too heavy ass like some high hopped beers are but it acheives balance without needing extra body. The taste is of a perfect hop splash. The moderate alcohol content is slightly noticeable and the plate of malt flavor serves the hop bitterness up well to liven up your mouth. A very refreshing beer and drinking the whole 6'er in a night would be easy.

Higravity, Nov 10, 2004
4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA:

Packaged in September, reviewed in October: Crystal clear pour and a nice head the quickly settles to a thin film…promises of fine lacing. Nose is hops…no holding back here and very floral. Reminds me of my first real IPA, 60 minutes of joy. Taste is WOW…I love this stuff and suppose that is why I always find myself going back to it. Unique among the East Coast IPAs, and among the best session IPAs. Oily-slick mouthfeel with a hop bite that doesn’t hold back, without overkill on the ubiquitous grapefruit…maybe it’s the “Mystery Hop X”. And I was right about the lacing…subtle, but looks really nice in my Rogue American Amber pint glass. Drop dead drinkability makes this a true champ.

Cheers…

markman, Nov 09, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

On tap, presented in a shaker pint.

Glowing golden amber elixer. Topped by 1/2" of creamy white foam. Swift moving carbonation.

Citrus & pine jump right out of the glass in a most impressive way. Some interesting fruit plays around in there as well.

Biscuity malt, & fruity flavours, quickly give way to a full on hop assault. Its like eating a grapefruit thats been drenched in pine sap - and I like it! Medium body, moderate carbonation.

xgrigorix, Nov 08, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

This beer answers the question: Can A beer have too much hops?
The answer is a solid NO.
From the moment I popped the cap and smelled the hops, I knew this was to be a memorable brew.
The color is a bit light for an IPA, but the head is substantial and leaves little islands of hops inside the glass.
There is some sweetness on the tip of the tongue, but this ale is ale about the hops. The hop-flavoring due to the constant addition of hops throughout the boil is awesome. Hops coat the tongue from beginning to end, and leave a balanced bitterness that lasts long after the swallow.
I heartily recommend you treat yourself to a least a 6.

farHillsBrewer, Nov 07, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

This is a damn good pale ale (IPA). I love the taste of their beers. Similar to the Aprihop, but a bit more subtle. I could drink this all night. Smooth and tangy, Dogfish Head tastes like nothing else I've had. This is a nicely balanced brew. Not as overtly fruity or hoppy as some, but plenty of hops are there to balance the malt undertones. I would like to compare the 90 minute head to head to see the difference, but this has a good shot at becoming my #1 session IPA.

JohnnyDuvel, Nov 05, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a light amber color with a white thin head and nice lacing all around.

Scent is superb, sweet carmel malts, nice pine, citrus with grassy notes.

Taste: amazing, the perfect balance between the sweet malts upfront that linger just long enough, and then the explosion of hop flavors to follow. The malts are still there though, ever so slight. The finish is citrus, pine hop with just a hint of the malts still present. A bit O sweetness aint too bad.

Mouthfeel: almost creamy, it is sooo smooth. Light bodied and perefct carbination.

Dinkability is great. This stuff goes down so nice, I could put these away all day. One of my favorite IPAs to date. DFH has done the world a great service with this beer. WOW!!!!

trumick, Nov 04, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

Clear deep gold with a bright white head and good lacing. Flowery hop aroma with a touch of pepper. Floral bitternes, a hint of spruce and citrus backed by a little bit of malty sweetness and bright in flavor. Medium light body with moderate cabonation.

This is a VERY drinkable IPA. I'd consider this a session IPA. I plan of drinking more of this.

frazbri, Nov 02, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

This beer got me into IPA's. It is also the only beer that is "good to the last drop" in my opinion. In other words, the last sip is better than the first, usually its the other way around. I love this beer and so should you. Its got the taste of most IPA's then at the end gets flavor-full and sweet. It is great by itself or with a meal.

n8tron, Oct 26, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a clear amber with a white frothy head. Very nice lacing down the glass. Smells incredibly hoppy and acidic with fruit and floral undertones. Nice and pleasent smelling. Tastes just like a good, solid IPA should. Nice and hoppy at first with malts rounding it off on the finish. Very bitter without being overpowering. Very pleasant tasting. A great mouthfeel, very light without losing it's strength. A great, complex beer which would make a fabulous session brew. Definitly get your hands on this.

santoslhalper, Oct 24, 2004

This beer pours a nice golden color with an off-white head. The head slowly fizzles out to nice ring that sticks around. Good looking beer.
The smell is predominately hoppy. There really isn't anything else that stands out in the hops because they are so overwhelming. Not a bad thing. There is a hint of citrus coming through but not much.
The taste is pretty much hops all the way through. The flavor is pretty consistent on the palate front to back.
It has a nice mouthfeel. Good carbanation. It leaves a pleasant hop flavor in your mouth. Medium body.
IIt's a fairly drinkable beer depending on your hop preferance. If your a hop-head you could drink a few of these no problem. If not, you probably aren't going to even think of picking up a sixer of this.
I think it's a great beer. I definately would recommend it. I've been waiting for this beer to show up in one of my local stores for a long time now and I'm glad it did.

Brian700, Oct 21, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Clean and clear golden amber color, dense white head that offers modest retentionand minimal lace. Big, beautiful citrus and floral bouquet with a hint of malt sweetness, pine, and herbal notes. Starts with a kiss of malt which gives way to a punch in the mouth of luscious grapefruit and tangerine hops with noticable floral marijuana accents. Every time I burp it's like I ate a big bud of some dank...This is a tasty brew served right outa the cellar. I drink a lot of these. Beer is good.

AlexJ, Oct 20, 2004
4.05/5  rDev -1%

pours out a nice bronzen color with a quickly dissipating head.

nose is all about the hops with a speck of orange peel in there. no malt presence.

taste is a nice, invigorating level of hops. there is a taste of grapefruit on the edges somewhere. the crisp hops disappear in the finish, giving way to a gentle malt sweetness that brings a nice balance to this beer. quite nicely rounded.

i really enjoy the mouthfeel on this one; smooth, medium body with a lively carbonation at just the right tone.

beware old bottles on this one. my first 6pack was old, and i thought this beer a bit lackluster. i got a fresh one recently and it was a whole new beer. i even did a side by side, and the fresh was certainly different, in a nicer way.

trancefishy, Oct 20, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

60 Minute pours a sparkling golden amber, with a dense, bright white cap. Sticky lace trails in erratic smears and chunks on the glass , leaving little floating on the beer.
The aroma is sharp and floral- a victory garden and freshly squeezed OJ - sugary malt is in the background, but not un-noticed. Intensly hoppy but somhow balanced aromas invites the alpha acid lover in for more.
Flavors of soft doughy malt up front fade and blend into amazing and complex hop flavors on all levels. The aroma plays a big role in the flavor of this beer as you can pick out and match the aromas and flavors that flood your senses.
Very mellow, medium mouth feel support the hop dominance and while slightly on the thin side, provides exceptional balance and drinkability. Bitterness throughout and in the finish are less than I expected and allows the lingering hop flavors to be enjoyed instead of being over powered as in many more heavily bittered IPA's.
Outstanding example of the style, with a Dogfish Head twist. A great beer for those looking to really tastes hop flavors.

Shiredave, Oct 17, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +12%

This has been on draft via Randall the Enamel Animal for quite some time now at Bling Tiger, and I have to say, it has been my "finishing" beer on more than one occaison.
There should probably be a separate category for this when it is served via Randall, because the fresh hops really makes a difference that can't be duplicated any other way.
The appearance is dark golden honey, with an average head and nice, sticky lacing. This beer smells phenomenal -- especially if you're a hop head. This must be what it's like to take a bath in hop oil-infused water. When you drink this puppy, the hops are omnipresent, but I don't find them to be completely overwhelming like so many other attempts at strong IPAs. The plentiful malt backbone really stands up to its acidic foe and takes it like a man. I taste pinenuts, orange doughnut, rosemary, and a very floral profile. I appreciate good IPAs, but I am not a hophead. As such, the long, lingering bitterness that haunts you after many over-the-top IPAs is not appealing to me. But this -- this I could drink all night.

bultrey, Oct 06, 2004