60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.39/5  rDev +7.3%

A: 1/4" head sits on top of a beautiful light golden amber beer. Head dissipates within a minute. Mild lacing remains through out the drink.

S: Great hop smell, citrus undertones.

T: Intense hops are well balanced with malt that comes through. Orange flavors come through, finished finally by the hops which remain well after consumption.

M: Carbonation fuels the great hoppy taste.

D: Very drinkable beer. The bitterness from the hops is not overpowering, and I wouldn't tire of this beer until knocking back a few.

This was my first DFH beer. My only dissapointment of this beer was the head. Poured in a snifter, perhaps my pour was not aggressive enough. Overall, a fantastic IPA. I'd like to do a side by side tasting of this with the 90 minute.

2.36/5  rDev -42.3%

Reviewed on 7/26/08. On tap at the Peculier Pub. Pours a clear gold/orange with a thick white head that left nice lacing. Aroma of dull citrus, pine, grassy hops. Flavor is an odd pine bitterness, pepper. Very watery palate. I don't know if this was a bad tap line...but this was gross and not enjoyable.

Update 8/3/2008: Had this in a bottle, bottled 7/10/08 so I know it's fresh. Ugh, the same super bitter, nasty hops with no malt backbone. Near undrinkable for me. Wow, what an overrated beer.
6/4/5/2/10 (2.7/5)

4.17/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

Slight head, nice lacing. Copper'isk in color.
At first I thought I smelled a coffee type smell, after getting a better whiff I noticed it was really sweet smelling and it turned into a citrus fruit smell almost like flowers.
As far as the taste, it starts as a smooth hop taste followed by a almost heavy grapefruit like citrus. Real heavy and thick feel in the mouth, not bad though. Iv never been a fan of IPA's but this one wasn't to bad. To me this isn't a beer I could drink at anytime, but never the less this wasn't a bad beer at all.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Crystal-clear amber body with a two-finger tall bubbly, white head that slowly fades into a quarter-inch blanket that leaves above average lacing.

Aroma: The second I cracked the bottle open, my porch filled with the smell of hops. On closer inspection, the hops are citrusy (specifically grapefruit and orange peel), piney and ride on top of a caramel backbone. There's also a strange smell, reminiscent of Orange Lucozade in there somewhere.

Taste: Hops are surely the showcase here, and they're bitter, citrusy, and piney. The sweet, biscuity malt character is very much in line with what the hops dish out, allowing for a near-perfect balance. It tastes like there's more alcohol than there really is for some reason. The aftertastes is biased towards the malt and booze, but the bitterness is still there.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and a little creamy with moderately-high carbonation.

Drinkability: With the brewery describing this as "the session beer for beer geeks like us," it better go down the hatch easily. Even with the moderately-high 6% ABV, 60 Minute IPA is certainly the most sessionable offering from DFH head I've tried yet (of course, most of their beers are well over six percent...). The hops are intense, but not to any level that keeps you from ordering another.

Verdict: When compared to the rest of the Dogfish Head stable, 60 Minute is certainly one of the least extreme offerings. But that's the point, DFH mean for 60 Minute IPA to be a balanced, very drinkable, yet still exciting and unique everyday beer. A terrific example of the American India Pale Ale style, and of beer in general. After this, I'm dying to try the four-pack of 90 Minute and single bottle of 120 Minute in my cellar.

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into a pint mug.

Appearance: Pale, golden-amber color. Virtually no head, and what little there was dissipated quickly. Left a tiny bit amount of lacing

Smell: Mmm...hops. Hints of oak, and a strong citrus smell, which grew stronger as the beer warmed (grapefruit was the most prevalent). There was a very strong hop aroma when I sniffed the bottle, but once I poured it into a glass, the grapefruit dominated.

Taste: Definitely more mild hops than I was expecting for an IPA. Got a decent hop kick at the beginning of the sip, followed by a rush of grapefruit, and a lingering hoppy/citrus aftertaste. The citrus provided a nice balance to the hops, but I felt the hops were a little too muted for an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Thick and highly carbonated. Excellent body for a 'lighter' beer. I was surprised for such a heavy mouthfeel, but it was a good thing.

Drinkability: I really enjoyed this beer. If I was in the mood for an IPA, I don't think it's the first thing I would grab, but it's definitely one I would buy again. Easy to drink, even for people who aren't pure hopheads. Left a nice warming sensation as it went down.

NOTE: This beer had been in my garage for awhile (this one was bottled on June 10 of this year), so it's possible that the age had mellowed out the hops. If and when I try a newer bottle, I might update this review. I'm guessing age did have an effect...but this was thoroughly enjoyable.

3.64/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A. crystal-clear golden-amber/copper with a finger-thick, dense white head that subsided fairly quickly to a thin film that kept throughout and left a consistent lacing to the bottom of the glass. Consistent release of carbonation

S. hops evident immediately via subtle, sweet citrus (grapefruit)

T. Butter, Almond(?), subtle citrus then malty just before a big hit of hops. Citrus aftertaste is refreshing and lingers.

M. Full and warm. Wraps the tounge and clings to the cheeks. Perfect carbonation.

D. Very smooth and easy to drink. Likely to become a regular. Will make a great summer beer.

Bottled on: 10/09/08
Poured into a tulip glass

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

A- pours a wonderful amber with a nice white head and lots of lacing
S- Citrus, Hops, hops, more hops, a little pine, grapefruit , very fresh
T- really fresh, alot of hops, a little less sryupy than the 90 and 120 in my opinion(most likely cause of the lower ABV)
M- carbonated, refreshing, the head is very refreshing
D- very good, a really well balanced IPA with such a low ABV

fucking love this beer, bring it on... I will def have this more

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

GLASS: Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
BOTTLED ON: 04/11/08

Nice, light copper color. Totally clear. 2+ fingers of fluffy, off-white foam head. Great retention and great lacing, also.

Naturally, hops are upfront, here. They are not totally overpowering, though. (Granted, this bottle is 6 months old, so they could have already mellowed a bit.)
Nice floral hop notes, with a citrus and pine background. Slight hint of some malt presence. Butterey yeastiness, in the background. Minor caramel notes.

Big hops here also, naturally. Very herbal and grassy. Bit of citrus flavor, too, mostly lemon with a hint of orange. Biscuity yeast taste mixes with a hint of malt sweetness. Touch of spiciness on the finish.
Not nearly as 'big' as I expect from an american IPA.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp and clean. Would be an excellent summer brew.

I'm not huge on IPA's, but if I were going to purchase one, this would be right around the top of my purchase list. This is a good, solid, yet unoffensive IPA.

3.73/5  rDev -8.8%

I saw that the LCBO (liquor store in Ontario) is now carried Dogfish 60, so I decided to pick up a sixer for a family gathering. No date, and it's clearly made for Canada, with French translations and such.

A - Big creamy head that dissipates slowly with nice lace. Transparent golden color with lots of carbonation.

S - Mix of biscuity malt and floral hops - not very bitter at all, but instead fairly balanced. There's also some spice and honey to it that is reminiscent of Midas Touch - does not remind me of the 90 minute at all.

T - Very English IPA feel to this, kind of like Meantime but not as good. There's only a slight citrus taste, mostly orange peel. It starts pretty sweet and then the spice kicks in - the hop bitterness only shows up in the aftertaste. I'm not sure what hops are used in this brew, but they definitely aren't my favorite. It's not bad, just not really what I want in an IPA.

M - Sweet, creamy, carbonation tickles the palate. It's probably the best thing about this brew...

D - Very easy to drink, doesn't taste like 6% at all. I just don't care for the flavor all that much. The carbonation might also slow me down after a few - gets a little bloaty.

I much prefer other standard IPAs like Stone and Southern Tier.

[Bottled on 11/19/08. Thanks for the date stamp!]

Wicked sticky head and a pretty clear light-copper color make this very appetizing to me. Apricot and fresh pine and cedar team up with honeyish malt to make the aroma of this beer very pleasant. Medium body is slightly prickly on the tongue because of the carbonation and the firm bitterness. The flavor is sugar-coated citrusy fruit with a bit of crushed-aspirin and honey and bready in the finish. Leaves the mouth dry and looking forward to another sip.

This one is tasty and easy drinking, so it is a good choice when you are going to have more than one. An all-around solid beer.

A: somewhat hazy light orange-gold color with a large, foamy white head with very good retention. Lacing is impressive.

S: Citric/lemony hops, with some definite floral notes. A yeasty, almost sourdough bready aroma as well. A bit of estery sweetness.

T: Some yeasty, sourdough bread flavor up front - mild but enjoyable. Then a rush of hop oil flavors: lemon and flowers, mostly. Peppery and almost nutty esters, with a touch of alcohol. A bit of bitterness, but mostly just loads of flavorful hops.

M: Smooth, medium bodied. Creamy, rather subdued carbonation. A nice oily hop presence without being extremely dry.

D: This is very tasty and, honestly, a bit refreshing. It's still a boldly hopped American IPA, but it isn't as aggressively bitter as some of its counterparts. It's still complex and delicious.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

I have had this fine brew many, many times. I don't know why I haven't reviewed it before now.

Poured from a standard 12oz bottle in pint glass. Moderate pour results a 1/2 inch with decent staying power, moderate lace. Color is a darker amber.

Nose- Floral, slightly citric hop notes. A fresh earthy graininess.

Taste- Tart Citric hops, lemon and orange zest. Fresh grain. A nice mildly sweet and tart finish. A bit dry, but no other hints of booze. Light and refreshing very good.

Mouthfeel- Active, tart, mildly astringent.

Drinkablility- Oh yeah baby. This is one of my go to beers. Well done!

3.63/5  rDev -11.2%

Orange-gold pour with a bubbly white head. Nice lacing on the glass. Hearty aroma of pine and citrus, with some malt. Taste is nearly the same, with more grapfruit than resin. Good balance of hops with malt, but a little too sweet for my taste. Still, its a solid IPA.

4.39/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Pours a pale copper with a fluffy half-finger head. Leaves decent lacing on the sides of the glass. Head retention is just average.

S - Great smell. Loaded with hops, with a bit of citrus - mainly grapefruit. Pine notes and malt as well.

T - Sweet and hoppy at the same time. Malt hits you first, then moves to a heavy hop presence and finishes with a slightly bitter yet sweet aftertaste. A very nicely balanced taste.

M - Typical to other IPAs I've had. Medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Leaves a slight coating.

D - Very drinkable. It's incredible balance would allow one to easily have a few.

A great IPA. Definitely worth trying out!

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my pilsener glass.

A- 60 minute pours a clear golden copper with a medium sized white head.
S- Citrusy hops, sweet malts.
T- Pretty sweet throughout. Lots of citrus hops and caramel malt, the finish is bitter and crisp. Not too bitter, not too sweet, very well balanced.
M- Very carbonated, thickness is typical for an IPA.
D- An excellent session IPA. One you could drink all night.

This is a beer that I've been drinking for a while and it's one of my go to IPA's. But, now that I'm actually sitting down to write about why I like it better than other IPA's I'm having a hard time putting it into words. I always have some difficulty reviewing IPA's because I'm not too familiar with how different types of hops taste. I think my liking it so much has something to do with how balanced it is.

4.02/5  rDev -1.7%

I have had this many times in the bottle and on tap. Its one of my favs. As its the only good beer on tap at my neighborhood bar, I had it tonight watching the game, and it paired nicely with the spicey calamari I had for dinner! It was poured from the tap into a pint glass.

A- Nice clear, copper color (like a new penny!). Small white head that fell rather quickly. It left some light laceing around the glass.

S- It had a strong citrus smell, mainly grapefruit, with some slight pine and malt aromas. It was very hoppy on the nose.

T- Started off slightly malty then finished mildly bitter with flavours of grapefruit and pine. Mild alcohol bite that wasn't over pronounced. Not as strong as most I.P.A.'s I have drank, but very balanced between hops and malt.

M- Medium mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation. It felt nice and lively on the tounge.

D- It is a very drinkable beer. It is slightly bitter without overpowering the taste buds and not to filling. It pairs well with spicey foods or just on it's own. It's a good intro to those new to I.P.A.'s or those looking for a every day beer with some flavor. Cheers!

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appears a rather flat looking orange-gold color with a half inch off-white head that sinks to a thin skim quite quickly.

Aroma has some caramel malts, nuttiness, and quite a bit of pine with some spiciness and a very light citrus tone.

The taste is hoppy right from the start with a heavy nuttiness and light caramel malt flavor. The hops are pretty intense with lots of pine and spiciness. For once an IPA without much citrus character.

Mouthfeel is medium, very crisp, almost harsh, but still pretty drinkable.

This is certainly a very different IPA than everything else out there. It works well but the harsh carbonation hurts it a bit. Wouldn't be my first three choices for IPAs but if you haven't had it yet I would recommend trying it at least once.

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

This was a nice simple IPA. I wold recommend this to someone trying to learn about beer. This is not a wimpy beer but a bit simple for a strong IPA drinker. For the style of beer it was an impressive beer. Great color and aroma and a nice bittery bit. A very nice nightly beer.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a clear light copper with a one finger head. Great lacing on the glass.

The aroma is pure grapefruit. Citrus hops, orangepeel.

The taste is sweet and malty at first. This turns into a refreshing bitter citrus hop character. Orange, grapefruit floral hops. The finish is bitter and the aftertaste is also bitter. Good depth of flavour. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation is medium soft. Im happy its not too carbonated.

Highly drinkable, and more balanced than I expected.

From Notes:

A nice gold color with a white head. There is good lacing as well. The nose is a nice hop. The flavor is slight bitter not much but slight. It's an ok flavor but there is a touch of an aftertaste. Overall a decent beer, there are better examples out there now.

4.29/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle from Monks Cafe in Center City Philadelphia.

Pours a clear dark amber color with a thick foamy white head. Aroma is dominated by citrus and floral hops. Excellently well-balanced quaffable IPA with enormous hop flavor and a nice malty backbone. Bitter throughout with a nice sweet malty balance and dry finish.

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a clear copperish/amber color with a 2 finger head. There is a good amount of lacing left on the glass.

Smells kind of woody with some floral notes.

Starts off with a malty sweetness backed up with the woody and floral taste. Just enough bitterness, doesn't leave an aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium, not heavy not light. Not too much carbonation either.

I could easily plow through a six pack if I don't control myself.

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a nice reddish orange color, with a white head that dissipates into some nice lacing. Nice color with continuous bubbling.

Smell was a touch fruity, slightly woody as well.

Taste starts a bit malty, very light bit of citrus in there. Finishes hoppy, but not overly so. I am not a big fan of IPAs, but this one is pretty good, the hops don't overwhelm like they do in some I've tried. Definitely a cut above other IPAs I've tried.

Mouthfeel was decent, not weak, but not as thick as some. A bit of a lingering hoppy aftertaste.

Was drinkable for an IPA, but being as this is my least favorite style of beer, that would limit what I would drink. Still, this is my favorite IPA.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

pours a nice light amber color. a decent one finger creamy white head appears on the pour. settles down to a centimeter or so of perma-foam. a steady fresh supply of bubbles continue up the center of my glass. nice amount of lacing. im excited.

smell is great. im getting woody notes. some slight citrus, a decent floral nose.

taste is great. im not used to trying east coast ipa's but if they are like this i think im a fan. semi sweet candy-ish malt up front. plays well with a nice woody flavor. its not oak. its not pine. not sure what it is but i like it. i have to push this one away to keep from guzzling it down.

mouth is medium bodied. carbonation plays a nice role.

drinks VERY easily. a bit high to be a session beer but i can see myself polishing off a few of these in a night. now to get on the hunt to find some more.

4.21/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Definately going to a "go to" IPA. It poured a nice bright copper with just enough foam to satisfy those head retention freaks out there. Good malt balance and so far no bitter hoppy after taste that usually lingers with most IPA's. I have actually this beer on several occasions but am just now getting around to reviewing it. Cheers!

60 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery