60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.68/5  rDev +14.4%

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA:

Packaged in September, reviewed in October: Crystal clear pour and a nice head the quickly settles to a thin film…promises of fine lacing. Nose is hops…no holding back here and very floral. Reminds me of my first real IPA, 60 minutes of joy. Taste is WOW…I love this stuff and suppose that is why I always find myself going back to it. Unique among the East Coast IPAs, and among the best session IPAs. Oily-slick mouthfeel with a hop bite that doesn’t hold back, without overkill on the ubiquitous grapefruit…maybe it’s the “Mystery Hop X”. And I was right about the lacing…subtle, but looks really nice in my Rogue American Amber pint glass. Drop dead drinkability makes this a true champ.

Cheers…

markman, Nov 09, 2004
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap, presented in a shaker pint.

Glowing golden amber elixer. Topped by 1/2" of creamy white foam. Swift moving carbonation.

Citrus & pine jump right out of the glass in a most impressive way. Some interesting fruit plays around in there as well.

Biscuity malt, & fruity flavours, quickly give way to a full on hop assault. Its like eating a grapefruit thats been drenched in pine sap - and I like it! Medium body, moderate carbonation.

xgrigorix, Nov 08, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer answers the question: Can A beer have too much hops?
The answer is a solid NO.
From the moment I popped the cap and smelled the hops, I knew this was to be a memorable brew.
The color is a bit light for an IPA, but the head is substantial and leaves little islands of hops inside the glass.
There is some sweetness on the tip of the tongue, but this ale is ale about the hops. The hop-flavoring due to the constant addition of hops throughout the boil is awesome. Hops coat the tongue from beginning to end, and leave a balanced bitterness that lasts long after the swallow.
I heartily recommend you treat yourself to a least a 6.

farHillsBrewer, Nov 07, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

This is a damn good pale ale (IPA). I love the taste of their beers. Similar to the Aprihop, but a bit more subtle. I could drink this all night. Smooth and tangy, Dogfish Head tastes like nothing else I've had. This is a nicely balanced brew. Not as overtly fruity or hoppy as some, but plenty of hops are there to balance the malt undertones. I would like to compare the 90 minute head to head to see the difference, but this has a good shot at becoming my #1 session IPA.

JohnnyDuvel, Nov 05, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a light amber color with a white thin head and nice lacing all around.

Scent is superb, sweet carmel malts, nice pine, citrus with grassy notes.

Taste: amazing, the perfect balance between the sweet malts upfront that linger just long enough, and then the explosion of hop flavors to follow. The malts are still there though, ever so slight. The finish is citrus, pine hop with just a hint of the malts still present. A bit O sweetness aint too bad.

Mouthfeel: almost creamy, it is sooo smooth. Light bodied and perefct carbination.

Dinkability is great. This stuff goes down so nice, I could put these away all day. One of my favorite IPAs to date. DFH has done the world a great service with this beer. WOW!!!!

trumick, Nov 04, 2004
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Clear deep gold with a bright white head and good lacing. Flowery hop aroma with a touch of pepper. Floral bitternes, a hint of spruce and citrus backed by a little bit of malty sweetness and bright in flavor. Medium light body with moderate cabonation.

This is a VERY drinkable IPA. I'd consider this a session IPA. I plan of drinking more of this.

frazbri, Nov 02, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer got me into IPA's. It is also the only beer that is "good to the last drop" in my opinion. In other words, the last sip is better than the first, usually its the other way around. I love this beer and so should you. Its got the taste of most IPA's then at the end gets flavor-full and sweet. It is great by itself or with a meal.

n8tron, Oct 26, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a clear amber with a white frothy head. Very nice lacing down the glass. Smells incredibly hoppy and acidic with fruit and floral undertones. Nice and pleasent smelling. Tastes just like a good, solid IPA should. Nice and hoppy at first with malts rounding it off on the finish. Very bitter without being overpowering. Very pleasant tasting. A great mouthfeel, very light without losing it's strength. A great, complex beer which would make a fabulous session brew. Definitly get your hands on this.

santoslhalper, Oct 25, 2004

This beer pours a nice golden color with an off-white head. The head slowly fizzles out to nice ring that sticks around. Good looking beer.
The smell is predominately hoppy. There really isn't anything else that stands out in the hops because they are so overwhelming. Not a bad thing. There is a hint of citrus coming through but not much.
The taste is pretty much hops all the way through. The flavor is pretty consistent on the palate front to back.
It has a nice mouthfeel. Good carbanation. It leaves a pleasant hop flavor in your mouth. Medium body.
IIt's a fairly drinkable beer depending on your hop preferance. If your a hop-head you could drink a few of these no problem. If not, you probably aren't going to even think of picking up a sixer of this.
I think it's a great beer. I definately would recommend it. I've been waiting for this beer to show up in one of my local stores for a long time now and I'm glad it did.

Brian700, Oct 21, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Clean and clear golden amber color, dense white head that offers modest retentionand minimal lace. Big, beautiful citrus and floral bouquet with a hint of malt sweetness, pine, and herbal notes. Starts with a kiss of malt which gives way to a punch in the mouth of luscious grapefruit and tangerine hops with noticable floral marijuana accents. Every time I burp it's like I ate a big bud of some dank...This is a tasty brew served right outa the cellar. I drink a lot of these. Beer is good.

AlexJ, Oct 20, 2004
4.05/5  rDev -1%

pours out a nice bronzen color with a quickly dissipating head.

nose is all about the hops with a speck of orange peel in there. no malt presence.

taste is a nice, invigorating level of hops. there is a taste of grapefruit on the edges somewhere. the crisp hops disappear in the finish, giving way to a gentle malt sweetness that brings a nice balance to this beer. quite nicely rounded.

i really enjoy the mouthfeel on this one; smooth, medium body with a lively carbonation at just the right tone.

beware old bottles on this one. my first 6pack was old, and i thought this beer a bit lackluster. i got a fresh one recently and it was a whole new beer. i even did a side by side, and the fresh was certainly different, in a nicer way.

trancefishy, Oct 20, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

60 Minute pours a sparkling golden amber, with a dense, bright white cap. Sticky lace trails in erratic smears and chunks on the glass , leaving little floating on the beer.
The aroma is sharp and floral- a victory garden and freshly squeezed OJ - sugary malt is in the background, but not un-noticed. Intensly hoppy but somhow balanced aromas invites the alpha acid lover in for more.
Flavors of soft doughy malt up front fade and blend into amazing and complex hop flavors on all levels. The aroma plays a big role in the flavor of this beer as you can pick out and match the aromas and flavors that flood your senses.
Very mellow, medium mouth feel support the hop dominance and while slightly on the thin side, provides exceptional balance and drinkability. Bitterness throughout and in the finish are less than I expected and allows the lingering hop flavors to be enjoyed instead of being over powered as in many more heavily bittered IPA's.
Outstanding example of the style, with a Dogfish Head twist. A great beer for those looking to really tastes hop flavors.

Shiredave, Oct 17, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +12%

This has been on draft via Randall the Enamel Animal for quite some time now at Bling Tiger, and I have to say, it has been my "finishing" beer on more than one occaison.
There should probably be a separate category for this when it is served via Randall, because the fresh hops really makes a difference that can't be duplicated any other way.
The appearance is dark golden honey, with an average head and nice, sticky lacing. This beer smells phenomenal -- especially if you're a hop head. This must be what it's like to take a bath in hop oil-infused water. When you drink this puppy, the hops are omnipresent, but I don't find them to be completely overwhelming like so many other attempts at strong IPAs. The plentiful malt backbone really stands up to its acidic foe and takes it like a man. I taste pinenuts, orange doughnut, rosemary, and a very floral profile. I appreciate good IPAs, but I am not a hophead. As such, the long, lingering bitterness that haunts you after many over-the-top IPAs is not appealing to me. But this -- this I could drink all night.

bultrey, Oct 06, 2004
3.2/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a dark straw-yellow color with a nice head. Aroma was hoppy and pleasant but somewhat subdued. Not overpowering. The taste was less than stellar. All I could taste were the hops, and I didnt find them pleasant. Very similar flavor profile to a SNPA, which I dont care for either. If you it, you will like this one too. Other than the taste, this beer was fine. Its not a bad taste, it just doesnt sit well with me. I traded a Stone IPA for the DFH and I lost in the deal. Not a bad beer, but not one I will go out of the way to buy.

rlcoffey, Oct 04, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

This is a solid IPA. Had this one on tap at the Moan and Dove, great place by the way. Good foamy head, which laces ALL the way down the glass, very snowflakey, very nice. Smells citrusy, lots of hops, lots of pizazz. Taste is very hoppy as expected. So many hops that it tastes bitter, which I think is what DFH might have been going for and is what makes this beer more unique than the average IPA. Mouthfeel; this tastes like a dry wine or something of the sort, almost feel like I need a glass of water after this one. Very interesting indeed. This beer is a standard IPA, very drinkable, but with an intriguing extra bitter/dry kick.

twelvsies, Sep 28, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Straw golden body with low carbonation, looks very much like a lager actually. Head is big and rocky medium sized bubbles, off-white, great clumps of lace and good retention.
The nose is hops, hops and more hops. A muscular spiced bitterness daring you to taste it.
This is one hell of a hoppy brew, delivers everything the smell promises. Hops so strong and powerful without being over the top. Malts are floating on top of the hops like the surf on a wild ocean, only way I know how to put it. Really a beer that can easily stand on it's own. Big presence, big smell and taste. Hay, grass, citrus and subdued and weak banana/pear. Very good lingering aftertaste dominated again by the hops.
Mouthfeel is excellently rough and textured, some coating.
Very good drinkability.
This is a brew that needs help from noone, I cant really think of anything this would go well with as it demands all your attention.

-Oelergud

oelergud, Sep 19, 2004
3.7/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours a murky orange with chunks floating in it. Foamy, rocky head, just a bit of lace. Clean, grassy citrus smell. Taste is surprisingly not all that hoppy, just a bit of bitterness, but there's a honeyish sweetness to it-not bad, but not what I'm looking for in an IPA.

Overall, not a bad beer, but not something I'd drive to Wisconsin for again...

skybluewater, Sep 17, 2004
3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours honey apricot-amber type gold hue with a quick 1 finger head settling down to a brush of foam within seconds. This one leaves a very nice lace on the glass especially for a bottled beer.

Smell is honey and malty and clean --almost ocean-like maybe a bit salty.

The taste is strong hops with some berries, fruit and malt. This one is hoppier than the Shelter pale ale they make and I still like this one better. It just tastes fresher. The mouthfeel is dry and salty but excellent.

Drinakbility is the one weakness. I am just not that much of a hop-head although Dogfish head is one of the better hoppy tasting beers readily available to me. Maybe I could have more than a couple - I don't know and I am not gonna try --at least tonight.

rousee, Sep 13, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Found a slew of DFH beers in Boulder at Liquor Mart on my way back to Utah, so I decided to smuggle some in...

Pours a lightly hazed orange-copper with a puffy, fibrous off-white head.

Smell is big. As soon as the cap came off, the hop oils started attacking my olfactory center. Resinous cannabis (Columbus hops?) smells come strong, with whiffs of fir sap and citrus peel. Since I've evolved into a hop head, I've come to love smells like this.

The taste is, as expected, very hop-oriented. Starts off with a flash of sugary malt, letting you know this actually was brewed using some barley. The resinous hops come in strong and stay strong into the citrus-bitter finish. I picked up some lingering patches of sweet malt as well. A nice IPA, although the hop taste was on the verge of being only two-dimensional.

Mouthfeel is sticky, medium-large bodied. I would drink this more often if it was available in either MN, or UT!

alexgash, Sep 07, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +1%

Pours dark amber with a big ol' puffy head. This'll get your mouth watering before you even smell it...

...and when you do, DANG. I hate to use a fey adjective like "pretty" to describe a beer, but this smells awfully pretty. If a girl's hair smelled like this, you'd fall in love with her instantly. The hops are evident in the nose, but it mostly smells flowery and citrusy. You'll want to spend a little time here before taking a sip.

And when you do, again, wow. Mucho hops, but balanced nicely with a malty/fruity finish.

Mouthfeel: I'll say the same thing that Linda Lovelace probably said about John Holmes- very thick and satisfying in the mouth.

This has such a strong and distinctive taste that I think you'd burn out on it if you drank more than a few at a sitting. But gaw-damn, this is a great beer. One of my absolute favorite IPAs.

diamonddave, Sep 06, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +12%

On tap 8/24/04 at Buffalo Wing Factory in Sterling, VA.

Clear golden color with a lower off-white head and decent lace. Who wrung out the wethops in my pint glass ?!? Huge fresh citrusy grapefruit hop aroma !! Nice hoppy taste without being too bitter -- decent balance for the amount of hops involved... Medium bodied and smooth with a pleasant bitter finish.

OK OK Maybe now I see why this one is so highly regarded now that I have had the draft version ... Much much better than the bottled version !!

RBorsato, Sep 03, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Sam Caligione is a genius when it comes to IPA's and hops
Although this beer isn't a monster IPA, it is by far one of the better ones offered in this area after a much anticipated arrival.
Served "Randallized" this beers appearance is a burnt- orange color topped with very a small amount of creamy white head that quickly disappeared.
The aromas are citrusy and sweet. The floral aroma of the hops kicks in as you put the glass to your lips. (oh my the hops). Cascade and Amarillo hops make a fine marriage in this beer and are not overpowering even with the randall hopping process applied.
The flavors are carmel and apricot followed by a dry bite of hops.
The finish is hoppy and dry without a lingering oily taste.
I was very impressed with the "Randall" and this beer, and look forward to trying it bottled as soon as I can find some and pick it up.

mudhoney, Sep 02, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Before I start, let me preface this by stating this draft sample was served through a newly-installed Randall, so this may differ from the bottled or standard-draft version. Will compare/contrast when I have the chance.

Pours a clear, orange amber, light with a thin to nonexistant head. Wonderful, bright, bright fresh hops aroma right on top; floral, herbal, fresh-cut grass but not enough to be off-putting.

Taste is rather thin and light for the style but with the same fresh, herbal taste present in the aroma. I expected a palate-raping experience from the effect of the Randall but instead its effect was subtle, more in the aroma than in the taste. Pale malt, gentile hops, very drinkable. Finish is back-of-throat dry.

Light mouthfeel, flavors the breath with hops. Immediate massive hops burps even with a small sample. Easily quaffable, the effect of the Randall is obvious and appreciated. A welcome departure from some of the overwhelming West Coast hop monsters.

assurbanipaul, Sep 02, 2004

I finally got around to tasting the last of the DFH "minutes". This is quite different than the higher octane versions, but it does restore my faith in DFH ales that aren't trying to be different ( the seemingly normal Shelter Pale Ale is a disaster)

Appearance: A bright copper color with abundant carbonation and a lacy white foam head of about an inch. Classic.

Smell: A very strong scent of hops with some citrus.

Taste: A very good IPA in my book. This had a dry malt base that stood up well to the hopfest that is this beer. Hops hops and more hops give a fruity, piney, flavorful taste and an alluring crispness in the finish. Not as sweet as some other IPAs, but not as bitter either. A nice middle ground IPA with distinguished hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Decent, the amount of carbonation gives this a lively feel, not overdone.

Drinkability: Good. I could have a couple and still not have my pallete shot to pieces. Nice middle of the road ABV, and a solid all around beer from one of my favorite breweries.

99bottles, Aug 29, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

12 oz. bottle that pours a reddish-golden color with a nice head that goes down to fine whitel lacing that remains present on side of glass. Aroma is of a pleasant hop with a slight floral scent. Taste has much more hoppiness then in aroma. Bitterness is present throughout taste especially coming through on the short crisp finish. Mouthful is that of an easy drinking beer.

matyp99, Aug 28, 2004