60 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

60 Minute IPA60 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 60 Minute IPA Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Our first Saturday night raid across the state line to Wisconsin netted us several beers but there was one target we wanted to acquire: a Dogfish Head IPA.

We found it. I couldn't even wait to cross back into Minnesota, & ordered one up at dinner.

Pours very light, almost like one of them soul-sucking macros with no alcohol & less taste. A thin but very persistent head that chases the beer more than halfway down the glass before quieting.

Tastes a lot more, I dunno, raw than most of the IPAs I've had, but the flavor evaporates quickly off the tongue. I can feel the alcohol tickling my nose hairs after a sip.

Very drinkable with a nice tart feel in the mouth. I could sip this one all night. Very nice.

Next target: 90 Minute IPA. April 2008.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

The quintesential american IPA. It helped to define the style, and it's one of my favorites. I think this one really helped me get into IPA's way back when.

Never reviewed it apparently, so here goes.

Yellow glowy gold with fluffy head. Clear and sediment free, despite being bottle conditioned. From what I heard though, it's because DFH has it's recipe down so good that they add jsut enough yeast for the co2/conditioning that there's no noticable sediment.

Pine forest with some grepefruit citrus in the nose.

Taste is hoppy with an unexpected yeasty/bready/biscuit flavor. Hops are bright sappy pine needles and a bit of tangerine/grapefruit.

A very approachable IPA. Drinkability and flavor is there, and I would use this to introduce anyone to the style.

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my first beer review, so here it goes:

Picked this one up at a local store because I've been hankerin' for a solid hop flavor.

Appearance - Poured it from a bottle into a pint glass. A great golden/bronze color. I got a one finger head that lingered throughout the tasting. Some great lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Reminds me of a beautiful day in the woods. Piney with a subtle hint of citrus.

Taste - A very balanced taste. The hops come right through and give a nice zest. I was expecting it to be more bitter, but once I got acquainted with it, I enjoyed it greatly. There's definitely a nice lemon quality in the background that helps even out some of the dryness.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth. A little on the thin side, but that may be because of the pour.

Drinkability - I think this has got to be one of my more favorite IPA's. It's a quality brew that I wouldn't be afraid of the aftermath if I had a few. I'm sure the 90 and 120 are much more bitter and intense (and something I definitely need to try), but this is a beer I could see myself grabbing more often, as its great and not entirely challenging.

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

12oz. brown bottle with born on date poured into a pint glass.

A: An extremely clear beer, golden yellow bordering orange. It has a nice white head that sticks to the glass and a steady slow bead of carbonation. A beaut!

S: Grassy hop aromas let you know this is going to have a bite. A mild malt aroma and faint alcohol finish the nose.

T: Nice and hoppy, just as advertised. Citrus in the form of grapefruit contribute to the complexity. Alcohol makes a brief appearance to give this a beer a clean semi-dry finish. The hops remain a tad longer.

M: Medium to light bodied American IPA with moderate carbonation.

D: A nice offering for DFH. I'd call this is a summer brew and fire up the grill.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Poured out a golden orange color with a small, white head that left soapy trails of lace.

S - It smelled very hoppy and of roasted malt.

T - It was quite hoppy flavored. It also had a smooth roasted malt taste - like burnt toast and biscuity. There was a nice bittersweet quality.

M - It was crisp and very sharp. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This may be the finest IPA I've ever had. It is easy drinking and delicious.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Both in the bottle and in the glass, this beer was incredibly clear. It was sweeter and less hoppy than your average IPA, creating a slightly creamy, delicious effect. The aroma was fantastic towards the end of the glass (I drank this beer out of a wine glass) and the aftertaste was excellent. This is an excellent beer that would satisfy beer enthusiasts and possibly serve as a gateway beer for people who only drink domestic lagers.

UPDATE: 01/21/09, scores averaged.

Dogfish Head 60 min, pint glass, Wild Wings café:

Appearance: Arrives a crystal clear, bright, light, tight-bubbled copper-colored brew. The effervescence is plentiful, fairly fast and fine, originating from about two-dozen distinct and separate nucleation sites, streaming upwards towards a surprisingly foamy one-plus finger almost entirely white head. The head retention on this one is above average for the style, much better than I remember, taking about forever and change to fade below half-a-finger. The lacing is similarly big, bold, snow-like, coating the sides of the glass. Quite the crisp and tasty looking brew. 4.5/5.0.

Aroma: Tangy and lightly spicy, with notes of freshly-picked mint, cinnamon, pine, citrus, all over an ever-so-slightly-roasted-but-still-largely-simply-sweet malt groundwork. Pleasant, though it doesn't jump out at me in the same way the taste does. 4.0/5.0.

Taste: Just a great balance. Lined up at the starting line we have the hops: grapefruit; orange; mint; pine; and floral. And they're off! Pulling into an early lead is mint, sharp, quick, light on its feet, cutting through the mildly bitter mid-morning air. But wait, what's this!? It's pine, spicy, heavier but nonetheless a contender, throwing his weight around on the lightly roasted, sweet though crisp track. But don't count out grapefruit and orange - they're well known for sneaking up on you at any moment, biting at your heels and your tastebuds. And here comes floral, never far behind, lurking in the background the whole race - or is it the foreground? He almost seems to float down the track, light, estery, petal-like, drifting, wafting all ghastly and thin though still firm and visible (testable?). All this horserace talk is nonsense, however, because it's in all honesty a photo finish, perfectly, even, perfectly in harmony. Classic and near perfect. 4.5/5.0.

Mouthfeel: Huge effervescence slices its way through a medium body, resulting in a creamy and even yet somehow prickly and fluffy body. It's nice, though perhaps a little overcarbonated. 3.5/5.0.

Drinkability: 4.5/5.0.

***
On tap at Falls Church DFH Alehouse.

Appearance: More formidable head than the last few beers, nice and crisp looking. Serrated, jagged lacing and active carbonation dancing around in a light amber, honey-hued body make it hard to avoid diving in.

Smell: Hops ahoy! Citrus notes are large and in charge here, orange and lemon, and a nice buttery, sweet malt presence makes itself known.

Taste: Hoppy, but not bitter - lemony citrus and piney notes compliment the buttery nuttiness and sweetness of the malt. Awesome balance.

Mouthfeel: Perfectly creamy and carbonated. Very full, very crisp. I have no complaints.

Drinkability: Stellar. My notes actually read "Great! Perfect! Awesome!" I was clearly both impressed and mildly tipsy by this point. Still, my observation stands - this is a great sessionable beer.

What hasn't been said about the DFH 60 Minute IPA? Considered one of the best east coast IPAs, and deservedly so, it marries sweet, caramel nutty malts and floral, piney, citrusy hoppy goodness about as perfectly as one could want. Bottoms up!

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

A- Pours a light gold/amber color with a bright-white head

S-Classic IPA Aroma of piney hops and citrus.

T-Hits upfront with the hop bitterness and smoothes out with a bit of malt and strong grapefruit.

M-Classic lingering bitterness but not overwhelming at all, has the necessary "bite"

D-A fantastic example of one of my favorite types of beer. This is a great IPA.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Pours a clear gold color. A two finger white head forms that is bubbly and rocky. Decent lace as well.
S: Lots of citrus and piney hops. Classic American IPA aroma. Some grapefruit with lots of orange and lemon peal. This smells delicious.
T: Plenty of hops, but lots of malt as well. A good balance of citrus fruits and biscuity, nutty, buttery malt.
D: Normally I find IPA's a bit hard to drink because of the bitterness. Not with this beer. Don't get me wrong. There is a substantial hop bitterness, but it does not detract from the drinkability. Smooth and easy drinking.

A fine IPA. It is not my favorite style, but I really enjoyed this beer. This is something I will revisit.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

This is the beer that served as my introduction to craft beer. I've had it enough, i figured i would finally review it. 12 oz longneck brown longneck bottle, cool label, bottled on date (mid january, 08) printed on the neck.

Pours a very clear gold color, seems a bit light for the style and the crystal-like clarity makes it look a bit sterile. Nice white head that retains well and leaves a fair amount of lacing.

Smell is definately hoppy. Lots of citrus notes, pretty classic american hop profile. Taste is fairly bitter, hoppy, some sweet malt in there to balance everything out. I really enjoy this beer.

Mouthfeel is a bit slick from all the hops, but otherwise is good. Carbonation cuts right through the sweet malt to make this one nice and refreshing. Drinkability is good for an IPA. I could drink these all night. Since this was one of, if not the first, craft beer that I had, it will always hold a special place in my heart. It is good and very enjoyable all around, but it is still just an american IPA. I love it, and probably always will, but it isn't going to blow the minds of those who have had dozens of IPAs before.

3.2/5  rDev -21.8%

Bottled on 12/18/07. Pours a clear, dark golden with a one-fingered head that quickly settles to a thin cap. A nice amount of lacing left on the glass during consumption.

The smell is not what I expected. A combination of musty, biscuit malt and pine aroma from the hops.

The taste is similar. The malt is more pronounced than the hops which is surprising in an American IPA. Leaves a piney aftertaste like cedar. I would rather have the hops upfront than in the aftertaste. It is not horrible but not great in my opinion. Body seems light and carbonation also seems low. The ABV is a little high for the amount of flavor a drinker gets.

For a beer that is a few months old it seems to have lost a lot of the hoppiness that other people rave about in this beer. Other IPAs seem to age a lot better. I better hurry up and drink the rest of the 6pak before it looses any more hop flavor.

3.68/5  rDev -10%

A nice amber color with a small off white head that leaves a little bit of lacing.

Smells hoppy. Pine, floral, grapefruit, hops and more hops.

The first thing I notice is of course hops, of the piney variety. Next it seems more grapefruity, finishing with the dry floral flavors. Throughout the beer, especially in the middle, I notice a nice malt backbone.

Good mouthfeel, standard for the style.

Drinkability is great, a beer that you could drink as long as your wallet will allow you.

This is one of my favorites, it's about time I got around to reviewing it.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Enjoyed from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

The beer poured with a clear pale amber body and had a big white head that left lots of creamy rings of lacing. It smelled of american hops, but was a bit more muted than I would have expected. The taste was very smooth and admirably well-balanced for the style, with the signature Dogfish Head hop oil flavor not overpowering a pleasant blend of malts. I would get it again.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Even our tasters who didn't like IPAs enjoyed this beer and found it drinkable. The hops were pleasantly intense, but balanced out enough by the citrus tones that made it palatable to even those who eschew hop-heavy beers. Hop heads, of course, also liked it. No one gave it a rating below 3, and it received two 5s out of 10 voters.

Overall average: 3.8

4.13/5  rDev +1%

I sampled this beer at a local tasting event featuring 17 class brews from east of the Mississippi and Canada.

A: It poured a deep, shiny orange and hazy body with a thick slightly off-white head that lingered and supported a dense lacing.

S: It was dominated by floral hops that were citrusy and fruity. There was also a malty and yeasty aroma.

T: The taste of the creamy, sweet malts dominated. There was a strong armoma of fresh doughy bread and the hops were citrusy and strong but well balanced by the malts.

M: It was creamy and medium bodied with aggressive carbonation and a tangy finish.

D: This was a very drinkable IPA. It was medium bodied, well bananced and it had a modest ABV.

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

wow what a great ipa, this one is good good good, bought this baby in a six pack and drank them all in about 48 hours. dogfish really know their ipa's, this one is by far my favorite of their 60, 90 and 120 min series. very drinkable, hoppy but not over the top, the dogfish is much more a dry bitter than the citrus that a lot of west coast ipas have. very good

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

On tap last night. This is one of those beers I used to drink a lot but took a long break from before I started posting on BA.

A - nice amber with a white head

S - citrus up front and all around, good hoppiness overall

T - sweet citrus up front, finishes with a nice hoppy bitterness

M - medium body, good carbonation

D - well yeah this is a totally drinkable beer! I could easily knock back several (or more) of these in one sitting. Having had it so much it's not something I immediately seek to buy/order, but I'm glad I went back to it last night. Look forward to having again sooner than later

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Fairly clear orangey golden colour with a couple of centimetres of white head. A bit of lacing is left down the glass.
S - First thing that hits is the citrus hop notes, passionfruit takes centre stage. Then the piney hoppiness comes out. The hops certainly dominate but in a very good way indeed.
T - Citrus and pine hop notes again are pretty dominating but the sweet, slight biscuit maltiness comes through as well. For a very hop-centric beer I didn't find it to be as bitter as what I thought it may be.
M - Medium body and carbonation. Slightly sticky.
D - I wish I could actually buy this here. It's very tasty (if you like hop driven beers) without being overpowering. Looking forward to the 90 Minute I have waiting in my fridge and one day getting hold of the 120.

Cheers to xtacyturbo for the trade!

DFH 60 minute IPA served from a bottle and poured into a traditional beer mug.

A- Nice amber color with off white head that quickly disappates. Some nice lacing as well.

S- Hops right away with a hint of citrus, or even apple.

T- Hops at the start, the middle and the end. The problem is I did not like the taste. There was just something about this beer. I bought a sixer and the first one I enjoyed. But upon further review I do not like this beer. I did not think there was such a thing as to many hops, until I drank this beer.

M- Not thin, but not as heavy as I expected.

D- maybe it is just me this beer bothers me. I like imperial stouts so it is not the 6% alcohol, not a fan.

RE-REVIEW

Ahh how the taste buds have changed through 2 solid years of Beer Advocacy. This is not just a good beer it is a great one. Hoppy Full of Flavor and lots of complexity. Drinkablity, my freinds and I order this by the pitcher now.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Nice orange/amber color with a good, light-colored head. This beer isn't going to turn any heads, but still looks inviting.

S: Has a fruity, hoppy smell. The aroma promises good things.

T: The fruitiness from the hops hits first and foremost, but is then balanced by an appropriate amount of malt. Fairly crisp and clean, especially on the finish, but there's a lingering bitterness that tells you to take another sip.

F: The mouthfeel is perfect for this type of beer. It plays around a little due to the good amount of carbonation, but it doesn't distract you. It's smooth and puts taste first.

D: This is one very easy to drink IPA. If you like hops, it's got you covered, but it won't scare anyone away. At each stage of the sip, there is something different offered. It's probably easy to get carried away, but it's just so charming and welcoming while being amply daring. This is definitely one to keep on hand.

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

From the bottle into a pint glass. It was a nice clear orangish amber color. About an inch of off-white colored head that doesn't stay very long, but nice lacing is left behind while you drink. Nice citrusy and hoppy smell to it. It has a nice clean hoppy taste with a bite at the end. Might sound like all hops, but the malts provide a great backbone, which gives the brew great balance. Mouthfeel is clean with a medium body and appropriate carbonation. Drinkability: i always end up drinking more than one and try to keep it as a staple in my fridge.

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Rich amber pour with a surprisingly short lived white head in a tulip-ish glass. Smell was a soapy, clean, almost herbal or piney big hoppiness. Very fresh, clean tasting, and surprisingly restrained hops in the taste. Quite easy drinking, and even though it opens up and bitters slightly more as it warms, its still somewhat mild, and has a nice honey sweet malt backing. Very enjoyable, especially for such a widely available and reasonably priced IPA in the area. I will definitely get this again.

On tap at the Richboro Pub.

A - a slight orange hue with a fine fluffy head a top.
S - can we say hops? Excellent presence of citrusy hops that truly dominate the aroma of this beer.
T - A solid malt backbone provides a decent foundation to this IPA. I believe DFH uses warrior, amarillo, and palisades hops in this beer. And you can really get the full effect of the citrus base of these hops.
M - This really can be summed up by describing this beer having a full "IPA" mouthfeel. A smooth mouthfeel that isnt harsh due to the heavy hops.
D - a 6 pack is a must. This beer is just too good to have one.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours from the bottle a bright, deep gold color with a thick, off white head. The head eventually diminishes to float just on the surface leaving lots of lacing down the glass. The smell is very pronounced, as I think it should be. It's full of pine and citrus notes that are lovely. The grapefruit aroma is complimented by an assertive malt profile followed by subtle yeasty notes. The taste is malty with alot of grapefruit and orange character and the bitterness smacks you in the face as it dances on the back of the tongue. The mouthfeel has a medium body to it and rolls around the mouth with the carbonation leaving a slight sting wherever it lands. I love this beer and can't wait to try the 90 minute and 120 minute versions!

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Had this on tap at North Third in Philly with their Atlantic Salmon dish, and was very pleased.

A: Served in a pint glass. Golden orange with a two finger white head.

S: Smells of piney hops, remained throughout drinking

T: More of a citrusy IPA, but no shortage of hop bitterness. Very tastey.

M: Smooth medium bodied beer. Goes down very easily.

Overall, a very enjoyable IPA-- one of my favorite. I enjoyed the beer much more on draught than in a bottle, not that I disliked the bottle. On draught the citrus and pine notes come out a bit more through the hoppiness. Would absolutely drink again if it was on tap.

60 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery