Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an oversized wine glass:

A- Orangish autumn color with a creamy tannish head

S- Smells wonderful. Pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg are the main scents.

T- Tastes of pumpkin and cinnamon with a nutmeg kick at the end. Also has a nice hop character that adds a bit of bitterness to the flavor. Pumpkin flavor is nice but not overwhelming. The spice is nice.

M- The mouthfeel is fantastic. Smooth and carbonated perfectly

O- My first pumpkin beer. Quite tasty, and definitely want to revisit this one often

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

Huge thanks to kadonny for sending me this beautiful brew
A= pretty average all around. The color was pretty appetizing. A golden color with a 2 finger head that stays around for longer than I expected. Good lacing as well
S= ooooh very nice! A pumpkin smell dominates of course, however its not like an average pumpkin smell. This is real pumpkin not the pumpkin pie smell. There's some toffee malt smell in it was well
T= pumpkin up front, real pumpkin like the smell. Then seperatly the pie spices come in which is unique. Then the finish is like delicious vanilla ice cream. There's a cinnimon taste in it as well somewhere in the middle I noticed after it warms a little.
M= high carb and average body
D= high, overall this beer is by far my favorite pumpkin beer I've had. Its unique and delicious. The seperation the the real pumpkin taste and the spices blew me away great beer!

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

A - Pours a slightly hazy amber orange. Nice strips of lacing left behind.

S - Allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, gingerbread among a bready malt base. Hints of alcohol and toasted sugar coated nuts.

T - Same as the nose. Pumpkin with pumpkin pie spices - nutmeg being the strongest. A toasted maple sugar sweetness. The hops add an interesting orange character to the mix.

All in all, it's pretty balanced. Spices are good and It has more actual pumpkin flavor than most. The alcohol comes through more than I would have liked. One of the better pumpkin beers out there.

4.14/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

So this was my First "Foray" into Craft Brew and out of "Piss in a can hood" call it beginners luck or whatever you want but this is a great tasting brew in all respects! its sufficiently bitter enough though not so much that it becomes hard to Drink, no real "up front Pumpkin flavor to speak of though its in the aroma for sure the taste comes into play after you've taken your sip and let your mouth warm back up a bit then you get that Pumpkin or should I say "Punkin Pie" taste creeping in, not a bad drink at all its GREAT like it so much I pick up a case yearly and share it with my Bro's & Ho's respectably of course! =D

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

12 ounce bottle, with freshness info notched onto the label. 2004 batch. Pours medium golden almond in color, clear, with a white head and leaves a decent amout on lacing. Bready malty nose. Full bodied and rich mouthfeel. Nice depth of malty body and flavor. Pumkiny undertones and spices evident but in background, adding to complexity and intrigue. Usually this is not my favorite type of beer, but this creation is a winner. Tasty brew, an obvious choice to go with hearty fall dishes, can you say Thanksgiving dinner?

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

12 oz brown bottle into a SA Perfect Pint. It's cold outside and the leaves are falling... time for the pumpkin beers.

Punkin Ale pours a transparent amber/orange color. A dense off-white head forms and falls, leaving a mild covering. Hints of carbonation. Doesn't leave too much lacing.

Smells like a malty ale, but after awhile the spices penetrate the nose and you can detect the cinnamon and nutmeg.

Strong spices in the beginning and middle. The cinnamon works nicely with the malt to have that wonderful cinnamon and sugar flavor at the front end, then the more aggressive spices take over at the middle to finish out the pumpkin pie flavor. End with an aftertaste of mild and creamy pumpkin, usually more apparent when warm.

Carbonation adds to the element of spice, and it finishes a little wet.

Well, it's 7% ABV, but still wonderfully drinkable and not too, too heavy.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Hazy, muted bronze in hue with a peachy gold infusion; lovely! The head was beige; there were about two fingers of forth before the bubbles quickly faded to a thin, soapy cap. This mini-head stuck around awhile, at least the beer wasn’t left naked. Sadly, the subsequent lacing was minimal, only a few spots here and there. Still, overall, this is an attractive looking beer.

The nose is fleshy… meaty… in a pumpkin kind of way. Sure, there are “pie” spices but the malt and pumpkins really shine in the nose. The nutmeg and cinnamon are second fiddle; this is almost always the opposite. Kudos to DFH for that! I’ve only smelt one Pumpkin Ale meatier (which was from Platte Valley Brewery in Kearney, NE… the beer is not even listed on BA (I only had a few ounces of it)). So, officially this is the best smelling Pumpkin Ale I’ve had. Moderate but firm potency and without a doubt I find the nose inviting. Yummy!

The palate is very tasty. Hearty. The abv plays peek-a-boo, it is hidden but I can feel it. There is great bulk… plenty malty for the style. Plus there are lots of pumpkin flavors. It is earthy in spots. Nutmeg and cinnamon are found in the middle and they last to the finish. But at no time to they outshine the “body” of this beer. This is a very healthy pumpkin ale. It has a spicy finish with a malty residue. I say screw making this a seasonal and go year round! Very tasty! I see why this beer is so highly regarded; it blows away almost every Pumpkin Ale I’ve tried.

The label says, “A full bodied brown ale.” I never believe brewers when they use the word “full bodied.” However, I’d call this beer medium/medium full in body. It is hefty on the tongue. The bulk and abv indicate this beer is a sipper. I say, gladly! I don’t want to see this beer end.

Very drinkable, dangerously so! I could knock back a six-pack on a cool fall day. I am very impressed with this beer. I now want to taste more beers like this… I wonder if any can match it. I’ve heard good things about a couple other Pumpkin Ales; I will try them next fall. I want to thank RedHaze for the bottle. It was lovely stuff, thanks! To nonbelievers… try this Pumpkin Ale. You will convert.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

I was finally able to track down a four pack of these!

Appearance - Poured into my SA Perfect Pint glass. Pours a dark amber color that, dare I say it, actually reminds me of what a real pumpkin looks like? A quick trot into my living room and I hold up the glass to the pumpkin chilling there, wishing he was made into some great pumpkin beer. Indeed it is true! The color is almost a perfect match. At this point the finger and a half of head is receding at a medium pace, leaving just a bit of lacing on the glass.

Smell - I had barely poured an ounce of this beer before smelling the wonderful spices. Nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar, and a definite pumpkin aroma fills the nostrils. My god, did I by mistake liquefy my mother's amazing Thanksgiving pumpkin pie somehow and inadvertently poured it into my SA glass?

Taste - Exactly how it smells. The spices are on the forefront followed by a very "pumpkin pie" taste. The drink finishes with a nice clean malty taste which leaves you just begging for more...and which I indulge myself.

Mouthfeel - Creamy, medium bodied with low carbonation. I was surprised at the low amounts of carbonation when I poured this, but was even more surprised at how well it works with this beer. Overall, a pleasure in the mouth (that's what she said).

Drinkability - Unbelievably so. For 7% abv and being a pumpkin beer, I have to physically restrain myself (what a great picture that must paint) from running to my beer cabinet and opening another. Foolishly I only purchased a single four pack whilst in Huntington Beach for my good friends bachelor party...not realizing that if I did not have more self control the four pack would be gone as of tonight. Instead, I somehow have to make these last me until Thanksgiving. Perhaps I will give two to my fiancée and make her hide them where I won't find them. Anyway, all in all this was a great surprise and made me realize how cruddy the other pumpkin beers, that I had thought up until now, were somewhat good. I will seek this out next year for sure!

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Picked up a four pack for the first time this year. Poured it into a clean pint glass.

A. It poured a clear brown with about 1 inch of slightly off-white head which left some lacing as it settled.

S. Very appetizing smell that brings up some cinnamon and earthy aromas.

T. Good flavor profile that begins with a light yeast flavor followed by cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice flavors.

M. Light and smooth with some carbonation as it hits the tongue. Leaves a pleasant aftertaste that reminds me of eating a nice stew.

D. Always a good choice this time of year however no more than a couple at a time.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

App - Beer has a very orange to amber color to it with a fear streams of bubbles going to the top leaving lace from foam here and there.

Smell - The smell of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and slight caramel come to the nostrils first and in the back you can smell the pumpkin and the malt used for this beer.

Taste - Cinnamon and nutmeg mingle at your palate until they wear off. Then a bit of a copper taste interrupts and transitions the beer to it's pumpkin/nutmeg-like finish. This beer is strong on the nutmeg but is balanced with enough malt to keep it from being obnoxious.

MF - Between medium and heavy. Can be laborious on the palate but is still an enjoyable trait (at least to me)

Drinkability - This is a warming beer and is perfect for the transition of fall. Medium finish means food is not necessary with this one or anything to cleanse the palate.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

A: A clear golden pour, sporting a creamy white, billowing head. Retention is pretty nice, pulling back in quite a uniform manner.

S: This is a nice sniffer. A well balanced scent of toasted malt and pumpkin flavours are blended with the spices that have been added. A lot of others tend to bring out the cinnamon, while I detect much more nutmeg and pumpkin here. It comes across smelling like a pumpkin pie, crust and all.

T + M: A spiciness dominates, but it manages to do so without becoming a negative experience. The big body gives it some weightiness that pulls the flavours over the tongue to a warming finish, where notes of alcohol come through. Much of the flavour is like taking a well-made pie filling and getting a taste before it hits the oven. The body, with that creamy edge complements that very nicely.

D: A little on the bigger side, and that's okay. It's somewhere between gratuitous gulping and mindful sipping, and I can work with that. While I commend DFH for their experimentation and willingness to try unusual things, I find their brews to be rather touch and go to my palate. This is a fine example of an experiment that went the right way. Recommended drinking.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The departure from the 12 ounce bottle produces a clear copper color with a stupendous off white creamy head that last longer than the energizer bunny, lacing is a solid sheet, which circumnavigates the glass. Nose is sweet with Pumpkin and spices like cinnamon and ginger and a touch of vanilla, quite a treat for the old schnozzle. Start has a nice pumpkin and malt sweetness, light bitterness at the back, top is light to medium in feel. Finish continues the sweet malt and spicy taste, the acidity plausible, aftertaste sweet and tart, a fine beer.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance - Still not much head on the tap; same as the bottled version. More amber-orange than I recall. A very nice caramelized brown.

Smell - Perhaps it's my allergies, but I don't smell much here. Faint spices and sweetness.

Taste - This is how I remember the beer tasting from last year. I've been a bit disappointed with the bottled version so far this year. The tap brings out much more of the fresh pumpkin I've been waiting four. Sweet brown sugar and other spices accompany the gourd.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - I definitely prefer the tap version of this beer over the bottled one. It has a lot more of the fresh pumpkin taste I've been longing for. There is also a delicious mixture of spice throughout which stands out more in the tap-version. Very solid all around.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Hazy tawny bronze. Thin, but stiff and dogged head leaves sparse lace. Aroma comprised of buttery caramel and nutmeg, with medium toffee and nutty brittle tones. Understated cinnamon and ripe fig esters as well. Very well rounded and appetizing aromawise. In flavor, a browned butter drizzled toasted biscuit impression is the dominant malt presence. Stately, slightly herbaceous allcpice and citric hop combination is an undertone. Lightly bittered, with balance skewed towards caramel, but sweetness never becomes cloying. Subtle bubblegum esters emerge as it breathes, helping facilitate a candyish overall suggestion. Well calculated and integrated pumpkin spice presence. Full dextrinous body and viscous, but not syrupy in mouthfeel. Finishes with soft alcohol warmth and brown sugar sweetness, lending a lingering spiced hot toddy impression. An excellent "pumpkin" ale, with judicious spicing and a simple malt backbone with girth. Very tasty and well crafted.

A: Burnt Caramel Brown

S: Spiced Pumpkin flesh, caramel, warm spices, some sweetness, and something that I couldn't quite put my finger on that was making my mouth salivate. Maybe my mouth was just becoming aroused!

T: That Pumpkin really comes through up front, nice malty flavoring, high hops. Spiced were not at all intrusive. Just right

M: Full bodied with mild carbonation

O: I can't say enough about this beer. As I've been going on quite a fall-seasonal beer tear, this has got to be the best thus far. The pumpkin is right in your face and not hidden by any spices, which is pretty common with pumkin ales i feel. Also, there is a nice balance of malt and hops here that makes it very pleasent to drink. I love this brew. I wish Dogfish wasn't down in Delaware, cause I'd be soliciting at their doorstep trying to get in and bathe in the kettle every day.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint.

A- pours a nice dark shade of clear orange with a 2 finger white head. Head sticks around forever and ever, which I approve of

S- lots of cinnamon, pumpkin, and nutmeg...smells like a spicy pumpkin pie. Really pleasant

T- pumpkin that's sweetened up by the cinnamon and nutmeg...doesn't lie about what it is. I like the sweetness, it helps balance the flavor a lot

M- body is actually a little thick. Works with the sweetness well, though

D- I'd get horribly sick of this if it was around the full year, but for a couple months...yeah, I'll drink it. Nice for the season

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured into my pint glass/tumbler. This beer pours a clear copper/brownish color. The head is about about 1/2 of an inch thick when poured before eventually settling to a thin surface layer leaving a white ring lining the inside of the glass. Not much lacing here either. Aromas of pumpkin and spices such as clove, cinnamon are certainly present. The taste is pretty much the same as the smell. Flavors of pumpkin, brown sugar and the aforementioned spices are present along with some malt undertones and a slights hint of hops. A good taste, but not anything super great here. Has a crisp, full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink indeed, as a good beer should be. Another solid effort from DFH.

Eric

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

12oz bottle served in an oversized wineglass.

pours an orange/amber tone with less than a finger of white head that dissipates somewhat quickly; minimal lacing. nice hue although the head leaves a little to be desired.

the nose is a really nice bouquet of fresh pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, maybe some brown sugar... better than i remember from last year's batch. very pleasing to the olfactory senses. taste follows through nicely; not quite the robustness of flavors as the aroma indicated they might be, but close. definitely a tasty pumpkin brew. pleasant mouthfeel, medium-bodied with medium carbonation. very drinkable, obviously with the caveat that you appreciate pumpkin beers.

i was underwhelmed by this beer last fall; not sure if my palate changed or this has, but IMO it has stepped up its game. not a favorite for best of its class but clearly it's in the discussion.

originally reviewed: 09-05-2010

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a bottle into a standard pint glass, a good 3/4 to 1 inch of head and a good amount of carbonation. Dark copper color.

Smell is way sweet and pumpkin-y. After drinking it, the smell gives a misleading idea of what is to come.

First comes the standard pumpkin/cinnamon/nutmeg flavor, but immediately following and balancing the sweetness is a roasty dark malt, almost a brown ale flavor. Very drinkable due to the subdued pumpkin spice flavor. Mouthfeel is great due to the carbonation. Also, according to the bottled on date, the beer is about 2 weeks old. Could drink a few, but sharing a 4 pack so 2 is it!

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Pours a clear copper color. A two finger off white head forms and leaves some nice rings of lace behind.
S: Peppery spice and yeast in the nose. Pumpkin spice. Bread and biscuit.
T: Pumpkin pie, just like I expected. Some good spice, that does not overpower. Very malty. Some caramel and bread/biscuit flavors. I like this.
M/D: A medium body that is low on the carbonation end. Not watery at all though. Creamy and smooth. Very easy to drink for a high alcohol beer and heavily spiced to boot. I will have no problems putting a few back while watching college football.

This is a very good and flavorful beer. Something that is perfect for fall. I'll take this over any watery and thin American made O'fests any day.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

For some reason, I don't get into all of the seasonals, particularly pumpkin. However, by chance I had a sip of a friends the other day at the Gingerman and was quite impressed. I didn't know it was a pumkin at all, which made me order another one to give it the full scope.

A: Poured into a pint glass, to produce a dark orange on top and transparent lighter side from the bottom to the light. An initial heavy big two finger head that drops quickly to minor lacing and early indication of how Dog Fish does not brew light ABV beers.

S: If you want pumpkin, you got it in this one folks. Sharp spices and bulkier body versions of pumkin almost completely dominate the aroma. Slight dashes of dark sugar.

T: A nice surprise and change of direction from the nose. The level of spices and pumkin is completely controlled by roasted malts and Cascade hops floral elements. Further swirling gives you some caramel and fruit motifs in minor versions.

M: A Rich, smoth and creamy finish for something I would expect to be light and tart. Carbonation is not heavy and in relaxed state that kept me smiling.

D: I take my hat off for the boys at Dogfish again. Just when you think they will always go for the extreme beer and assault you with multiple spices and bang, this is a more relaxed and low key version. Still quike pumpkiny in flavor but a great variation of the style.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

This beer poured an amber color, very clear, with about a one-inch head in my pint glass that dissipated very quickly

The aroma of this beer is fantastic with clear pumpkin, cinnamon, and many other spices coming through.

I was surprised after the first sip because I was expecting something sweet and this is far from it. I could taste a ton of spices but they were tough to distinguish. There is a pumpkin taste throughout but more in the background.

This beer reminds me a lot of the Raison D Etre but I find this one much more drinkable.

I haven't had many pumpkin ales but after drinking this one I am very eager to try more.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Tried a 12 oz. bottle of this from my buddy kboett77. No freshness date marked on the bottle. Pours a beautiful... well... pumpkin color. Lovely dark orange. Small white head that only sticks around the edges. Smells of pumpkin, bread, pumpkin pie spices like cinnamon, star anise, and sweet toasted grain. The flavors are sharp and dark: pumpkin, the bread again, pie spices. Mouthfeel is bright and effervescent. A tad watery, but not bad. Overall, a very drinkable Pumpkin Ale, and a fine example of the style. Not as smooth as some (such as New Holland's Ichabod or Weyerbacher's Imperial), but style a great Pumpkin Ale. I would gladly reach for this one again.

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery