Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,996 | Hads: 6,020
3.17/5  rDev -18.9%

A nice dark amber beer with a very small tan head. There was a sediment at the bottom which I didn't pour into my glass. It smells like a good ale, but with a heavy nutmeg aroma. This isn't as bad as many other Pumpkin beers I've tried. The taste is ok, I just don't like this kind of crap in my beer. The mouthfeel is good, without the decent body and 7% alcohol this beer would be undrinkable (by me). As for drinkability, yeah I might have another one- next year. (466 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

A 4pack of 12oz bottles. No date when packaged. It was an orange color with a thin white head. Nicely carbonated, some decent lacing. It had a sweet, spicy aroma, mostly nutmeg. Pretty sweet taste all the way through, and I thought a fairly sharp spice presence (? allspice). I found it to be a little thin in the mouth, and not a beer I would want a lot of. (358 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

Appearance: Brilliantly clear pumpkin-amber in color. An inch and a half of off-white colored head rises, lasting a few minutes before eventually receding to a ring.

Smell: Pumpkin pie spice, with nutmeg especially standing out. There's a bit of squash-like aroma, but I wouldn't necessarily identify it as pumpkin. Beyond the spice, there's actually not much.

Taste & mouthfeel: Caramel sweetness, pumpkin and a motherload of spices. It tastes like someone knocked the spice rack into the brewing kettle. I do enjoy pumpkin pie, so this is fairly enjoyable stuff, but they went a bit far here. A medium body and moderate carbonation make this easy enough to drink, but the spices add a slight astringency to the finish that I could do without. A good brew all the same, probably one of the better pumpkin beers I've tried.

Notes: Not bad, but becomes a chore to drink after a while due to the excessive spicing. (915 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

Medium to full bodied and quite spicy, I was apprehensive about the pumpkin flavoring at first, but quickly won over by this seasonal beer. Almost as if you're drinking in the turning of the leaves. I haven't found a Dogfish Head yet that I didn't like. (253 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

12 oz bottle, part of my recent BIF 3.0 package. Poured a deep amber, with a fairly good head that didn't stick around long, and minimal lacing on the glass. Aroma is allspice and maybe a hint of cinnamon, but weak and even lacking in pumpkin. It smells more like a spiced ginger ale. Taste is more of the spicyness with some hops thrown in. This isn't a bad beer, for my first punkin beer, but I find it a little lacking in the body. It has a good start and a decent finish but it needs a kick in the middle. (509 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

A: Crystal clear amber orange. Tiny head which quickly disperses leaving very little lacing.

S: Cinnamon, molasses, pumpkin pie with a subtle malt sweetness.

T: Spice up front with residual cinnamon bitterness that persists through the finish. Slight touch of alcohol covered well by spices.

M: Medium bodies; lighter than I would have suspected for this style of beer. A little thin for my taste.

D: Would be great with desert after dinner... maybe with rich vanilla icecream.

Overall, I was a little disappointed. I haven't had many pumpkin ales, but was hoping for something a little richer. (599 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours a nice clear copper color with a weak head that disappears.

Smells like allspice. Can't say I can pick up anything else.

Flavor seems the same as the smell. It starts off as a weak beer, then ends with allspice, pumpkin, and nutmeg. The aftertaste has quite a bit of bitterness. Heavily carbonated.

I'm not a big fan of pumpkin beers. I'm not even a big fan of pumpkin pie, don't shoot! And don't tell grandma. (425 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours frothy into a nice lacy head... color is similar to bourbon, but with LOTS of carbonation... aroma is as expected- pumpkin pie. Flavor is a bit thin for me, with a little too much pumpkin, and not enough malt to balance it out... it is much better than the macro pumpkin beers that always pop up this time of year, mainly due to the higher alcohol of this... if I put myself in the mind of a winter warmer, it becomes more palatable to me... I might like this to be a bit darker, with less pumpkin, and more spice... that might round it out better for me. (561 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

The bottle called this a brown ale with pumpkin spice (and some other shit)... I was expecting it to look like a brown ale based on this. Instead, this was a coppery amber color, perfectly clear, with some cream colored head at the top.

The smell and taste were among the better attempts at pumpkin ale that I've had the chance to try; but I've really only had one that was worth drinking... And I don't think this was anywhere near the caliber of that one.

The strong point of the beer for me was the mouthfeel. Everything else was 'meh'. Nothing special. (558 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

Nice golden orange color with a relatively nice thick head the disipates fast. A little astringent in taste to me even after pouring into a pint glass. Also had this on tap at one pub and enjoyed it much more. A little to spicey for my tastes but would still reccomend to try it. (279 characters)

Type: Pumpkin Ale
Color: Amber
Body: Lightly carbonated.
Head: Almost non existent. I poured it and the tiny head just disappeared.
Taste: The lack of a head was made up for by the taste. The first thing you taste is most definitely taste the brown ale first. Robust dry taste led by lots of spices pumpkin being a nice addition.
Aroma: Very robust and dry. You can definitely smell the cinnamon and nutmeg. You almost can't smell the pumpkin until you detect it's slight aroma.

This will be a fine addition to my wall of fall beer. Trying this beer brings me one step closer to trying all of the pumpkin beer out there! (621 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

Bottle served in a standard 16oz glass.
A - average, amber, light head.
S - earthy malt, almost sour.
T - strong brown ale at first, weak hints of pumpkin. First taste finished with pumpkin pie. Subsequent tastings were more of strong brown ale, somewhat sour/bitter and less, almost non-existant pumpkin. I really had to hunt for the pumpkin flavor at times but when it did appear it was like a bite of pumpkin pie.
M - Harsh from carbonation. Otherwise average.
D - Most likely pass on this brew due to the bitter finish. I'm not a fan of brown ales. I would not consider it a disappointment and would recommend to any brown ale drinking. (646 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

A - Orangish amber color with a small white bubble head that dissipated leaving the sides of the glass clean.

S - Pumpkin and nutmeg dominate, with a bit of cinnamon thrown in for good measure. There is a graininess to this and a bit of alcohol in there.

T - Get a decent amount of pumpkin pie taste on this one. Nutmeg and cinnamon and some nice pumpkin. A grainy, malty, lagerish taste on the end as it finishes sour and with a bit of alcohol. Not horrible.

M - Light bodied, moderate carbonation bite adds what seems to be a spicy kick.

D - Started out good, but got harder to drink as I went, got through the bottle with just a bit of difficulty at the end. (665 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours a nice copper color, but with very little head and no lacing. Nice scent, very pumpkinish, with pie spice, although it's almost too pieish and not enough aleish. Nice taste, same with the taste, with a lot of spice and bit of hops in the aftertaste. Not the smoothest pumpkin ale, but not bad. It's worth a try, but I prefer Blue Moon's, it's easier to find, cheaper, and just as good (in one of the rare cases of a macro being just as good, or better, than a craft). (473 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

12 oz. bottle, courtesy of BA r0nyn.

Poured into a nonic pint.

Pours a translucent dark-orange to brown color that generates a sizable white head of fine bubbles. Tons of carbonation activity throughout the glass with little to no lacing after constant swirling. On the nose, it's very pumpkin heavy with some hints of malt. Can't really differentiate any of the indicated spices on the front label from the pumpkin-laden aromas.

Taste is total opposite from its smell - sweetness from the malt and caramelized sugar is actually more predominant than the pumpkin. But towards the middle, the subtle spiciness from the cinnamon and all-spice becomes present on the tongue and finally ends upon a slight hop bitterness and boozey heat. Good overall taste with a bunch of flavor components. This pumpkin ale has a medium-bodied mouthfeel with adequate carbonation. Drinkability is fair to good. Not one of my favorite beer styles but overall, it's pretty decent. Very fitting for this coming autumn season. (1,006 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

A - pours a bright orange, cloudy color. Tiny white head, not much lacing.

S - slight pumpkin pie aroma, getting some cinnamon notes.

T - very spiced. I taste cinnamon, brown sugar, and not enough pumpkin like I enjoy my other pumpkin ales.

M - not very good. A little less carbonated and thinner than I prefer.

D - the mouthfeel and taste don't help this beer out. And, and 7%, I taste some heat in the aftertaste. If they had more pumpkin flavor, it may have masked it.

O - there are better pumpkin ales out there. (522 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a burnished copper color. The head is very fluffy, if not the tallest at only a finger. While the off-white colored head doesn't have great retention, it does leave a ring of lacing on the glass.

S: Dogfish Head actually didn't overdo it with the spices - and that's a good thing in this case. Many times, I've had a pumpkin ale that smelled good but tasted unpleasantly spicy. This smells like it's full of brown sugar, with a touch of gourd character and spicing only existing as a subtle background note. So I'll probably like this more than the Pumpkinheads of the world.

T: Actually, the bitter nutmeg character seems to come through more strongly than the nose suggested. And that's not a good thing in this case. A pleasant canvas of brown sugar and caramel sweetness open it up, with the slightly problematic spice notes appearing in the middle, and fading away as more is drunk. The finish is faintly nutty and mineral water-esque, with something resembling hops occasionally.

M: It's a weird combination of full-bodied and sharp (due to the carbonation). Somehow, this works to give it decent drinkability combined with the dry finish. Once the carbonation fades, it becomes merely full-bodied...and loses its drinkability in the process.

O: It's not great, but it's better than a few others in the style I've had. It has potential as a pumpkin ale for those who don't like pumpkin ales. It's also reasonably complex and only offers a mild spice note. But to me, it still tastes a little uninspired. It's been a while since I've properly enjoyed something from DFH (I think it was a 2011 bottle of WWS), and this doesn't quite change my mind about that. (1,710 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

I was kind of disappointed in this seasonal brew from dogfish and I am beginning to think that most of their beers get more credit then they deserve because they all taste the same in just little ways. You can totally taste the alcohol in this one and even though the pumpkin taste is very good and very real it does not make up for how boring the rest of the brew is. I don't know if I just do not care for these pumpkin brews. I have had a minor handful of them, (not talking dogfish head) and still have one that i thoroughly enjoy. The only reason i come back to them is because i love pumpkin but have not yet found one that translates into beer. I would totally pass on this one, i think dogfish gets to much credit for beers that all taste the same in ways. Overpriced and not worth it. (793 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle with the usual recycled paper label, but this one has their symbol in a pumpkin. Below that is all the list spices that went into this beer. To the far left of the label is a notched year. Mine wasn't notched, but this is the '08 edition.

I know this is a Pumpkin Ale, but I poured this into a Unibroue tulip anyway. Out of the bottle comes a beer that was golden amber in color was with a decent 1/2 an inch fluffy head of white foam. This head of foam had really good retention that left behind a small white film and few small blots of lace.

This Pumpkin Ale smelled like they burned the Pumpkin somehow. It was hard to get pass the burned pumpkin, but when it was swirled around, a touch of pale malts, a hint of brown sugar,a splash of nutmeg, and a dash of cinnamon emerges from behind the burnt pumpkin.

They did not burn the pumpkin in the taste. They managed to isolate that in the aroma. The taste was lightly toasty with toasted pale malts and ripe pumpkin. After the pumpkin is where it got spicy with brown sugar, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon. At the end of spice line is where the taste gets slightly hoppy with some crispy spicy hops. I liked how the taste went from the malts, to the pumpkin, to the spices, and then finishes up with the hops.

This was a light to medium bodied beer with a slight dry pumpkin aftertaste of pale malts, pumpkin, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Not a bad Pumpkin Ale at all. I liked how this Pumpkin Ale relied a little bit more on the pumpkin that on all of the spices. I wouldn't mind another one of these. (1,572 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a light, clear orange color with a nearly non-existent head. The nose is spicy, even for pumpkin beer standards. There's a strong nutmeg aroma, with some cinnamon and allspice in there, too. (I swear I smelled these things before I took a closer look at the bottle!) It's so strong that gives the beer a hot smell. The aroma is attractive, but I wonder if I'll find the beer to be too hot.

Yep, this is a hot beer for 7% ABV. There's an undercurrent of vanilla before the spices come on strongly in the middle and the end. With some warming, some alcohol beings to creep into the taste. I find my opinion of this beer sinking with each sip.

This beer doesn't compare well to Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout (another beer in my horizontal tasting), which does a good job of masking 7% ABV. I'm finding this beer to be too hot and a little too boozy. I probably won't buy this one again. (889 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -17.9%

This is a bit different than most pumpkin ales. This has much more spice coming from the nutmeg and cinnamon additions, and a nice sweetness from the brown sugar but not too overbearing. This is more of a spice type of beer with some pumpkin flavoring, rather than the pumpkin being the main focus of the taste. Definitely interesting and worth trying, especially if you aren't always fond of how sweet pumpkin ales can be. (423 characters)

Poured from 12 oz bottle

Appearance: A dark amber brew with a small, off-white head. Head dissipates quickly leaving little to no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Sweet malt with hints of spices. No discernable pumpkin smell.

Taste: Initial hints of spices giving way to a slightly sweet malty middle that finishes with a somewhat dry, hoppiness, also a bit alcoholic. Aftertaste leaves slight hints of pumkin pie.

Mouthfeel: A little too carbonated for me and rather watery and thin.

Not what I was expecting and not one of the better DFH beers IMO. Didn't have any real pumpkin flavor and smell. Alcohol was fairly well pronouced as I warm up after drinking this brew. An easy drinker but not one that I will seek again. (732 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -17.6%

A - Light amber in color with a big creamy head that dissapated into a thin cover pretty quickly.

S - Caramel Malt Smell. I also smell a strong pumpkin smell, but it's a raw uncooked pumpkin smell.

T - Has a caramel malt flavor with a touch of pumkin. Also has a fairly strong spice flavor: nutmeg, cinnamon,and such.

M - light to medium bodied.

O - No that impressed with this one. Thereare much better pumpkin beers out there. (433 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -17.6%

A - A clear orangish copper with a small head and no lacing.

S - Strong pumpkin, high vegetable notes, a bit of a pungent rice like aroma.

T - Vegetable pumpkin flavor is very strong and a bit of cloves.

M - Very thick, smooth, slightly refreshing.

D - Not too awful. After one, I don't exactly look forward to a second, but the beer itself was not a struggle to drink. This is one of the most pumpkin flavored pumpkin ales around, but it is lacking in the pumpkin pie spices. If that is how you like you pumpkin ales, then go for it, but I'll sooner take Weyerbacher's Pumpkin. (590 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Let me start this off by saying I'm a huge pumpkin beer fan, that's the style of beer that originally got me interested in anything other than piss water (Coors, Bud, Miller, etc) after college. I'm not sure why people seem to like this so much, there are a lot of other better pumpkins out there that most people have access to. All in all I'd say its slightly above average but only because there are so many breweries out that make a shitty pumpkin beer only trying to cash in on the style. It's worth trying but for the amount you're spending on a 4-pack of this I'd go for a different pumpkin depending on what you have access to. (635 characters)

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery