Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,062 | Hads: 6,329
4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

This is an excellent winter beer, perfect for the holodays. It pours a hazy amber color with a nice frothy, sticky head that about 1 finger. Also has decent lacing. As for the aroma spices, spices and more spices. There are hints of hops, citrus and pumpkin, but boy are ther spices. As for the taste here we go. It starts out with the taste of hops and citrus and finishes with the spices. The mouthfeel is awesome. Absolutely delicious with thanksgiving dinner. This is a light bodied beer that is very drinkable. A must try in my opinion.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a clear orangey amber. Nice frothy head with lacing that lasts throughout...

Aroma is typical Dogfish - unique to the style. A lot of cinnammon up front, giner, pumpkin spice...and the patented peppery dogfish aroma...

Taste - Pure pumpkin pie - cinnnamon, pumpkin spice, ginger, and that dogfish pepper hit at the end. Nice malty body in the middle...

Mouthfeel - Smooth like pumpkin pie....

Overall my favorite pumpkin ale so far. Enthusiasts usually reject this seasonal...but not me...

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

i was quite wary of this one, as i had only had one pumpkin ale in the past (forget which one, but it was a while ago) and it was simply awful. the DFH punkin' ale is quite the opposite of that. this could surprisingly be a fun session ale. it pours a nice amber colour with a minimal head that does not hang around for very long, but leaves a solid lacing. the smell scared me at first...ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and of course pumpkin. it reminded me quite a bit of harpoon's winter warmer, a beer that i loathe. thankfully, the taste of this one made me forget the similarities to the winter warmer. it echoes the smell, relying a bit moreso on the pumpkin flavour upfront with a spicy finish, but everything is quite subtle and subdued. flavour is not shoved down your throat, but hinted at throughout, which made this brew that much more enjoyable. i'll definitely be looking to sample this every fall from now on.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

12 ounce bottle poured into my dimpled mug. Punkin pours a relatively clear orange fading to amber, with a small head made up of very tiny bubbles that rise maybe a quarter of an inch above the liquid. The aroma is at once arresting and intoxicating; liquid pumpkin pie. Spices hit the nose first, with nutmeg, clove, and spice arriving simultaneously. Pumpkin follows, though there’s also this candied yams type character as well. From the moment the beer hits your lips you know you’re in for a treat, as a crusty malt backbone holds all of the pumpkin pie flavors in place. This beer is roughly a month old; and the taste is somewhat faded. My previous experience with this beer was near euphoric; the age on the beer hasn’t done it any favors, and dropped it into the echelon of very good. That’s not to say this beer is no longer worth your time, as it remains one of the shining examples of this style. The malt in this beer acts as a framing, much as a pie crust does in a pie. There are no hops here, and why should there be … this is a unique beer and hops would just get in the way of the flavor profile of the spices and pumpkin. Too often brewers get heavy handed with spicing beers of this type, luckily the folks at Dogfish have not fallen prey to this mistake. A very enjoyable take on the pumpkin beer style and one I wish that I could sample more often.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

A- Am inviting amber color with a 3/4" head that faded fairly quickly.

S- The smells are definitely all that are listed on the bottle; pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I can't really put my own spin on that truth.

T- The first thing I taste is the nutmeg, then that fades to the other 4 tastes I listed above. Again, it's hard to put it better than the bottle says. It isn't like a lot of pumpkin ales you may try, in that it isn't like eating a piece of pumpkin pie or some other pumpkin desert (note: I'm not saying this in a negative manner whatsoever).

M- Medium mouthfeel. The plentiful spices tingle the tongue on the way down.

D- Overall a very good beer in my opinion. It went down pretty easy even with all of the spices. "Would I have another?" why yes I think I will now. I will be sure to buy some more to make sure I have some for Thanksgiving dinner!

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

On tap at Kickbacks in Jax. Poured into a Unibroue tulip. Kegged in 8/2008. Aged for 15 months, in my opinion the perfect age for this ale. Head quickly disappears. Brown sugar, nutmeg, pumpkin and sweet malts seem to dominate as the hops have faded into balance. (If you want the hops, get it fresh.) Taste is also very sweet, much more so than fresh. ABV is totally hidden by the sweetness of the malts and spices. Great rounding off of the sharp edges with a bit of age. Love it fresh, and really love it at a year.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to froggyfrog for the opportunity to try this beer. He brought back a growler from the brewpub for me. Thanks a million bro!

Appearance: Pours a bronzed brown color with a small head.

Smell: The aroma is dominated by cinnamon and nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice and of course pumpkin. It is more rich than some pumpkin ales with dark malty/brown sugary aromas and a hint of alcohol.

Taste: Starts out easy and sweet with a growing in intensity as it moves across the palate. A few swirls across the tongue reveal; great depths of pumpkin pie flavors. Brown sugar, nutmeg, caramel, cloves, pumpkin a bit of drying alcohol and a little bit of herbs showcased in the finish. The aftertaste is a bit dry leaving the lips smacking and wanting the next sip.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy a bit juicy slick with little carbonation (maybe due to growler or could be built that way). Regardless the beer seems to slip easy down the throat.

Drinkability: This is ridiculously easy to drink. I think this may be the best pumpkin ale I have had yet. It is like holiday punch beer. Super tasty and in as much it may be a fantastic beer I think it was a good thing I didn’t have a full growler or it'd all be in my intoxicated belly.

Hope this is helpful.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Seeing this beer with a date on bottle of 8/7/06 only means that fall is on the way. Pours a nice amber colored with a fluffy head that leaves some lacing behind. The smell is amazing on this finely crafted brew, let me first say that I'm a big pumpkin fan, any type from seeds to pie to just eating the damn thing while carving it. I can smell a very strong spiced pumpkin smell, like when you first start carving one and sticking your mug directly inside the pumpkin, also smell a bit of clove sweetness in there, I truly love the smell of this crafted beer and whish they would bottle it as a cologne. The taste is awesome what I smell I taste, just with that bit of hop bitterness that we all love from those crafters at Dogfish, awesome. Don't be fooled when you drink that 4 pack and wonder why it went down so smooth, the alcohol is so well hidden that I can't even detect it. Seeing this just makes me smile knowing that summer is over and fall is upon us, simply beautiful.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Bottled on 8/18/06 (less than two months drank it)

Pours orangish copper with a decent head that soon went to a lasting cover. Some lacing was left.

The smell is of pumpkin with cinnamon and nutmeg. Smells similar to a homemade pumpkin pie.

It's nearly a pumpkin pie in a bottle, with some warming alcohol. The taste is spicy - cinnamon and nutmeg especially, but they do not overpower the solid pumpkin taste. There's a brown sugar coating.

It's on the lighter side of full-bodied, more solid medium bodied. Creamy and smooth, though the alcohol is just a tad more noticeable in the feel than it should, but still acceptable.

Bottom line - it's a nicely spiced pumpkin ale. It's not as over-the-top, or unusual, as other offerings from this brewery. It's just a well-done, enjoyable pumpkin ale. It's one worth considering to accompany a pumpkin pie dessert on Thanksgiving, or just to have when in the mood for the style.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured a fantastic deep orange, amber with thin head. Nose is pumpkin and cinnamon. All-spice lingering. Honey-sweet malt presence. Sweet start with high carbonation. Pumpkin dominates the rest, and the all-spice has a clove-like effect. Crisp mouthfeel. Highly drinkable!

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Growler, from Bellport Beer. The aroma of this spicy ale alone was enough to make me think about buying a barrel and saving it for Thanksgiving. I think it would be a near perfect ale to serve with such a hearty dinner with family and friends in attendance.

The deep amber ale tasted like a malty version of local apple cider until a wash a alcohol made its way into the moment and then it turned into something resembling barleywine. The taste was the reward of the aroma as it lingered on well after it was gone. It had me dreaming of scenes in the Fall...great ale.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a bottle a clear orangish-rust color with a small foamy white head. Very little lacing with this one.

A very nice pumpkin aroma without coming off as over-spiced or artificial tasting. This beer is a high-quality ale first combined with a balance of pumpkin spices and malt.

The taste is like the aroma. Well-balanced and nearly perfect.

Medium mouthfeel and lightly carbonated.

This beer gets better as warms and is my favorite pumpkin ale of the season. Easy to drink and enjoy. Well done, DFH.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into my pint glass small head with a copperish/orangish tint to it. Smells like pumpkin but not too strong. Tastes just as the bottle reads pumpkin and spices. A bit of strong taste and mouthful but otherwise good. Overall a good beer especially during Octoberfest

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

This poured with a two finger, white, fluffy head. The body itself is a cloudy orange-brown color. No visible carbonation due to the color. On the nose, it’s all those wonderful fall smells you hope for with a pumpkin beer: cinnamon, clove and hints of pumpkin. I’m all about pumpkin, so this is right in my wheelhouse. On the taste, there is a lot of hearty pumpkin which is sweet on the end. The fall spice is a little more subtle in the taste and lets the pumpkin flavor take the front seat. It reminds me of a less sweet pumpkin pie. The finish is quick, but the booze is easily hidden. This is easily one of the best pumpkin beer offerings around.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

I had this in my fridge for a good 5 or 6 months. I was saving it specifically because I wanted to review it.

Anyways it pours a light copper/whiskey color. Nice head that did recede a bit.

Oh boy talk about spiced. I pick up scents of pumpkin, cinnamon, and some light malts in the background. It smells like a pumpkin pie.

I partake...it's smooth. The profile starts with a cinnamon spice followed by a hop bitterness and finished with a sweet pumpkin. Now I remember why I was saving this for review.

Like I said, it's smooth, I'd say medium bodied, and very drinkable to me.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

An excellent fall ale from DFH.

Pours a translucent orange color into my pint glass, with a 1.5 finger head that lasts for about 90 seconds or so before dissipating into lacing on the glass.

Aroma is of pumpkins, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, clove, and a tinge of alcohol.

Taste is of plum and pumpkin, very crisp rather than creamy. A crisp, clear taste of pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon .. some hops are evident. Flavor comes out more as the ale warms, this one should be served a bit warmer, maybe just below room temp.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean, very pleasant. 7% alcohol limits drinkability, but still, it is pleasant to consume a 4-pack over the course of an evening.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

A - Wow. It is a beautiful hue; reminiscent of a Les Paul sunburst maple finish. The head is quickly relegated to random white wisps sans lace, but the color is so radiant that I will overlook that...

S - The aroma seems to strongly suggest the point in pie-baking where the total caramelization and the fusion of spice and gourd lets you know that the pumpkin pie is done; time to take that bad boy out of the oven!!! As such it is highly delectable, pervasive, and yet not overwhelming.

T - The taste follows the aroma faithfully, with the only new perceptions lent by the roasty brown ale base; the impression is that of washing down a bite of savory-sweet pumpkin pie with a swig of lightly toasty mild brown ale.

M - Lighter than medium, softly effervescent, and good overall.

D - This is a damn good beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This brew pours a very nice golden, copper color. It doesn't have much of a head, but what head it had was small and off white. It does leave a bit of sticky lacing throughout the brew however.

The aroma is very nice. Not over powering, but full of some amazing spices. They include, but aren't limited too cinnamon, allspice, brown sugar, caramel, nutmeg, and nice chunk of pumpkin. It smells just like a pumpkin pie at thanksgiving.

The flavors on this brew mix perfectly. Many times on pumpkin brews there is to much spice and not enough pumpkin or just the opposite and you get pumpkin water and no spice. But this brew goes down sweet and smooth, with a great sweet touch with the brown sugar. Its very nice.

A nice medium bodied brew, with a sweet, smooth mouthful. It also is at a perfect amount of carbonation for the style.

This is once again another great brew by DFH. One of the best Pumpkin brews I have had to date. PumKing is always been at the top of my list in this style, but this is a very close second. I stated earlier in the review, but the brown sugar stands out making this brew flavorful and sweet, but not to sweet. Great Job DFH

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from the tap into a pint glass

The color is a clear orange/amber with a finger of foamy white head and some nice lacing left on the glass.

The smell is big pumpkin with a touch of spicy aroma in the nose. There is nice malt sweetness there as well and is right behind with slight bitterness that is from the hops.

The taste is again pumpkin that is out front to meet you as that first sip goes down. Once the pumpkin is out of the way the spicy flavor is there all through the middle and makes this a bit of a spice bomb. Things mellow out a little at the end till there is a bit of bitterness this is the last things that comes out.

The feel of this beer is smooth and well balanced. There is a big pumpkin flavor but does not seem too big as it goes down and leaves a good spicy pumpkin aftertaste.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

It's been a while since I had a Punkin Ale! I think It's been couple of years.

How I have forgotten how good it is for this style. It's not my favorite style at all, but I think this hits the spot as opposed to some other pumpkin ales I have drank.

The aroma was kicking it up for me with spices and nutmeg really hitting my nose. The appearance of the beer was enticing as it should be. Well, maybe that's the knowledge I'm going to get relatively high ABV that got me excited?

The taste is reflective of what I smelled, and that's always good. The nose stimulates your palate, eh? I certainly can taste the nutmeg and whatever spices they're putting in this beer! I admit, I can't pinpoint anything else, really. It tastes just dang good. It doesn't overpower you as some other lesser pumpkin ales would.

Mouthfeel's just right. What can I say?

Overall, I think I can only handle this once a year, because the spices are too much for me. It doesn't mean it's bad, it's just a strong flavor profile. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to experiment with pumpkin ales.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from geryeb624, Thanks! Poured into my goblet.

Appearance: A nice light copper, with little head or lacing.

Smell: I can smell most of the spices listed on the label plus a little earthy hops. The brown sugar sweetness is especially nice.

Taste: Now this is a pumpkin ale I could get into. None of the tastes or spices are dominant, they all mingle so nicely. I taste pumpkin, a little cinnamon, and the holiday spices, followed by some hop bitterness. Really balanced and smooth

Mouthfeel: On the fuller side. Slick and oily, coats the mouth with flavor. Carbonation is spot on.

Drinkability: I have not found a pumpkin beer I liked until this one. Oh how I wish this was distributed here. Could have several of these in one sitting. This might be a good one to share with BMC drinkers to open their eyes.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Perfect beer for the fall season. Perfect accent to the other flavors and smells of fall.

The pumpkin flavor is present, but not dominant. This is still a crisp ale with a strong backbone of bready malts. Other spices are present, mostly nutmeg, the cinnamon is faint.

Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. Not much alcohol burn or warmth. And no bad aftertaste.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Pours a hearty, clear copper color with a white head that has a very slight orange tint that dissipates down to a persistent ring.

S: Cinnamon is the first thing that hits me. There is a sweetness in there. The problem is that I didn't let it warm up enough. There we go... Now the nutmeg and allspice and, of course, pumpkin come out a little more.

T: When at the proper temperature it tastes wonderful. Don't drink this too cool or you'll miss a lot. The flavors follow the nose closely and dance across the palate without stomping it into the ground. The sweetness that was noted above almost seems like brown sugar now.

M: Well carbonated. It has a little of a bite but not from the alcohol content which is higher than expected. I think it is the cinnamon that is leaving a slight dryness but it's different than a hoppy dry.

D: I would say this one is a keeper. The higher than expected alcohol content encourages me to enjoy one per session. But this is one that I will keep in my rotation of fall seasonal beers. If you get a chance to try it, go for it. It's worth it.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

A - Almost "punkin" colored. A golden orange color with a creamy off white head. Decent retention.

S - Nothing overpowering, very balanced. Smells of yeast, pumpkin spices, malts, and hops. Everything kind of comes through as a blend with nothing overpowering.

T - Pretty much like the smell. Let this one sit out of the fridge for a little while because none of the flavor comes out when it is too cold. As it warms you get the pumpkin spices with a nice balancing hops. A well spiced brown ale just as marketed. Theres an aftertaste just like pumpkin pie.

M - Good carbonation, not to much which allows it to remain somewhat heavy, however enough to give you a tingle on the tongue. The weight to it is just enough for a good fall brew.

D - Very good. Remains smooth while packing a ton of flavor, and the aftertaste doesn't linger too long, just long enough to be very pleasant.

Overall a very good beer. Nothing over the top here, and also nothing to let you down. Great for getting you into the mood for fall. I really like the level of spice in this one, its enough to satisfy someone who is in love with the style, and low enough to still be enjoyed by someone who may not have had the style before or may not be a huge fan of the spicier pumpkin ales. Good beer and one I look forward to as a seasonal.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

I know I have had this bottled before (I need to review that) but today I had a very nice glass on draft at the Winking Lizard on Coventry.

It has a very nice moderate aroma. The taste matches this closely but with a nice ale balance. Like the best of this style, I could have had another. The aftertaste is very nice as well.

As I remembered it, this is much better on tap than the bottle was.

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery