Microbrew Invitational

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale brewed with real pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon & nutmeg.

Added by NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

Reviews: 2,071 | Ratings: 6,400
4.31/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L- a darker shade of brownish orange, with quite a small head that dissipates quickly and leaves a few spots of residual bubbles after only a minute.
S- getting the pumpkin and spices up front, exactly what you would expect for the style. smells somewhat sweet, maybe the brown sugar.
T- very well balanced, with all the flavors working well together. malt, and cinnamon, pumpkin, and a slight alcohol taste.
F- medium feel, with low to medium carbonation.
O- personally im a fan of pumpkin beers and im glad I tried this one. traded a friend a terrapin pumpkin fest for this one. I believe this is my first year trying this beer and I will look to buy it again next year

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance - A nice golden amber color to very pleasant. the head sits around for quite sometime nice and foamy.

Smell - a toasty nutmeg and caramel with an all spice kick to it.

Taste - a nice nutmeg and caramel kick to it, didn't taste to much of a pumpkin flavor like i had anticipated, more of nutty feel to it then anything. Overall an explosion of pleasant flavors to it.

Mouthfeel - This beer i have to say is one of the most pleasant on the mouth, perfect carbonation, little foam action, and little breakthrough of warmth from the alcohol.

Drink - Absolutely smooth

A top 3 pumpkin ale in my opinion

Had on-tap at Local 44

DFH Punkin Ale poured a crystal clear amber with ample white foam that quickly dissipates. The aroma is dominated by pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg and allspice especially with an vegetative green smell from pumpkin. The beer is sweet up from with scant bitterness but a nice spice kick that lasts through the finish. The malt provide ample body and complements with a graham cracker flavor. The pumpkin also provides some body with a carbonation that is spot-on. For those that like pumpkin beers, this is good drinking.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

The sight of this beer is a good sign that summer is on the way out. I had this years edition at the brewery in Milton last week. The beer poured a hazy dark orange color with a medium tan head and solid lacing. The aroma is spicey. Nutmeg and cinnamon dominate the nose but also leave way for a pumpkin aroma. The taste is equally spicey and some really good pumpkin flavor but is it not overwhelming and doesn't taste like a slice of pumpkin pie, it tastes like a pumpkin beer and that is why I enjoy the DFH brew so much. It is well balanced and has a nice mouthfeel and they do a very good job of hiding the 7% abv.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

From the first sniff, this reminded me of one of my favorite fall beverages, the Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie, but I do like pumpkin spices, and this has them all over. Cinnamon and nutmeg abound in the aroma, and again in the flavor.
Good finishing hop bitterness to counter the sweet malt and spices. Very nice effort from Dogfish Head.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Dogfish Head Snifter.

Color: Medium brown with an off white head.

Smell: Pumpkin (obviously), cinnamon and malt.

Taste: Nice malt taste with a hint of sweetness. The cinnamon and sugar are present. The pumpkin is not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth with a light dry finish.

Overall: I have never been a big fan of pumpkin ales. Dogfish definitely did this one right! The pumpkin is not the main flavor and not too strong. Best pumpkin ale to date. Cheers!

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a light amber into a DFH snifter, with a slight head. The smell is where this beer becomes impressive. Brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a sweet aroma that may be pumpkin. The taste, however, is even better than the smell. Nutmeg, Cinnamon, pumpkin, and a delicious lingering brown sugar taste. It has a medium body, very drinkable. The only thing that prevents me from drinking several at a time is the price and the ABV.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

2009 Vintage, on tap at Barley's Greenville - 5/20/2010.

Hazy golden orange in color. Smells wonderfully of brown sugar, nutmeg & cinnamon. Not much in the hops department, but that's not really expected. Flavor is caramelly, spicy and warming. Almost makes me wish it were fall already instead of late spring. Almost. Has an interesting souring finish. don't know if that is a product of a bit of age or not. Regardless, this is a very nice pumpkin ale, probably my second favorite behind ST Pumking. Happy to finally have this soon in SC.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Bought a single bottle from the Bier Stein in Eugene.

A: Light hazy brown

S: Smells like pumpkins. What more could you ask for?

T: The pumpkin is very front, but there is also so many spices like cinnamon, cloves, and some other stuff I can't really recognize

M: Very tasty, I really enjoyed drinking this beer

D: I would probably drink this beer again, I'm glad I got to try it at least once.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

The color of pumpkin pie with very little head after only a few seconds. It is clear and crisp looking. On tap it is slightly frothier but into a pint glass is very still.

The appearance and aroma - pumpkin pie spices of clove, nutmeg, cinnamon - combined with the appearance evoke autumn.

The taste is sweet and malty with only very light hop bitterness. It is loaded with spice flavor: it truly tastes like a mouthful of spice and the soft flavor or squash holding it together. There is also a slight alcohol presence that adds warmth.

It is extremely smooth with a thin mouthfeel, making it very drinkable.

This is by far my favorite autumn ale. It works extremely well with just a little bit (or a lot) of age.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

This is an excellent winter beer, perfect for the holodays. It pours a hazy amber color with a nice frothy, sticky head that about 1 finger. Also has decent lacing. As for the aroma spices, spices and more spices. There are hints of hops, citrus and pumpkin, but boy are ther spices. As for the taste here we go. It starts out with the taste of hops and citrus and finishes with the spices. The mouthfeel is awesome. Absolutely delicious with thanksgiving dinner. This is a light bodied beer that is very drinkable. A must try in my opinion.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a clear orangey amber. Nice frothy head with lacing that lasts throughout...

Aroma is typical Dogfish - unique to the style. A lot of cinnammon up front, giner, pumpkin spice...and the patented peppery dogfish aroma...

Taste - Pure pumpkin pie - cinnnamon, pumpkin spice, ginger, and that dogfish pepper hit at the end. Nice malty body in the middle...

Mouthfeel - Smooth like pumpkin pie....

Overall my favorite pumpkin ale so far. Enthusiasts usually reject this seasonal...but not me...

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

i was quite wary of this one, as i had only had one pumpkin ale in the past (forget which one, but it was a while ago) and it was simply awful. the DFH punkin' ale is quite the opposite of that. this could surprisingly be a fun session ale. it pours a nice amber colour with a minimal head that does not hang around for very long, but leaves a solid lacing. the smell scared me at first...ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and of course pumpkin. it reminded me quite a bit of harpoon's winter warmer, a beer that i loathe. thankfully, the taste of this one made me forget the similarities to the winter warmer. it echoes the smell, relying a bit moreso on the pumpkin flavour upfront with a spicy finish, but everything is quite subtle and subdued. flavour is not shoved down your throat, but hinted at throughout, which made this brew that much more enjoyable. i'll definitely be looking to sample this every fall from now on.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

12 ounce bottle poured into my dimpled mug. Punkin pours a relatively clear orange fading to amber, with a small head made up of very tiny bubbles that rise maybe a quarter of an inch above the liquid. The aroma is at once arresting and intoxicating; liquid pumpkin pie. Spices hit the nose first, with nutmeg, clove, and spice arriving simultaneously. Pumpkin follows, though there’s also this candied yams type character as well. From the moment the beer hits your lips you know you’re in for a treat, as a crusty malt backbone holds all of the pumpkin pie flavors in place. This beer is roughly a month old; and the taste is somewhat faded. My previous experience with this beer was near euphoric; the age on the beer hasn’t done it any favors, and dropped it into the echelon of very good. That’s not to say this beer is no longer worth your time, as it remains one of the shining examples of this style. The malt in this beer acts as a framing, much as a pie crust does in a pie. There are no hops here, and why should there be … this is a unique beer and hops would just get in the way of the flavor profile of the spices and pumpkin. Too often brewers get heavy handed with spicing beers of this type, luckily the folks at Dogfish have not fallen prey to this mistake. A very enjoyable take on the pumpkin beer style and one I wish that I could sample more often.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

A- Am inviting amber color with a 3/4" head that faded fairly quickly.

S- The smells are definitely all that are listed on the bottle; pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I can't really put my own spin on that truth.

T- The first thing I taste is the nutmeg, then that fades to the other 4 tastes I listed above. Again, it's hard to put it better than the bottle says. It isn't like a lot of pumpkin ales you may try, in that it isn't like eating a piece of pumpkin pie or some other pumpkin desert (note: I'm not saying this in a negative manner whatsoever).

M- Medium mouthfeel. The plentiful spices tingle the tongue on the way down.

D- Overall a very good beer in my opinion. It went down pretty easy even with all of the spices. "Would I have another?" why yes I think I will now. I will be sure to buy some more to make sure I have some for Thanksgiving dinner!

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

On tap at Kickbacks in Jax. Poured into a Unibroue tulip. Kegged in 8/2008. Aged for 15 months, in my opinion the perfect age for this ale. Head quickly disappears. Brown sugar, nutmeg, pumpkin and sweet malts seem to dominate as the hops have faded into balance. (If you want the hops, get it fresh.) Taste is also very sweet, much more so than fresh. ABV is totally hidden by the sweetness of the malts and spices. Great rounding off of the sharp edges with a bit of age. Love it fresh, and really love it at a year.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to froggyfrog for the opportunity to try this beer. He brought back a growler from the brewpub for me. Thanks a million bro!

Appearance: Pours a bronzed brown color with a small head.

Smell: The aroma is dominated by cinnamon and nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice and of course pumpkin. It is more rich than some pumpkin ales with dark malty/brown sugary aromas and a hint of alcohol.

Taste: Starts out easy and sweet with a growing in intensity as it moves across the palate. A few swirls across the tongue reveal; great depths of pumpkin pie flavors. Brown sugar, nutmeg, caramel, cloves, pumpkin a bit of drying alcohol and a little bit of herbs showcased in the finish. The aftertaste is a bit dry leaving the lips smacking and wanting the next sip.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy a bit juicy slick with little carbonation (maybe due to growler or could be built that way). Regardless the beer seems to slip easy down the throat.

Drinkability: This is ridiculously easy to drink. I think this may be the best pumpkin ale I have had yet. It is like holiday punch beer. Super tasty and in as much it may be a fantastic beer I think it was a good thing I didn’t have a full growler or it'd all be in my intoxicated belly.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Seeing this beer with a date on bottle of 8/7/06 only means that fall is on the way. Pours a nice amber colored with a fluffy head that leaves some lacing behind. The smell is amazing on this finely crafted brew, let me first say that I'm a big pumpkin fan, any type from seeds to pie to just eating the damn thing while carving it. I can smell a very strong spiced pumpkin smell, like when you first start carving one and sticking your mug directly inside the pumpkin, also smell a bit of clove sweetness in there, I truly love the smell of this crafted beer and whish they would bottle it as a cologne. The taste is awesome what I smell I taste, just with that bit of hop bitterness that we all love from those crafters at Dogfish, awesome. Don't be fooled when you drink that 4 pack and wonder why it went down so smooth, the alcohol is so well hidden that I can't even detect it. Seeing this just makes me smile knowing that summer is over and fall is upon us, simply beautiful.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Bottled on 8/18/06 (less than two months drank it)

Pours orangish copper with a decent head that soon went to a lasting cover. Some lacing was left.

The smell is of pumpkin with cinnamon and nutmeg. Smells similar to a homemade pumpkin pie.

It's nearly a pumpkin pie in a bottle, with some warming alcohol. The taste is spicy - cinnamon and nutmeg especially, but they do not overpower the solid pumpkin taste. There's a brown sugar coating.

It's on the lighter side of full-bodied, more solid medium bodied. Creamy and smooth, though the alcohol is just a tad more noticeable in the feel than it should, but still acceptable.

Bottom line - it's a nicely spiced pumpkin ale. It's not as over-the-top, or unusual, as other offerings from this brewery. It's just a well-done, enjoyable pumpkin ale. It's one worth considering to accompany a pumpkin pie dessert on Thanksgiving, or just to have when in the mood for the style.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured a fantastic deep orange, amber with thin head. Nose is pumpkin and cinnamon. All-spice lingering. Honey-sweet malt presence. Sweet start with high carbonation. Pumpkin dominates the rest, and the all-spice has a clove-like effect. Crisp mouthfeel. Highly drinkable!

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Growler, from Bellport Beer. The aroma of this spicy ale alone was enough to make me think about buying a barrel and saving it for Thanksgiving. I think it would be a near perfect ale to serve with such a hearty dinner with family and friends in attendance.

The deep amber ale tasted like a malty version of local apple cider until a wash a alcohol made its way into the moment and then it turned into something resembling barleywine. The taste was the reward of the aroma as it lingered on well after it was gone. It had me dreaming of scenes in the Fall...great ale.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a bottle a clear orangish-rust color with a small foamy white head. Very little lacing with this one.

A very nice pumpkin aroma without coming off as over-spiced or artificial tasting. This beer is a high-quality ale first combined with a balance of pumpkin spices and malt.

The taste is like the aroma. Well-balanced and nearly perfect.

Medium mouthfeel and lightly carbonated.

This beer gets better as warms and is my favorite pumpkin ale of the season. Easy to drink and enjoy. Well done, DFH.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into my pint glass small head with a copperish/orangish tint to it. Smells like pumpkin but not too strong. Tastes just as the bottle reads pumpkin and spices. A bit of strong taste and mouthful but otherwise good. Overall a good beer especially during Octoberfest

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

This poured with a two finger, white, fluffy head. The body itself is a cloudy orange-brown color. No visible carbonation due to the color. On the nose, it’s all those wonderful fall smells you hope for with a pumpkin beer: cinnamon, clove and hints of pumpkin. I’m all about pumpkin, so this is right in my wheelhouse. On the taste, there is a lot of hearty pumpkin which is sweet on the end. The fall spice is a little more subtle in the taste and lets the pumpkin flavor take the front seat. It reminds me of a less sweet pumpkin pie. The finish is quick, but the booze is easily hidden. This is easily one of the best pumpkin beer offerings around.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

I had this in my fridge for a good 5 or 6 months. I was saving it specifically because I wanted to review it.

Anyways it pours a light copper/whiskey color. Nice head that did recede a bit.

Oh boy talk about spiced. I pick up scents of pumpkin, cinnamon, and some light malts in the background. It smells like a pumpkin pie.

I partake...it's smooth. The profile starts with a cinnamon spice followed by a hop bitterness and finished with a sweet pumpkin. Now I remember why I was saving this for review.

Like I said, it's smooth, I'd say medium bodied, and very drinkable to me.

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery