Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Not going to follow regular format here.

Very good pumpkin brew but the spices and Nutmeg get to be a little much toward the last 1/4 of this tasty brew. One 12oz bottle enjoyable but another is not wanted.

The Pumpkin becomes more pronounced closer to cellar temp but the spices and "holiday" flavors are there throughout making this a unmistaken October Pumpkin ale.

The mouthfeel is the most impressive aspect of this brew. Finished Dry, bitter and crisp. Keeps you OK with frequesntly going back to next sip. Very solid for an Ale of any kind IMHO.

Recommeneded for a Pumpkin beer for at least once, but I felt once was enough and enjoyable. No need to revisit or spend more $$ on it.

RBassSFHOPit2ME, Oct 01, 2011

seavercm, Aug 22, 2013
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Orange-amber with a thin but persistent head; this beer is audibly fizzy and lacing is fairly minimal

S: Wonderful pumpkin and clove aromas but also subtle cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, and chocolate with a great bready base

T: A great, not over-the-top pumpkin spiced beer; all of the traditional spices associated with pumpkin pie are present but I wish the body was more full and malty; I feel like this calls for a much breadier base--but this beer does develop complexity as it warms

F: A touch thin up front but then a substantial amount of beer does cling to the roof of the mouth, staying with you long after you take a sip

O A nicely spiced pumpkin beer; I just wish the brown ale underneath had a bit more umph to hold and balance the pumpkin

dbossman, Oct 10, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a copper orange with a slight head that lessens quickly. Transparent with no lacing. Few carbonation streams float to the top. It has a slight smell of corn (which I may be mistaking for the pumpkin) and cinnamon. Sweet malt background is well-balanced with the hops. Subtle hits of cinnamon and other pumpkin pie spices are noticeable but not overwhelming. It says it has brown sugar, but I'm not picking up any. The mouthfeel is rather thin, which is ok, but I think it could have a little more carbonation. Overall, its the best pumpkin ale that I have tried. I am getting more perspective on the style, and I think what turns me off is the smell of the pumpkin.

33nickadams, Sep 23, 2011

Whole Foods, El Segundo, CA

a - orange brown, like a darker amber

s - sweet, subtle flowerness to it

t - subtle sweet, some pumpkin, I don't really tast the other spices they put on the label

m - not too dynamic, simple flavors.

d - not bad, but I don't have to come back to this one.

eggland, Sep 18, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

This beer pours a pretty clear brown orange color with three fingers of lacing that fade quickly leaving a thin layer of white head at the top. Well carbonated. The smell is nutmeg, cinnamon, perhaps something more savory like a bit of chili and lots of brown sugar. There is a slight gourd smell around all of the spice smell.

Glug glug glug

Way maltier and far less "spicy" than some of the pumpkin beers I've had. This brew seems to be working away from the sweet spices and more towards a more realistic pumpkin pie (at least as far I as remember) by not being overly sweet and somewhat savory (from the gourd flavor). The toasty brown ale malts show up and fresh bread and there is a slight hop edge, that's just slightly bitter, to add complexity to the flavor. There is a vegetable flavor, like pumpkin seeds and meat with the blend of spices balancing it out. Overall this is a well balanced and tasty brew, but I would have liked more push from all the pumpkin flavors. (I'm saying the pumpkin aspect is currently at a five, I think six or seven would be just fine) Body and mouth feel work fine.

Thur123, Sep 22, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Poured a rusty-orange color with a compact, fizzy white head that soon dispersed without much of a lacing.

S: There was a medium-strong aromatic sense of pumpkin spices of nutmeg, dry pie crust and sweet brown sugar filling the nose.

T: The flavor is not as dominant or strong as the nose leads you to believe, which is a good thing. Nutmeg, cinnamon, pie crust and brown sugar are all here as well but more balanced and toned down which is a good thing. Theres a nice caramel and maltiness backing things up creating a rich, full palate.

M: smooth, medium-full and felt pretty decent per style.

D: Drinkability was fairly good per style considering its high ABV and spiced herb nature. Can drink one or two of these, but pretty pricey per four pack. Share this with friends around a campfire on a chilly October night.

beerthulhu, Jul 10, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a dark orange/amber color with a descent off white that leaves a nice top lace all the way to the end. The nose consists of sweet malts, nutmeg, and cinnamon. The first sip shows a huge peppery spice ester character, toasted malts, and considerable hop addition. Roasted barley, yeasty. The alcohol presence is fairly potent and mixed with a high hop content it seems to blend the pumpkin pie spices almost too well. Its difficult to discern between all of the spices. Moving down the glass I found some more notes of caramel, cinnamon, and smoothed out roasted malts. The alcohol strength fades a little making way for some pumpkin pie flavor.

cabsandking, Oct 13, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on code stamped on the bottleneck, 2013 vintage. I haven't had this beer since last year's release, but I remember liking it and I'm excited to have it again.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Pours one finger of good creamy frothy off-white head on top of a dark coppery orange colored body with some nice clarity and lots of bubbles lazily floating topside.

S - Smell comprises much of the usual for the style: cola, cinnamon, allspice. I can even smell a hint of the buttery popcorn smell that appeared in Southern Tier Pumking, presumably from the authentic gourdy pumpkin.

T - Taste follows the nose: crisp cola, brown sugar, cinnamon, hint of allspice, hint of buttery popcorn grains, and just a slight bit of alcohol heat on the finish.

M - Feel is smooth and clean. Just a hint of sticky brown sugar / cola in the aftertaste. Medium to full bodied with nice carbonation.

Overall, definitely a worthwhile pumpkin beer, and one I will continue to look forward to yearly. Good drinkability, and the moderately high alcohol for a pumpkin beer is hardly noticeable. Recommended.

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale ---4/5.

mfnmbvp, Oct 08, 2013
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours from the bottle a clear orangey-red with a half-finger of off-white head. Smell is at first grassy, then notes of vanilla schnapps, creme de menthe, caramel, and toast come forth.

I taste the same flavors I picked up in the nose, with the creme de menthe at the forefront. After a while, though, I'm able to equate that minty flavor to a cinnamon and candy sugar flavor. Overall, the pumpkin spice flavors show up during much of each sip, but toward the finish is a vegetable pumpkin flavor; nice, balanced flavors.

Pumpkin Head is medium in body and more full than other pumpkin beers I've had, which I appreciate. Finish is very clean, happily, without being bitter. While pretty full-flavored, this beer isn't overpowering, and it's interesting enough to make me drink it quickly.

Riccymon, Sep 20, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

First pumpkin of the season , poured into pint glass. Nice orange color. Smallish head , no lacing.

Smell has a slightly clove , cinnamon hint.

Taste has a barely perceptible hop bite , nutmeg comes through and seems to dry this out.

Mouthfeel is medium , nicely carbonated.

A very nice pumpkin ale that I'll be drinking more of.

shroompod, Sep 21, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Orange in color, white head, decent lacing.

S: Spice, and some fruit.

T: Spices, slight cinnamon and nutmeg, notable alcohol finish.

MF: Crisp, a lot of carbonation.

D: Not bad for a gimmick beer. I didn't really detect any pumpkin, but it was pleasant enough.

SouthLoopSuds, Sep 26, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a light copper color with nearly no head and no lace.

S: The smell is a strong ginger, pumpkin & brown sugar aroma. You also get the impression from the smell that it’s a very bready beer, in addition to the heavy sweetness.

T: It doesn’t taste as sweet as it smells which I’m going to consider a good thing. There’s little bit more hops and alcohol bite in the taste than you get in the smell.

M: Smooth with a medium body and a bit higher carbonation than I would have expected from a beer in this style. It’s not as bready as the smell indicates and doesn’t leave the stickiness that you would expect from the style either.

D: It goes down easy and there’s almost no hint of the 7.00% ABV. If you don’t find it filling (and I don’t) you could drink a lot more than a 4-pack in one sitting. When I went into the liquor store, I didn’t expect to buy this beer, but it was on special and the price made it irresistible, given the rep of DFH. While I liked the beer and it was more than what I expected from a beer of this style, it’s not something I would want to drink very often. However, if I do decide to drink it, I’d make short work of the 4-pack.

TheManiacalOne, Apr 02, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

As a huge Halloween fan I wish I like Pumpkin Ales more...but I don't. That said, this is my favorite of the style.

Nice deep orange/red color.
Nice consistent tan head. Great lacing.
Powerful nose heavy with allspice and nutmeg aroma.
The flavors have distinct character. However, it's very sweet with an alcohol burn.

Again, not my favorite style, but one I would buy again.

drtacks37, Sep 22, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Another day another destructed pumpkin beer and and tastebuds feeling for mercy. Time to review DFH Punkin. I really enjoy most DFH beers and until now have not found one I didn't at least like somewhat. So that brings me to here, face to face with my mortal enemy, a pumpkin beer, but this being made by one of my favorite breweries. Poured it into my DFH oversized snifter cause the most important thing is to nose more of the spices... wait, just kidding!!

A: Brilliantly clear golden brown with some reddish color that leads a murky head that starts decent but fades to a sweing light froth on the top.

N: No way, is that... spiced pumpkin? Yep, it sure is. Lots of toastiness though and gives me a ST Pumpking flash back. Hopefully this one weighs up to the pumpkin pie beer of all. There's a slight sweetness but the more aromas I inhale the more spices, cinammon, nutmeg, perhaps allspice... oh yeah, it mentions all three spices right on the label, oh snap! It's also got some crisp lager/marzen aromas that give me the chills thinking about drinking this on a dark windy and cool October night.

T: Here goes nuthin, Taste starts pretty sweet like brown sugar, lots of pumpkin taste but not spiced pumpkin, the spices have been dulled down quite a bit, and the toastiness gives it a pumpkin pie taste. With the sweetness I'm almost getting the feeling of opening a can of pumpkin pie filling and just going to town on it with a spoon and snifter glass. Its got more of those clear and crisp well done lager/marzen refreshing tastes. Its also got some yeasty and fruity lager flavors.

M: Mouth is pretty smooth and slightly carbonated, could use more carbonation.

F: It gives me a little more sweet caramelized brown sugar and more pumpkin on the taste. It finishes pretty clean like a lager and the sweetness fades pretty quickly, but leaves a strange savory taste that makes my mouth smack on its own. A slight taosty and earthy charred flavors adds a slight interesting flavor.

Final thoughts: This beers is actaully a little surpising. The nose is really spiced, but the flavors has sweet brown sugar, pumpkin, very light on the spice, and not really and bad or off flavors. Good for DFH again!Its got great drinkability and very refreshing.

jlindros, Sep 07, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

A - Amber in Color with a full, thick head on top of it. Makes this beer appear very tempting in the fall.
S - Take one whiff of this beer and all you can think about are those cool, breezy fall days. One of the better 'smelling' fall beers.
T - My beer was a little on the warmer side(couldnt wait any longer to crack one open) so it was very strong with Nutmeg flavor, Im betting if they chill a little more this will get more subtle. I suppose I will find out later tonight.
M - Very light on the mouthfeel, crisp taste.
D - This could be an addiction here. Im a huge Shipyard fan but this beer is right up there and actually gives me more of that fall/pumpkin feel than Shipyard.

IPAkindaguy, Sep 02, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

12 oz bottle. Pours copper with a short lived white head and lively carbonation. Aroma is of noble hops, spices and fruity notes. Body is full and crisp. Taste is spices, herbal hops, caramel malt, and brown sugar. Finish is long and spicy, while pumpkin shows up in the end. Nice holiday brew.

mikeg67, Sep 04, 2012

tmryan21, Sep 24, 2014
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a nice amber color, with a near perfect head... good looking beer.

The nose on this one is a bit too faint... slight pumpkin and spice aromas.

The pumpkin flavors from this one are solid, and enjoyable. But I would have enjoyed a bit more of the beer characteristics to come through... more hops and malt please.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, a well rounded beer.

All in all? A pretty good pumpkin ale, I am bit surprised that this is 7% abv... tastes tamer than that.

Thanks for throwing this one my way MuenchenerKindl,

flexabull, Dec 09, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Deep amber orange color. Dense head of orange hued white foam. Nice lacing.

S: Rich pumpkin aroma, doused with full malts and spices. The essence of burning leaves. Autumn bottled. Nice.

T: Malted pumpkin flavors with a touch of molasses and earthy spices. Some peppery notes. Rich flavor. Very nicely done. It's obvious that this is "brown ale" influenced, and it works exceptionally well.

M: Slightly dense, with some chewy feeling. Still rather sharp, making it go down easily.

D: Rather good. Even though it's a higher ABV pumpkin, i'd have no problem having more than one.

Notes: A solid pumpkin ale. Will be on the look out for it next year.

Frozensoul327, Oct 22, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured into a pint glass: nice copper-amber color, translucent with off white head.

Smell is mild pale and caramel malt scent, hints of spice, but very feint.

Taste is crisp, clean malt with caramel notes followed by some bitterness and then the spice mixture of nutmeg cinnamon and allspice, I can pick out the nutmeg and allspice with cinnamon following.

Mouthfeel is heavy on the tongue, spices and malt mix and linger. Flavors are good and the abv does not come through.

Overall, this is what you expect from a lower spiced pumpkin, the dryness of the abv comes through as it warms and the spices linger nicely.

mvanaskie13, Oct 13, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

I just reviewed a Saranac Pumpkin prior to sampling this one. Needless to say, this is a much more substantial, interesting, and complex pumpkin ale than the Saranac, even though I enjoyed the Saranac. The Dogfish pumpkin pours a more orangey amber color with little if any head, lacing, retention. The smell is definite spices in the allspice, nutmeg, and vanilla family. There is a good amount of cinnamon and pumpkin in the nose as well.

The taste is quite substantial, probably the highest ABV pumpkin I have had, and not loads of carbonation or efforvesence. The beer is not well carbonated, a bit syrupy, and quite good. The taste is a nice melange of pumpkin, allspice, nutmeg, vanilla, and some hop presence underneath. The beer is a bit crisp, not much maltiness popping through, and a nice flowery hop emerging towards the finish. This is a very nice pumpking ale, although there is a bit more alcohol presence and residual ABV throatiness than I would have cared for. Worth seeking out. L'Chaim.

albern, Sep 20, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

I had to try this one. I picked up a couple of these. First off it has a darker golden appearance. THe scent is there with the punkin and nutmeg.The taste at first takes a little time to get used to because this isn't something you have all the time.Taste is punkin all the way. But once my taste buds got used to it.Drinkability became very easy.I also felt that 7.2 abv.I was ready to drink more and buy more the next day.Only thing is you get four for 8.99 or 9.99.Man I want at least six for that price.So I can share some with punkin lovers.But I will definitely buy more next fall.

BrewStoutMagic, Nov 21, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

One of the best, if not the best Pumpkin Ale around. The soft orange color of this beer with it's intense carbonation and mighty head is quite appealing. Aromas of pumpkins, roasted malts, and seasonal spices come out. Together, the aromas remind me of fallen leaves, a cool breeze, and the season of Fall. The taste is smooth and sweet with the pumpkin flavor taking a back seat to various spices. The sweet flavor is never overly dominant or too sweet. The carbonation adds a level or richness that exploits the spicy backbone. A very interesting beer that can be had with mildly sweet fruit-based desserts like tarts and parfaits or with seasonal dishes.

jaluria, Jan 03, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Once again I'm not a Pumpkin beer guy normally, I've reviewed one and thought a counter point would be a good idea, especially when its a dogfish head. Poured an orangey amber color with golden high lights. The head is a white foam color, leaving some lacing, with decent retention. Smells just like it says subtle, but real pumpkin, brown sugar, spice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Smells more like an ale with pumpkin/spicing added sparingly, not an over powering smack in the face of synthetic pumpkin pie. Honestly the the smell is not terribly enticing, but its equally not dispelling. The flavor is not as sweet as I expected, its got a bit more tartness and a nice tinge of bitterness. It maintains a nice crisp flavor, some malt complexity and a mellow pumpkin spice finish. For me I'd prefer this type of pumpkin beer to others that use a syrup to flavor and are more forward front with their over sweet pumpkin flavor. Personally this is not as good as some of Dogfish heads other seasonal brews (aprihop) but its definitely not bad. If some one wanted a pumpkin brew, so far I'd say this is the way to go.

mmcave, Oct 20, 2006