Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,061 | Hads: 6,323
4.42/5  rDev +13%

Pours from 12oz bottle a clear reddish gold with a medium sized head of foam that shrink slowly leaving a fine broken layer with some lacing.

The smell is, wow. Who put a fresh slice of warm pumpkin pie to my nose when I wasn't looking?? I mean it for real. ;^)

The taste is big on the spices with huge notes of biscuit, sweet malt and an authentic Pumpkin flavour that puts a huge ass grin on my face. There's even some hoppiness in the background that adds some nice tartness but doesn't detract a smidgeon from the overall pumpkin flavour. Again I say, Wow! There's also a bit of fruitness there, I can sense some plum and raisin. What a tasty brew!! My gosh, I'm *so* glad I got to taste this one.

Bottom line: Fancy that, a Pumpkin Ale that actually tastes like pumpkin! This one *has* to be the standard bearer for the style, no question about it. I can't recommend this one enough!

My thanks go out to Wasatch for this beauty!

4.42/5  rDev +13%

A - This beer poured a pumpkin orange color that produced a white foamy head that had decent retention and left little lace along the side of the glass

S - The aromas produced by this beer I could read off the label, but I really pick them all up, malts, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar

T - Well, the taste of this beer is subject, those who like the style will love the taste, all of the ingredients mix well together, the pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg were a great combination

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body with a light to moderate amount of carbonation

D - The drinkability of this beer, for me, is very high, this is a great Pumpkin Beer and I wish this was available in New Orleans

4.42/5  rDev +13%

This is the best fall seasonal out there, this beer simply kicks ass. Double the ABV of a usual pumpkin/fall seasonal and twice the taste. It's full of brown sugar taste and just the right amount of pumpkin taste. I wish this was available all year as it really is just a good well balanced beer. Not just my favorite pumpkin ale, but one of my favorite beers ever.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

I love Pumpkin. Fall is my favorite time of year simply because everything pumpkin comes out. This beer is certainly one of the things I will look forward to for years to come.

Appearance: Nice rich, deep copper color. Decent head that quickly faded.

Smell: You can definitely smell the pumpkin spice in the ale.

Taste: Pumpkin is very apparent, with a nice bit of sweetness to it that isn't too overpowering, but adds a nice touch. Finish is good, the taste of pumpkin lingers just long enough...

Mouthfeel: Smooth and pumpkinny!

Drinkability: Very very drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

A-pours a dark clear amber with a thin amount of head that quickly disappears

S-pumpkin pie in a beer. Lots of pumpkin, cinnamon, malts, and a hint of alcohol

T-very similar to the smell. Pumpkin, malts, and a spicy finish.

M-medium body with moderate carbonation. Smooth and very creamy with an alcohol warming

D-very drinkable, the perfect amount of pumpkin and spice, and unlike lots of pumpkin beers is not watered down at all

4.42/5  rDev +13%

Bottle Pours a hazy amber with a decent off white head, which produces good lacing. Has a delightful aroma of pumpkin, brown sugar, all spice, cinnamon, and a touch of nutmeg. Has an aroma of a ginger snap cookie. Just smelling this one gives me incredable amount of excitement. The carbination is soft. Has a light body. A soft duration, and weak finish. All the aromas come out beautifully in the flavor of this beer. Its a wonderful beer. Gives me visions of good halloween deserts. I'm slowly becoming a big fan of pumpkin ales.

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

DATE TASTED: December 23, 2013... GLASSWARE: Kisatsky Tavern pint...OCCASION: it's me (Vernon Davis) and an 18-point lead against Steven Jackson and Tony Gonzalez for the fantasy championship... APPEARANCE: solid, warm amber body; steady effervescence; nice two-finger head; cloudy white and consistent, attractive lacing... AROMA: cinnamon, allspice and hazel nut front and center; a veritable pumpkin pie in a glass, at least by its smell... PALATE: medium-bodied but feisty--not the usual walk-in-the-ho-hum-fall-forest body of a brown; aftertaste is nuanced and bold...TASTE: robust cinnamon overpowers the pumpkin; secondary nutmeg and allspice develop; the cornucopia builds with hazelnut and sugary ginger... OVERALL: I needed a beer big enough to celebrate a win and strong enough to kick in my teeth if I lose--and lose I did with barely a minute to gp in the game. This beer delivers what football so often does, a comfortable yet visceral drinking experience.

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to my 12 oz DFH palm glass. A beautiful crystal clear Pumpkin Amber typical of DFH, with red and orange highlights. The head is 2 finger and lovely.

The small is indicative on DFH. Fruity, hoppy, Pumpkin and nutmeg.

The taste is dry pumpkiny and a hint of spices'. It you have tried this style before and thought it too sweet, then Try this.

The mouth feel is quite nice, good carbonation medium body, easy to swig down.

The drink ability is very good, in fact this is a beer is unsurpassed as an example in this style is.

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured a cloudy amberish color with a creamy thick white heading that leaves no lacing.

Smell is very subtle. I really swirled this around a bit and came up with a little bit of pumpkin and spice.

Taste is wow simply awesome. Everything is there that is stated on the bottle. Nice heavy roasted malts to start it out. Followed by a pumpkin nutmeg combination that turns into a slight hot booziness. Finishes kind of strong with a spicy yeastiness that leaves your mouth watering and wanting more.

Mouth is full bodied with very good retention. Leaves a sticky sugary kiss on the lips that lingeries a while.

Drinkability is very high for me. For 7% ABV this is very easy going and a definite have for the season.

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured into a a Dogfish pint glass at Dogfish Head Alehouse in Arlington, VA.

A:Pours a hazy dark amber orange with a nice white lacy foam head that disappears completely 1 minute in.

S: Nice Yeasty Pumpkin, brown sugar, clove, and nutmeg.

T: A nice subtle Pumpkin Ghourd, heavy Pumpkin Spice, Clove and Nutmeg with a brown sugar malty backbone.

M: Now here's the best part, a nice full carbonation creamy pumpkin ghourd mouthfeel with a clove nutmeg bite that lingers for a nice long time.

O: This is my third and best go at this beer. I enjoyed it before but after a really heavy Pumpkin Beer Autumn I could really appreciate this beer more. This sucker is now my number 5 all time best Pumpkin beers. (1. S.T Pumking, 2. Schlafly Pumpkin ale,3. Wyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, 4. Heavy Seas Imperial Pumpkin)

Happy Thanksgiving Ya'll.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tagged as packaged in 2004. Dark honey golden and unclear. Can barely see through the pint glass to the shadows of my fingers on the other side... No head at all, just a thin white ring at the edges. Wonderfully spicey scents with a ton of raisin coming out. Karo sweetness. Makes me think of eggnog, must be the nutmeg that just wafts out of it. Such a nice smooth mouthfeel, the carbination gives it a bit of bite, but it really is just a perfect feel . This is just the right amount of carbination for me, not too much, just enough for the style. Malty and spicey, almost tastes a bit peppery at times. Caramelly/honey sweeness, but not intensely so. The spices really come out alot in the end, you are left with alot of clovey-nutmeg flavor in your mouth. This has been a longtime favorite of mine since the first try, and I have always described this as being like having a bite of pumpkin pie and following it up with a sip of good ale.

This was a Christmas gift from my Father, who is appreciating all the beer I have been letting him explore with... -My Dad who thought that he was finally a beer snob when he found Molson, but now is obsessed with Double Bastard! My darling Father who must have remembered me saying that I love Dogfish Head, and knows I call people Pumpkin, and gave me this 4pack at Christmas Eve. -Which was the first of the experiments with my beer opener beltbuckle (ask my horrified and wet friends, and ex-friends), and my punkin coated step-brother Ian...! -Well, everything was punkin coated, but hey, what are holidays for!

4.44/5  rDev +13.6%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Clear than I was expecting and lighter too. A bright and clear copper and topped with a rather quickly disappearing bone white head.

S: Not overpowering pumpkin pie aroma which is nice. Nutmeg light cinnamon, star anise, pumpkin of course. But these are only hints of what is to come.

T/MF: Tastes remarkably like pumpkin pie but not overpoweringly so, not as thick a mouthfeel as pumpkin pie, I suppose that is because this is beer and not food, but I guess what I am trying to say is that this beer conveys the idea of pumpkin pie, minus perhaps the almost overpowering aroma of the pie, into a beer. The pumpkin, the sweetness, the spiciness is all there and melds perfectly together. It's really hard to imagine another beer being able to do the same thing to such a perfect degree. In terms of style the taste cannot be beat, at least as far as I can tell. Feel is not nearly as thick as I was expecting from a pumpkin beer that tastes and smells like pumpkin pie, but such a realization really does not detract all that much from the overall enjoyableness of this beer.

Dogfish head punkin ale

Clear, light brown beer. Lingering 1/2 finger head.
I would like more head.

Stronger pumpkin pie aroma than most pumpkin ales I've tried. But not overpowering. Roasted malt aroma in background.

Spice and roasted malt dominate the flavor profile. Some bitterness on the tongue. I like the spice, but it could stand to be more subtle.

Medium bodied. Fizz coats the mouth. Too much carbonation for my taste.

Overall, this is a great beer. Exactly what I would expect in a pumpkin beer from Dogfish Head. I'm glad I bought it. I will probably get more before the season is over.

4.44/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance: Crystal-clear with a brilliant copper orange hue. A somewhat fizzy finger-width head that fades into decent lacing.

Aroma: Just like a freshly baked pumpkin pie - spicy, lots of pumpkin (obviously), and big doses of sweet brown sugar. It smells exactly how you might imagine while reading over the ingredients. Quite appetizing.

Taste: Brown sugar sweetness and pumpkin up front with a nice spicy nutmeg and cinnamon finish. The beer underneath these flavors is somewhat bitter with sweet and bready malt. You can definitely detect that seven percent booze from time to time, but it's certainly not overpowering. Usually, I'm not a big pumpkin fan, but I really love it in this application. It doesn't really taste like a Brown Ale underneath, more like a malty Pale Ale.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and velvety with a good amount of carbonation. It finishes nicely with the slick feeling you get with higher ABV beers.

Drinkability: Despite the somewhat nontraditional flavor combination and moderately high alcohol content, I'd be more than happy to sit and throw back a four-pack of this over a Fall evening. One of the more sessionable Dogfish Head creations I've tried (for example, it would take quite long night for me to finish a pack of Raison D'Etre).

Verdict: While Pumpkin Ales are nothing new, I knew when I saw the neon orange pack adorned with the shark icon sitting on the shelf, I'd be in for something special. Punkin did not disappoint. Without a doubt, this is the best Pumpkin themed beer I've ever tasted. As I've come to expect from Dogfish, this beer is lavish, complex, and above all, unique. These are the kinds of beers that leave such an indelible impression on me that I can almost summon their taste just by thinking about them. Brilliant.

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

A - Copper/Gold with 1 finger white head. Dogfish calls it a brown ale but it doesn't look dark enough for a brown to me.

S - Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove. Pumpkin pie in a glass. Slight ester/yeasty aroma.

T - The aroma is tricking my tastebuds into tasting pumpkin pie. But actually a somewhat dry hoppy taste with residual sweetness at the end. Brown sugar seems to come through. Well balanced. The 7% ABV is well hidden.

M - Medium body. Fits the style. Drinkable body offsets sweetness and allows the drinker to enjoy several.

O - This is my 2nd favorite Pumpkin Ale. The spicing is the best in the style. I am a big fan of Dogfish Head and this is one of the best beers they make. A Northeastern US autumn is not complete until you've had a Dogfish Head Punkin Ale.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Bronze color with a quickly fading head. The color seems a slight hazy.

S - Pumpkin spices (nutmeg, slight ginger, allspice). I am also picking up some apple in the background.

T - Very nice! Just enough pumpkin and spice but still tastes like an ale and not a flavored beer. On the front end I get something like pumpkin pie without being sweet, and a dark or roasty malt flavor. On the back end I gather some mild hoppiness. I am also getting a warmth in the back of the throat and in the pit of my stomach. I can drink this, feel like a man and not and beer hating chick who ordered some mid nineties era fruit beer.

M - Medium bodied, slightly creamy texture, solid flavor (there is nothing thin about the flavor - no detection of any scintilla of watery character).

D - Gulping this one down too but in all fairness, since I've started drinking beer for the purpose of enjoying the flavor, I've noticed that I've been gulping nearly every beer I drink.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a beautiful amber/orange color. It actually looks just a shade lighter than pumpkin pie. It looks very appetizing, except for the issue of the head. It has little to no head, I'm sure that off the tap it is much different. However as I am drinking it from the bottle I can't really vouch for that.

As soon as i opened this beer I could smell the aroma that it gave off. It has a very potent aroma that can be smelled across the room. Definitely can detect the nutmeg and pumpkin smells here, there are also some other spices which add to the aroma of the beer. Really this is one of the best smelling beers I've ever had, espicially since I could smell it all the way across the room.

In addition to the smell this beer also tastes great. Matter of fact, it tastes just like it smells. The pumpkin and nutmeg are apparent in the taste. I think that this beer would really complement pumpkin pie extremely well. I think that I'll save the rest of these I have for Thanksgiving, seems to me that these would really go great with the finest fall feast in the U.S. (Just thinking about all the wonderfull Turkey Day foods is really making me hungry. It also makes me wish that I knew for a fact that I would have some of this beer on Thanksgiving to see how well it pairs with such foods, I'm sure it will be sweet.)

Feels great in the mouth. The level of carbonation is not excessive, yet this beer is not undercarbonated. The flavor of this beer lingers on the back of the tounge long after you have finished a swallow of this ale.

As to the drinkability, I will most definitely buy more of this brew. Hopefully it is still available by the time I go to pick up beer again.

4.44/5  rDev +13.6%

A nice amber color beer with good carbonation.

The smell is awesome. It smells like a real pumpkin pie. You can smell all the spices, the nutmeg and cinnamon really come through, and you can even smell some of the brown sugar.

Taste is very impressive. It tastes like beer and then pumpkin pie, but in a very good way. The first taste of the sip is a nice malty beer and then a nice mix of spices and pumpkin. This is in no way sweet or overpowering like so many pumpkin beers. An excellent balance of flavors, spices and beer. You can taste all of the spices in the aftertaste. The aftertaste is actually like I just finished chewing a real piece of pumpkin pie.

Mouthfeel is very good. This is a full body beer, much heavier than it looks.

I decided to try a handful of pumpkin beers today and most have been a major disappointment. Too light or too spicy or too sweet, but this is the best I have had so far. An awesome pumpkin beer, I would spend the 8 dollars for the 4 pack next time.

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Delerium snifter

A- amber with a half-finger fluffy white head that leaves a sticky lacing on the glass.

S- nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin and roasted malt

T- a balanced version of the smell

M- medium with abundant carbonation that doesn't overpower.

O- This is a great pumpkin beer. Thanks to bearsxco for this.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010. Pours a clear golden copper color with medium white head. Scent is nutmeg, pumpkin, cinnamon...as I'm typing this, I'm realizing it's exactly like it explains on the label. I hope the taste is just like this...And the verdict is.... Interesting. Very interesting. The taste is delicious! I get all the flavors mentioned in the scent, but with more spiciness and hop profile. I'm surprised by how hoppy it is. It's not very hoppy, but more than expected. The cinnamon, brown sugar, and spice just leave a great aftertaste on your tongue. Probably the best pumpkin beer ever made. The mouthfeel is almost perfect and the drinkability is very high. Great beer for the upcoming holiday season.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%

12 oz brown bottle poured into a DFH pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright copper with a one finger beige head. Above average retention and some nice sudsy lacing throughout.

Aroma: Roasted cooked pumpkin. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and brown sugar.

Taste: This is where this one shines. In a land of mostly average pumpkin beers this one hits the mark. It doesn't try to be too much, doesn't try to do the pumpkin pie thing. Nice actual pumpkin flavor. and a nice balance of the spices. Nothing over the top. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, brown sugar all show up. Very good indeed.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. Another strong point of this beer, is it's drinkability. Some pumkin beers are just too much or just aren't that good. this is one you can keep coming back to. Carbonation is average, and finishes off with a nice subtle sweetness from the spices. A remarkable beer. And yearly one of my favorite pumpkin beers.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%

My friend bought some of this a year ago and hated it. It had been sitting in his refrigerater ever since. He was happy to let me take them and I'm glad I did!

appearance; cloudy pumpkin orange with a light tan head.

smell; Mostly pumpkin dominated. The usual spices were also present but complimented, not overpowered.

taste; almost perfect, upfront toasty pumpkin, then fizzles into pumpkin pie spices and creamy malts. No one spice takes control and they seem to work together and play the role that hops normally would on the flavor. Only the slightest sweetness, but it's there and works well with the spices.

mouthfeel; creamy and complex with a slick and smooth finish. Almost could be best descibed as a cottony chewyness, far above any other of this style I've tried.

drinkability; sits heavy in the stomach and the ABV is high but it taste so good that these factors are less of an issue.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Use your imagination.

Served from a 12 oz bottle with no "packaged in" date listed.

A: Pumpkin orange and a thick fluffy head.
S: Pumpkin and spices
T: Cinnamon and pumpkin and spice flavors.
MF: Light to medium bodied. Smooth drinking.
D: This is a great pumpkin beer, very drinkable.

I am going to get a load of these to bring home for thanksgiving for sure.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Made me think of thanksgiving day just wish I had a plate of turkey. If pumpkin could be in a bottle this is it. I know this an unorthodox review but let's be honest beer is about so much more than these staunch reviews you see. If there is a beer you enjoy just pour your heart out ( pun intended).

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%

Thanks to Prostman for providing me the opportunity to try this one. Consumed Jan 2005 with a bottle date of 2005. Hard pour to get a half-finger light cream head over an orange nearly clear beer. Smells of pumpkin pie spices...what did you expect? Nutmeg, clove, a zing (from ginger perhaps), very mild cinnamon, but no malt character to speak of. Tastes sweet with gentle pumpkin pie spicing and an interesting carmelly fruity (not quite apricot, but something along those lines) that comes in late and hangs around. Very nice...too many pumpkin beers are all spice with nothing underneath to save them. This one is very sweet initially on the front of the tongue followed quickly by delightful clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg spicing . Later I get a caramel and yeah, some actual pumpkin. My goodness I'm not sure I've ever tasted pumpkin in a pumpkin beer. Seems like the spicing is always so heavy there's nothing left of my tastebuds to pick out that flavor. Nice job, gentlemen. One downside to this beer is at the very end and partly into the aftertaste, I do get some wet cardboard flavor. The ending is very sweet leaving a wet taste that hangs around on the tongue and makes me happy I'm drinking it. A pumpkin beer. I'm happy I'm drinking it. Dogs and cats living together! Medium thick body with mild carbonation...both of which work to make a creamy character that makes this beer delightful.

The beer has now warmed and I'll dump the last bit in the glass (saved in case there was sediment). Yeah, I think there was sediment, but not alot. Smell is different now that the beer has warmed. The pumpkin character now prevails and, unfortunately, the wet cardboard has reached the smell. The clove is a bit stronger and the nutmeg a bit gentler, but it could be my taste buds acclimating. I'm also getting a faint nutty flavor that goes along with the caramel. This is a really good beer and I'm sad I have just one fine gulp left.

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery