Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -55.6%

Pours out to a sparkingly clear orange(pumpkin)-amber, forming a soapy off-white head with good retention and average lacing. Aroma is spicy with cinnamon and nutmeg, reminding me of a Xmas ale which I brewed many years back (I hated it so all my friends drank it)..no real pumpkin aroma. A touch of smoky ham becomes evident when swirled, and is the best part of this brew. Carbonation is mild to moderate. Mouthfeel is soft with a medium-dense body. Taste starts with off-putting herbal hops, followed by the nauseating spices, followed by amber malt husk bitterness, brown sugar alcohol bleh, and nasty Dogfish Head ruddiness. Aftertaste is limited to wet cardboard, diacetyl yuck, a mouthfull of copper pennies and sickening spice.

This beer sucks pumpkin ass.

1.8/5  rDev -54.3%

A: copper, little head, no lacing.

S: spice, clove, smells a bit like a Pilsner, malt.

T: punkin [sic], spice, some vomit, it's kind of like an elementary school classroom during Halloween. Or Bath & Bodyworks.

M: well carbonated, leaves a sickly sweet taste in the back of your throat that is rather unpleasant.

D: gross. That's pretty much all I have to say. I'm huge fan of almost everything DFH does, but this is unacceptable. I'm not sure who they're trying to appeal to here (the Blue Moon Harvest Moon crowd maybe?) but I'm not buying it.

1.83/5  rDev -53.6%

12oz bottle stating that it has been brewed with real pumpkins and spices. Poured into regular pint glass. Initial 1/2 inch head dissapears into a whispy thin lace. Nice dark orange color however.

Smell took me back a bit. No pumpkin in the nose and and odd spice smell that seemed to fail around. I could not tease out individual spices such as allspice, nutmeg or cinnamon. A pungent maltiness also got in the way a bit. Hoping the taste would pick up the smell but unfortunately was even worse. Spices were were chaotic and produced strange twang followed by a strange malt backbone. No pumpkin that I can tell and the fusel alcohol further confused the palate. The brew gave me a puckering effect that was not due to hops.

A strange brew indeed that misses the mark in my opinion of what a pumpkin ale should be. No balance whatsoever and had to drain pour. Interesting, many of the DFH unique brews go this unbalanced route for me since the DFH 90 Minute is so fantastic. Seems like the beer was trying to do to much. Still waiting for another showstopper from DFH besides 90.

1.85/5  rDev -53%

While I've never had a bad Dogfish Head brew (no matter how experimental), this one takes the cake, or pie rather, pumpkin pie. And I really don't want to leave a negetive review, but I almost couldn't finish this one. This has never happened to me before.

At the pop of the cap, I was refreshed with the scent of a decent IPA. Not bad, but I had hoped for a more spicy aroma. I cought a very, very slight hint of pumpkin and spice behind the bitterness.

On to the pour...NICE! Good look, and a nice head that stayed around for a while, without leaving a lacing on the top of my glass. When looking through it, I saw a not to dark/not to light amber with a extra hint of red/orange to it. Looked beautiful.

That first mouthfull...felt good, thin but not watered down. Decent carbonation. Then the taste...sadness overcame me. I was quickly brought back to my teenage years, when the "dirty-30" pack of Keystone Light was a great deal. Unfortunatly- it was the "funneled too many", hurled over the toilet till the sun came up, I need my toothbrush! taste I was reminded of. Honestly, this was the first thought that came to mind.

As for drinkability, I'll leave it at that. Maybe I just had a bad bottle, but I wont risk wasting another beer that somebody else may like to try it again.

1.93/5  rDev -51%

Terrible example of a pumpkin ale. One of the worst.

Appearance - nothing special.

Smell - Not bad. I'm getting some of the spices, but there's something off-putting about it. kind of a cleanser-ey smell that lingers as you withdraw.

Taste - Terrible. There's not a hint of pumpkin as you'd wish. It seems like they just mashed raw pumpkin into the beer and expected pumpkin pie. There's a tiny bit of spice, but it's immediately buried under a thick pile of bitter hoppiness and alcoholic burn. It's like someone put cinnamon sticks in a badly made IPA. You don't want hoppiness in this kind of beer, you want warm malts to compliment the warm spices.

Mouthfeel - Even worse. This stuff is carbonated beyond all belief. You literally cannot drink it from the bottle. Mixes very badly with the astringent alcohol taste/burn and just amplifies it.

Overall - This stuff is flipping expensive for a severely disappointing beer (paid $10.45 for a four pack of 12oz bottles.) It's a drinkable beer, don't get me wrong, but I could never in good conscience suggest this to a friend or buy it again myself.

Don't know how anyone could rate this highly. I love pumpkin beers and this, considering the price, is as bad as buffalo bill's cheap swill.

I can't understand why this beer is described as a "full-bodied brown ale" on the box. Coming from one of my favorite breweries, and one that excels at Brown Ales (see Indian Brown and Palo Santo Maroon), I was thoroughly disappointed. Subtlety is not a word that I'd use to describe Dogfish Head, but this beer was so disappointing. I bought three 4-packs today out of sheer excitement and I've never been more let down with a beer.

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery