Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Punkin AlePunkin Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,042 | Hads: 6,230
2.53/5  rDev -35.3%

Pours a deep orangish copper/brown. Bubbly head that settles at a thin film after about ten seconds. Very strong pumpkin pie spice smell. Clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, anise, all these and probably more are in there. There is also a fresh pumpkin smell like when you carve into a jack-o-lantern. Flavor is malty sweet and fruity at first. More of that fresh pumpking smell/taste comes out. The spice takes over every other flavor quickly. In the end, the only other flavor is a hint of booze on my lips. I've never been a fan of the spiced pumpkin beers. Every fall I try to keep an open mind, but the spices always turn me off. It was hard to finish the bottle. If you are into pumpkin beers, this is a probably a great one. It's just not for me.

2.53/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

ight - light amber, almost no head to speak of

Smell - very spicy, lots of cinnamon and a slight cideriness

Taste - syrupy, caramel and spices

Sweet - 3.5/5

Bitter - 1/5

This was very sweet, but not cloyingly though sufficiently sweet to be sickly if you drank more than a few ounces. Not what I would have expected from Dogfish Head.

2.6/5  rDev -33.5%

Not impressed and probably the weakest of Dogfish Head's offerings (with the exception of the Namaste' which I feel bad about reviewing). Sam and his team of brewers are super creative and have done much to promote and grow craft brewing, but I do not always like their beers.

I tried this beer for three seasons in the past four - always wondering if it was just me or maybe I had purchased a beer leftover from the past year and not in the best shape, but alas it has always disappointed. Fans of it tell me that it is unique in that their is a significant hop presence. I just find it muddled and murky with regards to flavors, although I like their clean lines/packaging with regards to the bottle. I will stick with my choices of The Bruery Autumn Maple (not truly a pumpkin beer), Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, and Southern Tier's Pumpkin (although it is not as good as past years and it seems that it is has much more vanilla flavor this year). Trying hard to get a friend to buy some CCB Good Gourd.

2.62/5  rDev -33%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my DFH signature glass. Bottled in 2011.

A: Pours a perfect amber, leaning towards the darker side, with a small half finger very light khaki head that that fades into a thin ring and small pillow of film in the center from the etching.

S: Pretty disappointing. It's hard to pick up anything. Slight pumpkin and a slight cinnamon, but that's about it.

T: Very light pumpkin and then the spices take over. The allspice is leading the way with a slight cinnamon. Malts are the backbone for this. So far my expectations have not been met.

M: Nice mouthfeel. Good carbonation, medium bodied. Slight spice left on the palate.

O: Wow was I let down. After having Pumpking I was very happy to get a 4-pack of this and try them side-by-side. Punkin did not show up at first and when it did it left with its tail between its leg. Very disappointing.

2.64/5  rDev -32.5%

Appearance looks great! A clear crisp and inviting brownish orange with a thin foamy head with a strong lacing. Smell is strange and sour with pumkin flavors. The taste is very sour pumkin rind flavor with the sweeter pumkin aftertaste, I'm not fond of this style I don't think. Mouthfeel is a bit watery and light bodied with much carbonation. Overall this was a bit dissapointing and I don't think I'll ever try this again.

2.68/5  rDev -31.5%

A- Clear orange/copper colored brew. The head was a half a finger width that stayed to play for a while.

S- There is a nice roasted nutty/earthy smell coming from this beer. I'm also getting some of the 7% abv though the smell as well.

T- The roasted nutty/earthy smell is there in the taste as well. The taste is sharp and almost feels like a shot of cheep vodka was dropped into this beer. The after taste is bitter and not appealing.

M- The bitter after taste is not what I was wanting in this beer and it has its way with your tongue.

D- I've had much better pumpkin ales such as Night Owl from Elysian.

2.7/5  rDev -30.9%

Perfect light amber color with a small whitish head that is gone within the minute leaving nothing. I suppose this isn't surprising given the light and fizzy body. Smells like sweet maple syrup - maybe a touch or coriander thrown in for good measure. Tastes, ah, shucks. Bummer. Well, you know, I read the bottle and I was expecting a horror like the Shipyard. Thankfully, it's not that. The spices are light and easy. Ok, half way through the bottle I now get a whiff of pumpkin pie spice on the nose. But the flavor... It's awfully dry (and crisp) - which I find very surprising. Then there are these Thanksgiving spices floating around, and all, but there is an overwhelming sour note to it all. Is that the hops? Do I have a bad bottle? I don't know! I don't know what it's supposed to taste like! I'll certainly be fair and give this one another go at some point, but, whoa.

2.7/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured into a Leffe glass.

Appearance: Poured a golden / bronze color with an initial head of about two fingers which disappeared during the session. Very little lacing.

Nose: There is some spice in the nose, which I was able to detect in the taste as well ... sweet and spicy smell with a hint of alcohol.

Taste: Not as spicy as the nose would allude to, although, admittedly, I am not a pumpkin ale fan. I did not taste pumpkin in this beer.

Mouth: Thin and a bit watery. The alcohol was detectable. Overall, I was unimpressed.

Drinkability: If you like the taste, this would be a drinkable beer. However, as it's not quite my type of beer, I will not be having this particular beer again.

2.7/5  rDev -30.9%

On tap at pacific beach taphouse.

A - Poured copper-golden with 1 finger of head that dissipated fast. Left no lacing.

S/T - Honey and subtle notes of cinnamon and clove. Where is the malt complexity and the hops?

M - Light bodied and malt dominated. I could not get a smidgen of hop goodness out of this beer.

D - Sam needs another go at this one. For a brewery that sells beer at a premium, this one needed some help. It lacked distinct pumpkin flavors, the spice aroma was faint, and the ale was lifeless.

2.7/5  rDev -30.9%

I poured this pumpkin beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. I had seen it on the TV on a show about the brewery and wanted to try it as it sounded pretty good. I would have to tell you no I do not like it it at all. Poured it out in fact and will not buy again.

2.72/5  rDev -30.4%

Original Rating Date:
September 19, 2008

Pours light brown, smells like pumpkin pie. Lots of brown sugar and ginger, pumpkin flavor. Sweet. A bit too much carbonation, some stinging alcohol there also which is uncharacteristic for a DFH brew. Average at best.

2.73/5  rDev -30.2%

On tap at Bailey's Taproom in downtown PDX.

A: Pours a clear coppery color (like pumpkin juice... SORPRIZE!) with moderate head, decent retention, and a few rings of lace down the glass. Pretty nice.

S: Pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, and biscuit. Pretty decent, but after having had a better pumpkin ale the night before, it's not pungent enough to wow me.

T: This tastes like spicy pumpkin soda. An artificial pumpkin flavor to it (which is weird, because I know this is brewed with real pumpkin), finishing with cinnamon, nutmeg, and biscuit. A malty finish. No burn.

M: Fizzy and overcarbonated, which may explain the soda comparison; it's light-bodied and even a bit watery.

D: First and probably last time having this.

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%

Appearance: Pours a light orange, amber color with a small head, no lacing.

Smell: Very sweet and spicy aroma. Clear nutmeg, cinnamon scents. Punkin' smells much spicier than other pumpkin brews and less like the actual dessert.

Taste: Initially sour with very strong allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg flavors, almost like Old Bay. A hint of hops, and more brown sugar as the beer sits. The sourness fades about halfway through the beer, but you still get a weird, yeast/vegetable aftertaste that spoils the brew.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with light carbonation. The aftertaste lingers a bit.

Drinkability: I can't see having more than one of these. Taste aside, the 7% alcohol is pretty formidable, especially for a pumpkin beer.

I'm a huge fan of Dogfish Head, but I can't say I care for this beer. It needs more malt or hops to balance the spices, which overpower the brew's taste. If you're interested in this style, I'd suggest trying Post Road Pumpkin Ale instead.

2.76/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

bottled in 2010. fresh pumpkin beer.

I was kind of surprised to see the ratings on this beer. I remember liking it a lot more. Being 7% ABV, it would certainly age well. But this time I found it to be boozy and somewhat spice dominant rather than actual pumpkin flavors.

a- More of an amber ale than a brown as the bottle states. Some head retention issues, maybe due to the alcohol content. I will say it is remarkably clear.

s- Smells like a spiced up barley wine.

t+m+d- It tastes rather young. Boozy and sweet. I kind of find the spice dosage to be overpowering. There is notable pumpkin flavor, but it is masked by so many other stronger flavors. and although I love my high ABV beers, it just doesn't seem to fit into this beer. The harsh booziness is distracting from the pumpkin, which is the reason I bought this particular beer. Kind of a mess. Maybe its too fresh/young.

I am usually not so critical. I love Dogfish Head and don't mean to rip on them. Just being honest with this beer.

2.77/5  rDev -29.2%

Dispensed from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Beer emerges a very light amber color, certainly not indicative of a brown ale. No brown to speak of. Head is white but has nice retention. Minimal lacing on the glass.

Aroma is weak. Not much if any pumpkin or other pumpkin type aromas. Sweet smelling. Not much hops in the nose here either. Possibly some molasses but otherwise, a very average beer, aroma wise.

Taste is overly sweet and completely unbalanced. I taste small amounts of cinnamon and cloves, but otherwise, just a regular ale. Certainly not a brown, maybe closer to a light red ale. Very dissapointed here as well.

Overall, not a good beer. Mouthfeel has some redeeming qualities as it is close to medium bodied. I do like the spicy cinnamon that pops all over the mouth, almost like strong pepper or pop rocks. Some astringency detracts and deters. I purchased a four pack of this, and it will probably be the only four I ever purchase.

I dont know why it is so hard to make a good pumpkin beer. I have had two pumpkin beers (Post Road and Cottonwood) that are actually pumpkiny and balanced and the whole nine. I love this style and wish there were more offerings that tasted like pumpkin and the fall season, etc. Sigh...

2.79/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, medium amber color with peripheral ring of white foam. No lacing remains on the glass.

S: Very spicy smell, featuring cloves and nutmeg; also with faint cola and cornmeal.

T: Begins mildly spicy, displaying flavors such as cinnamon and nutmeg, with distinct corn tortilla that is re-asserted at the end of the surprisingly bitter finish.

M: Medium viscosity with prickly carbonation that seems to interfere with the depth of flavors present.

D: Although referred to as a "full-bodied brown" ale on the label, this is more like a pale ale with aggressive spices added. The unpleasant flavors here may lend themselves more acceptably to the company of mild savory dishes, but taken alone they cannot help but be called into question.

2.8/5  rDev -28.4%

Appearance: Clear amber orange, little head, no lacing on glass.

Smell: Smells like sweet alcohol with a hint of spice.

Taste: Weak pumpkin flavor, nutmeg is the spice that stands out, and it's just a little too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Thin.

Drinkability: Wouldn't buy this one again.

2.8/5  rDev -28.4%

Had this as a side by side comparison with the Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Also, I'd like to make it clear that I am a very big fan of DFH's IPAs and Brown Ale.

Pours a copper red color with good clarity and a small white head.

Aroma is pumpkin spice with a huge emphasis on the nutmeg. Other spice was detectable like cinnamon and there was a bit of hops.

Taste was pretty flat to me. Mostly wet hops and pumpkin spice. Not very good. There wasn't a good beer taste. It just didn't seem to have a backbone.

Mouthfeel was stingy and watery. Very one-dimensional. Won't get this one again.

2.81/5  rDev -28.1%

A beer that pours a deep copper color. A slight copper-ish/tan head on top. Fades to a thin lace then spotty patches. So far so good but after the appearance, this beer falls apart. Aroma is of spice, nutmeg cinnamon a bit of malt but very little pumpkin. I found it (the pimpkin) hard to find. Taste matches the aroma. Where is the pumpkin? I was hoping for a gritty earthy tone of the pumpkin to complement the spices but was let down. Medium body and carbonation. Drinkability is great if you’re into spiced beers but as for a pumpkin beer goes…there are better

2.81/5  rDev -28.1%

Not having had a chance in the past to taste pumpkin-inspired ales, and given the strong (positive) reviews associated with this product, decided to try.

Color is attractive with good head retention, notes of cinnamon and squash on the nose, palate is very odd to me, with notes of spice and gourd, strangely vegetal hops flavor with unpleasantly sweet malt notes reminiscent of artificial maple-flavored syrup, long aftertaste is also unpleasant, with strange vegetal notes.

Would not recommend, which is disappointing given the excellent products made by Dogfish (I enjoy and recommend both their 60- and 90-minute IPAs).

At issue is whether or not my (unpleasant) experience is style-centric or product-centric; nevertheless, based upon this experience, I will not be tasting any pumpkin-styled seasonal beers for a long time. Perhaps I can exchange the unopened bottles for some strong IPAs or hop-centric Pilsners...

2.81/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Hazy amber with a off white Dogfish Head. Reduced down to a ring with spotty lacing.

S: Not a lot for the nose.

T: Medicinal with a big alcohol presents. Clove and cinnamon with some pumpkin in the back round.
M: Was a little syrupy with low carbonation.

O: This was the last one of the 4 pk I bought in the fall. I have been avoiding it in the back of my refrigerator for several months, nothing changed. Not a good year for DFH. I have have had it in the past and liked it, and will give it another try this year.

2.82/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

This years (2015) Punkin Ale is quite disappointing. I was expecting more cloves, spices, and more pumpkin like the previous years. This year it is more of an alcohol heavy (mouth) Brown Ale this year with a roasty flavor and very minimal smell and taste of pumpkin and spices. Somewhat sweet aftertaste. Pours a medium to dark orange color. It isn't bad, but if you call it a Pumpkin Ale it needs to have a little more pumpkin. I would not buy another pack of Punkin Ale this year. There's always next year!

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a clean orange-ish yellow color, with a white head. Aromas of nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. In the taste, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and a brown sugar sweetness. A spicy mouthfeel, with a dry brown sugar aftertaste. Nice spices, yet a bit sweet. Not much of pumpkin presence, yet still nice.

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

This is from a 12oz. bottle from the 2011 release.

A - Upon pour, you get a nice amber color with just a hint of haze to it. The head was at least a good 2 fingers (might have poured too quickly) with minimal lacing. It quickly dissipates into a ring of foam around the glass.

S - With all the spices listed on the label, it's hard to discern individual smells.

T - Overloaded with spices and very little pumpkin taste, which disappointed me. The cinnamon is somewhat muted along with the pumpkin but I did get tons of allspice. I was hoping to taste more pumpkin.

M - Great medium bodied with the right amount of carbonation.

O - I was really let down. Too many spices going on in this beer and not enough pumpkin taste.

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. It is the 2015 edition.

L - medium dark orange color with a amber hue. Has a clear body with a hint of fog. Not a whole lot of head from the pour.

S - the aroma is difficult to point out, but I would compare it to some of the sours I've had, like a light sour beer scent. No pumpkin, but dried fruit would probably be a culprit.

T - There really isn't a taste to it. It's obviously in my glass and it tastes like a beer, but not a whole lot of flavor in it. The pumpkin is coming through very discreetly, but it does not shine.

F - sessionable beer for being 7% ABV. Very easy to drink and not to harsh on the mouth. Seasoned beer drinker would down a glass of this stuff no problem.

O - Disclaimer: this is my first pumpkin beer. That being said, I've had pumpkin pie, but this is nothing like that. Since it being a beer, this isn't a pumpkin beer that tastes like pumpkin spice. It has sour beer taste but the pumpkin is not there at all, but that could be from the lack of spices in the beer. So, that being said, this could be the anti-pumpkin spice beer for the anti-pumpkin spice person. Cheers!

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery