Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Punkin AlePunkin Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,991 | Hads: 6,006
4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

Draught @ CTRiver Brewers Festival: This may be the best "Pumpkin" beer that I have had yet. This one pours an orangish-amber color, with almost no head. There is a wonderful aroma of pumpkin pie spices. Also some maltiness in there too. The taste is a nice blend of the pumpkin spices with a good malty beer. Some hops also. This was really excellent. (352 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -13.8%

Dark orange-amber in color, very clear. A light head

Strong pumpkin pie aromas as promised, such as cinnamon and nutmeg. Also present are some biscuit-like malt aromas. No discernable hop.

This is a very sweet beer although I now can detect some bitter hop in the swallow. This is a rich ale with a high carbonation--definitely chewy. Strangely lacking flavor (other than sweetness) in the mouth, but the aftertaste is quite complex with the spice and bitterness really coming through.

I'm having this beer in a flight of pumpkin ales (a New England specialty, it appears). I'm not a big fan of sugary beers, like scotch ale. That said, this might be an excellent dessert beer after a hearty meal because it is not sickly sweet. Perhaps a true specialty beer. (768 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

Just a good pumpkin ale right here. Got a pint from supposedly the first tapped keg of this year's batch at Blind Tiger in Manhattan. This pumpkin ale is sweeter and maltier than the only other I have for recent comparison, which is the Smuttynose Pumpkin. There are nice hints of allspice, clove, and maybe cinnamon. The beer also finishes quite dry with a very earthy pumpkin flavor. A Dogfish Head guy (owner, I think?) was at the bar, and gave a little summary of the beer, saying something about fermenting the natural sugars in the pumpkin flesh, which I would imagine contributes to this quality. Anyway, I thought this beer was highly drinkable for a pumpkin ale, and if I wasn't at the Blind Tiger with so many other brews to choose from, I could have knocked back a few more. I'll certainly be aiming to do just that again sometime this fall. (852 characters)

3.91/5  rDev 0%

Light brown color with a hint of red. Odors of light nutmeg and pumpkin, maybe a little brown sugar. Malty sweet flavor at first. Light pumpkin pie flavor in the middle. And light alcohol and hop finish. Overall a balanced approach, nothing too hardcore. (254 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: Pours amber that fades to orange around the edges. It has a white head that quickly fades.

Smell: Hops first, then spices (nutmeg and allspice) with some cinnamon as it warms. Also a bit of pepper is present but it doesn't overpower the other spices.

Taste: Hints of cinnamon, clove, a touch of pepper with a sweet pumpkin finish.

Mouthfeel: crisp and tight. Very refreshing.

Drinkability and overall: Finely crafted and nicely balanced. Hops, spices, and some sweetness (from the pumpkin or malt, not sure) all manage to co-exist in perfect harmony. This is definitely a unique brew and a good way to get ready for fall. (645 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured a very nice deep orange color with a good head that seemed to linger.Good aroma-a really nice mix of spice,malt and pumpkin.Very good malt flavor upfront.The pumpkin actually comes thru in this one-the spices are subtle though definately present-especially compared to some of the other pumpkin brews.Full bodied as is found with most of the Dogfish brews. A very drinkable beer.So far Id have to say if youre looking for a pumpkin brew,try this one. (457 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

This poured out a slightly hazy amber hue with a light tan head of decent size. The head drops to a cap of bubbles leaving little lacing on the glass. The aroma smells of nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin spice, almost exactly like pumpkin pie. The taste had a lot of the same spice elements in it with a bit of malty sweetness like brown sugar. The aftertaste had a nice spice lingering about. I will have to try this with some pumpkin pie because it tastes great and would go perfect of course. The mouthfeel was about average with a light to medium body. Drinkability basically depends on how much you like pumpkin pie type dishes, in my case this is a very drinkable beer that I look forward to each year. Definitely give this one a shot especially if you are looking for a pumpkin ale. (785 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -5.6%

Ahh, autumn. I love this time of year. The cool, crisp nights (it’s actually 90 degrees in Boston today), the colorful leaves. Most importantly, fall beer: Octoberfests and Pumpkin Ales. I started out with Dogfish Head Punkin ale this year. It poured a medium brown with just a slight head, and a mild lace. You can catch a hint of the cinnamon the nose before the nutmeg hits you. It’s the spice that dominates. This carries over into the taste. Nutmeg up front, and pumpkin in the middle. Just a touch of the malt on the back end. It has a medium mouthfeel. With the spice flavors, this would seem to be a great “warmer”. I’m not sure I could drink to many of these though do to the heavy spice influence. (712 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

Holy crap, this is quite literally pumpkin pie in a bottle! My first pumpkin beer, but not my first fruit/vegetable, and I'm fairly impressed with it.

Pours a (what else) pumpkin-orange color, with light and lacy cream colored head. Smell is of nutmeg and cinnamon. The bottle claims that the beer is brewed with real pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg, and they are right; I can identify each flavor in the brew! Not much hops to note. This is a fun brew to find, especially if you find a four pack on sale for four bucks like I did. However, I won't be making this a regular brew, as I can't drink many of these before longing for more traditional beer. A good idea for Thanksgiving dinner, perhaps? (721 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

Clear copper body with a medium cream-colored head that fades into a creamy ring around a stormy weather pattern. The aroma is really more spice than pumpkin, but the spice isn’t overwhelming. There’s a slightly cake-like and caramel malt underneath. The flavor is lightly sweet and mostly balanced except for a bitterness that doesn’t seem to quite fit in with the rest of the flavors. I’ve had better pumpkin ales. (420 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

This is an '03 bottle but tastes fine..actually better than fine...too many of these Pumpkin beers are thin and soapy tasting with artificial pumpkin flavors...this is thick, full bodied...with great natural flavors...drinking this makes me long for my favorite season of fall..the flavors are subtle but there is a multitude of them...brown sugar sweetness is the first thing I notice on the taste...followed by a soft nutmeg flavor and it closes with a strong blast of licorice...the nose is big on the cinnamon....this is a quality beer....7% no less....I wish I could access a 12er of this every fall for enjoying from time to time...perhaps my favorite pumpkin beer...this brewery contines to impress me...wish I had easier access...I don't have a set top 10 list of brewers but these guys would have to make it based on the variety and quality of their brews...

Scores are per style...based on the fact no-one has been close to them on this style.. (957 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance:

Crystal clear brown with faint white head.

Smell:

Like pumpkin pie with nutmeg and pumpkin predominating.
Taste/Mouthfeel:

Malty and sweet with clove, pumpkin and nutmeg bursting forth on the palate. One of the better pumpkin ales around during the fall. (281 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -11.3%

I know it’s not really the season for this beer but what the heck. I might have been even more let down if I tried it around Halloween. Pours a luminescent orange/copper color with a medium thin beige head. Head retention is pretty weak, and thin lacing. The aroma is spiced with cinnamon and ginger, as well as malt. The mouthfeel is kind of syrupy and sweet, with malt, cinnamon and brown sugar flavors. It becomes overbearing at times. The finish retains the sweet character and is pumpkiny (?) and malty. This is a decent seasonal, it is just a little too much in the sweet department at times. (599 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

Quite a tasty spiced beer. I can really taste the allspice and cinnamon flavors the whole time the beer is in my mouth; I like the creaminess and the carbonation as I think they add to the experience. Smells OK, nothing to write home about but certainly tasty. This beer reminds me of Harpoon's Winter Warmer, one of my favorite holiday brews. (343 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had a hard time finding this stuff in NY for some reason, picked some up at New England Beverage Co. during Extreme Beer but had to sacrifice it to the Beer Gods to get Slander's dead jeep out of R.I. Luckily, I was able to get more at NEBC on the way to AOBF.

Pours golden-orange with a transient head, smells like butter squash and ginger. Very sweet and sugary taste of ginger, allspice, and pumpkin seeds with a great mild hoppiness and cinnamon flavor that makes it splicy in the mouth, but leaves a clean finish. A bit too sweet to be especially drinkable, but I can't think of any pumpkin brew (except maybe Southampton) that I could drink more than 2 of anyway. Worth dragging all the way home though. (712 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours out a brown amber with a big off-white head. I do taste the pumpkin, butI wish I tasted it more. Balance is solid, and flavor is tasty-good. Certainly a beer whichh I enjoy drinking, but not up there with my favorite pumpkin beers. Try it, itisquite easyto driinkkk. (272 characters)

Not surprisingly, a hazed glowing orange appearance. Slight beige head with good retention. Lace is droopy and fairly abundant. This one's got a really nice pumpkin pulp aroma with hardly any spicing noticed on the nose...which is good. A little cinnamon. The mouthfeel has a pleasant feel with an appropriate amount of carbonation. Body seems to be about medium full. The flavors are primarily sweet. Pumpkin pulp, sweet molasses, carmelized sugar. Good stuff. And the spicing is subdued, but nice. Again, the cinnamon comes to the forefront.

This is really a pretty good pumpkin ale, even in April.

I thank Mr. Cokes for the sample. (642 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured an orangy copper color with minimal head and adequate lacing.

The smell was like a spice cake. Pumpkin, nutmeg and maybe a little carrot taste.

The flavor was great, like drinking a spice or carrot cake. A wonderful mix of spices, pumpkin and cinnamon and nutmeg and other related flavors. The only complaint is a strong nutmeg and allspice aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is smooth with the flavors introducing themselves gently and fading slowly. If not for that little aftertaste, it would be perfect.

A nice beer for something different, as with many other flavored beers, I wouldn't recommend consuming more than one or two. The flavors aren't good in large amounts. (685 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

The color is a cloudy orange. It is warming for those cool fall nights and has a pumpkin spice aroma. The taste was of nutmeg and cinnamon finishing off with brown sugar. The alcohol content was too overwhelming. The spices were not well balanced with the maltiness. The aftertaste was great, but the beer itself was just okay. (327 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

The beer pours a hazy glowing orange. Backlit, it turns a fiery shade of cinnamon, brightened by the suspended yeast pour, topped with a thin, scattered, off white mist. I poured the beer into a belgian style tulip goblet, which usually creates a healthy froth of head, but this quickly dropped into a medium sized collar, with a tight swirl of mist in the middle. No lace. I suppose the lack of head retention could be attributed to the alcohol and lack of hop presence. The color is spectacular, easily a 5 if there was a better head.
The aroma is very spicy and rich. Plenty of toasty caramel malt is boosted by a well spiced pumpkin pie blend. The ginger is very apparent, along with nutmeg. Some cinnamon adds a whiff of fireball candy, with perhaps a bit of brown sugar. Not too much in the way of actual pumpkin, if anything, more or less just the spices. No apparent hops. It reminds me of going to my grandmother's house when i was little and opening the spice cabinet, just standing on a chair inhaling the cacaphony of exotic aromas and looking at the strange little bottles and leaves wrapped in paper. Bright oranges, dull greens, and earthen browns.
The flavor starts with a pleasantly toasty caramel maltiness, riding all the way through the sip. The spices come in immediately, with cinnamon and brown sugar lending a spicy sweetness. Perhaps a bit of squash in the middle, with a slight ginger tang that grows steadily into the finish. Just a hint of cookie dough yeastiness. The brown sugar remains throughout, somewhat like belgian candi sugar in it's placement. A bit of ginger spiciness, along with a mild nutmeg bite, make up the finish. It blends nicely with the caramel malt, creating a feel not unlike liquid pumpkin pie. A fog of boozey alcohol adds a slight tingle to the finish, numbing the tongue slightly, reminding oneself of it's rather potent alcohol content. A faint saccharine sweetness in the aftertaste, coupled with assertive ginger, creates an almost artificial flavor. Similar to a fireball candy after a plate of sushi. The beer is fairly big bodied, I'd say on the portly side of medium, but easily carried by a sparkly, boisterous carbonation. A bit cloying overall, particularly in the finish, with a sugary feel throughout. One bottle of this is quite enough for me.
One of, if not the biggest, seasonal pumpkin ales out there. Perhaps a bit over-wrought, with too much spiced sweetness. I feel like I'm drinking a candy store, especially when it warms up. Perhaps a bit more punkin and grainy malt, and less allspice and brown sugar. I can appreciate the effort and laud the inventiveness, but it's not for me. Well worth the money for the pack, for the experience alone, but I'll stick with marzens come september. (2,764 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Allspice. Fascinating stuff.

The first thing I did after opening this beer was to go sniff a bowl in my sink. That might seem kind of an odd thing to be doing after opening a beer. But it's not: This evening I made chicken shawarma sandwiches.

That probably doesn't clarify much. So let me explain: In the marinade for the sandwiches, I use allspice, cardamom, yogurt, and vinegar. And the sweet, balanced, spicy aroma that marches through my nostrils after leaving the marinade bowl is the same damn thing I'm smelling in this beer. Must be the allspice, even though I only use like 4 friggin granules of spice in the recipe. Quite an astonishing comparison though.

So that gives you an idea. The spices really shine through here -- pumpkin pie, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. (Duh.) One might think that such an infusion of those types of flavors would lead to an overly sweet, unbalanced, undrinkable brew. Really, it's the opposite. The sweetness is matched, harnessed, and played upon beautifully. And it results in one of the best, easiest-to-drink beers I've had in a while.

Second best pumpkin beer I've ever had -- the first being Kuhnhenn's bottled take on the style. (1,188 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -2.3%

I've had this beer in my fridge for about 4 months. The aroma is dominated by nutmeg and pumpkin, maybe even some clove. Off-white head leaves a little lace as it fades to a film. Transparent amber colored beer with an orange hue. The pumpkin pie aroma carries over into the flavor, but isn't as strong. There's some hops down there that can't quite make it to the surface. It's not as thick as the aroma suggests, the flavor is pretty strong but doesn't stick to your tongue, I wouldn't call the finish clean, but it doesn't hang around long either. It definitely leans more towards the pumpkin pie end with spices present. Loads of flavor and aroma are probably too much for half the beer drinkers out there. If you don 't like pumpkin pie stay away, otherwise I'd say drink it closer the bottling date so the hops have a fighting chance. (840 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -21%

This is going to be a quality taste test meeting. I have a good feeling about this one. This Punkin ale pours a mixed fall season leaves. The head is a light tan.

Huge Root Beer aroma. Sudbtle nuances of pumpkin and nutmeg illustrate the nose as well. This also kind of smells like a coke/vodka combination. It is quite wierd. It smells...just not great at all.

Blah. I'm struggling to get this stuff down. This stuff is total destruction to my mouth. No lack of flavor just bad flavor and this stuff is way too carbonated.

Yuck

Down the Drain

Not So Fast

This stuff is beginning to taste alright. It calmed down quite a bit. More spices are starting to come about. More pumpkin in the front palate. The mid-palate is still pretty gross but the finish has calmed and grown to be quite complex and lovely with banana creme pie cast as the most prominent "actor" in the play called "To Please My Mouth."

The mouthfeel has also grown to be quite lovely. Very full in the mouth.

Quite "alcoholic" in its linger. (1,033 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

This brew was a big surprise in the Pumpkin ale style. The line I shall plagerize from another reviewer (Ale Street?) is that "It is the only Pumpkin beer I'd have twice".

Dogfish did a great job with this brew. The pumpkin is well balanced with a strong sweet backing (brown sugar?). The combination works well. Very easy beer to drink, though even at a holloween event, it was hard to drink more than two. This is far more than a simple "me too" beer brewed with pumpkin, it's a beer that very well might define this niche style. Though not really something I'd normally do with a brew, I have discovered that this a great beer to cook with! (646 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -4.9%

Good looking burnt orange brew with white head that falls to ring of ever rising bubbles. Smells wonderful pumpkin, nutmeg, allpice and touch of cinnamon, Thanksgiving in a bottle had a couple of bottles with Thanksgiving dinner went well, saved a couple for review as you can see I tend to procrastinate. Only got to try three pumpkin brews this year due to my location in Budwiser is King land this one tasted the most spicey of the three. Great fall brew but, wouldn't drink on regular basis, as I would the other pumpkin ale I reviewed. Tastes like it smells mouthfeel is on light side of medium good spice beer for the occasion. (633 characters)

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery