Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,964 | Reviews: 2,012

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

3.36/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a bottle into a very festive orange coppery color. I don't get much of a smell off of this one. Taste is immediately very autumn-refreshing. Sweetness with a good dose of the alcohol taste of the 7% coming through. The pumpkin flavor hits midway through the taste and not overpowering or chemically not many pumpkin beers. The pumpkin lingers with a bit of bitterness. It's good, not great.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance: A hazy orange, with a filmy, bubbly, light-gold head that does not persist. In other words, a bit of a warning label, but I usually find such things to be subjective false alarms.

Smell: A magical mix of spices takes me back to holidays at my parents' house. Sappy, but true. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and other Christmassy flavors you would find in either warm apple cider or a nice mulled wine. With all the spices, it would be nice to have some malt, hops, melanoidins, or esters on the nose, however.

Taste: Holy smokes! A pumpkin ale that actually tastes like pumpkin! Even a nice pie crust flavor comes through. The aforementioned spices are all present, as is an interesting dull bitterness that seems to come from a high amount of toasted malt as opposed to hops. My guess is that a bit of caramel malt would round things out for me a bit more.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body and medium-high carbonation make this more spritzy than other pumpkin ales. But despite the carbonation and noticeable bitterness, the finish isn't dry. Rather, it's clean and smooth.

Overall: Really, the best pumpkin ale I've had to date, although that isn't saying much since I'm hardly a pumpkin ale fan. Impressed by the well-blended mix of nostalgic spices and the actual presence of pumpkin flavors! However, I do feel there is some room for improvement. As tasty as those spices are, their large presence makes thigs a bit unbalanced.

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Burnt orange in color with a cream colored head that went away quickly.

S: Lots of sweetness and pumpkin pie spice as well as molasses.

T: Strong in the spices, a little more pumpkin flavor then in the nose but not much.

M: Very creamy but still a bit to watery for my taste. Alcohol is nicely hidden.

O: This is one of the better pumpkin beers Ive had yet. I wasn't super impressed by it, but, I will probably buy this again next year.

2.81/5  rDev -28.7%

Not having had a chance in the past to taste pumpkin-inspired ales, and given the strong (positive) reviews associated with this product, decided to try.

Color is attractive with good head retention, notes of cinnamon and squash on the nose, palate is very odd to me, with notes of spice and gourd, strangely vegetal hops flavor with unpleasantly sweet malt notes reminiscent of artificial maple-flavored syrup, long aftertaste is also unpleasant, with strange vegetal notes.

Would not recommend, which is disappointing given the excellent products made by Dogfish (I enjoy and recommend both their 60- and 90-minute IPAs).

At issue is whether or not my (unpleasant) experience is style-centric or product-centric; nevertheless, based upon this experience, I will not be tasting any pumpkin-styled seasonal beers for a long time. Perhaps I can exchange the unopened bottles for some strong IPAs or hop-centric Pilsners...

3.23/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Let me start this off by saying I'm a huge pumpkin beer fan, that's the style of beer that originally got me interested in anything other than piss water (Coors, Bud, Miller, etc) after college. I'm not sure why people seem to like this so much, there are a lot of other better pumpkins out there that most people have access to. All in all I'd say its slightly above average but only because there are so many breweries out that make a shitty pumpkin beer only trying to cash in on the style. It's worth trying but for the amount you're spending on a 4-pack of this I'd go for a different pumpkin depending on what you have access to.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery