Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

small lacey head, orangey. Spicey cinammon, spicey,allspice, nutmeg, some maltness spice chest, chia tea with some hop bitterness. Drying, very vegatable taste. No expiry date. Gourdy taste. This tastes like a beer rather a fruity sweety cooler.Medium to full mouthfeel.

Sammy, Feb 07, 2006

t0rin0, Sep 20, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

A - Pours a hazy pale orange color with a 1 inch head that fades to a fizzy soda like cap. No lacing was present.

S - Smells of sweet bread dough, tangy fruits, and pumpkin pie spices.

T - Bitter/spice taste to start out with a malty aftertaste.

M - Decent carbonation gives a bubbly coating feeling in the mouth.

D - Solid niche beer. I am glad I tried this beer and I would probably get it again in the fall but it wasn't something I would drink a lot of. Definitely one of the best pumpkin ales though...

UCLABrewN84, May 14, 2010

djrn2, Jan 05, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Dark brown color with some lighter highlights. Good lacing.

S: Lots of pumpkin flavor along with all the accompanying spices. The brown sugar is a really nice tough.

T: Like the smell, this one is all pumpkin pie, and the sweetness added by the brown sugar is just incredible. The spicing is absolutely perfect. By far the best-tasting pumpkin beer I've ever had.

M: Nice and creamy. Medium body.

D: Everything gets to be a little much to have more than one, but this is a damn fine brew.

Thorpe429, Apr 27, 2009

nmann08, Dec 05, 2011

zestar, Jun 13, 2013
3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Punkin bottle
Appearance: Copper color with small head, very little lacing.
Aroma: Nutmeg, cinnamon more spices and of course Pumpkin.
Taste: Nice balance of spices, no one spice is too dominate. Good pumpkin flavor. Smooth and not too heavy, medium carbonation. Very drinkable, goes down more like a 5 or 6%.

acurtis, Nov 11, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

A: The beer poured amber in color with just a few bubbles floating on the surface and a light amount of carbonation.
S: There's a moderate aroma of pumpkin, spices and sweetness in the aroma that comes very close to resembling pumpkin pie.
T: The taste has a good balance between sweetness and spices; the flavors of pumpkin, brown sugar and the spices really stand out.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and silky smooth.
D: The beer is very drinkable. I would definitely try this again because the taste is rather interesting and complex for the style.

metter98, May 29, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy Punkin color with a decent enough head that leaves some dots and strands of lacing on the glass

Smell: Pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice and cinnamon aroma

Taste: Pumpkin bread flavor up front that is quickly joined by the allspice peppery tones; mid-palate, the bitter hops kick in; after the swallow, the brown sugar becomes more apparent and provides a balanced finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate, but prickly carbonation; smooth finish which hides the alcohol well

Drinkability: I have been critical of this beer in the past, and had an awful experience with it on draft earlier this year, but this year's bottled version has won me over; the fusel alcohol problem is gone and it has a nice flavor profile

brentk56, Nov 24, 2006

Generously bubbled pumpkin orange capped by a pastel orange, whipped creamy head that is a perfect color match for the beer that created it. The three finger cap has a considerable amount of patience, but doesn't look sticky enough to grab and hold onto the glass. A lack of lace is a minor disappointment that doesn't spoil a very nice pumpkin beer look.

The nose is as expected: baked pumpkin flesh and pumpkin pie spices. Perhaps I should go along with Dogfish Head and start writing punkin'. I've smelled pumpkinier versions and I've smelled spicier versions, but this one can hold its own against all but the most aromatic. Amazingly enough, even at a relatively high pumpkin ale ABV of 7%, there's no alcohol evident in the nose.

This is lovely stuff, even if the alcohol is now easily appreciated. This is definitely a different sort of pumpkin ale, a stronger version of the usual gourd beer. It's sweet and malty with a generous amount of caramel flavor. The spices aren't as up-front on the palate. The label indicates that allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg were used. They're all identifiable, with none dominating the others.

If I was in charge at the brewery, I'd knock the ABV back a full 2% (or try harder to mask it) and would add more brown sugar and spice. It's their beer, though, so I guess I'll have to take it or leave it. Um... I'll take it. This really is a quality fall seasonal.

The decision to build a sturdier pumpkin ale pays dividends when it comes to the mouthfeel. It's a few notches more full than medium and is as smooth as heavy silk. Too many bubbles on the initial pour become just the right amount before very long at all.

Punkin' Ale is one of the better versions that I've run across. It doesn't seriously challenge my clear favorite (Smuttynose Pumpkin), but it's definitely worthwhile and is deliciously different. If you have any interest in the style whatsoever, I suggest you get Punk'd as soon as possible.

BuckeyeNation, Dec 01, 2005
3.3/5  rDev -16.5%

Bottle: Poured a deep amber color ale with a medium head with below average retention. Aroma is quite spicy (probably some cinnamon and the pumpkin) with some malt also noticeable. Taste is also quite spicy with cinnamon being the most recognisable spices with some pumpkin on the side. Not bad but I wouldn’t drink a whole lot of this either.

Phyl21ca, Dec 29, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

Wow. They put a lot of stuff in it to legitimize it per style. Looks creamy and carbonated coper to orange. Loosely knit carbonation that may fade, yet laces nicely. Smelly sweet fruity and malty albeit ordinary. Spiciness and sharpness give character. Tastes moderately sweet, yet gives extra complexity with allspice, cinnemon, ginger, pepper, nutmeg, and body building malts. Spices give a lot of complexity, yes still conveys hop balance and alcoholic warming through the body. Finishes a dry and harsh in the alcohol--fusal. Utimately a pumpkin flavored beer worth drinking. Dogfish Head is simply incapable of brewing a bad beer.

BEERchitect, Jul 16, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +2%

Another one I cannot believe that I have not tried before. This one was just right up my alley and exactly what I was looking for to start out my evening. Poured into a pint glass and served right out of the fridge, it was consumed on 10/08/2009.

The pour was about what I would have expected with a light brown color, hazy with an orange tint to it. Nice light head creeps up on the top an settled down nearly perfectly with nice lacing down the sides of the glass and a good bit of carbonation peaking up from the bottom. Aroma is spice, pumpkin and cinnamon, hints of brown sugar and a nice light touch of herbal hops that gave it just the right amount of balance. Smooth and very even flavor here. Rich cinnamon and all spice lead the way here, like a nice slice of pumpkin pie, but with a kick. Even carbonation is nicely placed and a well crafted seasonal is what we get. Lightly dry finish leaves you looking for a little more as the light brown sugar notes really start to show as it warms up.

Overall very solid. I am surprised I had not run into this earlier and while it was very good, I almost wish it was just a little bit more upfront. Very solid and super drinkable, just needs a little extra kick for me to put it in the awesome range.

mikesgroove, Oct 09, 2009

Texasfan549, Nov 17, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

kjkinsey, Dec 02, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

A: I poured the bottle picked up from Hi-Time into my Russian River pint glass. It poured a clear, light brown color with a two finger off-white foam.

S: Not that much going on in the nose. I primarily pick up a yeasty and doughy aroma with some notes of spice.

T: The taste is much better than the nose, and for this, I am grateful. Nice notes of cinnamon and all-spice, and a solid pumpkin flavor. Not as sweet as many other pumpkin beers (ie. Pumking).

M: Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. The carbonation helps to keep things a little bit lighter.

D: I've been wanting to try this one out as I figured if anyone could do a good pumpkin beer, it would be DFH. It's definitely a solid offering, and one of the better pumpkin beers I've had.

womencantsail, Oct 18, 2009

ygtbsm94, Dec 30, 2011

GRG1313, Sep 07, 2014

spycow, Mar 10, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +17.7%

A: single finger head. Nice lace. Clear amber with crimson hues.

S: very nice pumpkin pie and spice aroma.

T: lots of dull pumpkin taste with brown sugar notes.

M: medium body. Moderate to high carbonate.

Overall: this is exactly how I want my pumpkin ales to taste. One of the best.

kylehay2004, Sep 16, 2011

jaydoc, Aug 31, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance: Pours a clear copper body topped by a small off-white head with moderate lacing.

Smell: The aroma is plenty spicy, with gobs of nutmeg and allspice present. As for the pumpkin aromawise, it's a no-show.

Taste: Light toffee sweetness upfront with a fair amount of nutmeg and especially cinnamon, which provides a nice spicy bitterness. Where have all the pumpkins gone?

This is a pumpkin ale, if I remember correctly. Sadly, you hardly get a true sense of any pumpkin in this brew.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with an ample carbonation that comes across as fizzy. Too fizzy, really.

Drinkability: The pumpkin flavor was subtle to the point of being absent. Sure, there's plenty of spices, but the missing pumpkin flavor was a disappointment, and made for an uninteresting beer. I guess $8.99 doesn't get you much pumpkin these days.

ChainGangGuy, Nov 13, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

This is probably my second favorite Pumpkin Ale that I've had. It had been first until I tried the Southern Tier Pumking. However, this ale poured out as a nice looking copper color with a fizzy white head on top. The smell of the beer has a pretty good spicy aroma to it with some malt in there too. The taste of the beer is pretty impressive compared to a lot of other pumpkin ales out there. The taste of pumpkin and spice really blend nicely together. The mouthfeel has a good solid body to it with a good amount of carbonation in there. Overall it's one of my favorite seasonals for sure. I look forward to the release every year. I normally pick up a 4 pack when I see it.

Knapp85, Aug 16, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

I have to say this one is the best pumpkin ale I have had a real nice brew.Pours a burnt orange color with a real nice creamy 1/2 inch head that leaves some nice lacing,aroma is of some serious nutmeg and cardimum with light cinnamon notes.Taste hits with a real pumpkin flavor with the sices hitting after the initial pumpkin flavor so you get the whole spectrum of flavors.A great all around beer definently with the weather changing right now.Very nice,had at Tavern 616 in North Wales,PA.

oberon, Oct 02, 2003