Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,990 | Reviews: 2,016
4.4/5  rDev +11.7%

A:honey amber. Poured a nice frothy head with good lacing.
S:Definate cinnamon, nutmeg and hops.
T:Hops with light, not over powering, pumpkin spicey cinnamon and nutmeg
M:Good carbonation.Goes down smooth and refreshing.
D:A good session beer. I plan on a few after this one.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

I'm from Delaware. Special love for Dogfish Head. Without letting that affect my thoughts on this beer -

First pumpkin beer I recall every loving when I started drinking the style.

Spices dominate the nose. cinnamon, nutmeg, some notes of pumpkin.

Taste - Where this beer excels. Pumpkin is the first thought. Followed up by the added spices. Nutmeg is especially prevalent. Cinnamon is there without being redundant. Malt pulls this together.

Drinkable? Yes. Top fall choice. Drinkable, flavorful, with very little palate fatigue.

4.87/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Snifter straight down the middle. I've had this particular bottle in my beer fridge for three months.

A: Bright ruby orange body. Minimal head. The glass is creating an active bubbling up the center.

S: Raw pumpkin. Allspice. Nutmeg. More pumpkin. Smells like an extremely fresh pumpkin pie in your glass. As good as advertised.

T: The spices dominate the taste. Allspice, cinnamon, brown ale malt, brown sugar. No pumpkin flavor on the palate.

M: Crisp and sharp carbonation when cold. Mouthfeel gets significantly smoother and richer as the beer warms. Good balance throughout.

D: Wonderful and warming. Slightly better with age, but after 3 months or 12 months it essentially drinks the same as it does in season. It doesn't age like some of Dogfish's bigger beers. One is good but two are better. This is everything you could hope for in a pumpkin ale.

3.84/5  rDev -2.5%

A nice Amber pour - little head after a fairly vigorous pour.

The smell is of course like pumpkin spice -- I pick up the sweetness in the finish.

At 7% - and the body of the beer being fairly heavy combined with the sweetness -- it is definitely a one or two beer after dinner drink.

A solid offering from Dogfish Head.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Memphis, TN....

Appearance: Pours a nice deep orangish brown with a 2 finger head. Nice retention.

Smell: Nutmeg, cinnamon, faint hint of pumpkin.

Taste: Tastes like a well balanced brown ale with a slight hint of pumpkin in the aftertaste. Also some spice notes. Definitely a malt dominated beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Excellent mouthfeel. The alcohol is not overpowering and the beer finishes sticky, but not too thick. I think this is a fine seasonal beer that really hits the spot if you are in the mood for something different.

Pours liquid pumpkin. Its a unique amber color. It smells like cookies and beer mixed together in a glass. Ok now I'm eating a piece of pumpkinpie courtesy of my roommate...words cannot explain. Drink Punkin with pumpkin pie! Its like dessert, perfect for a cool fall night. Very drinkable IMO.

4.73/5  rDev +20.1%

I used to think Dogfish Head was a little overrated...then I tried their Punkin Ale. It's the best Pumpkin Ale I've ever tasted. It's the perfect blend of sweetness and spice. It's rich but still incredibly drinkable. In fact, I find myself craving more when I'm out, which is rare for pumpkin ales...many of which will I'll still find sitting in my fridge after Christmas. It's got plenty of pumpkin without overdoing it. It's 7.0% ABV but you won't know it until your glass is empty. It's delicious.

The one criticism I guess I would have is that the nose is small, but who cares! Enjoy one while you're carving your pumpkin.

Recommend music paring: Preston School of Industry - All This Sounds Gas

3.37/5  rDev -14.5%

I hate to give any DFH a rating below an A but this one mildly disappointed me. It looks good and smells great, but the flavor is far too spiced and not enough pumpkin...its their, don't get me wrong, just needs more. The spiceyness made it a little difficult to drink more than one in a sitting.

A: Pours amber, with hints of a warm brown. Nice head with good retention.

S: Strong pleasant aroma, spice up front and a bit of malt, perhaps a little maple syrup or other sweetness from the pumpkin.

T: Balanced, less pumpkin than I would have expected. I did not find the spices to be overwhelming. I could see how the spice could be a bit much if you were drinking this with certain foods. Malt flavors also really come through. Spice comes back in finish. Little or no hops, but wasn't expecting too much of this.

M: Medium body, pleasant amount of carbonation.

D: This is very well rounded. Most pumpkin ales a so full of spice that you may really only want them around the holiday. I think this brew is great year round.

3.79/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours deep pumpkin orange with perhaps half a fingers' worth of white foamy head. After an initially flurry of carbonation, the body looks fairly placid and transparent.

S: Much more spice than pumpkin, but pumpkin's there. Cinnamon and clove in particular stick out. Tiny malts underneath.

T: Like the nose, not much pumpkin. The spices are pretty well balanced but subtle. I want more punch. Not as sweet as other pumpkin ales. If you don't like the sweetness in other examples of the style, you might like this. A good amount of cinnamon sticks out. There's a tiny touch of heat in the finish, along with a tiny touch of pumpkin.

D: A bit sharp on the carbonation for my tastes, but goes down super smooth for a 7% brew.

O: There's better pumpkin ales out there, methinks. Still, a tasty treat.

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

My favorite pie with my favorite, uh, fermented beverage.

This tastes much better than I remember it tasting last year. I don't know why. Anyway, I liked this beer when I had it last year, I really like it now.

The overall impression here is that this is a beer first and foremost. A tasty and slightly strong brown ale, with some spiciness from the alcohol, and strong malty flavor. Aroma smells faintly like pumpkin pie filling. The pumpkin and spices are always creeping around the edge, blending well with the traditional malty beer flavors of raisins, grape juice, chocolate and caramel. This is a sweet beer, but never overwhelmingly so. I can't detect much hop flavor or aroma, but the bittering hops are certainly doing their job to keep the other flavors from getting out of hand.

Mouthfeel is very creamy. Carbonated to perfection I think. I also dig the light brown color of the beer, which seems to have a tinge of orange.

My favorite pumpkin beer. Well, one of two that are distributed in my town, so I guess that's not saying much. But it's still an excellent beer, as far as beers go.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

The 2007 version, poured into a snifter.

A: This is a pretty beer, amber with a tinge or orange. The almost-fluffy white head dissipates quickly, leaving a nice lace behind.

S: You get a sense of the spice involved, but not enough to really suggest what's coming next.

T: This is my favorite pumpkin beer for a reason. This is exceptionally balanced, the actual pumpkin flavor meshing nicely with the spices. I don't even like pumpkin pie that much, in part because I wish it tasted more like this. Can we make a pumpkin ale pie instead?

M: Actually wish this was just a touch thicker.

D: Yummy, but. It's rich, and alcohol is a little heavy at 7 percent (not that you'd notice from a taste); a couple in one sitting is plenty for me. Still, as far as I'm concerned, this is the gold standard for pumpkin beer.

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bottle smuggled to Guam in luggage from Colorado. The temperature differences likely played very little in taste change. Bottle says 7/21/09 bottle date.

Poured into a regular tumbler. Clear and amber color, wispy lacing with low head retention. Smells like vegetables, orange and - pumpkin, imagine that. There is also an off smell which is almost bark like.

Taste is smooth and creamy on the front and gives a mild acidity and bitterness as an aftertaste. You can taste the alcohol and the pumpkin, but there is also a sugary cake taste in there that follows the initial mouthfeel.

This one is not my favorite from DFH and it leaves a bit to be desired from me. However I do think it is the best of the style and is truest to form so it definitely gets style points.

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%

Ahhh I'm so happy for this as the fall approaches. My favourite season tends to coincide with the release of amazing seasonal brews. Pours a deep, amberish colour with a thick head that disappeared quickly. The smell is the best part. Spicy, cinnamony, warm. It embodies the fall to me. The taste is much the same. Some people trying this with me found it to be too spicy and thought it was an odd flavour for a beer. I think it's great. Regardless of the slight bitterness, it goes down smooth. I recommend this highly , but I will admit that perhaps I am romantacizing a beer too much.

4.49/5  rDev +14%

Man, 20 cases of these guys came in the door this morning, so one had to be popped.

pours an orange-amberish clear brew with a quarter inch head that remains as the pint progresses.

ummmm...smells like fall. some pumpkin smell mixed with nutmeg, cinnamon and gingerbread notes.

i usually think pumpkin beers are gross. maybe it's because dogfish actually uses real pumpkins in the mash. this one just so damn delicious. you really get the brown sugar in this years batch, but the spices balance it out and it doesn't get too sweet.

my one knock on this is that as it warms it can get a little boozy.
all in all - this one's up there with weyerbacher imperial as one of my favorites pumpkin ales. another job well done from the dudes over at dogfish.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

A. Red/orange brew, 1 in cream head and moderate lacing

S.Hops, cinnamon, brown sugar and malt

T. Spice of pumpkin pie along with cinnamon and hops as an aftertaste

M. Smooth and sweet with a honeyness.

D. Too strong for a session but incredible taste and higly enjoyable.

2.45/5  rDev -37.8%

Poured into a snifter, nice 1 inch head. Color is amber with a touch of red. Smells of Cinnamon and nutmeg, getting some sort of smell rotting vegitibles as well. Taste is mostly nutmeg with alltile cinnamon, i am getting no hints punkin flavor. Really this taste more like some winter warmers to me. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy but nothing to write home about. Though the flavors are not offensive this beer let me down and after i finish the rest of my pack i doubt i will buy this again let alone taste unless this is included at an event i attend. Not reccomended, so far the best i have had for the style is Punking.

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A) White head, tinted slightly orange, very tight. Light brown hue to the beer.

S) Nutmeg, cinnamon, butter

T) Nutmeg, cinnamon, Pumpkin pie...

All in all thought this beer could have tasted more like pumpkin

Cheers!

4.62/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Favorite season, perfect reason.

A- great pumkin orange/copper color. Small head that lasts.

S- lots of good stuff. Malt is up front and big. Bready, toffee, gram cracker. Nice balanced spices. No one spice takes the lead. More beer and pumpkin than spice which is a nice change. Like the whole pie, not just spiced fizz.

T- Nice big ale. Real malty, bready, nice pumpkin character. Well spice, cinnamon lingers into finish. Almost a gingerbread appeal. Fantastic big beer flavor married perfectly with real pumpkin pie.

M- Medium body, nice full mouth of bread and bubbles.

O- I could drink a million of these.

Best pumpkin beer ever. Full and rich, tastes like ale and fall, drinkable but one will do. Doesn't taste like a candle, or like a scented budwater. One more perfect beer from DFH.

4.28/5  rDev +8.6%

Has this one for the first time tonight and I was very excited to try it, here are my initial thoughts.

Look: orange with a slight amber hue and a small creamy colored head. Very lovely in appearence.
Smell: exactly like the bottle saying says: pie spices, pumpkin, brown sugar, and a mild hop aroma. Just a good smell all in all.

Taste: almost identical to the aroma, linking starts of with a malty forefront giving you the taste of pumpkin, pie spices, and brown sugar and a decent hop kick at the end. A good solid flavor overall.

Feel: smooth, silky, just a tad bit thick, and a prickly feeling on thee tongue before it goes down. Wonderful feeling overall.

Drinkability: truly outstanding drinkability; punkin is smooth, crisp, refreshing, solid, and just overall tastes good. I could easily drink this one back to back.

I will admit I'm not a huge fan of the hop kick at the end, but all in all this really is just a wonderful beer that's perfexct for summer or fall. Chalk up another classic from Dogfish Head in my book.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Traded a bottle of Penn Brewing Oktoberfest for this from a friend of mine.. Poured a very nice amber, even, medium carbonation with a solid finger head. Smells a lot like a pumpkin pie, and I picked up on the nutmeg almost immediately. Taste is heavy and crisp, leaves a spicy warm feeling on the tongue, brown sugar at the end. Mouthfeel is full and creamy, VERY easy to drink, probably one of my favorites so far this early into my newly found hobby of beer.

I think I made out a little better on the trade.

Very nice head forms when this beer is poured. The hue is a nice reddish copper. The head remains for some time and leaves clear lines of retention. This is my first Pumpkin Beer. The smell is predominantly cinnamon and nutmeg with a slight hint of pumpkin and rye. Taste is all about lightly sweetened pumpkin pie. The dominant flavors are nutmeg and cinnamon, but the focus on those spices helps make this beer quite drinkable. The beer is a little light on the body. This beer needs to coat the tongue a little more considering it's a fall/winter beer. All in all, this is a good beer, and I enjoyed trying it, even though it is not my style. I still would recommend it to my friends.

3.26/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark amber with minimal head (ring around the side of the glass).

Understated pumpkin flavor and minimal beer flavor with little staying power. (You get some on the first drink and if you hold it in your mouth). Slight taste of alcohol and some carbonation for the mouth feel.

Can't imagine someone disliking it... but can't see someone having it as their first choice.

3.94/5  rDev 0%

Powerful pour, lingering off white head with heavy lacing and a deep auburn color.
The nutmeg and cinnamon are obviously present, as you would expect, in the aroma.
This is a very solid pumpkin beer, well balanced and loaded with what be some new form of alcohol, which I am going to coin "ninja alcohol"...I didn't even see it coming, just felt it after the beer was gone.
Had a creamy feel that tickled the roof of my mouth, I could probably have 2 of these at most, like any other spiced beer.

3.61/5  rDev -8.4%

12 oz bottle poured into my DFH pint glass (http://www.sudsgear.com/ProductImages/dogfish/DOGPT_dogfish-l.jpg).

Appearance - Pours a brown/amber with no head and minimal lacing that dies about halfway down.

Smell - Honestly, not the beer's best point, but nice smooth, minimal pumpkin, roasted malts come through. No hops noticeable.

Taste - Smooth, rich maltiness with a solid pumpkin afterglow. Again, no hops noticeable.

Mouthfeel - Honestly, the beer's best point (IMO), smooth and creamy with a coating that doesn't doesn't cloy, and doesn't dominate the palate.

Drinkability - Could easily down one or two, but it's a rich beer and after that I might want something a little more spicy/hoppy.

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery