Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Punkin AlePunkin Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,039 | Hads: 6,213
3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Aroma is of a light pumpkin spice smell, not subtle and not overpowering.
Appearance is an orangy/brown clear color with a thin white head that lasts to the last sip.
Taste is not in your face pumpkin, but a nice balance of spices, and pumpkin flavor that comes later in the sip. It does go down pretty smooth, as do most dogfish beers.
Overall, its pretty good... Pumpkin ales are mostly hit or miss, and this one is a thumbs up. It’s not as strong as a flavor as others I have tried, but it’s a good beer. It’s a bit overpriced at 9.99 for a 4 pack though.

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

I drank this beer last night at The Brazen Head in Brooklyn.

This is my first experience with a Pumpkin style ale.

The look of this beer reminded me of autumn leaves. The dark orange kind.
This beer produced a pumpkin pie-like aroma.
This beer tasted like a pumpkin pie.

In terms of drinkability, I only had a half pint, but I could definitely have another. Based on my positive experience with this beer, I will be drinking more Pumpkin Ale in the future.

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

This is my favorite of all of the pumpkin ales that i have tried. very nice orange, brown color, not much head and little lacing. The smell is great, tones of pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice are prevalent. Flavor wise, it could have more pumpkin but the spice is still very much present, nutmeg, cinnamon, even a bit of clove. light to medium bodied, i could drink a few of these and still be loving it. Quite a vast difference between this and say shipyard or blue moon - blah!

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%

This is a good sesonal beer with lots of spicy and pumpkin flavors.

Appearance - nice clear amber color.
Smell - strong pumpkin and spicy, very interesting.
Taste - strong pumkin, nice nice use of bittering hops. There is an aftertaste that I cant put my finger on, it is a little too stong/acidic for me.
Mouthfeel - clean taste, but the aftertaste mentioned lowers this beers abilty (for me) to be a session beer.
Drinkability - good solid beer, but I dont think I could throw more than two back at a time.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz Bottle at a beer tasting at Patman's in Windham, Maine.

The first dogfish head beer I have liked. I do not enjoy IPA's at all, but this beer may be one of the best fall seasonal I have had. Hits of the fall spices and nothing overpowering. Easy going down. Very nice amber color. Slite hints of hops, but overall flavoring was key.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a bottle into my Dogfish Head tulip glass. I let it sit for a minute to bring out the aromas and to get the nice dogfish emblem in the lacing on top of the beer.

A - Clear. Its a nice amber color that kinda looks like a glass of tea. Small lacing around the edge of the glass and a white lacing over top of most of the beer.

S - It smells like a dogfish beer. Maybe it's just me, but I think all dogfish beers have a similar scent. After taking a nice deep smell, I get whiffs of pumpkin (obviously) and some spices cinnamon or nutmeg (I know the taste, but I can't quite put my finger on it). Smells kinda like a pumpkin pie almost. It smells like fall and it smells delicious.

T - Very creamy beer. Definitely malt and pumpkin driven Once again there's still a lot of spice to it. Initially has a sweetness but then Finishes with a little spiciness. Very good.

M - Medium body. Not too much carbonation. Just right for the type.

O - Another excellent offering by Dogfish. This was definitely worth ordering online and having to cover the ridiculous cost of shipping. Hands down the best pumpkin beer I've ever tasted. Only downside (if you can call it that) is it's so good you really want to just keep drinking it instead of appropriately savoring the aromas and taste. Ultimately, worth a try. Cheers!

P.S. Dogfish, if by some absolute miracle you read this review... Please come back to Tennessee! We miss you. I met a couple other brew fans at our local Whole Foods where we were looking for some beer . we all 3 met in the beer aisle and reminisced of the days when it was always available. I'm sorry I took you for granted! haha. Cheers.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottled in 2010
A- White head with light lacing that tends to hang around. Orange/amber body. Looks good so far.

S- Strong sent of pumpkin, spices, and sugar. Very pleasant. I'm not too familiar with this style of beer but it seems like a winner so far.

T- The first thing that really hits me is the brown sugar. The brown sugar and malt taste is a good combination. The pumpkin is evident in the aftertaste and is rather enjoyable. I was hoping for a stronger spice taste but was still pleased with the final product.

M- smooth and creamy with a slight tingle.

D- This is what a seasonal beer should be. It matches the food of the season and is a relaxing drink. Only thing that could make it much better would be a more pronounced spice taste.

4.54/5  rDev +15.8%

On tap at California Kebab in San Diego, home of the best kebab's and craft brews on the West Coast!

Appearance - Auburn, cooperish light brown. Good clarity. Nice lace rings form around the glass, thick off-white head.

Aroma - pumpkin pie spice aroma with nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon. Smells of thanksgiving and autumn leaves.

Taste - Caramel sweetness up front, then spice flavors kick in with a faint pumpkin taste in background; more of a pumpkin pie flavor than actually pumpkin. Slightly on the sweet side, could use a little more bitterness to balance out.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, good carbonation, sits pretty light on the tongue. Makes for a very drinkable holiday spice beer.

Overall - This beer make me yearn for cold weather and great feasting.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz., 4 pack.
Has a dark orange tint to it, creamy head.

Smell has spices (nutmeg), brown sugar, and a hint of pumpkin

Taste brings a pumpkin taste with a side of sweet potato. Alcohol finish.

Feels a bit more carbonated..

I think that it's a good beer to drink, and will drink the 4 no problem, but not worth the money I would say.. I enjoy their other beers much more.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured clear amber-bronze with 2 fingers of off-white head. The head disappeared quickly with small amounts of lacing.

Aroma is somewhat sweet, if you can smell sweet, with nutmeg & cloves.

Enjoyed the taste. Pumpkin flavor comes through with medium hints of spices.

Carbonation was just the right level for me. No burps.

I finished the four pack in one sitting. I prefer Weyerbacher but this was still pretty good.

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

OK...if you're looking for pumpkin pie in a glass...go get a Southern Tier Pumpking. If you're looking for the flavors of cinnimon, brown sugar & nutmeg with some pumpkin hints, then this is your beer. Pours nice amber color and initial aromas are cinnimon and spice. Flavor is nutmeg with some brown sugar and slight pumpkin flavor. Very nice pumkin beer. I put this one at number 3 on my pumpkin beer list behind Southern Tiers Pumking and Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Burnt Caramel Brown

S: Spiced Pumpkin flesh, caramel, warm spices, some sweetness, and something that I couldn't quite put my finger on that was making my mouth salivate. Maybe my mouth was just becoming aroused!

T: That Pumpkin really comes through up front, nice malty flavoring, high hops. Spiced were not at all intrusive. Just right

M: Full bodied with mild carbonation

O: I can't say enough about this beer. As I've been going on quite a fall-seasonal beer tear, this has got to be the best thus far. The pumpkin is right in your face and not hidden by any spices, which is pretty common with pumkin ales i feel. Also, there is a nice balance of malt and hops here that makes it very pleasent to drink. I love this brew. I wish Dogfish wasn't down in Delaware, cause I'd be soliciting at their doorstep trying to get in and bathe in the kettle every day.

2.9/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

9/15/15 Poured from a 12oz bottle packaged on ?/?/15. No date given other than 2015 edition, but hopefully recently for the Fall season. I'm primarily judging this beer from comparison to other Pumpkin beers and from DFH's own description on the bottle, which follows:
"A full-bodied brown ale" NOT! It's a light-bodied, overly carbonated at that, pale-amber ale.
"Brewed with real pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon & nutmeg." Tastes like it too - MUDDY.
Why all three spices? There is a lot going on just with the malts, pumpkin and brown sugar...
The Look is brilliantly clear like all other mass produced crap. This is a specialty ale, why filter so?
Smell... I didn't care for it, but maybe it is suppose to smell that way.
I saved the worst for last - the label.. They've changed the look from the traditional, tried and true DFH classic (see this webs pic below) to a half naked nimph covered in ink... The marketing department just jumped the shark on this one!

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Im not much for Pumpkin anything I think its overhyped however I still try everything I can get my hands on. The lacing out of the bottle was minimal and the head was 1/4 in at the peak. It was light mouthfeel and the pumpkin and spices were secondary to the brown ale aspect which was nice. I wont buy again unless Im forced to buy anything pumpkin then its at the top of the list. (1st review)

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

I've heard alot about this Pumpkin beer and it didn't disappoint, nice body and perfect not over-whelming gingerbread/nutmeg flavor..easy drinking and smooth, it left me wanting a second...and third...another Dogfish beer to look forward too come fall.

3.62/5  rDev -7.7%

Beer pours a light copper and has a decent head which dissapates rather quickly. The smell is strong of malt, nutmeg, cinnamon and spices. The taste is of pumpkin pie with heavy nutmeg. This beer is a good beer for the season it is intended. I wouldn't say this would be a regular year round type of beer but it is one of the better Pumpkin Ales. The drinkability is fine and it pairs well with the Thanksgiving turkey.

3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

I was kind of disappointed in this seasonal brew from dogfish and I am beginning to think that most of their beers get more credit then they deserve because they all taste the same in just little ways. You can totally taste the alcohol in this one and even though the pumpkin taste is very good and very real it does not make up for how boring the rest of the brew is. I don't know if I just do not care for these pumpkin brews. I have had a minor handful of them, (not talking dogfish head) and still have one that i thoroughly enjoy. The only reason i come back to them is because i love pumpkin but have not yet found one that translates into beer. I would totally pass on this one, i think dogfish gets to much credit for beers that all taste the same in ways. Overpriced and not worth it.

3.87/5  rDev -1.3%

*I've done a review of this beer fresh, to my disappointment, so I thought I'd age a bottle for 6 months and see if that makes any difference. It was stored at a little warmer than optimal temp, around 60-65* Site requires me to select another "serving type"

Appearance: Poured into a nonic pint, yields a two finger, tan head that gradually fades into a thin cap. Has a pretty, burnt orange/sienna brown colour with minimal lacing.

Smell: Smell from the get go is much more promising than the fresh bottle. I smell more malts as well as a certain earthy spiciness similar to nutmeg mixed with noble or English hops, and a faint whiff of cinnamon and caramelized sweetness. I can actually detect the vaguely sweet pumpkin aroma now, which makes me a happy camper.

Taste: A fair amount less alcoholic and more flavourful than I remember, which is great. Spice flavours are more prominent, which is to say present, but subtle, which is okay. Definitely not a spice bomb - nothing cloying or overbearing. Still, it tastes like a vaguely spicy Boston Lager, not too much going on, but that's fine. It's not meant to be a legendary, epic beer as far as I am understood.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied ale, nice, soft carbonation. Nice and smooth. I wish it had a bit more body and character though.

Drinkability: Definitely more drinkable than the tiresomely alcoholic fresh version. If you ever buy a 4 pack, try one, see if it's too fresh, and store the rest for 6 months to a year before cracking them open again. Time definitely mellows out the alcohol and brings the subtle flavors to the stage.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

We live in Delaware, and we've been drinking Punkin Ale for a couple of years now. The bottle we opened tonight was from 2009.

A- Nice head that lasts. Orangey/amber color.

S- Pumpkins! Smells like the spices in pumpkin pie, which are cinnamon and nutmeg. It smells so good.

T- Light malty taste, pumpkin, spices. I was seriously thinking about putting just a smidge of pumpkin pie spice on the top.

M- Smooth and light.

D- I really enjoy this beer. It's a seasonal, but we have enough cases that we drink it year round. I'm used to drinking Imperial ales. which are very big, hight abv beers. To me, this is a nice, light change. It's great in the summer. I definitely can share a couple of these. This is the best pumpkin ale out there.

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Picked up a pack of this from a friends recommendation.

Every year I am a sucker for holiday beers. My local megamart usually carries the same generic pumpkin ale and like a sap i buy it every year. This year, the mart had punkin for me to try instead of the usual garbage.

What a breath of fresh air in the pumpkin beer department. Instead of getting blasted in the face with nutmeg, i had a nice balance of "punkin" flavor.

If i could still find this, i would buy more for the actually holiday.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Picked up a four pack from Berkeley Bowl to go with a meal of roasted veggies, a great way of kicking off the official start of my favorite season!

A: pours a clear orange-brown with about a centimeter of off-white foam. Definitely a lighter color than you'd expect from a brown ale, but hey it looks nice.

S: very complex - sweet, spicy, and fruity. Nutmeg and cinnamon smells are very prominent. Pumpkin smell is pretty light when the beer is cold, and you can smell the alcohol as well.

T: Starts off with a pleasant hop bite and then continues with spicy and sweet brown sugar flavors. Cinnamon and pumpkin flavors are most prominent at the end.

M: Maybe just a bit too much carbonation, but otherwise it's got a nice feel to it. Seemingly lighter at first and then when you taste the pumpkin meatiness at the end it feels a lot heavier.

O: A great beer for the season, couldn't think of a better way to celebrate the start of fall. This ale is definitely another example of DFH's creativity and ability to create high quality, complex beers. I haven't had many other pumpkin ales, but it's hard to try another one when this one is so good. Definitely check this out if you get the chance!

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Served in a 12 oz. brown, freshness dated, bottle.
Appearance: Pours a turbid, orangy-copper color with a thick, white head that slowly dissipates to one-half inch in a few minutes. Lacy patterns remain longingly on the glass.
Smell: Spices predominate. The cinnamon and nutmeg flavors mix with a fruity orange / pumpkin essence. As it warms, caramel and fruity overtones make their presence with the pumpkin coming in strongly at the end of the glass.
Taste: The hoppy bitterness and spices predominate over the maltiness and sweetness in a pleasant way. The pumpkin flavor comes at mid mouthfeel, finishing with the spiciness from the nutmeg and cinnamon. The finish is clean with subtle lingering hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Medium to light body for this 7% alc. by vol. ale.
Drinkability: Although I generally gravitate toward the German brews with their adherence to the restricted ingredients of malt, hops, water, and yeast, this is a pleasant, enjoyable ale typical for the creative brews produced by Dogfish Head.

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Ok, I need to start off up front on this one... I wish it smelled as good as it tastes, because it is oh so yummy and I wish I were smelling that yumminess.

Pours an orangey-brown, small head, and the sugars really stick here. The beer has a great sweet overtone that's just festive enough to be a good pumkin... and the cinnamon/nutmeg really comes through, maybe a little more than the pumkin does. I need to say again, it tastes oh so yummy if you like the pumkin-pie in a bottle feel that you get from pumkin ales.

Of course, the fact that it tries to be a badass while being a sweet lil' pumpkin only adds to the joy.

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

A: Crystal clear amber orange. Tiny head which quickly disperses leaving very little lacing.

S: Cinnamon, molasses, pumpkin pie with a subtle malt sweetness.

T: Spice up front with residual cinnamon bitterness that persists through the finish. Slight touch of alcohol covered well by spices.

M: Medium bodies; lighter than I would have suspected for this style of beer. A little thin for my taste.

D: Would be great with desert after dinner... maybe with rich vanilla icecream.

Overall, I was a little disappointed. I haven't had many pumpkin ales, but was hoping for something a little richer.

3.84/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I bought a case of Punkin for my Halloween guests. The night was pretty great. I took a kid around my neighborhood trick or treating came home to some barbecue and Punkin. I've had the beer before, but am typically not a big fan of pumpkin beers but decided to give them another try and I'm glad I did.

Poured a nice slightly hazy orange into my Sam Adam's glass with a nice white head which fairly quickly dissipated into the glass lacing somewhat.

Smells like cinnamon and brown sugar with small notes of allspice and cardamom. Truly a heavenly aroma.

Tastes good. Nice malty beer with fall flavors all over my tongue. Aftertaste is just a little bit thin and metallic.

Only mild carbonation.

Here's a seasonal I could drink year round.

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery