Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,989 | Reviews: 2,016
3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

Served in a 12 oz. brown, freshness dated, bottle.
Appearance: Pours a turbid, orangy-copper color with a thick, white head that slowly dissipates to one-half inch in a few minutes. Lacy patterns remain longingly on the glass.
Smell: Spices predominate. The cinnamon and nutmeg flavors mix with a fruity orange / pumpkin essence. As it warms, caramel and fruity overtones make their presence with the pumpkin coming in strongly at the end of the glass.
Taste: The hoppy bitterness and spices predominate over the maltiness and sweetness in a pleasant way. The pumpkin flavor comes at mid mouthfeel, finishing with the spiciness from the nutmeg and cinnamon. The finish is clean with subtle lingering hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Medium to light body for this 7% alc. by vol. ale.
Drinkability: Although I generally gravitate toward the German brews with their adherence to the restricted ingredients of malt, hops, water, and yeast, this is a pleasant, enjoyable ale typical for the creative brews produced by Dogfish Head.

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%

Ok, I need to start off up front on this one... I wish it smelled as good as it tastes, because it is oh so yummy and I wish I were smelling that yumminess.

Pours an orangey-brown, small head, and the sugars really stick here. The beer has a great sweet overtone that's just festive enough to be a good pumkin... and the cinnamon/nutmeg really comes through, maybe a little more than the pumkin does. I need to say again, it tastes oh so yummy if you like the pumkin-pie in a bottle feel that you get from pumkin ales.

Of course, the fact that it tries to be a badass while being a sweet lil' pumpkin only adds to the joy.

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%

I've heard alot about this Pumpkin beer and it didn't disappoint, nice body and perfect not over-whelming gingerbread/nutmeg flavor..easy drinking and smooth, it left me wanting a second...and third...another Dogfish beer to look forward too come fall.

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

A: Crystal clear amber orange. Tiny head which quickly disperses leaving very little lacing.

S: Cinnamon, molasses, pumpkin pie with a subtle malt sweetness.

T: Spice up front with residual cinnamon bitterness that persists through the finish. Slight touch of alcohol covered well by spices.

M: Medium bodies; lighter than I would have suspected for this style of beer. A little thin for my taste.

D: Would be great with desert after dinner... maybe with rich vanilla icecream.

Overall, I was a little disappointed. I haven't had many pumpkin ales, but was hoping for something a little richer.

3.84/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I bought a case of Punkin for my Halloween guests. The night was pretty great. I took a kid around my neighborhood trick or treating came home to some barbecue and Punkin. I've had the beer before, but am typically not a big fan of pumpkin beers but decided to give them another try and I'm glad I did.

Poured a nice slightly hazy orange into my Sam Adam's glass with a nice white head which fairly quickly dissipated into the glass lacing somewhat.

Smells like cinnamon and brown sugar with small notes of allspice and cardamom. Truly a heavenly aroma.

Tastes good. Nice malty beer with fall flavors all over my tongue. Aftertaste is just a little bit thin and metallic.

Only mild carbonation.

Here's a seasonal I could drink year round.

Good pumkin ale, spice and pumkin not over bearing. Good clean taste.

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a quickly dissapating head. The smell is pleasant, like walking into a bakery. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin all apparent in the nose. I am not a big fan of fruit beers but this is very good. The taste of the fruit does not overpower the fact that this is a beer. Finishes with a nice flavor on the tongue of cinnamon. Overall a good beer from this excellent brewery.

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a dark copper with a very thin head that quickly dissipates.

Smells of sweet malt and pumpkin spices. Almost like taking a wiff of pumpking pie.

Tastes of sweet malt and pumpkin right up front. The pumpkin spice flavors balance well with the hop flavor. Finishes with a nice bitterness and the essence of spices remains in the mouth. Carbonation is very present but kept in check.

One of the best pumkin ales I have tried. This one is right up there with Post Road. I would love to try both of them side by side sometime.

4.39/5  rDev +11.4%

Great Pumpkin ale. Not overbearingly pumpkin flavor which is what I love about it. You know it's there...but barely. Another winner from them!

The problem with this one is finding it. Many places only allow a certain amount.

The only critique I have is the head is not as full as I think it should be. Other than that a great beer.

4.24/5  rDev +7.6%

Had this at the end of October last year and really enjoyed it so, I bought a case of it this year.

Poured in a pint glass.

Appearance was a hazy orange/brown hue with nice white head and nice lacing.

The smell was awesome! First I noticed all the spices, nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar and then this nice pumpkin aroma.

Taste was just as good. The beer was really well balanced. A nice brown ale with all these great pumpkin and spices coming through but nothing over powering. Still can taste how good the brown ale really is.

Despite the high alcohol, still very drinkable.

Definitely one of my favorite fall beers.

4.48/5  rDev +13.7%

Had a little trouble finding this one on the West Coast. Finally got my hands on a couple four-packs and was very impressed by this beer. Poured into glass.
Appearance: Nice "pumpkin" orange coloring. Not too much carbonation. The head dissipated fairly quickly with no lacing left on the glass.
Smell: Your nose has to search for the multitude of flavors. Hints of cinnamon, clove, pumpkin pie, slight alcohol all mix very well. Smells like Fall!
Taste: Each one I drink I taste something that wasn't there before. Initial taste of alcohol and the signature hops are very light giving way to letting your tastebuds search for the flavors. The flavors of pumpkin, clove, and cinnamon mix so well you almost believe you're mistaken. Very subtle and not an overtly "pumpkin" beer like many others.
Mouthfeel: Crisp yet thick. Not very carbonated but very smooth and subtle around the middle to back of the tongue.
Drinkability: You simply can't have just one. Perfect for Fall or any season where good friends and family are around.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottled on 7/29/09. Served in a pint glass.

Poured a clear orange/copper color with a white one finger head that went away shortly after. Minimal lacing. Smelled of muted pumpkin pie spices and malts. Taste was the same, but more pronounced. Smooth mouthfeel with good carbonation. Very drinkable.

Nice experience with the first pumpkin ale I've ever had.

4.59/5  rDev +16.5%

A = Pours a dark amber. Cream-colored head, about two fingers.

S = Pumpkin and Cinnamon. Strong, but not overpowering.

T = I love the taste of this beer. Definitely my favorite pumpkin ale. It tastes just like a piece of homemade pumpkin bread. Pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, etc. The hops also shine through. It has a sweetness that I call a "thick sweetness."

M = About average. Heavier than most light beers, but not too thick.

D = I look forward to this beer all year. It is a fall classic. It's somewhat price ($10 for a 4-pack) but totally worth it.

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

Whole Foods, El Segundo, CA

a - orange brown, like a darker amber

s - sweet, subtle flowerness to it

t - subtle sweet, some pumpkin, I don't really tast the other spices they put on the label

m - not too dynamic, simple flavors.

d - not bad, but I don't have to come back to this one.

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

2013 brown bottle (12oz) served in a snifter. The beer is amber colored with a white head that thins down to a light layer. The aroma is delightful, lots of fall spices. The taste is totally autumn in a bottle, lots of pumpkin pie spice flavor all the way through. Lighter bodied and it goes down silky smooth. Very good example of the style.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle was from September 2012 because I wanted to see how this mamma would do with a little age on er.

Poured her into a ghandi bot snifter because thankfully, I do what I want.

Little head on it...nothing wrong with a wittle head eh!?

Appearance...well guys/gals it looks like a wonderful brown ale with a bunch of sediment floating around in it but seeing as this beer is almost a year old, i really dont care. Has that nice golden brown color like when you see a brunets hair for the first time?

Aroma is very nice. I get a bunch of brown sugar and maybe some cloves? idk it smells really good.

It tastes awesome man I mean the brown sugar is up front immediately followed by medium carbonation and ending with minimal bitterness. Her body is alright or I mean nothing to go crazy over. Tasting this beer in August makes me long for fall/winter to come.

Overall I would drink this beer fresh because, well, its fresh beer. It was OK aged and im not even sure if you are supposed to age this beer but do whatever you want really.

3.76/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 1 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very complex tasting Ale. First taste is like a burnt pumpkin seed, second taste is like a pumpkin ale meets a porter. Don't be turned off by the smell and first taste, this Ale seems to taste better with each sip. This is not your typical pumpkin ale.

3.4/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a dark amber/brown with no head at all.

Smell is powerful and spicy. Allspice and nutmeg are the the two dominant smells here. Pumpkin and a subtle brown sugar hide behind them.

My initial reaction was literally "Wow, this is different!" And different it is. Unlike other pumpkin beers I have tried this season, I can taste the beer in this one. First sensation is nutmeg, and the second is of a brown nut ale. It leaves a sweet taste on the tongue.

Crisp and biting. Drinkable and powerful. I think I could enjoy 1 to 2 of these before having to switch it up.

Overall, this is the best pumpkin beer I have tried this season.

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

Bought this in celebration of the fall and the coming October.

Forget Octoberfest (Sam Adams), this is what the ideal October beer tastes like.

Appearance is okay. It's a golden color and from the taste you would think it'd be a little darker.

Smell is outstanding. Smells like pumpkin pie coming out the oven.

Tastes refreshing, crisp, and tastes like a pumpkin beer should taste like. It has all the ingredients of a pumpkin pie and they are actually noticeable unlike Harvest Moon or other relatives of the sort. Not very overpowering or too dense either. Tastebuds never get tired of it.

Mouthfeel is well-rounded - not too dense and not too light. Nice crispy bubbles that are a delight.

Drinkability is surprisingly good for the amount of tastes that are contained inside. Also 7% ABV is hardly noticeable and keeps it nice and warm in your body. I could drink several of these in a night.

Overall, a great beer that's perfect for the fall seasons and holidays. A highly memorable beer. The only hindrance is price - 9.99 for a 4 pack.

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

A- Medium copper color, looks almost the same as an English mild I had recently. No lacing, suprising from a dogfish brew.

S- Fresh pumpkin, hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, slightly bready/alcohol aromas detected but quite in the back ground. Some hoppiness. Nice and malty but not as thick as others. Like a cool morning in autumn.

T- This beer tastes....wow. Finally a pumpkin brew that tastes like a beer. Pumpkin flavors are natural, nice maltiness, a more abundant hop profile than most other pumpkin brews. Flavor backgrounds are not "canned." The bitterness of both hops and malt become more apparent after two or three sips.

M- Nice carbonation, smooth elixer on the palate. NOT a heavy sweet pumpkin pop drenched in allspice. Other brews coat your tongue and wreck your face. This one is very nice.

D- Very drinkable. Dangerously close to being labeled a session beer. At 7% ABV, keep it a short session.

All in all, I think I speak for the majority of members of this site when I say thank the skies for Dogfish Head. Once again, they have taken a style, perfected it, and done so in an off-centered way. This brew is unlike most other pumpkin ales, yet it defines the class.

Punkin' Out.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A Poured copper with 1 1/2 inch head that faded quickly. Little tracing left on glass.

S Smells like you would expect a pumpkin beer to smell like...cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and allspice. This is the best part of the beer for me.

T This isn't as sweet as I thought, more spicy actually. I get a lot of nutmeg and allspice but not much cinnamon if any. DFH says brown sugar but I taste none. The malts come through very well. This is probably the least pumpkin of all the pumpkin beers out there but DFH really pulls it off well.

M Thin, very little carbonation. I like my pumpkin beers to feel a little thicker because they are a cooler weather beer for me but it isn't going to keep me from drinking it.

D I like this beer quite a bit and can have a few at night when the weather is cooler. The 7% doesn't scare me away from having a 4 pack in one sitting but I won't do that often.

4.29/5  rDev +8.9%

Dogfish Head has done it again. This is an exceptional pumpkin ale, probably one of the finest I've tasted.

When I opened the bottle, I was hit by a very pleasant pumpkin aroma with a slight spicyness.

The taste is wonderful. This beer has a fine balance of pumpkin, spice, hops and malt. The finish is clean.

Great seasonal beer.

3.47/5  rDev -11.9%

A quality brown ale that hints at molasses, spices (nutmeg!) and contains a suggestion of pumpkin (even pie [even cream!]). The pumpkin is mostly in the nose. I have to emphasize that these flavors are subtle- this beer wins points for not going too far in that direction. In a blind test, an amateur would not note the "punkin" flavor, I am sure. Though it's 7% ABV (not bad), you can taste a slight amount of heat. Here's to the heat, though, I've been taking cold showers all week and fall is fast approaching. Wouldn't mind sucking down a few of these on an autumn night with some friends.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Served out of the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Looks really nice in a glass, light brown/orange in color, tiny bubbles of carbonation streaming up the middle of the glass, overall a very pleasant looking beer.

S: For me i get a good deal of nutmeg, subtle cinnamon, pumpkin flesh and i do get the organic brown sugar as well, yummm!

T: Nice spice taste at the front with the nutmeg and brown sugar dominating, also getting a nice pumpkin flesh taste in the middle, overall a very nice tasting pumpkin ale.

M: Oily and coating, flavor is diffused throughout the entire mouth.

O: Probably my favorite pumpkin beers of the ones i've tried, i have had ST and it is truly and amazing brew. However, for me i prefer more of a pumpkin beer than a pumpkin pie beer and this one fits the bill perfectly. I believe DFH has found a balance in this brew that would appeal to everyone.

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Very transparant red amber color. Poured with very little head and lots of carbonation bubbles coming up from the bottom of my snifter glass.

S: Slight pumpkin, cinnamon smell. Smell was not very strong

T: Can definitely taste pumpkin in this beer. There isn't an overwhelming spice taste. Aftertaste has a lot of cinnamon to it, which comes out more as the beer gets warmer.

M: Can feel a lot of carbonation on the togue at first taste as well as some alcohol.

O: Really enjoyed the beer. I would recommend it over most average to good pumpkin beers. Definitely on the more alcoholic side of other beers of this style. This beer came on heavy recommendation and I was not disappointed.

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery