Punkin Ale | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale brewed with real pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon & nutmeg.

Added by NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

Reviews: 2,069 | Ratings: 6,395
2.31/5  rDev -40.9%

The pour into my Fuller's nonic raises a one finger creamy light tan head over a clear copper body. It looks thin. Lacing is sudsy but still somewhat substantial. The head falls slowly to a glass ring. The nose is all about the strong pumpkin pie spices: nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice. The pumpkin scent also comes through strongly, and I can easily pick out the brown sugar, too. There's also a dry toasty aroma that doesn't jive well with the rest of the nose. The taste is fairly dry, and dominated first by bitter toastiness, with the spices and pumpkin flavor in the background. The artertaste is fairly clean, too. There's nothing stand-out about this here. The body is medium, with sharp carbonation. I feel that a smoother and sweeter beer would be much better than this dry mess.

It pours a glistening clear orange amber. A finger of light tan head settles soon to a silky froth. Squiggles of lacing wiggle along the inside of the glass.

In the aroma, there comes a slightly sweet caramel malt earthiness, lightly toasted and crusty. Mild pumpkin and a combo of nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove swirls easily among a trace of alcohol.

Upon tasting, light berry fruitiness and toasted caramel bear a margin of sweetness before autumnal spices crisp up their surroundings with nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and clove ringing true. As the spice smooths to a tingly bitterness, a creamy note of pumpkin fills the palate. The finish is dry, roundly bitter, and gently lingering. This is one flavorful fall treat.

Light to medium bodied, it caresses and coats with a savory glow in tow.

While I am not the biggest pumpkin ale fan, this one wins me over. It's beer first, pumpkin and spice second, and overall just quite good. The ABV is notable only in the nose, so it's sneaky, but worth the minor peril. I'd say it's a Thanksgiving treat, but I want it again sooner than that.

4.62/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark amber color with a short lacey head that disapears quickly. The smell, who doesn't like the smell of punkin and allspice. Their is very little pumpkin flavour, but the subtleness is perfect. It has a light carbonation and not too watery.

I am not a fan of pumpkin beers, but I was really impressed by this one. The flavours are not over powering and meld together well.

A great beer, one I will get again.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured a rich golden amber color, with a one finger head that quickly faded. Slight lacing on glass.

Aroma of pumpkin pie and malt. Nice, pleasant armoma

Tastes of pumpkin pie with a hint of hops on the finish. You taste the spices more than anything else, since pumpkin itself has very little flavor anyway.

Nice mouthfeel, wasn't too carbonated. Not too thin.

Overall, its the best pumpkin beer I've tried so far.

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, well carbonated, clear orange punkin color, white 2 fingure head some lacing. smooth malt taste followed by a punking and spice combination, great balance, alcohol aftertaste. average mouthfeel, overall good drinkability. One of the better punkin ales I have had this year, no over the top spice or punkin flavor, great balance, a little heavy on the alcohol.

3.47/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Having tried this both on tap and bottle i must admit it is my least favorite pumpkin beer of the season. I know i know how can i say such a thing. This was always my favorite but after trying wyerbacher and smuttynose there is just no comparison. There is a small amount of spice smell and scents however nothing compared to the other two. Tastes more like a brown ale than anything else. I could definetly drink more of it than the other two but it is also a lot pricer which knocks it down a peg or two.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

From the first sniff, this reminded me of one of my favorite fall beverages, the Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie, but I do like pumpkin spices, and this has them all over. Cinnamon and nutmeg abound in the aroma, and again in the flavor.
Good finishing hop bitterness to counter the sweet malt and spices. Very nice effort from Dogfish Head.

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours an orangish amber with a very modest head that diddipates quickly. Smell is pretty amazing, strong spices; with a bit heavier pumpkin smeel it would smell like pumpkin pie. Taste reiterates what the smell implies, spice with faint pumpkin. Leaves a tingle in your mouth.

3.08/5  rDev -21.2%

The body of this beer was an orangish amber color with an off white head leaving decent lacing. No bubbles present in the body.
The aroma and taste of this beer was loaded with brown sugar, cinnimon, allspice and nutmeg. The pumpkin taste was extremely faint and hiding behind all the other tastes and aromas. The mouthfeel was sort of grainy, with bubbles present on the tounge. There was a slight alcohol feel to it also but rather slight. The finish was loaded with residual sugars that loaded the tounge down. The beer was alright but not really impressive.

3.42/5  rDev -12.5%

I have been craving a pumpkin ale lately, albeit I have never actually had 1 I enjoyed. This one poured a pumpkin orange color with a decent off-white head that went down to a fine foamy layer of head. Smells like artificial pumpkin and spice, not too bad actually. Taste is ok, it starts out with a nice spice and pumpkin and then changes to something I can only describe as wet dog. It just really doesnt do anything for me. Not really too special in my opinion. Mouthfeel is thin and dry. I can see some people liking this beer, but its not for me, think i'll steer clear of pumpkin ales till next year.

4.09/5  rDev +4.6%

A - this pumpkin ale pours a dark true pumpkin orange with TONS of carbonation moving very fast, with a thin orangey/tan head

S - true honest to goodness pumpkin pie filling aromas, pumpkiny with plenty of the spices to boot, nutmeg-cinnamon great aroma, if my eyes were closed i'd swear i had a slice of pumpkin pie in front of me

T - taste follows the aroma, the pumpkin pie with the spices infused, with the addition of a mild hop profile, a great blend of sweetness/spice/and hop bitterness

M&D - well balanced, great medium body and very smooth, a great representation of the season

there was a lot of talk about how this is a high quality pumpkin ale, while shipyards pumpkinhead was a bad one (Even a bad beer overall) but although i feel this DFH punkin' is better than Shipyard Pumpkinhead, they're close, i like both.

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into a pint. Color was slightly lighter than the bottle, with some head that lasted the entire drink. Didn't notice much in the aroma. Had a slight hint of spices, but nothing overwhelming. The flavor was subtle, a nice beer, not quite what I was expecting. Tasted almost roasted pumpkin in the beer. Nothing to blatant, but left plenty of flavor. Very pleasant to drink, coated the mouth nicely. Nice beer overall.

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Pours an amber color with orange hues. Forhy one finger white head dissipates leaving clusters of bubbly foam on the sides.
S: Pumpkin pie notes with spices in the background--nutmeg and cinnamon. Leafy hop notes can be detected once you work through the nutmeg and cinnamon.
T/M: Smooth and creamy across the palate. Pumpkin pie flavors with nutmeg and cinnamon jumping out. Sugary and sweet (malt) as you smack your lips. Slighly bitter in the aftertaste with a chalkyness to it. Moderate body.
D: High abv is consistent with all DFH brews, but is sufficiently masked. A good seasonl--I'd induldge next year.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a glowingly orangey-amber with a one finger bubbled head and chapagne like carbonation. This claims to be a brown ale? Hard to see. Aroma is rathery pumpkin-like, a bit of hops detected, not much in spice aromas...or maybe the nutmeg and allspice are simply making me think pumkin? Hard to tell. Taste wise its actually a bit pumpkiny, definitely hoppy, and more of a pale ale in style, with yes, a legitimate pumpkin flavor! Spices are subdued and acompany the hops in the finish if any. The 7% is not present in the flavor, which is rather thick. Mouthfeel is medium, and by the now the carbvonation has settled, so okay at this point. Drinabilitywise, It's the best pumpkin beer I've tasted yet by far, though a little less hops could make the pumpkin shine through a bit more, and some might crave more spices. Never knowing the 7% abv here is scary, and the label is the only way we'd know. My favorite brewery does not disapoint, but this beer doesn't make me want to make room for it in the stockpile. Nothing I'll buy in four packs, but I can see grabbing a single or two of this per season for variety.

3.31/5  rDev -15.3%

Nice golden color with a thick creamy head. Nose gives off lots of cinnamon, and rotten pumpkin. The taste is of a big amount of clove and nutmeg, with a metallic flavor, and just a tiny bit of pumpkin rounded out by malt and a citrus/spicy hop. A slightly heavy finish with an average mouthfeel.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Pours a gorgeous copper color with a finger of white head. Fairly dark coloring for this style.

The nose is sweet, with a delightful pumpkin/malt/spice sent. Everything a pumpkin ale should be.

The taste follows up on the promises of the scent. An early pumpkin flavor blends well with an overall note of spice and brown sugar, which is carried onto a midway of maltiness. The taste ends on a distinct alcohol note, perhaps a reminder of the 7 abv. of this ale.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, with low carbonation, and a very high drinkability. That said, this is a stronger ale than you might have imagined; certainly moreso than most of its fellow pumpkin ales.

Dogfish Head brewed up another winner with this ale. I would probably say that of all the pumpkin ales I've had, this one is my absolute favorite: just the right blend of sweetness and spice. If I had a slice of pumpkin pie with it, I think I'd be in heaven.

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

Bought in a four pack. A bit expensive but since I love Pumpkin Ales, well worth it. This was a pretty tough beer. Poured a beautiful dark orange amber colour. The head stuck around much longer than other Pumpkin Ales I've met but still not as long as I'd have liked. Spices (especially Nutmeg!) overpower any pumpkin flavor there is and the alcohol is very tasteable. Also sense somewhat of a toasty flavor in the finish. Very nice beer and is very hearty. 7.0% is a bit of a kicker too. Nice beer but only for the tough among us. I only got through about two before I needed something a tad lighter. Excellent effort by Dogfish but one word of advice (and this is according to MY taste, not everyone else's) turn it down just a tad. This could be very enjoyable on a snowy winter's eve.

4.24/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. I have yet to be impressed by a pumpkin ale; however, I am approaching this one with nothing but optimism.

A: Pours a pumpkin color (surprise). Light coppery orange, with very minimal head. Not much lacing evident, if any. Pretty, but I might have liked to see a bit more of a present head.

S: Smells like fresh pumpkin, biscuit, cinnamon, and cloves. Nice, mild, scent, with just a hint of the spices. Great for a light fall ale.

T: I'm still not the biggest fan of this style, but I definitely like this one. The pumpkin tastes roasty and sweet, mixing with the malt. Cinnamon a bit at the start, but mild. Cloves mixed throughout. Little tiny bit of citric character comes out with successive sips, but again, very subdued. Roasty malt and pumpkin are definitely the commanding flavors here. Just looked at the bottle again, and it's 7% ABV. They did one hell of a job masking it.

M: Thick, just shy of syrupy. Thick on the palate, too, but since the aftertaste is fleeting, it's not a cloying brew. Seems appropriate for the style.

D: This is the only pumpkin ale I've finished with the sense that I'd like another. That's pretty darn impressive to me, and a mark of how well-balanced and subtle the flavors are here. By far the best pumpkin ale I've ever had.

EDIT: I clarified some points of this review about 30 minutes after drinking, as the gravity of my actually enjoying a pumpkin ale really set in.

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

A 4pack of 12oz bottles. No date when packaged. It was an orange color with a thin white head. Nicely carbonated, some decent lacing. It had a sweet, spicy aroma, mostly nutmeg. Pretty sweet taste all the way through, and I thought a fairly sharp spice presence (? allspice). I found it to be a little thin in the mouth, and not a beer I would want a lot of.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

A: Pours a translucent golden brown with a thick one finger off-white head. Decent bubbly ring and good lacing.

S: Pumpkin, brown sugar, nutmeg, light crisp hops and toasted malt.

T: First taste is of alcohol with a nice pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon body and nice use of bittering hops.

M: Light with nice carbonation. Dry and slightly sweet finish.

D: To me this beer is like a Belgian style pumpkin brew, the alcohol comes through as sweet bourbon. A very nice balanced and nicely spiced beer but not my favorite for the style.

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 8/7/06

A: Pours a carmel hue with a modest foamy head. Moderate lacing.

S: Malty smell with roasted pumpkin and subtle spice aromas.

T: Sweet with flavors similar to the aroma. The finish is clean and the flavor quickly dies away.

M: The bottle calls this "full-bodied", I see it more on the medium-light side. Slightly watery and highly carbonated.

D: Probably the best pumpkin ale that I've had, but with that said, I'm not a huge fan of this beer. It seems that this is probably what it is supposed to be, but I'll probably pass on buying it again.

3.67/5  rDev -6.1%

Bottled 09/07/06

Pours deep copper in color with an off-white head that leaves a good amount of lacing on the side of the glass. Aroma is dominated by spice with a bit of pumpkin as well. Medium bodied mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Taste is much like the smell in that the spices immediately grab your attention. Overall, the heavy use of spice is a bit of a detraction for me but nonetheless it is a solid pumpkin ale.

4.23/5  rDev +8.2%

Beautiful dark gold-amber with a fairly thin ivory head. Lots of lace, too.

Big aroma, mostly of spice and pumpkin.

Complex aroma with lots of layers. Good balance between the sweetness and the hop bite. Lots of spice including clove, cinnamon, nutmeg; everything listed on the label!

Mouthfeel is slightly astringent from the spices (?) but good aftertaste of pumpkin.

I'd like to try this with the pie of the same name. Good sipping beer.

Those DFH guys can really brew some interesting beers.

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Yeeehaw I'm glad it's fall. I'm loving all the pumpkin ales on the shelves ... including this offering by DFH.

Pours like aged autumn sunshine complete with a creamy half inch of head. I like the nose, but it's almost one dimensional. Aside from the unsweetened pumpkin meat I can only smell a little cinnamon and that's about it. Taste is far more complex.The pumpkin is rich and sweet, followed by cinnamon and rumminess. Is that a hint of vanilla I detect, conjuring images of a whipped cream atop a slice of pie? Finish is very dry.
This is a damn good pumpkin ale. I'll be in a rush to buy more before it's history for another year!

4.07/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a beautiful bright copper with a very thin head into a pint glass. Smells slightly accented by the pumpking but highlighted by spices such as nutmeg and cinnamon combined with roasted nuts. Very nice.

The taste is driven again by the spices with the pumpkin as the backbone. Very good and heavy spices make it taste a bit more Christmasy and reminescent more of winter than fall but certainly no complaints. Nice and complex.

The mouthfeel is a nice balance between the mild sweetness, the tingle of the spices and a nice complement of bitterness.

Quite enjoyable and drinkable though i don't know if the spices and sweetness would wear on me after a few of these.

Yet another great craft from DFH.

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery