Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros

Poured into my pint glass this brew pours a copper orange with a slightly frothy tan head about 2.5 fingers thick.

S: The aroma has all the notes of the upcoming season. Cinnamon and pumpkin poke through the most. This brew really is a good blend of spices, with noting over powering.

T: The flavor is excellent. Of course the usual are present...pumpkin spice, cinnamon, a small amount of nutmeg. Together these flavor give this beer notes of ginger bread. mhmmhmmm.

MF/D: The mouthfeel is slightly heavier then medium, and drinkability is excellent.

Overall all, this beer tastes like America. It's got all the elements of the season, and brings back memories of my youth spent in the north. I love this brew, it really gets me excited for the season.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

2010 version. This is the cream of the crop seasonal brews out there for me.

A- an orangy amber body with a fantastic white head of foam that actually hangs around. There is extreme white lacing on the side and superb frosting like lacing on the side of the brew. Very Hall-o-weeny, if you will

S- Wow. A seasonal done right.... pumpkin scent- CHECK! Spices- CHECK! Cinnamin and sugar- CHECK! The yeast and malt is revealing as well. That definitely allows the brew to be a beer. The brew is absolutely spot on with characteristics of a pumpkin beer

T- JUST THE SAME AS I HOPED FOR! The taste is a spiced pumpkin brew. A combination of spices a pumpkin flavor theme is spot on. The brew is sweet as well full bodied with fantastic flavor. Very warming and tasty

M- full and creamy.... a lil extra carbonation

D- this is hands down the best seasonal brew I can ever think of on the spot. The brew is delicious and spot on with the seasonal aspects of the fall. I can drink these nonstop. Another winner from DFH.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

A: It has a very beautiful amber brown color, and it is crystal clear. The head pours on about 1 1/2 fingers and stays up pretty well. Lots of visible carbonation. Not much lacing on the glass. I give it a 5 because it has perfect color and clarity for a brown ale.

S: Doesn't smell remarkable even for an ale. There is no pumpkin or spice on the nose. I knew that dogfish head wanted a lightly spiced beer but I can't smell any pumpkin or spice at all. Tester number 2 didn't smell it either.

T: It tastes good for a brown ale, I will give it that. I taste no pumpkin or spice at all. I wouldn't recommend this to a person wanting to try something with a unique pumpkin or spice flavor.

M: It has an average mouthfeel. It's not remarkable at all.

D: The beer is definitely drinkable. It's a good beer but it feels like more could be done with it. If this were just labeled as a brown ale I would have never known it was pumpkin.

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

Dogfish Head Brewing Company--Dogfish Head Punkin Ale--2005 12 oz. Bottle. 7.00% ABV--24 IBU's. (4.25 / 5.0) Brown Ale--Pumpkin-- Mild lacy head. Clear bright thin amber color. Pumpkin nutmeg mild hop front. Crisp dry sweet fully fermented spicy mild pumpkin caramel spiced rich body. Tangy hot cinnamon nutmeg all-spice end. Tasty. Sampled 9/18/2005.

Dogfish Head Brewing Company--Punkin Ale--2007 12 oz. Bottle. 7.00% ABV--24 IBU's. (4.5 / 5.0) Fruit Ale--Pumpkin--Mild lace head. Clear thin bright Pumpkin amber color. Nutmeg spice mild hop front. Mild sweet tangy mild fruit cinnamon nutmeg all spice mellow caramel pumpkin body. Spicy mild hop tangy clean end. Sampled 8/25/2007.

Dogfish Head Brewing Company--Punkin Ale--A full-bodied brown ale brewed with real pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon & nutmeg. 2008 12 oz. Bottle. 7.00% ABV--24 IBU's. (4.0 / 5.0) Fruit Ale--Pumpkin--Minimal head. Clear thin bright pumpkin amber color. Cinnamon nutmeg allspice mild hop front. Dry sweet crisp mild tangy pumpkin caramel crystal malt rich spicy body. Mild hop dry crusty cinnamon nutmeg end. Rich crisp Pumpkin Ale. Sampled 9/20/2008. 4-Pack $9.69.

Dogfish Head Brewing Company--Punkin Ale--A full-bodied brown ale brewed with real pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon & nutmeg. 2009 12 oz. Bottle. 7.00% ABV--24 IBU's. (4.5 / 5.0) Fruit Ale--Pumpkin--No sediment. Thin lacy white head. Clear thin bright rich pumpkin all spice front. Tangy dry sweet fully fermented spicy rich pumpkin pale caramel malt body. Rich mild hot pumpkin pie spice mild hop zesty end. Big spicy balanced punk! Sampled 9/9/2009. 4-Pack $10.49.

Dogfish Head Brewing Company--Punkin Ale--A full-bodied brown ale brewed with real pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon & nutmeg.--2010--12 oz. Bottle. 7.00% ABV. 24 IBU's. (4.0 / 5.0) Brown Ale--Pumpkin. Rich lacy dense off white head. Clear dark bright amber color. Mild pumpkin hop cinnamon all spice nutmeg front. Dry brown sugar sweet cocoa hint roasted pumpkin spice body. Lingering hot pumpkin spice tangy tasty end. Sampled 8/20/2010. 3 @ $2.99 Each

4.28/5  rDev +8.6%

12oz bottled poured into a DFH pint glass

A: Orange/amber hue that surprisingly leaves little to no head. No lacing either. For reason I remembered that being different

S: Right off the bat you can definitely tell this is a pumpkin beer. A nice blend of pumpkin, nutmeg and brown sugar (just like the label suggests)

T: Very similar to the nose. Reminds me a nice cool pumpkin pie. What I think sets this beer apart from other pumpkins ales is the fact that it has a real pumpkin flavor opposed to the artificial flavor. A little sweet but doesn't become cloying

M: Light to medium bodied. Good carbonation that leaves a tingle on the tongue. Has a spicy aftertaste

D: One of my favorite pumpkin beers because of the real pumpkin flavor it has. Easy drinking; I have no problem putting away a 4 pack of this in one sitting

3.4/5  rDev -13.7%

12oz bottle dated 08/06/09. poured into a pint glass.

pours transparent orange with a thin cap of foamy, off white head. no real lacing to speak of, only a spot here and there.

smell is pumpkin with a bit of nutmeg or allspice. also has hints of carmel and a slightly astringent alcohol presence.

taste wise i get a lot of carmel malt and spice, but where's the pumpkin? has notes of brown sugar, nutmeg, slight herbal hop character and a tiny bit of bitterness in the finish. a little (very little) pumpkin seems to come out as it gets warmer, i could taste it for a second and then it was gone.

mouthfeel is the heavier side of medium, and prickly carbonation combined with the spices keep your tongue dancing.

very drinkable and a pretty good beer, but at a year old, the pumpkin flavor seems to have aged right out of this one. color me unimpressed. maybe i'll try again with a fresh batch this year.

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

This is God's gift to Pumpkin Ales! This is easily the most natural tasting pumpkin ale that I've ever had. A lot of other pumpkin ales that I've had reeked of artificial flavors, a quality that has turned me off of several of this style.

A- This has a very nice amber color, perfect for the style. Compete with a lasting white head, lacing the glass down to the last sip. Utterly superb.

S- This will give any freshly homemade pumpkin pie right out of the oven a run for its money. The smell is exactly what a pumpkin ale should smell like.

T- Pumpkin! Real pumpkin! Absolutely stellar! Considering the high alcohol content, the alcohol is very well hidden.

M- It's a little heavy, but easy to drink. With the high alcohol content, you really don't need to many of these to be in a good place.

This beer is absolutely worth trying! There will be a 4-pack of these in my fridge ever season!

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

2010 edition. It hasn't even been released here yet, this was a sample, so I wonder what the other reviewers from the last month or so were tasting. Samples from this year? Or last year's juice?

Brilliant copper color with fine white head that lingers and then quickly reforms with a swirl.
Tons of ripe spice and brown sugar aromas.

Fleshy with pie spice flavors and an oddly assertive hop presence with a lingering and somewhat bitter finish. I'm surprised by the review below because it was about the least sweet pumpkin ale I've had. My fellow taster remarked that it almost seemed light after the what she expected from the aromas. I agreed but liked it for this, especially considering the number of cloying bombs in the category.

If I had a concern, in fact, it would be that someone who wants a pumpkin ale will want more flesh and someone who wants a beer that tastes like this would be averse to ordering a pumpkin ale. I may feature it and make a big point of selling it on the virtue of it being particularly balanced.

2.95/5  rDev -25.1%

The beer looks appropriately amber with a thin head that dissipates to a thinner film. The liquid is fairly translucent and looks oddly like a thin honey amber.
Smells of brown sugar and cinnamon escape from the surface. Dont get any of the other likely spices. It's more sugary cinnamon like a cookie than pumpkin pie, which I do not enjoy as much.
The prevalent brown sugar makes it seem more India Brown like its cousin than Red or Amber like it is supposed to. This beer is just too over the top sweet, "standard Pumpkin" and a bit boozy for me to be impressed. (And I can say this because 2 of my favorite pumpkin beers, Weyerbacher Imp Pumpkin and Southern Tier Pumking are also high in ABV while not tasting like a thick sloopy mess). It's just not quite as pumpkiny as it should be, cinnamon and clove alone do not make it a pumpkin beer.
Overall this is more like cinnamon toast than pumpkin (or even pumpkin pie); this is far from the go-to for the style for me, and this is a style I have had a lot of.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Orangish amber color with a minimal head

S - Pumpkin galore! Spiced to the brim and you can smell it across the room.

T - Nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin. A lagerish taste on the end as it finishes sour and with the punkin throughout.

M - Light bodied, little carbonation. Mouth full of spice and a kick.

D - Started out good, but got harder to drink as I went, got through the bottle with just a bit of difficulty at the end.

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a mostly clear amber color with a minimal amount of head. Aroma is incredible - instantly I'm picking up pumpkin (obviously) but also huge waves of cinnamon and spices. It really smells incredible.

Flavor is very similar but the spices seem to overpower the pumpkin a bit (this could very likely be because I'm drinking a bottle that is at least 6 months old at this point, so I can't wait to try it super fresh this year!).

It feels almost like a champagne as you drink - super bubbly and lively and light bodied.

Really an interesting and tasty beer that I will certainly be drinking more of in the future. YUM!

3.23/5  rDev -18%

A - Orangish amber color with a small white bubble head that dissipated leaving the sides of the glass clean.

S - Pumpkin and nutmeg dominate, with a bit of cinnamon thrown in for good measure. There is a graininess to this and a bit of alcohol in there.

T - Get a decent amount of pumpkin pie taste on this one. Nutmeg and cinnamon and some nice pumpkin. A grainy, malty, lagerish taste on the end as it finishes sour and with a bit of alcohol. Not horrible.

M - Light bodied, moderate carbonation bite adds what seems to be a spicy kick.

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

A: The beer poured amber in color with just a few bubbles floating on the surface and a light amount of carbonation.
S: There's a moderate aroma of pumpkin, spices and sweetness in the aroma that comes very close to resembling pumpkin pie.
T: The taste has a good balance between sweetness and spices; the flavors of pumpkin, brown sugar and the spices really stand out.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and silky smooth.
D: The beer is very drinkable. I would definitely try this again because the taste is rather interesting and complex for the style.

4.65/5  rDev +18%

12 oz. bottle dated 7/22/09 poured into a snifter

A- A nice burnt orange color with a two finger white head.

S- Spicy pumpkin with hints of brown sugar. Reminds me of a good pumpkin bread.

T- The pumpkin and spice do stand out against a brown ale taste, but do not fight it.

S- Smooth and a little creamy.

D- I could drink this beer everyday and still want more. When it was first released in 2009 I bought up as much as I could and it did not last to 2010. I just happened to go into the beer store by my parents and found a case in there. Hopefully it last because it is easy to drink. Dogfish Head knows what they are doing with this beer.

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

2009 Vintage, on tap at Barley's Greenville - 5/20/2010.

Hazy golden orange in color. Smells wonderfully of brown sugar, nutmeg & cinnamon. Not much in the hops department, but that's not really expected. Flavor is caramelly, spicy and warming. Almost makes me wish it were fall already instead of late spring. Almost. Has an interesting souring finish. don't know if that is a product of a bit of age or not. Regardless, this is a very nice pumpkin ale, probably my second favorite behind ST Pumking. Happy to finally have this soon in SC.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Found a Punkin Ale from last year, July 2009 to be more precise. Almost a year old. Was a little hesitant at first, but it paid off.
Poured it into a Snifter glass.
Rich, mahogany colour, looks like "liquid wood" actually. Very pretty to look at.
I got alcohol at first on the nose, maybe cause it's not so "fresh", but after a while, PUMPKIN, very rich, very sweet aroma. Together with rich sugar cane (brown sugar?). Dare I say almost "whiskyish"?. Either way, very interesting.
Rich taste of brown sugar and pumpkin, and the alcohol is VERY present. At 7% I wasn't expecting it to be like this but, again, maybe it's because it's almost a year old.
Despite the 7% ABV, I would say this is highly drinkable.
Honestly, I didn't think this Pumpkin Ale was going to be this complex. I am very pleasantly surprised.
And, aparently, it ages well?

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

I'm aware that this punkin is about 9 months old (maybe 10), but I decided to review it because I actually like it better now than when it was fresh.

Punkin has a Clear, dull orange-colored body that is clear but has a few traces of sediment floating around.

Punkin Ale has the aroma that I expect of a pumpkin flavored ale; a blend of spices such as nutmeg and brown sugar, a touch of pumpkin and generally the same aroma as pumpkin Pie.

Nutmeg is such a strong flavored spice that I sometimes wonder if it is a good idea to brew with it. For me, it sometimes tends to be overwhelming. Punkin does a decent job with it however, the nutmeg flavor is pretty strong without being overwhelming or off-putting. It is still the strongest flavor in the beer though. Since this bottle is a few months old, I really wonder if the nutmeg has died down with a little bit of age. I swear the last bottle I tasted had entirely too much nutmeg flavor going on. After that I notice the other spices that Punkin was brewed with, including allspice, brown sugar and cinnamon. I would say out of that group, the brown sugar is most noticeable and the cinnamon is the least. After those there is just a touch of hops that adds some bitterness, and some biscuit-like malt sweetness. I swear I can taste a bit of pumpkin also, but there is a good chance that the combination of pumpkin pie spices and the fact that I expect pumpkin fools me into tasting it. Overall Punkin is a solid pumpkin flavored beer.

The body is fairly light, and the carbonation is moderate. Basically, there is nothing remarkable in a positive or negative way about punkin's mouthfeel. I'll call it solid.

Punkin is a solid pumpkin flavored beer, and when the season makes its way around again in a few months, I'll probably give it another try if I am in the mood for the style.

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Pours a hazy pale orange color with a 1 inch head that fades to a fizzy soda like cap. No lacing was present.

S - Smells of sweet bread dough, tangy fruits, and pumpkin pie spices.

T - Bitter/spice taste to start out with a malty aftertaste.

M - Decent carbonation gives a bubbly coating feeling in the mouth.

D - Solid niche beer. I am glad I tried this beer and I would probably get it again in the fall but it wasn't something I would drink a lot of. Definitely one of the best pumpkin ales though...

4.28/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that I purchased as a single for $2 at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills a few days ago into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. "Bottle on 07/29/09" stamped on the neck of the bottle.

A 3 inch creamy white head over a slightly cloudy but very pumpkin color body. Minimal bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass and some trace sediment floating about. 4.0

S Very nice soft pumpkin, spicy smell which is interesting and inviting. Also prominent is the allspice. 4.5

T Really quite good with strong levels of pumpkin, spices including allspice (I really like the smell/taste of allspice) and nutmeg. It reminds me of my favorite pumpkin beer, Southern Tier Pumking but it lacks the silky smoothness of the Pumking. This is a very good pumpkin beer in its own right, however. 4.5

M Feel is only slightly better than average and, as suggested, not the really great smoothness of the Pumking. 3.5

D Very good, especially for the ABV level that it carries. 4.0

Notes: I am very impressed with this skillfully crafted pumpkin beer and I think that you will be as well.

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into Red Wine glass (no snifter available)

A- Pours with very light orange, minimal head (.5cm), doesn't linger around too long though. Beer has a gorgeous color to it, glowing orange with slight opacity.

S- Wow. One of the most delicious and complex aromas I've had the pleasure of sticking my nose into. Smells like pumpkin pie on thanksgiving. Definite pumpkin smell, cinnamon and nutmeg become very clear upon a second pass. Very excited to taste.

T- Delicious. Taste matches the smell very closely. Tastes like mild pumpkin, slight cinnamon, and a surprising amount of nutmeg. Fantastic sweetness.

M- Incredibly smooth, almost a milky feel in the mouth

D- Very drinkable, the best pumpkin ale I've had. Definitely recommend picking up a four-pack!

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Review from notes on 9/30/09.

A - perfectly clear deep honey amber with a short lived head. Touch of lace. Good retaining cap. 4.0

S - rich caramel maltiness. Subtle yet balanced pumpkin pie spices. Hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, touch of pumpkin and alcohol spice. Very light metallic twang. 4.0

T - spices are very subtle yet complements the malty backbone well. light bittering hops but doesn't overwhelm the spices at all. Very well balanced and a nice sweet finish. 4.0

M - Medium bodied, well carbonated. Smooth, somewhat dry finish. 4.0

D - Highly drinkable. One of the best pumpkin beers. 4.5

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Deep copper, nice head, leaves fast though, lots of cling lace left behind.

S - Holiday spices, pumpkin and malt.

T - Taste follow smell, but it shored up by nice bittering in finish.

D - Very few Pumpkins I would rate a session. While nice, it is not my favorite style and might skew my rating.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

*I've done a review of this beer fresh, to my disappointment, so I thought I'd age a bottle for 6 months and see if that makes any difference. It was stored at a little warmer than optimal temp, around 60-65* Site requires me to select another "serving type"

Appearance: Poured into a nonic pint, yields a two finger, tan head that gradually fades into a thin cap. Has a pretty, burnt orange/sienna brown colour with minimal lacing.

Smell: Smell from the get go is much more promising than the fresh bottle. I smell more malts as well as a certain earthy spiciness similar to nutmeg mixed with noble or English hops, and a faint whiff of cinnamon and caramelized sweetness. I can actually detect the vaguely sweet pumpkin aroma now, which makes me a happy camper.

Taste: A fair amount less alcoholic and more flavourful than I remember, which is great. Spice flavours are more prominent, which is to say present, but subtle, which is okay. Definitely not a spice bomb - nothing cloying or overbearing. Still, it tastes like a vaguely spicy Boston Lager, not too much going on, but that's fine. It's not meant to be a legendary, epic beer as far as I am understood.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied ale, nice, soft carbonation. Nice and smooth. I wish it had a bit more body and character though.

Drinkability: Definitely more drinkable than the tiresomely alcoholic fresh version. If you ever buy a 4 pack, try one, see if it's too fresh, and store the rest for 6 months to a year before cracking them open again. Time definitely mellows out the alcohol and brings the subtle flavors to the stage.

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Bronze color with a quickly fading head. The color seems a slight hazy.

S - Pumpkin spices (nutmeg, slight ginger, allspice). I am also picking up some apple in the background.

T - Very nice! Just enough pumpkin and spice but still tastes like an ale and not a flavored beer. On the front end I get something like pumpkin pie without being sweet, and a dark or roasty malt flavor. On the back end I gather some mild hoppiness. I am also getting a warmth in the back of the throat and in the pit of my stomach. I can drink this, feel like a man and not and beer hating chick who ordered some mid nineties era fruit beer.

M - Medium bodied, slightly creamy texture, solid flavor (there is nothing thin about the flavor - no detection of any scintilla of watery character).

D - Gulping this one down too but in all fairness, since I've started drinking beer for the purpose of enjoying the flavor, I've noticed that I've been gulping nearly every beer I drink.

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

The bottle called this a brown ale with pumpkin spice (and some other shit)... I was expecting it to look like a brown ale based on this. Instead, this was a coppery amber color, perfectly clear, with some cream colored head at the top.

The smell and taste were among the better attempts at pumpkin ale that I've had the chance to try; but I've really only had one that was worth drinking... And I don't think this was anywhere near the caliber of that one.

The strong point of the beer for me was the mouthfeel. Everything else was 'meh'. Nothing special.

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery