Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -1%

Poured into a 16 oz pint glass

A- a nice light amber color with a ½ inch frothy head

S- brown sugar dominates

T-a sweet brew that has brown sugar in the forefront with a good balance of some spicy nutmeg and cinnamon that comes in the middle to end of beer. Also had a good caramel backing. Sort of disappointed it did not have a distinctive pumpkin taste to it. Still very flavorful though.

M- nice smooth almost velvety mouthfeel. Leaves your mouth very parched and dry from the sugar.

D- very drinkable brew in my opionion. Lots of malt and adjunct flavor but still a light to moderate bodied beer. Easily kill fourr of these in a sitting. So far most flavorful pumpkin ale to date. Still have to try southern tiers imperial pumpking.

ken2cart1, Sep 09, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

bottled 7/21/09

pours bright clear golden copper with a 1+ finger head that leaves no lacing

smells sweet with nutmeg and pumkin

taste is great - spices or alcohol is not overpowering like some pumkin beers - great balance

mouthfeel is nice and light and carbonated perfectly to give it a nice crisp finish

drinkability is also great - some pumkin beers are too boozy over spiced or water thin - dfh nailed this one

jsh420, Sep 09, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

It looks really good , very dark amber color to it. It might just be my nose, but I didn't really find too much aroma to it. It had a great taste, something did come across as maybe too much, and I think that was the nutmeg. Great mouthfeel, heavy enough to feel its character, but not to heavy, and very drinkable.

justincolts, Sep 08, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

New Review: 09/08/2008

Had a bottle of 2009 release. 7/21/09

Pours a dark amber with some copper highlights, off-white that settles rather quickly to a thin layer.

The aroma is absolutely delicious, brown sugar, pumpkin pie, and some spiciness, allspice and nutmeg really smell great. Nice caramel in back.

Great caramel/brown sugar sweetness up front with a pleasant dose of pumpkin pie spice. Some beers tend to over do it in the spice department but this one is perfect, just like a fresh slice of pumpkin pie, i think I can taste pie crust in there hehe. The beer finishes pretty crisp with a mild spicy bitterness.

I think that this years batch is superb and deserved another review. Delicious, could not put it down. Must get more.

Cheers

Previous Review: 09/06/2006

12 oz. brown bottle dated 8/18/06 with a white paper label and a orange/brown foil cap. Pours a clear brownish copper with a fizzy white head that settles pretty quick, not much lacing. The aroma of this beer is really great, like home made pumpkin pie, lots of nutmeg and cinnamon. Light bodied, moderate carbonation. A light malt sweetness up front, spicy dry middle, and a stinging alcohol finish. The alcohol content and flavor really overpower any real pumpkin flavor. This beer is a bit of a sipper and is quite warming. I wouldn't be able to drink a bunch of these but it does make for a good dessert beer.

Cheers!

SteveO1231, Sep 08, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, which allowed the deep rich amber/orange color shine through and sit below a 2 finger off white head. This also left very nice lacing throughout the glass

Smell - smelled just like the fall holidays. Cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar.

Taste - This is where it all comes together. Once after wafting in the aroma's of this brew, the taste matches up with how it smells. Very nice pairing and it just gets better as it warms up.

Mouthfeel - kind of medium, I would have to say. Nothing to complain about this one. I think the carbonation suits it well.

Drinkability - I could definitely knock a few back, that's for sure.

Genuine, Sep 08, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

(From Notes)

Tried in conjunction with Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale.

Pours a light orange with light retention and a thin head. The smell is similar to the usual pumpkin ale spices (cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg) and a bit of caramel malt. Alcohol is less prevalent in the taste, but this beer is MUCH smoother than most pumpkin ales I've had and much less sour. It possesses a slightly smoked taste that balances a light carbonation and noticeable hop character. Again, not an imperial ale due to the lack of maltiness and slight tartness and sweetness, but this beer is significantly more drinkable than Weyerbacher, Sam Adams, and other pumpkin ales.

I'm sure the fact that I had this on tap helped my cause a bit, too.

TLove, Sep 08, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

This comes out of the tap a clear, orange amber with not much head - but that may be a result of the way it was poured. Rich aroma is mainly of pumpkin and cinnamon with a malty undertone. Flavor is mostly pumpkin with a cinnamon undertone, but there is enough malt so you know this is beer. Texture is fairly smooth, fizzy and pleasing.

Cyberkedi, Sep 07, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

Another day another destructed pumpkin beer and and tastebuds feeling for mercy. Time to review DFH Punkin. I really enjoy most DFH beers and until now have not found one I didn't at least like somewhat. So that brings me to here, face to face with my mortal enemy, a pumpkin beer, but this being made by one of my favorite breweries. Poured it into my DFH oversized snifter cause the most important thing is to nose more of the spices... wait, just kidding!!

A: Brilliantly clear golden brown with some reddish color that leads a murky head that starts decent but fades to a sweing light froth on the top.

N: No way, is that... spiced pumpkin? Yep, it sure is. Lots of toastiness though and gives me a ST Pumpking flash back. Hopefully this one weighs up to the pumpkin pie beer of all. There's a slight sweetness but the more aromas I inhale the more spices, cinammon, nutmeg, perhaps allspice... oh yeah, it mentions all three spices right on the label, oh snap! It's also got some crisp lager/marzen aromas that give me the chills thinking about drinking this on a dark windy and cool October night.

T: Here goes nuthin, Taste starts pretty sweet like brown sugar, lots of pumpkin taste but not spiced pumpkin, the spices have been dulled down quite a bit, and the toastiness gives it a pumpkin pie taste. With the sweetness I'm almost getting the feeling of opening a can of pumpkin pie filling and just going to town on it with a spoon and snifter glass. Its got more of those clear and crisp well done lager/marzen refreshing tastes. Its also got some yeasty and fruity lager flavors.

M: Mouth is pretty smooth and slightly carbonated, could use more carbonation.

F: It gives me a little more sweet caramelized brown sugar and more pumpkin on the taste. It finishes pretty clean like a lager and the sweetness fades pretty quickly, but leaves a strange savory taste that makes my mouth smack on its own. A slight taosty and earthy charred flavors adds a slight interesting flavor.

Final thoughts: This beers is actaully a little surpising. The nose is really spiced, but the flavors has sweet brown sugar, pumpkin, very light on the spice, and not really and bad or off flavors. Good for DFH again!Its got great drinkability and very refreshing.

jlindros, Sep 07, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

appearance - orange copper.
smell - cinnamon, allspice. According to DFH, there's 'organic brown sugar'.
taste - ummm...there's the brown sugar. Spices are less evident than in the and well balanced. The 7% is nowhere to be found.
mouthfeel - Nice and creamy.
drinkability - Too easy to down this 7%'er.
Another fine DFH.

cindyjeffsmith, Sep 06, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Crystal clear amber orange. Tiny head which quickly disperses leaving very little lacing.

S: Cinnamon, molasses, pumpkin pie with a subtle malt sweetness.

T: Spice up front with residual cinnamon bitterness that persists through the finish. Slight touch of alcohol covered well by spices.

M: Medium bodies; lighter than I would have suspected for this style of beer. A little thin for my taste.

D: Would be great with desert after dinner... maybe with rich vanilla icecream.

Overall, I was a little disappointed. I haven't had many pumpkin ales, but was hoping for something a little richer.

wonderbread23, Sep 06, 2009

If you want a perfectly balanced Pumpkin Ale, this is it. Alot of others use too much spice and not enough pumpkin or too much pumpkin and barely any spice. This is an exceptionaly balanced flavored beer. Pours a reddish brown with a 2 finger head that dissipates quickly ( as expected for the stle of beer) Original smell is of pumpkin pie. mouthfeel is smooth, slightly clovy with a taste of Cinnamon, and finishes clean with more spices and Pumpkin coming through. This beer is even better if left at room temperature for a few minutes after taking out of the fridge. After drinking this i almost don't even want to try any of the other pumpkin ales, i will be buying a case of this every season!!!!

Lovinthebrew, Sep 06, 2009

Just decided to take a break from coding and have this as a little "snack".

Poured into a beer mug (Siedel) vigorously to produce a 1 finger tan head that quickly recedes to a rocky bubbly lace across the top of the mug. The beer itself is a shade much like a proper creme soda. Okay, I know it's not cold enough in Maryland yet to really justify this, but it IS September, so I'm digging in.

Smell is somewhat lacking when cold, a little bit of nutmeg and brown sugar coming through. I expect a better bouquet as it warms. Smell is more of spices reminiscent of a pumpkin pie as the beer warms. Pumpkin starts to shine through as the beer comes up to temperature, (I wish I had an IR thermometer on hand) it seems everyone has come to the party as my mug is beginning to empty.

This is spicier than other pumpkin beers that I've had in the past, in terms of it actually has a little bit of heat to it which I'm going to attribute to an abundance of cinnamon. You can pick out more of the spices as the beer warms, grasping the Siedel with both hands to warm it much like you would a liquor.

Mouthfeel on this is oily, as to be expected for the style.

The drinkability on this particular batch is quite good. I've not had Punkin before, but it's not overly sweet like some Pumpkin Ales I've had in the past.

xenolithic, Sep 06, 2009

My first ever Pumpkin Ale. Needless to say I am excited about trying this style for the first time. Fall is my favorite season and what could be better than a new style of seasonal to add to my repertoire.

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: An nice clear amber/surprisingly orange hue with a slightly off-white head that foams up nicely and then settles down.

S: Fairly mild considering I was expecting pumpkin pie in a bottle. Some nice hops make it through in the aroma as well as a distinct pumpkin smell. Also lingering in the end is some spices, in particular nutmeg.

T: Tastes like sweet pumpkin pretty much the whole way through. While not quite a bite of pumpkin pie, it does taste like the whole pumpkins they claim to use. It builds to some nice hop bitterness to balance out that sweet pumpkin flavor. The spices hit here towards the end as well. The alcohol is present but not in a bad way, more so toward the end as a slight sting.

M: A semi-thin to medium body, definitely not thick or anything, with a bitey and dry mouthfeel added to by the 7% alcohol.

D: While not a session beer by any means, it is also far from being a sipper. It has nice good balanced flavors (to me, I like some sweet). The only thing detracting is the alcohol bite. A very pleasant beer to enjoy.

Notes: While not being blown off my stool by this beer, I can easily say it is a very good brew. I like my first taste of this style and can say that I will be trying other Pumpkin Ales this fall.

dpodratsky3, Sep 06, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -1%

Poured a crystal clear, medium amber, so it looked sort of like a pumpkin. A moderate head that faded quickly to a collar. The aroma was not that strong. The taste was nutmeg and sweet. The feed was medium bodied, oily and mildly carbonated at the tip of the tongue. Drinkability was good.

kegger22, Sep 05, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

A - copper/topaz hued bod. w/ a modest inch high foam head from the initial pour.

S - smelss like autumn in a cup. i smell everything the label claims. nutmeg, allspice, pumpkin pie, and a tiny bit of cinnamon, on top of all that there is a nice brown sugar, and toasted caramel malt backing. some hops also make their presence known to the nose, and remind me of chai tea.

T - similar to the smell, very yeasty(like spice cake/loaf) lots of nutmeg/allspice/pumpkin pie flavor, there is also a nice coffee and chocolate thing going on, i will go ahead and call it a mocha taste. this pairs incredibly well with the spices from the mentioned ingredients and the spicy yet subtle hops. there is also a nutty flavor that reminds me of pecan pie. this is an insanley good tasting brew. it has all the making of autumn. never is it too sweet or too fillling.

MF - creamy, very much so. medium to full bodied(closer to med.) and a moderate level of carbonation.

D - good given the speciality of the style, now i want some pumpkin chocolate-chip bread, sugar cookies or carrot cake to pair with this amazing "liquid fall"

bonsreeb85, Sep 05, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -20.1%

Well, first off - full bodied brown ale? brown ale??? really?

Anyways, I love pumpkin ales, but the biggest problem I have with a lot of them is over spicing them. And I hate to say it, but this is very borderline to becoming over-spiced. It's nice, the color is great (aside from the brown ale thing), exceptionally clear, aroma is full of spice and some pumpkin, and the taste definitely has a lot of spice and not enough malty or pumpkin flavor.

My wife and I remembered trying this years ago and not liking it.... and that's hard for us to do. I recently brewed a batch of pumpkin brown, not realizing this was a "full-bodied brown ale brewed with real pumpkin", I stumbled on it tonight at the local bevy warehouse and thought I'd retry it.

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

Second verdict - so-so. :-/

MookDawg, Sep 05, 2009

poured from bottle into a pint glass:

A - copper orange with a thin head that continued to bubble to the top after the pour

S - nutmeg spice, and faint pumpkin.

T - pumpkin, more of the nutmeg, ginger? nice after taste smooth.

M - frothy feel with a nice after feel of pumpkin.

D - I like this don't think I would drink a lot, but if offered would not turn down.

Casey10, Sep 05, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Still a little early for pumpkin beer or at least I think but at couldn't resist. From the bottle to a pint glass, pours a hazy dark orange/burnt orange color. Has a one finger head that pretty quickly goes to just a small head that is barely there. Leaves some lacing down the glass. Smell is spices and pumpkin right up front. Pretty typical of the other pumpkin beers I've had. Taste is as I was expecting. Pumpkin and spices right up front, and it's followed by that familiar Dogfish Head taste. Really good taste. Has a 7% ABV which isn't high or anything but no alcohol is noticeable in the taste. Really easily drinkable. Of the few pumpkin ales I've had this is up there maybe as the best I've had yet. Overall great stuff, I'll be picking up some more of these and save them for more of a better autumn day.

dismal, Sep 05, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -12.9%

Had Southern Tier's Pumking ealier today on tap, and brought home a 4pk of DFH Punkin ale to do a comparison.

The pour gives you an orange/copper hued brew, with a small thin head. The head started as a half inch cap, but quickly reduced to a white ring around the glass. No lacing of note.

The nose is definitely more 'pumpkin forward' than the Southern Tier version, but I'm detecting a bit of fusel alcohol notes in the nose as well. The Southern Tier Pumking has a higher ABV, but has no fusel in the nose. I wouldn't say the fusels are 'off putting', but they are noticeable.

Whereas the S.T. Pumking tastes exactly like a pumpkin pie, the DFH version tastes more like eating canned pumpkin pie filling out of a can. It doesn't have the creamy smoothness of Pumking, or the malty character of the pie crust flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit below medium .. I wouldn't say 'thin' ... but not fully medium either. There is a bit of hop bitterness which comes through, which probably isn't great for the style. Drinkability is not high on this one; its a 'one and done' for me. I think if DFH had gone for a more malty profile, this might have come off better.

*For me*, this year's Punkin ale is a disapointment, mostly due to the fusel notes and the mouthfeel, and the lack of a strong malt backbone. Sorry Sam, I'll have to recommend Southern Tier's Pumking over your Punkin ale this year.

Na Zdravje!

cooncat, Sep 04, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +15%

Appearance- brown and nice appearance, very overall good look and moderate carbonation and head

smell- very nice nose of cinnamion, pumpkin, nutmeg, and loads of malt, very nice nose

Taste- Very malty beer for sure but it still does have a nice little kick of hops still which nicely add some balance to the beer, loads of what you got from the nose of cinnimion and sweet spice, nice smooth finish

Mouthfeel- moderate to heavy full bodied and smooth

Drinkability- Overall not a bad example of a fall seasonal, not something I really would drink alot or alot at once, but not a bad beer for sure, it has a nice balance i felt of very sugary and malty and sweet with having a little twinge of hops,

9/22/10 I Had to change my ratings on this beer its thru the roof in everyway this year. stunningly good best pumpkin beer out there by far

Stunner97, Sep 03, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

So I'm giving pumpkin ales another shot and this is the first one... I haven't tried one since I was an undergrad and long before I had any idea what I may have been looking for and I distinctly recall not liking them, but here goes personal advocacy at its best I guess. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a near perfect shiny copper color and comes with a one and one-half finger head that fades quickly to a pretty firm skim on the sruface and a thick ring around it; body is pretty clear and shows light carbonation bubbling up.

Smell: An interesting blend of a light hoppiness with a stronger presence of pumpkin pie spices such as nutmeg and cinammon - the cinammon smells almost "warm" - so far, the test is off to a pretty good start.

Taste: I'm actually digging this and I'm kind of relieved -- the ale taste is actually fairly mild, even a bit subdued but underneath the heavier spices is a well-made, just slightly hoppy and toasty malty drink, and on the surface are these wonderful and warming spices (especially that cinammon and nutmeg - I swear I'm even getting hints of a sugary sweet vanilla?).

Mouthfeel: Mouth is actually slightly creamy and fizzy from a carbonation that is mild but very present throughout the mouth - a pretty clean finish overall with just a moderate stickiness left on the back of the roof of the mouth.

Drinkability: I am really enjoying this beer - the flavors are nice and perfect for a cool evening that is starting to border on early fall. While I don't think I'd crave something like this year-round, it really is a great seasonal and the flavors are well-blended and don't remind me necessarily of eating a piece of pie, but really add a nice dimension to the beer.

bamadog, Sep 03, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

My all time favorite "sessionable" pumpkin ale. I generally divide these beers into two categories, dessert imperials and the more drinkable versions like this.

A - Pours light brown in color with a thick two finger light brown head that lingers.

S - Smells of pumpkin predominantly, but also of cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugary malt. Smells more like pumpkin pie than many others of this style I have had.

T - Pumpkin flavors follow the onslaught of spiciness from the first sip. A bit boozy in the aftertaste, especially as it warms. Nicely balanced and full of flavor.

M - This has a silky smooth feel and is medium bodied. Not overly carbonated, just right for me.

D - I consider this a real treat and usually have only one in a night to get myself started. Flavorful and to be savored, not drank in quantity.

This is a VERY good pumpkin ale and IMO one of the best out there. Spend the 8.99 and enjoy four of these on four separate nights. You'll come to enjoy it more each night.

BeerPhan86, Sep 03, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Man, 20 cases of these guys came in the door this morning, so one had to be popped.

pours an orange-amberish clear brew with a quarter inch head that remains as the pint progresses.

ummmm...smells like fall. some pumpkin smell mixed with nutmeg, cinnamon and gingerbread notes.

i usually think pumpkin beers are gross. maybe it's because dogfish actually uses real pumpkins in the mash. this one just so damn delicious. you really get the brown sugar in this years batch, but the spices balance it out and it doesn't get too sweet.

my one knock on this is that as it warms it can get a little boozy.
all in all - this one's up there with weyerbacher imperial as one of my favorites pumpkin ales. another job well done from the dudes over at dogfish.

paulieatworld, Sep 02, 2009

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my pint glass. 2009 edition

A-Lightly pumpkin colored with a finger of head and good lacing throughout the brew.

S- Smelled of cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin of course. Like the previous review read not much alcohol at first whiff.

T- Taste a lot like Raison D'être, both of which are brown ales with sugar. Some pumpkin on the tongue but not much like some of the other pumpkin ales. However still very good.

M-Medium bodied full of flavor and spices everywhere.

D- Excellent drinkability, not too much carbonation. These come in a 4 pack but I could have easily consumed twice that amount.

CAP1868, Sep 01, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

12 oz bottle - 2009 batch

A - Pours a clear, orange-tinged copper color with one finger of creamy, off-white head that dissipates pretty slowly, leaving decent lacing behind.

S - Pumpkin aromas mix with sweet and spicy cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg. Definitely reminiscent of pumpkin pie. Little to no alcohol on the nose.

T - Pretty similar to the aroma - pumpkin flavors melding with a nice spiciness that hints mostly at nutmeg and cinnamon with a touch of the brown sugar coming through. The alcohol content is slightly noticeable, but blends nicely with the flavors in this one. Some of the flavors remind me of a nice alcoholic cider.

M - Medium bodied with a rich, smooth feel. Moderate carbonation that suits the brew nicely.

D - An interesting and very tasty brew. Perfect for the start of fall and cooler weather. I will definitely revisit this one again.

GarrisWH, Sep 01, 2009