Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,963 | Reviews: 2,012
4.24/5  rDev +7.6%

Deep orange-amber, little head or lacing.

Rich spicy aroma with hint of caramel and strong malt.

Deep bitter-spice with a lingering biting hop flavor and malt backbone. A rich, full flavor.

Full-bodied mouthfeel yet smooth and refreshing.

Goes down smooth and easy - excellent drinkability.

Overall a very good, eclectic, and lively pumpkin ale. This is akin to a pumpkin IPA rather than a pumpkin pale ale. Excellent.

4.23/5  rDev +7.4%

Drank from a snifter.

A: Beautiful ruby red/orange color with a thin white head made of lots of tiny bubbles. Head retention is almost non-existant though. Some visible carbonation bubbles.

S: This smells exactly, and I mean EXACTLY like the perfect pumpkin pie with gram-cracker crust. All the good scents are present: pumpkin, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg.. gram-cracker :)

T: In the taste, I don't get much cinnamon or any other spices, but more pumpkin than anything. The beer does come off a little tart, but its a very minuscule tartness - not even puckering.

M: Light carbonation, finishes a little dry.

D: At 7% this isn't what most people would consider "session-able" but the beer hides the alcohol so well you could probably go through a few of these without realizing how strong they really are.

3.09/5  rDev -21.6%

A - A gorgeous pumpkin orange. Translucent. Big bright white head that's quite sticky.

S - Spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg. Pretty mellow and dumbed down.

T - Mostly just spices again. Cinnamon and nutmeg and a some pumpkin. Not real hoppy or bitter at all.

M - Too thick for the style. Finish is nowhere near dry.

D - Probably wouldn't get this again. The viscosity is a little much for this kind of beer. There are a few better pumpkin ales out there.

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Dogfhish Head Punkin Ale is the Gold Standard for pumpkin beer. The past fall I engaged in a 18 beer pumpkin beer tournament. Dogfish Head prevailed as the best. The pumpkin flavor is there but not overwhelming or artifical and the alcohol taste, while noted, is not too strong, especially considering the 7%. The beer is incredibly drinkable, complex, and full of autumnal feel and flavor. Two thumbs way up!

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

Solid fall beer from Dogfish, pours light and foamy, has a light golden brown color, tastes of pumpkin and spices, has a malty quality to it as well, has a strong finish, that stays around for a bit after the fact. The bottle says its a brown ale, and it does taste like a light brown, or maybe more of a red ale with spice and pumpkin flavor. It is well done, not overpowering, but not subtle either, I think they got it exactly right with the amount of flavor and balance. Well put together, enjoyable.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Pours a very nice copper color into my pint glass, with about one finger of head that has pretty good retention. Nice lacing.

S - Pumpkin, nutmeg, brown sugar, clove, caramel malts. A lot less intense than I was hoping for...

T - Really taste the cinnamon, and a little mesh of pumpkin, clove, and brown sugar. A nice caramel sweetness, and as it washes away the cinnamon still lingers of the palate.

M - Pretty smooth and creamy, a little over carbonated for my taste.

D - It's a good beer, I certainly enjoy drinking it, and could drink plenty of it, however it is not as exciting as I had hoped.

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

A - Amber in Color with a full, thick head on top of it. Makes this beer appear very tempting in the fall.
S - Take one whiff of this beer and all you can think about are those cool, breezy fall days. One of the better 'smelling' fall beers.
T - My beer was a little on the warmer side(couldnt wait any longer to crack one open) so it was very strong with Nutmeg flavor, Im betting if they chill a little more this will get more subtle. I suppose I will find out later tonight.
M - Very light on the mouthfeel, crisp taste.
D - This could be an addiction here. Im a huge Shipyard fan but this beer is right up there and actually gives me more of that fall/pumpkin feel than Shipyard.

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

poured into a duvel tulip. bottle found in back of fridge bottles on 9/10/09
A: pours amber orange, one finger head that fell slowly. laced a little
S: Pumpkin pie spices, and the childhood aroma of pumpkin carving.
T: not much pumpkin, very nice spice, nice malt character, light hops. brown sugar, nutmeg, and cloves.
M: creamy but light on the tongue
D: very drinkable, and for a bottle thats well over a year old the flavor holds up and may even be better. i will have to try a 2010 batch.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a very clear, orange red bodied color with a great off white head which leaves nice lacing. The color is glowing with orange and red hues. Huge huge pumpkin, nutmeg and spicy aroma. Really one of the better, more focused pumpkin beers. The flavor is completely balanced between all of the spices. Dry finish with a nutmeg finish. Graham cracker malts and a pungent yam, brown sugar and even marshmallow component. The complexity begs for a roasted pork dish and turkey legs. Mouthfeel is perfect. The weight of this beer is phenomenal. Really balanced carbonation with this brew. Drinkability lacks for me because it's such a specific flavor profile that really only falls into autumn months for me at least. Great brew, but not a year round kind of beer.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Had on tap at the WL in Independence OH. Poured into a DFH Punkin Ale Becker glass, it is a beautiful russet orange color with a full brilliant white head.

Even though WL notoriously serves it's beer too cold, this isn't. It had a nice pumpkin spice smell, with mild malt underneath.

Taste is a full, but not overpowering, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Clove, allspice, nutmeg and a hint of cinnamon are all present. Pumpkin flavor hits you a second time as you swallow and the aroma lingers in the mouth.

Very smooth, the mouthfeel on this is excellent. There's even a slight spice tingle as you swallow.

Highly drinkable, especially for a seasonal fruit/vegetable beer. I could definitely go for another, especially on tap. In fact, I've had this from the bottle before, and find it to be superior on tap.

Of all pumpkin beers, and I've tried a few, this is my favorite.

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

12oz bottle into standard pint glass.
Special thanks to nwfodder for this. Thanks Bro!
Bottle date 2010 11C

Popped the cap sounded like a freakin gunshot! Was worried it would be a gusher but all is good!

A- The hue of maple syrup pours into the glass, carbonation is abundant. Very thin egg shell head that doesn't last long at all. Lacing is pretty good.

S- Pumpkin and cinnamon, faint nutmeg, vanilla. Really big whiffs I get a bit of cola smell to it. It's a more subtle smells than I was expecting.

T- All spice and cinnamon. Brown sugar is almost muted. Pumpkin is there but not as much as expecting.

M- Creamy and smooth! This is an easy beer to savor.

D- I think this 4pk won't last me too long! Damn good beer, glad this could be my first ever pumpkin beer!

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Second foray into the wild wacky world of pumpkin beers. This one better than the last.

A - good. Head started at about 2" but recessed into a foamy film. Nice color. Coppery brown.

S - smells like a normal brown ale with nutmeg. A very remote hint of alcohol, but very remote.

T - decent enough. A little dry, a good tasting ale without the flavorings, but the added spice creates a more complex funtime experience. Taste a little alcohol, but much like the smell, it's a little remote.

M- bitter on the front of the tongue but finishes creamy and smooth. Medium carbonation

D - I like it, and fear that I will need more

3.67/5  rDev -6.9%

A - Pours a burnt amber color with no head to speak of...

S - Huge toasty biscuit with not much spice, a little hard to discern individual spices (I know it's on the label)

T - More of the same from the aroma, but I kept getting this impression of burnt... something... I can liken it only to an empty restaurant coffee pot that has yet to be cleaned. It has a firm bitterness that balances well with the sweet and mouthfeel, but also detracts from it's serial consumption score for me.

M - Full-bodied and balanced well by the carbonation that might have otherwise appeared a little high.

D - Overall, a decent beer, (again) well-balanced, but nothing of real excitement to bring me back for more.

4.42/5  rDev +12.2%

A-pours a dark clear amber with a thin amount of head that quickly disappears

S-pumpkin pie in a beer. Lots of pumpkin, cinnamon, malts, and a hint of alcohol

T-very similar to the smell. Pumpkin, malts, and a spicy finish.

M-medium body with moderate carbonation. Smooth and very creamy with an alcohol warming

D-very drinkable, the perfect amount of pumpkin and spice, and unlike lots of pumpkin beers is not watered down at all

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%

Picked up a 12oz bottle from Whole Foods in Cupertino, CA. Can't believe the halloween stores and pumpkin ales are already popping up...where did the summer go??? Poured into a pint glass to review. I believe I paid $1.99 for this brew.

Half inch white, pillowy head after a standard pour. Decent head retention and lacing. Good carbonation. Transparent copper in color.

The aroma is just about what I was expecting after reading the label; pumpkin pie, nutmeg, brown sugar, clove, toasted malts and cinnamon.

Taste is similar to the nose and is a great signal of the change of seasons.

Medium body with pleasant carbonation. Goes down very easily with a perfect mouthfeel.

A really nice fall seasonal that I'll be getting again for sure. I've tasted a few of these along the way and I'd say this one and Elysian's Pumpkin Ale have been the best I've tasted.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

This was my first pumpkin beer. I trusted the guys @ Dogfish to take care of me and they didn't let me down.

Didn't quite have the nose I expected. Was kind of hoping for the whole room to smell like a fresh baked pie, but like I said. Never had one before. Looked fair white head capping a rich just slightly hazy brown body. Tasted of everything you would expect. Nutmeg, cinnamon abound. I liked the biscuity characteristics the most. Just enough there to make you imagine a brown graham cracker crust. This beer reminds me of a pumpkin spiced FatTire. Overall very happy with this one. My lovely girlfriend also enjoyed two, herself.

4.34/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Golden orange. Not much of a head.
S: Smells like pumpkin pie and makes me ready for Thanksgiving.
T: Tastes like Thanksgiving dinner's dessert; a beer while eating pumpkin pie. Nutmeg taste comes through.
M & D: A sipper. Could drink like water but why would you? Makes me anxious for summer's end.

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

Fall beers in August!?!? Sacrilege. But I couldn't turn down the good beers for too long.

Appearance:
This is a decent brown ale looking brown ale. It's not as dark as I would have hoped for it to be. Likewise, this beer's head only lasted for about 3 seconds. As for consistency with it's style I'd say it's slightly better than average. The carbonation of this beer is also decent, nothing too special, ran a tad flat towards the end.
Smell:
This beer smells outstanding. When I was able to take a whiff of the beers head it gave me thanksgiving dinner nostalgia with nice spice notes and definite pumpkin. This has great aromatics and I'm so happy to not have to smell overwhelming citrus for another 8 months.
Taste:
This beer tastes like a brown ale with a nice balanced of spices and malt. I appreciate a brewery that can pull spices into a beer so they are noticeable but not overwhelming. I get all the brown ale flavor I want and a strong ABV to go along with it.
Mouthfeel:
The beer feels nice and dense like a spice cake muffin in my mouth. It has nice carbonation and a refreshing sweetness in the aftertaste.
Drinkability:
This beer deserves to come in a 4 pack (FOR ONCE). Although I enjoyed this beer a lot, I am satiated by one and wouldn't delve much past that. After dinner this would be perfect.

Good Beer. Cheers.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Pours a nice translucent amber color, very nice coloring with a thin head which leaves a ring around the outside edge of the glass, but also a thin circled in the middle.

S: The majority of the smell comprises of mild spices and bit of pumpkin. There's also a little bit of nuttiness that resembles a traditional brown ale.

T: Tastes just like a pumpkin spice muffin. The pumpkin is definitely present as are the spices, specifically the brown sugar and nutmeg. Overall, the tastes compliment each other very well.

M: A nice full-bodied ale with the right amount of carbonation, which leaves a pleasant but mild aftertaste on the tongue.

D: Quite drinkable as I've come to expect from other Dogfish offerings. I'd definitely have another.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Poured a nice deep dark amber colour with a foamy thick 2 finger head that slowly faded away leaving some solid lacing.

S - Very faint on the spices (nutmeg and allspice). Atleast I can pick up on them, but would like more.

T - Much like the smell, faint spices and a bit of malt. At the very, very end there is a faint touch of liquid pumpkin

M - Light carbonation and creamy.

D - Solid pumpkin ale. So much better than Harvest Ale, and unlike shipayard this actually had pumpkin. That all being said, I have had better pumpkin ales I just need to rediscover them.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

I've always been a fan of this beer, just was never a memeber of this site to rate it. So, here we go!

Pours an pretty orange copper color with a good amount of offwhite head with good retention. Laces very well on the glass.

Smell is of nutmeg, cloves, and various other harvest season spices. Sense some orange peel and some slight hops in there as well.

The taste is spicy and sweet. The spices use blend together extremely well to give you a very fall warmth feeling. Warmth surely coming from the seasonal boozy factor. It feels like fall when you're drinking this beer. I'd definitely advise to drink it on a crisp cool night.

Mouthfeel is fantastic. It's warming, it's boozy, it's medium bodied and doesn't have an annoying linger.

Drinkability? I can very easily sit down and make a 4 pack disappear.

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

We live in Delaware, and we've been drinking Punkin Ale for a couple of years now. The bottle we opened tonight was from 2009.

A- Nice head that lasts. Orangey/amber color.

S- Pumpkins! Smells like the spices in pumpkin pie, which are cinnamon and nutmeg. It smells so good.

T- Light malty taste, pumpkin, spices. I was seriously thinking about putting just a smidge of pumpkin pie spice on the top.

M- Smooth and light.

D- I really enjoy this beer. It's a seasonal, but we have enough cases that we drink it year round. I'm used to drinking Imperial ales. which are very big, hight abv beers. To me, this is a nice, light change. It's great in the summer. I definitely can share a couple of these. This is the best pumpkin ale out there.

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

Bottled in 2010
A- White head with light lacing that tends to hang around. Orange/amber body. Looks good so far.

S- Strong sent of pumpkin, spices, and sugar. Very pleasant. I'm not too familiar with this style of beer but it seems like a winner so far.

T- The first thing that really hits me is the brown sugar. The brown sugar and malt taste is a good combination. The pumpkin is evident in the aftertaste and is rather enjoyable. I was hoping for a stronger spice taste but was still pleased with the final product.

M- smooth and creamy with a slight tingle.

D- This is what a seasonal beer should be. It matches the food of the season and is a relaxing drink. Only thing that could make it much better would be a more pronounced spice taste.

Poured into my pint glass this brew pours a copper orange with a slightly frothy tan head about 2.5 fingers thick.

S: The aroma has all the notes of the upcoming season. Cinnamon and pumpkin poke through the most. This brew really is a good blend of spices, with noting over powering.

T: The flavor is excellent. Of course the usual are present...pumpkin spice, cinnamon, a small amount of nutmeg. Together these flavor give this beer notes of ginger bread. mhmmhmmm.

MF/D: The mouthfeel is slightly heavier then medium, and drinkability is excellent.

Overall all, this beer tastes like America. It's got all the elements of the season, and brings back memories of my youth spent in the north. I love this brew, it really gets me excited for the season.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

2010 version. This is the cream of the crop seasonal brews out there for me.

A- an orangy amber body with a fantastic white head of foam that actually hangs around. There is extreme white lacing on the side and superb frosting like lacing on the side of the brew. Very Hall-o-weeny, if you will

S- Wow. A seasonal done right.... pumpkin scent- CHECK! Spices- CHECK! Cinnamin and sugar- CHECK! The yeast and malt is revealing as well. That definitely allows the brew to be a beer. The brew is absolutely spot on with characteristics of a pumpkin beer

T- JUST THE SAME AS I HOPED FOR! The taste is a spiced pumpkin brew. A combination of spices a pumpkin flavor theme is spot on. The brew is sweet as well full bodied with fantastic flavor. Very warming and tasty

M- full and creamy.... a lil extra carbonation

D- this is hands down the best seasonal brew I can ever think of on the spot. The brew is delicious and spot on with the seasonal aspects of the fall. I can drink these nonstop. Another winner from DFH.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery