Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Punkin AlePunkin Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,035 | Hads: 6,188
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a fairly dark amber color, with an off-white head which lingers along the surface and clings to the sides of the glass. Aromas of brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and roast. Fairly full bodied, with nuts, figs, brown sugar and baking spices. Would go nice with thanksgiving dinner. One of the better pumpkin ales I've had.

3.4/5  rDev -13%

poured a medium copper color with moderate white puffy head that fell to moderate ring. Left some clinginess to the sides of the glass. Smell is a mixture of spiciness and alcohol. Taste is very dissapointing because there seems to be more of the pumpkins spices (nutmeg, cinnamon) prrsent than actual pumpkin taste. Finish is also too dry for my liking with an odd taste present that seems almost like seltzer water?? The taste hides the 7% alcohol very well, but this was not what I was expecting.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Crystal clear brown with faint white head.

Like pumpkin pie with nutmeg and pumpkin predominating.

Malty and sweet with clove, pumpkin and nutmeg bursting forth on the palate. One of the better pumpkin ales around during the fall.

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass

A - Red-orange and clear with an off-white head and good retention.

S - Bottle mentions cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg as spice additions; all come through in the aroma without overpowering the bready malt. No yeast or hop aromas.

T - Spices are muted at first, but become more prominent as the beer warms. I would prefer a little less spice; the nutmeg really overtakes the taste near the end of the glass. I can taste the pumpkin, which doesn't happen all the time in pumpkin beers. Mild bready, biscuit malt flavor. Clean yeast flavor. Mild hop bitterness with a mild floral hop flavor.

M - Moderate carbonation and medium bodied. Finish is a little dry; I'd think a sweeter finish would help this beer taste a little more like pumpkin pie. Alcohol warmth is evident half way through the glass.

D - Good, but not great. I'd like a touch less spice, a little sweeter finish, and a little more malt flavor. Still, it's worth picking up during the fall of the year. I have a bottle left from the 4-pack, and I'll probably hang onto it until next year to see how it tastes.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a slight orange, slightly murky red, with an inch or so of off-white foam.

Smells like cinnamon, nutmeg, spices I can't put a name to ... and ... where's the pumpkin? Some breadiness to the aroma.

The flavor is mostly spices, and some sweet brown sugar-y, caramel-y malt, and ... maybe a splash of pumpkin. Hm. Well, I'm not a big fan of pumpkin beer, so maybe I should be happy that this doesn't wallop me over the head with a skillet full of pumpkin flavor. Decently creamy mouthfeel.

Palate wearying nontheless.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a dark amber/brown with no head at all.

Smell is powerful and spicy. Allspice and nutmeg are the the two dominant smells here. Pumpkin and a subtle brown sugar hide behind them.

My initial reaction was literally "Wow, this is different!" And different it is. Unlike other pumpkin beers I have tried this season, I can taste the beer in this one. First sensation is nutmeg, and the second is of a brown nut ale. It leaves a sweet taste on the tongue.

Crisp and biting. Drinkable and powerful. I think I could enjoy 1 to 2 of these before having to switch it up.

Overall, this is the best pumpkin beer I have tried this season.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pour- Looks like iced tea with a quick disappearing head. On the bottle it says it's a "Brown Ale"... not very brown in color.

Smell- Pumpkin pie spices, roasted malt, brown sugar.

Taste- very malty,and more pumpkin pie spice than actual pumpkin flavor. A wee bit much carbonation for my taste... I like it but I think this beer is way over hyped... honestly you can taste more pumpkin in Sam Adams Pumpkin Ale.

3.38/5  rDev -13.6%

I love pumpkin ales, and I have been impressed with the Dogfish Head I have had in the past (who's not?).

But this one, while a nice beer, comes up short in my book.

A four-pack went for $6.99. Remember, I am a guy who really doesn't like paying more than $7.99 for s six-pack (but I am learning).

My main comment: The pumpkin doesn't shine through. The spices are there first, and they leave the lasting impression.

Nice orange/brown color, suprisingly light head. It looks good in the glass.

It's comfortable enough, but maybe I was expecting more.

If I were to choose between bottle and tap (I have had both), I would go with tap.

3.38/5  rDev -13.6%

Very spicy aroma. Allspice hit right away then a touch of nutmeg. Some malty character, mostly crystal types. Not much in the way of pumpkin, just pie spice.

Orange, crystal clear. Small head and nice rising carbonation. Head dissapates quickly.

Tart and spicy. High hop bitterness. Is there really any pumpkin in here? No pumpkin flavor at all. Again, pie spice and some malt. The level of spice kind of blows everything else away.

Medium bodied with nice carbonation.

As a spice ale, pretty good.. As Pumpkin, doesn't do it for me.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a slightly murky brownish red color with almost no head and as a result no lacing.
S-Pumpkin spices...cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice with hints of brown sugar and bready malts. There was almost no perceptable pumpkin aroma, however.
T-Much like it smelled, although the afternotes were somewhat pleasant but still failed to wow me with some distinct pumpkin flavor.
M-Light to medium body with moderate carbonation.
D-This was a nice brew but fell a little short for this style for me. I love pumpkin so I was left wanting somewhat.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very excited to try this one. Poured out a copper, ruby-like color but didn't have anything special for a head on it. I must say that the color is quite impressive. Aroma is pretty much assumed in this style of beer. I thought it was nice and balanced but not a lot of depth to it. The thing I liked about the taste of this beer is that it actually had a pumpkin taste to it and not overloaded with spice. Granted, I love spiced beer, but it was nice to have a pumpkin ale and not have it focused on the spices. Very enjoyable beer and smooth for 7% abv. Glad I bought a 4 pack, but not my favorite pumpkin ale.

3.38/5  rDev -13.6%

A decent shot at a slightly rare style. Low filled bottle, and a copper color to the beer, despite the label saying it was a brown ale. Smells of spices, cinnamon and nutmeg mostly is what I get. Taste is not quite there, and there is a slight oxidized/vegetal/wet cardboard aftertaste. No hops that I can taste are present. Nice creamy mouthfeel, and very clean. A clean beer, but not something I'd search out again, especially at $2.59 a bottle.

3.38/5  rDev -13.6%

A- A nice clear orange color with very little head and some spotty lacing. The color is very pumpkin and autumn.

S- The nose is pretty weak. It reminds me of Theobroma. Its spicy and sweet.

T- More spice than pumpkin. Nutmeg and cinnamon dominate.

M- Smooth mouthfeel is helped by the smooth flavors and medium body. Somewhat drying.

D- Pretty drinkable. Nothing too overpowering. No strong booziness. Just a nice smooth fall sessionable beer.

No complaints but no major raves either.

3.37/5  rDev -13.8%

Brownish orange pour, not a lot of head, just enough to dust the top. Very spicy nose, nutmeg and all spice heavy.

Flavour starts out spicy as well, more of a cinnamon presence in the actual flavour, with a smooth malty underbody and pumpkin aspects present. Not overly aggressive in any of these dimensions.

Mouth: tingles in the right places, not overly thick. Drinkability, about normal for the style, 1 is usually enough.

The bottom line: a fairly standard take on the Fall Pumpkin beer. I don't mind it, but the spice combination used here isn't quite what I'm looking for.

3.37/5  rDev -13.8%

Light bodied with smooth finish that carries a hint of pumpkin. Not my favorite but not my least favorite either. I recommend it but not raving over it.

3.37/5  rDev -13.8%

I hate to give any DFH a rating below an A but this one mildly disappointed me. It looks good and smells great, but the flavor is far too spiced and not enough pumpkin...its their, don't get me wrong, just needs more. The spiceyness made it a little difficult to drink more than one in a sitting.

3.37/5  rDev -13.8%

Dark orange-amber in color, very clear. A light head

Strong pumpkin pie aromas as promised, such as cinnamon and nutmeg. Also present are some biscuit-like malt aromas. No discernable hop.

This is a very sweet beer although I now can detect some bitter hop in the swallow. This is a rich ale with a high carbonation--definitely chewy. Strangely lacking flavor (other than sweetness) in the mouth, but the aftertaste is quite complex with the spice and bitterness really coming through.

I'm having this beer in a flight of pumpkin ales (a New England specialty, it appears). I'm not a big fan of sugary beers, like scotch ale. That said, this might be an excellent dessert beer after a hearty meal because it is not sickly sweet. Perhaps a true specialty beer.

3.37/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz. bottle, chilled, served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear.. well... pumpkin orange color topped by a small beige head that dissipates rather quickly. No lacing.

Smell: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice smells are quite prominent. Light caramel malt in the background. A great autumnal smell.

Taste: Aforementioned spices, then a bit of sweetness, followed by bitterness. Most of the flavor is from the non-standard beer ingredients.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a flash in the pan taste, but there is a numbing sensation from the cinnamon and nutmeg. Chew on a cinnamon stick or a clove and you'll know what I mean.

Drinkability: This is kind of a weird beer, as are most pumpkin ales. Worth a try if you consider yourself a beer geek. I picked this up for an impromptu beer tasting for a group of friends. We all found it interesting, but I don't think anyone was overly impressed. I'm finding it hard to finish the bottle. This is definitely one to share.

3.37/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Pours a bright orange amber with nice 2 finger, off white head that leaves a decent amount of lacing along the sides of my glass.

S - Very bready malt mostly. A bit of nutmeg, cinnamon is present, and just an ever so faint smell of pumpkin. Honestly a bit of a disappointment in the nose.

T - What it may have lacked in the nose, it seems to make up a bit for it in the taste. A full taste for sure, lots of spice and brown sugar. Some notes of that cinnamon and nutmeg, a slight bit of bitterness from the pumpkin. It's a more subtle taste, but still pretty good.

M - Pretty smooth mouth, a bit sticky, somewhat of an unpleasant aftertaste, but it's pretty weak.

Overall - A decent pumpkin ale here. I've had much better, I've had much worse. I would have liked for the pumpkin to have been a little more pronounced here, it's almost too subtle.

3.37/5  rDev -13.8%

Served from a 12oz bottle in my SABL glass at between fridge and cellar temperature.

A - Crystal clear and crayola color orange-red with an audible, medium bubbled light-tan head. Retention is minimal, and lacing is almost non-existent.

S - Cinnamon dominates the nose, with nutmeg coming in second. Perhaps some ginger and allspice buried in there as well. A bit perfumey and slightly metallic. Hops are crisp, but fleeting and hard to pick out in the nose.

T - Sweet and malty -- it's easy to pick out the brown sugar up front. That's a nice touch. Tingly cinnamon in the middle with toasty, warming alcohol. Gets only slightly dry in the finish and never really lets any bitter hops through. Spicy cinnamon Tic-Tac and bread aftertaste. Missing the squashy tang of the pumpkin -- which would be hard to retain in a beer of this clarity.

M - Considering the cinnamon already provides a bit of tingle to the mouth, this could have benefited from a bit less carbonation. On the watery side going in, this one instantly puffs up in the mouth, becoming a bit more foamy than creamy. Swallow is slightly gassy.

D - This is a decent pumpkin ale, but not a masterpiece. If I'm going to go after a 7% beer, I want a more pronounced flavor profile that's better rounded. This one seems to be a bit jagged, much as many other DFH beers are, but also unbalanced. Would I have another after this one in my drinking session? Not likely... there are too many other better pumpkin ales out there.

3.37/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Overall a very nice beer. I would much more consider this a great harvest ale over a pumpkin. It has almost no pumpkin notes but a lot of nutmeg. I enjoyed it personally but the pumking by southern tier was definitely a better pumpkin.

It is definitely worth a try if you enjoy harvest beers, but if you are looking for a lot of pumpkin flavors then this may not be for you.

3.36/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a bottle into a very festive orange coppery color. I don't get much of a smell off of this one. Taste is immediately very autumn-refreshing. Sweetness with a good dose of the alcohol taste of the 7% coming through. The pumpkin flavor hits midway through the taste and not overpowering or chemically not many pumpkin beers. The pumpkin lingers with a bit of bitterness. It's good, not great.

3.36/5  rDev -14.1%

This pours an awesome orange color. It's clear with not much head at all. I get a mild spice aroma off this, with malt and maybe some pumpkin, sorry punkin', in the background. The flavor is definitely sweet with a nice toasted malt flavor carrying through to a spice finish. The spices seem more of a mouthfeel than an actual flavor, without any one spice dominating or even coming through at all. It finishes a little warming. Overall this is a decent pumpkin beer.

3.36/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance is on par with an amber ale, not much head retention and pretty much no lacing.

Smell, wow never quite smelled a beer like this before, its spices are overpowering, can for sure smell the pumpkin spices.

The pumkin taste is no where near as overwhelming at the smell, a pretty thin mouthfeel as well, didn't expect much though.

Only one or two of these a night for me, couldn't drink the bar closed on these.

3.36/5  rDev -14.1%

A - Its a copper color with a head the quickly dissapated.

S - There is some pumkin, and some spices, but they are in the background of some phenolics, and some strong czech sulfur aromas.

T - Some toasted malts are up front, which are followed but a punkin spice flavor melded with some roasted caramel. Its all blended well, but there is not one dominate flavor. Maybe it could age?

M - The mouthfeel is fantastic. It starts of with a little carbination on the fron t but smooths out in the middle and dry out nicely.

D - I wonder if can age, to bring the flavors together....That is what I am hoping.

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery