Punkin Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Punkin Ale Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

We live in Delaware, and we've been drinking Punkin Ale for a couple of years now. The bottle we opened tonight was from 2009.

A- Nice head that lasts. Orangey/amber color.

S- Pumpkins! Smells like the spices in pumpkin pie, which are cinnamon and nutmeg. It smells so good.

T- Light malty taste, pumpkin, spices. I was seriously thinking about putting just a smidge of pumpkin pie spice on the top.

M- Smooth and light.

D- I really enjoy this beer. It's a seasonal, but we have enough cases that we drink it year round. I'm used to drinking Imperial ales. which are very big, hight abv beers. To me, this is a nice, light change. It's great in the summer. I definitely can share a couple of these. This is the best pumpkin ale out there.

guess98224, Aug 24, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Served on tap into a nonic glass at the Winking Lizard

A- Pours a brownish orange color with a one finger fluffy head that left no lace

S- Citrus, ginger, cinnamon, and pumpkin in the aroma. Balances aroma, no scent was really overwhelming

T- Cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, ginger, and ctirus flavors all blended very well together

M- Medium body with lots of carbonation on the finish

O- A very drinkable pumpkin ale that has a lot of balance.

Hoptometrist, Oct 01, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 16oz pint glass.
A: Clear, burnt orange color, tin layer of creamy white head. Lots of carbonation. Not much lacing.
S: Sweet pumpkin pie with a spiciness to it.
T: Malty with a sweet and spicy finish. Very Enjoyable.
M: Very smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Nice medium to full body.

goalie33, Dec 09, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Generally I am not a great fan of the pumpkin spiced brews, but this one was really good. The color was a deep amber with a thick creamy head, the beer had little cloudiness. The smell was clearly spicy with the pumpkin pie smell. The taste - again spicy and hoppy - I think nutmeg was the leading flavor driver for this beer. It almost tasted rum-like at the hoppy finish. Drinkable as far as bold spice beers go.

doho95fu, Nov 12, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A: Deep amber coloring, finger of head that dissipated somewhat slowly and left some lacing. Carbonation apparent, solid looking brew.

S: Heavy cinnamon and spices on the nose, definitely whets the appetite.

T & M: Very heavy brew, first pumpkin ale that I've had that mixes the pumpkin sweetness with some bitterness. I suppose that is to be expected from Dogfish Head. Mouthfeel is solid, the spices leave a great aftertaste. Well balanced brew. Nicely done.

D: Definitely drinkable, can't wait until the weather turns colder in Texas so I can have this fine ale on the patio with the cool fall air blowing.

elniko, Sep 07, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

this is a good effort for a pumpkin beer. I had this beer 3 days after it was bottled. The color is a rich copper color with a weak head. the aroma is of nutmeg and definate pumpkin flavor. I have to say i liked this beer on the warmer side to enjoy all the flavor. a good pumpkin beer. mouth feel sweet but medium. drinkablity good.

NoahSYGG, Oct 13, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving type: bottle into Stella Artois glass

Appearance is a dark red with shades of orange. Ideally i'd like a pumpkin type ale to be more orange like but it's not so far off. The aroma was almost non-existent. Only hints of the spices but only after i took a really big whiff.

Taste was amazing. Typical pumpkin ale spices such as cinnamon and allspice with a hint of the rumminess from the brown sugar. Extremely drinkable but still held on to it's body. Very well balanced.

Overall i wish the aroma matched the flavor. It kinda put me off a little when i smelled nearly nothing and then tasted a plethora of flavors that all had their voice but melded together well. Would definitely buy it again.

SnowGoon99, Sep 21, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a tea color with a nice white head.

The smell is of baked pumpkin pie and nutmeg or maybe it is an allspice. Needless to say my mouth is watering.

On the first sip I am almost wondering if I received the correct beer. Very low key pumpkin beer. The spices are subtle but spicy in the finish and almost produce a boldness that I wasn't quite expecting.

There is a nice caramel/toasty note. The spices are great and this makes for a drinkable pumpkin ale. Very tasty indeed.

stewart124, Oct 06, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A- pours a semi-cloudy amber with a creamy white head that lasts well into the beer. Some visible carbonation.

S- a little subdued. Some spices and pumpkin mingle.

T- where the aroma is a little underwhelming, the flavor comes through. Big malt backbone holds up the pumpkin and spice. Doesn't taste like pumpkin pie, though.

M- a bit of fizziness detracts slightly from the otherwise nice mouthfeel.

O- an enjoyable fall ale with some unique flavors.

delta490, Sep 22, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Bruery tulip glass.

A: Poured a beautiful and clear copper color with a slightly off-white hue head. Had the appearance of being light and fluffy...hard to describe, but that's the feeling I got from the look.

S: Wow! Complex and robust! Tons of cinnamon and brown sugar off the bat with notes of pumpkin pie that gel together perfectly...amazing!

T: Not as flavorful as I had anticipated...a more delicate tasting brew. I pick up multiple Halloween like spices with a light malt body that makes this beer a great transition from summer to fall; not as much pumpkin as I had anticipated either.

M: Nice and light...and in my opinion, fits perfectly with the type of flavor profile represented by this beer.

D: Really easy to drink...slight bitter finish...but overall, a great September/October beer. I can even see myself enjoying over my Thanksgiving meal.

Overall: Really surprised and a great beer. Cheers!

OlieIPA, Sep 25, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Poured into a DFH signature glass, one inch head with moderate lacing the color is a really clear darkish amber.

S - Really strong spice, with sweet malt and pumpkin.

T - Bread, Pumpkin, spice, really strong malts and finishes really sweet.

M -Medium bodied with slightly high carbonation but incredibly smooth.

Ruger, Oct 14, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Bought this one for my girlfriend. She liked it but thought it was still too "beery" for her tastes.

Bottle into favorite jar

Nice dark coppery color with a bit of head. Smells like punkin pie. and tastes that way too. I usually hate flavored brews but this one is awesome. Buy a twelver and pass them around this Thanksgiving. Yum

baos, Oct 07, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Although I'm not a big Pumpkin beer drinker, I've probably had about a dozen or so and can certainly tell by now the difference between a good pumpkin beer and one that isn't.

I will start by saying that when it comes to rating beer, the most important factor to me boils down to one question. "Would I buy this beer again?".

Hands-down, no doubt, I would certainly buy Dogfish Head's Punkin again.

This beer is not too watered down. It has a great malty backbone to it. It is not too spiced-up. There is a great foundation of pumpkin flavor without being obnoxious. I could drink more than one in a sitting.

I think it is one notch below Southern Tier's PumpKing, but it remains highly respected in my choice of pumpkin beers.

Second most important factor rating beer: I would certainly recommend this beer to others.

GeckoPunk, Oct 07, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

On tap at Tony's in Warminster.

A-A clear deep amber with a thin white head. No real lacing to speak of.

S-Lots of cinnamon and nutmeg and a background of malt and hops.

T-Very tasty. Fall spices in the front (cinnamon and nutmeg primarily but also a hint of cloves) with a sweet maltiness underneath. Finishes with a moderate hop kick.

M-Clean and crisp with medium carbonation.

D-I am not really a fan of pumpkin ales but I really enjoyed two of these. This was the only good craft tap at the outside bar so I ordered this without much enthusiasm. I was happy to be wrong about this beer.

HV

sholland119, Nov 30, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle was from September 2012 because I wanted to see how this mamma would do with a little age on er.

Poured her into a ghandi bot snifter because thankfully, I do what I want.

Little head on it...nothing wrong with a wittle head eh!?

Appearance...well guys/gals it looks like a wonderful brown ale with a bunch of sediment floating around in it but seeing as this beer is almost a year old, i really dont care. Has that nice golden brown color like when you see a brunets hair for the first time?

Aroma is very nice. I get a bunch of brown sugar and maybe some cloves? idk it smells really good.

It tastes awesome man I mean the brown sugar is up front immediately followed by medium carbonation and ending with minimal bitterness. Her body is alright or I mean nothing to go crazy over. Tasting this beer in August makes me long for fall/winter to come.

Overall I would drink this beer fresh because, well, its fresh beer. It was OK aged and im not even sure if you are supposed to age this beer but do whatever you want really.

Beercheer31, Aug 17, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Review from notes on 9/30/09.

A - perfectly clear deep honey amber with a short lived head. Touch of lace. Good retaining cap. 4.0

S - rich caramel maltiness. Subtle yet balanced pumpkin pie spices. Hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, touch of pumpkin and alcohol spice. Very light metallic twang. 4.0

T - spices are very subtle yet complements the malty backbone well. light bittering hops but doesn't overwhelm the spices at all. Very well balanced and a nice sweet finish. 4.0

M - Medium bodied, well carbonated. Smooth, somewhat dry finish. 4.0

D - Highly drinkable. One of the best pumpkin beers. 4.5

DmanGTR, Apr 07, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance: Smallish head that dissipated quickly, moderate lacing. Gorgeous orange glow, though I thought is was supposed to be brown.

Smell: Like pumpkin pie, definitely get the allspice, cinnamon as well but not as much. Slightly sweet smell to and light molasses tone (brown sugar), as well as a nice actual pumpkin smell. The malt takes the back seat, and the hops come in slightly floral and herbal but very subtle.

Taste: Very similar to the smell, but not as complex or delicate. The allspice is more dominant, as well as the hops, jumping in with a nice bitterness to cut the sweetness. The after taste is dominated more by malt and some noticable peppery bread notes from the yeast. There is a huge amount of flavor in here, even by dogfish standards.

Mouthfeel: This brew has a very robust mouthfeel, it coats your mouth. The carbonation is pretty high as well, although not to much. Compliments the flavor very well

Overall: A fantastic pumpkin ale, the first one I can say that I truly enjoyed. There seems to be a tendancy for this style to consist of a run of the mill ale that is spiced like a pumpkin pie. You can tell this ale was built from the ground up to work as a pumpkin beer. My only complaint is that they call it a brown ale, and it is not brown, which threw me off at first. I wish I could get more than just the one four-pack, this is autumn in a glass.

Siriusfisherman, Oct 15, 2012

Cycle69, Oct 04, 2014
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle, in a pint glass. The color is a dark amber, with a film of white head. The smell is mostly cinnamon. The taste is mostly cinnamon, though the malt keeps the cinnamon from dominating, and keeps the balance enough to make this more than a mere novelty. Mouthfeel is average. Drinkability-wise, could have a few more, though would be too sweet after a long while.

Definitely the best pumpkin ale out there. Leave it to the mad geniuses at DFH to make a pumpkin ale that is only not a novelty, but is a damn good beer! Delicious, and absolutely one I'll have next year!

beergeek279, Dec 20, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Someone should send a bottle of this to Shipyard, so they understand what a "Punkin" Ale is supposed to taste like. It pours an orange tinted amber with a fading white head. Pumpkin, nutmeg, allspice, malt and alcohol fumes (in that order) make up the aroma. The malt body could use a bit more oomph, but it's far more substantial than that weak-ass Shipyard. Flavors of pumpkin pie come to mind - as it should. Pumpkin and cinnamon dominate, as allspice, sugar and nutmeg offer a nice supporting touch. A mild lime-like bitterness seems almost out of place, but after a few gulps, seems to fit in with the "Punkin" gang. Warming alcohol provides the expected punch when you smell and taste it.

BeerResearcher, Sep 30, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Light copper color, very brown ale-ish in color. Poured into a Shipyard pint glass. Head about 1-1.5 fingers, disappeared after about 1 min or slightly less. Slight lacing on the glass as well.

S- Not as 'pumpkin' as I thought, which is awesome. I'm not too much a fan of flavored beers and the fact that it's not overflowing with pumpkin smell, IMO, is good. Can definitely smell the background allspice and cinnamon though. Again, not overpowering, but there.

T- Unbelieveable. I've been looking for a pumpkin beer to call my own and I knew Dogfish wouldn't let me down. Slight malt, not typical in some browns. Pumpkin flavor that is just there. Not overpowering, not right up front, but a slight taste. Exactly how it smells. Let it sit on the tongue for a few seconds and immediately wanted more. Cinnamon and allspice are right on. Compliment the malts and pumpkin quite nicely. Hardly any hop taste, quite pleasant session beer.

M- Thin, but not too much. Not heavy like some browns I've had. Easily chug this beer!

O- Very nice session beer, well put together and made. Couldn't expect any better from Dogfish Head. I've finally found a Pumpkin beer worth buying. Cheers!

danielespen, Sep 12, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

A- dark murky brown, with a small off white head that dissipates quickly.

S- Absolutely yummy. Huge nose with a cornucopia of smells. You can pretty much pinpoint every ingredient on the front of the bottle. Awesome whiffs of brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Oddly enough the pumpkin is the most subtle aroma to me. Definite esters laid over everything.

T- Follows the aroma perfectly. Immidiate hits of alcohol and brown sugar followed by cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. So many spices you almost get lost in them, but the smooth caramel malt backbone guides it along. Slight hop bitterness in the middle. Finishes sweet and malty. The 7% is apparent but not pronounced, with the spiciness of the esters contributing nicely.

M- Medium carbonation that prickles a bit. smooth, creamy and a very textured mouthfeel.

D- Fantastic beer that leaves you wanting another and another and another...

sentomaster, Feb 08, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

This one went quick here in the Cleveland area. Thanks to fellow BA kolch for snagging some up for me when he visited the brewery a few weeks back!!

Now this is what I'm looking for in a pumpkin brew. Strong nutmeg and spice smell, a "gentle" thickness, and a unique pumpkin spice flavor. To many brews in this difficult to make style are either to watered down or have too much going on- DFH finds a nice balance. I wouldn't exaclty call it a session beer because of the strong spices and pumpkin, but it's easy enough to enjoy a few of these in one sitting. Perfect for an afternoon of football watching.

Cheers to you DFH!

Bones54, Oct 26, 2006

12oz bottle poured into a chalice

a: pours a light golden amber with a one-finger off-white head. slowly dissipates to a film.

s: cinnamon, fairly heavy nutmeg, a touch of allspice, and definitely brown sugar/alcohol. can already tell this will be pretty sweet.

t: a lot of cinnamon, some pumpkin, allspice and nutmeg, and a warming alcohol finish. brown sugar is also quite apparent. mouthfeel is quite smooth.

o: one of my favorites, though this is definitely heavier on the spices and lighter on the pumpkin flavors. if i can recall back, I think I like this years better than last.

RodneyFarva, Sep 09, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

The punkin comes in plain artistic label with a freshness date on the side. It pours a dark orange color, a little hazy, with lacing that follows the down the glass as you drink her. The aroma is very apparent when poured in the glass. Right away you smell a pumpkin pie. The cinnamon and nutmeg really jumped out with a brown sugar in the background. To me it was a complex beverage with a little hopiness with some esters going up my nose. The mouth is was pretty thin with a little carbonation. I would buy a six pack of this brew even though it comes from across the nation.

cswhitehorse, Oct 02, 2007