Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Ta Henket - Dogfish Head Brewery

Ta HenketTa Henket

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: lstokes on 12-20-2010

For this ambitious liquid time capsule, we used ingredients and traditions plucked from Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Ta Henket is brewed with an ancient form of wheat and loaves of hearth-baked bread, and it's flavored with chamomile, dom-palm fruit and Middle Eastern herbs. To ferment this earthy ancient ale, Sam and friends traveled to Cairo, set out baited petri dishes and captured a native Egyptian saccharomyces yeast strain.

Reviews by nickthegun12:
4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

wow this beer taste great

appearance is golden yellow with a weak and fading head

smells funky and infected!...just my style!...also a little bready, and banana and cloves, also a little sour

the taste is grade A!...bready, and finishes a little sweet....i could see, if this is in fact true to what Egyptians could have drank, me drinking this ale...definitely great drinkability to this beer....nothing screams out sour to me though...but i've also had some great sour beers in my life

the feel is thin and watery very true to a wheat style

overall i'm a big fan of this beer, and glad i dropped 12 bucks on this unique style of beer!

1.5/5  rDev -56.5%

4.09/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I like this beer--quite a bit, actually. But it's not your average beer.

I love the whole Ancient Ales line from Dogfish Head because I'm really interested in ancient cuisines.

This one is strange. it's thin and herbal. It's like an alcohol-infused carbonated tea with a turmeric-like spice suspended in it. It's not quite a beer which I like very much--but I also definitely knew what I was getting myself into when I picked up this bottle. I was expecting something a little chalky, a little herbal, and quite funky. I will remember it well but won't drink it more than once every couple of years I think.

1.5/5  rDev -56.5%

2.25/5  rDev -34.8%

Ta Henket opens with a bready, fruity nose, smelling of baking wheat bread, French baguettes, and buttered toast, along with a spicy fruit selection, reminiscent of raisin bread, peppered figs, and an earthy baking aroma that reminds me strangely of rosemary rotisserie chicken breast (which I intend not as negative criticism). Never having smelled Za'atar or Doum Fruit, I'm assuming this latter strange aroma comes from one of those ingredients. The chamomile does lend touches of sweetness, but is largely subsumed. Overall, the nose is certainly intriguing, containing aromas that I've never encountered in another beer, much less any mass-marketed beverage. I can't say it's exactly enticing or mouthwatering, but it certainly demands attention.

On the tongue, the beer is spicy and peppery, the buttered toast and rosemary rotisserie chicken breast (for lack of a better description) coming across strongly. I imagine this is what a strong chamomile and fresh-picked herbs tea would taste like if let sit in earthenware bowls for a while. Notes of hay and plant stems add more earthy flavors, and touches of rose petal and wildflower honey sweetness help offset the plant flavors. There's also a buttery, floury, banana peel tangy, funky flavor around the edges. The aftertaste is a continuation of the main flavors, most of them fading with relative quickness, but leaving the buttered toast and chamomile flavors on the tongue for a fairly long time. Mouthfeel is medium-light, and carbonation is medium-light to medium.

Overall, it's difficult to find a way to objectively rate this as a beer, since it bears very little resemblance to anything else on the market. The beverage is certainly palatable and delicious on some levels, and if not told this was a beer--if, say, I were in Egypt and told this was a locally-made and traditional alcoholic beverage--I would think it excellent. The buttered toast and chamomile flavors are a bit strong (and I admittedly am not a fan of chamomile tea), but there are enough funky sugar flavors to bring me back for another mouthful. Definitely worth trying, even if only for the experience.

4.16/5  rDev +20.6%

A: goldish amber, 1” thick off-white foam collar, quickly dissipates
S: smells like fresh grain, lightly roasted malts, herb, floral, and fruit, mushrooms and a little earthiness and mustiness.
T: Lightly toasted grain, interesting, hard to identify fruit flavors, chamomile tea, spice.
M: Medium wine or cider like body with a touch of beer and a sparkling wine or cider like carbonation.
O: This is a unique and fun beverage produced by a creative and ambitious project.

3.31/5  rDev -4.1%

This beer pours a very clear straw yellow color, with a thick, fluffy, off white head. The head is tinted slightly yellow. It fades very slowly, leaving a nice lace.

This beer has a sweet grainy aroma. I detect some spicy notes as well. I also get a slight bready aroma.

This beer is hard to pick apart. I taste grain, bread, sweet malt, all spice, and coriander.

This beer is light, and surprizingly ow in carbonation. It leaves a overly sweet aftertaste.

This beer might make a decent session beer, but it is a bit overly sweet.

Overall: This beer is ok. Its a bit too sweet for me.

4.03/5  rDev +16.8%

A: Clear, pale orange; much like a pilsner.

S: Sulfurous fruit, honey, and sharp yeast funk.

T: A wash of peppery, sulfurous fruit and chamomile gives way to a weak pilsner-like flavor.

M: Thin and crisp.

O: The taste is certainly better than the strange scent implies. An interesting experiment leaves me strangely drawn to wanting more despite not being too enamored; mildly repellant, oddly attractive.

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%

ST: 750ml poured into a snifter. No BOD or DBD.

A: Burnished gold/orange with a thin fizzy white head. The head disappears quickly leaving a thin island of white bubbles.

S: The fruity aroma from the Doum fruit ( I have never had a Doum fruit, so I am assuming this is the cause of the fruity aroma), is very noticeable followed by a slight hint of chamomile. Some crusty, slight burnt, bread is present.

T: A very interesting flavor; the bread mixes with slight sweetness from fruit followed by a spice from the chamomile. The finish is sweet with some crusty bread.

M: Light and a bit watery.

O: I cannot not help myself; I always tend to buy the "liquid time capsule" beers by Dogfish. I must admit: the interesting ingredients always grab me (thought most of the past beers end up sweet). Now that I have admitted my bias, I must also admit that this beer is not as successful as I wanted it to be.

The flavor is truly interesting. There is an exotic twist that is delivered mostly through the chamomile, though the fruit and special wheat do make a difference. The mouthfeel, however, was not as successful. It is fine that the beer had a light mouthfeel, but the watery nature to the finish distracts from the interesting flavor. Overall, this beer is worth trying, but it is not a "hoard" beer (a beer so good you buy as much of it as you can when you can). If they brewed it again, I would like to see a bit more heft in the body.

Ta Henket from Dogfish Head Brewery