Ta Henket - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: lstokes on 12-20-2010

For this ambitious liquid time capsule, we used ingredients and traditions plucked from Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Ratings: 734 | Reviews: 193

One of the most interesting beers I've ever had through and through. Being Middle Easter, this is right up my alley. 55 year old parents loved it too!
Chamomile, za'atar and doum fruit are perfectly intertwined into this awesome, (but a tad pricey), session ale.

4.4/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Dogfish Head Ta Henket

Appearance: light amber, medium-large pillowy head, and good lacing.

Smell: spices, spices, and a touch of fruit.

Taste: chamomile, many spices, and a faint fruit that I've never had before.

Mouthfeel: medium and fairly smooth.

Overall:
This is a unique brew. The flavors are plentiful and combine very well. This is something different, which is what Dogfish Head does best.

4.38/5  rDev +30%

Had a snifter pour off tap at the Rehoboth brew pub.

A - Cloudy clear, thin head that stays at the edge, very loose quick lacing, bright orange in color

S - Earthy grassy notes, creamy almost a hint of green onion?

T - Immediately I noticed how odd and complex this beer is. Lots of mild spices and earthy notes work very well together. Doesn't taste or feel like a beer at all. But, what is beer really? The middle is mildly sweet and creamy and it finishes clean and easy with little after taste.

M - Thin

O - Very complex. One of the most unique beers I've ever encountered as far as flavor. While it does have a lot of "new to me" flavors its fairly easy on the palate as they all work well together to a focused center. This could easily be a session beer. I'm hoping that this one eventually gets bottled.

4.37/5  rDev +29.7%

This my be the most bizarre brew I've ever tasted.
Poured in a DFH pint glass. Semi-clear golden color with copious amounts of carbonation and bubbles rising to the top. The smell is almost undiscribable. Aromas of fermented fruit, strange herbs, and perhaps chili peppers? The taste only somewhat reflects the smell. Extremely smooth, and at 4.5 ABV, very easy to drink. Strange, almost spoiled yeast taste that I have never encountered, but was pleasant to my Hefeweisen loving palate. I fully enjoyed it. There has been alot of bad reviews for this beer, but if one takes the time to disect each flavor, and takes into conscideration the effort in gathering of the ingredients, I think it can be a great drinking experience. DFH has done it again with the Ancient Brew series. Nice work Sam! Priced at $14.50 for a 750ml, it is inline with the other DFH special brews, which is steep, but the quality speaks for it self. This is the only DFH beer my wife has enjoyed. Prost!

4.33/5  rDev +28.5%

People yak about lawnmower beers. This would be my summer quaff.

Pillow head, very slight haze, SRM 3 at best. Less. Bubbles pillow in the glass.

Caramelized malt clings to the roof of the mouth with sweet fruit caressing the tongue. Fruit is a bit plum-like. No hops sensed. Malt and fruit/spice dominant. Light on the palate yet complex enough to keep you wondering.

4.28/5  rDev +27%

Pours a honey gold with a thin head into my glass. Label says Za'atar, Doum Fruit and Chamomile. I'm not familiar at all with the first two.

Fruity and spicy with hints of fig and plum. Similar to a saison? I can't differentiate at this point.

"Flowery" and full of fig and grape notes. Very gentle on the palate.

It's taboo to use the word smooth but that's the mouthfeel in my opinion. It also has what I would call a dry finish.

This beer may have been hard for me to describe due to the ingredients. However, it is solid and different from the usual examples of the style. They are constantly trying to out-do themselves with each new release. I like it.

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

wow this beer taste great

appearance is golden yellow with a weak and fading head

smells funky and infected!...just my style!...also a little bready, and banana and cloves, also a little sour

the taste is grade A!...bready, and finishes a little sweet....i could see, if this is in fact true to what Egyptians could have drank, me drinking this ale...definitely great drinkability to this beer....nothing screams out sour to me though...but i've also had some great sour beers in my life

the feel is thin and watery very true to a wheat style

overall i'm a big fan of this beer, and glad i dropped 12 bucks on this unique style of beer!

4.22/5  rDev +25.2%

750ml bottle poured into a DFH Chalice.

A - Pours a hazy orange-gold with a fizzy white head that settles to a wispy haze.
S - Sweet and fruit, with a bit of honey, wheat, floral chamomile, and just a touch of funk. Subdued, but still nice.
T - Wow, I like this a lot. Floral, fruity, and again a bit funky. Lightly toasted grains, wheat, an exotic fruit (the doum palm fruit I suppose, think fig-meets-plum), chamomile, and a very odd yeast flavor all come together to create a sessionable, unique brew.
M - Light and crisp, with a medium-thin body and sharp, spritzy carbonation. Love the low AVB, I call this an "Egyptian Berliner Weisse"!
O - Probably the best new Dogfish Head beer I've had in a while, I hope we see this again!

4.21/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Nose is a bit sour, herby, slightly sulferous. Pours out dark yellow with huge frothy white head. Head reduces to a foamy film.No lacing at all. Taste is surprizingly mild. No bitterness, unhopped. Bready with a hint of chamomile and somewhat figgy (doum fruit?). I can see the Pyramid builders having something very much like this, very nice.

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: A darker golden hue, decent head.
Smell: Crazy earthiness, a little dark fruit, herbs come through as well as chamomile.
Taste: Chamomile is strong, middle-eastern herbs and fruit make this taste like I'm actually in that part of the world.
Mouthfeel: Medium with a good amount of carb
Overall: I really enjoy this brew, very unique. Not everyone will dig it but I do!

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%

A- Poured into an oversized snifter. Starts with a fizzy white head with weak retention and no lacing. Beer is golden in color with some fine sediment in it

S- Some bitterness along with some biscuit and fruity sweetness

T- Wasn't wild about it at first, but it's growing on me. The flavors that are present aren't overwhelming but are just right in that they mesh really well. The pale malt flavor is the most prominent flavor followed by some fruity sweetness and spices. I'm sure the chamomile is contributing though it's not really enough to pick out

M- Light bodied with light carbonation

O- Like I said before, I wasn't impressed at first but it finished well for me. In the end it reminds me alot of a Scottish gruit beer. Baffles me that they released it in December vs the spring or summer as it would be great to drink in warm weather

Cheers

4.19/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a hefe glass, since this is a lighter beer. Don't look at me like that. You'd do the same thang, fool.

Appearance: Aggressive pour yields a dull gold beer with plenty of carbonation on sides of glass. The white, 2" head has very small bubbles.

Smell: Honey, lots of honey. And some flowers, very delicate. Chamomile-like.

Taste: More honey, very tasty, as well as some floral and herbal notes. There's also a sweet corn taste, like Kellogg's Corn Pops.

Mouthfeel: Quite watery, as expected.

Overall: A very fun drink, despite the price of the bomber. Sweet, light, corny/wheaty. This will never be a regular drink for anyone, but it's an intriguing "candy tasting " beer that will make you smile. I haven't tried the other 'historical' brews from Dogfish Head, but I'm betting that this is among the most approachable of the lot. Thumbs up!

4.19/5  rDev +24.3%

Poured From Pint Bottle into large glass.

A- Light amber with a slightly frothy, short lived, off white head dissipating into a fine lace.

S- Herbal and slightly spicy with a bit of fruitiness.

T- A bit grainy and unimpressive at first, then a bit fruity with a very slight "wild" beer sourness but certainly not too much, Finishing of with a very pleasant herbal after taste.

M- Rather bubbly, but in a crisp refreshing way. Not to thin nor to thick for the style.

O- I really enjoyed this beer. Definitely looking forward to having it again especially in the warmer months. I wasn't sure what to expect and I almost didn't get it because it is on the pricey side but upon seeing the Arabic seasonings my interest was peaked I am glad I went for it! Well done in my opinion.

4.17/5  rDev +23.7%

Another "Ancient Ale" for DFG. I do love these! Really fun to imagine Pharoah (or slave) ending a hot day building a pyramid with something akin to this.

A: Deep golden - similar to a blonde IMO. An aggressive pour brought 1.5 finger head that receded to nothing pretty quickly. No lace to speak of.

S: Faint, Slightly spicy, almost curry(???), grain. I'm wondering if the culture trap picked up some of a local bazaar along w/ the Sacc. Not offputting to my taste, but different. I like it, but can see where this could be bad for others.

T: After the highly exotic smell, the taste is a bit less so. I'm getting more of a hot day type of lager taste, a bit of grains, no hops at all. But as the beer warms, I'm getting a savory sauce type flavor that I heard others mention. Again, VERY different, but I like it. Something like this would go well in New Delhi.

M: watery & thin, but with almost a raw hotdog type of residue in the mouth towards the end, again not offputting, but noticeable.

O: i really enjoyed this one. Enjoyable today, but being a representation of an ancient recipe, I can picture sitting on the roof of my house and contemplating the progress of the Sphinx' construction.

Well done and enjoyable DFG!

4.16/5  rDev +23.4%

A: goldish amber, 1” thick off-white foam collar, quickly dissipates
S: smells like fresh grain, lightly roasted malts, herb, floral, and fruit, mushrooms and a little earthiness and mustiness.
T: Lightly toasted grain, interesting, hard to identify fruit flavors, chamomile tea, spice.
M: Medium wine or cider like body with a touch of beer and a sparkling wine or cider like carbonation.
O: This is a unique and fun beverage produced by a creative and ambitious project.

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a semi-cloudy golden-amber, with an average head of off-white bubbles. Lace almost non-existent.

Aroma is nice -- I get some spice, and plenty of yeasty bread. There's also a slight hint of fruit in the mix, too, though the bread dominates. Very good.

Taste echoes the nose -- very bready with a tinge of exotic fruit. This is an easy-to-drink brew, well-balanced and a little sweet, but still very much a beer, and an exceptional one at that. If this were bottled in regular 6-packs, I'd buy more! A superb beer, proving that the ancient Egyptians apparently knew what they were doing.

4.12/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance: Golden honey color with a light thin white head. Bright and bubbly clear body.

Smell:The aroma is almost like a Pilsner. Earthy grains and hops. Ripe fruits and citric flavors. Tangerine and lime. Herbs and Doum fruit.

Taste: Zesty citric flavor. Fruity and herbal. Lots of grain and yeast.

Mouthfeel:Thin and light with a lot of great balance. This is malty with only slight hop bitterness. Finishes dry crisp and clean. Very refreshing.

Overall: A very unique and enjoyable beer. Another unique exhibition by Dogfish.

4.12/5  rDev +22.3%

Had on-tap at the DFH brewpub in DE. Poured a clear golden yellow/orange color. Quickly receding head that was small to begin with, though a light ring of bubbles stayed around the glass throughout the session. There was a tiny bit of spotty lacing...overall the beer appeared "thin".

Had an aroma of wheat, bread, corn and sweetness. Wow. Really, really intriguing. The flavor from this beer is incredibly interesting. It is now one of my favorite DFH brews. Bready, earthy, grainy, spicy and sweet...this beer is complex and well-balanced. Doesn't taste like anything I've ever had before.

Light bodied with good carbonation. I picked up a bottle and I hope that this one sees distribution soon in PA!

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

appearance: Clear honey colored with a nice billowy slightly off white head on the pour that recedes to a wispy topping.
smell: earthy and interesting, certainly different.
taste: again earthy with a whole grain bread like finish. Very tasty, light, crisp beer.
mouthfeel: Pretty dense and carbonated.
overall: Really dug this. Knowing the history augments the brew. I love that DFH delves into these ancient ales. From the DFH site:
"Ta Henket is brewed with an ancient form of wheat and loaves of hearth-baked bread, and it's flavored with chamomile, dom-palm fruit and Middle Eastern herbs. To ferment this earthy ancient ale, Sam and friends traveled to Cairo, set out baited petri dishes and captured a native Egyptian saccharomyces yeast strain."
That is some cool shit.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

Nice clarity in this golden orange colored beer. A 1 finger frothy white head sits on top for a short time, dissapating to a thin and bubbly sheet. A small amount of fine bubbles of carbonation float upwards. Slightly vinous in the aroma with a bit of skunkweed and odd spices that I can't quite put my finger on. Possibly Za'atar and doum fruit? Couldn't honestly tell you, but it makes for an interesting nose. Hints of peppercorn and chili peppers are identifiable. Maybe oregano as well? Definitely some very herbal hop aromas. Chamomile has a soft influence. Definitely wheaty for the malt bill, rounding out a very interesting, complex and unique nose.

The palate follows the nose: interesting, and yet somewhat smoothly bland, at least through the middle of the palate. The front is greeted by a burst of juicy fruitiness that is lightly citrusy. Some spices swirl around that but they really hit their stride in the middle-back of the palate, reminding me again of peppercorn, chillies and oregano. That light citrus actually manages to be a weak backbone in combination with a small but balancing wheat malt. The back continues with the herbal hops and finishes spicy and juicy, yet dry and citrusy as well. The chamomile seems to have a smoothing-out effect that keeps a medium-high carbonation level in check. Despite all these unique and interesting flavors, there is an almost bland feeling, like nothing comes out and really hits you hard; its all very subtle. This is fine with me as I keep finding layers of complexity to it as I keep drinking. At 4.5% ABV, its easy to drink, but is much better when you take your time with it and get into the subtleties.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the uniqueness of this beer. It's not the best beer I've ever had, but its very interesting and fun to dissect as it is so subtley complex and unique. Some will say that its just another gimmick from DFH, but its still a cool concept regardless. I like their ancient ales series and I'm very glad they take the time to make sure that they're not another cookie cutter brewery. They owe their great success to that.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

A - Pours a clear golden color with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some good lace.

S - Aroma is a mix of chamomile and other floral elements, sesame and other spices, some light fruitiness, wheat, and some yeast.

T - Starts off with a mix of chamomile and other flavor flavors with some wheat and some spices alongside. Through the middle, sesame comes through with some yeast flavors and some fruity flavors. The finish is a mix of fruity flavors and floral flavors with some yeast, wheat, and a bit of spice.

M - Medium-light bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a dry, spicy, and lightly sweet finish.

D - Very drinkable. Lots of different and unique flavors mixed in, but the overall beer is nice and balanced and very sessionable.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

Never really had anything like this one. Quite delicious.

4.09/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I like this beer--quite a bit, actually. But it's not your average beer.

I love the whole Ancient Ales line from Dogfish Head because I'm really interested in ancient cuisines.

This one is strange. it's thin and herbal. It's like an alcohol-infused carbonated tea with a turmeric-like spice suspended in it. It's not quite a beer which I like very much--but I also definitely knew what I was getting myself into when I picked up this bottle. I was expecting something a little chalky, a little herbal, and quite funky. I will remember it well but won't drink it more than once every couple of years I think.

4.09/5  rDev +21.4%

Poured into a weizen glass. I'm never sure what glasswear to use for DFH.

3.5 A: Subtly hazed dark yellow, light orange color. One and a half fingers of pillowy white head. Retention is average (I guess, not sure what it's supposed to be) and a small ring of lacing is left.

4.5 S: Like any good DFH brew, this smells unlike any beer I've ever had. Usually when a brewery starts hitting the herbs hard, the beer ends up sucking, but this is quite the opposite. I looked up za'atar, which is just a mix of various herbs, sesame, and salt. Of the herbs, oregano and chamomile stick out with thyme not far behind. It's an earthy type of herbalness. There's definitely a fruitiness in there as well, which must be the doum (whatever the hell that is) and I swear I can smell some salt. Very interesting and well integrated aroma.

4.0 T: Tastes like what it is: salt, herbs, and wheat. The surprising part is how well it comes together. Light wheatiness that you would find in any APWA, but that's about all it shares with the typical. Herbal blast that isn't overpowering nor is it offputting. It's actually quite difficult to try to isolate the different herbs since they blend so well together. The chamomile though, is easy to locate due to its more distinctive taste. Pleasant saltiness which is fortunately at a reasonable level. I'm not sure what the doum fruit is doing in this. I may be attributing it's offerings to something else.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Slippery creaminess in this.

4.0 D: I gotta give DFH a lot of credit for brewing something like this. It's superbly interesting, which is always welcome since everyone else is doing what everyone else is doing. I don't know if I'd want to drink this more than once a year, but it's a good departure from the norm.

4.07/5  rDev +20.8%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter

A- A clear golden copper color with a one finger white head.

S- Unique, pepper, wheat, herbal spices, some fruit, and a little bit of funk from the yeast.

T- Again very unique and interesting. Getting more wheat and chamomile, light sweet fruit, and some pepper. I am become a bigger fan of this beer with every sip, taste took some getting use to.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- I really enjoyed this beer. I can see how people are disliking this beer, but I think Dogfish Head did a great job with this beer. Going into this with an open wind is helpful, this is not a normal beer, but a unique and different beer that has a lot going on for 4.5% ABV. I will be picking this up again!

Ta Henket from Dogfish Head Brewery