Ta Henket - Dogfish Head Brewery

Ta HenketTa Henket

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

For this ambitious liquid time capsule, we used ingredients and traditions plucked from Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Ta Henket is brewed with an ancient form of wheat and loaves of hearth-baked bread, and it's flavored with chamomile, dom-palm fruit and Middle Eastern herbs. To ferment this earthy ancient ale, Sam and friends traveled to Cairo, set out baited petri dishes and captured a native Egyptian saccharomyces yeast strain.

(Beer added by: lstokes on 12-20-2010)

wattoclone, Sep 12, 2012

thesarahfuller, Jan 02, 2012

zvanwink, May 10, 2012

tjeppaint, Feb 04, 2012
1.1/5  rDev -67.4%

Pours a medium amber color with a fizzy white head.

Uh, really? The smell....I don't know what they were going for, but it smells like a combination of sweaty feet and bad fish.

The taste is a pungent, bitterness.

I didn't have it in my mouth long enough to get anything from the mouthfeel.

Wow, just terrible. I actually took a few sips and it kept getting worse. I'm going to have nightmares about this one.

prg1976, Dec 24, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -62.9%

Nickfellow007, Aug 14, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -62.9%

Phacoman, Oct 01, 2012
1.3/5  rDev -61.4%

I have never been more disappointed with a beer in my life. I was so disappointed that I came on here to make my first review.

Color - Looks like any macro beer. Very little head.

Aroma - Smells like rotten fruit and stale Bud Light.

Taste - Awful. Tastes like someone threw up a pitcher of Bud Light into a DFH glass. It does not taste at all like a wheat ale. It taste like unknown rotten fruit fermented into a light beer.

This is the first beer in over a year that I have not been able to drink simply due to flavor. Poured out half a glass and ended up with a horrible headache from drinking this beer. I really thought this would be good after watching the brewmasters episode about this. However, when you push the boundaries of beer, you're bound to make something bad. I cannot recommend this to anyone.

AnIslandOfGeese, Dec 27, 2011
1.33/5  rDev -60.5%

750ml bottle into my mad Fox glass. It poured golden amber in color with a frothy white head filling the top two inches of the glass.

The aroma is pretty unpleasant. I get a lot of spices to it that just overpower everything else. I get a tart, crisp fruitiness and some grainy flavors to it, but neither is enough to cut through the earthy spices. The comparison someone made to burning hair was pretty fitting in my opinion. Probably the worst aroma I've ever encountered in a beer.

The taste isn't any better. Spices up front, something that tastes like rotten citrus fruit midway and some sweet, grainy malts and honey in the finish. Again just plain awful.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being moderate. Overall I thought this was an awful beer. Nothing in it worked for me and I can't drink more than a few sips of this. What a waste of $14. This is definitely one of the worst beers, if not the worst beer I've ever had.

billab914, Jan 01, 2012

GiveMeBeerToDrink, Apr 27, 2013

duceswild, Dec 31, 2011

jpd7374, Dec 26, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -55.5%

Weird. Weird, weird, weird beer. I can't believe I finished the entire bottle, as it was such a strange taste. I expected more (from Dogfish), especially at $14.99/bottle. There was just this really off-putting smell/taste that I couldn't get past. It was kind of like perfumed soap and basil. I usually enjoy Dogfish beers, but would definitely not recommend this one to anyone.

alysmith4, Sep 02, 2012