Ta Henket - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: lstokes on 12-20-2010

For this ambitious liquid time capsule, we used ingredients and traditions plucked from Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Ta Henket is brewed with an ancient form of wheat and loaves of hearth-baked bread, and it's flavored with chamomile, dom-palm fruit and Middle Eastern herbs. To ferment this earthy ancient ale, Sam and friends traveled to Cairo, set out baited petri dishes and captured a native Egyptian saccharomyces yeast strain.

Ratings: 734 | Reviews: 193
3.12/5  rDev -7.4%

On tap at The Thirsty Moose. The mint-bread aroma is different and reminds me of Moroccan Mint Tea, which I drink regularly. Light orange bodied, and big lace. A lighter mouthfeel. Some mint and other herbal tastes, I don't get it, not for me taste-wise, so not too drinkable.

3.72/5  rDev +10.4%

On tap at the ColLAboration beer fest at the Belasco Theater in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a clear light orange with a puffy bone colored head that settles to a film on top of the beer. There is no lacing on the drink down. Smell is of grains and herbs that I cannot identify. Taste is of grains, herbs, and spices. There is a slightly spice forward aftertaste with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer for what it is but not something I could drink an entire bottle of. Very interesting story behind this one and I am glad I was able to try it.

3.86/5  rDev +14.5%

Single finger thick head with nice lacing on a slightly hazy golden body. Aroma is mostly light grain and malt but not very overwhelming. The flavor is interesting. I am getting a strong gingerbread flavor throughout however initially a grainy and pale malt flavor is present. Corn note and semisweet finish. Light bodied and moderate carbonation. This one is actually very drinkable and with the right amount if sweetness.

3.2/5  rDev -5%

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color with hints of amber and has a light amount of carbonation. It poured with a thin head that quickly died down and left lacing on the surface and a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: there are light aromas of spices and honey in the nose.
T: The taste has flavors of wheat with notes of herbs and mushrooms along with hints of chamomile. There are also some hints of sourness.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a low to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Despite the low alcohol content, this beer isn’t that easy to drink and takes a lot of getting accustomed to it before you can finish the bottle.

3.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance: Pours a golden color with two fingers of foam that leave a few traces behind

Smell: Perfume of ancient herbs, with a bready character, underneath

Taste: After a bready opening, a sweet/sour lemony character takes over, with an herbal twang that develops though mid-palate; after the swallow, there is a malty, corn syrup flavor that combines with the chamomile to create a very unusual finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Interesting, from archeological point of view, but not something I would revisit

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%

With absolute Dogfish Head flavor, but yet nothing that has ever been tasted before- this experimental and avant garde ale is both familiar and foreign to the palate and the mind.

This ancient ale starts with a rusty copper and golden hue that carries a modest haze. A foamy haze seems airy and light while retaining and lacing excellently.

Strong and peculiar aromas remind me of the smokey sweetness of buckwheat honey with floral, spicy, and fruity sweetness. Raw and earthy herbs start to give me a glimpse into the fruity and spice additions that go into the brewed blend.

The raw and earthy sweetness of unpasturized honey and smokey buckwheat delivers in flavor as well as aroma. Tea-like herbs of chai, lemongrass, thyme, cinnamon, anise, and almond all play into the spicy and savory mix. Mild to moderate in intensity, the blance of sweet, spice, and fruit is seemingly easy to achieve for Dogfish Head brewers with this out-of-the-box ale.

Medium early on, but the richness of taste and moderate carbonation is quickly dismissed, in favor of a fleeting sweet feel and only a memory of spice and fruit as the finish delivers a dry and surprisingly light texture compared to the initial sweet taste and weighted warmth.

Comparisons to buckwheat meads come to mind because of the smoky sweet (nearly mesquite) character, but the beer holds back on the richer molasses-like flavor and feel of those meads. Instead a licorice note of fruit and spice accompanies the lighter-than-expected body from mid palate through medium fruity finish.

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

Split a bottle of this with a good friend of mine tonight as a nightcap from a long Christmas day. This was something I had been hoping to try since I saw the episode of brewmasters that was about this beer. The beer poured out as a much clearer than expected gold color with a fizzy white head on top. The smell of the beer was sweet and had some earthy spice notes on the nose. The taste of this was really interesting to me, I was very pleased with the pepper like flavors I kept getting with every sip. There is a subtle sweetness in there too which I liked. The mouthfeel was well carbonated and had a light body to it. Overall I thought that this beer was a very nice addition to ancient ales the DfH puts out. I have always found these to really spark my interest. I would drink it again for sure!

3.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Thanks for sharing this, Richard.

The pour is a very clear golden color with a short lived but tall white head. Smells strongly of cereal and grain, but very clean. Lots of bread, maybe even some corn bread, and tons of wheat. Maybe a little bit of yeast, too. The flavor is more of the same. Quite malty, but not overly sweet. Very bready with the same wheat and corn bread flavors. Some yeast as well. Medium body with medium carbonation.

A - one finger of white foam on a lightly hazy, golden body. The head fades quickly and leaves light lace.

S - red grapes, wet earth, cinnamon, and assorted other spicy notes.

T - light, sweet malt up front, some herbal character in the middle. Finishes with a light, sweet wheat character and a hard to describe, herbal character.

M - a moderately light body, average carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - not bad, it is light and weirdly earthy, but I find it to be strangely drinkable, kind if like a midas touch light.

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

I had this on-tap at Max's. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a layer of off white head that leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: I'm picking up a sweetness initially, some wheat malt. There is also a nutty/bready quality along with some herbal/spice notes.

Taste: I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this beer. To be honest, I hated the first sip, but the beer grew on me as I had more. Really weird, bready and herbal. I think I'm getting some of the tea and spice. It really reminds me of pizza goldfish crackers, especially in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a really different beer. I enjoyed my sample enough, but would have been upset if I had paid for a whole bottle. Glad I tried it, but probably won't have it again.

2.7/5  rDev -19.9%

Got a chance to try this over New Years, interesting beer to say the least. First off... cannot get over the pizza flavors, specifically pepperoni pizza. A previous reviewer mentioned pizza flavored goldfish crackers which is exactly what it reminds me of. Nice bubbly, golden color in the glass.. taste is again quite odd. Seems to be a lot of different flavors going on with fruits/spices my mouth has never tastes before. Also get a random whiff of tuna? Yeah.. I'll leave it at that. I love DFH and I think the historical beers are amazing ideas and great to talk about in conversation, but this is a miss for me.

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%

First had: on tap at Dogfish Head, Rehoboth Beach, DE

Clear golden color with a slight, white head, that soon disappeared almost completely. After a short waft, I could tell this was going to be a very unique one: scents of wheat bread, grains, a light sweetness, and a certain "I don't know what" that I supposed was attributable to the wild yeast and other unique ingredients--I've never had "Dom palm fruit" so I don't really know what it smells or tastes like, but presumably, that's a big factor here. Very full and in-your-face taste right up front, and the best way I could describe what I experienced was chicken boullion, which I got a strong sensation of up front. After that, flavors of wheat bread, raw grains, raw sugar, and light spice. It was hard at first for me to tell if I actually like the beer or not, because I've really never tasted anything like it. Medium mouthfeel, thick and chewy, considering how light the beer actually looks. Definitely drinkable, but I wouldn't want it in large quantities.

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap into a Disney thimble glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed from notes. Acquired at Wally's Wine in Westwood, California. Served refrigerator cold but allowed to warm up over time. Expectations are average; I don't really trust Dogfish Head.

A: Pours a three finger head of slight cream, fair thickness, and pretty good retention - though the ABV is quite low. Semitransparent copper gold colour.

Sm: Spices and malts. A mild strength aroma.

T: A strange mixture of spices and tea notes. Some strong tea notes. Sweet bejaysus. Balanced for what it is, but strange. Awkwardly built.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Not too thick nor too thin, but simply a bit strange.

Dr: Quite drinkable. ABV is hidden but low. I enjoy it generally but it's not great. I wouldn't have it again.

C+

2.8/5  rDev -16.9%

From 01/07/12 notes. Thanks to Gene for sharing this at a RB tasting. 750ml bottle into a tulip.

a - Pours a clear pale yellow color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells of nuts, spices, oregano, wheat, bready malts, and light floral notes. A bit odd and interesting, but not bad.

t - Tastes of spices, oregano, nuts, wheat, toasted malts, bready malts, and burnt malts. Spices up front again, a bit of a step down from the nose.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall an interesting beer, but wasn't a huge fan, and I normally like DFH beers. A bit weird and full of spices, I wouldn't seek this one out again.

3.18/5  rDev -5.6%

Served in a Dogfish head snifter, don't believe me? Check my twitter feed genius.

Beer is yellow, clear, white head medium bubbles, low retention but not from a lack of trying, heavily carbonated, no lacing.

Aroma is grainy, tea-like.

Beer is grainy, arid on the finish. Harsh, difficult to drink. Some tea comes through, a few spices but there is the underlying sulfury harshness that I can't support. Nope, not again.

3.92/5  rDev +16.3%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, bottled in late 2011(first bottling). Pours slightly hazy golden straw color with a small 1 finger fairly dense white head with poor retention that reduces to a ring of lacing. Minimal glass lacing, and a slight stream of carbonation coming up. Aromas of chamomile, biscuit, pepper, black tea, lemon, herbs, grass, light citrus, honey, and yeast funk, and spiciness. Very interesting and odd aromas; but I wasn’t sure what to expect. Taste is more pleasant than the aromas: honey, lemon, herbs, chamomile, black tea, grass, licorice, wheat, bread, pepper, and yeast spices. Lingering notes of herbs, black tea, wheat, citrus, and spices on the finish for a bit. Nice flavor balance and good complexity. Medium carbonation and light-medium bodied; with a very smooth mouthfeel. A touch watery feeling, but still has plenty of flavor. No alcohol noticed on the taste or finish as expected for 4.5%. Overall this is a damn nice ancient ale recreation from Dogfish Head once again. Nice balance and good complexity with easy drinking. They did a great job on this. Definitely enjoyed this one.

2.93/5  rDev -13.1%

Served on tap at Cork City Pub in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a clear medium golden yellow in color with some hints that are just a bit darker when held up to the light and light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall bright white head that quickly reduces to a small patch of extremely thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of honey, chamomile, and herbs. Not sure I have smelled another beer quite like this one.

T: This flavor is strange - some lighter notes of wheat with some earthy mushroom flavors, chamomile (like herbal tea), and herbs. Just a touch of sourness.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: This is not an easy beer to drink, even though the ABV is rather low the flavor combination is "interesting" and it makes it a tough beer to finish. Strangely, I have had this beer two times and it has given me a headache almost immediately both times.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes. Had on tap at the DFH Brewpub in Rehoboth on 12/18/10.

A: Served in a goblet. The beer is a very clear, golden color. There was no head or lacing at all.

S: A good bit of wheat, some breadiness, and a light sweetness - probably from the Dom palm fruit.

T: Much more wheat on the flavor profile. The chamomile comes through and there is a light earthiness. Some light fruit, but the wheat/grain/bread dominates.

M: Light to medium bodied with little carbonation. Goes down easy though.

O: In a word, different. I liked it, but it was a little boring. If this gets bottled, and added to the ancient ales lineup, I look forward to trying it again.

3.1/5  rDev -8%

750 ml bottle just picked up over the weekend. Shared with my girlfriend and family, served in a DFH Signature glass.

A: Pale orange/yellow body with a small silky, frothy and creamy pure white head. Fairly clear minus the chill haze. What head was there did dissipate quickly and left some lifeless cling to the glass. Nothing spectacular or terrible.

S: Hmm, well that's interesting. Buttery popcorn, spicy yeast, honey, pollen and touches of floral hops. There's a sweetness here and a flavor I cannot put my finger on. It's probably the doum fruit and perhaps even the chamomile is contributing to the overall eccentric aromas I'm picking up.

T: Well, it follows the nose - there's still a buttery character up front on the palate with a sweetness that's pretty unrecognizable for comparison-sake. Again, I'll say it's the doum fruit, but towards mid-palate and to the back is a very wheaty element along with some spices, yeast and pepper. Really it's an odd, complex flavor but it's nothing I'm really falling in love with.

M: Highly active carbonation, very bubbly and smooth going across the palate. The sweetness lingers a bit but everything else is cut nicely.

I can certainly see where they were going with this. It was interesting to drink something based on an ancient recipe, something I like a lot about this series. Ta Henket, however, was probably my least favorite of all of them. It's not that it's necessarily a bad beer but it's nothing I'd buy another bottle of. Fun to try, but I don't need this one again.

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: pours a golden yellowish orange color with a short that fell apart quickly.

Smell: chamomile, yeast, and a bit of fruity sweetness.

Taste: fruity sweetness, chamomile, mild yeast flavor, and a mellow bitterness. Overall a bit sweet flavored beer.

Mouthfeel: light-medium in body. Lightly crisp throughout. Long lasting aftertaste.

Overall: this is an interesting beer that is a slow sipper. Another beer worth seeking out to at least give it a try. This may not be a beer you want to constantly drink, but it will shake the taste buds up.

3.41/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a pale copper color with a thick, dense, white head that has great retention. The nose has notes of faint wheat, yeast, and chamomile. The flavor is sweet up front with a faint fruitiness followed by some faint spice from the chamomile. The finish has a honey-like sweetness, but it also has a slightly smoky, woody earthiness. The mouthfeel is incredibly light with a moderate amount of carbonation.

As always DFH earns some points for creativity, but overall, this was underwhelming.

4.06/5  rDev +20.5%

750 mL bottle,

A: Pours a rather clear goldenrod with a medium white head. Fair retention.

S: Very flowery with lots of bread and yeast, a unique character.

T: The chamomile is very noticable which I like. An earthy, bready overall flavour, herbal notes, I quite liked it.

M: Medium-bodied, crisp and smooth.

O: Definitely an interesting beer, a distinct herbal flavour, so those that don't like that might want to stay away. But for the adventurous, this is worth a buy.

1.35/5  rDev -59.9%

750ml bottle into my mad Fox glass. It poured golden amber in color with a frothy white head filling the top two inches of the glass.

The aroma is pretty unpleasant. I get a lot of spices to it that just overpower everything else. I get a tart, crisp fruitiness and some grainy flavors to it, but neither is enough to cut through the earthy spices. The comparison someone made to burning hair was pretty fitting in my opinion. Probably the worst aroma I've ever encountered in a beer.

The taste isn't any better. Spices up front, something that tastes like rotten citrus fruit midway and some sweet, grainy malts and honey in the finish. Again just plain awful.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being moderate. Overall I thought this was an awful beer. Nothing in it worked for me and I can't drink more than a few sips of this. What a waste of $14. This is definitely one of the worst beers, if not the worst beer I've ever had.

3.32/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, dark golden orange color with apricot edges and a two finger frothy, pillowy white head that quickly settles into a thick, lasting ring. Very good retention with sporadic streaks of soapy lacing left behind.

Earthy, musty aroma with a strong floral presence. Some grassy, barnyard funk with straw and hay along with flower petal, caraway seed and sweet caramel malt. I'm not familiar with most of the ingredients but the wild yeast and floral chamomile and farro notes stand out. Not much of a hop presence but there's some faint light fruit. Sweet pale malts underneath as well with some caramel, biscuit and apricot.

On the lighter end of medium body with a slightly tart,funky yeast presence that dominates the flavor. This was really strong in the nose and stands out here as well. Grassy and herbal with resinous hops, straw, damp hay and wild bugs followed by floral rose water, sweet malts, light fruit and booze. Somewhat dry, chalky and earthy with sunflower seed oil, caramel malt, toffee and biscuit toward the end of the palate. Some dark and light fruit esters and boozy sweetness as well but there's not much heat. I would have guessed higher than 4.5% but it's still pretty easy to drink. Decent complexity but some of the flavors clash with each other. Not the most flavorful beer but its an interesting experiment and they successfully captured the wild Egyptian yeast. I don't think that I would buy this beer again but I enjoyed drinking it.

2.96/5  rDev -12.2%

750 mL bottle poured into a DFH signature pint.

Appearance - Golden yellow body with a fluffy white head. Not much retention and no lacing. Looks like I poured myself a Heineken.

Smell - Grainy and fruity. There's a strange aroma that I can only imagine is from whatever bizarre spice DFH used. Not really inviting.

Taste - More bland than good or bad. Instant fruitiness followed by a domination of grain flavors. The finish is the manifestation of the strange aroma and it lingers with an herbal quality.

Mouthfeel - Light, easy to drink, even if the flavors are strange. Like drinking a glass of water.

Overall - Uninspiring and dull. If this is an authentic representation of some ancient civilization's beer, then they drank boring beer.

Ta Henket from Dogfish Head Brewery