Ta Henket - Dogfish Head Brewery

Ta HenketTa Henket

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

For this ambitious liquid time capsule, we used ingredients and traditions plucked from Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Ta Henket is brewed with an ancient form of wheat and loaves of hearth-baked bread, and it's flavored with chamomile, dom-palm fruit and Middle Eastern herbs. To ferment this earthy ancient ale, Sam and friends traveled to Cairo, set out baited petri dishes and captured a native Egyptian saccharomyces yeast strain.

(Beer added by: lstokes on 12-20-2010)
3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

On tap at The Thirsty Moose. The mint-bread aroma is different and reminds me of Moroccan Mint Tea, which I drink regularly. Light orange bodied, and big lace. A lighter mouthfeel. Some mint and other herbal tastes, I don't get it, not for me taste-wise, so not too drinkable.

Sammy, Aug 19, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

On tap at the ColLAboration beer fest at the Belasco Theater in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a clear light orange with a puffy bone colored head that settles to a film on top of the beer. There is no lacing on the drink down. Smell is of grains and herbs that I cannot identify. Taste is of grains, herbs, and spices. There is a slightly spice forward aftertaste with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer for what it is but not something I could drink an entire bottle of. Very interesting story behind this one and I am glad I was able to try it.

UCLABrewN84, Feb 27, 2012

djrn2, Jan 05, 2012

zestar, Aug 13, 2014

nmann08, Jan 08, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -5.6%

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color with hints of amber and has a light amount of carbonation. It poured with a thin head that quickly died down and left lacing on the surface and a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: there are light aromas of spices and honey in the nose.
T: The taste has flavors of wheat with notes of herbs and mushrooms along with hints of chamomile. There are also some hints of sourness.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a low to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Despite the low alcohol content, this beer isn’t that easy to drink and takes a lot of getting accustomed to it before you can finish the bottle.

metter98, Jan 10, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance: Pours a golden color with two fingers of foam that leave a few traces behind

Smell: Perfume of ancient herbs, with a bready character, underneath

Taste: After a bready opening, a sweet/sour lemony character takes over, with an herbal twang that develops though mid-palate; after the swallow, there is a malty, corn syrup flavor that combines with the chamomile to create a very unusual finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Interesting, from archeological point of view, but not something I would revisit

brentk56, Jan 24, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

With absolute Dogfish Head flavor, but yet nothing that has ever been tasted before- this experimental and avant garde ale is both familiar and foreign to the palate and the mind.

This ancient ale starts with a rusty copper and golden hue that carries a modest haze. A foamy haze seems airy and light while retaining and lacing excellently.

Strong and peculiar aromas remind me of the smokey sweetness of buckwheat honey with floral, spicy, and fruity sweetness. Raw and earthy herbs start to give me a glimpse into the fruity and spice additions that go into the brewed blend.

The raw and earthy sweetness of unpasturized honey and smokey buckwheat delivers in flavor as well as aroma. Tea-like herbs of chai, lemongrass, thyme, cinnamon, anise, and almond all play into the spicy and savory mix. Mild to moderate in intensity, the blance of sweet, spice, and fruit is seemingly easy to achieve for Dogfish Head brewers with this out-of-the-box ale.

Medium early on, but the richness of taste and moderate carbonation is quickly dismissed, in favor of a fleeting sweet feel and only a memory of spice and fruit as the finish delivers a dry and surprisingly light texture compared to the initial sweet taste and weighted warmth.

Comparisons to buckwheat meads come to mind because of the smoky sweet (nearly mesquite) character, but the beer holds back on the richer molasses-like flavor and feel of those meads. Instead a licorice note of fruit and spice accompanies the lighter-than-expected body from mid palate through medium fruity finish.

BEERchitect, Dec 26, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

kjkinsey, Jul 12, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

Thanks for sharing this, Richard.

The pour is a very clear golden color with a short lived but tall white head. Smells strongly of cereal and grain, but very clean. Lots of bread, maybe even some corn bread, and tons of wheat. Maybe a little bit of yeast, too. The flavor is more of the same. Quite malty, but not overly sweet. Very bready with the same wheat and corn bread flavors. Some yeast as well. Medium body with medium carbonation.

womencantsail, Jan 22, 2012

ygtbsm94, Jan 11, 2012

GRG1313, Oct 26, 2013

spycow, Mar 10, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Single finger thick head with nice lacing on a slightly hazy golden body. Aroma is mostly light grain and malt but not very overwhelming. The flavor is interesting. I am getting a strong gingerbread flavor throughout however initially a grainy and pale malt flavor is present. Corn note and semisweet finish. Light bodied and moderate carbonation. This one is actually very drinkable and with the right amount if sweetness.

kylehay2004, Feb 10, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +18.1%

Split a bottle of this with a good friend of mine tonight as a nightcap from a long Christmas day. This was something I had been hoping to try since I saw the episode of brewmasters that was about this beer. The beer poured out as a much clearer than expected gold color with a fizzy white head on top. The smell of the beer was sweet and had some earthy spice notes on the nose. The taste of this was really interesting to me, I was very pleased with the pepper like flavors I kept getting with every sip. There is a subtle sweetness in there too which I liked. The mouthfeel was well carbonated and had a light body to it. Overall I thought that this beer was a very nice addition to ancient ales the DfH puts out. I have always found these to really spark my interest. I would drink it again for sure!

Knapp85, Dec 26, 2011

westcoastbeerlvr, Mar 04, 2013

JAHMUR, Dec 21, 2011

SocalKicks, Jul 02, 2012

A - one finger of white foam on a lightly hazy, golden body. The head fades quickly and leaves light lace.

S - red grapes, wet earth, cinnamon, and assorted other spicy notes.

T - light, sweet malt up front, some herbal character in the middle. Finishes with a light, sweet wheat character and a hard to describe, herbal character.

M - a moderately light body, average carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - not bad, it is light and weirdly earthy, but I find it to be strangely drinkable, kind if like a midas touch light.

nickfl, Feb 10, 2012

Slatetank, May 22, 2013
3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Served in a Dogfish head snifter, don't believe me? Check my twitter feed genius.

Beer is yellow, clear, white head medium bubbles, low retention but not from a lack of trying, heavily carbonated, no lacing.

Aroma is grainy, tea-like.

Beer is grainy, arid on the finish. Harsh, difficult to drink. Some tea comes through, a few spices but there is the underlying sulfury harshness that I can't support. Nope, not again.

drabmuh, Jan 01, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

First had: on tap at Dogfish Head, Rehoboth Beach, DE

Clear golden color with a slight, white head, that soon disappeared almost completely. After a short waft, I could tell this was going to be a very unique one: scents of wheat bread, grains, a light sweetness, and a certain "I don't know what" that I supposed was attributable to the wild yeast and other unique ingredients--I've never had "Dom palm fruit" so I don't really know what it smells or tastes like, but presumably, that's a big factor here. Very full and in-your-face taste right up front, and the best way I could describe what I experienced was chicken boullion, which I got a strong sensation of up front. After that, flavors of wheat bread, raw grains, raw sugar, and light spice. It was hard at first for me to tell if I actually like the beer or not, because I've really never tasted anything like it. Medium mouthfeel, thick and chewy, considering how light the beer actually looks. Definitely drinkable, but I wouldn't want it in large quantities.

Rifugium, Dec 18, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

I had this on-tap at Max's. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a layer of off white head that leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: I'm picking up a sweetness initially, some wheat malt. There is also a nutty/bready quality along with some herbal/spice notes.

Taste: I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this beer. To be honest, I hated the first sip, but the beer grew on me as I had more. Really weird, bready and herbal. I think I'm getting some of the tea and spice. It really reminds me of pizza goldfish crackers, especially in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a really different beer. I enjoyed my sample enough, but would have been upset if I had paid for a whole bottle. Glad I tried it, but probably won't have it again.

oline73, Dec 30, 2011

mendvicdog, Dec 29, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -17.5%

From 01/07/12 notes. Thanks to Gene for sharing this at a RB tasting. 750ml bottle into a tulip.

a - Pours a clear pale yellow color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells of nuts, spices, oregano, wheat, bready malts, and light floral notes. A bit odd and interesting, but not bad.

t - Tastes of spices, oregano, nuts, wheat, toasted malts, bready malts, and burnt malts. Spices up front again, a bit of a step down from the nose.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall an interesting beer, but wasn't a huge fan, and I normally like DFH beers. A bit weird and full of spices, I wouldn't seek this one out again.

mdfb79, Jan 24, 2012