Ta Henket - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: lstokes on 12-20-2010

For this ambitious liquid time capsule, we used ingredients and traditions plucked from Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Ta Henket is brewed with an ancient form of wheat and loaves of hearth-baked bread, and it's flavored with chamomile, dom-palm fruit and Middle Eastern herbs. To ferment this earthy ancient ale, Sam and friends traveled to Cairo, set out baited petri dishes and captured a native Egyptian saccharomyces yeast strain.

« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Ratings: 734 | Reviews: 193
4.2/5  rDev +24.6%

A- Poured into an oversized snifter. Starts with a fizzy white head with weak retention and no lacing. Beer is golden in color with some fine sediment in it

S- Some bitterness along with some biscuit and fruity sweetness

T- Wasn't wild about it at first, but it's growing on me. The flavors that are present aren't overwhelming but are just right in that they mesh really well. The pale malt flavor is the most prominent flavor followed by some fruity sweetness and spices. I'm sure the chamomile is contributing though it's not really enough to pick out

M- Light bodied with light carbonation

O- Like I said before, I wasn't impressed at first but it finished well for me. In the end it reminds me alot of a Scottish gruit beer. Baffles me that they released it in December vs the spring or summer as it would be great to drink in warm weather

Cheers

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

I remember watching the Brewmasters episode where Sam when to Cairo so I was excited to see this in bottles.

Poured from a 25.4 ounce bottle into my Spatenbrau weizen glass. Pours a pretty dull light golden color. A touch cloudy. Explosive carbonation, created two fluffy fingers of eggshell head. Head retreated to a thin wispy layer. Decent lacing.

Smell is definitely wheat centric. There's some breadiness and malty sweetness as well. Also, a pretty noticeable herbal tea note. Overall, the smell isn't that impressive to me. Pretty pedestrian.

Taste: interesting, definitely a primitive tasting beer. Upfront, it's bread and not overly wheaty. A healthy dose of herbs comes in and that's where this beer goes off track for me. There's a black peppery aftertaste. It's earthy and there is a definite Middle Eastern spiciness at play here, but in my opinion they don't work in a beer. I have to give DFH credit for going out on a limb again, but the taste doesn't do it for me.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light for DFH. The carbonation which starts off so strong is almost non-existent. Definitely drinkable but probably better suited for the summer rather than a few days before Christmas.

Overall, an interesting concept but not for me. The flavor just doesn't agree with my palette. Again, I have to give DFH credit for pushing the envelope with their Ancient Ales programs. However, every time I drink an ancient ale, I'm glad we've come so far with brewing and beer.

1.12/5  rDev -66.8%

Pours a medium amber color with a fizzy white head.

Uh, really? The smell....I don't know what they were going for, but it smells like a combination of sweaty feet and bad fish.

The taste is a pungent, bitterness.

I didn't have it in my mouth long enough to get anything from the mouthfeel.

Wow, just terrible. I actually took a few sips and it kept getting worse. I'm going to have nightmares about this one.

2.16/5  rDev -35.9%

A: Pours golden straw colored with a huge white head that recedes quickly

S: Smells like tuna, wheat, some weird spice, and just funk.

T: Butter, popcorn, wheat, some weird spice, hints of hops, a weird sort of herbal, leafy quality to the whole thing. Very unpleasant.

O: This is pretty terrible. Waste of 12 bucks.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I give DFH credit for boldly going where nobody else does. This is another fine example of a beer that I appreciate the experiment, but wouldn't want to drink it again.

The smell is unfamiliar - clean, slightly sweet, but not altogether pleasant.

The taste reminds me of rambutan fruit, although my wife says it reminds here a little of burnt toast, which I can also agree with.

The finish is practically immediate, as there is little discernible aftertaste. The head is slight, and hangs around the glass with decent lacing.
I recommend this one to people who are fans of the Ancient Ales series, and know what to expect in this type of adventurous beverage.

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

750ml bottle, nice label.

It pours a clear honeyish color with a fizzy white head that leaves no lacing.

The smell is odd. Definitely spicey in a north-African sort-of way there is some standard cinnamony smell, graham cracker. It is mildly fruity.

The flavor is floral and spicy. There is a hint of tanginess, it really tastes unlike any other beer.

I am not the biggest fan. A lot of unique flavors here.

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Clear yellow, carbonated, with a two finger head.

S-Some malt and wheat. Interesting spices. An interesting smell.

T-Wheat and spices. An interesting assortment of spices. I would assume its from the local spices.

M-Light with some carbonation.

O-Not that good, but extremely interesting. Don't think I'd ever have it again but like everything DFH does it is an adventure.

3.1/5  rDev -8%

750 ml bottle just picked up over the weekend. Shared with my girlfriend and family, served in a DFH Signature glass.

A: Pale orange/yellow body with a small silky, frothy and creamy pure white head. Fairly clear minus the chill haze. What head was there did dissipate quickly and left some lifeless cling to the glass. Nothing spectacular or terrible.

S: Hmm, well that's interesting. Buttery popcorn, spicy yeast, honey, pollen and touches of floral hops. There's a sweetness here and a flavor I cannot put my finger on. It's probably the doum fruit and perhaps even the chamomile is contributing to the overall eccentric aromas I'm picking up.

T: Well, it follows the nose - there's still a buttery character up front on the palate with a sweetness that's pretty unrecognizable for comparison-sake. Again, I'll say it's the doum fruit, but towards mid-palate and to the back is a very wheaty element along with some spices, yeast and pepper. Really it's an odd, complex flavor but it's nothing I'm really falling in love with.

M: Highly active carbonation, very bubbly and smooth going across the palate. The sweetness lingers a bit but everything else is cut nicely.

I can certainly see where they were going with this. It was interesting to drink something based on an ancient recipe, something I like a lot about this series. Ta Henket, however, was probably my least favorite of all of them. It's not that it's necessarily a bad beer but it's nothing I'd buy another bottle of. Fun to try, but I don't need this one again.

Had this on tap at the brewpub, served in snifter. Nice bready aroma and golden cloudy color (I like unfiltered beers). There was a small head, but nothing to write homeabout.

Tasted was malty and a little bready, with a little hop preseence. I think they really naied what they were going for.

Overall, at 4.5% I think this packs a lot of flavor and is a nice session beer at the brewpub. At $12 bomber though it's a nice treat yet doesn't leave you banged up so you can have another. Just a solid beer and good addition to the Ancient Ale series.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

750ml bottle dated 2011 poured into DFH Signature glass. Just came into DE stores last week.

A: Pours a clear yellow orange straw color. Great carbonation streaming off the bottom of the glass etching. Half finger of bright white head. Some lacing with a swirl.

S: The smell is extremely interesting and like nothing that I have ever smelled before. I definitely get that spice blend, za'tar or whatever it is, and some yeasty bready notes. The chamomile is nicely hidden behind it all, but it's there. This smells very herbaceous (spelling?)

T: It's a really simple and nice sip after all those whacky and weird smells. On the tip of the tongue you get the spices. If I was more familiar maybe I could have picked them out. I do get a little chamomile in the sip. Definitely some mild breadiness.

M: This is very little and easy drinking. Actually would be pretty refreshing in the summer months.

O: This is probably the best "big bottle" DFH beer I have had in a quite some time besides BBrew. It's an easy drinking beer that many would enjoy once they get past the different smells that they might not know.

4.12/5  rDev +22.3%

Had on-tap at the DFH brewpub in DE. Poured a clear golden yellow/orange color. Quickly receding head that was small to begin with, though a light ring of bubbles stayed around the glass throughout the session. There was a tiny bit of spotty lacing...overall the beer appeared "thin".

Had an aroma of wheat, bread, corn and sweetness. Wow. Really, really intriguing. The flavor from this beer is incredibly interesting. It is now one of my favorite DFH brews. Bready, earthy, grainy, spicy and sweet...this beer is complex and well-balanced. Doesn't taste like anything I've ever had before.

Light bodied with good carbonation. I picked up a bottle and I hope that this one sees distribution soon in PA!

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%

First had: on tap at Dogfish Head, Rehoboth Beach, DE

Clear golden color with a slight, white head, that soon disappeared almost completely. After a short waft, I could tell this was going to be a very unique one: scents of wheat bread, grains, a light sweetness, and a certain "I don't know what" that I supposed was attributable to the wild yeast and other unique ingredients--I've never had "Dom palm fruit" so I don't really know what it smells or tastes like, but presumably, that's a big factor here. Very full and in-your-face taste right up front, and the best way I could describe what I experienced was chicken boullion, which I got a strong sensation of up front. After that, flavors of wheat bread, raw grains, raw sugar, and light spice. It was hard at first for me to tell if I actually like the beer or not, because I've really never tasted anything like it. Medium mouthfeel, thick and chewy, considering how light the beer actually looks. Definitely drinkable, but I wouldn't want it in large quantities.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes. Had on tap at the DFH Brewpub in Rehoboth on 12/18/10.

A: Served in a goblet. The beer is a very clear, golden color. There was no head or lacing at all.

S: A good bit of wheat, some breadiness, and a light sweetness - probably from the Dom palm fruit.

T: Much more wheat on the flavor profile. The chamomile comes through and there is a light earthiness. Some light fruit, but the wheat/grain/bread dominates.

M: Light to medium bodied with little carbonation. Goes down easy though.

O: In a word, different. I liked it, but it was a little boring. If this gets bottled, and added to the ancient ales lineup, I look forward to trying it again.

4.38/5  rDev +30%

Had a snifter pour off tap at the Rehoboth brew pub.

A - Cloudy clear, thin head that stays at the edge, very loose quick lacing, bright orange in color

S - Earthy grassy notes, creamy almost a hint of green onion?

T - Immediately I noticed how odd and complex this beer is. Lots of mild spices and earthy notes work very well together. Doesn't taste or feel like a beer at all. But, what is beer really? The middle is mildly sweet and creamy and it finishes clean and easy with little after taste.

M - Thin

O - Very complex. One of the most unique beers I've ever encountered as far as flavor. While it does have a lot of "new to me" flavors its fairly easy on the palate as they all work well together to a focused center. This could easily be a session beer. I'm hoping that this one eventually gets bottled.

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Taken from notes @ Dogfish Head Brewpub

A:Poures a nice golden color with barely any head retention at all.

S: Lightly scented with chamomile and wheat.

T: Refreshingly light and delicate with a slightly fruity/citrus taste and a mild malt in the back.

M: Body is light almost flat looking in the glass but a twirl of glass and it comes back to life.

O: Very drinkable and would definitly order this again without hesitation.

3.77/5  rDev +11.9%

This may very well be my favorite (in other words, the most intriguing) "ancient ale" DFH has put out, and it tastes more like I was hoping the others (Theobroma, Chateau Jiahu, Midas Touch, and I suppose you'd include Sah'tea - my favorite among those four) would - strange, unusual, and generally "primitive" and arguably unpalatable to the taste of even some of the more active beer enthusiasts.

Served, at the brewpub, in a medium-sized snifter. Flat, right to the top, maybe some traces of visible carbonation. Dull, hazy, pale yellow-gold.

I dare say it almost smells like an herbaceous-bitter, low-grade/stale, grainy Canadian lager, with a twist - a friend suggested palm leaves, like those received on Palm Sunday at church. "Earthy" could apply. I took my time drinking this, seeing what it would reveal. Late into it, it took on an outdoorsy, lavender soap aroma. Of its ingredients, I believe the chamomile came out the most, followed closely by the zatar (thyme, oregano, marjoram).

The flavor is something else altogether. After watching the Brew Masters episode where they described the characteristics of the doum palm fruit used in the recipe, the "earthy" quality, which leads here, must derive from none other than that. I recall someone on the show was reminded of mushroom when sampling the doum. That's it! The zatar herb bouquet is certainly apparent on the tongue as well, in a marginally lesser ratio to the doum, and mild in its attack. Chamomile and a tiny tartness of wheat fill in the rest. I thought, or imagined, a drop of honey sweetness in the finish as well.

In perspective, the taste is more tea-like than beer-like - I hate to say bland - perhaps expecting something more potent all around. Didn't help that there wasn't much malt sweetness - it drank fairly thin and dry. Such criticisms, such conditioned expectations shouldn't apply here, however. This is what I've been waiting for from the Ancient Ales. Something unique, something foreign (and I don't mean Belgium), something that truly stands out and inspires. I wholeheartedly appreciate the effort taken here do create something interesting. Thank you. Can't wait to try it again.

3.67/5  rDev +8.9%

tap at Rehoboth.

Pours a wheat gold color, mostly clear, with a white lacing.

The smell is wheaty with hints of chamomile.

Taste is similarly wheaty, with chamomile notes and some fruit tartness.

Mouthfeel is moderate with some fizzy carbonation.

Unique beer with a mild flavor, overall mostly appealing for its novelty but not quite fantastic. Still, good and refreshing and definitely worth trying if you can catch it.

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

I had this on tap in rehoboth. It smells like wild yeast and wheat, with a salt/sesame note, and tastes like a light and slighty sweet, slightly spicy wheat. Think citrus, herbs, bubblegum. Rosemary? Honey? Sesame? I can't identify all the spices.

Light with good carbonation, slightly sticky. Not my favorite experimental dfh but definitely a tasty brew.

« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »