1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Ta Henket - Dogfish Head Brewery

Ta HenketTa Henket

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

For this ambitious liquid time capsule, we used ingredients and traditions plucked from Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Ta Henket is brewed with an ancient form of wheat and loaves of hearth-baked bread, and it's flavored with chamomile, dom-palm fruit and Middle Eastern herbs. To ferment this earthy ancient ale, Sam and friends traveled to Cairo, set out baited petri dishes and captured a native Egyptian saccharomyces yeast strain.

(Beer added by: lstokes on 12-20-2010)
4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

Nice clarity in this golden orange colored beer. A 1 finger frothy white head sits on top for a short time, dissapating to a thin and bubbly sheet. A small amount of fine bubbles of carbonation float upwards. Slightly vinous in the aroma with a bit of skunkweed and odd spices that I can't quite put my finger on. Possibly Za'atar and doum fruit? Couldn't honestly tell you, but it makes for an interesting nose. Hints of peppercorn and chili peppers are identifiable. Maybe oregano as well? Definitely some very herbal hop aromas. Chamomile has a soft influence. Definitely wheaty for the malt bill, rounding out a very interesting, complex and unique nose.

The palate follows the nose: interesting, and yet somewhat smoothly bland, at least through the middle of the palate. The front is greeted by a burst of juicy fruitiness that is lightly citrusy. Some spices swirl around that but they really hit their stride in the middle-back of the palate, reminding me again of peppercorn, chillies and oregano. That light citrus actually manages to be a weak backbone in combination with a small but balancing wheat malt. The back continues with the herbal hops and finishes spicy and juicy, yet dry and citrusy as well. The chamomile seems to have a smoothing-out effect that keeps a medium-high carbonation level in check. Despite all these unique and interesting flavors, there is an almost bland feeling, like nothing comes out and really hits you hard; its all very subtle. This is fine with me as I keep finding layers of complexity to it as I keep drinking. At 4.5% ABV, its easy to drink, but is much better when you take your time with it and get into the subtleties.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the uniqueness of this beer. It's not the best beer I've ever had, but its very interesting and fun to dissect as it is so subtley complex and unique. Some will say that its just another gimmick from DFH, but its still a cool concept regardless. I like their ancient ales series and I'm very glad they take the time to make sure that they're not another cookie cutter brewery. They owe their great success to that.

chodinheaven, Jan 05, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Got a chance to try this over New Years, interesting beer to say the least. First off... cannot get over the pizza flavors, specifically pepperoni pizza. A previous reviewer mentioned pizza flavored goldfish crackers which is exactly what it reminds me of. Nice bubbly, golden color in the glass.. taste is again quite odd. Seems to be a lot of different flavors going on with fruits/spices my mouth has never tastes before. Also get a random whiff of tuna? Yeah.. I'll leave it at that. I love DFH and I think the historical beers are amazing ideas and great to talk about in conversation, but this is a miss for me.

oriolesfan4, Jan 05, 2012

This beer really defies the style...I'm not sure how they decided to categorize it as this...probably just because it was brewed with wheat.

A: It's a medium-brown shade, with no head or lacing at all. It's very hazy. For the style it's pretty good, but there's no head at all.

S: This has a crazy smell to it. It's very spicy, and smells like BBQ spices. I pick up a woody smell to it as well.

T: I don't really know how to describe the flavor, other than that it tastes like BBQ chips and marinade. It has some of that woody flavor that I smelled too, but it's way in the background. I can not emphasize enough, how ridiculous this beer tastes. It seriously tastes like somebody dumped the spice cabinet into this beer. This really doesn't taste good at all, but it is interesting so I'll give it that...it would be 1.0 if it weren't for the claim of Egyptian ingredients and recipe.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty smooth, but it's very hard to drink with the insane amount of spice in this thing.

O: Overall this would make a good marinade for chicken or something, but it's not really my idea of a good beer. If DFH makes "off centered" beers...this one is an "off the rocker" beer...the only thing that really saves it is how interesting of a story it has, which overall makes it slightly interesting to try. As a beer though, I wouldn't recommend or drink it again. Egyptian ingredients...maybe...snake oil...maybe...

teromous, Jan 05, 2012

Turbodog666, Jan 03, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -13.9%

A: Pours a clear gold with a fizzy white head. Head retention is poor and the amount of lacing is minimal. From the little streams of effervescence that are so visible in the liquid, one can tell that this will be a bloating, intensely carbonated beer.

S: In all honesty, the aroma of this beer is downright unpleasant. Spicy, grainy aromas blend with an odd, yeasty funk that quickly becomes overpowering. If I could hold my nose while drinking this, I would.

T: This ale opens sharp and grainy with tart, wheaty notes from the emmer faro coming through loud and clear. These are soon accompanied by notes of chamomile, sage, oregano, lemongrass, plums, and gingerbread. The finish is sweet with fleeting notes of chamomile, plums, and gingerbread.

M: Light in body and very dry. As I suspected earlier, this ale is highly carbonated and rather gassy. For such a light beer, it is incredibly filling.

O: This beer is not as undrinkable as some have made it out to be, but that is not saying that it is not one of Dogfish Head's lesser efforts. Unfortunately, the generic appearance, horrible combination of scents on the nose, and bloating, gassy mouthfeel conspire to ruin this beer. I'm glad I got to try this one, but I will not be purchasing it again.

mrfrancis, Jan 03, 2012

Kenyont2, Jan 03, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -55.5%

gcotts, Jan 03, 2012

thesarahfuller, Jan 02, 2012
1.33/5  rDev -60.5%

750ml bottle into my mad Fox glass. It poured golden amber in color with a frothy white head filling the top two inches of the glass.

The aroma is pretty unpleasant. I get a lot of spices to it that just overpower everything else. I get a tart, crisp fruitiness and some grainy flavors to it, but neither is enough to cut through the earthy spices. The comparison someone made to burning hair was pretty fitting in my opinion. Probably the worst aroma I've ever encountered in a beer.

The taste isn't any better. Spices up front, something that tastes like rotten citrus fruit midway and some sweet, grainy malts and honey in the finish. Again just plain awful.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being moderate. Overall I thought this was an awful beer. Nothing in it worked for me and I can't drink more than a few sips of this. What a waste of $14. This is definitely one of the worst beers, if not the worst beer I've ever had.

billab914, Jan 01, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

750 mL bottle into a couple wine glasses.

A: orangey clear with a finger of white head, decent retention and good lacing.

S: pretty good. Unique, definitely get the date/dark fruit, yeast, almost soury. Good nose.

T: a bit tangy and wheaty at the same time. Some fruitiness. Yeast. Finishes without any real bitterness.

M: very smooth, soothing, low carbonation. Refreshing overall.

O: a very unique ale. Would definitely recommend. Definitely likable and approachable. Even my wife liked it. My hat is off to DFH for always pushing the envelope.

beerbiatchMD, Jan 01, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Served in a Dogfish head snifter, don't believe me? Check my twitter feed genius.

Beer is yellow, clear, white head medium bubbles, low retention but not from a lack of trying, heavily carbonated, no lacing.

Aroma is grainy, tea-like.

Beer is grainy, arid on the finish. Harsh, difficult to drink. Some tea comes through, a few spices but there is the underlying sulfury harshness that I can't support. Nope, not again.

drabmuh, Jan 01, 2012
3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden orange color with no head only edging and it leaves little to no lace on the glass. The aroma is of bread and nuts with some smokiness to it. The taste has a bread and nut backbone with a slight smokiness to it. There are also some notes of spice along with a fruit sweetness at the end. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall it was a solid beer, it grows on you as you drink it. It is for sure worth a try.

goblue3509, Jan 01, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

Kuromaru, Dec 31, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +17.2%

750 ml bottle. Served in a Dogfish Head pint glass, the beer pours a clear golden/orange color with about an inch frothy white head that stayed around for a while. There's a good amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is bready, fruity and a bit herbal. I notice some wheat and bready malt, but there's also a weird fruity aroma (which I guess is the doum fruit stated on the label), and some herbs and spices that I can't identify. The brew tastes like wheat/grain, yeast, sweet fruit and some herbs and spices (I think that's the za 'atar on the label). Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's moderately carbonated and easy enough to drink. I liked this brew more the longer I drank it. It's unusual (which was to be expected), but I thought it was good overall. I'd buy it again. $11.99 a bottle.

bluejacket74, Dec 31, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -55.5%

duceswild, Dec 31, 2011

AaronBurr, Dec 31, 2011

jaidenjb, Dec 31, 2011

A: Pours a clear yellow-gold with a finger of white head that recedes into a thin ring with little lacing.

S: Some light fruity notes up front with lots of wheat, biscuit, and bready aromas following. There are also some floral, citrusy notes.

T: Light spice notes up front followed by slightly tart and sour fruit notes. A surprisingly creamy bread and wheat flavor brings up the finish, which is nice and clean.

M: Light body with medium carbonation, this beer manages to be both light and creamy. It's also very clean.

O: A unique beer, but I enjoy it. It's definitely too expensive to convince me to buy another bottle, but it's tasty and smells good with a nice body. If it came in sixers for around the price of a single bottle, I would definitely buy more of it.

n2185, Dec 31, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

seaweedsoup, Dec 30, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

I had this on-tap at Max's. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a layer of off white head that leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: I'm picking up a sweetness initially, some wheat malt. There is also a nutty/bready quality along with some herbal/spice notes.

Taste: I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this beer. To be honest, I hated the first sip, but the beer grew on me as I had more. Really weird, bready and herbal. I think I'm getting some of the tea and spice. It really reminds me of pizza goldfish crackers, especially in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a really different beer. I enjoyed my sample enough, but would have been upset if I had paid for a whole bottle. Glad I tried it, but probably won't have it again.

oline73, Dec 30, 2011

beerman999999, Dec 29, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

mendvicdog, Dec 29, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +21.1%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter

A- A clear golden copper color with a one finger white head.

S- Unique, pepper, wheat, herbal spices, some fruit, and a little bit of funk from the yeast.

T- Again very unique and interesting. Getting more wheat and chamomile, light sweet fruit, and some pepper. I am become a bigger fan of this beer with every sip, taste took some getting use to.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- I really enjoyed this beer. I can see how people are disliking this beer, but I think Dogfish Head did a great job with this beer. Going into this with an open wind is helpful, this is not a normal beer, but a unique and different beer that has a lot going on for 4.5% ABV. I will be picking this up again!

larryi86, Dec 29, 2011

Donsmitty, Dec 28, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

served on-tap at the Brewpub in Rehoboth Beach.

appears a very pale yellow color, little white head. aroma is herbal and earthy spice. taste is grainy, some wheat, very flowery from whatever herbs have been used. body is thin, with fizzy carbonation.

Overall - a disappointment compared to their other beers.

jmdrpi, Dec 28, 2011