Ta Henket - Dogfish Head Brewery

Ta HenketTa Henket

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

For this ambitious liquid time capsule, we used ingredients and traditions plucked from Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Ta Henket is brewed with an ancient form of wheat and loaves of hearth-baked bread, and it's flavored with chamomile, dom-palm fruit and Middle Eastern herbs. To ferment this earthy ancient ale, Sam and friends traveled to Cairo, set out baited petri dishes and captured a native Egyptian saccharomyces yeast strain.

(Beer added by: lstokes on 12-20-2010)
drabmuh

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Served in a Dogfish head snifter, don't believe me? Check my twitter feed genius.

Beer is yellow, clear, white head medium bubbles, low retention but not from a lack of trying, heavily carbonated, no lacing.

Aroma is grainy, tea-like.

Beer is grainy, arid on the finish. Harsh, difficult to drink. Some tea comes through, a few spices but there is the underlying sulfury harshness that I can't support. Nope, not again.

01-01-2012 03:00:47 | More by drabmuh
goblue3509

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a clear golden orange color with no head only edging and it leaves little to no lace on the glass. The aroma is of bread and nuts with some smokiness to it. The taste has a bread and nut backbone with a slight smokiness to it. There are also some notes of spice along with a fruit sweetness at the end. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall it was a solid beer, it grows on you as you drink it. It is for sure worth a try.

01-01-2012 02:14:30 | More by goblue3509
Kuromaru

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

12-31-2011 23:23:26 | More by Kuromaru
bluejacket74

3.95/5  rDev +17.2%

750 ml bottle. Served in a Dogfish Head pint glass, the beer pours a clear golden/orange color with about an inch frothy white head that stayed around for a while. There's a good amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is bready, fruity and a bit herbal. I notice some wheat and bready malt, but there's also a weird fruity aroma (which I guess is the doum fruit stated on the label), and some herbs and spices that I can't identify. The brew tastes like wheat/grain, yeast, sweet fruit and some herbs and spices (I think that's the za 'atar on the label). Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's moderately carbonated and easy enough to drink. I liked this brew more the longer I drank it. It's unusual (which was to be expected), but I thought it was good overall. I'd buy it again. $11.99 a bottle.

12-31-2011 22:17:30 | More by bluejacket74

12-31-2011 03:06:47 | More by AaronBurr
jaidenjb

12-31-2011 02:20:59 | More by jaidenjb
n2185

A: Pours a clear yellow-gold with a finger of white head that recedes into a thin ring with little lacing.

S: Some light fruity notes up front with lots of wheat, biscuit, and bready aromas following. There are also some floral, citrusy notes.

T: Light spice notes up front followed by slightly tart and sour fruit notes. A surprisingly creamy bread and wheat flavor brings up the finish, which is nice and clean.

M: Light body with medium carbonation, this beer manages to be both light and creamy. It's also very clean.

O: A unique beer, but I enjoy it. It's definitely too expensive to convince me to buy another bottle, but it's tasty and smells good with a nice body. If it came in sixers for around the price of a single bottle, I would definitely buy more of it.

12-31-2011 02:03:06 | More by n2185
seaweedsoup

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

12-30-2011 22:51:35 | More by seaweedsoup
oline73

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

I had this on-tap at Max's. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a layer of off white head that leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: I'm picking up a sweetness initially, some wheat malt. There is also a nutty/bready quality along with some herbal/spice notes.

Taste: I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this beer. To be honest, I hated the first sip, but the beer grew on me as I had more. Really weird, bready and herbal. I think I'm getting some of the tea and spice. It really reminds me of pizza goldfish crackers, especially in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a really different beer. I enjoyed my sample enough, but would have been upset if I had paid for a whole bottle. Glad I tried it, but probably won't have it again.

12-30-2011 22:29:56 | More by oline73

larryi86

Delaware

4.08/5  rDev +21.1%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter

A- A clear golden copper color with a one finger white head.

S- Unique, pepper, wheat, herbal spices, some fruit, and a little bit of funk from the yeast.

T- Again very unique and interesting. Getting more wheat and chamomile, light sweet fruit, and some pepper. I am become a bigger fan of this beer with every sip, taste took some getting use to.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- I really enjoyed this beer. I can see how people are disliking this beer, but I think Dogfish Head did a great job with this beer. Going into this with an open wind is helpful, this is not a normal beer, but a unique and different beer that has a lot going on for 4.5% ABV. I will be picking this up again!

12-29-2011 02:15:46 | More by larryi86
Donsmitty

Connecticut

12-28-2011 22:46:42 | More by Donsmitty
jmdrpi

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

served on-tap at the Brewpub in Rehoboth Beach.

appears a very pale yellow color, little white head. aroma is herbal and earthy spice. taste is grainy, some wheat, very flowery from whatever herbs have been used. body is thin, with fizzy carbonation.

Overall - a disappointment compared to their other beers.

12-28-2011 04:25:38 | More by jmdrpi
JustinMatthew

3.2/5  rDev -5%

Poured a crystal clear golden orange color from a 750ml into a Duvel tulip. Looks and smells similar to that of a domestic light beer, more over much like the Dfh Pearl Jam beer even a little sweet and yeasty. It's hard to judge the taste of this beer considering I don't know what "doum fruit" "emmer farro" and "za'atar" are supposed to taste like. I certainly haven't picked up on the chamomile. It has a unique taste overall, I get an almost pepper like taste during and aftertaste. sweet fruit, and yeast spice.

12-28-2011 02:57:05 | More by JustinMatthew
michaelmatters

12-27-2011 08:12:39 | More by michaelmatters
AnIslandOfGeese

1.3/5  rDev -61.4%

I have never been more disappointed with a beer in my life. I was so disappointed that I came on here to make my first review.

Color - Looks like any macro beer. Very little head.

Aroma - Smells like rotten fruit and stale Bud Light.

Taste - Awful. Tastes like someone threw up a pitcher of Bud Light into a DFH glass. It does not taste at all like a wheat ale. It taste like unknown rotten fruit fermented into a light beer.

This is the first beer in over a year that I have not been able to drink simply due to flavor. Poured out half a glass and ended up with a horrible headache from drinking this beer. I really thought this would be good after watching the brewmasters episode about this. However, when you push the boundaries of beer, you're bound to make something bad. I cannot recommend this to anyone.

12-27-2011 02:10:57 | More by AnIslandOfGeese
hyoung41

12-27-2011 01:40:18 | More by hyoung41
brendaniel

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

12-26-2011 17:21:16 | More by brendaniel
Knapp85

3.98/5  rDev +18.1%

Split a bottle of this with a good friend of mine tonight as a nightcap from a long Christmas day. This was something I had been hoping to try since I saw the episode of brewmasters that was about this beer. The beer poured out as a much clearer than expected gold color with a fizzy white head on top. The smell of the beer was sweet and had some earthy spice notes on the nose. The taste of this was really interesting to me, I was very pleased with the pepper like flavors I kept getting with every sip. There is a subtle sweetness in there too which I liked. The mouthfeel was well carbonated and had a light body to it. Overall I thought that this beer was a very nice addition to ancient ales the DfH puts out. I have always found these to really spark my interest. I would drink it again for sure!

12-26-2011 08:16:27 | More by Knapp85
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

With absolute Dogfish Head flavor, but yet nothing that has ever been tasted before- this experimental and avant garde ale is both familiar and foreign to the palate and the mind.

This ancient ale starts with a rusty copper and golden hue that carries a modest haze. A foamy haze seems airy and light while retaining and lacing excellently.

Strong and peculiar aromas remind me of the smokey sweetness of buckwheat honey with floral, spicy, and fruity sweetness. Raw and earthy herbs start to give me a glimpse into the fruity and spice additions that go into the brewed blend.

The raw and earthy sweetness of unpasturized honey and smokey buckwheat delivers in flavor as well as aroma. Tea-like herbs of chai, lemongrass, thyme, cinnamon, anise, and almond all play into the spicy and savory mix. Mild to moderate in intensity, the blance of sweet, spice, and fruit is seemingly easy to achieve for Dogfish Head brewers with this out-of-the-box ale.

Medium early on, but the richness of taste and moderate carbonation is quickly dismissed, in favor of a fleeting sweet feel and only a memory of spice and fruit as the finish delivers a dry and surprisingly light texture compared to the initial sweet taste and weighted warmth.

Comparisons to buckwheat meads come to mind because of the smoky sweet (nearly mesquite) character, but the beer holds back on the richer molasses-like flavor and feel of those meads. Instead a licorice note of fruit and spice accompanies the lighter-than-expected body from mid palate through medium fruity finish.

12-26-2011 06:49:47 | More by BEERchitect