Ta Henket - Dogfish Head Brewery

Ta HenketTa Henket

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

For this ambitious liquid time capsule, we used ingredients and traditions plucked from Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Ta Henket is brewed with an ancient form of wheat and loaves of hearth-baked bread, and it's flavored with chamomile, dom-palm fruit and Middle Eastern herbs. To ferment this earthy ancient ale, Sam and friends traveled to Cairo, set out baited petri dishes and captured a native Egyptian saccharomyces yeast strain.

(Beer added by: lstokes on 12-20-2010)

Kenyont2, Jan 03, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -55.5%

gcotts, Jan 03, 2012

thesarahfuller, Jan 02, 2012
1.33/5  rDev -60.5%

750ml bottle into my mad Fox glass. It poured golden amber in color with a frothy white head filling the top two inches of the glass.

The aroma is pretty unpleasant. I get a lot of spices to it that just overpower everything else. I get a tart, crisp fruitiness and some grainy flavors to it, but neither is enough to cut through the earthy spices. The comparison someone made to burning hair was pretty fitting in my opinion. Probably the worst aroma I've ever encountered in a beer.

The taste isn't any better. Spices up front, something that tastes like rotten citrus fruit midway and some sweet, grainy malts and honey in the finish. Again just plain awful.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being moderate. Overall I thought this was an awful beer. Nothing in it worked for me and I can't drink more than a few sips of this. What a waste of $14. This is definitely one of the worst beers, if not the worst beer I've ever had.

billab914, Jan 01, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

750 mL bottle into a couple wine glasses.

A: orangey clear with a finger of white head, decent retention and good lacing.

S: pretty good. Unique, definitely get the date/dark fruit, yeast, almost soury. Good nose.

T: a bit tangy and wheaty at the same time. Some fruitiness. Yeast. Finishes without any real bitterness.

M: very smooth, soothing, low carbonation. Refreshing overall.

O: a very unique ale. Would definitely recommend. Definitely likable and approachable. Even my wife liked it. My hat is off to DFH for always pushing the envelope.

beerbiatchMD, Jan 01, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Served in a Dogfish head snifter, don't believe me? Check my twitter feed genius.

Beer is yellow, clear, white head medium bubbles, low retention but not from a lack of trying, heavily carbonated, no lacing.

Aroma is grainy, tea-like.

Beer is grainy, arid on the finish. Harsh, difficult to drink. Some tea comes through, a few spices but there is the underlying sulfury harshness that I can't support. Nope, not again.

drabmuh, Jan 01, 2012
3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden orange color with no head only edging and it leaves little to no lace on the glass. The aroma is of bread and nuts with some smokiness to it. The taste has a bread and nut backbone with a slight smokiness to it. There are also some notes of spice along with a fruit sweetness at the end. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall it was a solid beer, it grows on you as you drink it. It is for sure worth a try.

goblue3509, Jan 01, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

Kuromaru, Dec 31, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +17.2%

750 ml bottle. Served in a Dogfish Head pint glass, the beer pours a clear golden/orange color with about an inch frothy white head that stayed around for a while. There's a good amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is bready, fruity and a bit herbal. I notice some wheat and bready malt, but there's also a weird fruity aroma (which I guess is the doum fruit stated on the label), and some herbs and spices that I can't identify. The brew tastes like wheat/grain, yeast, sweet fruit and some herbs and spices (I think that's the za 'atar on the label). Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's moderately carbonated and easy enough to drink. I liked this brew more the longer I drank it. It's unusual (which was to be expected), but I thought it was good overall. I'd buy it again. $11.99 a bottle.

bluejacket74, Dec 31, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -55.5%

duceswild, Dec 31, 2011

AaronBurr, Dec 31, 2011

jaidenjb, Dec 31, 2011

A: Pours a clear yellow-gold with a finger of white head that recedes into a thin ring with little lacing.

S: Some light fruity notes up front with lots of wheat, biscuit, and bready aromas following. There are also some floral, citrusy notes.

T: Light spice notes up front followed by slightly tart and sour fruit notes. A surprisingly creamy bread and wheat flavor brings up the finish, which is nice and clean.

M: Light body with medium carbonation, this beer manages to be both light and creamy. It's also very clean.

O: A unique beer, but I enjoy it. It's definitely too expensive to convince me to buy another bottle, but it's tasty and smells good with a nice body. If it came in sixers for around the price of a single bottle, I would definitely buy more of it.

n2185, Dec 31, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

seaweedsoup, Dec 30, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

I had this on-tap at Max's. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a layer of off white head that leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: I'm picking up a sweetness initially, some wheat malt. There is also a nutty/bready quality along with some herbal/spice notes.

Taste: I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this beer. To be honest, I hated the first sip, but the beer grew on me as I had more. Really weird, bready and herbal. I think I'm getting some of the tea and spice. It really reminds me of pizza goldfish crackers, especially in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a really different beer. I enjoyed my sample enough, but would have been upset if I had paid for a whole bottle. Glad I tried it, but probably won't have it again.

oline73, Dec 30, 2011

beerman999999, Dec 29, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

mendvicdog, Dec 29, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +21.1%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter

A- A clear golden copper color with a one finger white head.

S- Unique, pepper, wheat, herbal spices, some fruit, and a little bit of funk from the yeast.

T- Again very unique and interesting. Getting more wheat and chamomile, light sweet fruit, and some pepper. I am become a bigger fan of this beer with every sip, taste took some getting use to.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- I really enjoyed this beer. I can see how people are disliking this beer, but I think Dogfish Head did a great job with this beer. Going into this with an open wind is helpful, this is not a normal beer, but a unique and different beer that has a lot going on for 4.5% ABV. I will be picking this up again!

larryi86, Dec 29, 2011

Donsmitty, Dec 28, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

served on-tap at the Brewpub in Rehoboth Beach.

appears a very pale yellow color, little white head. aroma is herbal and earthy spice. taste is grainy, some wheat, very flowery from whatever herbs have been used. body is thin, with fizzy carbonation.

Overall - a disappointment compared to their other beers.

jmdrpi, Dec 28, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a crystal clear golden orange color from a 750ml into a Duvel tulip. Looks and smells similar to that of a domestic light beer, more over much like the Dfh Pearl Jam beer even a little sweet and yeasty. It's hard to judge the taste of this beer considering I don't know what "doum fruit" "emmer farro" and "za'atar" are supposed to taste like. I certainly haven't picked up on the chamomile. It has a unique taste overall, I get an almost pepper like taste during and aftertaste. sweet fruit, and yeast spice.

JustinMatthew, Dec 28, 2011

michaelmatters, Dec 27, 2011
1.3/5  rDev -61.4%

I have never been more disappointed with a beer in my life. I was so disappointed that I came on here to make my first review.

Color - Looks like any macro beer. Very little head.

Aroma - Smells like rotten fruit and stale Bud Light.

Taste - Awful. Tastes like someone threw up a pitcher of Bud Light into a DFH glass. It does not taste at all like a wheat ale. It taste like unknown rotten fruit fermented into a light beer.

This is the first beer in over a year that I have not been able to drink simply due to flavor. Poured out half a glass and ended up with a horrible headache from drinking this beer. I really thought this would be good after watching the brewmasters episode about this. However, when you push the boundaries of beer, you're bound to make something bad. I cannot recommend this to anyone.

AnIslandOfGeese, Dec 27, 2011