Ta Henket - Dogfish Head Brewery

Ta HenketTa Henket

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

For this ambitious liquid time capsule, we used ingredients and traditions plucked from Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Ta Henket is brewed with an ancient form of wheat and loaves of hearth-baked bread, and it's flavored with chamomile, dom-palm fruit and Middle Eastern herbs. To ferment this earthy ancient ale, Sam and friends traveled to Cairo, set out baited petri dishes and captured a native Egyptian saccharomyces yeast strain.

(Beer added by: lstokes on 12-20-2010)

AaronBurr, Dec 31, 2011

jaidenjb, Dec 31, 2011

A: Pours a clear yellow-gold with a finger of white head that recedes into a thin ring with little lacing.

S: Some light fruity notes up front with lots of wheat, biscuit, and bready aromas following. There are also some floral, citrusy notes.

T: Light spice notes up front followed by slightly tart and sour fruit notes. A surprisingly creamy bread and wheat flavor brings up the finish, which is nice and clean.

M: Light body with medium carbonation, this beer manages to be both light and creamy. It's also very clean.

O: A unique beer, but I enjoy it. It's definitely too expensive to convince me to buy another bottle, but it's tasty and smells good with a nice body. If it came in sixers for around the price of a single bottle, I would definitely buy more of it.

n2185, Dec 31, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

seaweedsoup, Dec 30, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

I had this on-tap at Max's. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a layer of off white head that leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: I'm picking up a sweetness initially, some wheat malt. There is also a nutty/bready quality along with some herbal/spice notes.

Taste: I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this beer. To be honest, I hated the first sip, but the beer grew on me as I had more. Really weird, bready and herbal. I think I'm getting some of the tea and spice. It really reminds me of pizza goldfish crackers, especially in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a really different beer. I enjoyed my sample enough, but would have been upset if I had paid for a whole bottle. Glad I tried it, but probably won't have it again.

oline73, Dec 30, 2011

beerman999999, Dec 29, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

mendvicdog, Dec 29, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +21.1%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter

A- A clear golden copper color with a one finger white head.

S- Unique, pepper, wheat, herbal spices, some fruit, and a little bit of funk from the yeast.

T- Again very unique and interesting. Getting more wheat and chamomile, light sweet fruit, and some pepper. I am become a bigger fan of this beer with every sip, taste took some getting use to.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- I really enjoyed this beer. I can see how people are disliking this beer, but I think Dogfish Head did a great job with this beer. Going into this with an open wind is helpful, this is not a normal beer, but a unique and different beer that has a lot going on for 4.5% ABV. I will be picking this up again!

larryi86, Dec 29, 2011

Donsmitty, Dec 28, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

served on-tap at the Brewpub in Rehoboth Beach.

appears a very pale yellow color, little white head. aroma is herbal and earthy spice. taste is grainy, some wheat, very flowery from whatever herbs have been used. body is thin, with fizzy carbonation.

Overall - a disappointment compared to their other beers.

jmdrpi, Dec 28, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a crystal clear golden orange color from a 750ml into a Duvel tulip. Looks and smells similar to that of a domestic light beer, more over much like the Dfh Pearl Jam beer even a little sweet and yeasty. It's hard to judge the taste of this beer considering I don't know what "doum fruit" "emmer farro" and "za'atar" are supposed to taste like. I certainly haven't picked up on the chamomile. It has a unique taste overall, I get an almost pepper like taste during and aftertaste. sweet fruit, and yeast spice.

JustinMatthew, Dec 28, 2011

michaelmatters, Dec 27, 2011
1.3/5  rDev -61.4%

I have never been more disappointed with a beer in my life. I was so disappointed that I came on here to make my first review.

Color - Looks like any macro beer. Very little head.

Aroma - Smells like rotten fruit and stale Bud Light.

Taste - Awful. Tastes like someone threw up a pitcher of Bud Light into a DFH glass. It does not taste at all like a wheat ale. It taste like unknown rotten fruit fermented into a light beer.

This is the first beer in over a year that I have not been able to drink simply due to flavor. Poured out half a glass and ended up with a horrible headache from drinking this beer. I really thought this would be good after watching the brewmasters episode about this. However, when you push the boundaries of beer, you're bound to make something bad. I cannot recommend this to anyone.

AnIslandOfGeese, Dec 27, 2011

hyoung41, Dec 27, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

brendaniel, Dec 26, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +18.1%

Split a bottle of this with a good friend of mine tonight as a nightcap from a long Christmas day. This was something I had been hoping to try since I saw the episode of brewmasters that was about this beer. The beer poured out as a much clearer than expected gold color with a fizzy white head on top. The smell of the beer was sweet and had some earthy spice notes on the nose. The taste of this was really interesting to me, I was very pleased with the pepper like flavors I kept getting with every sip. There is a subtle sweetness in there too which I liked. The mouthfeel was well carbonated and had a light body to it. Overall I thought that this beer was a very nice addition to ancient ales the DfH puts out. I have always found these to really spark my interest. I would drink it again for sure!

Knapp85, Dec 26, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

With absolute Dogfish Head flavor, but yet nothing that has ever been tasted before- this experimental and avant garde ale is both familiar and foreign to the palate and the mind.

This ancient ale starts with a rusty copper and golden hue that carries a modest haze. A foamy haze seems airy and light while retaining and lacing excellently.

Strong and peculiar aromas remind me of the smokey sweetness of buckwheat honey with floral, spicy, and fruity sweetness. Raw and earthy herbs start to give me a glimpse into the fruity and spice additions that go into the brewed blend.

The raw and earthy sweetness of unpasturized honey and smokey buckwheat delivers in flavor as well as aroma. Tea-like herbs of chai, lemongrass, thyme, cinnamon, anise, and almond all play into the spicy and savory mix. Mild to moderate in intensity, the blance of sweet, spice, and fruit is seemingly easy to achieve for Dogfish Head brewers with this out-of-the-box ale.

Medium early on, but the richness of taste and moderate carbonation is quickly dismissed, in favor of a fleeting sweet feel and only a memory of spice and fruit as the finish delivers a dry and surprisingly light texture compared to the initial sweet taste and weighted warmth.

Comparisons to buckwheat meads come to mind because of the smoky sweet (nearly mesquite) character, but the beer holds back on the richer molasses-like flavor and feel of those meads. Instead a licorice note of fruit and spice accompanies the lighter-than-expected body from mid palate through medium fruity finish.

BEERchitect, Dec 26, 2011

groetman, Dec 26, 2011

FrankyLikesIt, Dec 25, 2011

beerMeh, Dec 25, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +25.2%

A- Poured into an oversized snifter. Starts with a fizzy white head with weak retention and no lacing. Beer is golden in color with some fine sediment in it

S- Some bitterness along with some biscuit and fruity sweetness

T- Wasn't wild about it at first, but it's growing on me. The flavors that are present aren't overwhelming but are just right in that they mesh really well. The pale malt flavor is the most prominent flavor followed by some fruity sweetness and spices. I'm sure the chamomile is contributing though it's not really enough to pick out

M- Light bodied with light carbonation

O- Like I said before, I wasn't impressed at first but it finished well for me. In the end it reminds me alot of a Scottish gruit beer. Baffles me that they released it in December vs the spring or summer as it would be great to drink in warm weather

Cheers

bbeane, Dec 25, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

I remember watching the Brewmasters episode where Sam when to Cairo so I was excited to see this in bottles.

Poured from a 25.4 ounce bottle into my Spatenbrau weizen glass. Pours a pretty dull light golden color. A touch cloudy. Explosive carbonation, created two fluffy fingers of eggshell head. Head retreated to a thin wispy layer. Decent lacing.

Smell is definitely wheat centric. There's some breadiness and malty sweetness as well. Also, a pretty noticeable herbal tea note. Overall, the smell isn't that impressive to me. Pretty pedestrian.

Taste: interesting, definitely a primitive tasting beer. Upfront, it's bread and not overly wheaty. A healthy dose of herbs comes in and that's where this beer goes off track for me. There's a black peppery aftertaste. It's earthy and there is a definite Middle Eastern spiciness at play here, but in my opinion they don't work in a beer. I have to give DFH credit for going out on a limb again, but the taste doesn't do it for me.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light for DFH. The carbonation which starts off so strong is almost non-existent. Definitely drinkable but probably better suited for the summer rather than a few days before Christmas.

Overall, an interesting concept but not for me. The flavor just doesn't agree with my palette. Again, I have to give DFH credit for pushing the envelope with their Ancient Ales programs. However, every time I drink an ancient ale, I'm glad we've come so far with brewing and beer.

pburland23, Dec 24, 2011
1.1/5  rDev -67.4%

Pours a medium amber color with a fizzy white head.

Uh, really? The smell....I don't know what they were going for, but it smells like a combination of sweaty feet and bad fish.

The taste is a pungent, bitterness.

I didn't have it in my mouth long enough to get anything from the mouthfeel.

Wow, just terrible. I actually took a few sips and it kept getting worse. I'm going to have nightmares about this one.

prg1976, Dec 24, 2011