Ta Henket - Dogfish Head Brewery

Ta HenketTa Henket

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

For this ambitious liquid time capsule, we used ingredients and traditions plucked from Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Ta Henket is brewed with an ancient form of wheat and loaves of hearth-baked bread, and it's flavored with chamomile, dom-palm fruit and Middle Eastern herbs. To ferment this earthy ancient ale, Sam and friends traveled to Cairo, set out baited petri dishes and captured a native Egyptian saccharomyces yeast strain.

(Beer added by: lstokes on 12-20-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 626-650 | 651-675 | 676-700  | next › last »
4.15/5  rDev +23.1%

Had on-tap at the DFH brewpub in DE. Poured a clear golden yellow/orange color. Quickly receding head that was small to begin with, though a light ring of bubbles stayed around the glass throughout the session. There was a tiny bit of spotty lacing...overall the beer appeared "thin".

Had an aroma of wheat, bread, corn and sweetness. Wow. Really, really intriguing. The flavor from this beer is incredibly interesting. It is now one of my favorite DFH brews. Bready, earthy, grainy, spicy and sweet...this beer is complex and well-balanced. Doesn't taste like anything I've ever had before.

Light bodied with good carbonation. I picked up a bottle and I hope that this one sees distribution soon in PA!

MsRif, Dec 18, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

First had: on tap at Dogfish Head, Rehoboth Beach, DE

Clear golden color with a slight, white head, that soon disappeared almost completely. After a short waft, I could tell this was going to be a very unique one: scents of wheat bread, grains, a light sweetness, and a certain "I don't know what" that I supposed was attributable to the wild yeast and other unique ingredients--I've never had "Dom palm fruit" so I don't really know what it smells or tastes like, but presumably, that's a big factor here. Very full and in-your-face taste right up front, and the best way I could describe what I experienced was chicken boullion, which I got a strong sensation of up front. After that, flavors of wheat bread, raw grains, raw sugar, and light spice. It was hard at first for me to tell if I actually like the beer or not, because I've really never tasted anything like it. Medium mouthfeel, thick and chewy, considering how light the beer actually looks. Definitely drinkable, but I wouldn't want it in large quantities.

Rifugium, Dec 18, 2011

THECPJ, Nov 23, 2011

BeerThursdays, Nov 15, 2011

pwoody11, Nov 15, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

Review from notes. Had on tap at the DFH Brewpub in Rehoboth on 12/18/10.

A: Served in a goblet. The beer is a very clear, golden color. There was no head or lacing at all.

S: A good bit of wheat, some breadiness, and a light sweetness - probably from the Dom palm fruit.

T: Much more wheat on the flavor profile. The chamomile comes through and there is a light earthiness. Some light fruit, but the wheat/grain/bread dominates.

M: Light to medium bodied with little carbonation. Goes down easy though.

O: In a word, different. I liked it, but it was a little boring. If this gets bottled, and added to the ancient ales lineup, I look forward to trying it again.

mdaschaf, May 09, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +32%

Had a snifter pour off tap at the Rehoboth brew pub.

A - Cloudy clear, thin head that stays at the edge, very loose quick lacing, bright orange in color

S - Earthy grassy notes, creamy almost a hint of green onion?

T - Immediately I noticed how odd and complex this beer is. Lots of mild spices and earthy notes work very well together. Doesn't taste or feel like a beer at all. But, what is beer really? The middle is mildly sweet and creamy and it finishes clean and easy with little after taste.

M - Thin

O - Very complex. One of the most unique beers I've ever encountered as far as flavor. While it does have a lot of "new to me" flavors its fairly easy on the palate as they all work well together to a focused center. This could easily be a session beer. I'm hoping that this one eventually gets bottled.

tbrown4, Apr 20, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Taken from notes @ Dogfish Head Brewpub

A:Poures a nice golden color with barely any head retention at all.

S: Lightly scented with chamomile and wheat.

T: Refreshingly light and delicate with a slightly fruity/citrus taste and a mild malt in the back.

M: Body is light almost flat looking in the glass but a twirl of glass and it comes back to life.

O: Very drinkable and would definitly order this again without hesitation.

nukem5, Apr 19, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +12.2%

This may very well be my favorite (in other words, the most intriguing) "ancient ale" DFH has put out, and it tastes more like I was hoping the others (Theobroma, Chateau Jiahu, Midas Touch, and I suppose you'd include Sah'tea - my favorite among those four) would - strange, unusual, and generally "primitive" and arguably unpalatable to the taste of even some of the more active beer enthusiasts.

Served, at the brewpub, in a medium-sized snifter. Flat, right to the top, maybe some traces of visible carbonation. Dull, hazy, pale yellow-gold.

I dare say it almost smells like an herbaceous-bitter, low-grade/stale, grainy Canadian lager, with a twist - a friend suggested palm leaves, like those received on Palm Sunday at church. "Earthy" could apply. I took my time drinking this, seeing what it would reveal. Late into it, it took on an outdoorsy, lavender soap aroma. Of its ingredients, I believe the chamomile came out the most, followed closely by the zatar (thyme, oregano, marjoram).

The flavor is something else altogether. After watching the Brew Masters episode where they described the characteristics of the doum palm fruit used in the recipe, the "earthy" quality, which leads here, must derive from none other than that. I recall someone on the show was reminded of mushroom when sampling the doum. That's it! The zatar herb bouquet is certainly apparent on the tongue as well, in a marginally lesser ratio to the doum, and mild in its attack. Chamomile and a tiny tartness of wheat fill in the rest. I thought, or imagined, a drop of honey sweetness in the finish as well.

In perspective, the taste is more tea-like than beer-like - I hate to say bland - perhaps expecting something more potent all around. Didn't help that there wasn't much malt sweetness - it drank fairly thin and dry. Such criticisms, such conditioned expectations shouldn't apply here, however. This is what I've been waiting for from the Ancient Ales. Something unique, something foreign (and I don't mean Belgium), something that truly stands out and inspires. I wholeheartedly appreciate the effort taken here do create something interesting. Thank you. Can't wait to try it again.

Bouleboubier, Apr 04, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +8.3%

tap at Rehoboth.

Pours a wheat gold color, mostly clear, with a white lacing.

The smell is wheaty with hints of chamomile.

Taste is similarly wheaty, with chamomile notes and some fruit tartness.

Mouthfeel is moderate with some fizzy carbonation.

Unique beer with a mild flavor, overall mostly appealing for its novelty but not quite fantastic. Still, good and refreshing and definitely worth trying if you can catch it.

Cylinsier, Mar 27, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

I had this on tap in rehoboth. It smells like wild yeast and wheat, with a salt/sesame note, and tastes like a light and slighty sweet, slightly spicy wheat. Think citrus, herbs, bubblegum. Rosemary? Honey? Sesame? I can't identify all the spices.

Light with good carbonation, slightly sticky. Not my favorite experimental dfh but definitely a tasty brew.

lstokes, Dec 20, 2010