Noble Rot - Dogfish Head Brewery

Noble RotNoble Rot

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  9.00% ABV

This saison-esque science project gets complexity and fermentable sugars from two unique wine grapes sourced with our friends at Alexandria Nicole Cellars in Prosser, Wash.

The first addition is unfermented juice, known as must, from viognier grapes that have been infected with a benevolent fungus called botrytis. This noble rot reduces the water content in the grapes while magnifying their sweetness and complexity. The second is pinot gris must intensified by a process called dropping fruit, where large clusters of grapes are clipped to amplify the quality of those left behind.

Noble Rot is brewed with pils and wheat malts and fermented with a distinct Belgian yeast strain. It has a spicy white wine body and a dry, tart finish.

(Beer added by: paulozanello on 02-20-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Noble Rot Alström Bros
nickdank

ambruns1979

01-30-2014 09:08:57 | More by ambruns1979
StoutHunter

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head's Noble Rot a few weeks ago for $13.99 at The Lager Mill. I had a sample of this beer a a couple weeks ago and I thought it was nice so I thought I would sit down with a bottle and give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a 750ml brown bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little weird looking, but it's also a little eye catching. It poured a pretty clear pale yellow color that reminded me a little of a white wine and it took on more of a golden color when held to the light with a finger and half of bubbly white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but the head and lacing were a little weak.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some grapes being the first to show up and they impart a pretty white grape like aroma that seems to stick out the most. Up next comes some signature spicy Saison yeast with nice citrus like aroma with some lemon aromas coming through nicely. Towards the end comes the malts which impart some wheaty and pale malt like aspects. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, the grape must worked nicely with the Saison base.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the grape still being the first to show and they impart that same nice white grape aspect that I got in the aromas and it's follow by a little bit of tartness. Up next comes the Saison yeast which imparts those signature spicy yeast flavors followed by a slight malt flavor with some pale malts and wheat showing up. Towards the end comes a nice citrus flavor with lemon still sticking out the most with a little more tartness and a slight earthy flavors with a sweet, white grape, and Saison yeast like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer there was good balance between grape must and the Saison base.

M- Smooth, a little refreshing, crisp, clean, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was very nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was pretty nice and I thought it was a nice example of a fruited Saison, the Saison base was nice and it was recognizable as a Saison and the grape must wasn't too over powering and it worked well with the Saison yeast, plus the alcohol was hidden very well, there's no way I would guess this is 9%. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, not filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I don't think I would have a problem drinking a whole bottle by myself and I think this was be a great beer to enjoy in the summer time. What I like the most about this beer was the way that the grape must worked with the Saison base, It worked together much better than I originally expected, I also liked the way that the alcohol was hidden and the mouthfeel were also very noteworthy. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad, but I wish the head and lacing were a little more Saison like. I would buy this beer again, but not often since it's a little pricey, I think $10 would be a good price for this beer. I would recommend this beer to anyone who likes fruity Saisons, it falls nicely into that category. All in all I enjoyed this beer and I'm glad that I bought a bottle to review. I'm not a big wine fan so I didn't think this beer would appeal to me much, but after I had that sample a little while ago I released that I was overlooking it for no good reason. Nice job guys, this was a nice and unique Saison, keep up the creative work.

01-30-2014 04:55:25 | More by StoutHunter