Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My AleRobert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Hellhound is a super-hoppy ale that hits 100 IBUs in the brewhouse and 10% ABV. It's dry-hopped with 100% Centennial hops at a rate of 100 kilos per 100 barrel brew-length. Can you tell we're stoked for this mighty musical centennial?

To accentuate and magnify the citrusy notes of the Centennial hops (and as a shoutout to Robert Johnson's mentor Blind Lemon Jefferson), we add dried lemon peel and flesh to the whirlpool.

(Beer added by: jsanford on 03-15-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale Alström Bros
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Pale, somewhat hazy golden yellow color. Nice sized head and some serious lacing on down the sides of the glass. Very full citrusy and lemony aroma. Nice solid "quneching" burst of cirtusy hops. Again somewhat lemony but more of a general citrusy flavor. Definate solid malt flavor to round things out. None of the booziness or burn I was expecting to follow. Nice, creamy and velvety mouthfeel-along the lines of 90 Minute with an added dryness. Very enjoyable beer overall. I tried not to form an opinion on this early on, as DFH is beginning to get a tad gimmicky for me. This is very well done across the board. Seems to me it needs to be enjoyed fresh however.

05-22-2011 00:54:29 | More by lackenhauser
biga7346

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

A - Hazy, golden hue w/ good foam and lacing.

N - The nose is perfumy and spicy with lemon zest, bitter lemon juice, citrus hoppy aromas shine through pretty well as the centennial hops are featured heavily in this beer. Faint hop resiny notes, piney. I like the overall brightness in the smell, makes me think of like ceviche, or fresh cilantro.

T/M - More centennial-like hoppiness follows in the taste, mouthfeel is blanketed with piney hop resin. Some lemon tartness and puckering are kind of overpowered with almost cloying centennial and bitter hoppiness, drying and resiny a bit in the finish. Faint toast-like malt provides structure in an otherwise totally centennial-forward brew. Surprised the lemon didn't come across more considering how much they used. Barely any of the citrus-spice character from the smell followed in the taste of the beer, again very little lemon zest but something more aloing the lines of fresh squeezed lemon juice.

D - Seems like this beer has taken a hard hit from the reviewers, but I think I like it pretty well, I don't love it. Reminds me of 90-minute more or less. And I would agree with another review I read where he said it was odd DFH would make a "keepsake" type of beer that is clearly better fresh. Don't know how this would develop with age but the ABV is high and there's a lot of stuff in it.

05-22-2011 00:20:39 | More by biga7346
jabergess

Georgia

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Had on draft at the Brick Store pub in a Dogfish Head goblet.

Hmmm, interesting. Some say they can't tell thus is a 10% beer. I have to say that's the second thing I noticed behind the hop smell. I take a drink and get that nice warm feeling spreading down my throat and going to my head. It's fairly well balanced for the high alcohol content. I didn't get a hop bite that lingers, its all pretty spreadout. The hops are more on the spicy side rather than the big cascade citrus type. I'm glad to add this one to my list.

05-21-2011 21:05:03 | More by jabergess
webmanspidey

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a DFH snifter. This is a rich golden orange color with around an inch of head. Smell comprises grass, lemon, and hops with sweet cereal in the background. Taste is sour lemon, slight hops, and maybe some honey. This is very tasty without much bite from the alcohol at all. Not sure I'd call this an IPA, as I don't believe hops are the dominant flavor here.

05-21-2011 20:43:17 | More by webmanspidey
marvin213

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Translucent but cloudy, a heady foam caps the liquid. It's like orange marmalade with marshmallows on top. Heavy hop lacing cakes the glass.

It smells of balanced IPA with a hint of lemon zing. If I had a lemon, I'd throw one in for more influence--turns this into a helluva shandy!

Good, relatively heavy malt bill w/ more lemon influence as it warms. I'd say Squall's better, but it's fun 2 enjoy. :-) L8er.

05-21-2011 19:58:35 | More by marvin213
MacQ32

South Carolina

4.93/5  rDev +25.4%

A - Nice orange/yellow color with a 1 finger head leaving a nice lacing behind on the glass from the DFH alehouse in Church Falls 5/2/2011.

S - delightyfully hoppy and citrusy grapefruit/lemon on the nose - perfect smell.

T - Delicous! The centennial hops and lemon are very prevelent and hold their own against the delicious bitterness of the hops.

M -10%? Are you kidding me?? Meduim body+ (7 out of 10). Hides the alcohol well.

O - Awesome beer, the rarity helps, I would take this beer every time I have the option. Kind of a heavier more intense 2 hearted ale (my go to)

05-21-2011 19:46:41 | More by MacQ32
LiquidBread219

Indiana

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

A- It pours a hazy yellowish amber color with a nice head that leaves good lacing.

S- I pick up the lemon slightly as well as some sweet caramel malts, but the hops dominate the aroma.

T- There is great hop flavor with a slight bitterness to it as well as the hints of lemon and some caramel sweetness from the malts.

M- It is light to medium bodied with nice medium carbonation.

O- This beer is very refreshing due to the hop character as well as the hint of lemon and it is balanced nicely with the sweetness of the malts.

05-21-2011 17:40:22 | More by LiquidBread219
Daktyls

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Pours a somewhat cloudy amber color with a foamy two finger head more common to wheat beers. Head retention is good, dissipating slowly while the beer bubbles up from the bottom.

S: Pretty light on the nose to me. I'm picking up some citrus notes a little bit of hops and some maltiness. A bit of alcohol on the back end as well.

T: Definitely heavy citrus up front followed by some maltiness like the nose. There is a linger hoppiness that hangs around after the finish leaving a bitter feeling in the mouth.

M: Malty bitterness is the primary feeling that I'm getting here. Seems like more maltiness that would typically accompany an IPA, but works well with the citrus notes.

O: To be honest, I think I my allergies may be acting up a little bit because I couldn't seem to pick up on any of the huge citrus notes that other people were talking about. I'd definitely give this beer another shot though.

05-21-2011 16:43:18 | More by Daktyls
OWSLEY069

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a lighty hazy orange-ish to yellow color with an off white head. In the aroma, pine and citrus hops, with a small alcohol note. In the taste, orange citrus hops that end in pine, with a small alcohol burn all the way through. A small hop bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry orange citrus in the aftertaste. Big hops and big alcohol, although mostly hidden, quite fantastic.

05-21-2011 15:52:12 | More by OWSLEY069
scottfrie

2.83/5  rDev -28%

750ml bottle into my brand new Portsmouth snifter (thanks Michael!).

A: Pours a clear dark tangerine color with a couple fingers of off-white head that faded into a thin film that left rings of sticky lacing down the glass.
S: Huge notes of mint and citrus hops with a decent amount of balancing caramel, lemon zest, and alcohol vapor.
T: Whoa. Definitely does not taste like the nose suggested. There is a ton of bitterness from the hops but not as much flavor. The lemon is light but present and adds an odd touch of bitterness. Overall the beer is minty, hoppy, but sweet. The aftertaste is full of peppery spices and a hint of bread crust before the caramel and bitter hops set in.
M: The solventy alcohol makes this a pretty rough beer to drink. I don't mind a bitter hop punch, but the paint thinner alcohol coupled with the bitter lemon rind and low carbonation and slick mouthfeel makes me with this wasn't such a huge bottle.
O: Pretty disappointed. Well, not really since this is a DFH beer so I new it was either going to be pretty darn good, or horribly horribly wrong. This actually isn't that bad, somewhere in between the two, it's just that it's a bit rough around the edges and there are dozens of other hoppy beers I'd rather buy. Only buy this if you love either Robert Johnson or DFH. Pass if you love DIPAs.

05-21-2011 02:41:04 | More by scottfrie
joepais

Maine

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Split this bottle yesterday with friends. We poured it into small pint glasses and got a two finger white head sitting on top of a clear orange body. The head settled to a thin lace rather quickly but carbonation was good.

You certainly can smell the lemon citrus in this brew. It was very one dimensional when it came to the aroma, citric hops would sum it up.
The flavor reminded me of the 90 min IPA but with a fresh lemon thrown in it.(yummy) It was rather oily in the mouthfeel but I did enjoy every drop. Do it I think it was worth what I paid for the bottle.. LOL, I say stick with the 90 min IPA. This brew may be a bit to much of a Sony gimmick for me.

05-20-2011 15:04:17 | More by joepais
SeaUrchin

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

poured from a bottle into an unbranded tulip

appearance - pours a golden orange with a thick head that quickly fades into a thin later on the top, light to moderate carbonation and leaves somewhat decent lacing

smell - up front a strong citrus smell, lemon, with hints of grapefruit and orange, a mild piney smell after

taste - grapefruit and lemon up front, this fades into a sweet orange, at the end is a slight piney flavor and alcohol burn in the nose, there is enough malty sweetness to balance out the "100 IBU's" not going to lie i was pleasantly surprised when i took my first sip of this bad boy

mouthfeel - slightly thicker than expected, but the slight carbonation helped to lighten this up, leaves an enjoyable feeling on the tongue a few seconds after you take a sip

drinkability - easy to drink but not a quick one, sipped on these 750 ml for quite some time, great way to unwind after a long week of summer classes

overall - above average beer, not the best imperial ipa iv ever had but damn tasty thinking of picking up another bottle to share with my brother who helped turn me on to ipas

05-20-2011 05:46:33 | More by SeaUrchin
Satchboogie

New Hampshire

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap at Sebago's "End of Era" party. 12oz pour

A: Pours light yellow/orange, hazy, with about an inch and a half of white frothy head. Leaves good lacing.

S: Citrus that is primarily lemon and some tangerine, a bit floral and herbal with some grassy notes. A little pine and lots of pale malt.

T: Similar to the nose and not your typical DIPA. The focus is a lemon-forward citrus with balanced pale malt. Right up front is a lot of lemon, grapefruit, and a little tangerine. Has a bit of spiciness to it. Quickly comes the floral and herbal notes and pine bitterness in the background. It's certainly not what I'd call a really bitter IPA, there's bitterness, but not too much. Lots of crisp toasted malts in the middle with just a little caramel sweetness. Finish is a little grassy with lots of lemon and the toasted malts. A little alcohol to.

M: Medium to ever so slightly full bodied, very crisp and malt with a refreshing finish (love all the lemon). This might be the easiest drinking DIPA I've had.

O: While it's not the typical DIPA nor ground breaking, I found this a very tasty and refreshing DIPA. If this were regularly available I'd definitely buy more. I think it would make a fantastic summer DIPA.

05-20-2011 03:26:15 | More by Satchboogie
n2185

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Pours a clear, golden orange with three fingers of white head that recedes into a thin ring with a little lacing.

S: Mmm, pure pineapple and grapefruit juice on the nose. There are also some orange notes as well and as it warms some pine notes come out.

T: Lots of grapefruit and rind at first followed by a solid blast of resiny pine flavors. Only a light bitterness, though, with just enough malt to balance it out and let the hop flavors shine through. Slight alcohol burn on the finish.

M: Medium body with medium-high carbonation that accentuates the pine flavors well. The bitterness doesn't linger around, which is nice.

O: Overall, quite a good DIPA. It has a very good aroma and does a good job of balancing the piny hop flavors with enough malt to prevent it from becoming a bitter bomb. Unfortunately, at $12 a pop it's far from a good deal.

05-20-2011 02:41:49 | More by n2185
glid02

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a clear copper color with a 1.5-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of pale malts with astringent herbal and pine hops. Also present are hints of smoother floral notes.

Tastes better than it smells. Robust pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by large amounts of pine hops. Midway through the sip the hop influence increases even further with the addition of herbal and bitterer earthy hops. The huge, and mildly harsh, hop flavors carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I didn’t have any problems finishing my glass however I’m not sure about another.

Overall this is exactly what I have in mind when people complain about unbalanced DIPAs. By no means is it bad, it’s very difficult to make a bad DIPA, but it’s far from balanced. Worth a shot if you’re a die-hard DIPA fan but otherwise it’s not.

05-20-2011 01:29:18 | More by glid02
oline73

Maryland

3.38/5  rDev -14%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a somewhat cloudy light amber color with a finger of off white head. A layer of head remains and there is some nice lacing as well.

Smell: Sweet and hoppy with hints of citrus and herbs. There is quite a large malt presence here.

Taste: This beer is very bitter with a lot of citrus peel hops. There are also some pine notes from the hops. There is a sweetness from the malt and quite a bit of alcohol in the finish. I was hoping for a bit more lemon presence. I can taste it, but I wanted more.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation. The finish is very dry.

Overall: This is a good Imperial IPA, but I don't think it was very special. I don't know that I'd pick up another one.

05-20-2011 01:02:11 | More by oline73
BuxMontBeerLover

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottle was purchased at the DFH Brewery.

Price: $12

Enjoyed in a pint glass while tailgating at a NASCAR event in Dover, DE. This one's for you Bri, Coop and Krosha.

A - Pours a deep amber color with a slight head. It appears to be a rather thick beer as the carbonation bubbles seem to struggle to rise from the bottom.

S - Very reminiscent of a DFH 90 or Burton Baton. A sweet, citrusy smell that is the overwhelming aroma of most IPA's

T - A very good tasting beer. The beer really isn't a far departure from other IPA's DFH has produced but the citrus notes are slightly enhanced. I assume this is from the lemon that is added during the brew process. The beer is very strong and the alcohol is really noticeable unlike similar IPA's of similar ABV.

M - A thick beer. There is a slight bitterness to the beer from the hops.

O - I liked this beer. To be honest, although it was really tasty, I couldn't really find a whole lot of difference between this beer and DFH 90 minute. Slightly sweeter but not enough to purchase again for the cost. Glad I tried it and would recommend that you give it a try.

Cheers!

05-19-2011 13:03:24 | More by BuxMontBeerLover
Beaver13

Colorado

3.13/5  rDev -20.4%

750ml bottle. Pours a hazy golden amber with a medium creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is some caramel and crystal malt with tropical fruits, bubble gum and piney hops and notes of tobacco.

The flavor is caramel malts and bubble gum with a little tropical fruit. The finish is charred strong bitterness from the hops. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, an OK DIPA. I don't really care for the flavors. It's kind of similar to the Robert Johnson that I listened to while drinking - I was expecting more.

05-19-2011 04:38:37 | More by Beaver13
Yagman3000

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Scored a big ol' bottle of this limited edition and poured it I to a medium glass stein. Limited head.

Appearance has a nice orange glow.

Smells very hoppy with above average citrus notes because of the lemon inclusion.

Tastes really nice. Very hoppy (100 ibus?!) plus the lemon pulp and ring bring the citrus balance to another level.

Mouthfeel us nice on this. Cloying in the right way. Bitter start with a sweet finish... Quite the opposite of what you seevin a lot of the sweeter double IPAs.

Overall I'm impressed and would but it again. Good times!

05-19-2011 01:03:46 | More by Yagman3000
bonkers

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

I poured from a bomber into a snifter. It pours a light orange/yellow with a medium white head, light lacing. The aroma is sweet and lemony. The beer is very citrusy, especially lemon. The finish has a lingering lemon flavor. The body is medium, and it is well carbonated. A little too much lemon for me.

05-18-2011 22:27:03 | More by bonkers
John_M

Oregon

3.73/5  rDev -5.1%

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a honey, amber orange color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is attractive, showing lemon-lime, dry citrus, and some noticelable sweet malt. The flavor profile generally replicates the nose, except this beer is dominated by alcohol and sweet malt. Hence, despite the bitterness, the beer ultimately comes across as sweet and boozy. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long, malty, bitter finish. Drinkability is not this beer's best feature, as the alcohol is quite noticeable, and is only magnified by the sweet malty finish.

Can't imagine drinking an entire pint of this. I could barely finish the sampler glass I got at Max's.

05-18-2011 20:42:24 | More by John_M
PreacherBrewer

3.23/5  rDev -17.8%

Overall: Ehhh...for the price, it underperformed for me.

It was cloudy golden with a soapy white head. Ok lacing. Smells of lemon rind and fresh cut wheat. clean scent. Tasted like a hodge-podge of hop flavor and minimal maltiness. A little lemon rind brightness was there (I was hoping for some more tart). Mouthfeel was rather thin for a DIPA (if that’s what this truly is).

05-18-2011 18:59:10 | More by PreacherBrewer
ggilman

Maine

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Had this at the Sebago "End of an Era" event on Middle St. in Portland, Maine on 5.17.11.

Clear copper color with a quickly settling head. Sugary malt nose. Typical dogfish caramel malt up front, sticky, sweet and syrupy. Some grassy citrus spicy hop notes, but over shadowed by the bready malt. Lemony with a nice dry finish. Nothing groundbreaking for DFH here, but thoroughly enjoyable! Could sense the citrus added. Felt like an afterthought, like tossing a lemon in a hefe. Everything they make is quality, no exception here.

05-18-2011 02:53:39 | More by ggilman
jzeilinger

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

A - Pours a golden orange color with a mild white creamy head that dies down to a faint ring, carbonation is minimal.

S - Pungent lemon grass, biscuity caramel malt, and light grapefruit rinds. The lemons cut through and is more noticeable than the other aromas.

T - Similar to the nose with big, grassy lemon rind in the forefront followed by a bitter orange & grapefruit rind with big boozy effervescence. There's a touch of spiciness in there as well but the lemons play the biggest role on the palette.

M - Heavy medium body and almost velvet feeling on the tongue.

O - Bitterness and booziness come to mind with this beer. It's very different compared to the other DFH IPA's I've had in the past, it "reads" more like a West Coast IPA with a totally different twist. Hats off to Sam and his band of brewing bandits, I really like this one! I really like DFH's premise for brewing this beer (as read from the bottle label): "2011 marks the 100th birthday of Mississippi Delta bluesman Robert Johnson who, according to legend, sold his souldown at the crossroads in a midnight bargain and changed music forever. DFH pays tribute to this blues legend by gettin' the hellhounds off his trail and into this finely-crafted ale...To accentuate and magnify the citrusy notes of the centennial hops (and as a shout out to Robert Johnson's mentor Blind Lemon Jefferson) we added dried lemon peel... Being a guitar player of 35+ years and an avid homebrewer and lover of IPA's, this beer is the bomb. Setting everything else aside, how cool is it to draw from real people and experiences to brew a really good beer? The inspiration is really neat, and how this was pieced together was cool also. There's other greatly inspired brews out there, but this one really hits home with me because they hit on three passions: music, guitars, and brewing. I want to emphasize that my review isn't based on the fact that I love music and guitars, it's an honest assessment of the beer. I think it's underrated in this particular case.

05-18-2011 01:55:25 | More by jzeilinger
Sensaray

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Fizzly full golden head with an clear amber hued body. Decent retention and light lacing.

Pours out a lemon hoppy scent upon opening the cap. Some sweetness to the lemon upon closer inspection and also a orangy scent. Somewhat grassy.

Spice notes lead to a balanced lemony bitter hop and sweet malt taste. The after is pretty bitter, the 100 ibus are definitely there, but welcome more as i sip. Alcohol is there too, but it adds to the spice note. Some mint, a bit of caramel.

Good mouthfeel. Smooth carbonation and medium light body.

Hoppy and bitter dipa that has some nice balance as well. Pretty good, glad I tried.

05-17-2011 04:15:12 | More by Sensaray